6.7

1. AndrewG
    Aug 7, 2009
    Hardly produces a scare, or even a minute thrill. Poorly acted, poorly directed, and on a whole, very poor.
  2. WassoZ.
    May 7, 2004
    The film was just good, but all the killings were very realistic. At some point it wasn't fun at all.
  3. Jan 15, 2013
    Seriously! Do you call this a horror movie! Can I even compare it with its prequel?! It is not scare not an R-Rated "Horror" should be at least a PG-13 or a hard PG if the first kissing scene edited, this is not a horror, its prequel is way to better, watch Texas Chainsaw 3D less **** and save your time, Micheal Bay's The Texas Chainsaw a good time for a 9 years old! Pretty much it!
  4. Sep 22, 2011
    Terrible, just terrible. What Marcus Nispel demonstrated throughout the movie is how much blood he can present to the audience and how far his movie can fall into the Abyss of failure.
  5. Dec 24, 2010
    Just gross gore. There is NOTHING scary about this film. Films like this ought not be called 'horrors,' since they just gross people out. There is not a single psychologically frightening scene in this film... Made for teenagers, really.
  6. WassoZ.
    May 7, 2004
  7. TheGilbertMulroneycakesLaserExperience
    Oct 25, 2003
    If you were scared byenjoyed this, firstly: may God have mercy on your soul, and secondly: watch the original. That was a masterpeice, taking terror into new, occasionally surreal, dimensions, pulling you protesting along with it. This is a pointless, mean-spirited, lazy-ass bloodbath that's even worse than the pointless, lazy-ass bloodbath that was Tobe Hooper's own TCM 2 from If you were scared byenjoyed this, firstly: may God have mercy on your soul, and secondly: watch the original. That was a masterpeice, taking terror into new, occasionally surreal, dimensions, pulling you protesting along with it. This is a pointless, mean-spirited, lazy-ass bloodbath that's even worse than the pointless, lazy-ass bloodbath that was Tobe Hooper's own TCM 2 from the burning radioactive wilderness of the 1980s. That Hooper's name is attached to this car-boot-sale remake is a very human tragedy. And they show Leatherface's face, which is like putting a voiceover at the end of 2001 explaining where the monoliths came from. Get out. Expand
  8. RD.
    Aug 23, 2006
    Not scary. But R Lee Ermey's performance as the Sheriff bangs you. [***SPOILERS***] Also, the slaughter-house scene where Jessica Biel cuts Leatherface's hand with a meat cleaver is good. Just the movie is too violent at times.
  9. StevenR.
    Mar 24, 2007
    Fantastic! The way a good horror remake should be. The different approach to the story makes helps this film stand on its own. Performances were great as was the tension. Fantastic direction and camera work make it an enjoyable watch.
  10. Oct 16, 2010
    I watched the 1974 original before watching this remake. well, this one had a few changes with the killing scenes and the storyline, but to be fair, lets just say that whoever made it sure had a good try.
  11. May 6, 2011
    I enjoy horror movies. I'm not some crazy fan who will watch nothing but them, but i enjoy them. Is this movie good? No, not really. Is it bad? No, not really. Its EXACTLY in the middle. The acting was bearable and the movie changed up some scenes from the original which keeps it from being same old deaths (which the first one was over and over). The original was god aweful. Don't call meI enjoy horror movies. I'm not some crazy fan who will watch nothing but them, but i enjoy them. Is this movie good? No, not really. Is it bad? No, not really. Its EXACTLY in the middle. The acting was bearable and the movie changed up some scenes from the original which keeps it from being same old deaths (which the first one was over and over). The original was god aweful. Don't call me stupid for saything that because it's true. The only reason you people like it is because it's a "classic" and the only reason it's a classic is because it's "true". This movie did have useless gore in it but not enough to make me turn it off. Overall; Not bad, but not good.
    PS- To all you idiots out there who like it because it had gore in it. SCREW YOU! That does not make a movie so shut up. Blood does not make a movie good. You people just don't know movies.
  12. Feb 2, 2013
    In August, 1973, five teens set across the Texas highway on their way to a concert, when a chance encounter with a suicidal hitchhiker forces them to stop for help. As they wait for the town's hick sheriff to collect the body, two of the teens run off to a nearby house to use the phone, where they come face to face with a murderous clan of cannibals and their chainsaw-wielding son,In August, 1973, five teens set across the Texas highway on their way to a concert, when a chance encounter with a suicidal hitchhiker forces them to stop for help. As they wait for the town's hick sheriff to collect the body, two of the teens run off to a nearby house to use the phone, where they come face to face with a murderous clan of cannibals and their chainsaw-wielding son, Leatherface! THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE is reborn in Platinum Dunes' 2003 remake, but where so many other attempts to revitalize the 1970's and 80's Slasher craze have failed, THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE succeeds in shocking and terrifying a whole new generation of moviegoers. It is just what a remake should be, honoring the original with the same basic plot outline and characters, while creating its own unique identity and mood. Marcus Nispel's washed out color palette is drowned in putrid greens and blues, which give the misty forest and dilapidated hallways of the Hewitt household a sickening overall effect. While this version does feature more gore, it is not built on simply disgusting the audience, but takes just as much time developing a deep-seated terror and suspense. This creates moments of intense anticipation that pay off in jolting shocks! Although Nispel has chosen to fill the cast with familiar teen favorites, Scott Kosar's script makes them likeable characters with whom the audience can relate. The best choice obviously comes in the decision to hire R. Lee Ermy, whose crass behavior and vulgar humor make him perfect in the role of Sheriff Hoyt. Ermy dominates the film, and becomes even more sadistic and frightening than Leatherface, himself! Andrew Bryniarski's fast and forceful approach to the character makes him very imposing as well, even if he falls slightly behind Gunnar Hansen as the iconic killer. TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE may not leave the same lasting impression as its predecessor, but its horrifying, edge-of-your seat excitement easily makes it the best remake to come out of the 2000's.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  13. Jan 12, 2013
    A good remake so scary that you will die of fear.
