7.4

1. Jun 26, 2011
    I'm actually surprised by the user reviews of this film. This film hits all the right spots. Along with Rushmore, Wes Anderson has already created the new foundation for future comedy-dramas in just his first few films. I'm willing to debate that what Anderson has done for the "dramedy" is similar to what Martin Scorsese did for the crime drama. In tone and pace (not to mention their use of camera techniques), their work will be copied for decades to come. The Royal Tenenbaums is hilarious, heartbreaking, and if you're paying attention, filled with emotion of all corners. Great ensemble cast, great narration by Alec Baldwin, and for those who call it off-beat, I question your rhythm. Gene Hackman delivers his finest performance to date. The best film of 2001, possibly the decade, and my favorite film of all time. Expand
  2. Aug 14, 2012
    This is the most down-rated movie ever! Great director, fu**ing good actor and a perfect story. A superb family, who cant evolve because of their own fear.
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    Rarely do the elements of detaching quirkiness and heartbreaking drama combine to create such an irresistible product. Of course at the helm is Wes Andersen whose (borderline OCD) meticulous craft completely pays off for the enjoyment of the viewer.
  4. Jul 7, 2012
    The Royal Tenenbaums is an extremely funny and devastatingly sad movie from Wes Anderson. With superb acting, exquisite timing and an unbelievably brilliant script, The Royal Tenebaums is perfect in every way. If you want to cry yourself to sleep, I have five words for you; "I've had a rough year."
  5. Feb 19, 2012
    I have found that this movie polarizes people into two camps. You are either going to hate it or love it. I personally think that it is one of the greatest movies ever made, but I like everything that Wes Anderson has directed. It has one of the most amazing casts that has ever been assembled, and every actor shines in his/her own unique way in this movie. If you are looking for a laugh out loud comedy that is filled to the brim with sex, farts, and genitals than this is definitely not the movie for you. If, however, you are looking for a subtly funny, and deeply moving movie that has the ability to stay with you for years to come than I recommend this movie to you.

Side note- I don't know what it is exactly, but I am totally in love with Margot Tenenbaum. Maybe it is her wooden ring finger. Perhaps it is her black eyeliner. Maybe it is because she never really smiles. It's weird. She is so not my type, but I just want to . . .

Anyways. Check this one out.
  6. Sep 14, 2014
    This is my favourite Wes Anderson movie, the story telling, cast and everything come together perfectly. Gene Hackman gives one of his best performances and I can't think of anyone else in the cast who didn't also perform perfectly. Funny, stylish and entertaining.

1. Over the course of 108 minutes, The Royal Tenenbaums drops downward on the humor scale from hilarious to funny to quirky to pretentiously bizarre to chaotic.
    Anderson offers no phony uplift for the Tenenbaums or for audiences. But he does know how to take a sad song and make it better. In these troubled times, that's a gift.
  3. It's a B+, not an A. This would be enough for most filmmakers. But Anderson must contend with a higher standard. It's his fault for being original.