The Rock

8.8

1. Jul 20, 2013
    Never thought Michael Bay could make a movie like this, a classic!
    Watch this even if you are not a Michael Bay fan, it deserves your attention, there's nothing more I can say.
  2. Jul 22, 2011
    yup i find it hard to believe but micheal bay did actaully at one point make a good movie . that would be the Rock. might be that he had some great actors like sean connery and ed harris and others ... also nick cage didnt do to bad eather . its a fun action packed fun ride having alkatraze prison takin over by some ex military soldiers seekin restitution for fallen solders who did notyup i find it hard to believe but micheal bay did actaully at one point make a good movie . that would be the Rock. might be that he had some great actors like sean connery and ed harris and others ... also nick cage didnt do to bad eather . its a fun action packed fun ride having alkatraze prison takin over by some ex military soldiers seekin restitution for fallen solders who did not get the credit they deserved for dieing for there country . the govermnet seeks the help from a lab rat FBI agent and a old prisoner with a mysterous past . its actaully all blends together well the action the story and the acting by ed harris who does frank hummel was great . why cant bay make fun films like this instead of crap like transformers and perl harbor. Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2011
    Here's a shocker... one of my favorite films of all time is a **** Michael Bay movie! But ya know what, that doesn't matter, because Michael Bay managed to actually combine his great action sensibilities with superb storytelling. Everything here is outrageous and explosiony and exciting, but without going so far over the top that it becomes incredibly retarded and irritating, e.g.Here's a shocker... one of my favorite films of all time is a **** Michael Bay movie! But ya know what, that doesn't matter, because Michael Bay managed to actually combine his great action sensibilities with superb storytelling. Everything here is outrageous and explosiony and exciting, but without going so far over the top that it becomes incredibly retarded and irritating, e.g. Armageddon, Bad Boys 2. This is, in my opinion, the perfect modern day action flick. Navy Seals, U.S. Marines, jet fighters, a deadly nerve toxin, Sean Connery being a bad ass, Nicholas Cage being crazy **** Nicholas Cage and allowing us to laugh at him... it has it all. I wouldn't even say that The Rock is all that smart. If you really think about it, Hummel's reason for turning traitor and holding an entire city hostage is just kinda weak. It's just that the moments in the film all work. When those Navy SEALs are ambushed in that shower room and hold their ground, you can feel the terror in their eyes, you can sense the tension and dread looming in the background. You know something tragic is about to happen, and then it does and there's tears in your eyes and your heart sinks. It's one of the most masterful and emotional scenes in any action film.