  14. Mar 1, 2014
    Great movie. Great cast. One of my favourite movies ever made. I honestly terrified me when I found out this was based on a true story. One of the best remakes.
  15. KlayG.
    Oct 21, 2003
    The Best movie of the year. VERY Frightful!
  16. WAKOJAKO
    Dec 8, 2003
    This film is so unappologetically gruesome, that it's actually better than most "horror" films released today. The performances are adequate, not cheesy, and the ending is better than expected. If you go, take a date, but don't buy any popcorn.
  17. TylerC.
    Oct 31, 2003
    I really wish that I had gotten what I paid for. I did not pay $6.50 to watch and unoriginal and unentertaining movie such as this. The only good parts were the dark humor that the Sheriff had. Other than that it was mildly interesting to watch Jessica Biel in tight jeans and a wet tight t-shirt but I paid my money to watch a horror movie and not Showgirls. I also didn't like that I really wish that I had gotten what I paid for. I did not pay $6.50 to watch and unoriginal and unentertaining movie such as this. The only good parts were the dark humor that the Sheriff had. Other than that it was mildly interesting to watch Jessica Biel in tight jeans and a wet tight t-shirt but I paid my money to watch a horror movie and not Showgirls. I also didn't like that for the umteenth time there were at least two vehicles that wouldn't start. Coincidentally the star of the movie knows how to hotwire cars. This movie was recycled trash from start to finish. Expand
  18. Narrator
    Jan 28, 2004
    Walking down the street one day, I heard a group of people talking about this film, one inquistivie yet ultimately idiotic individual asking his friends "but why do they call it the CHAINSAW massacre?" Although this would seem obvious in the fact that the evil doers weapon of choice was a chainsaw, after viewing the film it became apparant that this was a more viable question than Walking down the street one day, I heard a group of people talking about this film, one inquistivie yet ultimately idiotic individual asking his friends "but why do they call it the CHAINSAW massacre?" Although this would seem obvious in the fact that the evil doers weapon of choice was a chainsaw, after viewing the film it became apparant that this was a more viable question than originally percieved. After all, for a guy who has a whole basement full of sharp metallic objects, the weapon choice was a little odd, not only is it heavy and hard to control, but young girls in wet t-shirts can hear it from a mile away. It just didn't make sense. Then it hit me, no other weapon would look so funny as it massacred bedsheets hanging on the line, or spinning on the ground still clutched by a severed arm. Believe it or not, but a fat, balding villian who waddles rather than runs also isn't as scary as you'd think. This remake has little credibility as a horror film, including a non-existent plot and cliche camera perspectives. On the other hand, much like the question of why the film has the word 'chainsaw' in the title, this massacre of horror films is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time, the saving grace for a film with little else going for it. Oh, except, of course, for the sporadic bouts of rain (which Texas is notorious for) which keep Jessica Biels' t-shirt wet for a good portion of the film (hence the score of 9). Anyone wishing to see a decent horror flick should look elsewhere. C'mon people, it's set in Texas, how serious did you expect it to be? Expand
  19. AwaAstedyouth
    Jan 3, 2004
    This movie is by far the best horror movie I've ever seen...though I can see from many of the reviews that I'm one of the few that know that this movie was NOT based on truth, but of course the studio used that "Inspired By True Events" because, hey something that really happened would seem a hell of alot scarier than just another Hollywood work of fiction. Anyways, great This movie is by far the best horror movie I've ever seen...though I can see from many of the reviews that I'm one of the few that know that this movie was NOT based on truth, but of course the studio used that "Inspired By True Events" because, hey something that really happened would seem a hell of alot scarier than just another Hollywood work of fiction. Anyways, great acting, directing, everything. I really dodn't understand how some of you morons can actually give this movie a low rating. No character development!? There was ALOT of character development, more so than any horror movie I've ever seen, especially referring to Jessica Biel's character. Great, great, great movie though. And to all of you that hated it, I'm still glad you saw it because it just put more money into the producers' pockets. Bahahahaha. Definately dissapointed though that the studio has decided not to release it on DVD until March30th!!! Gotta wait 3 more long months for this one. Ahhh I'll just watch Freddy vs. Jason a thousand times until I get tired of it, and by then this one'll be out!! WOOoOOHoo! Collapse
  20. PIRANHAg.
    Feb 7, 2004
    How can you say that this bullsh.t is good, of course that the original is a masterpiece, but this.... c´mon!!
  21. CharlieS.
    Mar 2, 2004
    Absolutely the scariest movie i have ever seen!!!! I loved it!!!!!!! Yay for TCM.
  22. SaerA.
    Apr 5, 2004
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a very nice horror movie. It was scary and that's why I liked it. It made me jump a few times. There were some parts in the movie where I thought "This is a weird part" but it doesn't matter. I liked TCM.
