4.9

1. Jul 22, 2014
    I joined Metacritic purely so I could rate this latest pile of nonsense from Mr Bay. Even Dark of the Moon had a couple of decent moments during its bum numbing running time but now he has hit a real low. This is by far the worst of his films (I love Armageddon and The Rock). The plot is overblown and the running time far too long. I actually fell asleep at one stage (at about 5.50 pm) Far worst still is the script and I quote Male lead to 17 year old female love interest "Take hold of the stick (gear stick), she's the best at it". Stanley Tucci (shame on you Mr Tucci) has replaced Ken Jeong in the annoying slapstick role. Finally the picture quality looked positively Low Definition compared to the Planet of the Apes 3D. Expand
  2. Jul 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OMG this movie was amazing! From start to end this movie was fantastic. Mark Wahlberg was great in the movie. Cade Yeager was a much better character then Sam Witwicky. Kelsey grammar was a great human villan (even though he died in the end.during during the battle between Optimus and Lockdown). Optimus prime is once again a true bad ass and Peter Cullen performance was excelent, but the sceen stealer is not the Dinobots (more on that later), but it is Lockdown (the bounty hunter).
    He was awsome and he was a better transformer villan then all of the villans in last three movies (megatron, the fallen and sentinal prime). now onto the dinobots and they were awsome. The best one is still Grimlock because he was more useful then the 3 others (slug, strafe and scorn) and seeing optimus prime riding grimlock into action against Galvatron and his drones in Hong Kong was a childhood dream come true :).
    One last thing is the ending where Optimus is flying into space to find his creators that Lockdown talked about when he was captured after that chase scene in Chicago with the Seed and Galvatron wowing to fight Prime another day. Optimus's end speech was great and it tells me that Transformers 5 is going to awsome.
    Overall Transformers Age Of Extinction is an amazing movie and in my opinion the best movie of 2014 so far. Its better then Cap 2, Godzilla and Xmen days of future past.
    Out of all of the four movies this is the best one. 10/10 and go out and see it if you haven't and expect a fun experience instead of a Oscar worthy movie.
  3. Jul 20, 2014
    Thank god for the robots as the actors with a sub-standard script nearly ruin the movie!

Bay - you dont have to only use lambos, paganis and other supercars - theres plenty of classics out there without (as an earlier reviewer said) choosing your cars like you choose your female actors - that being purely on looks with no substance!

The movie dragged on too long to shoehorn pointless
    scenes in to what is a chaotic plot which struggles to keep coherence.

Whilst we all accept a but of "unrealism" - Motorbike stunts which would leave people with broken limbs, flying vehicles crashing which would leave (unbelted/secured) passengers with a broken neck along with wahlbergs repeated whiney "i love my daughter you're all that matters to me" makes getting through the first half of the movie hard work.

When wahlberg proceeds to use his men-in-black style cricket gun to obliterate enemies that optimus can't seem to dent with his sword I gave up on hoping for the movie to redeem itself.

Frasier shouldnt have been in the cast - again another character who repeats his mantra, this one being "ive worked 20years for my country, i have no money now i want to get paid" - I would have preferred to have seen him killed off half an hour in.

Stanley Tuccis unfortunate role as an ironic "poor-mans" tony stark billionaire attempt - his bipolar switch from greedy millionaire to selfless goofy romantic is really sloppy and non-nonsensical.

I love good action scenes but the last hour left you with action-fatigue as bay rams in as many locations and city obliterating weapons as he can.

galvatron was the main threat when his 50+ bots start trashing Hong Kong, but then we switch to the bounty hunter for the rest of the movie, galvatron must take a coffee break for half an hour because he doesnt seem to get involved until after the autobots deal with the bounty hunter...

