The Royal Tenenbaums

7.5

1. Jun 26, 2011
    I'm actually surprised by the user reviews of this film. This film hits all the right spots. Along with Rushmore, Wes Anderson has already created the new foundation for future comedy-dramas in just his first few films. I'm willing to debate that what Anderson has done for the "dramedy" is similar to what Martin Scorsese did for the crime drama. In tone and pace (not to mention their useI'm actually surprised by the user reviews of this film. This film hits all the right spots. Along with Rushmore, Wes Anderson has already created the new foundation for future comedy-dramas in just his first few films. I'm willing to debate that what Anderson has done for the "dramedy" is similar to what Martin Scorsese did for the crime drama. In tone and pace (not to mention their use of camera techniques), their work will be copied for decades to come. The Royal Tenenbaums is hilarious, heartbreaking, and if you're paying attention, filled with emotion of all corners. Great ensemble cast, great narration by Alec Baldwin, and for those who call it off-beat, I question your rhythm. Gene Hackman delivers his finest performance to date. The best film of 2001, possibly the decade, and my favorite film of all time. Expand
  2. Aug 31, 2011
    The Whole thing about the dysfunctional family, that reunites for the sake of a sick family member (Royal Tenenbaun, played by Gene Hackman, which by the way he was fantastic on the movie), i enjoyed watching it, the final scene I wasn't expecting for that, so that made me like it even more, i do think it was a good movie, with a great cast.
  3. Aug 14, 2012
    This is the most down-rated movie ever! Great director, fu**ing good actor and a perfect story. A superb family, who cant evolve because of their own fear.
  4. Feb 20, 2014
    The Royal Tenenbaums contains all the usual things Wes Anderson puts in his movies. Quirky effective humor and jokes, unique interesting characters, an unpredictable plot and that bizarre visual flair. The fact that I can always tell when I'm watching a Wes Anderson movie just by looking at one frame draws me to his work. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of his best, ever second is enjoyableThe Royal Tenenbaums contains all the usual things Wes Anderson puts in his movies. Quirky effective humor and jokes, unique interesting characters, an unpredictable plot and that bizarre visual flair. The fact that I can always tell when I'm watching a Wes Anderson movie just by looking at one frame draws me to his work. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of his best, ever second is enjoyable and I cannot even stress how ridiculously entertaining the last 20 minutes is. One of my favorite comedies, worth watching as long as you understand Anderson's type of humor. Expand
  5. RD.
    Feb 27, 2007
    Very funny and touching. It is funnier than sex comedies which have only 6-7 big laughs. This has very consistent small but smart laughs.
  6. PatrickB
    Nov 14, 2008
    If you want a movie filled with cheap laughs,silly slapstick humor, or fart jokes, don't watch this movie! It's a sophisticated comedy/drama that makes me teary even after watching it dozens of times. The acting is spot on, the soundtrack is superb, and Wes Anderson's directing has never been so flawless. This is my favorite movie and it deserves to be worshiped.
  7. Aug 27, 2010
    Rarely do the elements of detaching quirkiness and heartbreaking drama combine to create such an irresistible product. Of course at the helm is Wes Andersen whose (borderline OCD) meticulous craft completely pays off for the enjoyment of the viewer.
  8. Jul 7, 2012
    The Royal Tenenbaums is an extremely funny and devastatingly sad movie from Wes Anderson. With superb acting, exquisite timing and an unbelievably brilliant script, The Royal Tenebaums is perfect in every way. If you want to cry yourself to sleep, I have five words for you; "I've had a rough year."
