The Savages

7.4

1. Sep 3, 2014
    Siblings' look at life, death, relationships and love. I never would have anticipated Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney as an on-screen match, but they are!
  2. RobertI.
    Feb 2, 2008
    Wallows in the grunge of everyday pain without the necessary drama to elevate the action. Dirty countertops, scarred lives, and a nursing home that doesn't look as soiled as it might. Real life has more tang.
  3. ET.
    Dec 3, 2007
    It was good -- but not great. a little slow / boring in the second act.
  4. FredG
    Jan 2, 2008
    This movie will mean more to people who have experienced the nursing home option with their own parent(s). It handles the difficult subjects well and honestly, but does not deliver on the true difficulty a senior experiences in a nursing home. The father adapted to the nursing home too gracefully and died too quickly. I hope to one day see an honest portrayal of the nursing home This movie will mean more to people who have experienced the nursing home option with their own parent(s). It handles the difficult subjects well and honestly, but does not deliver on the true difficulty a senior experiences in a nursing home. The father adapted to the nursing home too gracefully and died too quickly. I hope to one day see an honest portrayal of the nursing home experience, including its impact on the "client" and his family. This film tries and succeeds on many levels, which is why I rate it a six. I also recommend "With Honors". Joe Pesci and Brendon Frazer really drive the eldercare issue home. The ending of The Savages is interesting to say the least. Without blowing the ending, I'll just say that guilt plays a interesting role in Linney's decision. Expand
  5. AgathaX
    Mar 4, 2008
    Real life is simply not this relentlessly bleak unless you work at it very hard. Phllip Seymour Hoffman was the highlight, bringing what bits of humor there were, though his character was the least involved. The best I can say about Laura Linney was that she was convincingly unlikeable. Except on rare occasions where she was unconvincingly unlikeable--as when she wrestled a pillow out of Real life is simply not this relentlessly bleak unless you work at it very hard. Phllip Seymour Hoffman was the highlight, bringing what bits of humor there were, though his character was the least involved. The best I can say about Laura Linney was that she was convincingly unlikeable. Except on rare occasions where she was unconvincingly unlikeable--as when she wrestled a pillow out of the embrace of a wheelchair bound elderly woman, or told her brother a whopper befitting an 8 year old. When I saw the film, about 3/4 of the way into the picture an old man in the back yelled out that this was a stupid move. Right there with ya brother. A friend and I who suffered through the Squid and the Whale and both consider it one of the most unpleasant and pointless movies we have ever sat through (albeit well acted) use that as landmark for measuring how bad a movie is. This was slightly better than Squid and Whale. Expand
  6. MatthewB
    Jun 8, 2009
    Mediocre, predictable, god-awfully sincere writing almost drowns three fine actors.
  7. DWilly
    Dec 7, 2007
    If it had maintained the quality of its first twenty minutes, this film might deserve the good reviews; but without any real plot to speak of, a muddy tone, behind the beat editing and by-the-munbers camera work, it required the quality of the acting (especially Phillip Seymour Hoffman who really seems to be hitting his fantastic, egoless stride) to keep this thing watchable. Bad title.
  8. KenN.
    Apr 20, 2008
    A mildly interesting failure of a film that aims to depict 2 "realistic" adult characters suddenly faced with taking care of their elder father. The tone of the film is almost constantly off kilter. Sure I get the few dark comic moments but those scenes arent that clever or memorable. Meanwhile most of the film is unrelentingly depressing. The lead actors do a fine job but it really A mildly interesting failure of a film that aims to depict 2 "realistic" adult characters suddenly faced with taking care of their elder father. The tone of the film is almost constantly off kilter. Sure I get the few dark comic moments but those scenes arent that clever or memorable. Meanwhile most of the film is unrelentingly depressing. The lead actors do a fine job but it really doesnt matter. The film is a pointless bore with a too-easy ending. Expand
  9. KaseyS.
    Mar 17, 2008
    I must have missed something. I love both actors, but did not see what all of the fuss is about. Story is flat and unreedeming. The actors make it watchable.
  10. JohnC
    Dec 22, 2007
    A depressing look at a depressing subject. Ignore all references to "comedy" or "funny" or you will be misled. Beautifully acted, of course. Putting Laura Linney in a dark wig was a big mistake. And will someone please buy the DP a tripod!

1. The Savages is terrific -- a movie of uncommon appreciation for the nature and nurture that go into making us who we are, a perfectly calibrated drama both compassionate and unsentimental.
    The interaction between Hoffman and Linney makes following their characters from their winter of hard experience to a spring of renewed hope well worth the while.
  3. It is more sad-funny than funny-funny, but Jenkins has enough empathy and wit to realize that even the sad parts are, somehow, funny.