  23. RagingCritic
    Apr 5, 2004
    This is the scariest movie I have ever seen. Peter Travers of Rolling Stone said the flaw of this movie was that it failed to scare us any because it was no different than the original. Well, I think Peter Travers is so caught up in reviewing films that he has desensitized himself!! Not only was I scared senseless, but this movie remains a testament to the original. That alone is worthy This is the scariest movie I have ever seen. Peter Travers of Rolling Stone said the flaw of this movie was that it failed to scare us any because it was no different than the original. Well, I think Peter Travers is so caught up in reviewing films that he has desensitized himself!! Not only was I scared senseless, but this movie remains a testament to the original. That alone is worthy of praise. The cinematography was outstanding (i.e. the suicide shot). And hey, we get a horror flick without any cheesy lines. Can you name any other the past decade other than The Ring?? If anyone out there has grown up in small town America, let's just say this - your worst nightmare is now a movie - NOW GO RENT IT! A++ TheRagingCritic Expand
  24. jefff.
    Jun 10, 2005
    Takes everything that was good about the original and leaves it by the side of the road.
  25. RCampbell
    Feb 25, 2006
    I am obsessed with The Texas Chainsaw Massacre series, and like all fans, I prefer the original. The remake is better than I expected, but it's still not as good as it's father. Although it was too hollywood for my tastes, it wasn't a 'bad' movie, and provided some entertaining scenes.
  26. DrSteve
    Nov 15, 2003
    It scared me more than most horror movies do these days. While it had its share of gore, it relied more on building suspense to scare you. I saw the original, and frankly I think this remake is far better. The first one scared me at first, but then turned stupid with its incredibly overly drawn-out chase scene with the last survivor. This one kept up the suspense much better. I have to It scared me more than most horror movies do these days. While it had its share of gore, it relied more on building suspense to scare you. I saw the original, and frankly I think this remake is far better. The first one scared me at first, but then turned stupid with its incredibly overly drawn-out chase scene with the last survivor. This one kept up the suspense much better. I have to say that Jessica Biel was a pleasure in this one, too; she looks great in a short top and those hip hugger jeans, doesn't she? (Yep, we called 'em "hip huggers" back in the 70's). Expand
  27. NinjaMafia
    Nov 2, 2003
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, to tell you the truth, i never saw the original or the other three (or was it four?), but I kept on hearing good things about this movie from people in my general area that I thought I would go try it, hell it looks alot better than Runaway Jury. Okay TCM is about a bunch of druggy teens who pick up a weird hitchicker on the road, the start to get worried so The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, to tell you the truth, i never saw the original or the other three (or was it four?), but I kept on hearing good things about this movie from people in my general area that I thought I would go try it, hell it looks alot better than Runaway Jury. Okay TCM is about a bunch of druggy teens who pick up a weird hitchicker on the road, the start to get worried so much that she is about to do something that they throw her out. Their car then breaks down and they go to some rednecks place to find somebody who could help them. There, they find Leatherface. From there on it is nothing but "Blarg I'm Leatherface I'll cut you with my Chainsaw RARRR!".I must have skipped a generation of movies or something because this and House of 1000 Corpses share some things in common. Besides being utterly boring, not scary (except for a very few parts), and also the fact that they rely on their gore and not their scare value. When did horror movies only have gore with no scare? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? This annoys me to no end. Woah so there is a lot of blood but oh wait, theres nothing else. No character development, no engaging plot, no bad-ass fight scenes, and no comedy. And just wait when the police guy comes, arghhh. These teenagers do some really stupid things. I know they probably are high ( I can't remember this movie too well myself, I almost fell asleep several times) and I know teenagers are supposed to be stupid ( Believe me I would know) but still you think they could conjure up some more brain power than to just attack a cop. Actually back on the topic of gore. I do seem to like some gore movies but that was when the movies were new, that are now pretty old. For some reason I feel older films can get away with more stuff than newer films but anyway, back to TCM. Wait, I have nothing else to say, this movie is the worst movie to come out all year, granted I didn't go see a lot of movies during the summer so there could have beeen worse . Overall, TCM is a horribly concocted movie made just to get some money by remaking a classic. I have a little word of advice to all Hollyword producers. Try to come out with something original for once. Really, I can name tons of new ideads for movies. Now that I think about it, I shouldn't have seen TCM or Runaway Jury, I should have seen Kill Bill again. Thats a movies with tons of blood but atleast it does it with bad-ass fight scenes and a not so predictable plot. Expand
  28. VIVI
    Oct 19, 2003
    There's a big difference between a film and a movie. A film is a work of art, a movie is a piece of shit that is only done to make money, not to express any feeling or incite. The sad thing is, Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a bad movie.
  29. AlexandreS.
    Oct 21, 2003
    Very good Movie, if you love horror movie, you will like it!
  30. AmberL.
    Apr 7, 2004
    I loved this movie it was so awesome!!
  31. PaigeH.
    Apr 9, 2004
    This is the greatest movie i have ever seen! (even better than cheaper by the dozen.. i think) It was so unbelievably scary, i screamed the whole time.. definitley a must-see! and jessica biel did a great job!
  32. NeilC.
    May 9, 2004
    It scared the hell out of me. But I just found out 4 mins ago it wasn't a true story at all, so I guess it's a little less scary now.
  33. Daniel
    Jun 5, 2004
    I give it one point for bringing attention to the original.
