7.9

1. Apr 29, 2016
    The Triplets of Belleville is already obvious what were the results. A big, fun animation just for the best of the people and their need of watching movies.
  2. Mar 4, 2012
    The Triplets of Belleville is the film that made Sylvain Chomet famous. It is a quaint and old-fashion tale about a grandma and her dog looking for her grandson, a bicyclist that is kidnapped from The Tour of France by the local mafia. He is taken to Belleville, which is a sort of Sin City, a mix between New York and Las Vegas. There the old lady will meet the Triplets, that now a day areThe Triplets of Belleville is the film that made Sylvain Chomet famous. It is a quaint and old-fashion tale about a grandma and her dog looking for her grandson, a bicyclist that is kidnapped from The Tour of France by the local mafia. He is taken to Belleville, which is a sort of Sin City, a mix between New York and Las Vegas. There the old lady will meet the Triplets, that now a day are outdated and forgotten by show business.
    This movie with poor dialogues and expressionist graphics, reach high levels of concepts that want to transmit: the pauper environments have caught the characters and take away from them the possibility of dreaming; this characters have to survive by any way, because the show business has failed; the human beings are represented with characteristics of animals and things, because they live in a materialistic society and are what they truly demonstrate; gathering everything it can be said that there is no escape from the reality.
    The Triplets of Belleville is a strange, but hilarious film. The direction is unique, the art direction is beautiful and the music is overwhelming, the Belleville Rendez-Vous is one of the best movie themes of all times.
  3. Feb 17, 2013
    I didn't enjoy it. Not for a single second. Extremely depressing and confusing! I can not say if it is overrated or not (maybe i'm missing something about this movie, maybe i'm not) but with all my sincerity, i must admit i didn't like it.
  4. Feb 9, 2011
    My favourite cartoon film of time. Beautiful art direction and animation, creative and original story, deep emotional undertones and symbolism. Amazing from start to finish. One of the most catchy theme songs of all time. Do yourself a favor and check this out
  5. Nov 18, 2012
    There was little communication of warmth between mother and son. The son barely acknowledged her existence. Missing that emotional connection, I just couldn't fully connect to the film despite its great production levels
  6. DavidC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    One of the best animated series i have ever seen.
  7. NadimR.
    May 2, 2004
    Uber-pretentious garbage. the only good part of this movie was the catchy tune throughout. "it stinks!"
  8. W.O.
    May 26, 2004
    This was a great movie. Everything about it was unique and extremely interesting.
  9. JoeyM.
    Aug 22, 2004
    One of the strangest, most wonderful, silliest and (oddly enough) most moving films I've seen in years. Basically, it is the story of an extremely devoted grandmother trying her best to create a happy life for her bike riding grandson. The movie features one of the most realistic dogs ever portrayed on film, IMO. This includes many live action dogs. Anyhow, while this movie is not One of the strangest, most wonderful, silliest and (oddly enough) most moving films I've seen in years. Basically, it is the story of an extremely devoted grandmother trying her best to create a happy life for her bike riding grandson. The movie features one of the most realistic dogs ever portrayed on film, IMO. This includes many live action dogs. Anyhow, while this movie is not for everyone, I will go out on a limb and say that it is for nearly everyone. Just a last note - the ending does make sense. It ties back in with something else from earlier in the film. To say more would be to spoil it. Expand
  10. JonathanS.
    Jan 30, 2005
    Bizarre, amazing, entertaining. The perfect cure for the person who has seen too many movies.
  11. KestynM.
    Jun 9, 2005
    This movie was so artistic, from design to production. The detail put into each character is amazing. There was so much effort put into sound effects, and digital effects. It was realistic, yet had the charm of being animated.
  12. WilliamS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Certainly a visual marvel and also scores with a big heart.
  13. MatthewH.
    Feb 1, 2004
    Absolutely amazing movie. Not one line of dialogue the entire movie (with one exception), yet it made me laugh and cry and shake my head with wonder. It is a somber movie, couched in dilapitated, deserted, and drab environments, which can explain the few people here who have given it low ratings. I imagine they were looking for more spectacle, and less emotion.
  14. LouiseS.
    Feb 18, 2004
    I loved this movie. The animation was absolutely incredible. The film was sooooo French!
  15. MikeN.
    Mar 5, 2004
    It's fun and definitely has a distinctive look. But to be honest, this is a 80 minute film with about the same content as one of the better episodes of "Family Guy" or "The Simpsons". And fewer laughs. I liked it and its extreme weirdness is worth something all by itself. But I don't see it as a real classic.
  16. RichardG.
    May 27, 2004
    Bizarre animation that provides little effect.
  17. JamesM.
    Jul 1, 2004
    The movie was weird and charming at the same time. I loved this cartoon. This is something I can appreciate.
  18. StephenD.
    Jul 18, 2004
    The animation was very good, but the story is pretentious and boring. There is no dialogue, and the ending didn't make sense. This movie is not nearly as good as the critics would have you believe.
  19. PaulH
    Oct 7, 2005
    Wonderfully strange, one of the most beautiful animated cartoons in years.
  20. DavidK.
    Jul 8, 2005
    Uh, it's strange, for sure. Just don't take the little kids. Especially if they like frogs.
  21. MikeW.
    Jan 20, 2006
    Mesmerizing movie that sets you into the director's animated world , I almost wish i could live there.
  22. Harry
    Nov 17, 2008
    "The Triplets of Belleville" is one of the most charming, original and hilarious experiences I've ever had at a movie theater. It is a tribute to Silent movies but also a caricature of New York, Paris and Montreal. The animation simply tops anything Disney has ever made. How it didn't win best animated film at the Oscars is beyond me. This is one of the greats!
  23. RozE.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Great! At last, non-Disney animation! I have shown it to my students aged 13-16, and they remember it for years, and can describe its quirks, and distinctive visual style - fabulous! Who could forget the frogs, the musical 'instruments', the ship, the shape of the 'baddies', and those calf muscles! fantastic!
  24. AmyC.
    Mar 10, 2009
    Delightfully weird and beautiful. The music is wonderful.
  25. alec
    Nov 24, 2004
    THE BEST ANIMATED FILM EVER! (since Yellow Submarine) Great music really hilarious and super creative. Who cares about the Josephine Baker scene. This should have been rated PG. This film should have won best animated film in 2003! It's a lot better thandn the terrible and horible film "Finding Nemo". Great job MR. Chomet!!
  26. JesseC.
    Jan 7, 2004
    Long and boring. There is no comedy other than a few humurous slapstick events. Don't waste the money on this one.
  27. Ted
    Feb 15, 2004
    Terrible. I left the theater with the same distaste I felt after seeing Punch Drunk Love. On the plus side, the animation was refreshingly different from the plastic-perfect world typically portrayed in American cartoons. It was not over soon enough.
  28. JohnC.
    Feb 24, 2004
    I loved it. I don't know why, but I loved it. It is not for everyone and hardly for the majority. Don't go into this wanting Shrek or Finding Nemo, both very good movie don't get me wrong. I don't know why but I loved the people and the music. I was oddly and completly drawn to this grotesque piece of beauty.
  29. PrestonF.
    Feb 29, 2004
    A truly wonderful story, and amazing animation and music!
  30. JamesR.
    Mar 24, 2004
    Remarkably original, visually stunning.

It's comic, touching and a visual knockout.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Triplettes is terrific…there's no competition for the fall's most imaginative delight. In that race, Triplettes can already take its victory lap.
  3. Children may enjoy it, aside from the youngest, who might find it too weird for comfort. Its main audience is adults, though. And not just any adults, but those in the mood for venturesome fare that's both surreal and hilarious.