- Starring: George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg
- Summary: A small group of adventurous American soldiers (Clooney, Whalberg, Ice Cube, Jonze) in Iraq at the end of the Gulf War is determined to steal a huge cache of gold reputed to be hidden somewhere near their desert base. Finding a map they believe will take them to the gold, the soldiers embark on a journey that leads to unexpected discoveries, enabling them to rise to a heroic challenge that drastically changes their lives. (Warner Brothers)… Collapse
- Director: David O. Russell
- Genre(s): Action, Adventure, Drama, Comedy, War
- More Details and Credits »
KennedyB.10The 3rd best film of 1999(next to American Beauty and Magnolia).
sethw9Damn good movie. interesting and different. probably to much so for some people.
JimH.9I just watched this for the second time (2006) against the backdrop of current events (ie. resistance to, support for ongoing war vs. terror). Yoon C (and detractors among the metacritics), while your comments are intelligent and incisive, I would argue that this movie is great precisely because it plays (and I mean, plays) along all those lines without telling you what to think. If anything it shows that all people's opinions are ridiculous and it imposes none of its own. It sounds to me like you are looking for a movie to tell you what to think of war in Iraq (that is, to tell you "war is hell" or something like that - the message you are expecting becausue you've already heard it in other movies and novels). Whatever else you say about this, it's a war movie unlike any other. It rocks first and foremost, but it also socks and it even (dare I say) does make you think. And it's still relevant seven years later, in ways that it was not when it was made. That anticipatory quality makes it much more artful than the huge majority of "deep" arthouse movies with a moral agenda. Maybe the best thing about it is that it gets the Schwarzenegger-set to watch and rewatch a movie where a child cries over her dead mother, where men are torn by morally ambiguity, where in the end we are at least given an inkling of how hard it is to "do the right thing."… Expand
Published: August 3, 2010The co-stars of this week's "The Other Guys" are hoping that the new action-comedy breaks them out of a slump. We look at the best and worst films of their careers to date.