8.1

1. Jul 9, 2014
    Titanic has stunning visual effects and wonderful acting from the versatile cast. Dicaprio, Winslet, Zane and
    Bates give brilliant performances. The movie has action, drama, romance, and suspense. There's nothing
    more that a filmgoer could ask for.
  2. CorinnaW.
    Jan 3, 2007
    I can't believe some people don't like this film. It is timeless, I have seen it at least 15 times and would gladly watch it another 30 (I probably will). One of the rare movies that can make me cry every time. However, it is not the "I'll never let go" part that sets me off...it's the old people cuddling in bed and the mother reading one last story to her I can't believe some people don't like this film. It is timeless, I have seen it at least 15 times and would gladly watch it another 30 (I probably will). One of the rare movies that can make me cry every time. However, it is not the "I'll never let go" part that sets me off...it's the old people cuddling in bed and the mother reading one last story to her children..because you know then that they have lost all hope. Truly beautiful. Expand
  3. Apr 1, 2011
    James Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive production of all time. The plot tells of a poor steerage passenger named Jack Dawson who forms a romantic relationship with first class passenger Rose DeWittJames Cameron's 1997 movie epic garnered instant acclaim upon release, grossed over 1 billion dollars at the box office (Avatar would beat this record over a decade later) and was given the dubious honor of being the most expensive production of all time. The plot tells of a poor steerage passenger named Jack Dawson who forms a romantic relationship with first class passenger Rose DeWitt Bukater onboard the "unsinkable" RMS Titanic. The film focuses mainly on the relationship between the duo up until the point the great ship strikes an iceberg and sinks rapidly, transforming it into a typical big budget summer blockbuster that tries to be more than just popcorn entertainment. The acting is decent, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet giving dramatic performances that are fueled by the romance between the two. Billy Zane is also good as Cal Hockley, a wealthy tycoon who plans to marry Rose. Overall, the film is good but one major complaint must be addressed. I think that the film uses one of the greatest tragedies in history to its advantage just a bit too much. Of course, Cameron had been on dives to the real wreck of the actual ship himself during filming and was very much moved by it, but his feelings and emotions towards the events are not portrayed very well on film. As is typical with many Hollywood epics, a small proportion of the what happens during the sinking is historically inaccurate but apart from that it leaves an overwhelming sense of grief upon you. Actually, that grief may be the reason why the film has received so much backlash in recent years, because the first time you see it, men and women will get teary-eyed in the end, but after a number of times it just isn't the same and you wish you were seeing it for the first time instead. All in all, a masterpiece as a standalone disaster film but a tad disappointing as a historically accurate Titanic film. If you wish to see a factual version, the 1958 film A Night to Remember may be more your cup of tea. Expand
  4. Nov 2, 2011
    Titanic is a movie merging two characters coming from completely different social backgrounds on the ill-fated ship. I don't understand why lots of people didn't like this movie. Q: Why is it such a "sappy" love story?
    A: It's a trick used to make us love the main characters, so that when one of them dies, we feel sadness for all the other people that died with the ship.
    Q: Why such a

Q: Why such a terrible script?
    A: Seriously? It's brilliantly written. In fact, it closely has some of the aspects that the blockbuster "Inception" contains. You have to look closer than the dialogue and the actions of the story. Writing a screenplay is a very hard job. You have to symbolize with almost everything. You have to feel what the characters are feeling and how they would react to certain situations. Plus, there it has a pretty big plot behind it (you've got the heart of the ocean, the painting, the whistle, the hair pin, etc) that has to be weaved together... and this can be a VERY messy process that takes a LONG time to clean up. It's a slap in the face when someone says your work, in which you worked five years on, is horrible.

Q: Why the best picture?
    A: Come on, it was the 90's. In that decade, picture wasn't that great considering it was VHS. And when they talk about best picture, they don't just talk about how HD the film is. They talk about the colors, the cinematography, the lighting, etc.

Q: Why the cheesy dialogue?
    A: Okay, try writing a play right now. What would you say if you were in water BELOW FREEZING and you knew you were going to die. What would you say to your lover? It's not cheesy, and it's not dumb. It's well thought out. I have to go through my written dialogue many times before it seems right. The dialogue also has to move the story forward, which is what happened in the film. Q: Wow, there's no action before the sinking. Why?
    A: What if Titanic was written differently? Maybe it introduces a thief on the ship who tries to kill everyone on board, and actually knocked the captain off the ship and drove it into the iceberg? It would be completely stupid. It doesn't follow history. Now, I know Jack and Rose are both fictitious characters, but there were many people on board the ship that had relationships. It's not like they knew the Titanic was going to sink and broke up so that it wasn't as depressing...

I'd just like to say that lots of people under-rate Titanic because it's a romance. Come on, there's actually a penis joke during a dinner scene. People are way to picky. You wanted to see a film of a ship sinking, and that's what you got. I give this film a 9/10.
  5. KonradR.
    May 2, 2003
    From the opening shots of Titanic in harbour, to the final fade out, the sheer size, grandeur and realism had me completely absorbed in it. Cameron's only mistake was not hiring a professional screen writer. Technically, and visually, it is nothing short of a masterpiece. It amuses me how Steve began by saying it is one of the worst films he has ever seen, then going on to say it is From the opening shots of Titanic in harbour, to the final fade out, the sheer size, grandeur and realism had me completely absorbed in it. Cameron's only mistake was not hiring a professional screen writer. Technically, and visually, it is nothing short of a masterpiece. It amuses me how Steve began by saying it is one of the worst films he has ever seen, then going on to say it is a visual masterpiece. Fair enough, a movie cannot rely on visual attraction, but surely if it is a masterpiece in any area it cannot be one of the worst movies ever made! Of course, you are probably the type of person that gives "Freddy Got Fingered" ten. Expand
  6. IlzeS
    Dec 1, 2004
    This movie is awesome & brilliant. I think that Titanic is one of the best movies ever made. Movies like ?Lord of the Rings? trilogy is very empty. Titanic is a classical love story, but I like great effects in movie. Also I think that LOTR never will not be a true good movie, but Titanic is movie that takes you, you experience it, not like other movies. I watched it 10 times!