For the next one bay - stick with 95% transformers as your cast or spend a bit more on the script before this franchise drops off a cliff.
  4. Jul 18, 2014
    Another crap from michael bay. This is I think worse in the series and by far has the thinnest plot of them all. MIchael bay didn't learn from his past mistakes. He repeats the same old story in the same old manner. Loud noises, robots who looks like junk, forcing humans unnecessarily in the fight, basically as same as his previous movies. Michael bay needs to stop now.
  5. Jul 18, 2014
    Both scores, professional and public, ring false. Feels like a few lonely voices nattering as Transformers makes its way to another billion dollars or more. Somebody is flocking to the theaters to see this movie in defiance of those who see it as some sort of IQ dissolver. Well, the movie was entertaining. Mark Wahlberg brought some welcome energy to the movie. And Michael "laughing al the way to the bank" Bay did his job, as expected. Lengthwise one certainly got their money's worth. There was a tonne of new stuff. So, who are these whingers? Some class of movie intelligentsia dedicated to stamping out mindless big summer billion dollar movies? The movie is for children and anyone who doesn't have a bit of child left in them is in a sorry state indeed. My kid loved it; and he has an IQ well above average. Expand
  6. Jul 17, 2014
    The first half build up was good but it just went wrong after that. The rest of the movie is filled with mindless action and explosions sadly. Its a pity it didn't stay good. I give it a 6 because I wasn't bored just slightly annoyed with the direction.
  7. Jul 17, 2014
    Wow, what a crap of the movie! One of the most boring action movie created by human kind, and its Transformers, wow, Michael Bay just surpassed himself! Three hour of complete waste of everyone's time
  8. Jul 17, 2014
    Had great expectations, waited almost an year and to be frank enough, it was one of the greatest disappointments i have had. Poor storyline, well keeping aside the basic contents that are common in all the movies, the script lacks a backbone. Few good action sequences and the graphics(which is quite remarkable) are the the only positive points i can raise after watching this movie. Not many expectations for the sequel after this. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2014
    Transformers: age of extinction - a bitter disappointment. usually I a quite a fan of Michael Bay's moving camera and grand action sequences with lots of explosions but I can't help but feel this time he has gone a little too far. with the new introduction with Mark Wahlberg was a good move for this series as he brings a more action role to the movie however the other additions was left a little flat with barely any back story and no chemistry between the daughter and alleged driving boyfriend. over all I i would not recommend this film it leaves a bad taste in your mouth for watching it, however i will still watch the next follow up if there ever will be another transformers film. Expand
  10. Jul 15, 2014
    While this film is not perfect it is an improvement among the previous instalments mark walberg is brilliant the plot makes enough scenes to carry you thought the long length and the action is very on point in addition to this this film just about fingered out what elements to leave behind leaving us with a average robot flick
  11. Jul 14, 2014
    Okay, Optimus Prime is back! Lots of components were added to the film, just like the new 'dinobots'. However, this is the sad part: the film has about 3 hours of boring and, somehow, clichéd scenes. Your first desire in the first 40 minutes is to go home and leave the film behind. The first " epic robot transformation" happens after these dull 40 minutes and it is when the film tries to hold you a bit longer on your seats. In a nutshell, the story has no sense whatsoever; there are only fights scenes and nonsense explosions amongst robots, a chin-up teenager girl and her father trying to afford a better life, and unfortunately, the story goes on. Unless you want to get bored quickly, I recommend you to try another film. Expand
  12. Jul 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I definitely enjoyed this movie. It was definitely better than the 2nd or 3rd and almost better than the first. Marky Mark was definitely better the Shia in all aspects. The only MAJOR issue was the "Irish Boyfriend." Mark calls him "lucky charms" but I only remember an accent in one or two scenes. Terrible commitment to an accent. Other than that, I liked the story and the dialogue. Stanley Tucci was great is usual... Expand
  13. Jul 14, 2014
    Loud, incoherent, unnecessarily violent, and unbelievably simple-minded, Transformers: Age of Extinction is a 2 and a half-hour long headache that brings the franchise to a seemingly impossible all-new low.
  14. Jul 13, 2014
    So disappointed with this movie. The first three were mediocre and I was hoping for a better character connection than Shia La'boeuf gave us. BOY WAS I SO WRONG! Mark Wahlberg's character development was horrid as for his daughter's acting and development is even worse. Her boyfriend doesn't seem to make such stand in this movie, as for we don't get much dialogue from him leaving out the cliche cheesy jokes he makes.

The movie is way too f****ng long, standing at about 3 hours. The CGI does make up for whatever the hell is going on, as for there are over 3 stories going on at once. Also, I am a HUGE fan of Transformers G1 and I got to say, I don't remember Galvatron being a truck.

The Dinobots only show up in the last 20 minutes also, and I didn't really understand why Grimlock didn't talk either, as for I remember him talking in G1. And for the last of my review, the Dinobots scene was confusing and painful to watch.

