8.1

1. FranciscoC.
    Jan 22, 2010
    A fantastic movie with a interesting plot that makes you think, and a very good performance by Jim Carrey.
  2. maxim
    Nov 27, 2006
    The Best Movie of 1990s. Jim Carrey gave a performance of his lifetime.
  3. lolriffic
    Oct 14, 2009
    All you tools that don't have the brain power to understand the simples plot of The Truman Show should go back to your tool racks and rust. And for all you kids crying about there not being action in the move, it's because IT"S NOT AN ACTION MOVIE!
  4. SandraK.
    Dec 3, 2004
    It was a very good movie.. i like´t it a lot .. fun to watch :D
  5. TaylorJ.
    Jan 28, 2010
    wow, some of these user votes have the most retarded, ignorant opinions. this is one of my favorite movies, and is a genius film if you think about it...and whoever thought that this was an action flick is a moron.
  6. MikeM.
    Jun 21, 2002
    A wonderful tale about how the controlling, manipulative world can be brought to it's knees by a curious mind that will not be detered. Noah Emmerich almost steals the thunder from Jim Carrey but not without some of Carrey's trademark facial expressions. Ed Harris is brilliant as Cristof, the brain behind the show in the movie. I am disappointed in myself for waiting so long to A wonderful tale about how the controlling, manipulative world can be brought to it's knees by a curious mind that will not be detered. Noah Emmerich almost steals the thunder from Jim Carrey but not without some of Carrey's trademark facial expressions. Ed Harris is brilliant as Cristof, the brain behind the show in the movie. I am disappointed in myself for waiting so long to buy the bare bones dvd just because the movie is so powerful. Expand
  7. kvn
    Oct 28, 2004
    What a good film!! Love jim and love the film also, very funny also kissies.
  8. AndrewM.
    May 17, 2004
    Marvellously mocking film even more relevant today with the runaway rampage that is reality TV. Carrey is simply superb! Many doubted he could pull off such a role but he showed otherwise and without doubt is the true star of the "Show". Excellent scripting and editing, and seamless direction from Weir. It's arguable whether it will stand the test of time, but is certainly a modern Marvellously mocking film even more relevant today with the runaway rampage that is reality TV. Carrey is simply superb! Many doubted he could pull off such a role but he showed otherwise and without doubt is the true star of the "Show". Excellent scripting and editing, and seamless direction from Weir. It's arguable whether it will stand the test of time, but is certainly a modern day classic! Expand
  9. VikramM.
    Jun 11, 2004
    I wish I could give this a 12! This movie was beyond great!!! It wasn't funny, but it was a good concept and it is quite sad how they just took Truman's life away! Jim Carrey is great in this! One of his few serious films was a good one! Stunning performance! I would recommend this movie to anyone!
  10. ShaneK.
    Aug 25, 2006
    My favorite movie. This film silences even the harshest Jim Carrey critics. This man was robbed of an Oscar nomination for his performance in this movie. Great supporting performance by Ed Harris as well. This movie will really make you think and you won't be shy of things to talk about after you watch it. This is quite simply the most original movie I have ever seen. The greatest My favorite movie. This film silences even the harshest Jim Carrey critics. This man was robbed of an Oscar nomination for his performance in this movie. Great supporting performance by Ed Harris as well. This movie will really make you think and you won't be shy of things to talk about after you watch it. This is quite simply the most original movie I have ever seen. The greatest film of the 90s. Expand
  11. JeffS.
    Jan 5, 2007
    This movie is amazing and anyone who thinks oherwise is wrong... Jim Carey was amazing in it. The movie was easy to understand and follow.
  12. FredB.
    Oct 17, 2006
    A brilliantly made movie, with fun, suspense and even a little action. Jim Carry does a great job selling the role and is supported by great actors/actresses.
