2.3

1. VinoA.
    Sep 1, 2006
    Worst movie I have ever seen, not called "Be Cool". A total disappointment. A sorry attempt at scary...more like hysterically bad. Cage did well with the script that he was given....no plot or character development.
  2. JohnA.
    Sep 1, 2006
    without doubt one of the worst films i've had the misfortune to sit through; it doesn't look good on paper and the reality is even worse. [***SPOILERS***] The most interesting thing about it is Nicolas Cage's 'interesting' hair styles. Contrived and awkward from the off, excluding the thoroughly unnecessary embellishments to Cage's character - oh how without doubt one of the worst films i've had the misfortune to sit through; it doesn't look good on paper and the reality is even worse. [***SPOILERS***] The most interesting thing about it is Nicolas Cage's 'interesting' hair styles. Contrived and awkward from the off, excluding the thoroughly unnecessary embellishments to Cage's character - oh how coincidental he has anaphalptic shock and they have lots of bees. . ., the film starts poorly and never recovers. The use of symbolism and imagery is atrocious with the director going to painful lenghts to signpost the, ratehr obvious, imagery of the film. Despite the interest in imagery the removal of all sexual tension is confusing and weakens the alleged motives behind Cage's actions, which are never fully explained. we get various shots of him walking around, doing things, going somewhere else in such a disjointed and episodic manner that it appears to have little or no connection to the plot. A couple of scenes were so shockingly bad - the bear suit and burnt doll that people in the audience laughed, before they began leaving in droves. Arguably the worst film you will see this year, and that is not judging harshly on the original, this fim tries to adapt the story and in doing so deserves to be at least congratulated for being awful entirely on its own terms. Expand
  3. TimH.
    Oct 17, 2009
    Oh... my... god... I'm still trying to catch my breath after the Leelee Sobieski fight scene, the nonsensical dialogue, and the ridiculous bee symbolism. Fuckin' funniest piece of trash I've ever beheld; this here flick is a veritable how-to of bad movie-making (or remaking, in this case). The hilarity comes to an irresistibly laugh-out-loud head when Cage is dragged Oh... my... god... I'm still trying to catch my breath after the Leelee Sobieski fight scene, the nonsensical dialogue, and the ridiculous bee symbolism. Fuckin' funniest piece of trash I've ever beheld; this here flick is a veritable how-to of bad movie-making (or remaking, in this case). The hilarity comes to an irresistibly laugh-out-loud head when Cage is dragged half-naked by feminists to his own personal burning man. Trust me, don't watch this one alone OR sober. Friends and booze are required to fully experience the grandeur. Expand
  4. yoyo
    Dec 7, 2007
    Wanted more laughs out of this craptastic movie then I got. Totally the worst remake in the history of remakes. Best and only good part was when he was in the bear costume and decked that woman. Who wants to see Nicholas Cage ride back and forth on an island on a lame ass bicycle for two hours, posing as an angry cop? Thankfully it was a library rental.
  5. AMovieCritic
    Aug 3, 2007
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Nicholas Cage has shown himself to be a good actor in the past but he has GOT to pick his movies better. Surprisingly, this isn't just something he jumped onto in order to make a quick buck, he was actually a producer for this film, and apparently was heavily involved in getting it made....wow. Just...horrible. A complete waste of time. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Nicholas Cage has shown himself to be a good actor in the past but he has GOT to pick his movies better. Surprisingly, this isn't just something he jumped onto in order to make a quick buck, he was actually a producer for this film, and apparently was heavily involved in getting it made....wow. Just...horrible. A complete waste of time. Not scary whatsoever. Expand
  6. Mar 28, 2011
    Hilarious. The dialogue was so goddamn bad that I laughed like a moron. Why can't Nicholas Cage make bad movies that are funny? As far as I'm concerned, this is easier to get through than Bangkok Dangerous. Or whatever the hell he does now.
  7. Nov 19, 2012
    I laughed out loud in theaters multiple times. This movie is full of those moments where the film making is so poor that it's easy to laugh. Nick Cage is awful in this role too, playing pretty much every other character he has played in his life. Serious guy, would be an in depth analysis of the bonehead that Cage is trying to portray. Oh, and he hits women. Multiple times...
