8.4

Feb 26, 2004
    BORING! I swear, if i saw one more scene with him walking down the train tracks...
  2. DenisG.
    Sep 27, 2005
    Ending not abrupt enough. Ten minutes was too much of this drivel abt implausible characters going nowhere slowly.
  3. CharlesM.
    Jun 26, 2004
    A terrific little movie about the interaction of three people whose paths cross at an abandoned train depot in New Jersey. Peter Dinklage is wonderful, as someone who wants to be left alone, but Bobby Cannavale will have none of that. Patricia Clarkson is very good...Dinklage is excellent and Bobby Cannavale gives a knockout performance.
  4. JaneP.
    Jul 4, 2004
    Great movie. Touching, funny, and real. It was disturbing to see the cruelty shown by many individuals toward Fin for being physically different. Whether these actions were due to their ignorance or mean-spirit, we could feel Fin's humiliation and isolation. In striking contrast was the genuine kindness and friendship he found in some individuals (who had their own pain to deal Great movie. Touching, funny, and real. It was disturbing to see the cruelty shown by many individuals toward Fin for being physically different. Whether these actions were due to their ignorance or mean-spirit, we could feel Fin's humiliation and isolation. In striking contrast was the genuine kindness and friendship he found in some individuals (who had their own pain to deal with). Definitely hits home on the subject of loss and loneliness. Finally, as the characters discover acceptance and true joy in friendship, the movie, with it's perfect timing, ends. Very satisfying. Expand
  5. PekkaP.
    Feb 6, 2005
    Ineffably good!
  6. jd
    Oct 19, 2007
    Yet another movie whose success depends on flattering the viewer that he's somehow more intelligent and sensitive than most of the bozos on screen -- which isn't terribly hard for the writer to do, since he's written all the parts. Add to that the usual dose of post-ironic quirk, and the ludicrous notion that the lonely offer each other comfort (if that were true, why would Yet another movie whose success depends on flattering the viewer that he's somehow more intelligent and sensitive than most of the bozos on screen -- which isn't terribly hard for the writer to do, since he's written all the parts. Add to that the usual dose of post-ironic quirk, and the ludicrous notion that the lonely offer each other comfort (if that were true, why would anyone be lonely?) and we've got a Sundance award-winner. What would happen if actual artists started working in this medium? Expand
  7. LawrenceB.
    Aug 21, 2004
    [***PLOT REVELATIONS***] There is nothing I didn't like in the splendid, artful film. Oh, yes, a question or two - maybe even a minor criticism, e.g., why didn't we know, until the dawn, that the onrushing train, when Fin was drunkenly stupified, was a dream? Or, we're all dying to know from where Fin got his money. Or how on earth could Joe or his dad manage to avoid[***PLOT REVELATIONS***] There is nothing I didn't like in the splendid, artful film. Oh, yes, a question or two - maybe even a minor criticism, e.g., why didn't we know, until the dawn, that the onrushing train, when Fin was drunkenly stupified, was a dream? Or, we're all dying to know from where Fin got his money. Or how on earth could Joe or his dad manage to avoid bankruptcy with the income from the food trailer in the middle of nowhere? Nevertheless, the full experience of this movie was so satisfying, funny, alarming, and poignant as to make us cast aside any such trivial inquiries and simply "take it all in" with wonder and pure enjoyment. Indeed, the scripting was so true, the cinematography so crisp and beautiful, the oddly interjected, spare, music so spot on, and the acting so flawless, that it would not be hyperbole to call this a cinema masterpiece. Expand
  8. LeeDallas
    Jan 2, 2004
    Bold, touching, and different, The Station Agent is really a story about how you affect people, no matter how hard you try not to. Superb acting, writing and directing. Great movie that is one of a kind, so see it.
  9. MarkR.
    Feb 13, 2004
    This movie stuck a chord with me that speaks to the alienation that most people feel at some point in their lives. This alienation unites the three main characters, even though they feel it in varying degrees. Only Fin can feel it in every aspect of his life and affected more brutally than the others.
