7.7

1. May 3, 2014
    The World's End is a great example of how astonishing and spectacular British media is and really shows the viewer why British humor is still up 2 this day highly regarded as the best cinema experiences of all time. The World's is basically Edgar Wright's love letter to the novel Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, full of bizarre, fun, witty and fascinating humor with outrageous actionThe World's End is a great example of how astonishing and spectacular British media is and really shows the viewer why British humor is still up 2 this day highly regarded as the best cinema experiences of all time. The World's is basically Edgar Wright's love letter to the novel Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, full of bizarre, fun, witty and fascinating humor with outrageous action topped off with a story about a dead beat and his old college friends to go out and complete what they started, the Golden Mile, go 2 8 pubs and get wasted.

10/10, Brilliant ScFi humor mixed with British charm and wit with Astonishing action scenes and a moral message that is politically incorrect = one hell of a good time.
  2. Dec 23, 2013
    One of the best comedies of the year. The World's End is an engaging film. Like its predecessors, it's stocked full of laughs and quick-witted dialogue, and the cast is simply brilliant.
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    "The World's End" wasn't all that bad. I just ended up feeling like I had already watched it before. Followed a very safe formula that I feel had been used in "Shaun of the Dead". It did have a few humorous parts but I feel it to just be lacking in general. It wasn't anywhere close to being as enjoyable as "Shaun of the Dead." I really enjoyed that movie and thought it was very well done."The World's End" wasn't all that bad. I just ended up feeling like I had already watched it before. Followed a very safe formula that I feel had been used in "Shaun of the Dead". It did have a few humorous parts but I feel it to just be lacking in general. It wasn't anywhere close to being as enjoyable as "Shaun of the Dead." I really enjoyed that movie and thought it was very well done. In the future, I feel like It's gonna be difficult topping and/or knocking "Shaun of the Dead" off it's high pedestal. Expand
  4. Nov 28, 2013
    The World's End is a great finish to such a great trilogy. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are fantastic as usual, but Pegg's Gary King provides the quick witt and most of the laughs. Overall Edgar Wright has created a one of the best comedic trilogies there is. A
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    Probably my favorite comedy movie. The humor is dark and the characters are interesting. Simon Pegg makes the movie with his childlike character. He is, of course the cornerstone of the film, keeping it interesting throughout. One thing that a viewer should e aware of before seeing this is that it is not a solid comedy. What I mean by that is the movie takes breaks from providing laughs inProbably my favorite comedy movie. The humor is dark and the characters are interesting. Simon Pegg makes the movie with his childlike character. He is, of course the cornerstone of the film, keeping it interesting throughout. One thing that a viewer should e aware of before seeing this is that it is not a solid comedy. What I mean by that is the movie takes breaks from providing laughs in order to tell a better story. This doesn't make it any worse of movie, it's just something I wasn't expecting going in. Expand
  6. Aug 20, 2014
    you know it's really pointless, the most pointless movie i had seen.
    Just the end of the movie was a little mind awaking but the whole movie is just so incredibly pointless and meaningless....!!
    you can't make a social movie with comedy and science fiction, no way..it's just like eating banana with tea at 4 AM.
  7. Jan 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The world's end is a TERRIBLE movie. It has a poor character development a stupid story and it doesn't even make sense at all by the half of the movie. Honestly, I didn't expect it to turn from a comedy movie into an awful action movie. The beginning of the movie was really fun and enjoyable, but *spolier alert* when they start fighting those robots, I gave up on this movie. And the end of the movie is awful too, It doesn't even make sense. I'm giving it a 4/10 because it made me laugh, but it's not really that good. Expand
  8. Nov 14, 2013
    And with this, the unofficial Cornetto Trilogy comes to an end. While I didn't think "The World's End" was as laugh-out-loud funny as "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," I definitely enjoyed it. The only downside was that I found Simon Pegg's character to be very grating and annoying during the first half of the film--however, once his character develops a little more, he's great. IAnd with this, the unofficial Cornetto Trilogy comes to an end. While I didn't think "The World's End" was as laugh-out-loud funny as "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," I definitely enjoyed it. The only downside was that I found Simon Pegg's character to be very grating and annoying during the first half of the film--however, once his character develops a little more, he's great. I think Pegg is a fantastic actor and very funny guy but he was just too obnoxious for me for the first half. However, the entire cast is comprised of fantastically talented people, the special effects are great, the story is a beautiful homage to classic sci-fi and the fight scenes were just incredible! Overall, a great end to a fantastic series of movies. Expand
  9. May 25, 2014
    "The Ending has come to one of my favorite trilogies of all time and it goes out with the bang of a Gamma-ray Burst."