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    Horribly written movie which builds to one of the worst climaxes I have ever seen in all my days of filmgoing.
  9. JoshW.
    Oct 3, 2006
    I gave it a 10 for picking a good movie to start with. But I had to minus 9 points for remaking that movie so poorly. I hate it when people remake a solid film an either a) can't improve upon it what so ever or b), screw it up totally.
  10. Rea
    Sep 1, 2006
    I couldn't believe Nick Cage or Ellen Burstyn would be caught dead in such a dog. Bad script, and even the normally good Cage's acting didn't connect with a shred of reality. Fellow movie goers hooted and jeered on their way out of the theatre.
  11. JoeB.
    Sep 2, 2006
    A phenomenal achievement in awfulness. It's actually hilariously awful. First off...Nicholas Cage must now have made it to the finals in the Over-Emoting Category in his acting class. Wearing new hair plugs and with a face that has been lifted so many times his pinned back ears seem to be straining to touch in the back he oozes not only a sick smarmiess but creates a "hero" character A phenomenal achievement in awfulness. It's actually hilariously awful. First off...Nicholas Cage must now have made it to the finals in the Over-Emoting Category in his acting class. Wearing new hair plugs and with a face that has been lifted so many times his pinned back ears seem to be straining to touch in the back he oozes not only a sick smarmiess but creates a "hero" character that you have no vested interest in. I've enjoyed LaBute's early films and a few of his plays...but it's a strange fascination he has. I'd give this film a 2 out of 10 solely based on Ellen Burstyn's performance.[***SPOILERS***] By the time she finally makes her appearance (bravely soldiering through her scenes with her wig line clearly visible on her forehead) it seems like all hope may be lost. She deserves an Oscar right here and now for saying her lines with a straight face and when she appears wearing a white mumu and blue, white, and gold face paint booming about The Wicker Man you know that working with Scorcese and Friedkin really prepped her for this role dang well. This movie is so wrong-headed and cuckoo that is has to be seen to be believed. Highlights include: Nicholas Cage running away from a swarm of bees and then falling down a hill. Nicholas Cage stealing a bicycle and looking like Ms. Gulch from The Wizard of Oz riding around on it. Nicholas Cage running around the island kicking down doors looking for the missing girl. Leelee Sobieski PLUMMETING from a once-promising acting career in a "brawl" with Cage. Ellen Burstyn dancing around in a said while mumu. Nicholas Cage screaming "Who burned it? Who burned it? Who burned it?Who burned it?Who burned it?Who burned it?" for no reason. Nicholas Cage in a bear costume (I'm not kidding) running through the woods, taking off the costume (but leaving the bear feet on) and then doing some karate moves to some villains. And you haven't lived until you have seen the final 15 minutes of the movie and its dreadful epilogue that looked like it was shot yesterday in your cousin's basement. Needless to say, if you can make it through this film without laughing out loud then you deserve a medal. There was actually a point in the movie where I stopped snickering to wonder if maybe this wasn't an elaborate send-up of "hysteria" films...only to be reminded when Cage would scream/shout/whisper his dialogue that he really was taking himself quite seriously. I think this one is destined to be a cult film all over again...just because it's so dreadful. Expand
  12. MarioB.
    Sep 1, 2006
    The original 1973 version was a suspenseful and chilling horror movie. This version was apparently made as a comedy. However, Nicholas Cage is miscast as the hapless cop unintentionally helping to bring in the harvest. Adam Sandler would've been better.
  13. AnneS.
    Sep 1, 2006
    The original was campy and has some appeal. This sexless "retelling" of a fertility festival is like a bad blind date with a girl that won't shut up.
  14. st
    Sep 2, 2006
    This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am a big Nicolas Cage fan and think he is one of the best actors today, but I am so confused as to why he would ever choose to do such a terrible film. Ellen Burstyn must have been absolutely desperate in agreeing to a part. It was litereally two hours of zero suspense, zero intrigue and the characters spent the entire film being so This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I am a big Nicolas Cage fan and think he is one of the best actors today, but I am so confused as to why he would ever choose to do such a terrible film. Ellen Burstyn must have been absolutely desperate in agreeing to a part. It was litereally two hours of zero suspense, zero intrigue and the characters spent the entire film being so dauntingly vague about the "missing girl" that it became frustrating to watch. How can crap like this ever be sold to an audience? Shame Shame Shame! Expand
  15. ND
    Apr 1, 2007
    Awful film - watch the original instead. Cage is a terrible actor imo! Boringgggggggggggg!!!