  13. Feb 25, 2011
    This movie is so awesome in every way. It manages to prove that a funny man can break our hearts (which would happen again in Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler some time after). This film has one of the most original story-lines from '98 and is written to perfection. The balance of originality and great writing, not to mention Carrey, isn't the only thing that delivers a power punch. ItThis movie is so awesome in every way. It manages to prove that a funny man can break our hearts (which would happen again in Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler some time after). This film has one of the most original story-lines from '98 and is written to perfection. The balance of originality and great writing, not to mention Carrey, isn't the only thing that delivers a power punch. It is the message, that is explained in such a manner that even the people not searching for depth in the first place can find it, that is amazing. The depth of thought that the writers went through to get to the theme that "whatever world we are born in, we will instantly believe is real" is astonishing. The Academy made big mistakes in '98: 1. Saving Private Ryan not winning Best Picture, and 2. The Truman Show not being nominated for Best Picture, Actor, Score and Cinematography (the first two getting a win wouldn't have been an upset to me). Basically, if you want a wholly original film that is funny, heartbreaking and thought-provoking, The Truman Show is one of the best picks. Expand
  14. Mar 23, 2012
    An amazing film with and with a great ending, a rare thing.
    The writing is great and I never knew what was going to happen next and when it did, it was an awesome thing to see.
    Jim Carrey is most definitely a LEGEND!!!

Good Morning, oh and in case I don't see ya. Good Afternoon, Good Evening and Good Night. :D
  15. Nov 15, 2012
    Brilliant movie idea and a great performance by Jim Carrey how he did not win an Oscar for this suggests that perhaps they do have a thing against some comedians.
  16. Apr 16, 2013
    Weir's impeccable directing and the brilliant script give this film the deserving title of a true masterpiece. Carrey proves his versatility as an actor and the supporting cast help deem this a true work of art.
  17. Jun 20, 2014
    This film is absolute bollocks. It destroyed my brain with the stupid story line. I have to admit, it intrigued me at first, but as soon as I understood the plot i felt like shoving two heroin needles in both of my eyes. I snapped my DVD after i realised the plot because it **** wasted my time with the rest of the film. It told you the plot half way through the film and then wastes yourThis film is absolute bollocks. It destroyed my brain with the stupid story line. I have to admit, it intrigued me at first, but as soon as I understood the plot i felt like shoving two heroin needles in both of my eyes. I snapped my DVD after i realised the plot because it **** wasted my time with the rest of the film. It told you the plot half way through the film and then wastes your time with the other half of the film with the same **** over and over again. **** this film hard in the disk hole, piece of **** film 11/18 Expand
  18. Oct 6, 2010
    Seriously, hands down- one of my favorite movies. The story is orginal. The cinematography is perfect. Jim Carey is excellent. Surely this movie is a comedy and it has it's fair share of funny moments however, the depth of this movie is what brings me back time and time again.
  19. Oct 22, 2011
    The plot may rarely override itself in some moments, but nevertheless "The Truman Show" is a funny but sad movie that uses wonderful performances by Jim Carrey and innovative direction from Peter Weir as its main fuel.
  20. Jan 13, 2013
    By far the best screenplay I have ever seen, and Jim Carrey does the performance of the year. It's the one film that you actually want Jim Carrey to go crazy. Laura Linney was surprisingly dazzling in her performance and the events happen in the smartest way possible. This film is absolutely beautiful.
  21. Sep 19, 2013
    Hands down, this film rocks. The world created for Truman and the way they movie plays out is truly amazing. I love seeing films like this make their way into theaters and into our hearts.
  22. Feb 15, 2014
    Amazing movie! Other then Eternal Sunshine my favorite Jim Carrey movie ever. Carreys acting, the direction, the story and just about everything else in this movie is fantastic.
  23. Mar 21, 2011
    One of the best Jim Carrey movie ever made. This movie shows that Jim Carrey is more than just the wacky guy off of Dumb & Dumber. He can act and he can act very well in dramatic movies.
  24. JaredB.
    Jan 15, 2007
    This film, in my opinion, was nothing more than a steaming pile of garbage. Jim Carrey should have stuck to what he does best, and that is, of course, comedy. He simply doesn't work as a dramatic actor. The rest of the cast sucks, too. The only thing that saves this from being a total disaster is Peter Weir's directing ability. But, even he was hampered by the terrible script.
  25. Carlie
    May 8, 2009
    I did not like the movie because there was not much action. I was kind of funny. It was boring and did not make much since. I got lost a few times in the movie and did not understand what was going on.
