This Is the End

7.1

1. Jun 13, 2013
    Excerpt from the blog: tilfilmdouspart.blogspot.ca

Excerpt from the blog: tilfilmdouspart.blogspot.ca

Although the film had a very thin script, it is full of laughs and has outrageous gags that works in the end for a very enjoyable film. I would not recommend this movie to people easily offended though, for me, the offensive is hilarious. Reportedly Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (the co-directors) had a running joke on set to see how many people would say "I can't do that", Seth was the only person to not say so. The movie provided an interesting insight into a Hollywood party that isn't real but makes you wonder how some celebrities are in real life. For example, is Michael Cera really a coke head that slaps women's butts and has a huge penis(per Mindy Kaling's opinion), doubtful but fun to imagine.

At the heart of this film is the bromance between Jay and Seth and to a lesser extent Seth and James. I felt that Jay's character got too bad of a rap for the first 2/3 of the movie. He is described by everyone else as self righteous, to me he just appeared to not enjoy himself but due to this labeling he seems to move into the role later on. Their story is somewhat sad though, watching two old friends drift apart.

Some not so great parts. At 107 minutes, the movie felt as long as it was. For Rogen and Goldberg's first foray into directing it wasn't anything special from a direction aspect. The film benefited mostly from the script written by the two and the performances from the group. That it is for parts I did not like about it. It was that enjoyable.

I would highly recommend seeing this movie. The laughs are nonstop, the cameos are epic and the movie is somewhat believable in how the cast would react to the apocalypse. 9/10

-Hailey

Edited by Josh.
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    The funniest movie I have seen in a long time. I was a big fan of Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen especially before this and they were funny as hell, but not a patch on Danny McBride, he was on another level of funny. I also enjoyed the fact they played themselves and were able to just rip the hell out of each other, you wouldn't see many Hollywood actors doing that.

Go see this movie, now.
  3. Jun 19, 2013
    Out of all of the previous comedies to come out by these guys, this could possibly be the best so far. The humour portrayed crosses the lines of referential, slander, foreshadowing, over exaggeration of one’s personalities, and even toilet humour. What makes this story so interesting to follow is that it is simple and it’s “characters” are outstanding as themselves. You would think that aOut of all of the previous comedies to come out by these guys, this could possibly be the best so far. The humour portrayed crosses the lines of referential, slander, foreshadowing, over exaggeration of one’s personalities, and even toilet humour. What makes this story so interesting to follow is that it is simple and it’s “characters” are outstanding as themselves. You would think that a comedy starring 6 A-list comedians would be pretty straightforward. However, there are some very very creative, and sometimes dark, ideas all throughout this movie, filled with overblown personalities and endless cameos that are so short, that they make you want more, but making sure that no idea is overused, thus making it easily the best comedy of the summer to date. Expand
  4. Jun 23, 2013
    this movie is absolutely hilarious! James Franco leads the acting with a hilarious and unforgettable performance. Seth, Jay, and Craig are hilarious, and Michael Cera was shockingly brazen, as opposed to shy in the majority of his film work.
  5. Jun 20, 2013
    This is one of the funniest movies I have seen in forever. I laughed throughout the entire movie to the point of tummy aching and tears running. Don't read anything about the movie beforehand...don't watch the trailers...just go see it. The surprises are the best part and there are many. Brilliant cast, hilarious concept, fantastically funny. Seriously...go see and eff these idiots whoThis is one of the funniest movies I have seen in forever. I laughed throughout the entire movie to the point of tummy aching and tears running. Don't read anything about the movie beforehand...don't watch the trailers...just go see it. The surprises are the best part and there are many. Brilliant cast, hilarious concept, fantastically funny. Seriously...go see and eff these idiots who gave this movie a zero. Expand
  6. Jun 21, 2013
    Haven't laughed this hard in a long time. It's raunchy, vulgar and immature which is exactly what I expected. Anyone scoring this film at less than 6 out of 10 is likely clinically dead.
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    An absurd comedy that is laugh out loud funny. Sometimes you sit in the ocean ready to surf a wave and you sit there all day; this movie catches the wave and provides a most satisfying ride. The main stars in it are in virtually every scene,no bit roles here. Their relationships, self absorption and glean into Hollywood mentality brew together as a comedic roller coaster. Yes there areAn absurd comedy that is laugh out loud funny. Sometimes you sit in the ocean ready to surf a wave and you sit there all day; this movie catches the wave and provides a most satisfying ride. The main stars in it are in virtually every scene,no bit roles here. Their relationships, self absorption and glean into Hollywood mentality brew together as a comedic roller coaster. Yes there are a few scenes that are less than, but what comedy doesn't? Overall this film is definitely worth the time and price of admission. Expand
  8. Jun 21, 2013
    "This Is The End" is a classic example of how comedies are supposed to be made. Straight up weirdness, craziness, and randomness. Yeah, it goes a bit over the top at times but it's still the best comedy to date in 2013. Also, if you haven't heard, Craig Robinson is the bomb.
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    Consistently funny from beginning to end, with a lot of self-deprecating humor. I loved the finale with a particular musical cue that was gut splitting. I think the thing I appreciate most, was the attention to technical detail that the filmmakers gave to crafting this gem. It would have been easy to have low grade special effects, but all of the visual effects work was solid, whichConsistently funny from beginning to end, with a lot of self-deprecating humor. I loved the finale with a particular musical cue that was gut splitting. I think the thing I appreciate most, was the attention to technical detail that the filmmakers gave to crafting this gem. It would have been easy to have low grade special effects, but all of the visual effects work was solid, which only enhances this masterpiece. Michael Cera, and Danny McBride really steal the show, never failing to skewer their own image, or really go there with being despicable and hedonistic. This is one for the ages. Well done, Seth Rogen! Expand
  10. Jun 26, 2013
    This hysterical and witty play of Armageddon is tremendously undervalued. "This is the End" will have you laughing and leaving you wanting more. The trailers for this movie led me into believing that this was going to be a mindless comedy but I was pleasantly surprised of the wittiness of James Franco, Danny McBride and company. The only thing I would change about this comedic film is lessThis hysterical and witty play of Armageddon is tremendously undervalued. "This is the End" will have you laughing and leaving you wanting more. The trailers for this movie led me into believing that this was going to be a mindless comedy but I was pleasantly surprised of the wittiness of James Franco, Danny McBride and company. The only thing I would change about this comedic film is less Jay and more Danny. Expand
  11. Jul 2, 2013
    This movie was shockingly good. I am decidedly not their target audience (29 year old married female professional) but I was choking with laughter. I saw World War Z immediately after and this movie crushed it. Loved Jay Baruchel, Craig T Robinson and Danny McBride. They were amazing.
  12. Jul 3, 2013
    There are too many reviews that list it as a 0 or a 10 where the truth is, it is somewhere between. I thought the movie was ok and very enjoyable at times but not quite as funny as I had hoped..
  13. Jul 8, 2013
    I thought this is the end is a very funny film, I found me and my friends laughing the whole way through, well worth the money. I read a review from the daily mail about this is the end and they gave it 1 star, which is completely despicable. I thought all the character were unbelievably funny, I loved all the characters couldn't of been casted any differently, the critics are stupid justI thought this is the end is a very funny film, I found me and my friends laughing the whole way through, well worth the money. I read a review from the daily mail about this is the end and they gave it 1 star, which is completely despicable. I thought all the character were unbelievably funny, I loved all the characters couldn't of been casted any differently, the critics are stupid just listen to the user reviews and I highly recommend this film easily 9 out of 10:)! Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2013
    OH.MY.GOSH. i just watched the movie, what an awesome one hahah i laughed so freakin' hard definetely one of the best movies of this year so far.. for real.
  15. Jul 19, 2013
    While it is certainly no OSCAR contender, it is a well written, funny movie. The main players do a great job performing as their caricatures, and there are multiple laugh out loud moments. The plot gets a little wonky at times, but it is likely intended that way. I only wish we had seen more of Michael Cera, his scenes steal the movie.
  16. Jul 22, 2013
    Loved this flick. Plot wasn't amazing, but that really wasn't the important part. The interplay between characters as themselves is amazing. It is a bit vulgar, but if you expect anything less from these guys that would be silly. I may be a bit biased though because these guys are all in my list of favorite actors... except maybe Jay, but he was awesome in this too.
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    What a terrible movie. okay so the big mistake was using the real actors names. this was misleading because the actors are NOT playing themselves. they pretend that they are, but are really just acting like brain-dead stoners. really weird, unrealistic acting, not funny at all. really disappointing, i was exited for this one too.
  18. Sep 15, 2013
    This Is The End: Easily the funniest film of 2013 I haven't seen The World's End yet). This movie was just fantastic, all the actors played their parts very well, the story was surprisingly good for a film like this and at times the film got a bit dark and disturbing. Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel are easily the main characters in this movie and they both are extremely good in this movie,This Is The End: Easily the funniest film of 2013 I haven't seen The World's End yet). This movie was just fantastic, all the actors played their parts very well, the story was surprisingly good for a film like this and at times the film got a bit dark and disturbing. Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel are easily the main characters in this movie and they both are extremely good in this movie, James Franco serves to be a bit of a leader for the film, Craig Robinson is the lovable funny guy, Jonah Hill is awkward and a bit annoying here. The standout character in the film would have to be Danny McBride as a crazy version of himself who really causes all the problems. A few people have some good scenes such as a coked up Michael Cera, an extremely cautious Emma Watson and a really strange appearance from Channing Tatum. All in all this is an extremely entertaining film, if you're a fan of these guys then definitely watch it. 9/10. Expand
  19. Jan 30, 2014
    This Is the End starts out hilarious, fresh and has the makings of a great movie. As the movie gets into its final third, it starts to drag a little bit and the high begins to wear off, but overall the actors were vey funny and the film itself was enjoyable.
  20. Sep 23, 2013
    The movie have funny interpretations of the characters and the turn of events come so fast and so odd lest you have nothing to do but laught. Both the writer and director are genius.
  21. Oct 8, 2013
    Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg hit it out of the park out again. This time, taking the biblical foretelling of the apocalypse and injecting it with weed humor, celebrity cliches, and a whole lot of other fun stuff. We are introduced to fictionalized, exaggerated take offs of their real life counterparts; Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel James Franco, Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill and Danny McBrideSeth Rogen and Evan Goldberg hit it out of the park out again. This time, taking the biblical foretelling of the apocalypse and injecting it with weed humor, celebrity cliches, and a whole lot of other fun stuff. We are introduced to fictionalized, exaggerated take offs of their real life counterparts; Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel James Franco, Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill and Danny McBride face off the apocalypse when it comes to James Franco's doorstep, following a house-warming he was throwing for himself.