I'm not one for British comedy there are a few movies and tv shows that i like but for the most part i just don't like it. I have had no problem liking Edgar Wright movies from back in 2004 when i watched Shaun of the dead for the first time i fell in love with it. Hot Fuzz was also great but i needed to watch it a couple times before i really started to love the film. This film though i enjoyed right from the start it's definitely a movie that makes you want to go watch it again.

The film follow a group of five friends that have not seen each other for 20 years as they go on a trip back the their home town to complete the ultimate challenge "The Golden Mile" 12 pubs, 12 pints, 1 night all culminating at the last pub "The Worlds End" oh yeah at some point in there some "Robots" start attacking but that's not a good enough reason for these guy's to stop the ultimate challenge. The film will have you laughing from beginning to end and even after while you are driving home and then even some after that. While some critics/people seem to be getting tired of the nostalgia moments i just can't get enough of them.

Overall i give it a 8.0 A MUST WATCH for everyone you wont regret it for sure well i guess if you don't like British comedy then maybe you wont but i seriously doubt that because it's just too awesome not to like
  10. Jan 9, 2014
    I was anticipating this movie, so I paid $8.95 to watch it on Costa Cruise lines. Certainly a downgrade from what Pegg and Wright normally create; well-crafted satires of overused and degrading American film genres. It's still quirky, energetic, and it leaves with a sense of "what the f**k?" Still one of the better apocalypse movies of recent times, 'This is The End' included. The onlyI was anticipating this movie, so I paid $8.95 to watch it on Costa Cruise lines. Certainly a downgrade from what Pegg and Wright normally create; well-crafted satires of overused and degrading American film genres. It's still quirky, energetic, and it leaves with a sense of "what the f**k?" Still one of the better apocalypse movies of recent times, 'This is The End' included. The only reason I give it a 7 is that I'm slightly disappointed with Wright and Pegg. Usually they make it far less ludicrous and more insulting to the genres, which I think is their greatest element of the Three Flavour's Cornetto. Expand
  11. Aug 9, 2014
    I want to like this movie but Pegg is horribly miscast, and it just isn't funny. Its diluted Shaun of the Dead with a heavier, but actually better, theme. The Sci-fi element is annoying. Of the five main actors, at least three are just not funny whatsoever. All five should have been. Even Guardians of the Galaxy had better characters, and they were often animated. A disappointment.
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    This is not your typical comedy. From the writers of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, bring their latest work The World’s End. It is an action comedy about five friends trying to relive, or bury, their teenage years. The movie starts off by giving context to the story and the characters during their time as high school seniors. After some background information,This is not your typical comedy. From the writers of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, bring their latest work The World’s End. It is an action comedy about five friends trying to relive, or bury, their teenage years. The movie starts off by giving context to the story and the characters during their time as high school seniors. After some background information, the movie starts to shine light upon the characters on the present. Four of the five friends were able to move on from the events that occurred during their senior year, except one. This character is portrayed by Simon Pegg and his character is stuck in the past. He was the leader of this misfit teenage party of friends. He had a sense of power and he did not want to be stuck in a corporate cage after high school, but he could not stop time. Because of these characteristics, Simon Pegg’s character has a drive within himself to recreate his younger self. This leads to him bring all of his friends back together to complete the golden mile, a bar crawl consisting of twelve pubs. On this journey they encounter many obstacles that make all of characters test their friendships and trust within each other. It is a very funny movie with plenty of laughs. It also is an action movie with plenty of bar brawls and slug-fests. Moreover it is a story of friendship and belief in one’s self to trust in one another to achieve something better than what they had before. Expand
  13. Nov 9, 2013
    Funny movie, with lots of small gags. The cast does its work just fine. The ending just looks as if the writers didn't know how to give this movie an end and just wanted to give everything a quick (but not very good) explanation. Good action scenes. Missing the long-laughing gags from Hot Fuzz.
  14. Aug 4, 2014
    Sadly, probably Edgar Wright's weakest film. It felt too self-referential and feels more of a metaphor of Wright and Pegg trying to live through their lost youth. Unfortunately this has now been done to death in cinema. Because of this the aliens seemed to be the secondary story line, and I felt it wasn't as captivating as it should have been.
  15. Mar 8, 2015
    I personally went into The Worlds End, only having seen the trailer and not much else. I wasn’t over keen on the trailer either, but in the end its just a trailer, and i would always give a film a shot. I’d obviously heard that this was the final in the ‘Cornetto Trilogy’ or to give the the series its official name from Simon Pegg and Edgar Write ‘The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy’ whichI personally went into The Worlds End, only having seen the trailer and not much else. I wasn’t over keen on the trailer either, but in the end its just a trailer, and i would always give a film a shot. I’d obviously heard that this was the final in the ‘Cornetto Trilogy’ or to give the the series its official name from Simon Pegg and Edgar Write ‘The Blood and Ice Cream Trilogy’ which also included the excellent Shaun Of The Dead, and the equally excellent and unique Hot Fuzz. So here we have the final film, The World’s End to complete the trio.

