6.0

1. LinT.
    Jan 18, 2007
    I made the mistake of buying some fast food before sitting down to watch this one and all the meat certainly didn't make me want to take a bite out of my double melt. I've never seen a movie with so many people covered in (and becoming) meat.
  2. Jun 12, 2011
    This movie actually really surprised me. When I saw the previews for this movie I scoffed at the thought of them trying to make a prequel. This movie actually did a pretty good job of explaining some of the habits of the family as well as a little bit of leatherface and why he is the way he is. The acting was also pretty good for a horror movie. Overall not nearly as good as the originalThis movie actually really surprised me. When I saw the previews for this movie I scoffed at the thought of them trying to make a prequel. This movie actually did a pretty good job of explaining some of the habits of the family as well as a little bit of leatherface and why he is the way he is. The acting was also pretty good for a horror movie. Overall not nearly as good as the original but still a fairly good watch. Expand
  3. ND
    Aug 12, 2007
    Really enjoyed this - loved the original remake too. R Lee Ermey makes this film - loads of blood and overall worth a watch.
  4. Apr 15, 2011
    I Donno why people are so boring come on this was a good movie and i must say that the youngsters who starred in this movie were amazingly believable especially the blonde chick, i gave this a ten beacause it deserves it
  5. ClintM.
    Oct 8, 2006
    All blood, all gore, no real scares, just lots of gross outs ... nothing like the initial remake, which was FAR superior.
  6. MeghanR.
    Nov 2, 2006
    The beauty of the original Texas is its almost total lack of blood and gore. The Beginning could be the most disgusting movie I have ever seen. Its abuse of blood and violence was unnecessary. It's chilling premise could have been as effective as the original, but it was lost. There's a difference between scary and gory. This was not in the least scary. Covering my eyes was my The beauty of the original Texas is its almost total lack of blood and gore. The Beginning could be the most disgusting movie I have ever seen. Its abuse of blood and violence was unnecessary. It's chilling premise could have been as effective as the original, but it was lost. There's a difference between scary and gory. This was not in the least scary. Covering my eyes was my way of protecting my dinner and maintaining it in my stomach. A waste of time, money, and brain cells. Disgusting. Expand
  7. JoeS.
    Feb 24, 2007
    As if the horrible remake of the 1970s classic wasn't bad enough, here comes the prequel. Even worse than the remake. The original was so great because it was terrifying without being gruesome. It also stayed close to the truth. But this movie is the exact opposite. It's a ridiculously gory and a ridiculously absurb movie. So, what do you get? Another horrible slasher film. What As if the horrible remake of the 1970s classic wasn't bad enough, here comes the prequel. Even worse than the remake. The original was so great because it was terrifying without being gruesome. It also stayed close to the truth. But this movie is the exact opposite. It's a ridiculously gory and a ridiculously absurb movie. So, what do you get? Another horrible slasher film. What should you do to escape this movie? Rent the original or get it off eBay. But unless you REALLY want to see someone get their face cut off, run. And fast. Expand
  8. Rickym
    Oct 18, 2009
    The Best Of the Best of the Chainsaw flicks Scary Suspenseful and Gory as hell Leatherface rules.
  9. Jul 3, 2013
    This completely rehash the remake and the original '74 classic. What it does is answer questions that were never asked in the first place. It fails like every horror prequel ever made, it relies on blood and cheap scares instead taking the basic steps in making a horror movie. A complete failure.
  10. Feb 2, 2013
    TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE takes a step back in time to reveal the origins of the infamous Hewitt family in TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING. A deformed child is rescued and raised by a penniless family out in the sticks of Texas, a family that is forced into cannibalism when the local slaughterhouse is put out of business. Unfortunately for a group of travelers who are on their way toTEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE takes a step back in time to reveal the origins of the infamous Hewitt family in TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE BEGINNING. A deformed child is rescued and raised by a penniless family out in the sticks of Texas, a family that is forced into cannibalism when the local slaughterhouse is put out of business. Unfortunately for a group of travelers who are on their way to Austin to enlist for Vietnam, this means that they are the next item on the menu! For the most part, THE BEGINNING keeps up with the remake that preceded it, but as a prequel it falls into many unavoidable traps. The filmmakers feel obliged to as many questions as possible in only a limited amount of time, which leads to a number of plot contrivances. Here, we learn where Thomas Hewitt got his saw, why Hoyt became the sheriff, how Uncle Monty lost his legs, and where Leatherface got his nickname... All in the same night! For a family whose killing spree lasted over four years, this just seems forced. The political weight of Vietnam is also heavier load than the film can bear, and comes off as being ignorant and ungenuine. THE BEGINNING is the bloodiest of any of the CHAINSAW films, however, with many graphic and gory murder scenes. A decent follow up, and still one of the better sequels. -Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  11. Jan 15, 2013
    That's what I call a horror, disturbing, vulgar, slasher, thriller, gory, amazing, shocking, breathtaking film! Not Micheal Bay's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake for 9 years old, a PG horror, I HATE Micheal Bay's The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, the prequel "movie I am reviewing" is way to better, GOD! Worth the watch!
