The Shawshank Redemption

9.0

1. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Way too manipulative from start to finish though well-crafted in most aspects. If you want some schlocky moral sermon to be whispered into your ears and want a nice warm hug and a big fat juicy kiss to be reminded that bad guys get their comeuppance and good guys end up in paradise, this is for you.
  2. KraigJ.
    Jun 1, 2007
    An excellent, near perfect film which helps show us that there can be good in anybody, you finish it feeling all warm inside.
  3. SantinoS.
    May 9, 2003
    As good or great as this movie is a lot of people tend to overlook 1 major flaw,i.e the very pc race relations potrayed which make this film a little inauthentic,there isn't even a hint of racism in the movie and considering the time period this movie is set in,america from the late 40's to the late 60's,it feels the director and writer darabont did not want to bring up theAs good or great as this movie is a lot of people tend to overlook 1 major flaw,i.e the very pc race relations potrayed which make this film a little inauthentic,there isn't even a hint of racism in the movie and considering the time period this movie is set in,america from the late 40's to the late 60's,it feels the director and writer darabont did not want to bring up the racism issue in order to dilute the feel good factor of the film, hence the race relations in this film feel fake. Expand
  4. AndrewM.
    May 17, 2004
    This film can be summed up in one word (or several similar adjectives): resplendent! It is so well conceived, developed and confirmed that unless you were bored by it (!!!) you could not rate it any other way. A totally immersing and rousing movie that is one of the finest films I have seen. My belief in this is strengthened by the fact everyone I know feels the same way.
  5. NinjaMafia
    Nov 10, 2003
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] I can't remember when I first saw this film but, my god, is it a god damn good film. The film tells the story of a wrongfully imprisoned man trying to live on the inside. He then starts to befriend a lifer that "knows how to get things". Thus, the wrongfully convicted, Andy Dufresne, begins to live on the inside and try to work on his old hobbies. Andy then[***PLOT REVELATIONS***] I can't remember when I first saw this film but, my god, is it a god damn good film. The film tells the story of a wrongfully imprisoned man trying to live on the inside. He then starts to befriend a lifer that "knows how to get things". Thus, the wrongfully convicted, Andy Dufresne, begins to live on the inside and try to work on his old hobbies. Andy then helps a guard with some financial trouble which then starts to make other guards want his financial advice. Eventually, The warden wants Dufrenes' help. The warden then starts to launder money but have Andy cover up the tracks by creating a fake person. I don't want to reveal any more of the plot so let me just say this, this is a really good movie about prison, a REALLY good movie. The plot was deep and beleviable. This film could have been a true story for all we know (it isn't but wouldn't that have been awesome). The characters were all deep and showed a lot of human character and emotion except for one guy who played a big part in the role but they didn't work on him a lot. The acting was also really good making every character seem real. The only reason I'm not giving this movie a 10 is for two reasons. 1 Is for the guy who made the movie have a big plot twist but he wasn't developed as much as everyone else. Secondly, the ending was really sappy and didn't fit the movie at all. The ending felt just horrible while the whole movie was a work of art. The Shawshank Redemption is an easily recommendable title with few people actually hating it (but if you do please don't blame me). Expand
  6. Bruno
    Dec 28, 2006
    Overhyped socialist movie that tried to convince me that prisoners are better people then us and deserve much better treatment.
  7. Clay
    Jan 25, 2007
    Really good movie. Morgan freeman has the perfect narrating voice and it's very well made drama, even if it's a simple prison movie.
  8. Sep 1, 2010
    A good Movie no doubt, but a very overrated Movie. There's no moral ambiguity, everyones either good or evil and many people fit into the the stereotypes of prison life. For example will there ever be a prison where you're actually safe in the showers, or the guards are helpful instead of almost comically evil. There are many flaws here but there's also a lot to love. While the ending wasA good Movie no doubt, but a very overrated Movie. There's no moral ambiguity, everyones either good or evil and many people fit into the the stereotypes of prison life. For example will there ever be a prison where you're actually safe in the showers, or the guards are helpful instead of almost comically evil. There are many flaws here but there's also a lot to love. While the ending was smarmy, the middle contains my personal favorite scene, the man released who wants to go back as he has nothing to live for out in the real world. A pigeon who helped him get by in Prison can't help him where he's going and it's a beautiful scene to say the least. A great movie weighed down by it's own obsession to try and tear jerk us would be my summary of my thoughts. Expand