    Jul 31, 2004
    I find it hilarious that actual critics find it appropriate to call movies utter crap simply because they were too big of a pansey to sit through the violence. You people should have enough sense to know what you're getting into when you go to see a movie with the name "massacre" in it. It's not just this movie, just about every movie on this website that contains some I find it hilarious that actual critics find it appropriate to call movies utter crap simply because they were too big of a pansey to sit through the violence. You people should have enough sense to know what you're getting into when you go to see a movie with the name "massacre" in it. It's not just this movie, just about every movie on this website that contains some over-the-top gore is rated down to all hell just because of a few people that get "grossed out" and "disturbed." Cry me a river, if you can't take the violence of a rated R movie, then don't see one. Instead, just write your stupid little review about how violent the movie is without even seeing it. Call the actors bad, because even if they were somewhat good, you'll still call them bad just to try and get at another point to why the movie is so terrible other than "it's vile and sickening." As for me, no, I didn't think this movie was the greatest of all horror movies. It was, however, most certainly disturbing, just like I was expecting. That's why I went to see it though, to be scared. That's the whole point. Knowing you will see blood and horrific images. That you will be frightened. I enjoyed it. Not the best movie by all means, but I enjoyed it. Expand
  35. RitaP.
    Feb 1, 2006
    One of the better horror movies I've seen. It was so scary in parts I felt compelled to turn the VCR off several times.
  36. Thorne
    Nov 1, 2003
    This movie fails because it tries to more than what it is - A horror movie. Whenever you have a cast that doesn't have great acting ability going beyond their limits, you are going to have problems, and that's exatly what this movie has. The chick from 7th heaven looks tremendous, but she wasn't convincing in her portrayal of the lone survivor witnessing the grizzly deaths This movie fails because it tries to more than what it is - A horror movie. Whenever you have a cast that doesn't have great acting ability going beyond their limits, you are going to have problems, and that's exatly what this movie has. The chick from 7th heaven looks tremendous, but she wasn't convincing in her portrayal of the lone survivor witnessing the grizzly deaths of her freinds, and trying to elude a chainsaw wielding maniac. The movie also seemed very patched together and lacked any kind smooth flow; Basically, the plot stunk. As much as I woiuld like to, I cannot recommend this film. Expand
  37. FidelCastro
    Nov 30, 2003
    The movie is not a movie based on true events. The man is real, but none of this happened. Many people must do their homework! But the movie was awesome! Better than the first one. This one had more character developement, and more of a plot. It really brought up suspense, ad made you feel like you were running away from Leatherface (Ed Gein). Many people compare this film to Wrong Turn The movie is not a movie based on true events. The man is real, but none of this happened. Many people must do their homework! But the movie was awesome! Better than the first one. This one had more character developement, and more of a plot. It really brought up suspense, ad made you feel like you were running away from Leatherface (Ed Gein). Many people compare this film to Wrong Turn and House of 1,000 Corpses, but they are ruled out by comparison. House of 1,000 Corpses and Wrong Turn had no character developement whatsoever. In Wrong Turn, all you know is the killers have deformaties, so they wanna kill, why? And in House of 1,000 Corpses, a family wants to kill passerby's, WHY? Well, in TCM, they tell why. Simply because the youngest child was abused verbally by other people because of his deformed appearence. Also, the five friends on the loose are people on their way to a concert in Dallas, TX, and just came back from buying weed in Mexico. No more information should have been provided! It adds more mystery to the film. It makes you want to know more about each one of the people. Excellently done! Jessica Biel did the best job. I was beginning to think she had gone soft from Rules Of Attraction, where she played a very sexual character. She has done every type of acting- a drama/comedy (7th heaven), drama (rules of attraction), and now horror (TCM). She did excellent in making us think that she did do well in this movie, like she was a real person in this situation. Many of the decisions she made as "Erin" make you say, "I would have done the same thing!", and, "Way To Go!". It really makes you wanna see her survive. It makes you wanna help her get out of the clutches of the psychopaths! Awesome movie overall. Expand
  38. Andy
    Nov 6, 2003
    Any horror film that tries to break the current mould of "shock-a-minute cheesy horror flicks" deserves to be seen with an open mind. In my opinion there are many better horror films out there - problem is that none of them are very recent. What I liked about this film is that it is slick, unashamedly grotesque and genuinely has some moments of suspense, shock and horror. Who cares if the Any horror film that tries to break the current mould of "shock-a-minute cheesy horror flicks" deserves to be seen with an open mind. In my opinion there are many better horror films out there - problem is that none of them are very recent. What I liked about this film is that it is slick, unashamedly grotesque and genuinely has some moments of suspense, shock and horror. Who cares if the 'techniques' used by Nispel (Director) have been used a thousand times before - the fact is that this story only really seems to start to lose its way/direction towards the end of the movie; which means that for most of this flick the viewer is actually following the movie rather than checking his/her watch. The storyline differs enough from the original to allow both versions to retain their respective 'identities'. Many will argue that the original was the best and didnt need a remake, but this version is different enough to allow it to stand on its own two feet. Although the film itself ISNT intelligent, the direction IS and therefore if you are after gruesome, slick and atmospheric entertainment that differs from the current trend, then this film is for you. Expand
  39. AlanH.
    Oct 17, 2003
    It was really a good film but also very depressing and i felt bad for the people who went through that.
  40. AshleyS.
    Scary and disturbing.
  41. Bah
    Oct 19, 2003
    As far as horror movies go, its nothing special. It would be scarier if it were actually based on real events instead of inspired by them :P
  42. JeffW.
    Excellent film!!