  7. Kims
    Jan 7, 2008
    to all you people who claim its bad, only because you dont like romance or that it wasn't actiony enough for you: dont comment on how good a movie it is if you cant stand apart from personal opinion. its a damn good movie and even if you don't like romance or epic 11 TIME OSCAR WINNERS -may i point out-you have to admit its amazing. i love it and will always love it.
  8. ConradR.
    Jul 9, 2001
    Visual masterpiece which is one of a few historical movies which actually gets the facts right. Unfortunately, the movie editing is bad, and a vital piece is cut out where Jack is helped up onto the first class deck - as portrayed in the movie: it is impossible for him to wander around the ship as he pleases.
  9. conners
    Jan 4, 2008
    This is by far the best movie ever made! he acting is amazing and the effects are perfect and the score is lifealtering. you will cry your heart out! the movie will change your life. after seeing it, i was numb and cried every time someone even mentioned titanic....... and i am a 14 year old boy! best movie ever!
  10. JasonP.
    Apr 16, 2008
    This is the best movie ever. Those who say that it's horrible, are just people without feelings. If you are sentimental, you love love stories, you will definetily will love this movie. Kate ands Leonardo are just great. The whole movie is great. The best of all times.
  11. EveningSun
    May 25, 2004
    The greatest fictional love story of all time, and definitely the best motion picture of 1997. In fact, it deserves every single one of the 11 Oscars it got.
  12. Jun 25, 2012
    A friend asked me, Will the movie look exactly the same as 1997s version? . I spontaneously told him, Well, the ship will still be sinking. Ha ha
  13. Apr 14, 2012
    The 3D doesn't matter. I mean it's the best that your going to get from post conversion but it's nothing special. What's special is this masterpiece back on the big screen where it belongs. If I had the money to blow I could watch this 3 hour picture perfect film over and over again. The sound and the big screen are enough. If you haven't seen it in theaters watch it before it's gone!
  14. Jun 9, 2013
    I remember watching this movie on VHS when it first came out and my sisters and I watched it twice in the first day we owned. A must see romance movie and suprisingly rather good.
  15. Aug 3, 2012
    What a romantic and sad but bombastic peace of drama this movie is. Sometimes it just all comes together and you are taken away ti a different world by a movie and this is a perfect example of that. Di caprio's best movie for me. He's so perfectly made for the part of young guy who feels true love for the first time and the drama that splashes it all away in the end. The finale of theWhat a romantic and sad but bombastic peace of drama this movie is. Sometimes it just all comes together and you are taken away ti a different world by a movie and this is a perfect example of that. Di caprio's best movie for me. He's so perfectly made for the part of young guy who feels true love for the first time and the drama that splashes it all away in the end. The finale of the movie shows us the most sad image ever shown BY FAR (of 2 old people holding on 2 each other coz they lose the fight with he water first))is just emotional perfection. Awesome peace of history-telling. SEE IT! Expand
  16. Dec 7, 2012
    Unbelievable movie. I think everybody should go back to when he first watched this movie and no judge after watching it several times . Great love story that cannot be repeated in any other movie!
  17. Mar 24, 2013
    A heart throbbing movie with enchanting music and amazing effects. The storyline was near perfect and was tear-jerking for many of its viewers. James Cameron rarely disappoints his audience.
  18. Apr 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Titanic: an epic masterpiece of cinema to say the least. Not to mention THE MOVIE people love to hate, because for whatever reason pretentious people can't stand the idea that the greatest film can also be the most popular. Titanic is my favorite movie of all time, and in my modest opinion the best movie ever made. The acting regardless of what people say is brilliant. Leo and Kate have excellent chemistry and were both perfect choices for their roles. Billy Zane plays a perfect high class villain. And, who could forget the tender and touching performance of the late Gloria Stuart. The movie is historically accurate to the last detail (up to that point) and if you disagree, you don't know the titanic yourself. James Cameron had the top titanic historians on set at all times, as well as early 20th century etiquette experts training 150 permanent extras on behavior and mannerisms. Not to mention the brilliant set pieces and cinematography! The full sized set of the ship was the icing, and not a dollar of his record breaking budget was misspent. From the eerie opening dive scene, to the sunny days at sea meeting the characters, to the captivating and dramatic sinking scene, and of course the famous ending kiss atop the grand staircase, titanic is an experience. An experience of love, greed, class separation, dreams, loss, and closure: things that the audience can still relate to 100 years after the origina of the film. You aren't human if you didn't shed a tear at this film, because like it or not it's hear wrenching. All in all, this film is beautiful. Despite what you may think, it won 11 Oscars for a reason, and is a must see for film for people of all ages (after all, it's been my favorite film since I was 3). Expand
  19. Mar 29, 2014
    Titanic is easily James Cameron's best movie, and it earns this with flying colors. The movie is beautifully shot, frame-by-frame, paying careful attention to detail; Leo and Kate's performances are some of cinema's most memorable; and the musical score is mesmerizing. With some of the most memorable lines in cinematic history and true beauty, Titanic deserves its Best Picture Oscar entirely.
  20. Oct 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Titanic is one of those movies that touches you, it is a great romance movie that possibly everyone had a love at first sight, it's has great scenes of action and some 18+ scenes as well. Overall a great movie that is also the 2nd best selling movie and with a witness telling her story Expand
  21. Mar 11, 2014
    i love james camerons creativity in avatar and titanic . james cameron makes a movie while finding the real titanic it builds up to an adventure . and the fact the boat is sinking thats the best part of all
  22. Jun 26, 2014
    Beautiful movie....