  26. ButteredPopCorn
    Mar 8, 2003
    A bit too much concept, and definitely not very funny. Like one reviewer said-"intelligent fun", only I didn't find it particularly successful on either account.
  27. kate
    May 8, 2009
    I didn't really care for the movie all that much. I got lost quite a few times during the movie. But they changed scenes a lot more than I had expected they would, which that's where I sort of got confused. And didn't understand the point in the movie.
  28. kelli
    May 8, 2009
    I didn't like the movie at all. It wasn't interresting at all. It wasn't really fun at all. All I liked a bout was the funny Jim Carrie. How he was in the film of filmen the videos.
    Sep 5, 2005
    I'm usually an action/sci-fi fan, and don't give much a care about movies outside of that genre, save for war dramas. However, this one proved to be quite an exception. I just get lost in this film, absorbed in it like nothing else.
  30. ManveerR.
    Feb 24, 2006
    An absolute bore, sure the performances were goodbut the movie just dragged on.
  31. JohnP.
    Jul 26, 2008
    An excruciatingly empty film with the most annoying characters, script and pace, surely making this movie one of the worst I've ever endured. The more simplistic a movie gets, the greater it's general acclaim? Must be... Should be listed under 'Horror'.
  32. Jan 1, 2011
    Well the movie was boring. I thought it would be good but I was disappointed. Carrey should just stick to what he does best, comedy.
  33. Nov 28, 2012
    A brilliantly written and directed dramedy, featuring easily the best performance Jim Carrey has ever committed to film.
  34. Jul 2, 2013
    The whole concept of this movie is just amazing. It's an original idea that is developed perfectly. The acting and cinematography are both extremely well done. In general, this is an all around great movie and one of my personal favorites.
  35. Nov 28, 2013
    I've always been a fan of Jim Carrey's movies since i can remember,
    and the Truman show is critically acclaimed which i should like automatically right, NOPE.
    i admire that the story is creative and coming from high imagination but the problem with a high imagined movie is the end, because with your imagination you can create a perfect movie world with perfect events, but the hardest
    I've always been a fan of Jim Carrey's movies since i can remember,
    but the hardest thing to do is to close this world with an eventful plot, unfortunately the end in this movie was so bad,
    that it actually pissed me off, Truman was born and raised in this fake world, so he have no idea about the actual real world,
    so you'd think he's very excited and anticipated to get out but a huge character development was missing from the plot and ending the movie like this with a fake smile "good morning, good evening and goodnight"
    was the worst ending to a movie i have ever seen.
    the end actually left me speechless for about 9 minutes.
  36. JacquesR.
    Apr 3, 2001
    Yet another movie that I've seen about 10 ten times, and it never seems to get old. The first time I saw it, I was disappointed by the ending. I wanted more. But then I realized that "story" had ended at that point. A fine job by Peter Weir, and Jim Carrey is phenomenal.
  37. JohnO.
    Jan 12, 2004
    A superb concept carried out with both care and precision, making it both interesting and amusing. This is definitely the best movie in Jim Carrey's entire repertoire.
  38. MickG.
    Aug 1, 2006
    Jim Carey's is an all around actor. Awesome movie.
  39. Steve
    Mar 8, 2007
    Great movie. In my opinion, Jim Carrey's best performance and one of the most underrated films of all time. Very emotional ending, which gets me just about every time I watch it.
  40. PaoloM.
    Jun 6, 2002
    One of the best movies I ever seen: superb idea, great director, unique Jim and heart-touching soundtrack too.
  41. OsamaL.
    May 8, 2003
    It Was The best movie ever.
  42. BillS.
    Sep 21, 2003
    Almost gave it a 6, then up'd it another point for the love story part of the film. This is the first movie were I realized Jim Carrey will never have depth as an actor. He's much better in movies like Liar, Liar where he can apply his wonderful comedic skills.
