6.0

1. Jun 19, 2014
    The Vow is a enjoyable half hearted story that take full advantage of the cast, while providing us with a standard Romance movie. Channing Tatum is the driving force in this movie, the surprising good plot twist will leave you intrigued enough to conquer the movie. All in all i would recommended a try.
  2. Apr 28, 2013
    I thought it was a good movie, and think it`s pretty crazy that this actually happened. I don`t think it`s like every other movie like some people have said, but I have not watched much Romance movies lately. I thought the chemistry between the two was really good.
  3. Mar 8, 2013
    The film has a good photography, but for the rest a bad acting and an inconsistent plot. The Vow is a based on a true story, of course, but a boring and corny movie.
  4. Feb 22, 2013
    With worldwide box office takings of $196M (IMDB), it's safe to say that plenty of people chose to see The Vow. Romance films sell, and let's face it, women love Channing Tattum. I can't say that I have seen many true 'roms', most romantic films I watch have the obligatory 'com' attached. The Vow's script has some light-hearted moments, however it definitely can't be classed as aWith worldwide box office takings of $196M (IMDB), it's safe to say that plenty of people chose to see The Vow. Romance films sell, and let's face it, women love Channing Tattum. I can't say that I have seen many true 'roms', most romantic films I watch have the obligatory 'com' attached. The Vow's script has some light-hearted moments, however it definitely can't be classed as a 'rom-com'.

McAdams brings her typical sweetness to the role and Tattum does his best, which might not uproot any trees in the acting world, but through his limited abilities, does bring a certain realness to his character.

The plot is inevitably quite predictable, however, the writers deserve credit for not following the stereotypical plot sequence all the way through to the end. When my missus exclaims in horror that "that's not how it's supposed to end!", you know the film has achieved something at least.
  5. Jan 21, 2013
    Most underrated romance movie. Great story, great acting, great realism. At the end, it leaves you feeling satisfied. Radiohead reference also made it gain some points. Great movie.
  6. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was essentially like a mediocre version of a Nicholas Sparks movie. The acting was great but the execution just wasn't there. Rachel McAdams' character seemed pretty stupid and, given that it's a true story, it just makes it seem even more dumb. There have got to be 1000 such stories with "smarter" people involved or better endings. The fact that this movie was based on one with a moronic character and a mediocre ending shows just how masochist viewers are. The movie is slow, not emotional enough given the subject matter, and just in general not all that good. The only emotional part of the movie was the scene with Paige interacting with her mom near the end of the movie. The movie wasn't terrible but it definitely doesn't reach the elite chick-flick level. Expand
  7. Sep 22, 2012
    Saccharine dross with an unbelievable fantasy plotline. The wooden acting of Tatum Channing with his relentless monotone and his inability to convey any convincing emotion makes one anxious for the end credits. The pain is certainly dulled and brought into sharp contrast by the competent performance by Rachel Mcadams - who seemed to be ill at ease with the occasionally awkward dialogue.
  8. Jul 28, 2012
    The Vow is basically hokey date-night romance incarnate. It's fluff. It isn't really good for you, you know it, but you have no regret having ingested it. Like cotton candy. It's odd that in a genre that requires depth and honesty to earn its audience, these kind of romances almost always come off as manufactured. Interestingly enough, it is Tatum here who gives the better performance. InThe Vow is basically hokey date-night romance incarnate. It's fluff. It isn't really good for you, you know it, but you have no regret having ingested it. Like cotton candy. It's odd that in a genre that requires depth and honesty to earn its audience, these kind of romances almost always come off as manufactured. Interestingly enough, it is Tatum here who gives the better performance. In fact, he's really improved in recent. It's McAdams who comes off as too cheery and slight for having her whole world tripped up. And happily, there are some laughably bad moments to enjoy for all the fuzz. It's all fairly harmless escapism, but don't get sucked up in the film's idea of romance. In other words, don't just eat cotton candy. In fact, stay away from it. It isn't good for you. Expand
  9. Jun 27, 2012
    I realize that this was based on a true story, but that still does not excuse what can only be described as some of the worst romantic writing this century. There is some merit to staying true to the actual story and I understand the desire to respect events and pay homage to the strength of character that the true people on which this film is based upon possess, but at the end of the dayI realize that this was based on a true story, but that still does not excuse what can only be described as some of the worst romantic writing this century. There is some merit to staying true to the actual story and I understand the desire to respect events and pay homage to the strength of character that the true people on which this film is based upon possess, but at the end of the day this is still a motion picture created for the purpose of entertainment and on that basis it fails miserably. The only date I would bring to this film would be one that I wanted to end things with, it's just that bad. There are more gaps in the story then in the female character's memory and it's more of a dual biography than an emotional tale that inspires some semblance of feeling.

