The Wind Rises

8.2

1. Mar 24, 2014
    As a big fan of "Spirited Away" and "Howl's Moving Castle", I had high hopes for this movie. While beautiful, the length and minimal story line left me wishing I had waited until it came out for rental.
  2. Nov 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was really disappointed with the film not because I expected a more magical Miyazaki but because his storytelling prowess is lost here. Though every single shot is so beautifully designed it's plagued by repetition and overly long sequences. It covers plenty of historical ground in 172 minutes but not much
    emotional ground. Besides his narrative being problematic, the whole ideology is immoral. The film explicitly makes a case for beauty and design being more important than preventing war and being with your wife in her dying days. Beauty is in fact, very ugly when it is used for destructive purposes, but the film doesn't do much to make this statement. And the man behind the design isn't very interesting. He lacks personality, and even his imaginative and inspired dreams become repetitive and don't inform much. Miyazaki doesn't make a very good case for the genius of this man. I applaud Miyazaki for not being pigeonholed into making the same movie again and again, and he proves to be adventurous even to the end. But the beauty of the rendered images cannot overshadow very obvious flaws.
  3. Nov 29, 2014
    I dunno... this was great to look at.... and since I like engineering and planes and history, it was okay... but after awhile, it just seems to be lacking enough story to justify all the sidetrips and lingering odd scenes. Kind of boring in the long run.... tho surely masterful in its animation style.
  4. Aug 7, 2015
    Easily my least favourite Ghibli movie, The Wind Rises doesn't seem to have a real plot and instead just shows fragments of one rather boring man's life. I know that many of Ghibli's films have slow plots with other movies like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and The Tale of Princess Kaguya (two other films with rather slow plots) being amongst my favourite Ghibli films, but for me aEasily my least favourite Ghibli movie, The Wind Rises doesn't seem to have a real plot and instead just shows fragments of one rather boring man's life. I know that many of Ghibli's films have slow plots with other movies like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and The Tale of Princess Kaguya (two other films with rather slow plots) being amongst my favourite Ghibli films, but for me a story needs to at least have some kind of foundation which can then support the slower pace. The Wind Rises doesn't have this in my opinion. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Hannah Lamarque
    May 21, 2014
    Unlike many of Miyazaki's previous works, The Wind Rises is a film rooted far more firmly in realism. Although it does have its fair share of fantastical dream sequences and magical flying machines.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    May 5, 2014
    While Miyazaki’s two-hour-long, historical-melodrama swansong is destined to be his most divisive film yet, it is also his most adult and interesting, and never less than visually breathtaking throughout.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Feb 28, 2014
    Does The Wind Rises represent Miyazaki at the top of his game? No, not really. But it could be Miyazaki at the end of the game, and that alone is reason enough to appreciate the film for the things it offers rather than hammer it too hard for the things it lacks.