  10. MonicaD.
    Jan 14, 2004
    This movie is practically perfect in every way. I can't remember the last time I relaxed and enjoyed a movie this much. Just beautiful! Although it would be criminal to make a sequel, it doesn't stop me from wanting to see more of these characters.
  11. May 29, 2012
    If he wanted to be left alone - in his boring world. Then why should the viewer be interested? I must say that this is the most boring movie I have ever had to sit through. Who cares about this character and why do I want to know more about him if his world is so small that he only wants to watch trains go by. The acting was bad, the plot non-existent. Total Crap !
  12. StephenS.
    Apr 25, 2004
    Usually, I can?t abide movies that appear to just end abruptly. This one had sufficient credit in the bank that I just didn?t care. Peter Dinklage plays the dwarf-sized Fin, who inherits a disused railway depot in a pretty part of New Jersey. Bobby Cannavale is Joe, running the roadside café out front of the depot, and Patricia Clarkson (always good to watch) is Olivia, the Usually, I can?t abide movies that appear to just end abruptly. This one had sufficient credit in the bank that I just didn?t care. Peter Dinklage plays the dwarf-sized Fin, who inherits a disused railway depot in a pretty part of New Jersey. Bobby Cannavale is Joe, running the roadside café out front of the depot, and Patricia Clarkson (always good to watch) is Olivia, the separated mother grieving for her son. Director Thomas McCarthy?s sweet situations are so moderately paced as to make John Sayles look like a speedster. Fin does his train buff thing solo, then with Joe, then with Joe and Olivia, in tow. Mobile phones conveniently interrupt as required, but even these are just a sign that true connection is hard to find. Olivia has her grief crisis, which is great cinema, and Fin has his dwarf crisis, perhaps the one doubtful note in the film. Australian audiences relate to Joe, who laps up life, appears unfailingly gauche, and is impossible to embarrass. But just watch out for the look on Joe?s face when he meets Olivia?s ex, and does a wonderfully complicated split-second of contempt, amusement and bravado. Expand
  13. JerryH.
    Oct 2, 2003
    A wonderful film and a wonderful cast. There is more humor in this picture than I thought going in -- mainly provided by Bobby Cannavale's Joe, but Dinklage and Clarkson ground the picture in a world in which you wish you could live. Well paced, well shot, the writer/director obviously has promise. I wish more films were like this one. Well done to everyone invlolved. My only A wonderful film and a wonderful cast. There is more humor in this picture than I thought going in -- mainly provided by Bobby Cannavale's Joe, but Dinklage and Clarkson ground the picture in a world in which you wish you could live. Well paced, well shot, the writer/director obviously has promise. I wish more films were like this one. Well done to everyone invlolved. My only complaint -- why did it have to end? Expand
  14. TheAmbassador
    Oct 24, 2003
    A great film. The plot of this is so real. Nothing is hyped up as would be done in Hollywood; everything is just as it would happen in everyday life. The metascore of 80 for this movie is a serious understatement. Brilliant humour and characters. 10.
  15. FeliciaF.
    Sep 29, 2003
    "Before I leave, Fin, I have to say... You're the man... YOU are the man." The character of Joe is absolutely hilarious. I hope we see much more of Bobby Cannavale in future pictures because he rounded out the unlikely trio of Fin, Joe, and Olivia in such a way that gave the movie wonderful life. This is a must-see picture. It had a similar effect on me that Sling Blade did, but with "Before I leave, Fin, I have to say... You're the man... YOU are the man." The character of Joe is absolutely hilarious. I hope we see much more of Bobby Cannavale in future pictures because he rounded out the unlikely trio of Fin, Joe, and Olivia in such a way that gave the movie wonderful life. This is a must-see picture. It had a similar effect on me that Sling Blade did, but with less of an overt and obvious emotional impact. SEE IT! Collapse
  16. JasonP.
    Nov 24, 2003
    Although I did enjoy this movie, I wasn't as taken with it as most critics. It does have a lot of plusses, the acting, the characters, but there was just something missing for me. I do however recommend that you see it.
  17. TonyL.
    Dec 14, 2003
    I agree with Jason P. There was just something missing in this movie. A question? What did Fin do to earn money? I also thought the ending was rather abrupt. Most people in screening that I saw felt the same way.