The film is sprinkled with cameos left in right, one minute you see the coke-head Michael Cera, next you're seeing the dulling-everything-down Jason Segel, and you can't forget the singing-to-explain-everything Rihana. Normally, it would bother me to see something like this happening, but these exaggerated counterparts add the right spice. In their counterparts, Seth Rogen is, obviously, a huge pot-head, Jay Baruchel is a nation-prided Canadian who hates every last minute of being in the US, Jonah Hill is the too-friendly nice guy of the group, James Franco is a self-centered art aficionado, Craig Robinson... is here, and Danny McBride is royally screwing up everyone's crap.

You could tell that nearly every line of this film was improved, Rogen even stated in an interview that "50 percent of it was improvised." But, leaving the movie in the caring hands of such great actors is the right call, I usually like to read scripts of films after seeing them, but I have the strong feeling that I don't need to read this one, as much as I respect source materials, I have to say; whatever Rogen and Goldberg could have even written probably couldn't meet the comedic level broken by this film.
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Do you like art? I like art. This movie “This is the End” is art. As James Franco says, “You’ve ever been to Subway? You order a sandwich, someone put that together for you. That’s art”.
      If you are looking for a great laugh “This is the End” is the movie for you. From beginning to end it is filled with weed, drugs, dick jokes and Seth Rogen laughs. The basic plot revolves around Jay Baruchel who visits from Canada to spend time with one of his best friends, Seth Rogen. Jay is not much of a people person and does not really like the “L.A. lifestyle”. Seth wants Jay to get to know his Hollywood friends so Jay and Rogen go to James Franco party filled with celebrities such as Michael Cera, McLovin, Kevin Hart, Jona Hill, Craig Robinson, and Danny Mcbride. When Jay and Seth decide to walk to the store an earthquake starts and beams of light begin sucking people into the sky. As the ground starts to crumble beneath them, Seth, Jay, Franco, Hill, Craig, and Danny take refuge in James Franco’s newly built house. As they try to figure out what is going on, all six of the friends have to deal with an apocalyptic world and each other in order to stay alive. As the story progresses, everyone’s true feelings about each other surface.
      If I had to take a guess, I believe this is how a celebrity party would go down. Craig Robinson would be playing the piano while Michael Cera does coke and slaps Rihanna’s ass. The actors are essentially playing themselves. In a way, I think this is how their personalities truly are, just exaggerated.
      Some of the things I enjoyed about the movie was the way they foreshadowed certain events. For example, in the beginning Seth and Franco are sitting down during the party discussing a sequel to “Pineapple Express”. Franco says the ending of the movie should involve Franco saving Seth and Danny eating Franco. This is exactly what happens at the end of the movie. Franco sacrifices himself for Seth and eventually gets eaten by cannibal Danny McBride. This brings me to Danny. He is by far the funniest main character. He played the obnoxious friend that people eventually get fed up with.
      Another thing I appreciated was the soundtrack. Each track complemented perfectly with it’s scene. Psy’s ‘Gangam Style’, Backstreet Boys, and Cypress Hill exemplified the diversity within the movie’s music.
      In the end, the friends started to believe the biblical apocalypse was happening. Their goal was to do right by each other in hopes that God will save them and they’ll go to heaven.
      The moral of the story is, no matter what wrong you do you can always make them right. “This is the End” was easily the funniest movie of the summer, possibly, the year. This was the funniest movie I’ve seen in awhile. If you have not seen it yet, I would definitely Redbox or buy it. “This is the End” gets five stars and two thumbs up.
  23. Dec 28, 2013
    The actors playing pseudo versions of themselves premise is inspired, and This Is The End ranks among the funniest and most outrageous comedies I have seen. Rogen and Goldberg prove themselves more than capable directors, and have crafted one of 2013's best
  24. Jan 1, 2014
    The funniest comedy in years, and has a great original idea. I think it makes it all the better because everyone in it plays themselves. It's funny because they point out and exaggerate things about each other, and they all feel like friends who get on each others nerves. Hilarious and original movie!