  9. Aug 31, 2012
    At first, I wasn't quite sure what to make of The Royal Tenenbaums, but as you gradually get to know the titular weird and wonderful dysfunctional clan, and experience the same trials and tribulations that they do, you truly grow to care for them. As always with Wes Anderson's films it's beautifully written, and simple but striking in its visual style. A brilliantly talented ensemble castAt first, I wasn't quite sure what to make of The Royal Tenenbaums, but as you gradually get to know the titular weird and wonderful dysfunctional clan, and experience the same trials and tribulations that they do, you truly grow to care for them. As always with Wes Anderson's films it's beautifully written, and simple but striking in its visual style. A brilliantly talented ensemble cast perform for your pleasure, and Gene Hackman is simply mesmerising as the complex Tenenbaum patriarch who is far more than another distant father - he's a real puzzle-box of a character whose layers are gradually pealed back as the narrative progresses. Gwyneth Paltrow and Luke Wilson also stand out as the severely depressed adopted daughter and the youngest son who has drifted aimlessly through life since his career as a professional tennis player floundered. The title cards used between narrative segments of the film, presented like chapters of a novel are a little irritating, and tend to break up the flow of the story rather than link this tale to storytelling tropes of classic literature, as was likely the intention. This is a minor gripe though, and The Royal Tenenbaums remains an engrossing, darkly comic tale of short-lived successes and persistent failures, love and hate, joy and depression, and above all else, family. Expand
  10. Feb 19, 2012
    I have found that this movie polarizes people into two camps. You are either going to hate it or love it. I personally think that it is one of the greatest movies ever made, but I like everything that Wes Anderson has directed. It has one of the most amazing casts that has ever been assembled, and every actor shines in his/her own unique way in this movie. If you are looking for a laughI have found that this movie polarizes people into two camps. You are either going to hate it or love it. I personally think that it is one of the greatest movies ever made, but I like everything that Wes Anderson has directed. It has one of the most amazing casts that has ever been assembled, and every actor shines in his/her own unique way in this movie. If you are looking for a laugh out loud comedy that is filled to the brim with sex, farts, and genitals than this is definitely not the movie for you. If, however, you are looking for a subtly funny, and deeply moving movie that has the ability to stay with you for years to come than I recommend this movie to you.

Side note- I don't know what it is exactly, but I am totally in love with Margot Tenenbaum. Maybe it is her wooden ring finger. Perhaps it is her black eyeliner. Maybe it is because she never really smiles. It's weird. She is so not my type, but I just want to . . .

Anyways. Check this one out.
  11. Jul 24, 2013
    Wes Anderson is truly on display here. The quirkiness of this family certainly shines through with great acting from the whole cast. Good, fun comedy here without a doubt. But, if you're going to watch this, be ready for it to be weird.
  12. AndrewC.
    Feb 1, 2002
    It's funny how diverse the ratings are for this film. It seems that many of you did not understand the comedy behind this film. It was as subtle as can be but that?s what made this film so great. Anderson did an excellent job getting the ideas across to the audience. It is just unfortunate that many of the viewers weren't able to see it.
  13. Nov 2, 2010
    With an excellent cast and a very entertaining "style" this movie is lots of fun to watch. I've watched it multiple times and I could watch many scenes in it over and over again. This movie will talk to a lot of young people but at the same time it's not for everyone. That should not be hard to figure out though.
  14. YoonC.
    Sep 23, 2003
    Far too glib and superficial to work as anything but a series of gags it still has a fine performance by Hackman, a truly inspired oddball character who has done everything in his life to alienate his family and then tries every nutty thing to win them back when his estranged wife tries to marry another. Unfortunately, everyone else is made of cardboard; perhaps endearing but lightweight.
  15. C.Daniels
    Jun 7, 2002
    Subtle humor isn't everyone's cup of tea and, as evidenced by the rest of the ratings, most people will either love this movie or hate it. You may have to be a thinking adult to enjoy the characters in this film and how many of us can lay claim to those characteristics? It is refreshing to see some of these actors out of their typical roles and pity for those who complain when Subtle humor isn't everyone's cup of tea and, as evidenced by the rest of the ratings, most people will either love this movie or hate it. You may have to be a thinking adult to enjoy the characters in this film and how many of us can lay claim to those characteristics? It is refreshing to see some of these actors out of their typical roles and pity for those who complain when Gwyneth Paltrow isn't prissy and Bill Murray isn't wacky. That's why they're ACTORS, people. What a great movie. The more I watch it, the better it gets. Expand
  16. Alana
    Jul 4, 2002
    Beautiful.
  17. JohanÅ.
    Sep 8, 2002
    Simply brilliant!
  18. ChadS.
    Jan 17, 2002
    There's a band named Vanilla Train wreck that made an album called "Mordecai" (also the name of Luke Wilson's bird), which made me wonder if Wes Anderson was predicting the outcome of Cameron Crowe's movie. "The Royal Tennenbaums", to our good fortune, is decidedly not a train wreck. It is the best film of 2001.
    Feb 12, 2002
    This movie has everything that is missing from most Hollywood productions, comedy isn't based on pies and sex and subtlety, which must be a British word or something because it's been erased from the mind of American filmmakers.
  20. Diane
    May 19, 2002
    "The Royal Tenenbaums" was so charming and so delightful, I don't know how Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson did it.