  43. JoelCamboC.
    Jan 27, 2005
    What an amazing movie. For the longest time, I thought Carrey couldnt pull off a serious role until I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time. So I decided to check this one out having no idea what is was about. I thought it was about the president or something actually. Anyway, it turned out to be really original and one of What an amazing movie. For the longest time, I thought Carrey couldnt pull off a serious role until I saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which turned out to be one of my favorite movies of all time. So I decided to check this one out having no idea what is was about. I thought it was about the president or something actually. Anyway, it turned out to be really original and one of the most interesting movies Ive ever seen. Not for everyone though, my ex hates this movie and left the theater apparently without even giving it a chance. Expand
  44. PeterR
    Jul 26, 2008
    Fabulous movie.
  45. BobR.
    Aug 14, 2008
    An almost perfect movie. The ending is one of the best I've ever seen. Definately a must-see.
  46. Joey
    Oct 10, 2009
    A masterpiece. In the beginning you feel lulled into a false sense of security about the crafted world Truman is placed in. From a wonderful start to a very emotional ending, the Truman Show is by far one of my favorite movies ever. The last few reviews seem to be posted by the same 12 year old, though. Don't take them seriously. This is a brilliant and original film.
  47. Grace
    Oct 6, 2009
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. Jim Carrey actually plays a character instead of just Jim Carrey. It's clever and even though it's old, it's awesome.
  48. ClifC.
    Mar 9, 2009
    I knew Carrey was talented and this movie was the real demonstration of his skills. The plot is amazingly well-constructed and the details and themes (medias, allegory of the cave, existentialism, ...) are brilliantly used and true (for the world we live in)! And maybe this shocked and irritated some of the people who gave negative reviews. But hey... Wake up, welcomle to our word!
  49. MarcusS
    May 8, 2009
    I liked the movie! It kept you guessing, it was funny and also serious. The sad part is when he relizes it is all fake. It was funny when the boat crashes throughthe sky/wall. His last words were "Good morning,Good evening and Goodnight". The lines were done well. The characters did excellent. This movie was really good.
  50. TaylorR
    May 8, 2009
    I liked to movie, but it had some weird parts. I liked what the movie was about. I didn't like the picture color of the movie. I didn't like how they were being mean to Truman. It was weird how they trapped him in his own world. Also, I didn't like how his wife is mean and a freak.
  51. MustaphaM.
    Mar 16, 2002
    One of the best movies I've ever seen. Touching and entertaining, tragic and emboldening, this film is one of Jim Carrey's best performances.
  52. ScottK.
    Jun 7, 2002
    Great movie.
  53. It'sTheGilbertMulroneycakesHour
    Jul 14, 2003
    Buttered PopCorn bemoans the fact that it's not very funny. Just as well it's not a comedy, then, really. One of my favourite films, featuring stunning performances from Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, Natascha McElhone and Laura Linney - who looks so much like Streep's daughter in this film that I'm not sure it's a coincidence that her character's character is called Buttered PopCorn bemoans the fact that it's not very funny. Just as well it's not a comedy, then, really. One of my favourite films, featuring stunning performances from Jim Carrey, Ed Harris, Natascha McElhone and Laura Linney - who looks so much like Streep's daughter in this film that I'm not sure it's a coincidence that her character's character is called "Meryl". Also starring: Peter Weir, who reminds people why Hollywood took a chance on him in the first place: the sequence with Harris dwarfed by a huge feed of Truman sleeping is as moving as images get. Oh, and the score is one of the best ever not to be composed by Shore or Williams. Watch. This. Movie. Expand
  54. PatC.
    Jan 15, 2004
    Carrey's zanyness channelled just enough to give it direction. A statement on people's natural inclination to regard the media as a fix. Perfectly conceived, played and concluded. Slightly drug out. The flip side of Gump, who is a fictional man living reality. This is a real person living fiction.
  55. DanC.
    Jan 26, 2004
    The Truman Show is a very entertaining film with an important message. Very good.
  56. JonathanH.
    Apr 3, 2004
    One of the best movies of the 90's IMO, sadly forgotten, when it came out the reviews were universally good, and then when oscar time came around it wasn't even much talked about, a brilliant Peter Weir film for his brilliant career.
  57. Brad
    Aug 12, 2005
    One of the greatest movie of all time.
  58. CarterP.
    Sep 4, 2005
    I fell in love with this movie at a very young age. It is a movie that is impossible to turn away from. The ending is one of the greatest scenes in film history.