This is the End gets an 8.4/10
  25. Jan 17, 2014
    This Is The End is great very funny good acting story is original although one part they did not need was demons with Dicks really who wants to see that and really It makes the movie not as great as it could have been and probably in 5 years people will forget about this because notable scenes will get cut when this airs on regular Tv or stations won't even show it because of that.This Is The End is great very funny good acting story is original although one part they did not need was demons with Dicks really who wants to see that and really It makes the movie not as great as it could have been and probably in 5 years people will forget about this because notable scenes will get cut when this airs on regular Tv or stations won't even show it because of that. Overall I think 21 jump street was the best comedy I seen in a while, this is right up their but not by a lot but it is good the best comedy of 2013 Expand
  26. Jan 30, 2014
    This Is The End is a movie that really shouldn't have worked, yet had me doubled over laughing for the entire film. The idea of a bunch of Hollywood actors playing exaggerated versions of themselves as a band of survivors in the Biblical Apocalypse sounds like something that should fall flat on its face, but it surprisingly carries the whole way through, in part because the actors lookThis Is The End is a movie that really shouldn't have worked, yet had me doubled over laughing for the entire film. The idea of a bunch of Hollywood actors playing exaggerated versions of themselves as a band of survivors in the Biblical Apocalypse sounds like something that should fall flat on its face, but it surprisingly carries the whole way through, in part because the actors look like they're having a ball making it. To say more would risk spoiling some hilarious scenes, so I'll give you some brief non-spoiler comedic highlights: Jonah Hill's shtick as the nicest guy in the world, Jason Siegel lampooning his own role on How I Met Your Mother, Michael Cera as an unapologetic sex and cocaine addict, anything that Craig Robinson does, the fake trailer for Pineapple Express 2, and EVERYTHING involving Emma Watson. So if you're into getting some unapologetically raunchy and ridiculous comedy with a surprising amount of heart, catch it in theaters while you can. That said, approach with caution if you're allergic to the Backstreet Boys because you'll have that stuck in your head after you're done. Expand
  27. Feb 13, 2014
    Great movie! I thought it was hilarious!! I love all the actors in it and its one of those movies that just doesn't get old! Possibly the best comedy since Shaun of the Dead or the first Anchorman.
  28. Mar 20, 2015
    I don't get the hate this film is getting...everywhere I go to look at the user reviews, it's all negative...everybody seems to hate this movie. Last time I checked, this is a comedy film...co-written and co-directed by Seth Rogen. He's known for making crude and obnoxious comedies...seriously people LIGHTEN THE F**K UP!!!

Alright, basically the plot to this movie is that everybody in

Alright, basically the plot to this movie is that everybody in here are playing fictional versions of themselves. Jay Baruchel returns to Los Angeles with his friend Seth Rogen. Seth decides that he wants to go to James Franco's new house as he is having a party. Jay isn't so enthusiastic about this as he doesn't seem to get along with any of Seth's other "Hollywood" friends, but Seth manages to drag Jay along despite being a little pessimistic about it.

They arrive at James Franco's house and they meet some of Seth's other friends including; Jonah Hill (very funny and camp), Craig Robinson (very down-to-earth) and a host of other celebrities are there as well including a drug-consuming Michael Cera who keeps slapping Rihanna's butt and Emma Watson.

When Jay and Seth are taking a trip to the shop, the apocalypse begins and everybody seems to die in a horrific manner, or they are mysteriously being beamed up into the sky. When they arrive back at James Franco's house, they see the destruction and that's where the comedy really begins.

We see a number of celebrities dying in very hilarious situations simply because they are celebrities with a certain reputation and don't mind being degraded on screen.

Of course, the one man gate-crashing the party is an uninvited Danny McBride who makes everybody's life hell as he eats the food, doesn't help with finding survival items and more. One of the funniest scenes in the movie is when Emma Watson returns and thinks that she is about to get raped by one of the guys, so she breaks Seth Rogen's nose and steals their alcohol supplies. Another funny scene involves James Franco and Danny McBride arguing for about five minutes over who can ejaculate on whom. This scene had me in stitches.