This movie was a major let down and I feel bad that people spent their money to go watch this in the theaters.

Michael Bay, 'nuff said.
  15. Jul 12, 2014
    Perfect title for a long-dead franchise. Watch reruns of the 80's classic and that's all she wrote...........I suppose for fans of this horrible series, you get more of it so you win. Sad how humanity can dwell to such acceptable lows.
  16. Jul 12, 2014
    Well, look on the bright side, it's better than the other Transformers movies, by far in fact. Although that isn't saying much, Transformers: Age Of Extinction is genuinely not an awful, nor even bad film, just a flawed one. Michael Bay, despite common misconception is not an inherently bad film-maker, and although he has his fair share of massive misfires, this movie is less so a trainwreck and more so a misfire on a smaller scale than some of his previous efforts at a Transformers movie. Expand
  17. Jul 12, 2014
    Wow, what a total letdown! I thought this movie could be at least entertaining in that typical Michael Bay fashion. However, even Bay's love for over the top explosions has officially went sour. Not even the brand new cast could have saved any redeeming quality about this crap fest of explosions and sh*tty story telling. Literally the only good thing about the movie was the first 3 minutes or so. After that, it all went down from there. If your a film lover, SAVE YOURSELF from this embarrassment! Overall, it's one of the worst if not the worst in the franchise thus far! I'm still debating between this and the second one! Either way, it gets an F for FAILURE! Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2014
    I loved this movie. Sure, there were a few corny lines here and there, and some obvious toy marketing, but this was just a really fun movie. I haven't really enjoyed much about the other Transformers movies, but with Age of Extinction it feels like Michael Bay has finally learned how to make an actual good movie. I would gladly see this one again.

Also, Frank Welker voicing the same
    character he did in the animated series and video games. That blew my socks off. I really want a few good monologues out of him in the next movie!

To sum it up: This movie FINALLY seems to get the Transformers right on the big screen. This is really a must-see.
  19. Jul 11, 2014
    In the beginning I thought that was a just another action movie with a median story, but I realized that it was worse, the plot is horrible and there are a lot of holes that did not make sense, the film is too long and there is too many secondary characters that make everything more confuse. The action scenes are amazing and there are great special effects, but that's not enough.
  20. Jul 11, 2014
    It might be the best Transformers movie ever made, but it still suffers with serious mistakes.

The opening plot was amazing, and the 3D is stunning. The first half of the movie was highly entertaining, because it's so damn unique. But when it came to the second part it felt like I already have seen this, so it was a bit lengthy. The main disadvantages with this fourth installment of
    Transformers is that they changed the main character. Another thing is that the 3D could have had more effects. As the previous movies from Michael Bay, they suffer with weird storylines and bad endings, which is exactly what Age Of Extinction have. The CGI is the best I’ve seen in a Transformers movie, and yes there are much negative things in this movie, but I had a good time watching this. The reasons are that it’s so damn unique and entertaining to watch, and the action is spectacular!

The most groovy Transformers movie to date.