  21. JohnD.
    Jun 24, 2002
    I have not laughed out loud at a movie for a year until this film.
  22. EvanO.
    Jul 10, 2002
    This film is one of the most entertaining, thought-provoking, and enjoyable movies to be released in years. Fantastic directing, superb acting, and enough small studyable details to make The Royal Tenenbaums a cult classic for years to come.
  23. RyanM.
    Jul 19, 2002
    Heartflet, hilarious, and beautiful. Wes Anderson has achieved a kind of film that not many directors can.
  24. KristaB.
    Jul 9, 2002
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. Funny and tragic all at once.
  25. CalistaV.
    Aug 10, 2002
    The soundtrack was awesome! I think this movie was absolutely brillaint! It was poised, sophisticated, and interesting. It caught my attention through the entire movie! I think it was genius!
  26. MichaelE.
    Aug 16, 2002
    Nigh unto perfect. Wonderfully hilarious, beautifully sad. Gene Hackman deserved another Oscar nom, especially over competition like Denzel Washington.
  27. NolanB.
    Aug 4, 2002
    Very Weird, but a very good movie with great acting. It's hard to tell if its a drama or a comedy, but it is brillant. If your looking for a light movie, stay away.
  28. AlexH.
    Sep 3, 2002
    The most amazing piece of film i have ever seen, simply brilliant. cinematic genius!
  29. JennieP.
    Jan 17, 2003
    I don't understand how anybody could have not liked this movie? I don't have to relate to characters t be entertained, i thought it was very funny, and those who didn't see the humor really need to re-evaluate what they think is funny... morons.
  30. Funkymonkey
    Apr 14, 2003
    I found this film a joy to watch, encapsulating the absurdity of the human condition and our ability to triumph despite our vulnerabilities. It was genuinely moving and funny without containing Hollywood's usual mixture of sentimentalility or dogmatic righteousness. It was by no means a classic but as a one-off experience there aren't many films out there which leave you feeling I found this film a joy to watch, encapsulating the absurdity of the human condition and our ability to triumph despite our vulnerabilities. It was genuinely moving and funny without containing Hollywood's usual mixture of sentimentalility or dogmatic righteousness. It was by no means a classic but as a one-off experience there aren't many films out there which leave you feeling so optimistic about life, love and relationships. Expand
  31. AnnB.
    Sep 30, 2003
    I dont use this term lightly but.... every single person who contributed to making this movie is a genius! i have been greatly inspired by this piece of work. much thanks and gratitude from myself to all who made this movies, especially wes anderson. thanks =D
  32. ChrisB.
    Sep 9, 2005
    An astounding film, one of my top 5 of all time! To those who say they dislike it because actors arn't type cast...i have to ask, huh? How can you dislike a film for not conforming to the usual? The casting is EXCELENT, esspecially in Hackman's case, but also Luke Wilson and whoever played Pagoda. This is the way films should be made. Dont expect the usual Ben Stiller/Owen An astounding film, one of my top 5 of all time! To those who say they dislike it because actors arn't type cast...i have to ask, huh? How can you dislike a film for not conforming to the usual? The casting is EXCELENT, esspecially in Hackman's case, but also Luke Wilson and whoever played Pagoda. This is the way films should be made. Dont expect the usual Ben Stiller/Owen Wilson esc comedy, because you wont find it here. That in no way makes it a bad film because the press misinformed people about it's true genre. Life Aquatic is the same, its subtle humor, the result of performances with depth and a director unbelievably good considering his relative inexperience. Wes Anderson is becoming a rule onto himself, creating a portfolio of work that is pushed under the title "Comedy", but is really just an Anderson movie. Like life itself, this film has drama and comedy in equal measure and potency. Some may find that boring, I find it beautiful film making. Take your pick. Expand
  33. AlexK.
    Dec 28, 2001
    Better than "Rushmore," because here Anderson has managed to achieve real emotion without resorting to absurdity or the easy-out of manipulating the audience. A stylish triumph.
  34. DaveP.
    Jan 17, 2002
    I've seen the film 4 times. Without question the most entertaining and insightful film of the year. It's also one of the best films ever made about family dysfunction. Why, oh why, do so many people not understand this film?
  35. ArianO.
    Oct 23, 2002
    This movie is truly funny. This movie has intelligent comical hidden jokes. The best part is that this film is so brillant because they dont shove the laughs in your face like any other movie that in order to be funny they have to show a stupid person smoking Marijuana or having sex.