I've never laughed so hard in so long...all of the negativity must be due to the fact that people found it offensive...it's a SETH ROGEN comedy...of course it'll be offensive. If you don't like it, there is no talking to you.
  29. May 18, 2015
    Actors often have a reputation for playing themselves and in This is the End the actors are literally playing themselves. Seth Rogan and Jay Baruchel arrival at Los Angeles and go to a party hosted by James Franco featuring a bunch of other celebrities. If this sounds like an excuse to cram as many famous actors into one movie it is and it leads to a lot of the James Franco and Seth RoganActors often have a reputation for playing themselves and in This is the End the actors are literally playing themselves. Seth Rogan and Jay Baruchel arrival at Los Angeles and go to a party hosted by James Franco featuring a bunch of other celebrities. If this sounds like an excuse to cram as many famous actors into one movie it is and it leads to a lot of the James Franco and Seth Rogan raunchy comedy humor you’ve come to expect from such films as Pineapple Express, which is surprisingly still engaging despite the fact that is been done before. The unique aspect of the film is of course that since the actors are playing themselves a lot of jokes in the film are the actors making fun of each other and themselves from their successes to their failures. The most prominent joke in the film is that Jay Baruchel is the outcast in the group and I’ve seen the outcast before but its handled well. I haven’t seen him in many films so it works. The only downside of having this be the bulk of the comedy is that the film will probably be dated in a decade or two as a lot of these actors are stars at the time but eventually they won’t be the face of comedy anymore and future audiences will be scratching their heads. Even if the jokes wear out though, the energy the actors give off will still hold up. All of the characters play well off each other having arguments about minor things such as water, Harry Potter, and everything but the apocalypse at times. It feels like a raunchy frat party at times and its fun. James Franco is great here. I’m starting to find that he really shines at comedy. There’s also a bit of heart in terms of studying how people would deal with the apocalypse and the good within everyone. The film takes a while to get going though, some of the raunchy jokes are little too raunchy, and there are some lulls of boredom. Nonetheless, This is the End is fun. Its great to see all these actors together and I am bummed I didn’t get to see this in the theater because if I did I’d probably be joining the chorus of laughter that I know this film got. Expand
  30. Oct 12, 2013
    This movie was pretty funny. Some spots were just boring and same old dirty jokes, but there are moments that are flat out HILARIOUS and made me laugh out loud. Danny Mcbride's entrance was the funniest thing I have seen in years! I had to rewind that part 3 times. Perfect movie moment. While overall the story is pretty dumb and there are some slow moments, It's worth watching justThis movie was pretty funny. Some spots were just boring and same old dirty jokes, but there are moments that are flat out HILARIOUS and made me laugh out loud. Danny Mcbride's entrance was the funniest thing I have seen in years! I had to rewind that part 3 times. Perfect movie moment. While overall the story is pretty dumb and there are some slow moments, It's worth watching just for the few huge laughs you'll git in spots, in my opinion. Expand
  31. Oct 13, 2013
    A fun premise, with a bunch of great comedy actors playing themselves. I knew this movie would be hilarious, and it is. A little too vulgar, but hilarious.
  32. Mar 27, 2014
    Not perfect, but still pretty darn funny. It's crude, rude, occasionally offensive, often disgusting, and totally inappropriate. It often trips and stumbles over itself, but when the stars are making fun of themselves and their careers it's not hard to laugh. Admittedly a lot of the shock-humor moments fall short, but the cameos make up for it. Overall I enjoyed laughing at it. even if itNot perfect, but still pretty darn funny. It's crude, rude, occasionally offensive, often disgusting, and totally inappropriate. It often trips and stumbles over itself, but when the stars are making fun of themselves and their careers it's not hard to laugh. Admittedly a lot of the shock-humor moments fall short, but the cameos make up for it. Overall I enjoyed laughing at it. even if it isn't always the funniest movie out there. Expand
  33. Jun 28, 2014
    This Is The End is a pretty funny horror comedy that features a decent spate of jokes along side some genuine scares. That said, the film also misses a few crucial shots and comes off a little too self-satisfied. It's fun entertainment but no classic.
  34. Aug 19, 2014
    Absolutely atrocious. No thought of effort went into this. Famous potheads ad-libbing does not make an interesting film. Very lazy. One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time.
  35. Dec 18, 2013
    This is the End is very certainly a fun and entertaining film, providing plenty of laughs and amusing celebrity cameos. Even though I liked the film, it is definitely flawed; some of the humour fell flat (most of them worked though), I didn't necessarily care for any of the characters (actors) and there is plenty of cheap CG. But in the end (pun intended), This is the End is an enjoyableThis is the End is very certainly a fun and entertaining film, providing plenty of laughs and amusing celebrity cameos. Even though I liked the film, it is definitely flawed; some of the humour fell flat (most of them worked though), I didn't necessarily care for any of the characters (actors) and there is plenty of cheap CG. But in the end (pun intended), This is the End is an enjoyable comedy that is worth watching, even if it is flawed. Expand
  36. Aug 31, 2014
    Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ones, that come to you while having a drink with friends at a bar. Unlike this groups other films, the story and plot aren't the focus here. This Is The End features a ton of Hollywood's top comedic stars, playing extremely stereotypical version of themselves. Their characters are based on rumors, gossip, and over exaggerations of their trueSometimes the best ideas are the simplest ones, that come to you while having a drink with friends at a bar. Unlike this groups other films, the story and plot aren't the focus here. This Is The End features a ton of Hollywood's top comedic stars, playing extremely stereotypical version of themselves. Their characters are based on rumors, gossip, and over exaggerations of their true persona's, resulting in a hilarious film, that not only delighted their fans, but also gave a huge middle finger to the paparazzi. The film starts with Jay Baruchel visiting Seth Rogen in L.A. Baruchel, a notorious introvert, wants to stay in, but Rogen wants to go to James Franco's housewarming party. Reluctantly the pair agree to go to the big time Hollywood shindig, when the fun is interrupted by the apocolypse, and I don't mean a zombie one, the actual end of the world. The pampered actors find themselves in a fight for survival in the home of James Franco. The whole cast was hilarious and while watching it you realize that the characters they develop really aren't that dissimilar from who they really are. Jay Baruchel surprised me, as I knew very little about him, besides his awkward performance in She's Out of League. I haven't really seen him as more than a ancillary character, and it was really fun to see him fit in with the gang. Rogen, Hill, Franco, and Robinson don't disappoint, giving you exactly what you'd expect from them, and unfortunately so does Danny McBride. I really don't get the appeal of this guy! He is way over the top, super annoying, and just a big dumb redneck, that just doesn't seem to fit in with the likes of these comedic geniuses. If I had the choice I'd much rather have had Michael Cera or Paul Rudd trapped with them instead of McBride, who didn't get more than an annoyed grunt out of me. This Is The End is a very funny film, wrapped in an awful story, but it gives great insight into the personalities of some of our favorite actors and that really is the whole point of this film. It's just one of those things that either you'll get it and love it, or you won't. Expand
  37. Dec 9, 2013
    Starts off well, but by the middle I wish this movie was at its end. The story is actually pretty boring. I found myself drifting off, not even realizing what was happening. Something about the direction was unappealing, and it just was not as funny as it could have been.
  38. Sep 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You could see that this movie reflected the same emptyness as the actors lives it was based on. I admit its a great movie if your high on pot or drunk or just stupid. But you know the actor writer is completely bankrupt of any creativity and ideas when they resort to sheer shock value and star power for the whole movie.

This movie is definitely a Jump the Shark moment for Seth Rogen and his crew, unfortunately, just the feel goods self affirmation this will give stoners of their lives will make all the potheads give it good reviews, if youre anyone else this movie will be something worth skipping
  39. Feb 1, 2014
    Now when a bunch of celebrities meet up, dope themselves to mammoth highs, and then decide to have a whale of a time by making a fully ad-libbed film, who am I to bash them? It’s just that the yield of this frenzy cannot possible be enjoyed as long as the same jag isn’t reached by the audiences. Thus, if drugs aren’t your cup of tea, This Is the End won’t be either. Scatological humour,Now when a bunch of celebrities meet up, dope themselves to mammoth highs, and then decide to have a whale of a time by making a fully ad-libbed film, who am I to bash them? It’s just that the yield of this frenzy cannot possible be enjoyed as long as the same jag isn’t reached by the audiences. Thus, if drugs aren’t your cup of tea, This Is the End won’t be either. Scatological humour, downright terrible special effects, unbearable cheesiness, and drugs and gore in superfluous abundance pile up to one of the hugest disappointments the film year 2013 has held for me. Expand
  40. Jun 21, 2013
    This Is the End is one of the best comedies I've watched in a long time. It's basically celebrities (comedians in particular) playing themselves, making fun of themselves, during the apocalypse. There are some of the best cameos around, and right off the bet there's a joke about Seth Rogen. Every star gets their fair share of screen time and has a personality established for them. This isThis Is the End is one of the best comedies I've watched in a long time. It's basically celebrities (comedians in particular) playing themselves, making fun of themselves, during the apocalypse. There are some of the best cameos around, and right off the bet there's a joke about Seth Rogen. Every star gets their fair share of screen time and has a personality established for them. This is by no means a comedy for the mature, there are penis jokes galore, but the cast is so damn funny you'll smile throughout the entire movie and have tons of laughs. The overall message is pretty simple and the movie is somewhat predictable, but at the end of the day I went to this movie to laugh, and I laughed my ass off and it's been one of the best crude comedies I've seen in a long time. Expand
  41. Feb 20, 2014
    A pile of steaming crap, sadly. It's just a hall of fame (sort of) of good to 'meh' actors or producers (writers, nobodies, etc.) having fun in a movie that has a plot written on glass of water's coaster - because the person who wrote this hack must be as boring as someone who drinks the same liquid he pisses into.
    $32.000.000 budget movie with 95% spent on convincing people they will not
    $32.000.000 budget movie with 95% spent on convincing people they will not blow their career's path or, maybe for the desperate ones, making it any better.