Transformers: Age Of Extinction gets a 7/10
  21. Jul 11, 2014
    Transformers: Age of Extinction is Michael Bay's 4th movie in the series, and at first glance it seems like this sequel is a departure from the previous 3 movies in the franchise. Brand new actors, Transformers, stories, and so on are all packed in here. Does it sound like this movie will be a change to the series, and maybe even for the better? The true answer is this: TF4 is the same movie as the previous ones, and that's not good. Michael Bay tried to make us care about the characters in this movie, especially the main family that includes Mark Wahlberg as the one and only father, Nicola Peltz as his daughter, and Jack Reynor as the daughter's boyfriend. At first, I started giving a slight amount of care towards them. However, as the movie progressed, the dialogue with them just became completely stupid, and I didn't care about them in the end. Speaking of dialogue, it is awful. Michael Bay still puts his terrible humor and one-liners in there. In terms of story, it becomes so similar to the past films, which also means it becomes jumbled and clunky. In my eyes, most people come to see the Transformers movies to see non-stop action and explosions and amazing visual effects. I will admit that the visual effects set a new bar for the franchise. The action at its core, though? It's exactly what you would expect out of a Michael Bay film. The first few scenes of the action entertained me. Then, it just went on and on and on, and it got so tiring. As a very young child, I loved dinosaurs. TF4 has something awesome: DINOBOTS. Yeah, no. They are only in there for a few action scenes, and they brought nothing new to the table. Great. The only thing good in this movie, as I said before, were the special and visual effects. However, even that should be expected out of this franchise and this day and age. Everything else wasn't good at all, and I walked out knowing that every other movie that would come out of this franchise here on out would be the same. Expand
  22. Jul 11, 2014
    My god! Michael Bay is so awsome at directing films. The film was funny, action packed and heart pounding. The Protaganist kade (Mark Whalberg) Produced an amazing performance and I cannot understand why people hate Michael Bay. I would'nt take your 4 year old child for bad language and adult humor but an all around great film!
  23. Jul 11, 2014
    This movie for me wasnt as bad as some people put it. Its got some bad things, yes, but can you really expect a movie to be 100%? I did have to admit that the film was decades long but sometimes its long for a reason; to build up the characters. I liked the special effects and it had some gripping moments. The plot was ok, but if you never watched transformers, then you will have no idea who is who. I really liked the dinosaurs as well but I can see where people are coming from. Not the best film but fight scenes, emotional scenes, funny scenes, they all seemed legit. There were times where they included humor in places not need. Example, the Soya Milk scene... That wasnt really needed because that wasnt what you would do, but it was nice to have some humor. For me 8/10 would be appropriate. Expand
  24. Jul 11, 2014
    I went to see this movie with low expectations as i was not a huge fan of the first three movies. I feel this film broke free from the common ground of the last two (World ending, 2 hours of fighting, not much plot or anything else). Don't get me wrong this film is very much in line with those movies but instead of the constant war we get some nice plot and much needed breaks in the action, this helped pace the movie better and also let the viewers get to know the Autobots more where as the other movies just threw in new ones with no personality or care whatsoever. This film is far from perfect, it's 2hr 45min run time is very long but i feel the pacing was sufficient and the time did not drag except for a few places here and there, the dinobots were also underutilized a lot which was to be expected really as it would have been a short film with such powerful bots with them at all times. Overall i would say this was a fun action movie for the summer, plenty of fun car chases that hark back to old 70's chase films, plenty of robot action and some enjoyable story aspects make this, in my opinion, the best transformers yet, not perfect, but definitely an improvement and definitely worth a watch. Expand
  25. Jul 10, 2014
    The best transformers movie ever..................Dont listen to others who say its a bad film.They dont know anything about how to review a movie.Awesome story,awesome action,and awesome humours.A must watch in the theatres.
  26. Jul 10, 2014
    I went to the cinema expecting to watch a bad movie, and Michael Bay did it, he makes an art of doing bad movies, cool explosions thought. No, no really, even the explosions were bad, as well as the characters and the dialogs. A very bad movie and a mediocre spectacle.(Sorry for my english)
  27. Jul 10, 2014
    Hate to see that China is involving so much in the movie.
    I am personally from HK and its really upsetting to hear the line "we need to call the central government for help now"! and "the central government will defend Hong Kong at all costs"!
    can the chinese please dont ruin the movie with the political issues... you want to show the world that hk is under china and china will protect
    hk?! please fuxk off this is totally not the truth

And i wonder who would open the fridge and get a drink in the middle of a fight. not to mention the scene was shoot in hk but the soya milk is from FUXKING china and not hk.