The real life situation of the actual people that inspired this movie is heart warming and sincere. This film however, is not and a monumental waste of everyone's time. I give everything about the production a 9, except for the script which was beyond terrible so I feel that giving it a -8 is generous, leaving the final score a 1.
  10. Jun 24, 2012
    Unfortunately Tatum, albeit attractive to many, is no talented actor and does not have the depth required to make this film memorable. Even worse, McAdams is not a particularly convincing actress either and unfortunately turns an interesting real life story into a wish-I-had-watched-"Notebook"-again-instead.
  11. Jun 13, 2012
    Really?? There was no need to undress Channing Tatum every scene. It is impossible for this fact-based, with a movie so unreal. There was no chemistry between the lead actors.
  12. Jun 4, 2012
    A movie made for people who don't really understand relationships. It's essentially a fantasy for those women who never got past the "ME" stage.

Tatum's Leo is basically written as the most perfect husband in the world, who bends so far over backwards to help his wife that he could get a new job as a contortionist. Problem is McAdam's Paige is about as likeable as a rock. Less so, actually because a rock wouldn't spend 2 hours treating someone like crap. Paige never does anything unselfish in the entire movie. The movie felt like the middle act of your average RomCom where one party is just missing everything and needs to shape up before they lose what they have. My wife and I kept waiting for the turn around. Kept waiting for Paige to do something to make it seem like she actually appreciates everything Leo is doing, and try to reconnect the love she once felt. It never happens. At one point she tells him "I'm tired of disappointing you," but it's woefully out of place because she's never even attempted to do otherwise. If she had seemed to make a single effort on Leo's behalf, it might have worked. But she doesn't. In fact, every time you think she's about to, she does something to make matters worse instead.