This movie is the greatest in Romantic genre.

Perfect movie by James Cameroon.

Perfect acting by Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet
  23. Nov 5, 2014
    This movie is simply beautiful. It was well written and had great actors in it and most of all it captures the audience watching it. It is long, however it's definitely worth every minute of it. I'm likely a little biased since my birthday is April 14, the same day that it crashed, but trying to be as little biased as possible I would have to recommend this movie to anybody looking for aThis movie is simply beautiful. It was well written and had great actors in it and most of all it captures the audience watching it. It is long, however it's definitely worth every minute of it. I'm likely a little biased since my birthday is April 14, the same day that it crashed, but trying to be as little biased as possible I would have to recommend this movie to anybody looking for a good movie to watch. It's definitely a classic and will go down in history as a great movie. Expand
  24. Mar 17, 2015
    This movie generally sucked. It is the most overrated movie of all time next to Frozen, Toy Story 3 and The Social Network. The script, acting, love story and characters are all complete garbage. The visuals and Titanic sinking part are kinda cool though. Stay away from this movie. And why did it win 11 oscars?!
  25. Mar 18, 2015
    Okay, now to be honest, this movie is fine but the mistakes or crap were:
    1. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet make an awful couple.
    2. Some parts were boring. The only thing I like is the Ship R.M.S. Titanic sinking but I hate to see a lot of people died. The lines were okay. The graphics are great, especially in 3D. The characters were kinda dumb (except for the real people: Captain
    Okay, now to be honest, this movie is fine but the mistakes or crap were:
    1. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet make an awful couple.
    2. Some parts were boring.
    The only thing I like is the Ship R.M.S. Titanic sinking but I hate to see a lot of people died. The lines were okay. The graphics are great, especially in 3D. The characters were kinda dumb (except for the real people: Captain Smith, Officers, John Jacob Astor, etc.) but dumb cause of awful couple.
  26. Aug 14, 2013
    The main reason everybody likes this movie is because of the last 30 minutes where the boat sinks, it's awesome but that means the rest of the movie is irrelevant. Leonardo Di Caprio and Kate Winslet are a terrible couple and the only chemistry is between the ship and the iceberg.
  27. KaitlynnH.
    Oct 20, 2008
    This movie was a good makeing. It really explains true love. But it also makes you think twice before getting on a ship or a boat in the icey waters.
  28. Mar 26, 2012
    Titanic is a superb masterpiece of epic porportions. Titanic is perfect. Great Story, great acting, wonderfully crafted and music that is one of a kind. You don't just watch Titanic you feel it, the hardships, the losses and the romance. James Cameron has made one of the best movies of all time. Epic is just the tip of the iceberg for Titanic. (no pun intented)
  29. Nov 2, 2010
    Titanic is the movie which really made me respect James Cameron as a film maker. He had made excellent movies before such as Terminator 1 and 2, True Lies, and Aliens, but Titanic is really different. Here he offers excellent and believable characters, stunning visuals and a compelling story. This movie is truly a 10!
  30. BillS
    Sep 14, 2009
    this movie is THE BEST FILM IN THE HISTORY OF MOTION PICTURES. oh and stephen B, feel free to hit me up so i can beat your faggot ass to pieces for disrespecting the best movie of all time. man up or shut the fuck up you faggot nobody.
  31. Oct 30, 2010
    to fans of James Cameron, what could possibly go wrong? its an awesome movie of all time.
  32. May 13, 2013
    The story of the Titanic is well known and so the backing plot will not come as a surprise. However the Writers thought that they had to MAKE a story to make the film. This consisted in a Terrible Love story, Weak characters and a stupid run time. The performances, cinematography and special effects were good. But the character development was rubbish and I really did not get emotionalThe story of the Titanic is well known and so the backing plot will not come as a surprise. However the Writers thought that they had to MAKE a story to make the film. This consisted in a Terrible Love story, Weak characters and a stupid run time. The performances, cinematography and special effects were good. But the character development was rubbish and I really did not get emotional involved with anyone. There was no real suspense which I know can be done in a film like this if the characters get under your skin. I would have prefered to stay more with the people who were left to die rather than see the film through the eyes of the Gentry aboard the HMS Titanic. The scene with Rose and Jack and the painting... What was the point? did we need to have it other than just to make it news worthy. I cannot believe that this film grossed as much as it did. People went Back to see it. Was there something they missed? Maybe they went back to search for a plot but that went down with the ship. Expand
  33. Feb 10, 2013
    A silly unrealistic and inaccurate sappy love story. I never really have understood why it is so critically acclaimed. Luckily critics and people have seen this fact to (with it's scores that dropped on rotten tomatoes after it was re-released in 3D). A lot of people say that this film features a "classic" love story but there's nothing "classic" about it. Star-crossed lovers that couldn'tA silly unrealistic and inaccurate sappy love story. I never really have understood why it is so critically acclaimed. Luckily critics and people have seen this fact to (with it's scores that dropped on rotten tomatoes after it was re-released in 3D). A lot of people say that this film features a "classic" love story but there's nothing "classic" about it. Star-crossed lovers that couldn't ever be together due to society and a tragic ending resulting the death of one of them. Sound a bit familiar? it should. No, not every aspect of Titanic is horrible. It's visually amazing for one but that's its sole redeeming quality for me. I'm sorry but this did NOT deserve best picture. Expand
  34. Apr 2, 2013
    Titanic is considered the best movie of the all time. i see why they have a great titanic, actors, director and a biutiful history of the most biutiful transatlantic ha ever see the world.
  35. Jan 3, 2014
    Excellent film. One of the best movies ever. The plot is interesting, very entertaining, the person who sees clearly enjoys it. Many people who have seen it do not get tired of seeing it again. A good cast. Pretty recommended.