  43. AnneS.
    Oct 19, 2003
    I was absolutely scared out of my mind while watching this movie. Critics might not like it because they are comparing it to the oringinal, but they have to understand that the original was made in the 70's! I saw the original and I thought this new one was better. Maybe it's because I have seen my share of horror movies that came after the 70's version so when I actually I was absolutely scared out of my mind while watching this movie. Critics might not like it because they are comparing it to the oringinal, but they have to understand that the original was made in the 70's! I saw the original and I thought this new one was better. Maybe it's because I have seen my share of horror movies that came after the 70's version so when I actually saw the original it didn't have the same effect it had on others who saw in the 70's. TCM(2003) delivers that goods. Not only did I scream and jump, but I also felt sick and creeped out just watching and thinking about what was gong on. I would recommend this to anyone. Don't pay attention to the "oldies" who watched the original when there were no good horror movies out there. Go and see this new one! You actually feel and relate to the characters, which never usually happens in horror movies. Expand
  44. AnneS.
  45. ChadS.
    Oct 21, 2003
    If the kids had cell-phones, there would be no reason for them to enter a strange house. That's probably why the producers kept the original timeline intact. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" would've benefited by introducing Leatherface with a little more subtlety. The audience should see him before the characters, but no; suddenly he's there, and it doesn't jolt the If the kids had cell-phones, there would be no reason for them to enter a strange house. That's probably why the producers kept the original timeline intact. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" would've benefited by introducing Leatherface with a little more subtlety. The audience should see him before the characters, but no; suddenly he's there, and it doesn't jolt the audience because there's no build-up. Our introduction to the little boy is scarier than Leatherface's first appearance. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" isn't scary or thrilling, because we're too sophisticated, thus exasperated by the cliche of women running into constricting shelters to shake off the maniac. However, the opening scene isn't bad. The van, and their destination, makes the pretense of 1975 recreation seem plausible. A better film could've derived had they kept on driving. Expand
  46. BrendiP.
    Oct 20, 2003
    forget what the critics say and forget about these people that expected it to outdo the old version. It wasn't trying to be better than the original just trying to give us a different angle. Personally, I thought the original was hardly entertaining, bad acting, and horribly shot. What are we pining over? Stop comparing it to sonething it is not, you cult movie going freaks! I forget what the critics say and forget about these people that expected it to outdo the old version. It wasn't trying to be better than the original just trying to give us a different angle. Personally, I thought the original was hardly entertaining, bad acting, and horribly shot. What are we pining over? Stop comparing it to sonething it is not, you cult movie going freaks! I thought this movie was effective on many levels. I was entertained, not a lot of cheesy dialogue, just enough gore but no where near as much as Cabin Fever, it was scary, the acting was quite convincing, and it was shot very well. Even the sets gave me chills especially leatherface's house. I recommend anyone who likes horror movies for their scare factor and entertainment value to go see this movie. Ignore the rest, they are just sobbing over the fact their precious chainsaw movie has been redone into something actually worth watching. Expand
  47. KatieP.
    Oct 25, 2003
    Come on people, what do you expect? For F*#@'s sake, JESSICA BIEL is in it, how can you think it's going to be a masterpiece. It is much better than most horror movies lately. It was genuninly a good movie, and I do reccomend it. Don't go into a movie starring someone from a show on the 'WB' and expect it to be an Oscar winner.
  48. MattM.
    Oct 29, 2003
    Repackaged, revamped, and recreated for a contemporary audience, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" of 2003 is a dark, eerily stylish, fascinatingly grisly film. It's also quite possibly the most maddeningly terrifying film of the year. After a dreadfully slow setup, the film takes off at breakneck pace and never relents. The cast is fresh and hip, at least by WB standards, and their Repackaged, revamped, and recreated for a contemporary audience, "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" of 2003 is a dark, eerily stylish, fascinatingly grisly film. It's also quite possibly the most maddeningly terrifying film of the year. After a dreadfully slow setup, the film takes off at breakneck pace and never relents. The cast is fresh and hip, at least by WB standards, and their characters are mostly fodder for the maniacal Leatherface (portrayed to sadistic perfection by Andrew Bryniarski). Yet, surprisingly enough, Jessica Biel gives an amazingly effective performance. You can practically feel the terror she is experiencing seeping through the film screen, invading all your senses. She makes you truly partake in the horror, and that is something that is utterly unforgettable about this wickedly scary ride of terror. Expand
  49. SamIAm
    May 9, 2004
    Although it's not true... the TCM was the best horror film i've ever seen.... sad at parts (the hook n the ring) but all in all it was awesome! a definite must see!
  50. AdamW.
    Jul 31, 2004
    Very good enertaining film, scared the sh.t out of me in places! enjoyable! leatherface very scary!
