Tracks

7.4

1. Jan 2, 2015
    More often than not, I am drawn into films regarding a journey through wilderness. Tracks is no different. Perhaps the most powerful aspect of a journey like this is the act of discovery. Through Mia Wasikowska we are able to vividly discover Robyn's life and mind.
  2. Sep 25, 2014
    Engaging, if not engrossing, true story of one woman's trek across 1700 miles of Australian desert with just 4 camels and a dog for company. The film leisurely draws you in to its slight but unusual story which is based on, first a national geographic article, and subsequently a book. For so little dramatic incident on show the film achieves much just to hold the interest of a seeminglyEngaging, if not engrossing, true story of one woman's trek across 1700 miles of Australian desert with just 4 camels and a dog for company. The film leisurely draws you in to its slight but unusual story which is based on, first a national geographic article, and subsequently a book. For so little dramatic incident on show the film achieves much just to hold the interest of a seemingly foolhardy venture. To its credit it manages to produce some quite emotional moments along the way.
    Looking very much like a young Sissy Spacek, an ever improving Mia Wasikowska gives her best performance to date as the intrepid adventurer Robyn Davidson who did this for real in 1977.
    The film is lovingly photographed and full of beautiful imagery, like the shadow of a plane flying overhead, or a snake slithering across Wasikowska as she sleeps. But this is not beauty for beauty's sake as the film is also successful in emphasising the unforgiving nature of the Australian outback. It's just that it looks gorgeous doing it. The drama is also permeated by a haunting score which acts like the heart beat of the film.
    On the negative side there are a couple of incidents of animals being killed which may depict real life but is definitely not to my taste.
  3. Jun 28, 2015
    Adam Driver and Mia Wasikowska were amazing enchanted in this movie. They both are great actors. I like the whole journey-plot and background scenes being cherished from the start to the end and the true story footage in the end. The dramatic cliche to bring the true story became lovable to watch really nailed it. I almost afraid if it's going to be like 'Into The Wild' but it's not. Even,Adam Driver and Mia Wasikowska were amazing enchanted in this movie. They both are great actors. I like the whole journey-plot and background scenes being cherished from the start to the end and the true story footage in the end. The dramatic cliche to bring the true story became lovable to watch really nailed it. I almost afraid if it's going to be like 'Into The Wild' but it's not. Even, the ending was really beautiful. So, cool for me. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2016
    Featuring an endlessly quotable script, visually striking cinematography, and a powerhouse performance from Mia Wasikowska, Tracks is a wonderful film. The latest work from director John Curran, Tracks tells the inspirational story of Robyn Davidson's voyage across the Australian outback. The film is a truly emotional journey into the self as one of the toughest women I have ever seen inFeaturing an endlessly quotable script, visually striking cinematography, and a powerhouse performance from Mia Wasikowska, Tracks is a wonderful film. The latest work from director John Curran, Tracks tells the inspirational story of Robyn Davidson's voyage across the Australian outback. The film is a truly emotional journey into the self as one of the toughest women I have ever seen in film tackles the elements. It is both inspirational and truly tragic at times, but I guess that comes with all demanding journeys. This film feels truly authentic and captured the true spirit of a journey of this sorts, while also not shying away from portraying Davidson's struggles along the way that she had to pick herself up from. Even more, it did a good job portraying her backstory and motivation for beginning the journey in the first place. The film is a beautiful and expansive look at this woman's journey sans Hollywoodization as would typically happen. As a whole, Tracks is a film that inspires you to embark on your own journeys and leave your own tracks on the world, wherever they may be. Expand
  5. Sep 24, 2015
    Leaving tracks behind reminds what we've achieved.

Leaving tracks behind reminds what we've achieved.

This movie was inspired by the true story of an Australian woman called Robyn Davidson. Her nine month journey with the company of four camels and her dog to crossing the Australian desert was told superbly. The earlier attempt to turn Robyn's memoir into a movie was unsuccessful, till now. It was a similar theme to the movie 'Into the Wild' and you must go for it if you liked that movie. But it is only the 50% of that, maybe, because of how it begins, proceed and ends. I mean no development in the earlier story and don't know what happens afterwards, but everything told was particular mission.

What an amazing movie, it kind of reminds the another Australian movie 'Last Ride'. Travelling across the Australian plateau, wow, simply breathtaking. In a movie everything are covered within the timeframe. That is why few movies fail to bring the real occurrence on the screen. This movie has the same issue like, feels everything happened so fast. But gives what we wanted to know, Robyn's daring challenge since her father was disappeared in a similar quest when she was a little girl. So she tries to fulfill her father's dream. Between that this story also recalls her childhood memories when her mother died and had a hard time while parting from a beloved pet dog.

''Australia has the largest feral camel population in the world. I just needed three of them.''

This is the best performance by Mia Wasikowska I have seen since 'Jane Eyre'. Direction, music and technically everything looked so fine. As it was based on the wild side happening story they covered a few beauties of Australia, but in a harsh manner. The story demanded like that way. There is also an emotional scene, might bring tears in the eyes of tender-hearted. I hope they did not harm the animals during the making of this flick, because it looked surreal when wild camels were shot down. Every time we watch a movie, we learn something. I thought camels were so adorable creatures, but in this movie, it really scared me. Next time when I go near to a live camel I should be a careful. Anyway, this is one of the must see biographical movie, especially if you love nature and adventurous subjects. Of course an inspiring movie as well like 'Kon-Tiki' to show the world what our ancestors did in the early age.

9.5/10

1. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Oct 3, 2014
    Even with a voice-over narration, and conversations with her dog, Robyn's nomadic quest is full of grand silences, all the better to take in the sky, the rocks, the world spinning underfoot. Wasikowska plays this wordless wanderer just right. That is, she makes her real.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Baker
    Oct 3, 2014
    Director John Curran is an American who has spent much of his career in Australia. I admired his movie "The Painted Veil" and think he captured the essence of Davidson's journey of discovery in Tracks.
  3. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Oct 1, 2014
    To my mind, movies about watching nomads walk rank alongside movies about writers writing: The action is dull and endlessly repetitive, and most of the interesting stuff occurs in the mind’s interior.