  36. Oct 6, 2010
    After all these years, I regret contributing to Titanic's box office. Horrible story and characters. And is it just me, or does James Cameron just has to have sex in (almost) all of his movies? I think this movie deserves a 0, but I'm giving it a passing grade of 6 only becuase of: 1. 90s nostolgia 2. Great acting by Billy Zane, the only good actor in the movie 3. I admit, I love the songAfter all these years, I regret contributing to Titanic's box office. Horrible story and characters. And is it just me, or does James Cameron just has to have sex in (almost) all of his movies? I think this movie deserves a 0, but I'm giving it a passing grade of 6 only becuase of: 1. 90s nostolgia 2. Great acting by Billy Zane, the only good actor in the movie 3. I admit, I love the song sung by Celine Dion Expand
  37. Sep 2, 2011
    Oh do I hate this movie!!! Why did it have to center on a sappy love story? And why so formulaic? And why such a terrible script? And why such over the top and upfront heartbreak? AND WHY BEST PICTURE???
  38. ChrisR.
    Jul 7, 2001
    Cameron takes one of the most dramatic stories in history and turns it into an hackneyed third-rate fictional soap opera. Poorly written, acted and directed it represents the worst of major Hollywood film making.
  39. AndraB.
    Jun 8, 2002
    ..and it's a generous grade, inspired by the fx (even if we've seen better in Matrix, Haunted, etc). The subject: another unhappy love story (plenty of them since Romeo & Juliet), but we accept it. The message: very uncertain (maybe 'fate is irevocable', maybe 'carpe diem', maybe 'life goes on', maybe 'love is blind' or 'love never ..and it's a generous grade, inspired by the fx (even if we've seen better in Matrix, Haunted, etc). The subject: another unhappy love story (plenty of them since Romeo & Juliet), but we accept it. The message: very uncertain (maybe 'fate is irevocable', maybe 'carpe diem', maybe 'life goes on', maybe 'love is blind' or 'love never dies') but we accept it. But the contradictions, the sense of incomplete, the horrid-acting of Leonardo something and the fat miss with red hair, the way action develops, those pathetic love scenes ... that's hard to accept from a film quoted .... 11 Academy Award nominees??? No more comments. Expand
  40. Isabel
    Jul 1, 2002
    This was one of the few movies I ever walked out on. I never fail to be stupified by those who like this silly thing. With a horrendous script and lame acting, this movie commits the egregious sin of taking an actual heartwrenching event and turning it into sentimental Hollywood mush.
  41. Sep 26, 2011
    "Titanic" has its glorious pictures, but director James Cameron forcefully brings tears to the audience with its cheesy dialogue and the overwhelming sole focus on the chemistry between the two main characters.
  42. SteveT.
    Jun 27, 2001
    Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Visually, it's a masterpiece. But the screenplay/story is just horrible. The f-word was never said during that decade and I hate the way Rose was in cold water for over 30 minutes and somehow never had hypothermia. Another thing is that 1st class people would never even think of talking or be seen with lower class people. There Possibly the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Visually, it's a masterpiece. But the screenplay/story is just horrible. The f-word was never said during that decade and I hate the way Rose was in cold water for over 30 minutes and somehow never had hypothermia. Another thing is that 1st class people would never even think of talking or be seen with lower class people. There wasn't even a way for the low class people to go the deck! Main point is watch the movie with the volume down and watch about 10 minutes and that's it. Expand
  43. Aug 30, 2011
    James, James, James. Why did you have to be the one to direct this **** on the face of America. Titanic is a romanticisation of the Titanic tragedy. Kate and Leo do a relatively good job acting, but that's because they're the only thing saving the movie from sinking on the review charts like the Titanic. I mean, I respect James and all, but this movie was the god-damn black sheep of them.
  44. stephens.
    Jul 3, 2005
    Actually the rating should be a 2 or 3, but considering this won Oscars, a 1 or zero is appropriate. The absolute worst "best film" On a par with such other successful stinkers such as Forrest Gump and Deer Hunter.
  45. JimG.
    Nov 28, 2005
    Muzak for the eyes. Tedious, vacuous, schmaltz.
  46. ChrisB.
    Jul 5, 2007
    Worst movie ever made. Were it not for Kate Winslet being naked for a couple of minutes, I'd have gouged my eyes out. There probably would have been a class-action lawsuit against James Cameron because his movie caused blindness due to eye-gouging had Kate Winslet not been naked. It's a bullshit romance. Go watch Rambo or something if you want to see a real movie. You know, one Worst movie ever made. Were it not for Kate Winslet being naked for a couple of minutes, I'd have gouged my eyes out. There probably would have been a class-action lawsuit against James Cameron because his movie caused blindness due to eye-gouging had Kate Winslet not been naked. It's a bullshit romance. Go watch Rambo or something if you want to see a real movie. You know, one where there's no character development and shit gets blown up because it's awesome. Expand
  47. TS
    Jul 26, 2009
    Along with Braveheart and Forrest Gump, one of the worst Oscar winners of all time. Pure turgid drivel. A chick flick for the mentally defective.
  48. JamsB.
    Jun 24, 2008
    I would have given it about a 5 as it is an average try-hard hollywood blockbuster but the fact that you see Kate Winslet's horrible naked body makes it a zero.
  49. PatC.
    Jan 8, 2004
    The greatest button-pusher of all time. Gets away with being too long: Riveting storytelling and great editing. Who cares if it doesn't always ring true. Someone should. I do. It's not enough that so many drowned so long ago, now we're losing fine jewelry too. Will this tragedy ever end?
