4.2

1. May 14, 2015
    This film is perfect, from the performances to the writing to the action choreography. Mis-marketed as some kind of zany comedy, this movie is a nihilistic deconstruction of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, and frankly any movie about cops and crooks, heroes and villains, good guys and bad guys. It's bleak but not hopeless, and watching it requiresThis film is perfect, from the performances to the writing to the action choreography. Mis-marketed as some kind of zany comedy, this movie is a nihilistic deconstruction of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Pulp Fiction, The Usual Suspects, and frankly any movie about cops and crooks, heroes and villains, good guys and bad guys. It's bleak but not hopeless, and watching it requires intelligence and attention. Michael Bay Tansformers fans need not apply. Expand
  2. Jul 1, 2014
    The thinking man's Pulp Fiction. Yes, I liked it too, but this is way better. If you're looking for sympathetic characters, you'll hate this movie. Chris McQuarrie very deliberately cut a favorite dialogue from this movie because it evoked sympathy for one of the characters. ALL are flawed, such is life.

I've run into a couple people who tell me, "I just couldn't get past Ryan

I've run into a couple people who tell me, "I just couldn't get past Ryan Phillippe." He fits the role and works very well with it, whatever else he's done (I've seen nothing else he's been in so I don't have a bias.) Benicio is pretty great in this, Caan is wonderful.

Dialogue is grand. You get little scenes that by themselves are gems but put together in this movie sequence can have a gut-punching effect. The poetry of the entire film taken as a whole is so good, you'll want to replay it from the beginning once you see the end.

REWATCHABLE: yes

1. Edgy, hard-boiled crime drama that is very much in this Tarantino-esque tradition.
  2. A confused, empty, only occasionally funny mess of a movie.
    A movie that drags.