And of course, the relationship between Cage and Connery just hits on all cylinders. Their back and forth banter and grudging friendship, it all comes together and elevates the entire film. And really, you can go outside of that. It's not just Cage and Connery, but Connery and anybody. Connery trading quips with Michael Biehn, Connery joking with the hair stylist, Connery in a verbal duel with John Spencer's character, it's all just really entertaining and fun to watch. It's sad that all of Bay's films after this have failed to live up to the promise that The Rock showed us. Perhaps he was just more hungry and determined back then, who knows. But even if Transformers 3 turns out to be a turd on the order of the Star Wars prequels, I'll still remember him as the director of this great action flick.
    Oct 7, 2005
    Believe it or not, Michael Bay did make a strong, GOOD action movie, and here it is.
  5. Jul 24, 2015
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................A Classic Masterpiece of action,this one is for the haters of Bay...
  6. Jul 27, 2011
    This is one of my favorite films. It has everything you could possibly want in an action movie: action, drama, humor, a car chase, a love story, suspense and the voice of Sean Connery. And the music is also great. Watch it, rent it or buy it, you won't be disappointed
  7. Jan 19, 2011
    I have to disagree WilliamO. You have to understand that this movie was made in the 90's, back then the movies weren't as good as they are now. Also the movie shows what goes on in the marines mind, what they think should happen. Over all "The Rock" is and will always be my number one movie. This movie is Michael Bay's best movie besides transformers.
  8. paull
    Aug 16, 2008
    Geese ciritc do take sthings serouisly about the movie being bad but THIS is a good action movie with the breakthrough of nicolas cage and sean connery. They had great chemistry.
  9. Tagol
    Jun 29, 2007
    Critics are stupid.At least de negative scores.This film is a GREAT action movie.I got a real pleasure watching it.Very good actors,good music,good story,good everything.
  10. Apr 22, 2014
    The Rock is a fun time at the movies. It's implausible as hell, no doubt, but it's still thrilling. Its scenes of action are tense and well-edited. It might not contribute anything new to cinema, but it's still worthy of a watch or two. Michael Bay directed this one, so expect many an explosion.
  11. Maximus
    Jun 20, 2006
    Where the hell is movie critics going when this film got average reviews. I would give it 7 just for music and for Sean's, Ed's and Cage's good acting 8. Plus this movie does have a lot of sence because, its very true what it is said about American politics and secret missions. There is a loat of drama involved here and a strong ending. You wont be disapointed with this Where the hell is movie critics going when this film got average reviews. I would give it 7 just for music and for Sean's, Ed's and Cage's good acting 8. Plus this movie does have a lot of sence because, its very true what it is said about American politics and secret missions. There is a loat of drama involved here and a strong ending. You wont be disapointed with this movie, actualy you wont be disapointd at all. Expand
  12. Mar 20, 2012
    Probably Michael Bay's best film... and I did NOT mean that as a compliment!
  13. WilliamO.
    Jan 18, 2009
    On of the worst movies ever. Unrealistic in almost all aspects , it screams Hollywood cliche at every corner. The Bad Guys are sophisticated and an deadly at the start, while the recue team is shown to be reminiscant of the Keystone cops, with the exception of the 2 men least suited for the Job. But when thesesame to go against the rest of the Island weare suddenly led to believe that the On of the worst movies ever. Unrealistic in almost all aspects , it screams Hollywood cliche at every corner. The Bad Guys are sophisticated and an deadly at the start, while the recue team is shown to be reminiscant of the Keystone cops, with the exception of the 2 men least suited for the Job. But when thesesame to go against the rest of the Island weare suddenly led to believe that the Bad guys are bumbling fools. Only an idiot would find this movie entertaining, Definetly one of Micheal Bay's worst. Expand
  14. Jul 22, 2011
    Michael Bay's second and second best film. Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage work really good together, and Ed Harris is great as usual. Since it is a Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer film, it has it's share of big explosions and fast edited shots. Good story and acting all the way around. A much better effort for Michael Bay this time around then Bad Boys.
  15. Jun 8, 2014
    Yes, there was a time when Michael Bay made movies that actually had a plot to go with the explosions, and some, like The Rock, were terrific. I had never seen The Rock from beginning to end, having just caught glimpses of it on TV, but watching it in it's entirety proved what I'd long suspected, it was a great film. A Marine General, upset that his lost soldiers never received theYes, there was a time when Michael Bay made movies that actually had a plot to go with the explosions, and some, like The Rock, were terrific. I had never seen The Rock from beginning to end, having just caught glimpses of it on TV, but watching it in it's entirety proved what I'd long suspected, it was a great film. A Marine General, upset that his lost soldiers never received the compensation they deserved for their secret missions, takes control of Alcatraz island, and aims chemical weapons at San Francisco. The FBI is at a lost as to what to do and decide to go with an unconventional idea to try and stop the general. A team of Navy seals prepare to take the island back, lead by the only man to ever escape from Alcatraz, now in his sixties, and a chemical weapons specialist who has never been in combat. Sean Connery stars and even though he was nearing the end of his illustrious career, he gives a truly great performance, that reminds us of just how great his movies were. Connery was the premiere action star, in a time before special effects had been computerized. He really gives an old school attitude and feeling to the film, which helps The Rock stand out from it's competition. Connery is paired with Nicholas Cage who is always terrific, especially when he's playing some type of law enforcer. Cage adds humor, unintentionally, with his inexperience, and winds up doing some pretty amazing things. While I don't like to mention specific scenes in a film, I'd be remiss not to mention the incredible chase scene Cage has through the streets of San Francisco, in the beginning of the film. It was reminiscent of the great car chases of the Lethal Weapon series, and really stood out to me. The Rock is a terrific story, featuring a cast in which old school and the younger generation collide, and to top it all off, it has that Michael Bay spin and over reliance on special effects. It's a terrific action film which sadly is rarely seen anymore in the world of computer generated effects and muscle headed action stars. Expand
  16. Nov 11, 2012
    Why did I watch it?
    This is one of those films that I should have seen but for no particular reason I haven't. Instead I've managed to see Con Air probably half a dozen times. What's it all about?
    Why did I watch it?
    Ed Harris plays disillusioned US general Frank Hummel, who leads his rogue team of Marines to seize control of Alcatraz, taking 81 hostages in the process. Armed with biological VX missiles aimed at San Francisco, Hummel demands funds for the families of those marines who have died in deniable operations. The US governments teams up FBI chemical specialist Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) with former SAS operative and Alcatraz inmate John Mason (Sean Connery) to save the day.