  50. NathanT
    Oct 24, 2006
    The idea that this was a better film than "L.A. Confidential" or the nominated "Boogie Nights" or "The Sweet Hereafter" is plain silly. But watching "Titanic" again for the first time in a few years, I was struck by how much of it does work. Unfortunately what does work is hampered at every turn by what doesn't. James Cameron doesn't let the British shine (this is an American The idea that this was a better film than "L.A. Confidential" or the nominated "Boogie Nights" or "The Sweet Hereafter" is plain silly. But watching "Titanic" again for the first time in a few years, I was struck by how much of it does work. Unfortunately what does work is hampered at every turn by what doesn't. James Cameron doesn't let the British shine (this is an American movie) and he can't resist the urge to do those cutesy references to the era of the film (and aren't we all so clever looking back knowing who Picasso is while the benighted fools aboard think he's doomed to be a starving artist?). Yet what works is the film's romance, as cornball and contrived as it may be. Far from Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance (that would be as Howard Hughes in the far, far superior "The Aviator"), Kate Winslet keeps the film afloat on her shoulders and provides a compelling reason to watch "Titanic" even as it sinks (literally). And remember how fashionable it was to say in 1997 that you only liked the last hour of it when all the 'cool' special effects take over? Regretfully there isn't enough heat in those dramatic closing scenes and the direction feels off for that material. But as the 1990s was the decade of the period piece winning the Best Picture prize ("American Beauty" and "Silence of the Lambs" notwithstanding), this predictably swept the Oscars that year. It's a decent, occasionally overwrought film that sold more tickets and ran for longer than it deserved to. But as a Best Picture winner, it's sandwiched in between one of the 1990s best films, "The English Patient" and the delightfully romantic "Shakespeare in Love". Those two are deserving of every second they ask of the viewer. Expand
  51. FrederickS.
    Jun 10, 2006
    The wettest and most hyped movie of all time.
  52. KellyE.
    Jun 1, 2005
    I found it too unbeliveable.
  53. Jaeq
    Jul 26, 2008
    There's Great, Good, Okay, Bad, and Terrible when it comes to movies, This one is somewhere between okay and bad, don't mean to be sexist, but many girls and women tend to see movies for other things than what they are, in this case, pretty boy leonardo decaprio in a 4 hour softcore porno, same idea with brokeback mountain , imagine a stupid chick flick that takes a 5/10, now There's Great, Good, Okay, Bad, and Terrible when it comes to movies, This one is somewhere between okay and bad, don't mean to be sexist, but many girls and women tend to see movies for other things than what they are, in this case, pretty boy leonardo decaprio in a 4 hour softcore porno, same idea with brokeback mountain , imagine a stupid chick flick that takes a 5/10, now put homsexual romance in it, goldmine. Expand
  54. JohnT.
    Apr 6, 2002
    Certainly there have been films more desserving of 12 acadamy awards (The Lord of the Rings, Gosford Park, Ghost) but Titanic is an enjoyable, if an overly long experience.
  55. RickJ.G.
    Jan 15, 2003
    The only aspects of this vastly overrated movie I enjoyed was David Warner as the villain body guard and the special effects. Warner simply makes a good villain and the movie is a visual achievement. I finally gave in and saw the film immediately after it won all those academy awards and, unlike the herd that loves this movie, I wasn't falling over myself to get back to the theater The only aspects of this vastly overrated movie I enjoyed was David Warner as the villain body guard and the special effects. Warner simply makes a good villain and the movie is a visual achievement. I finally gave in and saw the film immediately after it won all those academy awards and, unlike the herd that loves this movie, I wasn't falling over myself to get back to the theater and see it again and again. You don't need to spend $200 million to write a good screenplay. Instead we are subjected to a lame after-school romance special with lousy, contrived dialog. No wait, Jack tells Rose she's the most amazing person he has ever known! I hadn't heard that before. I was laughing at the silly proceedings by that point in the movie. I wish Rose had checked out on the deck at the beginning of the movie and not forced me to wait nearly three hours to finally see the ship sink sinking. Also, a little pipsqueak like DiCaprio does not make for a convincing street tough. Bad casting move. Romanticing life on the lower decks of the ship is a major blight on historical memory. Titanic is the best example in our time of wholesale bribery effectively used to buy a bunch of academy awards (None of them for the movie's acting, for obvious reasons). Expand
  56. AndrewM
    Nov 23, 2004
    I will admit, this film was already tainted in my eyes before I had seen it - before I had even seen the trailer. The reason: the whole premise of this film just rubs me the wrong way. It did when I first read about, it did when I watched it (the one and only time) and it continues to do so today. A fictional love story set aboard one of the greatest disasters the world has even seen... I will admit, this film was already tainted in my eyes before I had seen it - before I had even seen the trailer. The reason: the whole premise of this film just rubs me the wrong way. It did when I first read about, it did when I watched it (the one and only time) and it continues to do so today. A fictional love story set aboard one of the greatest disasters the world has even seen... Am I the only one a little put off by this notion?! If so, I am wholly comfortable with my solitude. It just strikes me as either poor judgement by the filmmakers, or a distinct lack of confidence on their part that this story could not be pulled off without a vicarious angle. Now I appreciate that the story of the famous ship and its fate was a large part of film...but let's be honest, it's not what the film was really about. It was the love story. The characters. Their story. And that's fine - or would have been, anywhere else! On a side note, the fact that Di Caprio was involved certainly didn't help things - he is one of the most overrated actors around. Winslet on the other hand was an asset, as were most of the supporting cast. The writing was impressive, at times memorable. The direction was as resolute as humanly possible. The costumes, the set decorations, the art direction, it's all grand and completely pertinent to the setting - but I can't get past the thought that this film would have been so much more respectable, and could have worked every bit as well, on a less infamous and melodramatic stage as the Titanic. I know many will say I'm missing the whole point: that this is fantasy set against a historical backdrop. If so, again, it just leaves me cold. The bottom line is that I give this film 5/5 for execution, and 0/5 for foundation; when I watch a film about the Titanic, just gimme the facts! Expand
  57. GaborA.
    Feb 17, 2004
    Remains at the top of my refuse to see list.