  51. ColR.
    Aug 17, 2004
    This is SO much better than the original, they shouldn't even be compared. Tobe Hoopers' original served to make people think outside the box with Horror movies, and his vision was directly responsible for the production of such classics as "The Blair Witch Project", but if you watch the movie today, it just seems ridiculous. It's demented, silly, and has Leatherface This is SO much better than the original, they shouldn't even be compared. Tobe Hoopers' original served to make people think outside the box with Horror movies, and his vision was directly responsible for the production of such classics as "The Blair Witch Project", but if you watch the movie today, it just seems ridiculous. It's demented, silly, and has Leatherface running around in a shirt and tie. It's grizzly because it's so raw, but this would never stand as a piece of excellent cinematography. The new version, however, if utterly brutal and sinister, as well as being a piece of art using contemporary actors that people can relate to. The use of lighting is great, the attacks from the brutal monstrosity that is Leatherface are really awful, and the movie has maintained such key moments as chainsaw chases and meat hooks. Add to this the literally awesome Lee Ermey as the completely demented redneck sherriff, and you have a modern movie that will send chills down your spine. Forget the original. The original is what has damaged the score for this movie. Watch it as a movie in it's own right and compare it to contemporary movies and I'm sure that you'll agree that this is a hell of a freaky experience. Expand
  52. GabrielD.
    Jan 22, 2005
    For a elven year old kid (which I am) its not a bad movie. But what I heard about the original it probably a better movie. I have to see the original.
  53. RobertB.
    Jan 5, 2005
    What in God's name are you people thinking? Did you watch the same movie I did? This is up there with "Cruel Intentions 2" as one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The movie is terrible. As Roger Ebert (who I often disagree with) so correctly wrote, "The movie doesn't tell a story in any useful sense, but is simply a series of gruesome events which finally are over." I could What in God's name are you people thinking? Did you watch the same movie I did? This is up there with "Cruel Intentions 2" as one of the worst movies I have ever seen. The movie is terrible. As Roger Ebert (who I often disagree with) so correctly wrote, "The movie doesn't tell a story in any useful sense, but is simply a series of gruesome events which finally are over." I could not agree more. Expand
  54. GoreLover
    Jul 2, 2005
    Bonjour other voters/readers of the coments. i happen to be a "young lover of the gore" and ive seen both tcm's and really other voters its not that gorey! theres alot more bloody movies. id have to say the movies were great anyway and if you cant handle horror movies dont watch em and then come complaining. thanks for ready what i had to say on the topic.
  55. poker
    May 21, 2006
    A pretty solid film that is,at the same time revolting. I was on edge multiple times waiting for the next gruesome surprise. Don't get me wrong,alot of this IS uneccesery, I just thought at the same time it was well put together. Could I go without the young mental woman in the beginning of the movie pulling a hidden gun out of...(like I said "uneccesery")and blowing her skull A pretty solid film that is,at the same time revolting. I was on edge multiple times waiting for the next gruesome surprise. Don't get me wrong,alot of this IS uneccesery, I just thought at the same time it was well put together. Could I go without the young mental woman in the beginning of the movie pulling a hidden gun out of...(like I said "uneccesery")and blowing her skull computer to smithereens?The answer would be yes BUT at the same time I Would not have been treated to cult anti - hero,Leatherface unmercifully instinctively and,almost gleefully destroying smug,spoiled,oversexed,potheaded brats(that I am shamefully jealous of,which,coincidentally fuels a fair amount of my affinity for this film). Watch it at night, with the lights out and the volume up. I guarantee if you like horror(not the most intelligent type but horror all the same)you'll like this movie. Expand
  56. antwianf
    Mar 10, 2009
    Superbly gruesome and shockingly suspenseful with a touch of humor.
  57. Marc-o
    Nov 11, 2003
    A good solid horror but i can't give it too high a mark as with the Ring as it's a remake although having said that the story does go off the origanl story (this is no Van Saint Psycho remake) Jessica Biel looks good and the Sheriff was quite a nasty piece of work. All in all a grimey film but for fun and scares i preferred Rob Zombie's House of 1000 corpses.
  58. JayH.
    Oct 17, 2003
    I rate this movie a 9 out of 10 because personally I think it delivers what it's supposed to....FEAR! I haven't been this scared since I saw Jeepers Creepers 1 in the theatre. It has that same feeling like you're not seeing a "horror" movie per se, but sitting in a theatre full of people.. looking through a peep hole.. into the lives of a bunch of people who are being I rate this movie a 9 out of 10 because personally I think it delivers what it's supposed to....FEAR! I haven't been this scared since I saw Jeepers Creepers 1 in the theatre. It has that same feeling like you're not seeing a "horror" movie per se, but sitting in a theatre full of people.. looking through a peep hole.. into the lives of a bunch of people who are being killed. I swear 15 minutes into this movie I felt like I was out there in hicksvile with them! And when the killing started...man..I felt like I was watching a real life SNUFF FILM! Jessica Biel acted her ass off! I forgot she was ever in 7th Heaven, she GENUINELY looked like she was scared out of her mind. You know how in some movies you can tell where a scene cuts to another scene because the actors are acting a little different than a second before...and you say to yourself.."the director must have yelled "cut" right there"? NOT IN THIS FLICK, at least not in the last 40 mins with Jessica Biel. It seemed seemless, from one scene to the next with her trying to survive. It just kept going and her fear, the desperation she was projecting NEVER changed for a second!! I love horror movies but I have to say, this had a different feel than your typical horror movie, I ACTUALLY FELT LIKE I WAS WATCHING REAL PEOPLE BEING MURDERED! I also had a sense of this is what it must be like when you are a victim of a serial killer like Dahmer, or Gacy. Like trapped in their basement somewhere, where no one can hear you or help you...and you're just begging the killer for your life and too please let you go, and you just continue to suffer and suffer. I actually saw a couple walk out! WHEN THE HELL WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW THAT HAPPEN!! I live in New York City and nothing shocks anyone out here enough to just say "Screw the $10.50 I just paid for me and my chick...I just can't take this!!!" When they walked out I kind of felt like following. I couldn't believe I had a thought like that. When the movie ended people walked out of the theatre barely talking! Like they were in shock. Or had the sense they were still OUT THERE IN THAT HOUSE!! If you want to be scared see this movie!!! Not like I just saw "Jason vs Freddy" scared. I mean scared like you just saw something really, really bad happen and you were able to get away..scared. Expand
