Titanic

8.5

1. Jake
    Dec 18, 2005
    Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Romeo and Juliet mixed with Lady and the Tramp. But the ending was amazing and gorgeous to look at. A lot like Pearl Harbor, i was disappointed that Not all that bad, but definately not worth the 600 million at the box office and the 13 oscars. The film was very entertaining and visually stunning, but the romantic aspects of the film seemed both cliche and fabricated. It was pretty much Romeo and Juliet mixed with Lady and the Tramp. But the ending was amazing and gorgeous to look at. A lot like Pearl Harbor, i was disappointed that hollywood could take horrible disaster and turn it into a mediocre romance flick. Ultimately entertaining, but left a whole lot to be desired! Expand
  2. BrunoM.
    May 19, 2005
    I don't like romance.
  3. StephenB.
    Dec 26, 2008
    Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome "Aliens". In fact, in some jurisdictions, not liking "Aliens" is considered a criminal act. However, having proved his talent at greatness, he decided to Mr. Cameron started his career by establishing himself as a great science-fiction writer/director, able to simultaneously be exciting and smart. He delievered on that promise with the two "Terminator" films and the completely awesome "Aliens". In fact, in some jurisdictions, not liking "Aliens" is considered a criminal act. However, having proved his talent at greatness, he decided to switch gears and try sucking for a change. And so we have... this... abomination. Gone are the great writing and pacing that anchored his previous sci-fi outings, instead replaced with a laughable script, incessant repetition and miscasting galore. There are no characters, just cardboard cutouts. The historic mistakes are mind-boggling. Even composer James Horner turns in a huge pile of cliched, faux-"romantic" gloop, all the more travesty if you remember he did the rousing score of "Aliens". Yes, the SFX is good and probably the only part of the film I will ever find anything positive to say. I have no idea why the director abandoned the niche he was most successful in for another where he fails. The final impression: "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit". Collapse
  4. Roy
    Sep 4, 2008
    I don't get all the hate for this film, sure i hated leornado di'caprio in this film, i thought he was a weak lead, would have preffered someone like say Brad Pitt or johnny depp, and the romace is a little boyish at time, but you can't deny the cinematography excellence of this film, still haven't been matched till this day.
  5. Robert
    Dec 26, 2002
    Quite possibly one of the most boring, overblown, overlong movies I have ever seen in my life. The movie simply was not interesting at all, and it ran far too long. 3 hour running times are fine if there is actually an interesting plot, but this was just horribly boring.
  6. SinanR.
    Feb 22, 2005
    The best movie ever, excluding the nudity scene.
  7. ScaraB
    Aug 23, 2009
    A solid movie, but no doubt one of the most overrated movies of all time. If you have a male friend that loves this film, dig further for evidence of his actual masulinity.
  8. LawrenceY.
    Dec 29, 2008
    If you like disaster films, this is the film for you. But if you dont like to see love in a disaster film, just leave this one alone.
  9. Sep 11, 2010
    I can't tell bad things with this movie, it's very expensive movie... a thriller, a perfect... I wonder why others still don't like this movie... I like this a lot that AVATAR, it's perfect, it's excellent...
  10. May 31, 2011
    he number of times in this unbelievably badly-written script that the two [lead characters] refer to each other by name was an indication of just how dramatically the script lacked anything more interesting for the actors to say.Also, filmmaker Robert Altman called it "the most dreadful piece of work I've ever seen in my entire life
  11. Nov 28, 2010
    This will always be the greatest film of all time. This heartbreakingly-beautiful & sad classic, nothing short of a masterpiece, was a triumph for James Cameron (he directed Terminator 1 & 2, & Avatar). Avatar surpassed this in terms of grossing only 12 years later (he really IS the king of the world). It is nothing short of late 20th century film-making's magnum opus. I cried at leastThis will always be the greatest film of all time. This heartbreakingly-beautiful & sad classic, nothing short of a masterpiece, was a triumph for James Cameron (he directed Terminator 1 & 2, & Avatar). Avatar surpassed this in terms of grossing only 12 years later (he really IS the king of the world). It is nothing short of late 20th century film-making's magnum opus. I cried at least four times in the movie after seeing it once. I cried when Rose went up from the lifeboat to get Jack, that was beautiful. I also cried when Jack died after hypothermia in the freezing water, when Jack sunk right into the water sent tears to my eyes right away. I cried when the band played "Nearer, My God, To Thee" on violin, because I thought it was beautiful. I also cried during "The Dream", the final scene of Titanic, because that showed how Titanic could have been the ship of dreams. & it was. It really was. Until it sunk on that fateful day. It is truly insulting that critics could be lousy & mean enough to only let this movie get a 74. It should have AT LEAST a 100. Expand
  12. Feb 5, 2014
    One of those films that stay embedded on our culture.
