5.2

1. Jul 13, 2014
    This latest from Paul Haggis (best known as the writer/director of "Crash") follows a similar multi-level structure. Three couples play out tragic stories in 3 cities (New York, Rome, Paris), each centering around the loss of a child. The impressive cast (Liam Neeson, James Franco, Adrien Brody, Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde) turns in deep performances, but it's the script that leaves youThis latest from Paul Haggis (best known as the writer/director of "Crash") follows a similar multi-level structure. Three couples play out tragic stories in 3 cities (New York, Rome, Paris), each centering around the loss of a child. The impressive cast (Liam Neeson, James Franco, Adrien Brody, Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde) turns in deep performances, but it's the script that leaves you wanting. It sets up a number of compelling complex situations (and even tosses in some reality defying twists), but none of it resolves in a gratifying conclusion. I kept waiting for the dramatic revelations, but all I got was flawed characters who suffered interestingly. Expand
  2. Jul 14, 2014
    Yes, it is as long as a six course dinner, but what a feast. The subject matter is interesting--the disasters that happen to children when they are loved too much, not enough, or when they can't compete with the complications of their parents' lives. The cinematography is superb. The actors outdo themselves. Liam Neeson and Adrien Brody are esteemed, but this is their best work.Yes, it is as long as a six course dinner, but what a feast. The subject matter is interesting--the disasters that happen to children when they are loved too much, not enough, or when they can't compete with the complications of their parents' lives. The cinematography is superb. The actors outdo themselves. Liam Neeson and Adrien Brody are esteemed, but this is their best work. Olivia Wilde is a revelation in a very difficult role. Mila Kunis and James Franco prove more than cute, off beat personalities. The director, Paul Haggis, loves telling multiple stories that combine sometimes in terms of story, sometimes only through implication. If this is "playing God", let him play on--he has the cards. Expand
  3. Jul 5, 2014
    As a rule I will usually post my movie review the same evening after I have seen the movie but I wanted to give the “Third Person” awhile before giving my opinions. I don’t remember the last time I saw an audience with such puzzled faces walking out of a movie theatre as I did after the end credits were shown.

While I prefer my movies tied up in a bow with rational explanations of

While I prefer my movies tied up in a bow with rational explanations of why/what took place I don’t mind the occasional one with ambiguous endings but sometimes the writer/director, in this case Paul Haggis, who also wrote and directed the Oscar winning “Crash”, goes a little too far. There are 3 stories going on here simultaneously but really there is a fourth which helps in adding, “What?!” to the ending. I don’t like to give spoilers so I really won’t give my explanation except to say as a writer I have written books of fiction giving characters different aspects of myself and leave it at that.

The stories revolve around Mike (Liam Neeson), Anna (Olivia Wilde) and his wife (Kim Basinger), Sean (Adrien Brody) and Monika (Moran Atias), Julia (Mila Kunis) and her ex (James Franco) and her lawyer (Maria Bello) each story involving a child, girl or boy, dead or alive.

One couple is in Paris, another in Rome and a third in New York and whether on purpose or not the writer/director Haggis will have Mila in New York, where her main story takes and place, and twice in Paris without any reason except writers have the freedom to take their story where they want.

All the actors do fine but Kunis’s make up is a bit too much even for a one time soap opera star and Brody comes up bland playing opposite Atias, an Israeli actress, as a Romanian gypsy!

I don’t know how to explain this but though the movie is interesting it is also boring, the running time being over 2 hours and 20 minutes. The film is about all aspects of love but doesn’t get the viewer involved which in the end makes it a failure.
  4. Sep 24, 2014
    Third Person does have a somewhat intriguing premise and includes a talented cast, its is poorly executed and often too confusing to offer any engagement.
  5. Jun 28, 2014
    A noble attempt at trying to make a meaningful statement that feels like it's always "reaching" for something it never fully attains. That's rather unfortunate, too, given the considerable talent at the filmmakers' disposal here. But, no matter how hard the picture tries, it never really seems to arrive at a destination that truly satisfies.

1. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Jan 9, 2015
    Everything gets just too damn convoluted for its own good, and it’s hard to care what becomes of Haggis’ characters as they’re shifted around. Any one of the strands expanded alone might have worked better.
  2. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Nov 10, 2014
    If "Crash" set your teeth on edge, book in at the dentist's before seeing this one.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Jul 11, 2014
    It's also deeply flawed, an emotionally exhausting film with a payoff that is limited at best, and a bit self-indulgent to boot. So while Haggis has proven himself a first-rate filmmaker and storyteller, by his standards, Third Person is little more than a second-rate effort.