  59. AndrewW.
    Oct 18, 2003
    A creature-corner.com review put this film in the following way, "Not THE Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but a texas chainsaw massacre." I agree. The classic is in the MOMA for a reason, the 2003 version wont's be. The new film is a scary romp through similar material, but a much different piece of cinema. After the first 10 minutes, it quickly deviates from the original. Director Nispel A creature-corner.com review put this film in the following way, "Not THE Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but a texas chainsaw massacre." I agree. The classic is in the MOMA for a reason, the 2003 version wont's be. The new film is a scary romp through similar material, but a much different piece of cinema. After the first 10 minutes, it quickly deviates from the original. Director Nispel throws horror fans some bones with homage shots to T.Hopper, but the film is truly a "re-interpretation" rather than a "remake." Cheap scares, a weak score, and a lousy end/beginning tie-in aside, the film delivers raw emotion. I felt sick watching this film, a reaction that few horror movies have ever done before. I'm a little disappointed to see Roger Ebert reject this film as much as he did... Expand
  60. ColeyC.
    Oct 18, 2003
    The badest damn movie an the scariest movie ive ever seen.
  61. XiongC.
    Oct 18, 2003
    You have to remember what this is: a slasher movie, not drawing-room comedy. Don't expect character development or even real suspense. The kids just get hacked up, that's all. But then, what did you expect? Better production values than the Hopper landmark, with some nice touches, but nothing will make this film into a legend. You do get what you paid for.
  62. MichaelB.
    Oct 19, 2003
    Just to clear up any confusion people...THIS IS NOT A TRUE STORY! It is loosely based on something that happened in Wisconsin--The same thing that Psycho is based on. No chainsaws, Leatherface or teens. It was however a decent flick, not as bad as most critics are making it out to be.
  63. Joe
    Oct 19, 2003
    Why remake this movie? Why show Leatherace's face? Why does it have the Texas Chainsaw Massacre title but is more like the Wrong Turn remake? Why did I see this movie? It's not like I was begging Hollywood to remake Chainsaw. BTW, there's a difference between sick and scary. This movie is sick, but not scary. How can it be scary, if it's it's like EVERY recent Why remake this movie? Why show Leatherace's face? Why does it have the Texas Chainsaw Massacre title but is more like the Wrong Turn remake? Why did I see this movie? It's not like I was begging Hollywood to remake Chainsaw. BTW, there's a difference between sick and scary. This movie is sick, but not scary. How can it be scary, if it's it's like EVERY recent horror film, except more body parts? Expand
  64. RandomScrub
    Oct 23, 2003
    To 'Joe': You sir, are an idiot, TCM was made first.
  65. DaveC.
    Aug 21, 2004
    One of the worst films I have ever seen. It's loud, sensationalist and ugly and its attempts to meet its ends a completely lamentable and inept in every concievable way. Want a scary film? Watch, the original TCM, the Blair Witch Project, Ring or even the underrated Event Horizon and leave this trash alone.
    Dec 10, 2005
    Disturbing and oogy.
  67. RoleenB.
    Apr 15, 2005
    Its not that bad..its excellent. I remember watching the old ones. Its ewwww..this is better than the first.
  68. AnthonyW.
    Jun 15, 2005
    One of the absolute worst movies I have ever seen. The only point of this movie is to present wave after wave of things to try and revolt you. How someone could actually write or direct something like this escapes me completely.
  69. TimN.
    Nov 22, 2003
    I think this is the best remake of a scary I have ever seen!!!!!!
  70. MichaelC.
    Nov 26, 2003
    Same old crap in a shiny new package. Everything about this movie is typical of the horror genre. You can literally predict each death scene moments before it happens. Most of the movie is spent trying to gross you out rather than actually scare you. And am I the only one who realizes that this and "Wrong Turn" are the same movie?? This one is a no-brainer: save your money.
  71. Corey
    Nov 28, 2003
    I have seen every horror movie ever made. I love those best that truly scare you. This movie did that like no movie i have ever seen. A great horror movie in every sense of the word.
  72. Nov 26, 2011
    It was a good film. It was scary and interesting and I thought it was a solid remake. The only bad thing is the lack of originality in it and a poor female lead.
  73. Jul 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Everything this does is completely miss the mark of the original. The '74 classic gives a grim realistic tone, relying on building atmosphere before frightening us. It doesn't rely on buckets of blood since it was low-budget. This reimagining just amps it up with gore, lots of blood and too polished in terms of production values. The characters are forgettable which makes you care less if they suffer and die. R. Lee Ermey doesn't even bring any justice as the impersonating sheriff who's also a member of the insane family. His death scene made me scream "Hell yeah!"; unlike in the original where the hitchhiker is killed during the final chase scene that made my heart beat faster. Leatherface in this movie is just ridiculous, his mask looks like a clown mask shoved in an easy-bake oven. The original mask is made of flesh from past victims and poorly made. It tries to recreate the original scenes with no sense of subtlety. A shameless remake that doesn't deserve to be seen. Expand
  74. Sep 1, 2011
    Better than the Original. It had more storyline, the effects were better and it was much scarier. My only criticism is that it relies on bloody violence to make it more scary, but there was some brilliant suspense.