  18. Sfo
    Jan 18, 2004
    What a great, quirky and touching film. I wish it hadn't ended so abruptly, but it definitely left me wanting more. The movie made me feel good inside!
  19. BarryR.
    Nov 22, 2003
    This is an interesting and, in its own way, a rather simple and beautiful film about loneliness, being different and caring, all wrapped up in 88 minutes of interesting storytelling. Written and directed by Thomas McCarthy and starring Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson (from "6 Feet Under") and Bobby Cannavale, it is skillfully written, edited, acted and directed in a soft style that This is an interesting and, in its own way, a rather simple and beautiful film about loneliness, being different and caring, all wrapped up in 88 minutes of interesting storytelling. Written and directed by Thomas McCarthy and starring Peter Dinklage, Patricia Clarkson (from "6 Feet Under") and Bobby Cannavale, it is skillfully written, edited, acted and directed in a soft style that makes you feel you are participating in the lives of the characters as a voyeur who sees but is not noticed. The uniquely different physical appearance of the star becomes secondary and a factor you quickly forget as you see beyond the label and into the core of the human being about whom the film surrounds. This is quality filmmaking and worthy of the 9 it gets for taking us to a higher level of cinema without our even knowing it as we experience the magic. See it....you will enjoy it. Expand
  20. DavidA.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Wonderfully absorbing. No cheap moments, just three different people finding a connection in the most desolate of places.
  21. Apr 13, 2012
    A great movie with some interesting view points on life concerning certain types of people.
    Abit slow at times, but it is indeed a sweet sensitive story among three people who shouldn't actually be going well together. The main character had something that reminded me of myself, which I found interesting. Overall a good movie, but action cravers, stay away from this one! You won't find any of that in this movie.
  22. Jul 5, 2012
    I hadn't heard of this film till it came up as a suggestion on Netflix and I'm glad it did. A beautifully crafted, multi award winning film from the extremely talented writer/actor/director Thomas McCarthy. A man with achondroplasia, a form of dwarfism, inherits a train station when his only friend dies. He moves there to find solitude. Instead he meets a number of people at his new town,I hadn't heard of this film till it came up as a suggestion on Netflix and I'm glad it did. A beautifully crafted, multi award winning film from the extremely talented writer/actor/director Thomas McCarthy. A man with achondroplasia, a form of dwarfism, inherits a train station when his only friend dies. He moves there to find solitude. Instead he meets a number of people at his new town, all with their own problems. A story about characters and peoples relationships, quietly underplayed by an excellent ensemble cast. If you need to have a car chase, explosion or fight every ten minutes, the chances are you'll hate this with a passion. The rest of us will have our faith in the art of simple storytelling reborn and satiated Expand
  23. Jul 28, 2013
    Amusing and at the same time gripping The Station Agent is a great film. Tied together with fantastic performances by Cannavale and Dinklage you can't help but love the trio of friends that develop and you can't wait to see how everything plays out. This film is certainly different which makes it so unique and it seems very realistic which is something that many movies lack.
  24. May 6, 2014
    So these people just follow a midget around for an hour and a half...The midget is boring, but so are the people who have been following the midget around. They share their boring lives with each other as friendships manifest itself in the most natural of ways...boring life stuff happens, and that's the end.
  25. Jan 14, 2015
    This movies made me happy, not for a moment after it ended but it made me happy for a very long time after watching it, days even. The story is simple, warm, funny. The casting and characters are nothing short of perfect. If you have not seen this film and are reading this review looking to see if you think it is worth watch, believe me now, stop reading and start watching.

If this

If this movie doesn't warm your insides you must be cryogenic!!!

Tom McCarthy’s film is never more than small, and that’s how it should be. It is about treasuring life -– sometimes even cheating death -– and it manages to warm hearts in its own uncompromising way, rarely cheating and never belittling.
  2. Reviewed by: Duane Byrge
    Wonderfully understated, Station Agent is a masterful film and a bracing movie experience. Its power is in large part because of the performers, most prominently Dinklage as the solitary dwarf.
    The three actors could not be better. Huge feelings are packed into this small, fragile movie. It's something special.