  59. JeremyE.
    Feb 22, 2009
    I will never understand critics. Bruce almighty was 10 times funnier than this movie and it got really bad reviews. but then this movie get good reviews from nearly every critic. It wasn't even that good. It was ok, but it wasn't funny enough to be a comedy or dramatic enough to be a drama. it got boring.
  60. Shokz
    Jul 30, 2009
    The problem, it seems, is that the only low scores come from people that have failed to grasp the plot and / or only enjoy watching things blow up. If you're too simple to understand the film then feel free to pass through without rating.
  61. YoonC.
    Sep 21, 2003
    An audacious idea for a movie, provocative in its questions about the pervasive power of modern medium and how it imprisons both the subject and the viewer in an interdependent relationship of self-deception/delusion. Also, works as an allegory about God and man. But, Jim Carrey is a shallow actor, even at the moment of his self-realization and liberation, and the movie's treatment An audacious idea for a movie, provocative in its questions about the pervasive power of modern medium and how it imprisons both the subject and the viewer in an interdependent relationship of self-deception/delusion. Also, works as an allegory about God and man. But, Jim Carrey is a shallow actor, even at the moment of his self-realization and liberation, and the movie's treatment of its themes tend toward glibness. Like Simone, created by the same writer, the movie is predicated on the notion that all of are too dumb to see thru the b.s. Expand
  62. BrianG.
    Nov 2, 2005
    One of my favorite movies of all time. The Truman Show is so gripping, yet ominously false at the same time, the line of distinction becomes marred into a glorious film.
  63. J.RyanG.
    May 29, 2005
    Perhaps it was all the hype that ruined this movie for me, and perhaps it was Jim Carrey. I am a huge fan of director Peter Weir's work, but this is not one of his best films. It seems to be missing something. It seems a little hollow and flimsy, like fake plastic trees and movie-set houses. The film lacks a truly human element to make us realize that the cardboard world we're Perhaps it was all the hype that ruined this movie for me, and perhaps it was Jim Carrey. I am a huge fan of director Peter Weir's work, but this is not one of his best films. It seems to be missing something. It seems a little hollow and flimsy, like fake plastic trees and movie-set houses. The film lacks a truly human element to make us realize that the cardboard world we're visiting is anything but comfortable and inviting. Jim Carrey is supposed to be that human element, but somehow, he fails at being human. Perhaps it's his eccentric enthusiasm that makes him seem too happy in his surroundings to question them. Someone a little less demonstrative and a little more melancholic might have the subtlety and introspective nature to realize he was out of place. Someone like, dare I say, Nicolas Cage. Save Jim Carrey for the Broadway version, please! Expand
  64. James
    Jan 14, 2008
    My favorite movie ever. This movie does a perfect job showing the media's exploitation of personal rights. The movie empathizes with the viewer and the viewer empathizes with the movie. Truman is the sad sole, who deserves a life, but is not given a true one. Its beautifully made with an ending that is so emotionally perfect, that you feel you are part of this fake world.
  65. WesM.
    Jul 18, 2008
    Sentimental but still quite resonant.
  66. Frank
    Oct 14, 2009
    All you kids that get lost and confused in the movie should go back to school. The movie was excellent, and the cinematography and script is outstanding. And to all you people that got bored of it because there was no action, IT'S BECUASE IT ISN'T AN ACTION MOVIE! Gtfo the internet and go back to your hole you trolls.
  67. JonE.$
    Nov 17, 2003
    The incredible concept for this movie worked out perfectly. It was funny, thoughtful, and provocative all at the same time--an extraordinary achievement.
  68. TaliaS.
    Dec 21, 2007
    A masterpiece in every sense of the word. A metaphor of the struggle to break free from the expections of others and to live an authentic life. Bravo, Mr. Weir.
  69. AdamA
    Nov 22, 2008
    If only every movie could be this brilliant. It transcends entertainment and becomes poetry. The scene where his boat punches a hole in the sky has to be the most powerful image I have ever seen.