    I loved, love and always will love this movie.
    It's amazing from start to finish. A great ride for everyone :)
  13. Apr 15, 2011
    IT IS 2011 ALMOST LIKE TEN YEARS OR MORE SINCE THEY MADE THIS FILM AND EVERYTIME I WATCH IT I ENJOYED IT AND FEEL AS IF I WATCH IT THE DAY OF ITS RELEASE, I love titanic!!!!
  14. Sep 24, 2013
    James Cameron did an excellent job at directing the film. DiCaprio and Winslet showed their amusing chemistry extremely well. Cinematography was great. The script was great. And the special effects used in breaking the ship in half was absolutely awesome. It can definitely match "Gone With The Wind" as one of the best romantic films of all time. Really fantastic...
  15. Jun 12, 2011
    for those of you who make it seem like it is a horrible movie because its slow, then shame on you, because it really is a true story, and you make it seem like it wasn't a true story, but a dumbass made up story. if you are going to burn a titanic movie, then review one of the animated titanic movies. and i will admit that i myself don't especially love this movie. but it is NOT i repeatfor those of you who make it seem like it is a horrible movie because its slow, then shame on you, because it really is a true story, and you make it seem like it wasn't a true story, but a dumbass made up story. if you are going to burn a titanic movie, then review one of the animated titanic movies. and i will admit that i myself don't especially love this movie. but it is NOT i repeat NOT A CHICK FLICK. it is a historicaly accurate movie that puts the emotion and heart wrenching events in world history. if you hate this movie because it seems like a piece of **** chick flick, then shame on you. SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  16. Oct 5, 2011
    The special effects and the intense tragedy of the sinking ship are well told, the romantic cut and paste story is cheese. Titanic is a good movie for sure but does show more than any other that its not the best movies that make the most money.
  17. Jun 6, 2012
    11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the real people and real heroism on board the ship are shamelessly ignored, and sometimes offensively twisted, in the film's portrayal of the Titanic's11 Oscars? Why? While James Cameron's "Titanic" certainly delivers as a visual feast and a breakthrough in set design, it is bogged down by a predictable love story without anything new brought to the tired formula. The real stories of the real people and real heroism on board the ship are shamelessly ignored, and sometimes offensively twisted, in the film's portrayal of the Titanic's First Officer, Lieutenant William Murdoch. So offensively in fact, the film's production staff had to apologise to the entire town where Murdoch grew up. What's worse, is that this film has become synonymous with the real story of the Titanic. So, a real story of Human sacrifice, heroism, bravery and selflessness in the face of impending death has been supplanted by a third-rate teeny-bopper love story. Great. Expand
  18. Sep 8, 2014
    One of the greats of our time--in terms of dramatic tragedy, disaster and direction. James Cameron largely took the romantic path of this unparalleled tragedy. The romanticism can be easily criticized; however, it makes this film and story much more cohesive.
  19. Oct 18, 2012
    The best movie I saw in my whole life.Leonardo DiCaprio,Kate Winslet,Billy Zane,etc.James Cameron also it's a great director.The suicide scene of one of the crew was awesome.The screenplay too.I wait to see Avatar in 3-D.
  20. Dec 22, 2012
    A true cinematic masterpiece
  21. Dec 20, 2012
    I love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserve best picture. It is by far not a classic. Still, this is a groundbreaking movie and should be crowned as a glorious movie, by all means, yes. I knowI love to hate this movie. I hate to love this movie. Titanic, is without question, long and doesn't get interesting until about 90 minutes into the movie. As much as i hate the song "My heart will go on" and on...and on...This didn't deserve best picture. It is by far not a classic. Still, this is a groundbreaking movie and should be crowned as a glorious movie, by all means, yes. I know why people hate it as well as love it. I go back and forth between loving and hating it with a passion. No idea why. The effects are just...un-freakin-believably good. I felt as if I was there. The lines are often cheesy, but...you do have to remember, you can't just have a movie about Titanic that spands 3 hours. That is why it is a love story. I'm not one for romance anyways. So, I understand if you think it's the greatest movie ever. I also understand if you think it's the worst. In some ways, I would love to give this movie a 3 a be done with it. But, I'm forgetting, that there is something special to this movie. Kate Winslet is great. I didn't like Leo Dicaprio, but again, the whole Jack character annoyed the hell out of me. Cameron, please DO NOT write movies. Expand
  22. Sep 24, 2013
    might b a little predictable but that's what the target audience wants Anyone who is a hopeless romantic and those who believe in soul mates roughly 80 percent of the country .But nonetheless this is a Great movie ,epic, tragic, romantic.
