7.7

1. JimG.
    Jul 22, 2006
    Old school western that keeps you engaged.
  2. SeanR.
    Jul 8, 2006
    Despite the fact that I didn't like an aspect of the movie it was entertaining and worth the 4 bucks.
  3. Sayre
    Jun 11, 2006
    Man was I disappointed. To get drug through all that and have nothing to show for it? Jones's character is a "romantic fool". One mistake lead to another, and with a shrug we ride off into the sunset. Crap. Read Ken G, Peter F reviews for more "insight" into this boring let down of a movie. They're onto it.
  4. SusanB.
    Jun 10, 2006
    This movie could have been more interesting but I found it slow. It dd have some interesting characters and there were some moments of tension and irony but not enough to overcome the pace.
  5. Msic
    Jan 23, 2006
    Certainly worthy, and unlike Arriaga's previous efforts, the flashbacks add poignancy rather than just formal flash. But there are needless caricatures and bits of side business (e.g. the blind man) that add nothing. Plus, TLJ the director is proficient at best. Peckinpah's legacy is safe.
  6. KenG.
    Mar 12, 2006
    A beautifully shot film, and I like the performances, (escepially Jones) but a movie where the acting and the cinematography were alot better then the script. It is one thing for a movie to be leisurely told, but first half of film is so sputteringly told that it feels like it is actually going out of its way to be leisurely. That film is reaching about trying to find things to throw in A beautifully shot film, and I like the performances, (escepially Jones) but a movie where the acting and the cinematography were alot better then the script. It is one thing for a movie to be leisurely told, but first half of film is so sputteringly told that it feels like it is actually going out of its way to be leisurely. That film is reaching about trying to find things to throw in so it doesn't have to get on with its story. To much of this part of movie is filmakers trying to impress us with showing how they can fool around with telling a story, rather then them telling their story. A certain amout of this is ok, but they over did it. 2nd half of story is more straight forward, but it is very uneventul, which is ok, if there was some tension, but movie has a decided lack of underlaying tension, partly because there is almost no dialogue between Jones and Pepper. Collapse
  7. ChristianW.
    Dec 26, 2006
    After reading gushing reviews for this film I was disappointed and, frankly, bored as this surprisingly shallow modern western meandered to a conclusion that had me asking "is that it?". Good points were Dwight Yoakam's acting, though his character exited too early, and the films dark and slightly surreal atmosphere. Bad aspects include its slow pace, irrelevant encounters, hard to After reading gushing reviews for this film I was disappointed and, frankly, bored as this surprisingly shallow modern western meandered to a conclusion that had me asking "is that it?". Good points were Dwight Yoakam's acting, though his character exited too early, and the films dark and slightly surreal atmosphere. Bad aspects include its slow pace, irrelevant encounters, hard to swallow coincidences, Tommy Lee Jones' unconvincing character and lack of expression, loose ends and stereotyped characters. Some of the scenes with the corpse made me wonder ifI was watching the third "Weekend at Bernies" installment by mistake. Expand

Sam Peckinpah lives! The rampaging spirit of the late filmmaker, known as Bloody Sam for films such as "The Wild Bunch" and "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia," is all over this blistering modern Western from first-time director Tommy Lee Jones.
  2. Jones displays a firm hand at the helm -- you sense that he is well within his comfort zone in this environment -- and performances including his own are lively and convincing.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Outstandingly realized on all levels.