6.9

1. Apr 17, 2013
    Pretentious and boring rumination on love, life and religion featuring beautiful but cliched cinematography and characters whose mundane and largely silent existence fails to hold your interest for the film's excruciating two hour running time.
  2. Jun 10, 2013
    HORRIBLE! This is the worst movie that I've watched in my 47 years on this earth. EVERYONE; actors, directors, producers, grips, EVERONE involved in this movie should never be allowed to participate again! This is the WORST movie I've suffered through in my life! Please save your money. Don't even consider it!
  3. Dec 19, 2013
    Like every other Terrance Malick film, this one is gorgeously shot. It is atmospheric and fluid. Sadly, it is also tedious and boring. About halfway into it, I was already wishing it was over. I am big fan of his and think he is brilliant. But tons pointless twirling, an overdose of voice overs, and not much story cause this one to fall way short of Malick's past masterpieces.
  4. Jan 29, 2014
    A waste of two hours. There is no real dialogue but there is a lot of background noise and some pretentious inspirational thoughts. Some nice scenery though.
  5. May 11, 2013
    If you liked "Tree of Life" you'll be in heaven with this latest from writer/director Terrence Malick (there's even some of the same footage). It's all beautiful imagery with poetic VO and almost no dialogue. There's a relationship runaround with Ben Affleck and Olga Kurylenko, where they do lots of silly stuff that people only do in movies…and perfume commercials. Javier Bardem wanders around as a priest. Cinematic poetry and obtuse storytelling. Painfully pretentious for my taste. Expand
  6. Jul 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wonder why so many people seem to like this film. Yes, it is
    different. Affleck hardly has any lines and the lines that he (or Olga)
    have are fragmented and in my opinion pretentious prose. When Javier
    Bardem entered after about half an hour I hoped that the film would
    finally take off. The wonder they refer to must be that anyone would
    sit this out. I was about the 10th person that left, in a small cinema
    of about 150 seats.
  7. Apr 23, 2013
    While not the most talentless director, Terrance Malick is definitely the most self absorbed, telling stories he and only he wants to tell and more importantly hear. The tales he weaves are so personal that hardly anyone can interpret them and that's exactly what you have to do despite the fact to do so requires the enigma machine. The film follows a man (Ben Affleck) and woman (Olga Kurylenko) who contemplate love, loss, religion and forgiveness as the man reconnects with a past flame (Rachel McAdams) and the woman longs to find a place she can call home. My main problem with to the wonder lies in the fact that the film is plot free, there is no story here to tell and because of this the film is terribly dull, a monotonous journey through passing thoughts and the moments between the interesting things that happen in a persons life. The film lives in a world so disconnected from the one its pretending to live in, the characters are drained of all emotion, any semblance of character or purpose, they merely exist in a place where nothing at all happens. Malick, like with Tree of Life doesn't care so much about character (if at all) but in themes and messages. To the Wonder has plenty to say in terms of themes and messages but no way for anyone to read it, watching it isn't enough unfortunately. These characters ponder philosophy as part of their own inner monologues but without any human emotion behind it they just sound half cut, as if the bartender forgot to say enough is enough. These people are constantly in their own heads and as a human action its fine, but as characters in a movie they never say a meaningful spoken word and I argue they never say a single meaningful thing in the psychobabble that accompanies their depressingly pitiful existences. The film depicts a couple so broken that everyone leaves them but you never feel sorry for them because the characters Malick depicts are dreadful, reprehensible people. I'd comment on the acting but none was really required as if Malick just told his stars to wander and gosh darn think about something poignant, it's just too bad we couldn't see what they were thinking about. To the Wonder is Malick's worst film to date yet arguably his most personal, however if this is his idea of personal I'd rather he try to stay out of his own head and try to emulate someone else. Expand
  8. Apr 7, 2014
    Have to admit this was bad. I love Malick's other movies, but this was not good. Felt unfinished, rushed, poorly edited, poorly cast, even the actors didn't seem to know what they were doing in parts. The fact that he is making 3 movies consecutively after doing a handful in 40 years, might be telling.

Dialog is not even understandable in parts. Characters thin, except for the
    female lead. Just felt like there wasn't enough there. Expand
  9. Apr 27, 2013
    I enjoyed Malick's "Thin Red Line" due in large part to an amazing performance by Nick Nolte. But "To the Wonder" has to be one of the most boring movies I can remember watching. Painfully slow and repetitive.
  10. Jun 1, 2014
    Malick is undoubtedly a brilliant director, who has achieved much success from previous films. But, the mediocre story line and monotonous performance has truly reflected upon it's predecessor, The Tree of Life and has proven Malick's incapability to cope with what the young audience wants, especially those who demand fertile romances.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    May 2, 2013
    The movie is intentionally elusive, like a memory you can’t quite fully recall, but the result has all the depth and weight of a greeting card.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Apr 26, 2013
    Is Malick deliberately courting self-parody here? Probably not. That would imply he had a sense of humor.
  3. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Apr 25, 2013
    Affleck has two expressions, a smirk and a scowl. Bardem never changes expression at all: Whatever he’s saying comes out with a dispassionate, hangdog glumness. Perhaps he watched the daily rushes once too often.