  70. Aug 24, 2014
    Jim Carrey may have more notoriety for his zany humor-driven titles like Ace Ventura or The Cable Guy, but they're all second to the authentic performance delivered in The Truman Show - a movie that in some ways reinvented reality TV and inspired other films to be made (ED TV). The cast is excellent and the movie has a charm about it that is undeniable. If you haven't seen this movieJim Carrey may have more notoriety for his zany humor-driven titles like Ace Ventura or The Cable Guy, but they're all second to the authentic performance delivered in The Truman Show - a movie that in some ways reinvented reality TV and inspired other films to be made (ED TV). The cast is excellent and the movie has a charm about it that is undeniable. If you haven't seen this movie yet, add it to your list because it's one of the greatest films of the 90s. Some may say of all time. Expand
  71. Sep 1, 2014
    The Truman Show is an undeniably great movie. However, I feel the TV show aspect should have been kept a little more secret and only revealed at the end. It would have made a great mystery or rug pull movie. But The Truman Show we have is excellent anyway.
  72. Jan 26, 2011
    This is my absolute favorite movie ever. Jim Carrey is brilliant in a role that isn't slapstick comedy--I much prefer him here. The movie is well crafted all-around, from the casting to the soundtrack. The story is compelling and unique, drawing you into the artificial world Truman lives him. Follow him in his journey towards knowledge of the truth!
  73. May 24, 2013
    Taking reality TV taken to its ultimate extreme everything Truman Burbank has done since birth has been seen live by a worldwide audience of millions. Unfortunately for Truman he is unaware of this as he lives inside a giant Hollywood dome containing a made for TV town. Everyone in his life, his friends, his neighbours, even his wife are all actors hired by the shows creator.

Jim Carrey

Jim Carrey is unusually reserved, but brilliant in the title role importantly making Truman likable so that we really begin to feel for him as the movie reaches its climax. Part satire, part comedy and part drama The Truman Show is one of those rare movies that takes an original, intelligent and interesting concept and truly makes the most out of it. It is rare for a film to entertain whilst also making you think but this is one movie that certainly manages it.
  74. Sep 5, 2011
    This is a movie about ideas. The drama is well crafted and the movies prediction to the ethics of modern media and reality TV is brilliant. There is much to think about with the themes and analogies this movie presents. The Truman Show is one of my favourites. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
  75. Oct 22, 2011
    The figurine was simply perfect. The script, I should say that if you don't count the cliche's, so is too. The acting was amazing, but the scenario could have been better. The soundtrack would have been better if it wasn't for one single song that was bad. The skin of the film was bad. Like, really, really bad. The choice for the actors was great, if you don't count that they chose thatThe figurine was simply perfect. The script, I should say that if you don't count the cliche's, so is too. The acting was amazing, but the scenario could have been better. The soundtrack would have been better if it wasn't for one single song that was bad. The skin of the film was bad. Like, really, really bad. The choice for the actors was great, if you don't count that they chose that actress to do Sylvia. She isn't beautiful enough to do a woman who makes a men fall in love with her at the first sight. But she was a great actress. The special effects (that were supposed to be bad) were really perfect, as was the make-up and the hair. And finally, the photography of this film was absolutely perfect. Expand
  76. Jul 23, 2013
    Just absolutely love the movie. It is a weird one that really makes you think, but as Truman begins to get wise to everything, it is hard not to root for him. The drecting was great, Jim Carrey was funny and great, and all of the supporting actors did well. The movie is certainly funny, but is more than just a comedy.
  77. Mar 29, 2013
    One of the rare occasions when Jim Carrey is actually good as an actor, and the supporting cast fit in their roles really well too. The director and writer made a movie that has the right amount of comedy, drama and social-criticism. Recommended if You are interested in an entertaining and rather original movie.
  78. Oct 15, 2013
    The story is about a man whose life is a TV show, everyone knows that, except himself. Later he realizes it and struggles to end this show. The main topic is a problem of choice: to live your life as it is even if you are not satisfied with it or risk everything to change things around. Good and original plot and great actors. A must see.
  79. May 2, 2013
    This gripping film is not what it looks like, when you see Jim Carrey on the cover. This very emotional and profound comedy drama with this light provoking note between the lines is featuring Carrey's performance of a lifetime, a evil and mean Ed Harris and a memorable climax. Big cinema!!!