The World’s End was never going to have the same buzz or appeal like Shaun Of The Dead, which everyone was interested in being the whole horror/zombie boom at the time, and it was never going to have the intrigue of Hot Fuzz, being the second in the trilogy with people expecting what next, but what it has for it, is that its the final return of ‘the team’ (Edgar Write, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost) in a humble Sci-Fi affair, along with some massive names in British talent. Along with the obvious Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, we have the likes of Paddy Considine, who is an amazing talent. The Office favorite, Martin Freeman, who lets just say has been doing rather well in the film stakes lately. Eddie Marsan who i feel is one of the most talented British actors working at the moment, this man can act, and holding the lady flag high, we have Rosamund Pike, who over the last few years, has become a household name, and is only getting better.

The World’s End is about Gary (Simon Pegg) who wants to go back to his hometown of Newton Haven after leaving 20 years previously, and is hellbent on getting together with his 4 best mates and go on drinking marathon pub crawl. Gary, still acting like the kid from back in the days, sees that everyone has moved on with their lives and grown up. Andrew (Nick Frost) is now a solicitor. Steve (Paddy Considine) owns his own company in construction. Oliver (Martin Freeman) works in property, and Peter (Eddie Marsan) is a partner at his fathers car dealership. Gary has to try and convince everyone to meet up and try and complete the ‘Golden Mile’ which they were never able to complete for numerous reason as teenagers, all with the expectation to complete it this time, one way or another. The Golden Mile for Gary and his friends have many memories connected to it from their childhood, some good, some bad, and many a underlying reason why some of his mates have lost touch with Gary over the years.

The World’s End has a long but slightly drawn out opening sequence, an entertaining, if a bit mashed up middle, an odd and pointless conclusion, and an an least unconventional, if on a personal opinion, weirdly unnecessary epilogue.

The start seems to drag a bit. We have the introduction of the characters, which is enjoyable, but its the same for 20 minutes. There are a couple great jokes here at the start though, with the likes of the tape player joke, or the owner of the car moment, plus it really shows you how our main character Gary is still in the past. The middle, made up with the ‘Golden Mile’ is quite interesting. The whole back and forth between the pubs, with ‘down memory lane’ stories told by each character is a smart way for us, the viewer, to understand who these friends really were back in the day, and how strong their relationships once was. Their are some funny characters introduced here too, mainly at the pubs that they go to, and with the whole alien invasion turn in the story, how is played out is done well, if a bit odd at times. The whole conclusion seems just a whole smack in the face, with a few WTF moments. I really didn’t enjoy how it concluded. The path some of our characters take just seem a bit selfish in the grand scale of things, and the epilogue, even though rather fitting to the films name, has some silly revelations.

