6.1

1. Jul 1, 2014
    The thinking man's Pulp Fiction. Yes, I liked it too, but this is way better. If you're looking for sympathetic characters, you'll hate this movie. Chris McQuarrie very deliberately cut a favorite dialogue from this movie because it evoked sympathy for one of the characters. ALL are flawed, such is life.

I've run into a couple people who tell me, "I just couldn't get past Ryan
    Phillippe." He fits the role and works very well with it, whatever else he's done (I've seen nothing else he's been in so I don't have a bias.) Benicio is pretty great in this, Caan is wonderful.

Dialogue is grand. You get little scenes that by themselves are gems but put together in this movie sequence can have a gut-punching effect. The poetry of the entire film taken as a whole is so good, you'll want to replay it from the beginning once you see the end.

REWATCHABLE: yes
  2. Apr 12, 2013
    It does seem a bit sloppy at times, The Way of the Gun is an entertaining thrill ride not to mention a perfect screen couple of Benicio del Toro and Ryan Phillippe.
  3. Dec 17, 2012
    This is very good film. The cast is awesome. The first scene hilarious, and plenty of other good ones. The middle does drag a bit, so, that keeps it down a notch. But Del Toro, Phillipe, and such, are all so good.

1. Edgy, hard-boiled crime drama that is very much in this Tarantino-esque tradition.
  2. A confused, empty, only occasionally funny mess of a movie.
    A movie that drags.