Anybody and i repeat, anybody giving this puke puddle more than a 7 isn't probably a human being because being drunk and/or stupid and/or a fanboy can be an excuse but even the 3 combined couldn't reach the level of foulness it requires to glorify this mistake.

It makes me sick that this .. THING won awards, ergh.
  42. Jun 15, 2013
    The most peculiar and odd film out there. This makes Franco's Spring Breakers look almost normal. Certainly not the movie you would expect by looking at the movie posters. Cameos and decent performances make this story an enjoyable one. Some of the humor though kinda turned me off but that is just personal taste. The movie is good and a lot of the humor is spot on. Leave the kids at homeThe most peculiar and odd film out there. This makes Franco's Spring Breakers look almost normal. Certainly not the movie you would expect by looking at the movie posters. Cameos and decent performances make this story an enjoyable one. Some of the humor though kinda turned me off but that is just personal taste. The movie is good and a lot of the humor is spot on. Leave the kids at home and enjoy this one, just keep an open mind. Expand
  43. Oct 5, 2013
    This movie was better than expected, though not spectacular by any means. The star-power alone should be enough to draw interest, and I mean... EMMA WATSON. Although I wish Aziz had a more of a role since I do like him as a comedian. Often funny (sometimes not so much) and some good over-the-top but in a good way scenarios, this is definitely a funny enough movie to watch if you're lookingThis movie was better than expected, though not spectacular by any means. The star-power alone should be enough to draw interest, and I mean... EMMA WATSON. Although I wish Aziz had a more of a role since I do like him as a comedian. Often funny (sometimes not so much) and some good over-the-top but in a good way scenarios, this is definitely a funny enough movie to watch if you're looking for some laughs. Expand
  44. Feb 14, 2014
    As a whole I though it was enjoyable, but perhaps a bit too over the top at times.

The first two thirds of the movie are priceless, filled with funny as hell moments that make this movie worth seeing. But the last third and it start going a bit on the stupid side, practically shattering the vibe set before. Overall: While I was disappointed with the end, I still though it was fun to

Overall:
    While I was disappointed with the end, I still though it was fun to watch.

Side Note:
    Emma Watson kicks ass! A shame she wasn't in it more.
  45. Jan 5, 2014
    The first 20 minutes or so was okay but not nearly good enough to justify the rest of the movie that followed. It was painfully long, unfunny, and predictable, completely failing at being a parody or whatever the hell it was trying to be.
  46. Jul 22, 2014
    what is this crap
    I gave in and watched this movie after seeing a lot of positive reviews. After finishing the movie I have yet to find a funny moment. Not to mention totally uncalled for offensive garbage that fails at humor.
  47. Aug 31, 2014
    Seriosly..this is a nice movie? Damn...

*************************************************************************************************************
  48. Nov 19, 2013
    Imagine all comedic actors, or at least a good portion of them, now, think of them reciting profanity in 2 hour movie, now, think of 'This Is The End'. Now, it's up to you to say if this is good or not.
  49. Oct 6, 2013
    You should know what you are getting into coming into this movie. It's not for the easily offended. On that hand it wasn't the best crude comedy I have ever seen. I guess I expected more from this movie or maybe I just missed some of it because I was intoxicated while watching (which should have made it better). It is just "one of those" movies. I did like that everyone played themselves,You should know what you are getting into coming into this movie. It's not for the easily offended. On that hand it wasn't the best crude comedy I have ever seen. I guess I expected more from this movie or maybe I just missed some of it because I was intoxicated while watching (which should have made it better). It is just "one of those" movies. I did like that everyone played themselves, that was really cool. I think they could have done better but it was a fairly good time anyway. Expand
  50. Rem
    Jun 1, 2014
    I'll be forthright with this, This Is the End needed more Michael Cera. Other than that, this movie's improvisation allowed the actors to be more free with their portrayals of themselves, which makes certain scenes, including the porno magazine, a laugher. However the movie could use less Jonah Hill, who just comes off as uninteresting and unfunny in the film.
  51. Jun 27, 2013
    It's a decent comedy, has a good number of laughs, but overall it's not at the level of the funniest movies. This is above average, nothing more nothing less!
  52. Dec 11, 2013
    So hilarious and very fun to watch. This movie had me and my family laughing so hard. it wasn't really what i thought it would be so it really took me by a whole lot of surprises. it was very random like a comedy movie should be for my taste of opinion.
  53. Jun 15, 2013
    Excerpt from the blog: 'Til Film Do Us Part
    Excerpt from the blog: 'Til Film Do Us Part

This is the End is a thinly written but hilarious comedy that examines how a group of celebrities would behave during the apocalypse. The writers and directors (Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen) have no intention of providing the audience with a thought-provoking story or complex characters. It seems that the main purpose of the movie is to simply make people laugh, and boy does it succeed.
  54. Jun 15, 2013
    Fun and funny movie. Very crude comedy but it was well done along with the plot of the story. Great chemistry between the actors and funny seeing celebrity die in funny ways.
  55. Jun 18, 2013
    This Is The End Review

This Is The End Review

An interesting concept for Seth Rogan's first attempt to direct a movie, which could really have been a hit or miss. End of the world movies usually fall flat (2012), but the all star cast managed to make a pretty good movie. The appeal of the movie for me is that everyone plays themselves. Seth Rogan is "Seth Rogan", Jonah Hill is "Jonah Hill" and so on. It works well for the most part, but some actors come of annoying. I can simply not stand Danny McBride, he just bothers me. He is the sole reason 30 Minutes Or Less was not a good movie. In this movie his only purpose is to be a dick to everyone and its not that funny. But thankfully Franco and Hill manage to keep the movie afloat. Their are several cameos in the movie which was cool, especially one toward the end. Their are several hilarious moments and small inserts of violence that felt a little to forward, but funny none the less. Theirs something about playing soccer with a decapitated head of man that just offered to f**k" Seth Rogan that's just perfect. The special effects are comically awful, which I feel was done on purpose. Craig Robinson was probably my favorite part about the movie, and has one of the funnier scenes at the beginning of the movie while singing with Rihanna. To be able to get all the references in movie you have to be familiar with some of actors pass works. Actually I would encourage to watch Pineapple Express before seeing this as it has a pretty large part in the movie. Overall my only real compliant is that I wish that they would have worked on McBrides dialogue in the movie. Although being a jerk was his role in the movie, they could have made it funnier. This Is a good movie that I recommend to see if you have seen Rogan's and Franco's past work. If not wait for the rental, your not missing out by not going to the theater.