overall the plot is poor acting is poor.. the worse part... the movie is a joint production between Paramount Pictures and two fuxking Chinese companies - China Movie Channel and Jiaflix Enterprises
  28. Jul 10, 2014
    While this technically stunning film offers everything a boy could want ... sexy cars turn giant robots, massive mayhem, and destruction on a global scale, it is a 3-hour movie that loses its "spark" at the 2-hour mark. Getting to know the new characters goes well, even though the hot boyfriend is unnecessarily made out to be a sissy in the beginning, but when the movie reaches an obvious conclusion at two hours, they launch into another adventure that lacks substance while filling another entire hour with senseless pandemonium and annihilation. I thought the third hour would make an excellent beginning to the "next" movie, but nobody asked me. Expand
  29. Jul 10, 2014
    The original, Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon were all fairly adequate Transformers films, but suffered due to the direction it took, Michael Bay is by no means a bad director, and with the arrival of the fourth film, Transformers: Age of Extinction is a step in the right direction, it steered clear of some of what made the previous films less enjoyable, while it may not have been enough to compensate for the previous films, they successfully make up for it by including new and refreshing elements such as Dinobots and Transformers & Humans that have actual personalities, in addition, there are little winks and nods hidden within the film, Mark Wahlberg is a very welcome protagonist to the film and Peter Cullen completely embodies the role of Optimus Prime, additionally, the visuals and special effects were outstanding, especially the details Watching this film in IMAX is a unique experience, and I recommend watching it in IMAX if you can, it's worth it Expand
  30. Jul 10, 2014
    This is a movie that you should know what you are in for before entering the theatre. I asked my wife if she wanted to go and received the expected "are you kidding?" Giant robots ripping things apart, action scenes, destruction, lame dialogue . . . it met all expectations. I would not rate this as high as Pacific Rim or Godzilla but worth the price of admission just to see it on the big screen. People who are looking for an "experience" or tear jerker; wait in line for Notebook 2 or 3; I liked it!! Expand
  31. Jul 10, 2014
    I haven't seen much of the previous Transformers movies so I went in with no idea what to expect. The film as a whole was quite mind numbing, with so much fights scenes you can ever see the end of it. 40/50% of the dialogue is 'cheeky' one liners through all of the action. It's good to look at, but there isn't much else. The movie feels very long winded and you find yourself not caring much for the family and/or even the autobots. Expand
  32. Jul 9, 2014
    Soy fanatico de Transformers, pero esta pelicula es una porqueria, de hecho, de las peores de ciencia ficcion que vi. La espere con muchas ganas y me desepciono totalmente. Pasadas dos horas de pelicula no tiene historia, los personajes son insulsos. 40 minutos de inicio donde no termina explicando nada. 2 hs de pelea sin sentido, tampoco tiene grandes graficos o efectos y el 3d deja bastante que desear. Los villanos son muy basicos y casi que no se sabe quienes son o que quieren, y son todos iguales, no se distinguen. A los autobots cada vez los hacen mas parecidos a las personas. Pasaron de no tener sangre en la 1 y 2 a tener sangre roja en la 3 a tener sangre verde en la 4. Muy a mi pesar la tengo que calificar negativamente Expand
  33. Jul 8, 2014
    It could have been a great movie, bit it FAILS ON EVERY LEVEL. Human characters are boring and cliché, plot doesnt make sense, even hardcore fans will admit is confussing, action sequences dont bring anything new. please dont waste your money
  34. Jul 8, 2014
    Going in with proper expectations, I quite enjoyed this movie. It didn't feel extra long unlike other movies. The story was actually interesting and helped connect the action scenes, the part I care for more than the dialog. Mark Whalberg as a nerd was funny, but his lines could have been shorter and wittier. Stanley Tucci was a delight.
  35. Jul 8, 2014
    I enjoyed Transformers Age of Extinction to the point that I watched it twice and snuck into the showings that had started a bit after mine so that I could simply catch that last 30-45 mins. Negative reviews are partly based on the fact that we had seen this before and that it was all done before. And that’s valid. But I approach each film by seeing if the transformers film I want to watch is playing before me. And so far it wasn’t. It had dogs humping, robots peeing, masturbation jokes, very little robot action, and blurry action when you got it, and an abundance of comic relief characters. I hate them all (comic relief characters and films)!
    And then I got this one. It had all the robot action I could need, and clean longer shots you could follow, the robots were distinguishable, and the humans didnt piss me off to no end. You might find this a very juvenile list of needs, but we are talking about a movie based off a toy line in the 80s. For so many films I just kept thinking “how hard is it to mess this up, it’s about giant robots fighting, just show us that” and I finally got it. I finally got my big dumb robot film that doesn’t annoy me. Now, I never ever need to watch the other ones again. It might suck that this is the same film as the others for you, but I am thankful because to me it’s the better version of the film Michael Bay was always trying to make, and I am glad that I now have a transformers movie I can bear to rewatch. That’s my review!
  36. Jul 8, 2014
    The film was made good, a lot of amazing special effects. But the storyline is lost in the middle of the film.
    Very ill-conceived storyline, sometimes it is very boring. But all in all film is good
  37. Jul 7, 2014
    Not nearly as bad as the professional critics would have you believe but not the glorified film making the diehard fans describe either. Overall, the movie takes the franchise in a new plot direction but the film making formula is the same. The action is enjoyable and the special effects are some of the best I have ever seen. Overly long but worth it if you have 3 hours to kill. I hope the sequel is tighter and more coherent because this movie is a great spectacle at least. Expand
  38. Jul 7, 2014
    Pésima película, historia sin sentido; actuaciones mal logradas. Lo únio bueno que puedo decir son sus efectos especiales, fueron muy bien logrados. Pero a estás alturas ya todo es de relleno, debió haberse quedado en la segunda.
  39. Jul 7, 2014
    Much better than the others, but it is still much too little for it to break the prototype. And a sign to change the director. Name Spielberg nothing is impossible here.
  40. Jul 7, 2014
    Iacting, or a combination of both. Every scene with humans in it was bad. From the annoying hippie surfer guy, to Wahlberg's useless and Iacting, or a combination of both. Every scene with humans in it was bad. From the annoying hippie surfer guy, to Wahlberg's useless and pointless daughter (steel cables scene) and her boyfriend, to the Steve Jobs imitator and his " transformium," it was bad.
    The plot had more holes than swiss cheese. While I don't expect the best from these movies, I do expect they asstay consistent within their already established fictional world and the rules therein. This movie did not. It was as if powers and characters were created out of lazy writing rather than to add to the narrative. One character instantly revitalized himself and later gained the ability to fly when there was no ability ever before. Would of been useful earlier in the movie. Guess he forgot he could do that.
    Three hours was too long. Yet, almost felt too short since that time was mismanaged. There will be expected character appearances with zero explanations.