Judging the movie by Paige's actions and the plot points, it seems like the it should really be about how she reconnects with her family who she hadn't spoken to for years before the accident. This might have worked if the majority of the movie isn't focused on Leo and if her parents hadn't been written as comically bad RomCom villains. The movie is a mess. Premise is great, but so sloppily written it's embarrassing. If it had just been about Leo and Paige, and how they rediscovered their love. Fine. If it had just been about Paige reconnecting with her family, thanks to the accident (silver lining and all that). Fine. Trying and failing to do both. No.
  13. May 14, 2012
    This isn't really a chick flick at all because it's mostly from the guys perspective. When you watch this movie just put yourself in Channing Tatum's shoes and think of how frustrating that situation must have been. I know that the "true" story was exaggerated a ton but hey, that's hollywood. Not at all what I expected, a very pleasant surprise, and I'm a guy.
  14. May 12, 2012
    Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum have great chemistry and give gripping performances. Yet the humor is hit and miss, it takes itself too seriously at times. But I really enjoyed it even though I shouldn't have. I give this movie 60%.
  15. May 4, 2012
    With so many romantic movies being produced, itâ
  16. Apr 10, 2012
    This movie has a good story line, but the way it was told and portrayed in the movie was really bad. It didn't attract me even one bit and I literally had to force myself to finish the movie & get touched by it. The acting & script was a little bad too. I admire Channing Tatum & Rachel Mcadams(especially) but their performances here were weak! It was not believable enough. This movie couldThis movie has a good story line, but the way it was told and portrayed in the movie was really bad. It didn't attract me even one bit and I literally had to force myself to finish the movie & get touched by it. The acting & script was a little bad too. I admire Channing Tatum & Rachel Mcadams(especially) but their performances here were weak! It was not believable enough. This movie could have been a combination of happy, sad, tragic, & funny but unfortunately, the movie didn't quite sum up to all that. I must say, a very boring movie. But I like how it is based on a true story, which is why it should be told classically. Expand
  17. Mar 24, 2012
    Obviously, as a normal guy, this movie really sucked. The whole concept was corny from the get go and I pretty much knew going in that, but still, it didn't turn out so good. Went to this movie on a date and she liked it so I guess that's all that matters. I wouldn't recommend this movie unless your girlfriend really wants to see it with you.
  18. Mar 21, 2012
    Angels: I did not see the Notebook, but I have seen lots of romantic comedies ('cos of my sweetheart) and this is a good one. It has the feel of a documentary: no silly plot devices, no wild plot twists, no unbelievably strange or hateful characters. Even Paige's (Rachel McAdams) father turns out not to be the skunk that I kind of expected him to be. This was a well-made, simply toldAngels: I did not see the Notebook, but I have seen lots of romantic comedies ('cos of my sweetheart) and this is a good one. It has the feel of a documentary: no silly plot devices, no wild plot twists, no unbelievably strange or hateful characters. Even Paige's (Rachel McAdams) father turns out not to be the skunk that I kind of expected him to be. This was a well-made, simply told movie. Channing Tatum impressed me. I have seen him as a dancer, as a roman legionnaire, and now as a romantic lead, and Angels, that boy does it all! And I'm telling you, if I could wear a hat like he does - in the movie- and smile mischievously-like he does in the movie-my sweetheart would never leave me. He is a boy, and I like girls, but he is tasty! And Rachel is very sweet. Angels, they both act beautifully. Honestly, their body language and facial expressions were spot on. They were not acting; this is what was actually happening to them. My honey and I had a good time! So why only an 8? Well, the main weakness I think is that the plot did not match the title. My honey made this point, I disagreed with her, but, on reflection, she is right. The film is called 'The VOW'. A VOW is a declaration of super commitment-'To make this happen, I will move heaven and earth, and I will never give up.' But Angels he didn't move heaven and earth. He gave up. Look, he acted perfectly reasonably. He was up against a lot of difficulties. Realistically, things looked hopeless. But he had made a VOW, and he did not keep it....
    Love you, Angels
  19. Mar 4, 2012
    The Vow had a good plot going, but the middle was horrible. The ending sucked. They just left you hanging. I wish it was directed differently. The previews looked better than the actual movie. I would only pay to see this movie if there is absolutely nothing else that interests you to see.
  20. Feb 27, 2012
    Ok, I went with a group of mostly women and the movie was good, not great, predictable, heart wrenching and worked your emotions, but lacking some punch. I liked that it didn't rely on bad language, drugs, drinking or sex to get you to see it. The acting was just good enough to make it convincing, but it wasn't a even a "two tissue" movie. The ending left you wanting more. Overall,Ok, I went with a group of mostly women and the movie was good, not great, predictable, heart wrenching and worked your emotions, but lacking some punch. I liked that it didn't rely on bad language, drugs, drinking or sex to get you to see it. The acting was just good enough to make it convincing, but it wasn't a even a "two tissue" movie. The ending left you wanting more. Overall, wait for the DVD and watch it with your girlfriend. Expand
  21. Feb 26, 2012
    I really thought this movie was just a same old romance movie. It really did not make since whatsoever, and it makes me really confused with "Dear John", which was just as bad.
  22. Feb 25, 2012
    I enjoyed this movie, however I am partial to both Channing Tatum and Rachael Mcadams, I adore both of them as actors. Not as great as all of the hype and expectations that I was holding it too, but I still think its a great rental. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people automatically link The Notebook to Rachael Mcadams, and in my opinion, no love story will ever come close to that movie,I enjoyed this movie, however I am partial to both Channing Tatum and Rachael Mcadams, I adore both of them as actors. Not as great as all of the hype and expectations that I was holding it too, but I still think its a great rental. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people automatically link The Notebook to Rachael Mcadams, and in my opinion, no love story will ever come close to that movie, so that could be held accountable for some of the disappoint for me personally. I still recommend, its definitely an easy, fun watch. Expand