Should you watch it?
    The Rock is a straight forward action film with no regrets. Bang for your buck director Michael Bay's second film delivers gun fights, car chases, explosions a plenty, all tethered to a pretty zany plot. He finds time to squeeze in some instantly recognisable shots, namely the slow motion shots of Cage getting to his feet a la Will Smith in Bad Boys.

The three leads play there characters well. Harris plays Hummel dead straight and manages to give him several dimensions. Cage is his fairly usual character, the goofy, funny, out of place hero. Connery brings some extra class to the film although he does have a few cheesy lines that would make a Bond script look Shakespearian. Producers Bruckheimer and Simpson gave soundtrack duties to Hans Zimmer, who delivers another fantastic Zimmer special.

As 1990's action films go, The Rock is up with the best of them.
  17. Nov 7, 2012
    One of the better films from Michael Bay. At least its not completely soulless.
  18. Jul 30, 2013
    Awesome cool action film great fun watch this a lot on DVD. But over done use of overly dramatic close ups but still a very watchable movie Back when Nick Cage was stable and Sean Connery was capable,
  19. Apr 18, 2014
    “The Rock” is about a hostage situation on Alcatraz. An FBI agent specialized in chemical weapons (Nicolas Cage) and a former prisoner from the Rock (Sean Connery) has to venture into the infamous prison to stop San Fransisco to be destroyed…

The core cast of “The Rock” consists of Ed Harris, Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage. Nicolas Cage is probably one of my favorite actors of all time. Yes, he has been in some, hrrm, questionable movies lately but he is a tremendous actor with a broad range. In “The Rock” we see the crazy, sany, Cage and the dramatic Cage as well. Sean Connery is always Sean Connery. He is just great in the film. Him and Cage’s chemistry is electric. Ed Harris is also solid, delivering a very human character in the form of the general keeping the hostages.

“The Rock” is directed by Michael Bay, you know the guy who uses explosions, hot girls and American flags in every single movie he makes! His movies have been, hrmm, questionable for a while but this movie is very well directed. He brings out fun performances from all his actors and the tone fits the movie well. Since this is a Michael Bay movie it is sure to feature a lot of action and it does. “The Rock” has one of the most enjoyable car chases I’ve seen and the suspenseful shootouts are very well made.

The soundtrack in “The Rock” is composed by none other than my favorite composer Hans Zimmer! His soundtracks are always fantastic and this one is no exception! Suspenseful, and reflecting the action, it is an awesome score.

Fun performances, solid directing, an awesome score and a suspenseful plot makes “The Rock” a very fun movie!
  20. Mar 28, 2015
    Exhilarating, thrilling, and all around intense without taking it over the top, The Rock is an strong Michael Bay work that has the strength to entertain thanks to the fantastic performances, effects, and powerful dialogue.
  21. Jul 14, 2015
    The Rock is Michael Bay's best film without a doubt. The action is great and the plot doesn't get too out of hand. The movie is fun as hell and the cast is excellent. Nick Cage was becoming one of the biggest action stars of the 90's and Sean Connery was well established, even legendary. After watching this film it makes me miss Connery a bit, I thought he was amazing. There are also a fewThe Rock is Michael Bay's best film without a doubt. The action is great and the plot doesn't get too out of hand. The movie is fun as hell and the cast is excellent. Nick Cage was becoming one of the biggest action stars of the 90's and Sean Connery was well established, even legendary. After watching this film it makes me miss Connery a bit, I thought he was amazing. There are also a few laughs to be had throughout the film. If you are a action fan please check out The Rock even if you aren't a fan of Michael Bay's other movies. Expand
  22. Dec 11, 2015
    Bad Boys. Armageddon. Pearl Harbor. When arguing with people who believe the Jerry Bruckheimer/Michael Bay collaboration is a cinematic axis of evil, that trio provides evidence that's hard to dispute. Yet just introduce The Rock into conversation and watch them founder.