  9. Nov 8, 2011
    This movie is about a prisoner Andy Dufresne (Tim Robins) who gets accused of murdering his wife and her lover. He meets another prisoner named 'Red' (Morgan freeman) who says he know how to get things. How ironic, a â
  10. Aug 17, 2011
    This is one of my top 10
  11. Feb 24, 2011
    This movie is outstanding! It was very entertaining and had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It didn't have all the key elements sadly but other than that, GREAT! thats all i have to say. if you know more about it, look at the 9 and above reviews. They know what they're talking about.
  12. Dec 15, 2011
    An 80 overall by critics shows how stupid they are. Shawshank Redemption is an amazing film that is a must see for any film buff. Untouchable performanc by Tim Robbins and a great supporting role by Morgan Freeman.
  13. Apr 5, 2012
    A delightful movie. It is not my favourite movie ever but it is one of those I will never forget. In its genre between 8.5 and 9 for me...there was room for improvement I believe. Great performances of both, Freeman and Robbins...Each character was clearly defined. Although, Freeman tends to play well those characters...because he is always performing similar ones.Yet, I would love toA delightful movie. It is not my favourite movie ever but it is one of those I will never forget. In its genre between 8.5 and 9 for me...there was room for improvement I believe. Great performances of both, Freeman and Robbins...Each character was clearly defined. Although, Freeman tends to play well those characters...because he is always performing similar ones.Yet, I would love to see him doing something a bit more daring. That said, I have no doubts that he is an excellent actor, and I applaud his talent! Expand
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    One of the best movies ever. Period Great movie and story definetly check watching..........................................................................
  15. Nov 23, 2012
    Action. Comedy. Drama. This movie is absolutely genius, and makes you feel so many emotions. Superb acting. I am enraged that the reviewers gave this less than 100. #1 movie of all time in my opinion
  16. Nov 5, 2012
    Aside from the iconic poster-on-the-wall scene, nothing about this movie is all that memorable. A crowd-pleasing story with a message that comes off like a sermon.
  17. Aug 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Shawshank Redemption is a story about a man who goes to jail after they accuse him for killing his wife and her lover. At first when he went to that prison he had problems and they raped him all the time after a while he made probably the best friendship he ever had in that prison. It is an interesting tale about friendship despite the differences of each people my opinion as I think the 'white people' used to have problems with the 'black people'. It will amuse the audience and it will touch you. It is interesting and it keeps you. Morgan freeman as usually he is the narrator. Tim Robbins gave a great performance and in overall The Shawshank Redemption it is a must-watch and probably one of the best of its kind. Expand
  18. Jan 19, 2014
    It may be one of the best movies ever made.really fine acting from morgan freeman and tim robbins . entire cast have done a good job.frank made a successful experiment.
  19. Jul 26, 2015
    Thanks to remarkable direction, all-star performances from the cast and a powerfully moving script, "The Shawshank Redemption" is not only marvelous entertainment but also a stunning achievement for Hollywood.
  20. Jun 25, 2015
    The most over rated film of all time, riddled with plot holes and plagued with sloppy scripting. Not terrible, but not worth watching unless you have a morbid curiosity to see what the fuss is all about and certainly not worth a second viewing.
  21. Oct 10, 2015
    This film is awful simply because the bad guy, the prison governor or warden , is a "devout" Christian. A genuine devout Christian would not force the Holy book on anyone or have such a character! This film is to braiwash the masses, this is why it got such a high status among the satanists who run this industry. Typical Holywood industry BS demonising Christianity and none bats an eyelid!This film is awful simply because the bad guy, the prison governor or warden , is a "devout" Christian. A genuine devout Christian would not force the Holy book on anyone or have such a character! This film is to braiwash the masses, this is why it got such a high status among the satanists who run this industry. Typical Holywood industry BS demonising Christianity and none bats an eyelid! Could holywood ve make a film where the Christian is the good guy and the muslim or jew are the bad guy? Oh no, if it was made it wouldnt be released, if it was released there would be a huge cry of lack of PC. Christians all over think this is a good movie! Christians cant not see the wood for the trees because they have been mind programmed to follow the herd of imbeciles bred to comsume and make the 1% theri master. Holywood is evil. Wake up folks. Expand
  22. Jan 20, 2016
    this is time wasting