  75. Sep 17, 2011
    The first one from those remakes' trend which lasts till today, unlike the majority which came later, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake is worthy and valid, which followed a path somewhat different from the original, a bit away from that amateurism (many think that's what made the first film so creepy), but without economizing the suspense and blood. The direction from Niespel Marcus isThe first one from those remakes' trend which lasts till today, unlike the majority which came later, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake is worthy and valid, which followed a path somewhat different from the original, a bit away from that amateurism (many think that's what made the first film so creepy), but without economizing the suspense and blood. The direction from Niespel Marcus is quite stylish, the cast, despite only containing good looking actors, is good. It is really worthwhile. Expand
  76. Feb 26, 2013
    I am a big fan of Horror movies, but believe it or not, this is the only version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that I ever liked. The reason is simple, for this one, they actually got a real cast that include two of my favorite actors and the gorgeous Jessica Biel. This story isn't any different than the other ones. A bunch of friends on a road trip take a wrong turn and find themselvesI am a big fan of Horror movies, but believe it or not, this is the only version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre that I ever liked. The reason is simple, for this one, they actually got a real cast that include two of my favorite actors and the gorgeous Jessica Biel. This story isn't any different than the other ones. A bunch of friends on a road trip take a wrong turn and find themselves being hunted by a mad man. The film is full of gore, bad jokes, and beautiful people, it's really nothing out of the ordinary, except for the cast. Great actors can make anything entertaining, even the most bland and repetitive film gets new life when you introduce a cast like this. Three extremely talented and under appreciated actors, give support to the less experienced cast members, and while much of the film was focused on Biel and Leatherface, you could still see the influence of the veteran stars on the rest of this cast. If you don't like Horror, this film won't change your mind. If you're looking for originality, you won't find it here. If you're looking for some good performances from a very talented cast, that is something The remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre will give you. Expand
  77. Feb 21, 2012
    A solid horror remake imo. It introduces a new generation of fans to the series and it worked out very well imo. It was scary, It featured decent acting through out, and imo its one of the best horror films released in the 2000s.
  78. Mar 20, 2012
    This movie gets alot of hell for being to far from the original. I personally think its better than the original. Its a extremely well made horror film. Instead of making an exact replica of the 1974 cult film, they take the basic idea and run with it, adding a great likable cast, gritty camera work, and a top notch musical score. While this is the remake that started the trend, its alsoThis movie gets alot of hell for being to far from the original. I personally think its better than the original. Its a extremely well made horror film. Instead of making an exact replica of the 1974 cult film, they take the basic idea and run with it, adding a great likable cast, gritty camera work, and a top notch musical score. While this is the remake that started the trend, its also one of the best horror films of the 20th century. 9/10. Expand
  79. ETV
    Apr 22, 2012
    What an awful film. Like. Seriously!!! Everything was predictable and not one character was likable. So glad I borrowed the DVD and not wasted my money on it
  80. May 22, 2013
    This was a very impressive Horror film that only seems to keep getting better every time I watch it. The flaws are minimal but the major one that's worth pointing out is the almost PG death scenes (studio was avoiding hitting a R rating) but that aside it's a great remake! Jessica Beil is great as the leading lady and joined by a talented cast. Storyline can't be messed around with tooThis was a very impressive Horror film that only seems to keep getting better every time I watch it. The flaws are minimal but the major one that's worth pointing out is the almost PG death scenes (studio was avoiding hitting a R rating) but that aside it's a great remake! Jessica Beil is great as the leading lady and joined by a talented cast. Storyline can't be messed around with too much but it wasn't and it made for a very effective remake and a real delight to watch for any Horror fan! Expand
  81. Jul 3, 2014
    Couldn't finish it, couldn't watch half of it. Every bit of violence is inevitable from the beginning five to ten minutes of the film. The only reason I saw it was because I could look at Jessica Biel. That's all horror movies offer these days; attractive damsels in distress.
  82. Mar 28, 2015
    An above average remake of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Fully packed violence, and acceptable acting keep the film alive but lacks the strength the original has.
  83. Nov 21, 2014
    This movie was just average, as I expected. I wasn't expecting the remake to match the original but it certainly wasn't the worst horror movie remake I've seen. Continuing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies only seems to generate more and more money for the franchise, considering the budget for the movies is so small to begin with. I didn't have many scares in the film, not nearly as scaryThis movie was just average, as I expected. I wasn't expecting the remake to match the original but it certainly wasn't the worst horror movie remake I've seen. Continuing the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies only seems to generate more and more money for the franchise, considering the budget for the movies is so small to begin with. I didn't have many scares in the film, not nearly as scary as the original. However I enjoyed Jessica Biel and R Lee Ermy. I thought they played their roles fairly well. With Michael Bay being involved in this film I'm not shocked that it got mixed reviews as he never seems to be able to get any sort of critical acclaim. He's bringing in the money though. Expand

1. The gruesomely unnecessary remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is such a smorgasbord of slimy grunge that to call the movie gross wouldn't do it justice -- it's downright sticky.
    The film delivers with enough consistency to warrant a qualified recommendation for those seeking a few extra scares at this time of the year.
  3. I don't know if Nispel and Scott Kosar, who make their feature film debuts here, are the worst director and writer in the world, though they might well represent the United States if anyone holds a competition. I do know they deliver a total of zero laughs, scares or surprises in this remake of the infamously creepy 1974 picture.