  12. ClaytonT.
    Oct 8, 2006
    Jordana Brewster was the only likable character of the ones your supposed to like. The gore was excessive and not at all creative. And it lacked any suspense because with the exception of one small tidbit in the end, It is the same exact movie as the first one. Its ridiculously bad, but I'll give it 2 points for Jordana, at least she tried.
  13. Mike
    Oct 7, 2006
    Great movie.
  14. JeffF
    Oct 10, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] It's amazing to me how a 300 lb guy carrying a 50 lb chainsaw can just pop up out of thin air. How the sheriff character can seemingly be in two places at once, and women were wearing low rider jeans in 1969. Andrew Bryniarski had better find himself a tux come Oscar time. NOT! Boring and pathetic lets hope it kills this franchise.
  15. MilesM.
    Oct 3, 2006
    Classy gore...tasteful carnage truly in line with the Leatherface tradition
  16. TerryC
    Oct 15, 2006
    While the film generally sticks to the formula, it does it with a panache not seen in similar films. I'm a fan of the franchise hands down so this may be a bit biased but I found it to be an intense and stylish romp through the world of splatter films. Two thumbs up
    Oct 16, 2006
    Not great or really much different from the last version, but still not bad. Didn't think it was deserving of being panned by most critics. Definitely was one of the goriest movies I have seen. I left the theatre feeling the same as I did after seeing The Hills Have Eyes: like I needed a shower.
  18. JoseyS.
    Oct 3, 2006
    Impressed, I was with this installment.
  19. EleanorS.
    Oct 4, 2006
    I thought it was a worthwhile use of my time. I shrieked a lot.
  20. MattO.
    Oct 9, 2006
    All hamburger with no fear or suspense.
  21. JosephC.
    Jan 30, 2007
    I thought is was better than the first one (remake) and I thought they were both better than the original. I loved it..
  22. AlecB.
    Feb 2, 2007
    the movie is alright nothing spectacular or great. the movie shouldve been longer than 84 min to tell the story of how leather face became to be. no need for gore when u dont need it like half the movie does. i was suprised though with the end and they did good on that part. still the 2 newer ones dont come close to being as good as the original one
  23. TannerJ
    Jun 5, 2009
    There is a difference between a movie being scary, and a movie just being nasty. This movie isn't scary at all, just very gruesome and loud. A waste of time imo.
  24. DanD.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Im not really a fan of this type of movie. It doesn't scare me, or really get any emotion out of me- except "Gosh. That was gross." That said, this movie was amusing, and probably better than the first one, or even the original in my opinion. Which isn't saying too much. Two other movies of similar calibre would be HOSTEL, or WOLF'S CREEK. I would rate all three about the same.
  25. EfrenA.
    Oct 18, 2006
    Although it does have the formulated Boogeyman storyline and yes the stupid teenagers (everything from gung ho to no go), this movie actually had a few parts that made me jump. Not sure if it was because most of the female audience members screamed and I wasn't ready or I was actually scared in some parts. What truly made this a good movie for me is that one final scare. When you see Although it does have the formulated Boogeyman storyline and yes the stupid teenagers (everything from gung ho to no go), this movie actually had a few parts that made me jump. Not sure if it was because most of the female audience members screamed and I wasn't ready or I was actually scared in some parts. What truly made this a good movie for me is that one final scare. When you see it, you may debate the formulated value of it and yes, you may even say it is predictable, but it's just that ONE moment that it happens that catches you off guard. One of the other things I liked about this version is that there was no reservations on the gore factor. My suggestion is do not see this on a full stomach if it is weak because it is a bloodbath at some points, but all in all it was a fun way to pass a couple of hours!! Expand
  26. RDalvi
    Oct 26, 2006
    Good movie. R Lee Ermey and Letaherface rescue this movie from sinking.
  27. danielb.
    Nov 30, 2007
    Can't believe people went to see this in theatres. I know i would have asked to be refunded. Or left before the end to get it. Its THAT bad. Really. REALLY!
  28. Noranda
    Jul 26, 2007
    This is by far the best movie of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies. Its by far the most brutal movie, and includes such graphic scenes as Leather Faces first "face peel" and "the birth of the monster" Two thumbs WAY UP!
  29. ItisDoom
    Aug 10, 2009
    The movie was great but seriously. Jordana Brewster could have just ran away for her life and screw her friends.