  36. DanielW.
    Feb 18, 2002
    This movie is not only the best movie in the universe, but it's so great, that it shouldn't even be limited to 'just a movie'. Therefore, it is the greatest peice of art in the entire universe. Futhermore, there was not a bad actor, or excess character. Each part was played perfectly for an all together off beat comedy/drama. I have only seen the movie twice now, but This movie is not only the best movie in the universe, but it's so great, that it shouldn't even be limited to 'just a movie'. Therefore, it is the greatest peice of art in the entire universe. Futhermore, there was not a bad actor, or excess character. Each part was played perfectly for an all together off beat comedy/drama. I have only seen the movie twice now, but both times I got something else out of it. There is so much symbolism and hidden attributes in this beautifully mastered script, that I don't think anyone could count them all. If you in anyway stand against this movie, you should be shot and shot into space, because your carcus does not even belong on the same planet, as the sophisticated ones who can enjoy a magnificent peice of art. Thank you Wes Anderson, Owen Wilson, and yes even you Luke. Expand
  37. ChelseaB.
    Jun 2, 2002
    The best.
  38. DrewB.
    Jul 5, 2002
    Not one of the best films ive seen but pretty good effort. a GREAT cast. it gives u a good laugh.
  39. Richard
    Aug 14, 2002
    Glorious. Funny, sad, with perfect performances and a magnificent soundtrack.
  40. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    The movie has too many working characters. If you broke it up into several shorter pieces, one for Stiller and Hackman, one for Paltrow and the Wilsons, one for Huston, Glover and Hackman, and tied em all together a la Pulp Fiction, it would be tremendous. But there is way too much going on in way too short a film for it to work well enough to be what Anderson wanted, and probably The movie has too many working characters. If you broke it up into several shorter pieces, one for Stiller and Hackman, one for Paltrow and the Wilsons, one for Huston, Glover and Hackman, and tied em all together a la Pulp Fiction, it would be tremendous. But there is way too much going on in way too short a film for it to work well enough to be what Anderson wanted, and probably deserved. And thankfully, Stiller only had one real Meet The Parents/Mary moment, after all the worthwhile storytelling was done. Expand
  41. CeliaK.
    Aug 7, 2002
    This movie was absolutely Brilliant! It may not be the best stupid silly comedy, but it had a lot of depth to it that you dont see very often in any movies today. It was dark and mysterious sometimes and then was very emotionaly satisfying and showed great detail about life. You people who said the movie was terrible must be Mentally challenged to say such a thing!
  42. JayK.
    Jan 15, 2003
    One of the best movies EVER! Everyone should see this movie.
  43. SeanD.
    Oct 8, 2003
    One of my favorite movies of all time! Hilarious, thought provoking, simply wonderful! A wonderful cast. Inspiring.
  44. PatricioR.
    Mar 1, 2003
    The Royal Tenenbaums is a great movie. There are great performances and the screenplay is fantastic. Also, the soundtrack is perfect. A different movie, and I appreciate that in these times.
  45. LawrenceP.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Not as good as "rushmore" or "bottlerocket" but close.
  46. RonL.
    Aug 18, 2005
    How the hell is the user rating on this so low. This movie is extraordinarily funny and smart. Oh I see why now.
  47. MikeF.
    Jul 25, 2006
    One of my favorite movies ever made -- hilarious, touching, weird, and beautiful, with great visuals, fantastic music, snappy writing, and that ephemeral otherness that is the hallmark of true art. I sometimes wish I'd never seen it so I could see it again for the first time.
  48. Davidp
    Mar 3, 2008
    Perfect. This movie is a perfect example of Wes Anderson's vision coming to life completely through absolute control and superb acting. "You wanna talk some jive?"
  49. EmmaG.
    Aug 24, 2008
    Simply delightful! i enjoyed every minute of this splendid film and the splendid acting in it. one of the funniest and best films ive ever seen
  50. WesM.
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hipster sensibility wears a bit, but it's consistently funny.
  51. Harry
    Sep 21, 2008
    This movie snuck by me and i never knew it was in theaters, but i watched it on comedy central and it was great.