  80. Jan 6, 2014
    Magnífica atuação de Jim Carrye, em um fantástico filme com uma ótima história
  81. Jan 20, 2013
    "The Truman Show" can truly be considered a cult classic. This is one of the best Jim Carrey movies to date, and even a fantastic movie period. Nothing short of a masterpiece.
  82. Oct 21, 2014
    An original, thought provoking, and deeply affecting movie; The Truman Show is not only funny, and emotionally draining; It correctly predicts a world gone crazy over reality television. It's very smart, directed with unique style, and contains what is one of Carrey's best performances. This movie also has the power to make you paranoid; even more so than The Matrix. You'll feel greatAn original, thought provoking, and deeply affecting movie; The Truman Show is not only funny, and emotionally draining; It correctly predicts a world gone crazy over reality television. It's very smart, directed with unique style, and contains what is one of Carrey's best performances. This movie also has the power to make you paranoid; even more so than The Matrix. You'll feel great empathy for Truman throughout the whole movie. He's a great character. It's a great movie. It's a classic. Expand
  83. Aug 26, 2013
    Wonderful movie with a though. A though of many people lives. Good storyline, music, idea, actors performance and whole movie is amazing. One of those movies where you speak about it when it ends.
  84. Jun 5, 2013
    I know that people say that this movie is one of the best movies ever made. I'm not trying to rant on this movie or anything, but in my opinion, it's not really the best movie ever made. It's a great one don't get me wrong, but it's not the best movie in the world. The storyline is very original indeed. The characters seem to really work together and Jim Carrey nails it as Truman Burbank.I know that people say that this movie is one of the best movies ever made. I'm not trying to rant on this movie or anything, but in my opinion, it's not really the best movie ever made. It's a great one don't get me wrong, but it's not the best movie in the world. The storyline is very original indeed. The characters seem to really work together and Jim Carrey nails it as Truman Burbank. Sometimes it has its slow parts, but no matter what it's still very interesting to watch. The combination of the comedy and drama worked really well. Not only that, but I actually liked the score in this movie. I thought the music was original and well thought out. Overall, it may not be the best movie in the world, but it's sure a great masterpiece. Expand
  85. Jun 15, 2013
    One of my favorite movies of all time! Love it, can watch it over and over again.
  86. Jul 26, 2014
    A smart, sweet and vivacious masterpiece. Peter Weir and his great work in this film is simply moving. The acting of Jim Carrey is, probably, his best work in all his career. The amazing, funny and inventive screenplay written by Andrew Niccol. All they make this film live and surprise us, and somehow, made ??him a wonderful film about life, love and the exploitation of television today,A smart, sweet and vivacious masterpiece. Peter Weir and his great work in this film is simply moving. The acting of Jim Carrey is, probably, his best work in all his career. The amazing, funny and inventive screenplay written by Andrew Niccol. All they make this film live and surprise us, and somehow, made ??him a wonderful film about life, love and the exploitation of television today, an intense drama about the world we are living. The modern life we are living. The life we are living: this is the phrasal who identifies this great movie. The Truman Show is The Life Show! Expand
  87. Oct 13, 2014
    "The Truman Show" dares to question the reality. It's original, complex, and philosophical. It manages to make you feel truly frustrated and claustrophobic.

Perhaps many of us can relate to Truman as we live in a time of routines. We often live our lives without giving a second thought to the simplicity and meaninglessness of life itself. Our limited perspectives keep us from seeing. The lies we are told keep us from the truth. If we could push the boundaries of our reality, what are the odds that we'd face what Truman faced in the end?

It was a joy to watch "Jim Carrey" as "Truman", it is yet another proof that Jim isn't just a comedian.
  88. Nov 25, 2014
    The Truman Show is amazing. If I could give it a 9.5 rating, I would. This movie is one of the best movies ever made and one of the best of Jim Carrey's. It had amazing acting, a great story that was original and amazing music (Especially the ending song).

The Truman Show is also really funny while really emotional, it is really sad at moments which is a good thing since that is what this movie was trying to do and they did it incredibly well. Truman is a very likeable character that has the appropriate reaction to finding out that his whole life is fake, which makes him relatable.

