7.3

1. Nov 11, 2013
    Tomboy is cute, catchy, all adjectives that refer to something that leaves the viewer spellbound and the children give an acting class for many adults, but in the end, does not show much.
  2. Aug 18, 2012
    It is just absolutely mind blowing that this movie has gotten so many good reviews. It's so terrible. I've never seen such a slow movie with uninteresting to no dialogue whatsoever.
  3. Mar 9, 2012
    I really enjoyed it, but I feel like it could've been much more. It's very visceral, and the casting was outstanding, even the sister was quite incredible. But the script, the plot, was a bit shallow. Ultimately it had one point, one message and it covered it quite extensively, but I really wish it was more substantial.

I'm quite the fan of coming of age films, but this was the most
    shallow one I've seen yet. If you compare this to to something like à Expand
  4. Dec 1, 2011
    A classic example of a good French movie. Deep, thoughtful, intense without too much action.
    I do not remember a movie where children would act so naturally. My only complain: a bit slow at times.

1. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jan 27, 2012
    Although Tomboy is as tightly constructed as a short story and as seemingly straightforward as a documentary, the parable about a small fib that grows out of control is so rooted in the rich soil of sexual identity that it entangles us.
  2. Reviewed by: J.R. Jones
    Jan 26, 2012
    Writer-director Celine Sciamma breaks little ground here, but her story is nicely scaled to the gender-rigid world of childhood, where boys playing soccer together take as much pride in their spitting skills as any scored goal.
  3. Reviewed by: Roger Ebert
    Jan 25, 2012
    Tomboy is tender and affectionate. It shows us Laure/Mikael in an adventure that may be forgotten in adulthood or may form her adulthood.