8.8

1. EmieldeV.
    Feb 16, 2004
    The story is too slow to really make an impact. The director has turned one of the most extraordinary events into of the most common films.
  2. WindowLicker
    Apr 25, 2004
    Possibly the worst movie of all time. As well as plenty of inconsistencies (hey, check out that 300km trip into the jungle each day), we get a bunch of moralizing crap shoved in our faces - better to turn the other cheek, get the dressing-up box out and do some Shakespeare. This is what WW2 would have looked like if it had been fought by luvvies. Save yourself the bother and go and see Possibly the worst movie of all time. As well as plenty of inconsistencies (hey, check out that 300km trip into the jungle each day), we get a bunch of moralizing crap shoved in our faces - better to turn the other cheek, get the dressing-up box out and do some Shakespeare. This is what WW2 would have looked like if it had been fought by luvvies. Save yourself the bother and go and see "The Great Escape" again. Expand
  3. NormG.
    Apr 28, 2005
    If you took all of the movie clichés from every prisoner of war film since the 1930
  4. Nariman
    Aug 20, 2006
    Great movie. No wonder hollywood, left media, and other secularists don't like it. This is about true core meaning of Christianity - forgiveness and love. That's what truly ends all wars and gives such freedom, freedom to choose life and morality.
  5. JohnB.
    Jul 7, 2004
    Fascinating human study of how some men reacted to the stress of war. Makes you wonder about the meaning of it all. Did they get it right or was it a cop out?
  6. WaltT.
    Jun 21, 2004
    I know the consumption of hatred personally - and found this to paint a crisp picture of the waste it creates.
  7. David
    Aug 8, 2005
    THis may be the most profound movie I have ever seen. I was not able to speak for about 15 minutes after the credits rolled.
  8. PhilC.
    Jan 1, 2008
    A highly moving, yet sometimes brutally factual, account of a group of POW's in a Japanese camp who, whilst enduring incredibly harsh treatment, help build a railway line through the Kwai valley during WW2. The performances are good enough for you to properly hate, empathies, sympathies or simply admire the characters depicted. The film asks an impossible question of the viewer - A highly moving, yet sometimes brutally factual, account of a group of POW's in a Japanese camp who, whilst enduring incredibly harsh treatment, help build a railway line through the Kwai valley during WW2. The performances are good enough for you to properly hate, empathies, sympathies or simply admire the characters depicted. The film asks an impossible question of the viewer - would you be able to forgive in such circumstances? - perhaps the answer is most uncomfortable for many. However the very fact that you ask yourself that question means the film, the story and the performances have placed a grip around your soul in a way you wouldn't expect from such a low-budget and unknown movie. Expand
  9. Marc-o
    Oct 28, 2003
    Amazing as always Carlyle was excellent as was Sutherland who is seemingly back on form these days which is good to see. The rest of the cast were also excellent. But it's the story that truley touches there are no real effect in this movie and we don't need to see bullets and mortars flying a-la Private Ryan this film pulls you in simply by the performance of it's solid Amazing as always Carlyle was excellent as was Sutherland who is seemingly back on form these days which is good to see. The rest of the cast were also excellent. But it's the story that truley touches there are no real effect in this movie and we don't need to see bullets and mortars flying a-la Private Ryan this film pulls you in simply by the performance of it's solid cast. Fa better than any recent war movies, Harts War, Windtalkers etc. And twice as effective as 'Ryan. If you like the Thin Red Line then i think you will love this, although the pace is less ponderous than Malicks film. Expand
  10. NevilleK.
    Feb 24, 2003
    Seeing the true story told after hearing about it was very satisfying and undoubtedly powerful. The performance that is the most powerful though isn't found in Carlyle or Sutherland but in the man who played Ernie. He deserves an Oscar nomination for his stirring portrayal. Yes, the story and narrative was a little heavy at times, but look at their lives? Heavy message surrounded by Seeing the true story told after hearing about it was very satisfying and undoubtedly powerful. The performance that is the most powerful though isn't found in Carlyle or Sutherland but in the man who played Ernie. He deserves an Oscar nomination for his stirring portrayal. Yes, the story and narrative was a little heavy at times, but look at their lives? Heavy message surrounded by heavy-life situations. A uniquely told and emotionally gripping film....see it, at least once. Expand
  11. JayS.
    Feb 9, 2003
    A true story. An honest film. Sutherland is on a roll. Thought provoking.
  12. PrincessP.
    Mar 27, 2003
    Forget about that nine person i think the movie is exceptional (forgive my spelling) but i was so touched. . . infact it was beond that, i was more than touched by this fabulouse movie. the director is a legend!!!! (least i spel legend right!) i loved it! it's my favourite. it certainly made a difference in my life.
  13. B.B.
    Mar 3, 2003
    Excellent, gripping cinema that captures your heart and mind from the start. While not the typical high adventure, scene flipping, constant changing, mind numbing movie that we're used to, this will definitely leave an impact on all who watch. Finally a movie that will challenge the audience with truth and courage instead of a shallow euphoria that fades in minutes. Must see!
  14. K.M.
    Mar 3, 2003
    An event, not a movie, "To End All Wars" touches the mind as well as the heart. A timeless message of hope in an age of suffering.
  15. MikeP.
    Oct 2, 2004
    This is an excellent movie, the narrative is great and dovetails with the movie remarkably. The message of the movie is perhaps too much for people that have hate inside them but it might help others let it go. Aside from the fact that the actors don't get down to skin and bones, the realism is truly remarkable, and I will tell everyone I know that they should watch it. It needs to be seen.
  16. KalebK.
    Oct 31, 2004
    I think every human needs to see this movie. It is quite possibly one the best movies I have ever seen.
  17. StanP.
    Sep 15, 2004
    As a son of a man who served during WWII, and being brought into the world not long after the end of the war, I have been highly instilled with the patriotism for theis country and the men as well as the women who served and gave some if not all the the freedom we noe take for granted. Any form of media that truley portays the history and events of our dark timeof war, wether a biography, As a son of a man who served during WWII, and being brought into the world not long after the end of the war, I have been highly instilled with the patriotism for theis country and the men as well as the women who served and gave some if not all the the freedom we noe take for granted. Any form of media that truley portays the history and events of our dark timeof war, wether a biography, auto-biography, pictures or diaries of these vetrens and their encounters and experiances should be archived and protected for all time so as not to be lost to our new generations. The documentation must be preserved and protected so that all from the past will have an honest conception of patriotism and love for their country and those of the future who have not this conception will be able to learn and know what these soldiers gave for peace they see in their life. Yes there is war going on now, there has been war after the war to end all wars, and surely there will be wars long after the life that you and I know has faded into obscurity. This movie which depics one aspect of one war, based on the experiancs of one man and colborated by many is one such film which should be part of the above mentioned archives. Scaling any movie on a 1 to 10 scale is always a cheat. There are so many ways to look at the final product,(filming, acting, settings, realism, etc. etc.). Yet rating this particular film I never once was distracted by flaws in the machanicle, I was wholey entranced in the realismo f the fact that this is a true stroy and was drawn back in time, to the extent where I personally experianced the cptivity along with the accual men. I edured their hardships as well as the pain inflicted upon each person. I rarely flinch during this sort of adminastration of punishment but this film, at times, brought me out of my chair as well as tears and horroble thoughts of what these men endured. I am aware that a movie can not portray the catastroffic experiances these men suffered, mentaly as well as physicly, during their imprisonment. Actors are trained and schooled to portray such emotions, yet they are still only acting. This film has the one thing others do not and that is the realism of the experiance. A viewer must not concider the machanics and production of this film but become one of the prisoners. One must look and feel and understand the other POWs to feel their love of freedom, country and self. There is no way to rate a movie of this caliber other than to recommend it to every son, daughter, grandchild alive today and all the tomorrows to come. This film as well as a few others concerning what our fathers and grandfathers sacrificed for the good of this country should be a mandatory and required viewing in evey school in this nation. Have I said enough?, for I could express so much more in the field of patriotisn using media. Let me close by stating that "to End all Wars", is rmarkale and will leave you with a rating of 10 as that is highest you have allowed in your rating table. Free and Thankful, Stan....... Expand
  18. JaimieB.
    Sep 17, 2004
    Excellent movie, factually based. Great insight into the mind of the Bushido Code/Warrior as well.
  19. AnthonyT.
    Jan 7, 2005
    A very excellent film that showed the many sides of the Prisoners of War and thier loyalties. But then again being a Scot of Clan MacThomas I cherish my ancestry...and all Scots.
  20. LarryN.
    Jan 9, 2005
    Had never heard of the film, caught it on cable the other night, and after seeing it I can't stop thinking about it. A very well done and powerful film. Absolutely a must see. Larry1050
  21. JulieB.
    Apr 26, 2005
    Not knowing what it was I was renting at the video store, I ended up with this most awesome movie. My husband and I were not prepared for the impact that this movie had. It is in my opinion one of the most inspiring and uplifting movies I have ever seen in my life. I do believe it moved me more than The Passon Of The Christ, but perhaps this is so because there was no hype what so ever.
  22. NunoM.
    May 15, 2005
    Outstanding.