I am writing this to save people some money. Just rent this later.

I am writing this to save people some money. Just rent this later.
  41. Jul 7, 2014
    I think this movie doesn't deserve all the negativity it's getting. I thought it was a really entertaining summer action movie and I didn't mind it was almost 3 hours long, because it was entertaining.

The first hour was really boring and nothing much happened, I was just waiting for more action and less talking (the conversations were really boring too). But once the action started, it
    was really good. The conversations got more interesting, the humor got better and I cared more about the characters.

The score was great too, especially in the last 45 minutes. It had a really epic feeling and it really added to the action. One of the things some critics (like JeremyJahns) said was that the visual effects were bad. I really didn't think so, it looked very good (except for the scene where Stanley Tucci shows the "Transformium", that looked extremely fake).

I thought Mark Wahlberg was a much better lead role than Shia LaBeouf, I cared more about his character, and the acting by the other actors was okay.

I think this movie was better than Transformers 2 and 3, and I really enjoyed it, so I'm giving it a 7/10.
  42. Jul 7, 2014
    this is a good film I don't know what movie alot of people watched and posted there review here or they are on drugs, the other 3 films are better but that doesn't mean this one is bad, this movie should be watched for the dinobots alone
  43. Jul 7, 2014
    NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NONONONONONONONO. NOT ANOTHER MICHAEL **** BAY MOVIE. I am so sick of Michael Bay now. He is probably the worst director in the world. He needs to STOP. Although, the only scene I liked in the movie was when Rainbow Dash made a cameo. That was pretty cool. But with all to the respect, I suggest don't watch that movie. It sucks.
  44. Jul 6, 2014
    Micheal Bay, you have done it again. Transformers Age Of Extinction is another 2hr Micheal Bay dream. And if you really want to watch a movie with explosions and robots- Real Steel or Pacific Rim are good choices. Mark Walhberg plays a mechanic who finds a transformer and then all hell breaks loose. You know, I was kinda hyped for this movie. I was hoping for a good action movie, but no it was like Revenge Of The Fallen got a remake with Mark Walhberg. Story is poor, nothing is sad and the characters are bad too, you don't care about any of them. The visual effects gave me a seizure. The acting was damn bad. Micheal Bay, is Pain. And Gain the only good movie that you have made? Ignore this at all costs Expand
  45. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the movie. I loved the autobot who turns into a corvette, its pretty awesome when his outfit looks like a jacket! And Lockdown, i really loved him. He could'v destroyed Optimus, and his gadgets and he transform into a Lamborghini! "You think you were born? You were built! And they want you back" this made me feel that optimus prime is in **** now.
    Few things I didn't like was that some parts could'v shortened up. And one part where a transformer tried crushing mark and mark used an alien weapon to stop it. Thats just bull****. I think that's the biggest mistake of the movie. Could'v edited the movie better. I felt like the movie editors were in a rush!
  46. Jul 6, 2014
    Transformers: Age of Extinction is a awful movie ,Bay's now made the same film four times, I fell asleep about a good 15 minutes into the movie ,The only decent movie Bay ever made is The Island. I like that one.
  47. Jul 6, 2014
    Transformers: Age of Extinction isn't a perfect movie by a long shot. it has it's strong and weak points. If you are reading this before seeing the movie, go in with an open mind. It's Michael Bay and you should understand what you're going to get - entertainment. There is no doubt that this movie is entertaining, exciting, and just fun for everyone. There are moments where you feel with what's going on, many moments where you will laugh, and moments where you will be awed by the Transformers in action. The Transformer universe is now set for years to come, with a new start that can open any realm of possibility (via the ending). I may be biased because I've been such a fan of the franchise for so long, but going in open minded may help you look past some of these missteps and walk out being satisfied with how the Autobots have handled things this time around. Expand
  48. Jul 5, 2014
    Featuring an unforgivably inflated running time, stilted characters, and a nearly incomprehensible narrative, Michael Bay's newest contribution to the "Transformers" franchise renders the viewer unimpressed, irritated, and - most importantly - tired.
  49. Jul 5, 2014