There are a few laughs here and there. For me personally I feel it’s not on par with Shaun Of The Dead or even Hot Fuzz, on laughs scale but it still has a few thrown in. The fight scenes at first are excellent, and even latter there is some great moments within the first scenes, but we start to get more and more of them that they seem just a bit messy and uneasy to follow.
    There is a back story here which is quite heartfelt come the end of things, especially considering what some of the characters have gone through, but when the main character, Gary, comes across as an annoying prat, it loses some of appeal. However with we have to remember, he hasn’t really grown up. He is suppose to come across as a childish fool. He still still acts like he did back when he was a teenagers, he wants to continue to be in a time where he was king of his friends, a time where loved, where lost, and where he had friends, where he has family.

Full Review @ItsMuchMore
  16. Dec 24, 2013
    A film with such high ratings from critics and users, but so utterly poor beyond the first 20 minutes, that I had to sign up to Metacritic to ensure that sane people's views were represented more fully. Pegg and Frost have truly lost their way. How deeply disillusioning to see the wonderful Paddy Considine and Martin Freeman in a film so lacking in wit, skill, grace and genuineA film with such high ratings from critics and users, but so utterly poor beyond the first 20 minutes, that I had to sign up to Metacritic to ensure that sane people's views were represented more fully. Pegg and Frost have truly lost their way. How deeply disillusioning to see the wonderful Paddy Considine and Martin Freeman in a film so lacking in wit, skill, grace and genuine thoughfulness. Nice idea: zombie slave metaphor for middle age conformity. And the odd good line early on. But the people making it have so lost touch with ordinary life that they no longer know how to turn life into art, or more to the point, comedy. No one, but no one, will remember this film with affection in ten years' time. Expand
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    The last entry in the Edgar Wright's trilogy is equal parts riotous and moving. The film is a masterwork in pacing, and Simon Pegg gives what has to be his best performance ever.
  18. Jan 2, 2014
    A really fun movie with some really nice jokes and good action sequences, combined with witty back-and-forth banter between the main characters make The World's End a great ending to Three Flavours Cornetto (or whatever you want to call it) trilogy.
  19. Jan 5, 2014
    I think some of the 0 score reviews are very harsh and they probably don't have any humour and took the film to seriously.

Its fun and stupid and it made me laugh loads. Being from the UK I found it hilarious how they made a whole crazy story from a pub crawl so thought it was great. So maybe its a UK film where Americans won't get why its funny but me and all my friends love it and I hope they release more silly films.
  20. Feb 19, 2014
    This is the Third Flavour of the Cornetto trilogy, and as you would expect it's quirky, pacey and funny. The movie is rich with characters and relationship building (friendship). Higly recommend it.
  21. Sep 10, 2014
    It doesn't mark Itself as the best work from the Pegg and Wright but still contains enough comical violence and ridiculous humor to make it a memorable film.
  22. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    The World's End was absolutely outrageous!!! If the movie didn't have all the laughs and drinks in it, it would just be one of those pathetic movies similar to the Steve Jobs biopic directed by Joshua Michael Stern.
  23. May 27, 2014
    Great movie until the ending. There was many funny jokes and clever dialogue in this movie that kept me into it most of the time. The story was pretty good up until near the very end it started to suck at the end. It is the worst of the three movies that Frost and Pegg have done together but they still managed to entertain me to enjoy this movie quite a bit.
  24. May 1, 2014
    This movie is the perfect end to a trilogy that has had audiences both amazed with the acting and directing, and laughing out loud with it's incredibly witty comedy. I have already seen this movie over 10 times, and each time I discover something new.
  25. Jun 22, 2014
    As long as you don't try and compare it to Hot Fuzz , this film is very enjoyable to watch especially watching it the second time round, the humor is what you expect and puts a smile on your face with some moments that will make you **** yourself with laughter.

I only rated it a seven because some parts of the plot just felt like it lost it way a bit and didn't quite explain itself properly and the ending was a bit naff as well.

I do think this film is worth a watch but it probably does have its own audience and may need to be watched twice (with a good amount of time in between)
  26. Jul 4, 2014
    As a whole, "The World's End" is still pretty good, but not as humorous as "Shaun of the Dead" or "Hot Fuzz". For better or worse, the film emphasises more on moral, ethics and the stupidity of humans than simple, funny jokes. As for acting, this is the best of Simon Pegg that I have seen so far.
  27. Nov 13, 2014
    "The World's End" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

"The World's End" 10 Scale Rating: 7.5 (Very Good) ...