  58. RobertC.
    Feb 25, 2004
    I do give at least one credit to Titanic...it's the most mysterious commericially wise. Like how a film like this could win nearly twice as much awards as works of art like The Godfather or Apocalyse Now. Was it really that good, or was the entire year a mediocre joke in cinematic history. How could a overly-expensive film starring merely a pretty face cause a whole list of fangirls I do give at least one credit to Titanic...it's the most mysterious commericially wise. Like how a film like this could win nearly twice as much awards as works of art like The Godfather or Apocalyse Now. Was it really that good, or was the entire year a mediocre joke in cinematic history. How could a overly-expensive film starring merely a pretty face cause a whole list of fangirls (whom are dead to me for making this successful) to make this an unbearable phenomenon. Bottom line is though it's an alright film, with great visuals and decent acting, there's no reason that is ever shouldn't been this large, for it honestly doesn't deserve a 10th of it's worldwide gross nor 11 Oscars. Expand
  59. Jake
    Dec 18, 2005
    Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Romeo and Juliet mixed with Lady and the Tramp. But the ending was amazing and gorgeous to look at. A lot like Pearl Harbor, i was disappointed that Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Romeo and Juliet mixed with Lady and the Tramp. But the ending was amazing and gorgeous to look at. A lot like Pearl Harbor, i was disappointed that hollywood could take horrible disaster and turn it into a mediocre romance flick. Ultimately entertaining, but left a whole lot to be desired! Expand
  60. BrunoM.
    May 19, 2005
    I don't like romance.
  61. StephenB.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome "Aliens". In fact, in some jurisdictions, not liking "Aliens" is considered a criminal act. However, having proved his talent at greatness, he decided to Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome "Aliens". In fact, in some jurisdictions, not liking "Aliens" is considered a criminal act. However, having proved his talent at greatness, he decided to switch gears and try sucking for a change. And so we have... this... abomination. Gone are the great writing and pacing that anchored his previous sci-fi outings, instead replaced with a laughable script, incessant repetition and miscasting galore. There are no characters, just cardboard cutouts. The historic mistakes are mind-boggling. Even composer James Horner turns in a huge pile of cliched, faux-"romantic" gloop, all the more travesty if you remember he did the rousing score of "Aliens". Yes, the SFX is good and probably the only part of the film I will ever find anything positive to say. I have no idea why the director abandoned the niche he was most successful in for another where he fails. The final impression: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit". Expand
  62. Roy
    Sep 4, 2008
    I don't get all the hate for this film, sure i hated leornado di'caprio in this film, i thought he was a weak lead, would have preffered someone like say Brad Pitt or johnny depp, and the romace is a little boyish at time, but you can't deny the cinematography excellence of this film, still haven't been matched till this day.
  63. Robert
    Dec 26, 2002
    Quite possibly one of the most boring, overblown, overlong movies I have ever seen in my life. The movie simply was not interesting at all, and it ran far too long. 3 hour running times are fine if there is actually an interesting plot, but this was just horribly boring.
  64. SinanR.
    Feb 22, 2005
    The best movie ever, excluding the nudity scene.
  65. ScaraB
    Aug 23, 2009
    A solid movie, but no doubt one of the most overrated movies of all time. If you have a male friend that loves this film, dig further for evidence of his actual masulinity.
  66. LawrenceY.
    Dec 29, 2008
    If you like disaster films, this is the film for you. But if you dont like to see love in a disaster film, just leave this one alone.
  67. Sep 11, 2010
    I can't tell bad things with this movie, it's very expensive movie... a thriller, a perfect... I wonder why others still don't like this movie... I like this a lot that AVATAR, it's perfect, it's excellent...
  68. May 31, 2011
    he number of times in this unbelievably badly-written script that the two [lead characters] refer to each other by name was an indication of just how dramatically the script lacked anything more interesting for the actors to say.Also, filmmaker Robert Altman called it "the most dreadful piece of work I've ever seen in my entire life
  69. Nov 28, 2010
    This will always be the greatest film of all time. This heartbreakingly-beautiful & sad classic, nothing short of a masterpiece, was a triumph for James Cameron (he directed Terminator 1 & 2, & Avatar). Avatar surpassed this in terms of grossing only 12 years later (he really IS the king of the world). It is nothing short of late 20th century film-making's magnum opus. I cried at leastThis will always be the greatest film of all time. This heartbreakingly-beautiful & sad classic, nothing short of a masterpiece, was a triumph for James Cameron (he directed Terminator 1 & 2, & Avatar). Avatar surpassed this in terms of grossing only 12 years later (he really IS the king of the world). It is nothing short of late 20th century film-making's magnum opus. I cried at least four times in the movie after seeing it once. I cried when Rose went up from the lifeboat to get Jack, that was beautiful. I also cried when Jack died after hypothermia in the freezing water, when Jack sunk right into the water sent tears to my eyes right away. I cried when the band played "Nearer, My God, To Thee" on violin, because I thought it was beautiful. I also cried during "The Dream", the final scene of Titanic, because that showed how Titanic could have been the ship of dreams. & it was. It really was. Until it sunk on that fateful day. It is truly insulting that critics could be lousy & mean enough to only let this movie get a 74. It should have AT LEAST a 100. Expand
  70. Feb 5, 2014
    One of those films that stay embedded on our culture.
    I loved, love and always will love this movie.
    It's amazing from start to finish. A great ride for everyone :)
  71. Apr 15, 2011
    IT IS 2011 ALMOST LIKE TEN YEARS OR MORE SINCE THEY MADE THIS FILM AND EVERYTIME I WATCH IT I ENJOYED IT AND FEEL AS IF I WATCH IT THE DAY OF ITS RELEASE, I love titanic!!!!