8.3/10
  56. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I think this movie was just excellent and every man did a good job selling their own characters. The plot was pretty good I don't think that many film creators have thought of this idea. Of course the movie was super funny at parts but in other parts they tried to hard to be funny that it wasn't funny. My other complaints about this movie are that it had a lot of blood and gore. Although some of the parts that featured those things were really funny. I liked the fact that the movie had a lot of inside jokes between actors such as James Franco and Seth Rogen. It was also funny when many people didn't know who Jay Baruchel was due to the fact that he has only been in a few movies. Overall this movie was pretty great with a lot of laughs and creativity.
    Overall: 7.75/10
  57. Jun 22, 2013
    All of our favorite guys from the current generation of comics as themselves in a insane comedy. I really liked the movie because of the natural timing and skill of the cast. Some of the demon stuff was a little hokey, alright a lot hokey, but it was limited so it did not take away from the movie too much. The movie was not "scary" but my wife was more nervous during this than in World WarAll of our favorite guys from the current generation of comics as themselves in a insane comedy. I really liked the movie because of the natural timing and skill of the cast. Some of the demon stuff was a little hokey, alright a lot hokey, but it was limited so it did not take away from the movie too much. The movie was not "scary" but my wife was more nervous during this than in World War Z. It is worth the watch and I will be ready for Pineapple Express 2! Expand
  58. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not going to lie the ending sucks. But the first half was so good that I don't even care. Definitely worth checking out and probably the best comedy we'll see this summer. Expand
  59. Jul 2, 2013
    I laughed a lot and I enjoyed it, but I was a tiny bit disappointed. People raved about it, and I just didn't think it was THAT funny. Definitely above average, though.
  60. LTR
    Oct 5, 2013
    This is a funny movie about actors trying to survive the apocalypse.The story is good,all the actors are funny and is a interesting idea.The end is pretty good
  61. May 25, 2014
    ust an EPIC movie simple as that most fun iv'e had at the movie theaters this year by far. I have been waiting for this movie for about 6 now year back when it was called "Jay and Seth vs. the apocalypse". I'm so glad that it was made and it's really everything I thought it was going to be. Non stop laughing from start to finish and it has amazing main cast James Franco, Jonah Hill, Sethust an EPIC movie simple as that most fun iv'e had at the movie theaters this year by far. I have been waiting for this movie for about 6 now year back when it was called "Jay and Seth vs. the apocalypse". I'm so glad that it was made and it's really everything I thought it was going to be. Non stop laughing from start to finish and it has amazing main cast James Franco, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Danny McBride, Craig Robinson. I love all those guys and have watched movies with them in them multiple times.

Now the film opens up Seth Rogen picking up Jay Baruchel from the airport so they can chill and hang out together at Rogen' house. Then Rogen get's a call about a party over at James Franco's house Jay doesn't really want to go but they end up going anyway. While at the party you see LOADS of cameos from more amazing actors like Michael Cera, Emma Watson, Paul Rudd, Jason Segel and plenty more but Michael Cera stole every scene he was in. He was just a coked up party whore they whole time and everything he says and does was golden and had me laughing.

Jay ends up needing a pack of cigarettes so him and Seth walk to a nearby store when Jay again tries to go back to Seth's house and just chill and then BOOM everything starts go down earthquake, dark skies, people disappearing. They run back to Franco's house to see that nothing has happened and they try to tell people what going on but no one believes them until another earthquake happens and everyone runs outside to see what's going on. They see that LA is up in flames and there's no where to go that's when a hole starts to appear right in front of them killing some people while others just runs away and this is how we get are main cast. So they get all the food, drinks, drugs, and put them all in one place and they try to go to sleep for the night when they wake up the next morning they see Danny McBride cooking and eating all their remaining food. From here we see them doing crazy stuff like doing a homemade sequel of films that they have done so we see them do "Pineapple Express 2 Red's Revenge" that was just too funny they also get robbed by Emma Watson that part was great.

More crazy stuff happens but that's for you to find out when you watch this amazing movie also the ending was just pure amazingness.

Overall i give it a 8.0 for sure blu ray, for sure watching multiple times!!! can't wait
  62. Oct 25, 2013
    'This Is the End' has a quality to sit, perhaps a satirical point-of-view to the well dramatized biblical Apocalypse. Though its ridiculousness and flat irony about an Apocalypse is the main drive for this unconventional comedy, Rogen and Goldberg write a neatly balanced comedy with the ribaldry and the reactions of the disaster-riddled night of actors of Franco, Hill, Robinson, Baruchel,'This Is the End' has a quality to sit, perhaps a satirical point-of-view to the well dramatized biblical Apocalypse. Though its ridiculousness and flat irony about an Apocalypse is the main drive for this unconventional comedy, Rogen and Goldberg write a neatly balanced comedy with the ribaldry and the reactions of the disaster-riddled night of actors of Franco, Hill, Robinson, Baruchel, and especially McBride. All in all, a funny film that's worth a rewatch Expand
  63. Sep 7, 2013
    This movie was a train wreck! Seriously do not waste your time. 5 people got up and left the theater I was in. You know a movie has to be worthless if people are wasting their $9 that they spent and making for the exits. It was distasteful, the plot was scetchy, and it just looked poorly written. I had higher standards for the all star professional cast, but they all appeared as armaturesThis movie was a train wreck! Seriously do not waste your time. 5 people got up and left the theater I was in. You know a movie has to be worthless if people are wasting their $9 that they spent and making for the exits. It was distasteful, the plot was scetchy, and it just looked poorly written. I had higher standards for the all star professional cast, but they all appeared as armatures in a play made by stoned high schoolers. This is the End... of their careers, most likely. Expand
  64. Oct 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie has a few moments where i belly laughed. Michel Cera slapping Rihanna's ass was the definite high water mark but he was quickly phased out. There was too much filler and it seemed to slow down-speed up-slow down again awkwardly. Just not enough funny material. Other movies that use the same formula (actors using their real "self" are generally funny; especially Curb Your Enthusiasm. Too bad this isn't one of those movies we seem to get more out of the more times watched such as The Big Lebowski. Anyhow, its good once but I wont be watching again. Expand
  65. Oct 19, 2013
    I didn't go see the movie, just saw it on Pay per View. I give it a generous '1'. Seems like a group of people, who think they are funny, getting drunk and making each other laugh. I guess you had to be there, on this side of the screen, any laughter is non-existent for the most part. You know how your mother tries to be funny? Well, she does a better job. Next time, have someone elseI didn't go see the movie, just saw it on Pay per View. I give it a generous '1'. Seems like a group of people, who think they are funny, getting drunk and making each other laugh. I guess you had to be there, on this side of the screen, any laughter is non-existent for the most part. You know how your mother tries to be funny? Well, she does a better job. Next time, have someone else write the story, yawn...zzzzzzzzzzz Expand
  66. Nov 14, 2013
    A hilarious film which isn't anything special, but it delivers laughs. I mean ,the humor is the thing here, because it fails with the relatively generic plot. But a lot of surprises and a lot of laughs await in this solid movie.
    Don't except something ground-braking, because this movie honestly isn't. But if you like humor and weirdness, I recommend this movie. (Final Score: 6.95)
  67. Nov 3, 2013
    Some laughs, for sure. But a llot of idiotic dialogue in between. Would be mad if paid full theater prices. Some of the cameos by actors weren't too bad.
  68. May 10, 2014
    this film is not perfect but it is very funny and difrent to all comedy that i have seen abit strainge at times to but it works in the films favor and while at the begining in the party you do have to laught at all the faces that you seen and coments they make nothing special but not terible worth a watch
  69. Nov 28, 2013
    I feel like I should be enjoying it, but I just can't. The jokes only appeal to immature man-children and idiot teenagers. The entire movie is just "DRUGS R COOL XD" and a bunch of juvenile humour designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. An absolutely terrible movie; I had never been a fan of James Franco or Seth Rogen but this just cements my opinion of them being awful actors.
  70. Dec 23, 2013
    This movie was different from the others. It was total chaos but due to the cumulative magnitude of some of the best comedians, this movie was saved. Otherwise, it was ok...
  71. Dec 12, 2013
    To be honest, the jokes are mediocre and sometimes just stupid. I would only recommend this if you're a fan of these guys, then no doubt you'll like it.
  72. Jan 13, 2014
    I really like Jonah Hill, a great actor, has made many films that I liked, the good of this movie is that it has many well-known actors, this film also met Seth Rogen, too many unknowns, but the problem is that this film offends religion the other because I do not believe in paradise will have sex and drugs party, believe in paradise will be a place where only people who redeemed theirI really like Jonah Hill, a great actor, has made many films that I liked, the good of this movie is that it has many well-known actors, this film also met Seth Rogen, too many unknowns, but the problem is that this film offends religion the other because I do not believe in paradise will have sex and drugs party, believe in paradise will be a place where only people who redeemed their sins as they did go there, but I believe that getting there will not have this kind of thing as well? will commit the same sins again? Expand
  73. Jan 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I also thought this movie would be a winner considering the actors involved. However, I was truly disappointed and shocked at some scenes.

