The Shawshank Redemption

9.1

1. Dec 23, 2011
    The greatest movie set in a prison I've ever seen! Its full of courage from Tim Robbins to survive prison and no matter what the differences between him and Morgan Freeman and all the other prisoners, no matter what violence comes up, no matter their crimes, no matter what crazy or illegal things they have to do to survive prison, no matter what the warden does to Tim Robbins, togetherThe greatest movie set in a prison I've ever seen! Its full of courage from Tim Robbins to survive prison and no matter what the differences between him and Morgan Freeman and all the other prisoners, no matter what violence comes up, no matter their crimes, no matter what crazy or illegal things they have to do to survive prison, no matter what the warden does to Tim Robbins, together prison is awesome and they can redeem themselves. Movies like this show what would happen if prisoners accept people's differences and redeem themselves from their crimes and that's good thing because people don't need to act like idiots in prison. Despite the graphic violence in this movie in the beginning, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman used friendship to forget prison and made each other good people and they were great people! Whoever does NOT like this movie is a bully and needs lighten up because this is a light-heart movie of teaching you the lessons of prison. Expand
  2. Jun 3, 2012
    Powerful, emotionally satisfying, and thought-provoking, "The Shawshank Redemption" is a timeless classic that gets better with every viewing. It has a profound message about hope, and is truly wonderful to behold. "The Shawshank Redemption" is the best movie of all time.
  3. Aimz
    Nov 20, 2007
    Grim though an uplifting movie... an amazing like fairytale of incarceration and emancipation. Brillant! Morgan freeman is an absolute legend.
  4. JessB.
    Sep 22, 2007
    This movie is the one that if I see a 1/2 second on TV, I can't change the channel. Morgan Freeman is incredible, his best preformance I have seen from him. Tim Robbins plays Andy well as a man suffering the "time and pressure aspect of prison. The supporting cast is so good. They really make the movie a great success. Should be among the top 100 of all time.
  5. EH.
    Mar 8, 2008
    This is one the most watchable movies of all times. Morgan Freeman is miraculous.
  6. D.J.Skippen
    Sep 16, 2008
    Good.
  7. TroyB.
    Oct 24, 2008
    Best all time. Everytime you watch it you find more to like about it.
  8. MuhammadZ.
    Jun 28, 2008
    Quietly moving, yet startlingly beautiful, this tale of a man's quest for redemption and the incontrovertible power of hope is, without a doubt, one of the finest cinematic achievements of the modern age.
  9. Aug 25, 2010
    its completely flawless!!! after watching this movie recently on my computer, i cried. i cried not because it was sad, but because it was suck a beautiful and perfect movie. i really dont see why it didnt get best picture, i will admit that forrest gump was a very good movie that i almost cried from watching (because it was sad), but its not better than shawshank. there was 1 thing thatits completely flawless!!! after watching this movie recently on my computer, i cried. i cried not because it was sad, but because it was suck a beautiful and perfect movie. i really dont see why it didnt get best picture, i will admit that forrest gump was a very good movie that i almost cried from watching (because it was sad), but its not better than shawshank. there was 1 thing that the movie didnt need (Brooks out of jail), but it did add a new and important theme, so i guess i take that back. yea, this movie is perfect Expand
  10. Aug 23, 2010
    Banker gets two life sentences for killing his wife & her lover, quiet in jail, gets beaten up, makes friends with "fixer", does the books for the guards, upsets prison boss, prison boss makes things unpleasant....
    Terrific film which I had never seen all the way through. Quality acting throughout from all the cast (Clancy Brown is scary whatever he plays) & it really does drag you in from the start.
    It's funny, tragic & heart warming, very well written & a film you could go back to again & again.
  11. Oct 7, 2011
    Probably one of the best films I have ever seen in my young life. Giving this a 10 won't do it justice. The Shawshank Redemption is just pure story telling at its best. No wasted moments and no pause of time ,just absolute, pure narrative. The cast is perfect with Morgan Freeman as Red completely stealing the show with his soothing narration style while Tim Robbins gives out a really greatProbably one of the best films I have ever seen in my young life. Giving this a 10 won't do it justice. The Shawshank Redemption is just pure story telling at its best. No wasted moments and no pause of time ,just absolute, pure narrative. The cast is perfect with Morgan Freeman as Red completely stealing the show with his soothing narration style while Tim Robbins gives out a really great performance; a falsely convicted man who keeps it to himself. A film about hope and friendship in the toughest of situations, Shawshank is uplifting, provocative and awe inspiring. An absolute must watch. Expand
  12. Feb 3, 2011
    I can see why people have voted this their all-time favourite movie. I was actually amazed that by the time the credits rolled at the end that I had been sitting there for over 2 hours. The time flied by very fast. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were fantastic and were very convincing in their roles. Freeman's voiceovers throughout truly made me, as a viewer, understand what he and theI can see why people have voted this their all-time favourite movie. I was actually amazed that by the time the credits rolled at the end that I had been sitting there for over 2 hours. The time flied by very fast. Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman were fantastic and were very convincing in their roles. Freeman's voiceovers throughout truly made me, as a viewer, understand what he and the other prisoners were feeling and going through. The story was adapted extremely well from Stephen King's novella and is a story in which many meanings can be taken from it. Easily a film that I will watch over and over again. Expand
  13. Feb 6, 2011
    Wow. this movie is so good that i can't even describe it. How emotionally attached at the end of the film it almost made me cry. It is by far the best Morgan freeman movie ever. One of the greatest films of all time. They way that the director per-trades the way prison is is incredible. The way of how friendship is so powerful.
  14. Aug 11, 2012
    This truly is a masterpiece. And not much more needs to be said than that. If you haven't seen this yet, you are missing out on one of filming's finest moments.
  15. Jul 25, 2012
    A beautifully personal film with fantastic acting and a well crafted story makes this film deserved of all the praise it has received over the years. It really should have won Best Picture.
  16. Jul 6, 2011
    Im not gonna claim this is the best movie ever made, but its close.
    The story sucks you in, and yes, it is quite a long movie but you really dont notice it at all. It grips you and doesnt let go until the very end.