While The Truman Show is one of the best movies, it could have used more scenes where Jim Carrey expressed his feelings more and it felt a bit slow but even with those flaws, The Truman Show is a must-watch for everyone
  89. May 8, 2015
    Proving that a blockbuster doesn't have to be big, brash, vacuous and wedged with a ton of eye-stinging special effects, The Truman Show is practically an anti-Event Movie. Instead of taking a low-brow/high-thrill approach to its ingenious idea, Peter Weir has given us a thoughtful, intelligent, wholly character-driven masterpiece. Nor is it just a great movie in its own right; it's aProving that a blockbuster doesn't have to be big, brash, vacuous and wedged with a ton of eye-stinging special effects, The Truman Show is practically an anti-Event Movie. Instead of taking a low-brow/high-thrill approach to its ingenious idea, Peter Weir has given us a thoughtful, intelligent, wholly character-driven masterpiece. Nor is it just a great movie in its own right; it's a great mainstream movie. Watch it by yourself, take your girlfriend/ boyfriend or go with a bunch of friends, you'll enjoy it just the same. Like Titanic, The Truman Show is a rare multiplex crowd-pleaser that doesn't begin to insult your intelligence and, because of this, it more than makes up for big disappointments Godzilla, Lost In Space and Armageddon.

Of course, the less you know about the plot the better, as this is an extraordinary experience from start to finish. It's the sort of movie that you wish Hollywood made more often: the perfect combination of a witty script (mercifully unhacked by gag-adding writers-for-hire), a refreshingly short running-time and a small principal cast so perfectly suited to their on-screen roles they might have been born to play them. Harris brings a controlled God- complex to the role of The Truman Show's creator/producer/director Christof and Linney excels as Truman's slogan-spouting wife. McElhone, meanwhile, has the difficult task of playing the plot-advancing, rebellious love interest who tries to convince Truman that it's all a lie. Yet, although their performances are faultless, these actors are constantly being eclipsed by the two real stars.

The first is the bizarre premise. Truman Burbank (Carrey) has grown-up in the artificial town of Seahaven, a prefab suburban nirvana jammed in a happy timewarp sometime between the '50s and the '90s. Five thousand mini-cameras (hidden in plants, car radios, shirt buttons and the like) survey this mammoth television sound stage, following every aspect of Truman's existence and broadcasting it 24 hours every day to an eager world. Actors play his friends and relatives, while Christof (who gets to utter such lines as "Cue the sun"), manipulates this goldfish bowl-style micro-reality from an office concealed behind the Moon. It's only after a series of on-set accidents (a spotlight falls out of the sky and Truman tunes into a radio frequency instructing the show's actors), that our hero starts to question the world around him.

Naturally, the impact of this concept would be lessened without a believable central character, and Carrey turns in the performance of his life. Forget his rubber-faced zaniness in comedies like Ace Ventura and Liar Liar. It doesn't matter if you've never liked him before. Yes, there are still traces of the OTT comedian in the character of Truman, but Carrey approaches his role with gentle, honest kindness, creating a real human being with real emotions, who's about to discover his life has been a carefully-orchestrated lie. It's a powerful, masterfully understated and moving performance, veering perfectly between moments of humour and heart-tugging seriousness. Carrey deserves full credit for his part in making The Truman Show the huge success it so evidently is.

Clever, funny, enjoyable, this is not just the best mainstream comedy of the year, it might rank as the best of the last five years. With a multitude of subtexts, social comment and satirical sideswipes, it's a beautifully-crafted, emotional piece with an original heart and an irresistible storyline. It's so good you don't want it to end. Films this great don't come along often. Queue to see what is surely one of the defining movies of the '90s.

Jim Carrey proves he has more than one acting dimension in this original, clever tale of junk-culture excess. The Truman Show makes every other block-buster look empty and stale. Hollywood take note: intelligent film-making can work. More please...

1. Reviewed by: Tom Keogh
    Achieves a kind of beauty through its overlaying enigmas, and Carrey.
    A cool indictment of television's near-irresistible pandering to the inner peeping tom.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Horton