The Good: With a great cast that you've seen in previous films from Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and director Edgar Wright, "The World's End" is witty and at times downright hilarious. If you've enjoyed the first two films from this group (Sean of the Dead, Hot Fuzz), then you will enjoy this one as well. As with the first two offerings, "The World's End" effortlessly and drastically changes up genres and, oddly enough, it fits.

The Bad: If you're not a fan of the first two films, then you won't like this one. The premise is also a bit silly. Sure, it is expected as this is a comedy, but at times it goes a little overboard. It is a little uneven as the first half is much better than the second.
  28. Apr 24, 2015
    he World's End represents the conclusion to the so-called "Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy" from the creative team of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost. Finding linkage between this film and its predecessors, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, is difficult, although each references a different colo(u)r of Cornetto, but it's a workable marketing device. The most obvious commonality ishe World's End represents the conclusion to the so-called "Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy" from the creative team of Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost. Finding linkage between this film and its predecessors, Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, is difficult, although each references a different colo(u)r of Cornetto, but it's a workable marketing device. The most obvious commonality is that each movie parodies and occupies a genre. With Shaun of the Dead, it was zombie films. With Hot Fuzz, it was cop movies. And with The World's End, it's body-snatching alien invasion flicks.

The film's strength is its comedic bent - there are some very funny moments contained herein. However, the narrative eventually loses its way and crumbles (although the epilogue is rather brilliant). The increase in action set-pieces heralds The World's End's least engaging act. Overall, the strengths definitely outweigh the weaknesses and the tone and feel echoes that shared by Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. There's also more than a passing resemblance to Doctor Who in general and a 1975 story called "The Android Invasion" in particular. Considering that writer/director Edgar Wright and co-writer/star Simon Pegg are both avid Doctor Who fans, one can assume this is not coincidental.

Although the title and the marketing campaign make this look like yet another apocalyptic yarn, it's not - at least not in the main. "The World's End" is the name of a pub and the storyline is about Earth being invaded by stealth with the goal of "improving" the planet rather than destroying it. The trailers and publicity material make this sound like a close cousin to Seth Rogen's This is the End (even the names are easily confused). However, when you sit down to watch The World's End, most of the alleged similarities melt away. The two movies aren't much alike, although both are sci-fi comedies that feature a lot of swearing.

The World's End has the same kind of fun with sci-fi tropes that the previous two "Cornetto" features enjoyed playing in their individual playgrounds. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are once again front-and-center and, as in Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, their chemistry and energy go a long way toward keeping the movie afloat. Frost is great as the straight man and Pegg veers between maniacal overdrive and instances of surprising pathos. His best scene feels like a Buster Keaton homage (or possibly a nod to Star Trek's "The Trouble with Tribbles") as he attempts to down a pint in the middle of a bar brawl.

The climax is sloppy because Pegg and Wright write themselves into a corner from which there's no clever or elegant escape. The conversation with Bill Nighy's voice doesn't work. Yes, comedies get a little more slack when it comes to narrative cheats - often because we're laughing so hard we don't really care - but The World's End wants to be more than "just a parody" and, because of that, it's impossible simply to give the ending a pass. At least what happens after the climax is clever and daring and helps to rebuild any goodwill lost in the preceding scenes.

There's a lot of fun to be had in watching The World's End and, surprisingly, more thematic depth than one might expect. The humor, true to its British roots, may baffle some Americans but those who "get" it will laugh quite a bit. Through it all, however, there's an underlying current of melancholy as Gary discovers what Bruce Springsteen sang about in "Glory Days": life passes by in a blink and the "greatness" of youth is quick to fade. There's a lesson to be learned here: You can't go home again, and not just because all your old haunts are now occupied by stiffly smiling doppelgangers.

1. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Aug 31, 2013
    Nothing here is so well defined, and the tone of the film begins to suffer. I cannot imagine returning to it as one does to "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz," hungry for fresh minutiae. [2 Sept. 2013, p.80]
  2. Reviewed by: Kimberley Jones
    Aug 28, 2013
    The World’s End affectionately takes a page from our Fifties sci-fi films.
  3. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli