Titus

6.3

1. Jan 16, 2011
    Titus is a visually stunning film with one of Shakespeare's classic, when I saw this movie I thought it was kind of like a mix between Brazil, 300, and Titus the Shakespeare play. Since Im a fan of surrealism,I was really happy to see all these objects that don't go together in this movie, like video games and Roman temples, It made this movie feel like it came out of the mind of someTitus is a visually stunning film with one of Shakespeare's classic, when I saw this movie I thought it was kind of like a mix between Brazil, 300, and Titus the Shakespeare play. Since Im a fan of surrealism,I was really happy to see all these objects that don't go together in this movie, like video games and Roman temples, It made this movie feel like it came out of the mind of some one reading the Shakespeare script. The thing that brought this movie down was the gore,but its not the movies fault the play is one of Shakespeare's bloodiest work and the movie was doing its job well. However the bottom line is its a good movie. Expand
  2. JohnD
    Feb 4, 2005
    Beautiful, gripping movie. Amazing performances.
  3. GaborA.
    Jun 9, 2004
    The play was already absolute garbage forcing the characters to make utterly illogical actions and evoke ridiculous emotions just so the irrational plot could keep moving. Somehow the movie emphasised this weakness, stew buckets of blood at the camera, and made the work even worse. Shakespeare at his worst and hollywood at its worst. What could be worse except maybe a similar remake of The play was already absolute garbage forcing the characters to make utterly illogical actions and evoke ridiculous emotions just so the irrational plot could keep moving. Somehow the movie emphasised this weakness, stew buckets of blood at the camera, and made the work even worse. Shakespeare at his worst and hollywood at its worst. What could be worse except maybe a similar remake of Merchant of Venice? Expand
  4. PatC.
    Jan 8, 2004
    This story can never be either a popular play or movie. Shakespeare was a master, even over what we don't want to deal with. An important movie in making his body of work accessible via home theater. Good job of converting the original script into something we can follow today.
  5. Jonah
    Jan 5, 2003
    An elaborate, ridiculous and gorgeous ressurection of one of Shakespeare's most unreadable plays. It's images will stay with you long after the movie is over.
    Aug 16, 2001
    Extreme gore makes this 3 movie a 4.

1. Makes the best possible argument for a cautionary drama that contemplates the absolute worst in us.
  2. There's something hideously pretentious about the whole thing.
    Once you get used to the broad gestures, visual stylings and reach-for-the-sky emotions, you may find yourself luxuriating in this movie's undeniable grandeur.