  52. JinC.
    Dec 15, 2001
    Wes Anderson is a guy who really understands life. He genuinely gets how desperately sad, lonely, pathetic and ludicrous it is. And Wes Anderson is a guy who really gets film. From his intentionally mannered squared framings and frequent intertitles to the device of a narrator telling a story, he distances the audience just enough to make great tragedies palatable, funny and all the more Wes Anderson is a guy who really understands life. He genuinely gets how desperately sad, lonely, pathetic and ludicrous it is. And Wes Anderson is a guy who really gets film. From his intentionally mannered squared framings and frequent intertitles to the device of a narrator telling a story, he distances the audience just enough to make great tragedies palatable, funny and all the more meaningful. He wrings truth from every exchange, mocks the characters mercilessly and treats them all with the utmost tenderness - simultaneously, more often than not. And while Rushmore felt like a small core of sadness burning under a gay glow of ludicrousness, trt seems to be the converse - a tremendously sad willow decorated but not overcome with sparkling ornaments of mirth. It is none the worse for it. Tremendous performances. the cast is universally great, underplaying everything but in so doing, giving us more in a look than several pages of words. It is heartbreaking, funny and odd and is a worthy follow up to Rushmore. A grand achievement. Expand
  53. ChrisW.
    Jan 15, 2002
    Without question the best movie of the year. Both hilarious and poignant at once, easily Wes Anderson's best movie to date.
  54. GregoryT.
    Feb 17, 2002
    Hackman should have been nominated for best actor.
  55. Ali
    May 21, 2002
    A perfect movie for a crazy like me, I feel like I've known Wes and Owen in a former life. Kumar is the best!
  56. DJW.
    May 21, 2002
    Anyone who claims to have the level of intelligence to recognize/understand the symbolism and appreciate its artistic qualities, however gives it a low score, must inevitably be lying. To be so perceptive and full of wisdom, yet abhor something of intellectual superiority to most other droll theater fodder seems highly dubious. If your opinion of the movie is solely based on your Anyone who claims to have the level of intelligence to recognize/understand the symbolism and appreciate its artistic qualities, however gives it a low score, must inevitably be lying. To be so perceptive and full of wisdom, yet abhor something of intellectual superiority to most other droll theater fodder seems highly dubious. If your opinion of the movie is solely based on your inaptitude, don't even bother cluttering up the review page. Collapse
  57. Double_a
    Jul 11, 2002
    A wonderful world to be stuck in for a couple of hours. Very funny, great characters and spotted mice. What's not the love?
  58. J.Murphy
    Jul 12, 2002
    People who vote lower than a 7 aren't intelligent enough to understand the brilliance of Wes Anderson's directing, Owen Wilson and Anderson's writing, and the acting of the cast.
  59. AndrewE.
    Jul 19, 2002
    How can people not find this movie funny if the have any sense of humour at all? This should have won Best Picture. Hilarious.
  60. JeffM.
    Aug 13, 2002
    Melds the goofball humour of BOTTLE ROCKET with the narrative style of RUSHMORE, creating a movie that's not quite up to par with either of Anderson's earlier efforts. Still, it has enough charm and orginality to keep you entertained throughout.
  61. Anthony
    Sep 15, 2002
    Brilliant! One of the best I've seen.
  62. ChrisBZ
    Sep 24, 2002
    This is a great movie. Sorry todd g, I didn't "pretend" to find humor in this film. It is a rare accomplishment in modern movies; funny and touching, without any sap. Maybe todd g should stick to contrived trite like "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist."
  63. MaxP.
    Feb 23, 2003
    Clever. While the large cast stops the characters from becoming as endearing as those in Rushmore, the film is a treat never-the-less for Wes Anderson's wacky sensibilities and clever camera work.
  64. KevinR.
    Nov 14, 2004
    I love this movie. wes anderson is a genious. he gives such specific details about all his characters, and eventually all of those details play such an important part in making this movie real and good. the humor in it is very dry, but its hilarious. gene hackman and anjelica houston were so good in their roles. watch it and if you loved it as much as i did, check out rushmore and bottle rocket.
  65. raVen
    Aug 15, 2004
    (9.5) It's just good. I love comedy that talks up to its audience. We now know the result of throwing the disparate talents of vets like Hackman, Huston, Glover, and Murray together with young guns the likes of Stiller, the Wilson Brothers, and Platrow: the playing field gets raised a notch or two.
  66. tonyb.