  16. MarianneS.
    Sep 1, 2006
    What a sad day for Nick Cage fans...Dude, what were you thinking when you read this script?! How did your cell phone suddenly get a signal? And the bear suit...I don''t think the writers were expecting laughs from the veiwers, but the theater I was in was in stitches. I look forward to World Trade Center for a real Nick Cage fix. This was truly a bad movie.
  17. DamonC
    Sep 2, 2006
    I simply love this film, because it is sooo hilarious. I spent the last half hour laughing out-loud, almost non-stop, till I was tearing! It's probably the funniest film I've seen all year. Oh ... you mean it's a horror movie?
  18. ColinR.
    Sep 2, 2006
    Starts off promising, but spirals into more of a comedy then a horror movie in the end. [***SPOILERS***] Cage says some lines that make you laugh when they aren't supposed to. An example "Killing me won't bring you anymore honey", also Cage is seen running around in a bear suit punching women in animal masks, all this made the movie seem very corny and everyone in the audience Starts off promising, but spirals into more of a comedy then a horror movie in the end. [***SPOILERS***] Cage says some lines that make you laugh when they aren't supposed to. An example "Killing me won't bring you anymore honey", also Cage is seen running around in a bear suit punching women in animal masks, all this made the movie seem very corny and everyone in the audience was laughing. Expand
  19. Bobbie
    Sep 26, 2006
    If this were on free TV I would change the channel as that is how awful it is. Avoid.
  20. DamianM
    Sep 6, 2006
    I'd rather be thrown into the burning Wicker Man than have to sit through this utter tripe again. Buy the original instead.
  21. SherrieD.
    Sep 1, 2006
    I love Nick Cage; I talked 2 other people into going to this joke; and I seriously mean I hope the whole thing was an expensive Hollywood joke. It wa the worst movie, worst plot, worst acting I am sure I have ever experienced. Nick, Babe; what the hell were you thinkin? Tell me this was all for fun!
  22. a1
    Sep 10, 2006
    Waste of time and not even worth Netflix ... I excepted more from the actors, however, I guess they prove that at a certain point actors have the ability to bring in money despite the lack of a plot or anything else even a
  23. JimG.
    Sep 2, 2006
    This movie goes down in flames. The central motivation for the main characters emotional instability was wiped from the remake and thus makes the floundering of Cage's Malus without reason.
  24. jOEp
    Sep 26, 2006
    Save your money, save your time, save everything and skip this hunk of shiate of a movie. Cage has another terrible role in a sleeper of a film. Cage plays a police officer investigating a girls dissapperence on an island with an island that has something similar to a cult. The ending is the worst part. HORRIBLE. The New York Post should be banned for giving movie reviews if they gave Save your money, save your time, save everything and skip this hunk of shiate of a movie. Cage has another terrible role in a sleeper of a film. Cage plays a police officer investigating a girls dissapperence on an island with an island that has something similar to a cult. The ending is the worst part. HORRIBLE. The New York Post should be banned for giving movie reviews if they gave this a 75. "A blood chilling suspsenser"? What movie was he watching? This was a blood warming snoozer! Expand
  25. RickJ.
    Sep 5, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] An utterly dreadful contemporary Hollywood defiling of a British classic. Gone is the compelling character of the devoutly Christian cop Sgt. Howie from the original. Gone is the ideal sacrifice who is a virgin, a man who represents the law and is King for Day, replaced with an aimless, pill popping dolt of a cop from California named Ed Malus, played by an overacting[***SPOILERS***] An utterly dreadful contemporary Hollywood defiling of a British classic. Gone is the compelling character of the devoutly Christian cop Sgt. Howie from the original. Gone is the ideal sacrifice who is a virgin, a man who represents the law and is King for Day, replaced with an aimless, pill popping dolt of a cop from California named Ed Malus, played by an overacting Nicolas Cage. Yes, the film is so bad it makes you laugh, but this is hardly a credit to the makers of the film. It's not categorized as a comedy and yet viewers are counting the ways it made them laugh. Some are arguing that it should be a comedy, and they've got a point. It just doesn't raise my opinion of the film. The sacrifice of Sgt. Howie at the end of the original is a chilling homage to Christian martyrs of the past, and the viewer doesn't doubt for a second that he is a martyr who dies for his religious beliefs. In the remake you can only laugh when Malus is told that he is dying a martyr's death. Martyr for what? Popping pills all day? Overall, a dreary moment in film history I regret having seen. Expand