23. May 24, 2013
    Based on a short, non-horror, novel by Stephen King The Shawshank Redemption tells the story of Andy Dufresne, a young banker sentenced to life imprisonment for apparently murdering his wife and her lover.

Shawshank Prison is a depressing place where brutality from guards and other prisoners is commonplace. With help from friend Red (the brilliant Morgan Freeman) he is able to gradually win both prisoners and guards over to his side. Above all this movie is a story of hope but the brilliant central relationship between Andy and Red lifts it well above virtually any other film. Add that to top notch production values and a fantastically satisfying ending and you have one of the best movies in cinema history.
  24. Dec 12, 2015
    Best film ever. Obviously a film made from the best short script by Stephen King is a safe shot. This is a combination of all the perfect elements to be the best and most perfectionist film, and having a great lenght to focus in every detail of the novel. Considering is pretty impossible to do a film based on a long novel, choosing an epic short story to be filmed is the best choice ever.
  25. Apr 13, 2013
    Perhaps it can be frowned upon to view a prison drama in such high regard, it may indeed paint a false picture of real life situations, but at the end of the day, the entertainment value and lasting effect of The Shawshank Redemption, a truly emotional discovery and, well, redemption.
    Everything aside, the film is simply about a friendship under the most unorthodox of circumstances.
    Andy
    Andy Dufresne (Tim Robbins) is locked up in Shawshank prison in 1947, being convicted of murdering his wife and her lover. He is initially given a hard time as being the new guy, but his generally laid back attitude catch the attention of Red (Morgan Freeman).
    As Andy and Red get to know each other, Red soon realises that perhaps there is more than meets the eye with his new acquaintance, as Andy slowly begins to change the lives of the people closest to him. Unfortunately as time goes on, Andy's impatience starts with his life inside starts to show, he seems more reckless and outspoken, regardless of how he has made small but significant changes to the prison itself and of course its inmates.
    We are left to watch Andy's journey through the wonderful narration of Morgan Freeman's Red, who is constantly but pleasantly surprised at Andy's personality and reactions to his surroundings. The true friendship lies where these two are completely different, Red has made peace with his situation, accepting his fate and serving life, but Andy is determined to "Get busy living".
    Tim Robbins perfectly portrays a character who is purposely isolated from everyone, he can very much take care of himself and show is intelligence and cunning nature at many shining moments in this remarkable film. Morgan Freeman is very much the good guy who followed the wrong path, he gets on with almost everyone who is worth getting on with and doesn't cause trouble, apart from being the "go to' guy in the prison.
    The word perfect could indeed give the justice this movie deserves. The cinematography by Roger Deakins is powerful and absorbing, he is always trying to make you become part of the walls that these prisoners call home, his various shots including a few prisoners sitting on top of the roof in the early morning drinking beer and another when Andy manages to play Mozart through the tannoy system speaks waves to the capabilities not necessarily by the actors, but to the scenery that they are surrounded by, and it is truly breathtaking.
    It's just a show that is too good to miss, it emerged out of nowhere and really hit home on an emotional level, there is no action in it, simply life lessons that need to be heard, each character has a vibrant role to play that will make us concerning of their situations, and Frank Darabont has created a perfectly diverse cast to blend in with this masterful and commanding film.
  26. Dec 28, 2012
    This movie so perfect shows a brilliant story of redemption, friendship, hard work and both the beauty and the corruption of the human race, that is hard to understand how making this was humanly possible.
  27. Feb 23, 2013
    Morgan Freeman is in it! What more do you need to want to see this movie? Well besides that it`s a classic! It`s one of those movies you can watch over and over, and still be interested.
  28. Jun 12, 2013
    This film is one of my top 3 or 5 films of all-time. I love everything about it, such as the casting, the performances, the storyline, the directing, etc. If you haven't seen this, you are really missing out.
  29. Feb 13, 2013
    Easily in the top 100 movies of all time. Brilliant storytelling and a great insight to the horrors of prison life. The ending is one of my all-time favourites.
  30. Jun 12, 2013
    Has to be the best prison movie ever. Yes, it's even better than the Green Mile. I've been putting off watching this movie forever, thinking it was going to be boring and sappy. But it's far from it. This movie wraps you up in its story and it always feels very real due to superb filmmaking. The acting couldn't get any better, and in the end this is one of the most uplifting moviesHas to be the best prison movie ever. Yes, it's even better than the Green Mile. I've been putting off watching this movie forever, thinking it was going to be boring and sappy. But it's far from it. This movie wraps you up in its story and it always feels very real due to superb filmmaking. The acting couldn't get any better, and in the end this is one of the most uplifting movies ever made. Yes it's very long, but it without a doubt justifies its length. Expand

It's the no-bull performances that hold back the flood of banalities. Robbins and Freeman connect with the bruised souls of Andy and Red to create something undeniably powerful and moving.
  2. Gripping...compelling.
  3. Some of "The Shawshank Redemption'' comes across as outrageously improbable. Yet the film keeps pulling you back with its sense of striving humanity slowly turning the tables against evil.