    this movie was just wow amazing explosions badass transformers and one of my favorite actors the plot was like call of duty were people try to save the world from a bomb but everything else was amazing
  50. Jul 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This "Transformers" installment was alright. It's wasn't bad, but not great either, just...alright. First off, I'm comfortable with the new live action cast; not that I had a problem with LeBeouf or Fox or anyone from the previous films, but the films were getting repetitive, whereas this one feels a bit more fresh. The only human character I had beef with was Lucas, because I found him to be quite annoying and useless. While it was somewhat sad the way he died, I was just glad there wouldn't be any more dumb quips from his constantly close-up face. Also, Cade and Tessa's whole "I'm an overprotective parent, and I'm a teen who wants to be free" schtick has been done to death in so many other movies; I really didn't care for that here. However, switching gears a little, the fact that the military wasn't really involved in this movie was actually a fine change of pace. It was more focused on the government and KSI, the company that has obtained the metal the Transformers are made of (which, by the way, is uncreatively dubbed "transformium," and that IS what they call it throughout the film). Now on to the Transformers; for one, they kept the Autobot cast short, with only Prime, Bumblebee, and Brains (Ratchet as well, but he dies in the beginning) being the only returning characters from the other films. Hound, Drift, and Crosshairs were all new to the film, and they were alright. Lockdown is a newly-introduced Decepticon who was pretty badass in my opinion, so there's not much to say there. While Galvatron, a reincarnated Megatron with Prime's likeness, was a cool addition, I'd thought he'd have a bigger role than he'd turned out to have. His "I'll get you next time Gadget"-esque quip near the end suggests he'll be back for the fifth installment, so there's hope for him there. Now, on to my biggest issue; the Dinobots. While they were visually awesome, they weren't in the movie for that long. Since the beginning of the movie they were teased, but they only physically showed up to kick ass in the last act, which disappointed me. In fact, though the concept was cool, they really didn't need to be in the film at all; they only serve as a physical metaphor for the "Extinction" part of the movie title. That whole concept of "an asteroid didn't wipe out the dinosaurs, Transformers did" was pretty dumb as well; they could've done something different with that. If I can add two more small things to nitpick about, it'd be the product placement (though the Bud Light scene was actually pretty comical) and Prime's unexplained rocket boosters when he zooms into space at the very end (wouldn't that have been quite the game-changer if he had those for the whole movie? Where'd he get them??). So all-in-all, for this movie not being a reboot, but merely continuing the story with a different cast of characters, it was, again, just alright. Usually when it comes to a film series, I find myself not liking fourths and fifths unless they're done well, and while not phenomenal, this movie did okay. I say check it out and judge for yourselves. Expand
  51. Jul 5, 2014
    I can't make a movie, so my score originally as me as the audience. The CGI was really awesome. It's better than Superman last movie or Pacific Rim. It's also a smart twist protagonist characters issue, better than Robocop remake #LOL. I did hate Optimus Prime since the third movie. I mean he's really not a good leader. So, the problem was the character of the robots. They're being boring. So, if it's the last Transformers from Michael Bay, I think he did the best. And we know, now, Michael Bay is Jurassic Park fans. Well, one lack thing about the movie was how lucky all the human main characters survived. There's the moment when one of them fell and rolled to the street, but not get hurt at all. #awkward Expand
  52. Jul 5, 2014
    This part is AWESOME of all because I haven't seen that much action in any movie before. Yes little drag but this movie is for REAL fans who follow transformers not for those who are looking for LOGICS :). Also I like new storyline with the role of Wahlberg and entry of all new bots. Good job Mr. Bay
  53. Jul 5, 2014
    Easily the best action and sci fi movie so far. Mark Wahlberg and Michael Bay kept the good work they done in pain and gain and delivered a movie with unlimited action and nice jokes and twist in plots.
  54. Jul 5, 2014
    This site just proves that most of these are opinion based. Everyone has their opinions and looking at some of the movies that got great reviews compared to some of the ones with bad reviews proved that. Some of the high rating movies were horrible, while some of these with lower scores should have been higher, but that's only my opinion.

