6.0

1. Jun 27, 2012
    I realize that this was based on a true story, but that still does not excuse what can only be described as some of the worst romantic writing this century. There is some merit to staying true to the actual story and I understand the desire to respect events and pay homage to the strength of character that the true people on which this film is based upon possess, but at the end of the day this is still a motion picture created for the purpose of entertainment and on that basis it fails miserably. The only date I would bring to this film would be one that I wanted to end things with, it's just that bad. There are more gaps in the story then in the female character's memory and it's more of a dual biography than an emotional tale that inspires some semblance of feeling.

The real life situation of the actual people that inspired this movie is heart warming and sincere. This film however, is not and a monumental waste of everyone's time. I give everything about the production a 9, except for the script which was beyond terrible so I feel that giving it a -8 is generous, leaving the final score a 1.
  2. Apr 10, 2012
    This movie has a good story line, but the way it was told and portrayed in the movie was really bad. It didn't attract me even one bit and I literally had to force myself to finish the movie & get touched by it. The acting & script was a little bad too. I admire Channing Tatum & Rachel Mcadams(especially) but their performances here were weak! It was not believable enough. This movie could have been a combination of happy, sad, tragic, & funny but unfortunately, the movie didn't quite sum up to all that. I must say, a very boring movie. But I like how it is based on a true story, which is why it should be told classically. Expand
  3. Jun 13, 2012
    Really?? There was no need to undress Channing Tatum every scene. It is impossible for this fact-based, with a movie so unreal. There was no chemistry between the lead actors.
  4. Sep 22, 2012
    Saccharine dross with an unbelievable fantasy plotline. The wooden acting of Tatum Channing with his relentless monotone and his inability to convey any convincing emotion makes one anxious for the end credits. The pain is certainly dulled and brought into sharp contrast by the competent performance by Rachel Mcadams - who seemed to be ill at ease with the occasionally awkward dialogue.
  5. Jun 24, 2012
    Unfortunately Tatum, albeit attractive to many, is no talented actor and does not have the depth required to make this film memorable. Even worse, McAdams is not a particularly convincing actress either and unfortunately turns an interesting real life story into a wish-I-had-watched-"Notebook"-again-instead.
  6. Mar 24, 2012
    Obviously, as a normal guy, this movie really sucked. The whole concept was corny from the get go and I pretty much knew going in that, but still, it didn't turn out so good. Went to this movie on a date and she liked it so I guess that's all that matters. I wouldn't recommend this movie unless your girlfriend really wants to see it with you.
  7. Feb 26, 2012
    I really thought this movie was just a same old romance movie. It really did not make since whatsoever, and it makes me really confused with "Dear John", which was just as bad.
  8. Jun 4, 2012
    A movie made for people who don't really understand relationships. It's essentially a fantasy for those women who never got past the "ME" stage.

Tatum's Leo is basically written as the most perfect husband in the world, who bends so far over backwards to help his wife that he could get a new job as a contortionist. Problem is McAdam's Paige is about as likeable as a rock. Less so,
    actually because a rock wouldn't spend 2 hours treating someone like crap. Paige never does anything unselfish in the entire movie. The movie felt like the middle act of your average RomCom where one party is just missing everything and needs to shape up before they lose what they have. My wife and I kept waiting for the turn around. Kept waiting for Paige to do something to make it seem like she actually appreciates everything Leo is doing, and try to reconnect the love she once felt. It never happens. At one point she tells him "I'm tired of disappointing you," but it's woefully out of place because she's never even attempted to do otherwise. If she had seemed to make a single effort on Leo's behalf, it might have worked. But she doesn't. In fact, every time you think she's about to, she does something to make matters worse instead.

Judging the movie by Paige's actions and the plot points, it seems like the it should really be about how she reconnects with her family who she hadn't spoken to for years before the accident. This might have worked if the majority of the movie isn't focused on Leo and if her parents hadn't been written as comically bad RomCom villains. The movie is a mess. Premise is great, but so sloppily written it's embarrassing. If it had just been about Leo and Paige, and how they rediscovered their love. Fine. If it had just been about Paige reconnecting with her family, thanks to the accident (silver lining and all that). Fine. Trying and failing to do both. No.
  9. Mar 8, 2013
    The film has a good photography, but for the rest a bad acting and an inconsistent plot. The Vow is a based on a true story, of course, but a boring and corny movie.
  10. Feb 11, 2012
    Disappointing. Definitely not of the Notebook caliber. The chemistry between Channing and Rachel just wasn't there. A step above a Lifetime movie at best.
  11. Jul 28, 2012
    The Vow is basically hokey date-night romance incarnate. It's fluff. It isn't really good for you, you know it, but you have no regret having ingested it. Like cotton candy. It's odd that in a genre that requires depth and honesty to earn its audience, these kind of romances almost always come off as manufactured. Interestingly enough, it is Tatum here who gives the better performance. In fact, he's really improved in recent. It's McAdams who comes off as too cheery and slight for having her whole world tripped up. And happily, there are some laughably bad moments to enjoy for all the fuzz. It's all fairly harmless escapism, but don't get sucked up in the film's idea of romance. In other words, don't just eat cotton candy. In fact, stay away from it. It isn't good for you. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Feb 16, 2012
    The good news is, The Vow is not excruciating.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Feb 15, 2012
    Perhaps Sucsy was overwhelmed by his immersion in such colorful and outré material; he's chosen for his followup, the I Can't Believe It's Not Nicholas Sparks weepie The Vow, the cinematic equivalent of a lie-down.
  3. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Feb 15, 2012
    The Vow is not exactly a woman's picture. It's more about how a man falls in love, loses his love and gives up everything in life to focus on regaining his love. Maybe it's a woman's picture from a male point of view. However you slice it, it's a welcome loaf-far from perfect, but as filling as a home-cooked meal.