  72. Sep 24, 2013
    James Cameron did an excellent job at directing the film. DiCaprio and Winslet showed their amusing chemistry extremely well. Cinematography was great. The script was great. And the special effects used in breaking the ship in half was absolutely awesome. It can definitely match "Gone With The Wind" as one of the best romantic films of all time. Really fantastic...
  73. Jun 12, 2011
    for those of you who make it seem like it is a horrible movie because its slow, then shame on you, because it really is a true story, and you make it seem like it wasn't a true story, but a dumbass made up story. if you are going to burn a titanic movie, then review one of the animated titanic movies. and i will admit that i myself don't especially love this movie. but it is NOT i repeatfor those of you who make it seem like it is a horrible movie because its slow, then shame on you, because it really is a true story, and you make it seem like it wasn't a true story, but a dumbass made up story. if you are going to burn a titanic movie, then review one of the animated titanic movies. and i will admit that i myself don't especially love this movie. but it is NOT i repeat NOT A CHICK FLICK. it is a historicaly accurate movie that puts the emotion and heart wrenching events in world history. if you hate this movie because it seems like a piece of **** chick flick, then shame on you. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  74. Oct 5, 2011
    The special effects and the intense tragedy of the sinking ship are well told, the romantic cut and paste story is cheese. Titanic is a good movie for sure but does show more than any other that its not the best movies that make the most money.
  75. Jun 6, 2012
    11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the real people and real heroism on board the ship are shamelessly ignored, and sometimes offensively twisted, in the film's portrayal of the Titanic's11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the real people and real heroism on board the ship are shamelessly ignored, and sometimes offensively twisted, in the film's portrayal of the Titanic's First Officer, Lieutenant William Murdoch. So offensively in fact, the film's production staff had to apologise to the entire town where Murdoch grew up. What's worse, is that this film has become synonymous with the real story of the Titanic. So, a real story of Human sacrifice, heroism, bravery and selflessness in the face of impending death has been supplanted by a third-rate teeny-bopper love story. Great. Expand
  76. Sep 8, 2014
    One of the greats of our time--in terms of dramatic tragedy, disaster and direction. James Cameron largely took the romantic path of this unparalleled tragedy. The romanticism can be easily criticized; however, it makes this film and story much more cohesive.
  77. Oct 18, 2012
    The best movie I saw in my whole life.Leonardo DiCaprio,Kate Winslet,Billy Zane,etc.James Cameron also it's a great director.The suicide scene of one of the crew was awesome.The screenplay too.I wait to see Avatar in 3-D.
  78. Dec 22, 2012
    A true cinematic masterpiece
  79. Dec 20, 2012
    I love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserve best picture. It is by far not a classic. Still, this is a groundbreaking movie and should be crowned as a glorious movie, by all means, yes. I knowI love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserve best picture. It is by far not a classic. Still, this is a groundbreaking movie and should be crowned as a glorious movie, by all means, yes. I know why people hate it as well as love it. I go back and forth between loving and hating it with a passion. No idea why. The effects are just...un-freakin-believably good. I felt as if I was there. The lines are often cheesy, but...you do have to remember, you can't just have a movie about Titanic that spands 3 hours. That is why it is a love story. I'm not one for romance anyways. So, I understand if you think it's the greatest movie ever. I also understand if you think it's the worst. In some ways, I would love to give this movie a 3 a be done with it. But, I'm forgetting, that there is something special to this movie. Kate Winslet is great. I didn't like Leo Dicaprio, but again, the whole Jack character annoyed the hell out of me. Cameron, please DO NOT write movies. Expand
  80. Sep 24, 2013
    might b a little predictable but that's what the target audience wants Anyone who is a hopeless romantic and those who believe in soul mates roughly 80 percent of the country .But nonetheless this is a Great movie ,epic, tragic, romantic.
  81. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. a half decent film that definitely entertains with the first few watches, though it is a bit long. the thing for me was the fact neither Rose nor Jack seemed intent on beeping that horn in the car, that could have been done more, because it was a moment I felt slightly humored. Also, I'm sure there was enough space on that rafter for Jack to get on too, so it was his fault. But no, seriously, this is a film that I've regularly seen bring a tear to people's eyes. Expand
  82. Jan 9, 2015
    Titanic is my favorite movie of all time. To me this was my favorite movie, because when I was growning up, Titanic was my favorite thing to talk about, and draw-even today still. Also, the special effects are spectaculiar, and Titanic does'nt waste its 194 min. at all.
  83. DonP.
    Mar 22, 2002
    The "Gone With The Wind" of our generation. A dazzling recreation of the disaster....overlaid by an intriguing romance which takes you to all parts of the ship and to a cross-section of the doomed passengers. You are stunned by the magnitude of the ship and its demise, and find yourself emotionally reacting to the simple, the heroic, and the selfish acts.
  84. RobertH.
    Aug 3, 2002
    Quite possibly my favorite movie of all time. An absolute masterpiece. No matter what other roles Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet ever take, none will ever match this performance. They will always be remembered for this role. Just a breathtaking suspenseful romantic adventure that was captured perfectly as if it were on canvass. James Cameron will never again equal this great work of Quite possibly my favorite movie of all time. An absolute masterpiece. No matter what other roles Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet ever take, none will ever match this performance. They will always be remembered for this role. Just a breathtaking suspenseful romantic adventure that was captured perfectly as if it were on canvass. James Cameron will never again equal this great work of art. In time I believe Titanic will be compared to Gone With The Wind. Expand
  85. Fantasy
    Jun 22, 2004
    Without a doubt one of the best, if not the best movies ever made. Definitely in the top ten of all time and richly deserving of all the Oscars it received.
