7.3

1. Jan 2, 2015
    More often than not, I am drawn into films regarding a journey through wilderness. Tracks is no different. Perhaps the most powerful aspect of a journey like this is the act of discovery. Through Mia Wasikowska we are able to vividly discover Robyn's life and mind.
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    Engaging, if not engrossing, true story of one woman's trek across 1700 miles of Australian desert with just 4 camels and a dog for company. The film leisurely draws you in to its slight but unusual story which is based on, first a national geographic article, and subsequently a book. For so little dramatic incident on show the film achieves much just to hold the interest of a seeminglyEngaging, if not engrossing, true story of one woman's trek across 1700 miles of Australian desert with just 4 camels and a dog for company. The film leisurely draws you in to its slight but unusual story which is based on, first a national geographic article, and subsequently a book. For so little dramatic incident on show the film achieves much just to hold the interest of a seemingly foolhardy venture. To its credit it manages to produce some quite emotional moments along the way.
    Looking very much like a young Sissy Spacek, an ever improving Mia Wasikowska gives her best performance to date as the intrepid adventurer Robyn Davidson who did this for real in 1977.
    The film is lovingly photographed and full of beautiful imagery, like the shadow of a plane flying overhead, or a snake slithering across Wasikowska as she sleeps. But this is not beauty for beauty's sake as the film is also successful in emphasising the unforgiving nature of the Australian outback. It's just that it looks gorgeous doing it. The drama is also permeated by a haunting score which acts like the heart beat of the film.
    On the negative side there are a couple of incidents of animals being killed which may depict real life but is definitely not to my taste.
  3. Jun 28, 2015
    Adam Driver and Mia Wasikowska were amazing enchanted in this movie. They both are great actors. I like the whole journey-plot and background scenes being cherished from the start to the end and the true story footage in the end. The dramatic cliche to bring the true story became lovable to watch really nailed it. I almost afraid if it's going to be like 'Into The Wild' but it's not. Even,Adam Driver and Mia Wasikowska were amazing enchanted in this movie. They both are great actors. I like the whole journey-plot and background scenes being cherished from the start to the end and the true story footage in the end. The dramatic cliche to bring the true story became lovable to watch really nailed it. I almost afraid if it's going to be like 'Into The Wild' but it's not. Even, the ending was really beautiful. So, cool for me. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Oct 3, 2014
    Even with a voice-over narration, and conversations with her dog, Robyn's nomadic quest is full of grand silences, all the better to take in the sky, the rocks, the world spinning underfoot. Wasikowska plays this wordless wanderer just right. That is, she makes her real.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Baker
    Oct 3, 2014
    Director John Curran is an American who has spent much of his career in Australia. I admired his movie "The Painted Veil" and think he captured the essence of Davidson's journey of discovery in Tracks.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Oct 1, 2014
    To my mind, movies about watching nomads walk rank alongside movies about writers writing: The action is dull and endlessly repetitive, and most of the interesting stuff occurs in the mind’s interior.