  26. NeilS.
    Jan 29, 2007
    This IS the worst movie I have ever seen. The entire premise of the film ties your brain into knots with a plot twist (so to speak) and themes (so to speak) that would be better put to use...Now come to think of it, nothing could save this fiilm. The Wicker Man is just another film that should have been left in the past and the money wasted on this wretched remake could have used to help This IS the worst movie I have ever seen. The entire premise of the film ties your brain into knots with a plot twist (so to speak) and themes (so to speak) that would be better put to use...Now come to think of it, nothing could save this fiilm. The Wicker Man is just another film that should have been left in the past and the money wasted on this wretched remake could have used to help starving children or something. To be frank using the money as toilet paper would have been more practical. My apologies to Nicholas Cage, who I actually like... well sometimes. Collapse
  27. GH
    Apr 28, 2007
    A dreadful mess of a movie. Will someone please ask second rate directors to stop attempting remakes of classic movies which dont need to be remade. Please.
  28. Trent
    Nov 1, 2006
    Such a lame ending to this not so thriller/suspence of a movie that you would think M. Night Shamalon made it.
  29. bao
    Dec 26, 2006
    This has got to be one of the worst films ever made. It leaves me lost and disappointed. Forced storyline with no sense of purpose/meaning. The only good thing about this movie was Nick's acting.
  30. DaveC.
    Aug 31, 2006
    a terrible yet promising film that shows us only good acting and a couple screams but leaves us dissapointed and empty. A day later you will forget what you saw and then remember "Oh yeah, that movie was wack"
  31. I
    Sep 15, 2006
    Pluck it, stuff it, and eat it for Thanksgiving because this one's a turkey. I've lost two hours that I can't get back.
  32. Feb 19, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie and Nicholas Cage's character well enough, even with having heard other people say that it was silly etc in these other reviews. But I was still impressed with his detective skills, etc. but was very disgusted with the ending which was so disappointing after all that we go through in this story that I'm giving the movie a 1 out of 10.
  33. Jan 16, 2014
    NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEES!!! NOT THE BEEs!!!
  34. Feb 14, 2014
    This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, from “Not The Bees!!!", to Nicholas Cage in a bear suit punching a woman, to Sister **** and Ellen Burstyn painted like Braveheart, yes this movie brings me a lot of joy, except for being a remake of a great classic, but this is still comic gold, and it is my joy.
  35. Jul 7, 2014
    The Wicker Man remake is one the worst remake and worst acting of Nicolas Cage but it is better than Carrie 2013, but i prefer watching The Wicker Man (2006) 100 times than Carrie 2013 it wasn't scary it is a funny movie ,and Wicker Man (2006) is a funny movie too , OH, NO! NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES! AAAAAHHHHH! OH, THEY'RE IN MY EYES! MY EYES! AAAAHHHHH! AAAAAGGHHH!
  36. Dec 20, 2014
    One of the worst movies I've ever seen, and it's a huge guilty pleasure of mine. It'll make you laugh more than most intentional comedies that are put out these days.

The Wicker Man isn't all that bad a movie; it's visually striking and ambitious in some ways. It just fails to bring enough to the table to fully distance itself from the original.
    There may be a way to remake 1973's cult thriller The Wicker Man, in which a deeply Christian cop has his religious convictions shaken to the core as he investigates the disappearance of a child from within a cheerfully pagan community, but Neil LaBute didn't find it.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Atkinson
    This wasn't a horror film the first time around, and LaBute makes sorry feints at effective creepiness, letting the story roam in circles just like Cage.