  86. Mike
    Feb 14, 2005
    Great movie, from start to the ending. I was afraid that this movie would be boring, but it actually was very good.
  87. miker.
    Jan 3, 2006
    One of the top 5 movies ever. It had great cinematoraphy, special effects, underrated outstanding acting, excellent interwoven life stories and one of the best movie love stories ever.
  88. chrissy
    Jan 5, 2006
    Saw it 7 times in theaters. enough said.
  89. CiaranG.
    Jan 4, 2007
    One of the greatest movies ever made in my opinion. It has a fantastic storyline that is based on a true story. This film has everything - sex, romance, violence, fantastic stunts etc. Also, the soundtrack along with this film is brilliant, includes the likes of Enya and more... At parts this film is thrilling, sometimes it will have you on the edge of your seat, perhaps you'll enjoy One of the greatest movies ever made in my opinion. It has a fantastic storyline that is based on a true story. This film has everything - sex, romance, violence, fantastic stunts etc. Also, the soundtrack along with this film is brilliant, includes the likes of Enya and more... At parts this film is thrilling, sometimes it will have you on the edge of your seat, perhaps you'll enjoy the romance or you'll be upset at some of the more horrific scenes. I would recommend buying this on DVD. Expand
  90. HannahB
    Oct 19, 2009
    I loooooooove this movie xxx It made my cry at the very end though!!! YAY Titanic Movie!
  91. KatieT
    Jul 19, 2009
    Love this movie. It is so dramatic. The acting in this movie is outstanding.
  92. shelbyj
    Aug 7, 2009
    The most gratifying movie i have ever seen. it takes your breath away.
  93. NicoleL.
    May 30, 2002
    I love this movie. I watch it like everyday. I am a huge fan of Billy Zane so i watch it because hes' in it [While I was saying that I was laughing and blushing.] YOU KNOW ME! If there are any people who feel the same way about this movie please post it in this, O.K.? Thanks to all those Billy fans. [BACK OFF GET YOUR OWN MAN! All right I have to go. BY BY, Nicole!
  94. O.H.VictorRajK.
    Jun 12, 2003
    A true international masterpiece of a movie. Few films can go and convince the critics and viewers alike and Titanic does it. All those who keep complaining about Titanic are those who like bashing about what becomes liked by all as they want to be seen otherwise to make a statement. If there's one true measurement of a film's real likeability then one has to look at the A true international masterpiece of a movie. Few films can go and convince the critics and viewers alike and Titanic does it. All those who keep complaining about Titanic are those who like bashing about what becomes liked by all as they want to be seen otherwise to make a statement. If there's one true measurement of a film's real likeability then one has to look at the collections - after all people vote with their money. If still in doubt look at the Oscars. Expand
  95. DaveC.
    Jun 1, 2004
    A classic love story in every sense of the word. Charming, heartbreaking, very highly entertaining and visually beautiful. To compare it to other romantic masterpieces, it's more direct and succinct with its characters and develops them just enough get the audience emotionally involved and it does overwhelm the characters with the grandiose scale of its story like Doctor Zhivago did. A classic love story in every sense of the word. Charming, heartbreaking, very highly entertaining and visually beautiful. To compare it to other romantic masterpieces, it's more direct and succinct with its characters and develops them just enough get the audience emotionally involved and it does overwhelm the characters with the grandiose scale of its story like Doctor Zhivago did. Sure, the characters are archetypal and the events of the film are quite melodramatic, but these old fashioned archetypes are lovingly recreated and the melodrama is sincere and effective. This just might be the perfect romantic epic were it not for Billy Zane's pathetic, caricatured performance as the jealous lover. Expand
  96. MichelleL
    Jan 1, 2005
    This is the best movie in the whole world! James Camron is a terrific director! Leonardo DiCaprio is not just hot, but a wonder actor! Kate Winselt is a beautiful, magnificent actress! And James Horner, the conductor of the music in this film, is definitely a great musician. And least but not last, this is a wonder film of romance, adventure, and drama. Good luck to the actor, actress, This is the best movie in the whole world! James Camron is a terrific director! Leonardo DiCaprio is not just hot, but a wonder actor! Kate Winselt is a beautiful, magnificent actress! And James Horner, the conductor of the music in this film, is definitely a great musician. And least but not last, this is a wonder film of romance, adventure, and drama. Good luck to the actor, actress, director, and conductor. Collapse
    Nov 4, 2005
    T2 is more exciting, but Titanic is certainly worth a look. It certainly deserved Oscars, but maybe not eleven of them. It actually isn't boring...James Cameron proves himself versatile, as the movie flows along well...w/o fight sequences and battles in his action work. THe romance is actually well written...not too deep, but not phony or shallow, and for real, as it stands the test T2 is more exciting, but Titanic is certainly worth a look. It certainly deserved Oscars, but maybe not eleven of them. It actually isn't boring...James Cameron proves himself versatile, as the movie flows along well...w/o fight sequences and battles in his action work. THe romance is actually well written...not too deep, but not phony or shallow, and for real, as it stands the test of disaster. In fact, this movie's charaters HATE phoniness, in a way both girls and guys can relate too and embrace. James Horner's score was great, too. Expand
  98. AmandaH
    Jan 7, 2005
    I still get teary at some points in the film. It moves me on every level, and I feel that Cameron captured the heartbreak, sadness and fear that these people were feeling. He not only has a made up love story, but wrapped it around with true accounts and people. Even the extras went above and beyond.
  99. KeithH
    Oct 20, 2006
    The world

You don't just watch Titanic, you experience it.
  2. No amount of excellent period costuming and brilliant set decoration can substitute for a good story and decent acting.
  3. The first half drags a bit, but the adventure scenes are exciting and the visual effects are as dazzling as Hollywood's most advanced technology can make them. Focusing as much on time and memory as on danger and disaster, it's an epic with a heart.