The Savages

1. Nov 26, 2011
    Hoffman was his usual fantastic self, and thats about it. Really dull, boring movie, worth it only for the rather witty theatre references. Avoid, unless you want to sleep
  2. JaneH
    May 8, 2008
    A little too real life. Boring and forgettable everyday life. What was the point? I can't believe I stayed awake through the whole one note lull of a sleeper.
  3. DM
    Jan 1, 2008
    The acting was okay, but the movie was depressing and didn't leave me feeling anything different then before I came in.
  4. MarkM.
    Apr 28, 2008
    I expected a witty, biting, Noah Baumbach kind of movie. I was very disappointed. I found it droning, tedious, and Laura Linney downright annoying.
  5. CydneyB.
    Dec 22, 2007
    This film was one of the worst I've ever seen... bleak, depressing, boring, interminable. The 2 cute quips in the trailer are all you get ... Linney's a pathetic whiner, Hoffman is perfect but the character so flawed you don't give a damn, and I'd have let the father rot in the nursing home w/o a second thought. Yuk.

1. The Savages is terrific -- a movie of uncommon appreciation for the nature and nurture that go into making us who we are, a perfectly calibrated drama both compassionate and unsentimental.
    The interaction between Hoffman and Linney makes following their characters from their winter of hard experience to a spring of renewed hope well worth the while.
  3. It is more sad-funny than funny-funny, but Jenkins has enough empathy and wit to realize that even the sad parts are, somehow, funny.