Yes, it's got all the hallmarks of a standard B 'n' B production - it's loud and bombastic, it's crammed with orange filters and epilepsy-inducing editing, and it doesn't make a great deal of sense. But set against that is the fact that it's breathlessly exciting, as Nic Cage and Sean Connery break into Alcatraz to thwart Ed Harris' disgruntled general from bombing San Francisco with lethal nerve gas.

The superb action is choreographed with zing by Bay, before he mutated into Jim Cameron-lite. And the film has a real trump card in Harris' conflicted bad guy - it's a rare and intelligent move for a big budget studio venture to feature a villain with an agenda that's hard not to sympathise with.

Luckily he's matched by the quality of the heroes. While The Rock proved that Connery could still cut the mustard as an OAP action star, it was the making of Cage as action hero, his wild and wired approach gelling perfectly with Conneryís gruff demeanour.

And when theyíre not shooting Alcatraz to bits, they're the funniest buddy-movie double-act in years. In short, The Rock has more pizzazz than an entire roomful of Dwayne Johnsons.

Loud and bombastic, it's crammed with orange filters and epilepsy-inducing editing, heroic leads and it doesn't make a great deal of sense. Entertaining action, nothing more nor less.
  23. May 11, 2016
    Seems to be the only lovable Michael Bay film as this far. If he can actually work out and make movies that doesn't have to be the same old clichés every single time (I'm looking at your explosions, Michael Bay!), maybe this might be the first lovable film.
  24. Jan 4, 2016

25. Mar 10, 2016
    This is literally Michael Bay's best movie, The Rock is so much fun. One of the best 90's action movie, this is also Nicholas Cage's best movie he was perfect as Stan Good speed. Sean Connery was cool in the movie as well, His Best line has to be "Your best,losers always talk about their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen." hilarious scene, The action is a lot of fun to and aThis is literally Michael Bay's best movie, The Rock is so much fun. One of the best 90's action movie, this is also Nicholas Cage's best movie he was perfect as Stan Good speed. Sean Connery was cool in the movie as well, His Best line has to be "Your best,losers always talk about their best, winners go home and **** the prom queen." hilarious scene, The action is a lot of fun to and a pretty good plot.What I liked about Nick Cages character is he is "a fish out of water" he has never experienced combat before, which is interesting. All in all the movie is a little cheesy but still a really good time, the Rock is definitely a movie to see Expand
  26. Apr 3, 2016
    A tense tale of rebel military officers who take over Alcatraz Island and threaten to unleash rockets on San Francisco unless their demands are met, this is a pure popcorn picture that benefits heavily from its trio of highly skilled, charismatic leading thesps, an unusual setting that provides plenty of visual stimulation, and a confrontational standoff that actually stems from aA tense tale of rebel military officers who take over Alcatraz Island and threaten to unleash rockets on San Francisco unless their demands are met, this is a pure popcorn picture that benefits heavily from its trio of highly skilled, charismatic leading thesps, an unusual setting that provides plenty of visual stimulation, and a confrontational standoff that actually stems from a legitimately provocative premise.

The yarn has its share of gaping holes and jaw-dropping improbabilities, but director Michael Bay sweeps them all aside with his never-take-a-breath pacing that refuses to allow more than a few minutes to go by without some new dilemma that only action, not talk, can resolve.

Opening stretch is given over to the perpetrator of the dastardly scheme, Brig. Gen. Hummel (Ed Harris), a veteran of every U.S. military engagement since Vietnam. Considered a legend and a super-patriot, Hummel has overseen dozens of covert operations in which men were lost and has reached his limit with the government’s refusal to acknowledge these soldiers’ contributions or to provide their families with the benefits received by those of other combat victims. He is, without question, a rebel with a cause, and a plausible one at that.

But his scheme is off the wall. With an elite unit of like-minded mutineers, Hummel absconds with a bunch of rockets loaded with deadly V.X. liquid gas, takes 81 hostages from a tour group on Alcatraz and promises to launch the missiles on the Bay area unless Washington forks over $ 100 million from a secret slush fund within 40 hours.

Furthering the conspiratorial air of illegal activities and under-the-radar government shenanigans is the emergence of the only man who can save the day, John Patrick Mason (Sean Connery), a former SAS operative who was secretly imprisoned for making off with J. Edgar Hoover’s most closely held secrets.

