7.6

1. Dec 21, 2014
    A very interesting teenage/pseudo coming of age drama, The Virgin Suicides has its strengths and weaknesses. First off, the acting is great from all the kids and adults, though I do not know if I am buying Kirsten Dunst as a 14 year old here. Just saying. Great acting and fit the beauty required for the role, but having been 14, I can confirm no 14 year old looked like that when I was 14.A very interesting teenage/pseudo coming of age drama, The Virgin Suicides has its strengths and weaknesses. First off, the acting is great from all the kids and adults, though I do not know if I am buying Kirsten Dunst as a 14 year old here. Just saying. Great acting and fit the beauty required for the role, but having been 14, I can confirm no 14 year old looked like that when I was 14. Anyways, the film is gently directed by Sofia Coppola and she handles the sensitive subject matter very well. The story is very interesting and very well told. I like the handling of the narration, as well. Narration can sometimes feel unnatural, but it felt like that was the only way to tell this story and it never really messed with the flow of the film. In fact, it really helped the flow of it. Ultimately, the film has a very distant and melancholy feel to it, which really helps drive home the story and really makes it hit you. However, that same distance can prevent you from getting into the film. You feel as if you are arm's length away from the film and prevented from getting any closer. In the context of the film, this can be effective, but in terms of pure enjoyment, this film would benefit from a feeling of intimacy that would really pull the viewer in. Regardless, The Virgin Suicides is a good film that tells this depressing story and makes it feel almost dreamlike and beautiful in a really twisted way. Expand
  2. Nov 21, 2014
    "The Virgin Suicides" is a coming of age but grim tale of strict parents dealing with their daughters, and a bunch of boys fall obsessed with them. The movie is twisted, but forgettable.
  3. Sep 3, 2014
    Distinctly Sofia Coppolian, The Virgin Suicides is bleak and tragic. Occasionally funny--the film is one that will stick with its viewers. You'll understand why.
  4. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. A tale of lost innocence-for the boys. I didn't find out enough about the girls to really understand how difficult it can be growing up. I did get insight about Lux and a little about Cecelia? the youngest. But the rest of the girls and mother remain a mystery. I saw a little about the goofy dad. It works as a metaphor but not as a story. No one was concerned about the girls, no officials; why weren't the police out searching for Lux after she did not return home, all night? Those parents would not have gone to bed until all their little girls were in; mom was an insomniac. So some flaws that I overlooked because this film is not about the plot or story itself, but in the telling. As usual I'm sure the book is better. Still I was drawn to it. It could've been an "A" film but I give it a B, maybe a B+; almost there, but a few too many flaws. Collapse
  5. Jan 27, 2012
    In Sophia Coppola's directorial debut we are witness to a series of tragic events that take place in a quiet suburban neighborhood in the 1970s. Based on the spectacular book by Jeffrey Eugenides, and featuring the music of Air, this movie is perfection. It is a hauntingly beautiful depiction of young love and the pains of shattered expectations.
  6. Jul 4, 2011
    the movie is supposed to make you feel unsatisfied and empty.
    viewers end up feeling exactly like the neighbourhood boys, and like the girls
    its genius and haunting..
  7. Mar 13, 2011

Not sure what I expected going into this movie. The nexflix description made it seem like a group of guys obsessing over these girls who then committed suicide. Pretty straightforward right? Wrong..well sort of. This movie tells the story of five sisters who ultimately commit suicide. But the movie never really comes out and says why and the boys obsessing part, while it is a big part, isn't as direct in their suicides as was implied. Don't get me wrong, the story was great as was this movie. The art direction they took with it was pretty spectacular and unique. It is told from the group of guys but in their adult years looking back on the events as if they were at a High School reunion but also there are scenes where it looks like the girls are really happy and all is well and then something terrible comes along. It all ties in together with the atmosphere of the movie and is very compelling.

So if you want sort of an indie weird flick, I'd go with this one. It's classified as romance I think on netflix but it is far from it in my opinion and instead focuses on the teenage drama of five girls as they cope with whatever unknown problems they have.

1. Reviewed by: Sarah Raskin
    One major inappropriate casting decision (Kirsten Dunst, who's made a solid leap to young adulthood in "Dick" and "Drop Dead Gorgeous" is cast as 14-year-old Lux?) and an underdeveloped motive for the girls' self-demise left me unaffected.
  2. An artful blend of '70s detail and dreamlike moodiness makes Coppola's first movie an exceptionally promising directorial debut.
  3. While not exactly a cop-out, Virgin may leave some viewers who crave traditional closure with the same hollow ache described by the narrator as follows: "What lingered after them was not life but the most trivial list of mundane facts."