  23. BernardoD.
    Sep 17, 2005
    This movie is based on a true story and covers very similar material to that in "Bridge on The River Kwai". The latter movie is excellent in many ways, especially thanks to its cast, Alec Guinness in particular. This movie which seems to follow a similar plot structure is actually based on a book written by Ernest Gordon, one of the POW's. The set-up between Japanese and Allied POWs This movie is based on a true story and covers very similar material to that in "Bridge on The River Kwai". The latter movie is excellent in many ways, especially thanks to its cast, Alec Guinness in particular. This movie which seems to follow a similar plot structure is actually based on a book written by Ernest Gordon, one of the POW's. The set-up between Japanese and Allied POWs covers familiar ground - principally about the Japanese army's disregard for Rules of War (Geneva and Hague Convention), lack of humanity and out and out war crimes. But, unfortunately, this movie doesn't seem to capture the essence of the tensions that existed in those camps. It tries by using voice-over explanations and interchanges among the soldiers. There are some attempts to show torture and other horrors - and as bad as they may be, they don't seem to connect. The daily fear of not knowing whether one will live or die at any time does not come across with any particular effectiveness. Its talked about - but, the fear is hardly conveyed ... I'm not sure why this is so .... ... This movie does not capture the true horror and crimes committed by the Japanese. It presents a broad-brush paint-by-numbers approach. There is never a feeling that these POWs are in true life-despairing danger, although the portrayal of the danger is the crux of the story. The ability to portray the true fear and inhumanity is not any easy one - two examples of movies where this was truly accomplished are Sophie's Choice, Schindler's List and more recently The Grey Zone. To End All Wars hardly achieves that sort of level - as much as it tries. These criticisms aside, this movie is well worth seeing. There are some strong, powerful performances particularly those of Ciaran McMenamin, James Cosmo and Yugo Saso(the translator). In fact, the combined cast performances are all standouts despite the predictable plot development. In summary - this is a movie worth seeing - for the subject matter - for the production values - and for the strong cast. The weaknesses aren't so evident - there is no sense of time passing - some 3 years or so ... feels like a couple of days .... despite the effort to portray the POWs as suffering - they seem too strong, too quick to recover, and not really suffering as the real Ernest Gordon did ... the use of voice-over tends to be tiresome - and the noble message of forgiveness is absurd .... Japanese war criminals running those prison camps often exceeded the bounds of any humanity ... and regretfully, to this day, there has been no justice and no retribution .... the Japanese guards in this movie are fairly nice - with occasional outbursts of angry behaviour ... maybe that's the failing of the movie .... The director says that he didn't want to be perceived as anti_Japanese .... well, by doing so - the impact becomes limiting .... almost cartoonish in some aspects... Bottom line - this is a flawed movie, interesting to watch - a good history lesson for those not familiar with the facts of those terrible years - and a very strong cast. Expand
  24. AmyR.
    Feb 20, 2006
    Outstanding movie! It amazes me that this movie did not receive more critical acclaim.
  25. DavidR.
    Jul 14, 2008
    Great character study of men at their emotional and physical limits. Sutherland is quite good and Carlyle is perfect. Supporting of Asian actors is remarkable.
  26. ErinC.
    Apr 14, 2003
    Powerful and emotional. This movie was one of the most heart moving movies I have ever seen. The religious message behind it is not overwhelming, but enough to where the point is clearly stated. I would recommend this movie to all.
    Nov 24, 2004
    Absolutely tremendous display of humanity.
  28. JimS.
    Apr 25, 2004
    good
  29. PaulA.
    Jul 16, 2004
    Wonderful.
  30. Peter
    Jul 17, 2004
    Very powerful true story! Beware, Very religious! Great movie!
  31. KathyH.
    Aug 12, 2004
    This is in response to Window Licker's review ("0") of To End All Wars: You are either very young or never grew up. I doubt you would have been able to survive the kind of circumstances the men portrayed in this movie underwent. This is not fiction. This is real life. This is dealing with human beings. This is powerful life questions that every soul must deal with in its darkest This is in response to Window Licker's review ("0") of To End All Wars: You are either very young or never grew up. I doubt you would have been able to survive the kind of circumstances the men portrayed in this movie underwent. This is not fiction. This is real life. This is dealing with human beings. This is powerful life questions that every soul must deal with in its darkest hour. This is the eloquence of Shakespeare, who brings life, light, understanding, beauty and inspiration to the depths of hell. This is a movie about survival and the connection that runs between all human beings, friend or foe. You obviously cannot even begin to appreciate what war means and what the people involved in it have suffered. You do not understand that every single thing that happens in life has to do with love. You need to wake up. Expand
  32. Katie
    Jan 27, 2005
    This movie is INCREDIBLE! I have seen it several times, and each time I see something new and profound. There is so much more to it than just the obvious storyline.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. It is solidly crafted enough from inherently powerful true-life material, however, that WWII buffs and religiously inclined audiences won't be disappointed.
  2. Reviewed by: Dennis Harvey
    Grim in theme yet seldom effective or convincing in execution.
    The dialogue and voice-over narration (by Gordon) are homily-heavy, and the staging sometimes awkward. The prison extras in particular are often left to stare blankly at the gut-wrenching action before them, with many, including Sutherland, looking awfully fit for men who've been starving for years.