  23. Feb 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Vow is a sweet film that reminds us of how one falls in love and how one actually can pursue and hold onto love when it appears lost forever. It was an inspirational film, touching and cute. However, it was lacking a strong core, a center to define pure love which is ever present in the real life couple's story that this movie was based on. We do catch a glimpse of this in another couple's relationship in the movie, which only has survived against all odds. However, the biggest upset of this film is that it doesn't even hold true to it's title. If it had, it would have been a breath of fresh air in comparison to all the typical Hollywood adaptations of juvenile fantasy that is sold under the name "romance"; those culminations of high school daydreams that are ever predictable and unrealistic. Don't get me wrong. The Vow was okay, but it could have been ten times better if Hollywood hadn't dumbed it down to make it 'Hollywood' correct. Sometimes the center of a story, however controversial it may be, just can't be replaced, especially by adequate actors and good cinematography. Expand
  24. Feb 22, 2012
    The whole movie was great all the way up to the end... It was so close to being a great film, then is just fell short. Was disappointing. Similar ending feeling to The Break Up.
  25. Feb 15, 2012
    totally loved it!
    was one of those movies that you know you are going to watch again!
    cant wait for it to be released on dvd!
    was one of the funnies and saddest love story's ever...
    i wish there was a part to because they left a few end open!
  26. Feb 15, 2012
    Tatum and McAdams are charming and fun to watch, but there's so little substance here, despite so much opportunity. There were probably 5 instances - potential plot twists - throughout the film in which I thought, "Yes, this is going to get good" - but the writers just smoothed them over. It needs more spice and excitement. Even for a Valentine's Day Rom-Com, its milquetoast.
  27. Feb 12, 2012
    I was obviously dragged into this movie because of my girlfriends choice, and i didn't care to see this film at all. I knew and everybody else knows what your getting into when you see this movie. The thing is, i actually enjoyed it. It was cheesy, it was sappy, but it was enjoyable. I know im sounding cheesy myself when i say this but it really made my heart hurt when i saw each otherI was obviously dragged into this movie because of my girlfriends choice, and i didn't care to see this film at all. I knew and everybody else knows what your getting into when you see this movie. The thing is, i actually enjoyed it. It was cheesy, it was sappy, but it was enjoyable. I know im sounding cheesy myself when i say this but it really made my heart hurt when i saw each other their strrugles through the tragedy and the pain of the loss of her memory, and of course, the ending is predictable yet not exactly the way you think it would end. You might love this movie, or you might hate it. Its hard to tell, but i know that i enjoyed myself and im a 19 year old guy. 6.5/10 Expand
  28. Feb 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this film! I cried the whole way through it. The acting is beautiful and I think the actors used were phenomenal. The film does a great job of making you fall in love with the main character (Leo), so that you can almost feel his love for Paige. I love everything about this movie and I can't wait to buy it on DVD. Expand
  29. Feb 12, 2012
    This was a wonderful and inspiring movie of man's perseverance in fighting for what makes life worth living. Slightly predictable, just like most love stories, but overall a great performance by two wonderful actors. This is what it's all about.
  30. Feb 11, 2012
    Disappointing. Definitely not of the Notebook caliber. The chemistry between Channing and Rachel just wasn't there. A step above a Lifetime movie at best.
  31. Feb 11, 2012
    I honestly expected more out of this movie. It was good, but not great as I expected it to be. Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams both played their parts beautifully, but I kept feeling as though something else would happen along the storyline, but not much did. It was a story of a newly married couple that get into a car crash, and Paige (McAdams) loses her memory of the last 5 years ofI honestly expected more out of this movie. It was good, but not great as I expected it to be. Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams both played their parts beautifully, but I kept feeling as though something else would happen along the storyline, but not much did. It was a story of a newly married couple that get into a car crash, and Paige (McAdams) loses her memory of the last 5 years of her life, which was the whole amount of time she'd known her husband. Her husband being a stranger to her, the premise was that he had to make her fall in love with him all over again. Throughout the movie though, not much else happened. I also expected it to be sadder than it was. Expand
  32. Feb 10, 2012
    Love it, a beautiful story an great acting, Channing tatum has become a good actor. Rachael Mcadams is perfect for this movie. One of the best Valentine Day Movie. This movie made people the the movie theater laugh and cry. Guys take your women to see this movie. Channing Tatum's character (Leo) is trying too woo back the of his life after a car accident take took the memory of his newLove it, a beautiful story an great acting, Channing tatum has become a good actor. Rachael Mcadams is perfect for this movie. One of the best Valentine Day Movie. This movie made people the the movie theater laugh and cry. Guys take your women to see this movie. Channing Tatum's character (Leo) is trying too woo back the of his life after a car accident take took the memory of his new wife Rachel Mcadams (Paige). She lost the last five year of memory, before she met Leo and when she was egaged too another men, so she now don't know Leo. The movie is told from the perspection of Leo, who now have to deal with her estange family and ex boyfriend. Expand
  33. Feb 10, 2012
    It's a fun date movie, that's all. Sometimes it captures your emotions, sometimes it fails. Overall, it's a good sappy romantic movie for a cold night

1. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Feb 16, 2012
    The good news is, The Vow is not excruciating.
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Feb 15, 2012
    Perhaps Sucsy was overwhelmed by his immersion in such colorful and outré material; he's chosen for his followup, the I Can't Believe It's Not Nicholas Sparks weepie The Vow, the cinematic equivalent of a lie-down.
  3. Reviewed by: Rex Reed
    Feb 15, 2012
    The Vow is not exactly a woman's picture. It's more about how a man falls in love, loses his love and gives up everything in life to focus on regaining his love. Maybe it's a woman's picture from a male point of view. However you slice it, it's a welcome loaf-far from perfect, but as filling as a home-cooked meal.