  30. JR
    Oct 12, 2006
    This movie just follows the mold of the stereotypical horror flick that you
  31. Terry
    Oct 15, 2006
    A great movie.
  32. kenb.
    Oct 16, 2006
    Could have been so much better but the director lacked the talent to manipulate the suspense. Don't waste your time.
  33. ChristopherW.
    Jan 16, 2007
    The horror genre is the unique area of filmmaking in which filmmakers never need or even want a good reason to turn out endless exploitative sequels of successful horror originals. There is absolutely no point to this derivative prequel. If the film's intent is to tell the story of Leatherface's origin, it clearly has nothing new to say. You won't learn any special insights The horror genre is the unique area of filmmaking in which filmmakers never need or even want a good reason to turn out endless exploitative sequels of successful horror originals. There is absolutely no point to this derivative prequel. If the film's intent is to tell the story of Leatherface's origin, it clearly has nothing new to say. You won't learn any special insights into the mind of this assembly line serial killer that you haven't already been bludgeoned over the head with in previous installments. 'The Beginning' is very gory, but never scary. In fact, the Hewitt family isn't perversely fascinating and tantalizingly maniacal like the best screen villians should be. Frankly, I just found them annoying and grating. The death scenes are sufficiently grisly to please fans of ultragore, and there is yet another twisted dinner scene, but the film is utterly forgettable. By the end, you will most assuredly be praying that Leatherface's chainsaw FINALLY runs out of gas. God knows this series did ages ago! Expand
  34. AlejandroH.
    Feb 21, 2007
    A waste of time and money
  35. AlyM.
    Feb 24, 2007
    IT was a whole lot better than the last one. But I did find myself thinking about other things for a little bit of the movie. As gore goes, it's the best gorey movie of its season!!!!!!
  36. Nov 26, 2011
    I liked it even better then the previous film. Though the acting wasnt as good this time around, It was far more suspensful and terrorifying then the previous film.
  37. Jun 15, 2011
    Great movie...quite thrilling. All the people acting in the movie have done a great job i bet. But i still duno why some people hate this movie..wat ever! I enjoyed this movie...Happy watching!
  38. Nov 2, 2012
    Gruesome, graphic, brutal and really tense. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning is a gory prequel that is actual better than the 2003 remake to the 1970s classic manages to be occasionally terrifying, albeit it suffers from some horror and Michael Bay cliches.
  39. Feb 20, 2012
    Suprisingly better then the previous remake and that is saying something because I enjoyed the first remake quite a bit. The acting is average (neither good nor bad), The plot is interesting (its nice to finally see the backstory of Leatherface). Its a pretty decent horror film.
  40. Jan 19, 2013
    Movie very gore and pessimistic. Only entertaining.
  41. May 5, 2013
    It's really sad that this film has an even lower rating than the slightly earlier remake. It kicks the crap out of all that came before and after, including the original. This is the best told version of the Hewitt story, hands down. R. Lee Ermey is at his most evil, and really steals the show. The vibe is much like The Hills Have Eyes remake properly twisted.
  42. May 22, 2013
    This prequel was just slightly better than the remake but both are amazing Horror films! Once again the more I watch it the more I appreciate it as it's got everything a good Horror film needs, especially with a killer like Leatherface at the reigns. Jordana Brewster steps in to fill Biel's shoes and does a great job I think, but once again the cast as a whole is just great OverallThis prequel was just slightly better than the remake but both are amazing Horror films! Once again the more I watch it the more I appreciate it as it's got everything a good Horror film needs, especially with a killer like Leatherface at the reigns. Jordana Brewster steps in to fill Biel's shoes and does a great job I think, but once again the cast as a whole is just great Overall another impressive addition to the TCM series and I now look forward to tracking down the original ones! Expand
  43. Jan 8, 2013
    The critics are right about the 29 review. The beginning is the beginning of the worst Texas Chainsaw Massacre movie and can't be watched. The only thing there to watch are bland sets and terrible voice acting.
  44. Aug 4, 2013
    Fine, but not great. Not scary or whatsoever at all and I think that this "reboot-prequel" is the worst that I've ever saw. I hope to not watch a movie like this again in my life...I doubt.
    I liked the atmosphere, makeups and some other little things. Stop here. Cheers!

1. Reviewed by: John DeFore
    The whole fear-of-obese-hillbillies device is starting to smell as stale as Leatherface's playroom. Does this horror trend simply reflect a national fear, as giant radioactive ants personified the Bomb in the 1950s? If so, maybe it's time for us all to go on a diet; America needs fresh fodder for its boogeymen.
  2. Reviewed by: Gregory Kirshling
    Unlike "Hostel" or "Wolf Creek," TCM:B is rank and depressing.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    Auds would be well advised not to attempt "Beginning" on a full stomach.