He also happens to know Alcatraz better than anyone, having successfully escaped from “the Rock” before being put away forever.

Officially, Mason doesn’t exist, but he is nonetheless compelled to lead a team of Navy SEALs underwater to Alcatraz. His job is to guide them up through the bowels of the old fort, and FBI biochemical weapons expert Stanley Goodspeed (Nicolas Cage) will disarm the rockets.

Hummel has other ideas, however, and his men ambush all the commandos except for Mason and Goodspeed, who must then try to finish the job by themselves before the Air Force is obliged to attack and kill all the hostages along with Hummel and his outfit.

If you can’t tell it’s a Simpson-Bruckheimer picture within the first reel or two, the tip-off comes soon enough, when Mason, looking like John the Baptist and about as old, demands a suite at the Fairmont Hotel and a complete makeover (from an incredibly caricatured gay hairdresser) before cooperating with the authorities.

Once he looks sufficiently dashing, he dangles the FBI chief, his old nemesis , over the edge of the hotel and leads Goodspeed on a gratuitously and disagreeably destructive car chase.

He follows that with a brief chat with the daughter he never met, then dons his wetsuit in what is, for Connery, a little homage to the aquatic interlude of “Thunderball.”

Bay, who debuted with the same producers’ “Bad Boys” last year, seems right at home with the macho posturing, tough talk and military logistics, as he delivers a hard-hitting, fast-moving thriller that, if anything, works overtime to make sure the audience will hang on every incident and maneuver.

Script seems tailor-made to extract the particular charms of each of the three leading men. With occasional sly references to his British intelligence background and other Bondian traits, Connery trades winningly on his sophisticated, elegant sense of cool, and callowness of many of the youngsters around him is nicely shown up by his older-but-wiser finesse.

Cage, in his first appearance since his Oscar win, proves equally engaging as a sort of goofy chemical-set geek who must rise to the occasion of proving he’s a man among the he-men elite.

He makes Goodspeed’s early, bumbling attempts to act tough genuinely amusing and provides a necessary human connection in a world otherwise populated by ultra-pumped military types.

Technically, pic is the most well-oiled of machines, with loads of rockets, heavy artillery, planes, choppers, cars, a Humvee and underwater gear providing plenty of toys for big boys to drool over. Lensing by John Schwartzman bathes certain key scenes in blues and blacks so that the blood doesn’t show too much. Richard Francis-Bruce’s editing never lets up, nor does the synthesizer-dominated score by Nick Glennie-Smith and Hans Zimmer.
  27. May 11, 2016
    .................................................................................................................................. AWESOME Flick, 95's,96's and 97's Were the Years for Nicolas Cage Career.
  28. Jun 25, 2016
    Great action movie that wears out its welcome a little. Sean Connery is awesome, Harris starts wooden but warms up, and while I'm not a fan of Nicholas Cage, he is good here. Michael Bay's directing is slick and keeps things moving, and the music score, while maybe not quite as good as the soundtrack for the first Bad Boys, has some great tunes and impact. The story is maybe not theGreat action movie that wears out its welcome a little. Sean Connery is awesome, Harris starts wooden but warms up, and while I'm not a fan of Nicholas Cage, he is good here. Michael Bay's directing is slick and keeps things moving, and the music score, while maybe not quite as good as the soundtrack for the first Bad Boys, has some great tunes and impact. The story is maybe not the greatest, but all the actors commit (especially William Forsythe) and as long as you don't stop to think about it, it's fine.

All of the above starts to blur together after the fifth (or sixth, or seventh) big action set-piece, though. A great movie to watch for kicks, or to scratch the action movie itch.

Bonus points for The Rock not being filled with CGI garbage (CGI was only just getting started at the time it was made).

1. Reviewed by: Jay Boyar
    Jan 13, 2016
    If it's not the most awful thing I've ever seen, it's close enough to make me wince.
  2. Reviewed by: Desmond Ryan
    Jan 13, 2016
    The borrowings from other movies, going all the way back to the car chase in 1968's Bullitt, are heavy. But Bay has three leads to lend weight and dimension to characters who are hardly original and flatly written.
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Jan 13, 2016
    Slick, brutal and almost human, this is the team-spirit action movie Mission: Impossible should have been.