Any truly hilarious moments were completely overshadowed by scenes containing demons with large penis's, cum, and/or rape. The end segment in heaven softened the blow a little and there were some really funny moments but overall this was a disappointment. If they would have taken out the shocking scenes this movie would have been a winner but instead they choose to shock and awe which cost them some longtime fans.
  74. Apr 28, 2014
    the only good thing about this movie is that it's funny no more no less, the damn movie is very FUKIN bad it's so FUKIN shallow . i don't know why so many people like this sh!t but me i think It FUKIN SUCKED . DON'T WATCH THIS SH!T AND WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY . unless you are a guy who want to laugh and feel that bad taste after .
  75. Oct 11, 2014
    " Seth Rogan's directorial comedy is THE BEST OF THE CENTURY OF ALL COMEDIES ". fgjbhrngfsreionhfiugthhgbtugvbfyugvbugvbtnuygfbvuyvbrgvjbvuyfbvgyvfuibvgrhuybvyuhb
  76. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie does not have enough action and the humor is not so funny but there is some good parts and some funny moments.The worst part of the movie is at the end of the movie when they are in the heaven,this is so random.But it stays a good movie to watch. Expand
  77. Jul 4, 2014
    The first half was hard to watch - watching spoiled celebrity brats doing their spoiled celebrity things does not amuse me. However, the second half of "This Is the End" really turned the film into something hilarious and worth watching. The film's message is also surprisingly poignant, didn't expect that either.
  78. Oct 18, 2014
    Prometía poco al principio (estuve bastante serio durante los primeros 20 minutos), pero en cuanto llega el apocalipsis, la trama mejora mucho. Es muy absurda y excesivamente malhablada pero consigue hacer reír al fin y al cabo.
  79. Jul 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didnt expect much, very underrated movie, it was a great comedy. The chemistry was good, very absurd at the end, the cameo from tatum was **** genius Expand
  80. Jul 15, 2014
  81. Nov 23, 2014
    I think This is the End is a bit overrated. Apocalypse is a topic that has been covered over and over again in several genres of film, we have already all seen Zombieland. This movie is a little bit different but I just didn't really find it as funny as everyone else seemed too.
  82. Dec 10, 2014
    This Is The End - Comedy's Second Coming

This Is The End - Comedy's Second Coming

I don't remember the last time I laughed as hard at the movies as I did during "This Is The End", the new apocalyptic meta-comedy from writers/directors Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg. Certainly not during their last two outings, the horrendous alien spoof "The Watch" (which they co-wrote) or the loud and obnoxious "The Green Hornet" (which they co-wrote and co-directed), both of which made me wonder if the creative team behind classics "Pineapple Express" and "Superbad" was running out of inspiration. But just when the notion of another "arrested development" comedy focusing on middle-aged men who refuse to grow up (and one so full of itself that it doesn't even try to disguise its vanity, having the actors play themselves) made you throw up a little in your mouth, out comes "This Is The End", defying expectations by both satirizing and embracing the very genre its filmmakers originated.
    The plot is so simple it can be summarized in a single sentence: a bunch of popular comedians attempt (fruitlessly) to survive the apocalypse in James Franco's Hollywood house. The purposefully absurd plot doesn't matter though - it functions merely as an excuse for the actors to show off their individual comedic chops, and they do so with gusto. Everyone - and I mean EVERYone - makes an appearance, and even the tiniest cameo gets a laugh: Aziz Ansari's fall into the abyss; Christopher Mintz-Plasse's first time doing cocaine; David Krumholtz's final, desperate cry for help; and a very special cameo towards the end that I will not reveal, but I will say that he plays Danny McBride's leather-clad gimp, and whispers, "I love him", as he looks up at his master with a perfect combination of tenderness and fear. It all boils down to Baruchel, Rogen, Franco, McBride, Hill and Robertson, and the joys of watching this dysfunctional sextet make comedy magic, as they bicker and play and devise ridiculous plans.
    The title of the film can be interpreted in different ways, the most obvious being the literal one: the damn thing's about The End of Days According To The Bible. It's surprisingly scary for short periods of time; clearly Rogen & Goldberg are children of the 1980s, raised on horror-comedies like "Ghostbusters", which I believe they directly reference several times here (the horned dog-monster looks like an upgraded version of the demonic hellhound from Reitman's classic).
    The title may refer to the contemporary soulless state of society, as seen here through the distorted prism of the mega-rich and privileged, yet hopelessly clueless, Hollywood celebrities. The gimmick - that they play themselves - works in the film's favor; within the first five minutes Rogen takes a stab at his own cinematic persona by having a paparazzi inquire whether or not the actor will ever actually "act", and then insistently urge him to "do the Rogen laugh". Everyone else in the film, to varying degrees, is either obnoxious, shallow or innocuous. At one point, a conversation takes place about whether or not celebrities even deserve to go to heaven, for they are sinful by definition. Heady stuff, especially for a comedy in which one of the main characters is savagely molested by Satan Himself.
    "This Is The End" could also imply that this motion picture marks the end of the aforementioned "arrested development" comedy sub-genre. After films like "Knocked Up", "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Cyrus", "Step Brothers", "Get Him to the Greek" and the dreadful "That's My Boy" seemed to have covered all bases, "This Is The End" takes the best aspects of those films and amplifies them exponentially. You want a five-minute heated argument about ejaculation? The Franco vs. McBride gut-busting exchange will be hard to top. How about an obligatory "tripping on hallucinogenics" sequence? The cliche is subverted by having our protagonists resort to ecstasy in the midst of armageddon. And Michael Cera - the ultimate man-child - plays a crass, coked-up version of himself, defying every preconceived notion we may have of the actor. His comic timing is impeccable.
    The jokes, puns and visual gags hit a lot more often than they miss, the actors are all having a blast, and the film manages to achieve that rare fine balance between blockbuster entertainment and indie movie sensibilities. It's a vanity project that brims with energy, enthusiasm, crazy ideas and brilliant timing. "This Is The End" is truly the comedy to end all comedies about stagnant adolescence; hopefully, it will pave the way to a new era of more mature, character-based drollery.
  83. Jul 26, 2015
    Really funny movie and the cast was amazing! The plot is really dumb but that's the whole point! Recommended for someone who wants some brainless comedy!
  84. May 13, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Either I did not understand the deeper message of the movie or there is none. I guess, it's the latter...