    Oct 23, 2005
    This is my favorite movie of all time simply because it has the best of both worlds. its an intelligent comedy with good drama and good character study it tells you why these characters are they way they are and u can acctually feel for them and can acctually see a family being like that. I think wes anderson is one of the greatest director/screen writters ever. great writting great This is my favorite movie of all time simply because it has the best of both worlds. its an intelligent comedy with good drama and good character study it tells you why these characters are they way they are and u can acctually feel for them and can acctually see a family being like that. I think wes anderson is one of the greatest director/screen writters ever. great writting great characters an great camera angles in all of his films i havent seen one i havent seen a single film I havent LOVED that wes anderson has created and you poeple are stupid who say you only like this film because you want to feel intelligent you're a moron. Expand
  67. christophs.
    Apr 17, 2005
    One of my all-time top favourites.
  68. SeanR.
    Apr 13, 2006
    If you gave this a zero... then you don't understand wes anderson. His humor is in the characters and it takes a few times of watching to fully apreciate it sometimes.
  69. ArnoldP.
    Dec 14, 2001
    The ultimate cast of too many quirky, highly neurotic characters but masterfully directed to provide some sophisticated chuckles. Gene Hackman as the patriach gives a tour de force performance worth the price of admission alone. Definate not for folks who loved the broad humor of, i.e. "The Trouble With Mary."
  70. JeremyM.
    Nov 14, 2002
    Gene Hackman delivers one of the strongest performances of his career in this unique comedy-drama. The rest of the cast lifts the material, which is pretty solid but suffered from some skimpy characterazation.
  71. Sep 14, 2014
    This is my favourite Wes Anderson movie, the story telling, cast and everything come together perfectly. Gene Hackman gives one of his best performances and I can't think of anyone else in the cast who didn't also perform perfectly. Funny, stylish and entertaining.
  72. Sep 3, 2014
    The definitive Wes Anderson masterpiece. The Royal Tenenbaums is one of the quirkiest films of all-time. And yes, quirky does often attribute to quality filmmaking--especially in the hands of Wes Anderson.
  73. Jun 25, 2012
    Una película que es difícil de catalogar, ya comienza a generar expectativas. ¿Comedia o drama? Antípodas que rara vez permiten compartir protagonismo con igual intensidad. The Royal Tenenbaums es una película que se debate entre estos dos géneros, que el ingenioso guión permite deleitarse con impresionantes actuaciones y navegar entreUna película que es difícil de catalogar, ya comienza a generar expectativas. ¿Comedia o drama? Antípodas que rara vez permiten compartir protagonismo con igual intensidad. The Royal Tenenbaums es una película que se debate entre estos dos géneros, que el ingenioso guión permite deleitarse con impresionantes actuaciones y navegar entre sonrisas pícaras y duelos de vida. Una postura arriesgada que divide al público entre desconcierto y aclamación, un filme que abre el camino de consolidación a un director por su particular propuesta estética y manera de ironizar realidades.
    Reseña completa: http://cineplacebos.webnode.es/news/un-mundo-en-una-familia/
  74. May 30, 2016
    An indescribably brilliant piece of cinematic storytelling and the first true "Wes Anderson" movie to come out of Wes Anderson. "The Royal Tenenbaums" is high above the audience's heads, but still somehow down to the proverbial earth. It's absolutely hilarious in delivering its quirky eccentricities, but also truly heartbreaking when it pauses for its deep moments of reflection. It's bothAn indescribably brilliant piece of cinematic storytelling and the first true "Wes Anderson" movie to come out of Wes Anderson. "The Royal Tenenbaums" is high above the audience's heads, but still somehow down to the proverbial earth. It's absolutely hilarious in delivering its quirky eccentricities, but also truly heartbreaking when it pauses for its deep moments of reflection. It's both frustrating and endearing, childish and refined, droll and flavorful, ribald and prudish, etc. - all at once. In the film, one of the superbly well-realized characters aptly states, "I always wanted to be a Tenenbaum." And, simply put, after sitting through the entirety of this piece, so do I. Expand
  75. Jul 20, 2014
    In my own opinion this has got to be one of the most underrated comedy-dramas of the decade, It has a very unique mood, has a great appropriate and not overused amount of comedy and drama, great writing from Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson, Great performances from Hackman, Huston, Stiller, Paltrow, Glover, Murray and the Wilson brothers

1. Over the course of 108 minutes, The Royal Tenenbaums drops downward on the humor scale from hilarious to funny to quirky to pretentiously bizarre to chaotic.
    Anderson offers no phony uplift for the Tenenbaums or for audiences. But he does know how to take a sad song and make it better. In these troubled times, that's a gift.
  3. It's a B+, not an A. This would be enough for most filmmakers. But Anderson must contend with a higher standard. It's his fault for being original.