This is an absolute classic film and deserves to be seen by anyone even remotely interested in movies.
  17. Jan 9, 2012
  18. Aug 30, 2011
    This movie is completely amazing, everything was perfect, and the ending, the way he escaped jail, just fantastic, original, awesome with great performances, Morgan Freeman just kicked ass in this film, Frank Darabont was able to write such an amazing story, so I' am very happy with the final result of this movie.
  19. Sep 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. no words that i can think of even comes close of how amazing this movie really is. its funny, thrilling and bone chilling. what i really love about this movie is that you really feel for the characters as if they were family. when brookes committed suicide i was holding on a pillow shouting NOOOOO. best movie i have ever seen. no movie comes close to this masterpiece. not godfarther, LOTR, goodfellas, star wars, or indiana jones. a perfect movie. Expand
  20. Apr 6, 2012
    Great movie with fantastic performances by Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. My all time favourite and a film that you will not easily forget. If ou really want a film whereas you gain a real connection to the characters than this is the film for you.
  21. Mar 1, 2014
    Wonderful, amazing, glorious, are three words to describe this masterpiece. The acting was good, and the plot better. This film shows us the strength of the human spirit, true friendship and especially what we all crave, desire and trust dnifĂ­ciles situations, hope.
  22. Mar 23, 2014
    I used to say fight club was my favorite movie but now I say shawshank is my favorite movie. I love a movie about hope. Not many movies can pull hope off like this one. if you are going through a hard time you should watch this movie I say this is my favorite movie. I give this movie a 10 out of 10. Thanks for reading.
  23. JorisV.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Beautiful. Very good, but not exceptional. 8,5 really.
  24. RoryP.
    Jul 13, 2008
    Overrated.
  25. Jun 27, 2012
    I felt it was the perfect movie. A great movie to watch with a family. Stephen king knows how to make a story. Filled me with emotion such as anger, sadness, happyness. It should have won best picture in 1994.
  26. Dec 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my opinion this movie is really overrated. No real emotional scenes and the worst part of this movie is its "Happy End" in its pink colors. I hardly rate it 4/10. Expand
  27. Jul 22, 2013
    I've never understood the love given to this pile of prison cliches. Yes, the leads are good actors, but that doesn't make the movie much better. I read an Esquire poll once that listed this as one of the male voters' top 10 movies of all time, and after the listing, Esquire wrote (huh?) couldn't agree more.
  28. Mar 6, 2015
    the worst film ever made.the character is dull, the story are pretty mediocre. just pointless for 2.5 hours. it waste my time. i really dont understand why people vote this rubbish so highly
  29. barry
    Aug 2, 2005
    Easily the most over-rated movie ever. Wooden, cliched, un-realistic.
  30. BennyM
    Feb 8, 2009
    Extremely overrated. Morgan Freeman gave a nice performance however Tim Robbins possessed no emotion whatsoever and I cared little if even at all for any of the characters. Not particularly well written with a warm message that is delivered over an overly long period of time.

1. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Sep 24, 2016
    In the lead roles, both Robbins and Freeman are outstanding, layering their performances with snippets of individuality: Their small, daily sustenances and minor triumphs are wonderfully inspiring.
    It's the no-bull performances that hold back the flood of banalities. Robbins and Freeman connect with the bruised souls of Andy and Red to create something undeniably powerful and moving.
  3. Gripping...compelling.