  23. Jun 25, 2015
    A very slightly blandish story. Just slightly, but James Cameron's "Titanic" still remains one of his best efforts with the help of some strong film-making.
  24. Jan 2, 2014
    Titanic is a beautiful and unforgettable masterpiece and one of my favourite movies of all time. The chemistry between Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet is breath-taking; there's such a connection between them. Chemistry like that is rare and often not very genuine in Hollywood. Rose and Jack have to be the best movie couple. James Cameron really has done an ace job! You don't only watchTitanic is a beautiful and unforgettable masterpiece and one of my favourite movies of all time. The chemistry between Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet is breath-taking; there's such a connection between them. Chemistry like that is rare and often not very genuine in Hollywood. Rose and Jack have to be the best movie couple. James Cameron really has done an ace job! You don't only watch Titanic, you experience it which I think is what makes it more special and moving. There's real emotional behind the sinking and the characters. Titanic is also visually spectacular, Cameron really brings it all to life. The cast were superb! Cameron couldn't have chosen a better cast. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet shine in this film. Also Billy Zane, Francis Fisher, Kathy Bates and Victor Garber are sensational and really talented actors. This movie may be depressing and heartbreakingly sad but its so emotionally captivating and the love story is utterly beautiful. Titanic tugs at your heartstrings and really makes you feel. Its hard to get this film out of your head.

Grade: A*
  25. Aug 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. a half decent film that definitely entertains with the first few watches, though it is a bit long. the thing for me was the fact neither Rose nor Jack seemed intent on beeping that horn in the car, that could have been done more, because it was a moment I felt slightly humored. Also, I'm sure there was enough space on that rafter for Jack to get on too, so it was his fault. But no, seriously, this is a film that I've regularly seen bring a tear to people's eyes. Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2014
    The romance element in Titanic is undoubtely cheesy and sappy but the disaster scene provides a lot of impressive CGI and some emotional punch to counter its other minor flaws.
  27. Jan 9, 2015
    Titanic is my favorite movie of all time. To me this was my favorite movie, because when I was growning up, Titanic was my favorite thing to talk about, and draw-even today still. Also, the special effects are spectaculiar, and Titanic does'nt waste its 194 min. at all.
  28. May 3, 2015
    the 2nd best box office film ever and It is a really good film. the charters are great the titanic looks real and not fake (titanic 2) it is just a good film.
  29. Dec 2, 2015
    Titanic , the best romance I saw in my life , but for " Passengers" , which DiCaprio and Winslet good boys , but a remembered romance agerridos roamed where a cruise ship was about to sink and those dead passengers by the frozen water of the Atlantic , but I think if you cease to be Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence fail to strike wing romance that will have space and I want to see , butTitanic , the best romance I saw in my life , but for " Passengers" , which DiCaprio and Winslet good boys , but a remembered romance agerridos roamed where a cruise ship was about to sink and those dead passengers by the frozen water of the Atlantic , but I think if you cease to be Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence fail to strike wing romance that will have space and I want to see , but this movie is incredible . Expand
  30. DonP.
    Mar 22, 2002
    The "Gone With The Wind" of our generation. A dazzling recreation of the disaster....overlaid by an intriguing romance which takes you to all parts of the ship and to a cross-section of the doomed passengers. You are stunned by the magnitude of the ship and its demise, and find yourself emotionally reacting to the simple, the heroic, and the selfish acts.

You don't just watch Titanic, you experience it.
  2. No amount of excellent period costuming and brilliant set decoration can substitute for a good story and decent acting.
  3. The first half drags a bit, but the adventure scenes are exciting and the visual effects are as dazzling as Hollywood's most advanced technology can make them. Focusing as much on time and memory as on danger and disaster, it's an epic with a heart.