It's pretty much the **** worst movie I've ever watched. I don't understand how well known and popular actors like James Franco, Channing Tatum (in a more than just degrading roll), hell, Emma Watson (who actually did pretty well during the few seconds that she appeared) could be willing to take part in such a gigantic load of crap. Furthermore I don't understand how people can find things as embarrassing and low down as this (e.g. a heavy argument about jerking off everywhere of about 2 minutes or more, a demon literally **** his soul into one of the protagonists...) at least a little bit funny...

I mean, admittedly, I chuckled once or twice but during the rest of the movie I was just sitting there facepalming and head-shaking and thinking what the **** am I watching here... Hangover 2 should have won an Oscar compared to this. And after watching Hangover 2 I thought it couldn't get any worse (I don't want to see shemale schlongs in cinema!!!).

How stoned does one have to be to create such a ****
  85. Jun 26, 2015
    I did really enjoy this movie when I first watched it. Then upon more viewings.. This movie is very tiring, long and honestly very boring. Halfway through the second viewing, I didnt care much for it.
  86. Jan 7, 2016
    One of the funniest movies I've seen in a while! Great guest appearances and Laugh-out-Loud funny. I would consider this one of Seth Rogan's best films after Superbad.
  87. Aug 31, 2015
    Bottom line: This is the End is why I rarely watch comedies; what began as a solidly funny movie, slowly but surely (in almost a linear fashion) became one of the most irritating things I’ve ever seen.

With regard to comedies, I am turning into a damaged lover. Every time I warm up to one and let my guard down, I end up disappointed, frustrated, and confused. Maybe, somehow, I am picking all the bad comedies and missing the good ones.

This is the End has some great qualities and it had the potential to be really, really funny. The star-studded cast members all play caricatures of themselves: Jonah Hill is disconcertingly nice, Michael Cera is doing coke, James Franco is obsessed with his movies and friendship with Seth Rogan, etc. They are able to make fun of themselves with each other and I liked that. I also liked the structure of the jokes. The delivery is almost mechanical and the punch lines are predictable, which isn’t the normal recipe for a joke. Normally, I would think a natural smooth delivery would be better, but somehow it works. It’s almost as if we are watching a comedy duo perform a standup routine. The camera is fixed as the characters banter back and forth
    The banter is simply two friends alternating between setups and punch lines and the simplicity makes it work. If only they stopped while they were ahead. I would’ve really loved this movie if the jokes were consistently this funny. In the initial stages of the movie, the cast doesn’t feel the need to beat a joke to death. This is the End was almost cruel in that once things start to go downhill, there are still funny jokes sprinkled throughout serving as a reminder of what the movie could’ve been.

In terms of story, the two friends go to James Franco’s new house for a big party. Before too long an Earthquake ends the party and a sinkhole opens outside the house. There is chaos and confusion while the group tries to figure out what is going on. It is the Biblical end of times, they eventually conclude.
    It seems like once the Armageddon plot begins, the movie really starts to go downhill. The jokes are excessively long and are mostly about masturbation and penises. I am all for profanity but the characters use the f word as a comma making the dialog more tiring than edgy. The movie devolves from a comedy about movie stars to just another frat-boy joke fest.

As this is the Apocalypse, the “good people” go to Heaven before fire and brimstone start falling. The characters may not have ascended but still live, so they have a chance to make amends. By the end of the hour and a half ordeal, This is the End still has the opportunity to makes amends but, not surprisingly, it fails. Two of the characters are flying into the blinding white sky past the clouds. We could’ve just faded to black and to the credits. Nope. Alright, now the two characters are dressed in white, skipping in the clouds with a rainbow in the background. It could’ve freeze-framed as they could jumping and laughing. Nope. The camera cuts over to show the golden gates of Heaven. The gates open to another blinding white light. Again, the movie could’ve faded to the credits. Instead, we meet with another character who presents two halos to his friends. He says “Welcome to Heaven…” and looks over his shoulder. The camera moves into the clouds. This is the last chance for the movie to end reasonably. We could’ve faded to the credits and left Heaven up to the audiences’ imagination. Nope. The movie just had to take a shot at the realization of eternal paradise: there are roller-coasters in the background, unlimited drinks, weed and women dancing in bikinis. “You can have anything you want. Just make a wish,” the one person explains.

I wish they went over the top with Heaven and ended the movie sooner. For example, the camera could’ve flown through the clouds to a reveal a couple dozen beautiful women. One of the guys could’ve said, “Wow, they were right after all.” It would’ve been stupid and offensive but so offensive that it would be funny. This is just a generic, dumb male fantasy about what would be awesome to have for eternity. But wait, there’s more! This is the End has almost a supernatural instinct about how to get worse.

If you’ve read any of my other reviews, you might recall that I generally dislike children in movies but I haven’t mentioned how much I hate comedic dancing sequences. Am I supposed to laugh at the characters because they can’t dance? If they are trying, we ought not hold it against them. I don’t always dance but when I do I try and, let me tell you, it feels awful to be mocked for trying. I don’t feel involved because I would much rather be dancing than watching people dance. These types of sequences are always too silly: pelvic thrusts do not a funny movie make.

If you feel compelled to watch this movie, rent it and put it on during a party. Other activities will distract everyone enough to leave this movie to fade into the background.
  88. Nov 19, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a stoner movie for the people who love Seth Rogan and the people who would be B actors.

There are moments that are funny; the sequel to Pine Apple Express

The plot of Jay being not-so-welcomed by Seth's Holly Wood friends... kind of gives the impression that being unaccepted because of weird standards is a sin? Not explaining why all the celebrities were all not raptured was weird.

It's entertaining, but nothing to write a review about, wait....
  89. Dec 3, 2015
    Funniest movie of the year hands down. Amazingly fun and funny. A must watch for everyone.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-1961359-This-Is-the-End-online-free
  90. Dec 30, 2015
    Probably the most self-indulgent wank in movie history, yet on occasion it's hilarious.

Watch this here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1ded8f-This-Is-the-End-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
  91. Jan 11, 2016
    The rude, vulgar language and the hilarious plot makes this movie a joy to watch. A great cast portraying themselves in over exaggerated ways and cameos of great actors and actresses. This movie has a delightful mix of wit,humour and stupidity. All in all a enjoyable movie.

1. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Jul 3, 2013
    This apocalypse isn’t a nightmare so much as the ultimate bromantic fantasy, one in which – with the removal of any responsibility – the boys are free to bicker, banter, and bed down together.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Huddleston
    Jun 29, 2013
    No comedy classic, then, but a good natured and engaging slice of goonish self-mockery.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 29, 2013
    Some funny stuff, but a rental/download only.