This is a pretty good movie, much better than
    the last one. Plenty of action, decent actors and as many have said, no Sam. Expand
  55. Jul 4, 2014
    If you've seen any of the three previous installments, then you pretty much know what you're getting walking into this one. I actually kind of had high hopes for this one, considering that the unbearable original cast from the previous films wasn't returning and the fact that A-list actor Mark Wahlberg was cast as the main character. Sadly, not even a fresh new cast could make this film work. The only decent performance worth mentioning is Stanley Tucci's, which I somewhat enjoyed. Kelsey Grammar's wooden villain was a complete waste. And Nicola Peltz, much like Megan Fox from the first and second film, and Rosie Huntington Whitely from the third film, is reduced to "that hot but dumb girl." The effects are cool to watch for only so long before they become overblown and ridiculous. There are a few cool sequences here and there, but they just aren't enough to make it any better. And with the nearly three-hour runtime, that didn't help much either. Overall, this installment, in no way builds upon the previous three, as it repeats so many mistakes from them. Some people never learn (yes I'm talking about you Michael Bay!) Expand
  56. Jul 4, 2014
    Poor story, poor acting, absolutely amazing action. One thing Michael Bay does know is how to put together an action scene which is a shame the same can't be said about his story telling.
    I'm a fan of the first 3 regardless of how bad they were which is why it pains me to say that this is the worst of the series. The things I was worried about like the dinobots turned out alright and the
    things I thought was going to be fine we're awful I.e mark whalberg and co.
    The typical Bayisms are still there, sexualisation of the women, the lower than low toilet humor which hits rock bottom in this entry. Two of best things in the movie was finally seeing Prime in generation 1 form and Stanley tucci. A new director and screen writer are needed for the next film.
  57. Jul 3, 2014
    Awesome, must see in Imax 3D! This is not a Meril Streep movie for critics, this is a living Transformers action movie. There is a plot and a story, but (thankfully) nothing too deep. The action is beautiful and fantastic. These movies take huge liberties with mortality and the capability of the human body, but, so do other movies. My one gripe would be usage of nearly every profane word at least once, not great for young ears. Amazing experience, 2 hours and 45 minutes flew by. There are 2 chatty slowdown parts for your restroom needs. Expand
  58. Jul 3, 2014
    This 4th installment has a new cast (headed by Mark Wahlberg), but everything else is pretty much the same: the good guys being chased by giant mechanical robots in massive, destructive battles. The first 90 minutes are actually well paced and enjoyable (T.J. Miller adds the comic comments), but then you realize there's another whole movie yet to come. Yes, this is 2:45, which is way too long for the same noisy chases and fights that we've already seen. The effects are convincing, but not particularly original. Michael Bay's hectic pacing and flared cinematography give it that big screen polish, but somebody should have cut it in half. Expand
  59. Jul 2, 2014
    This movie is better than any other transformers movie directed by Michael Bay with the number 4 in the title. Its also better than getting Aids. *Explodes violently.
  60. Jul 2, 2014
    For a Transformers movie there is not enough Transformers. Mark Wahlberg was good better than Shia Labeouf in my opinion. I cant totally hate on any Transformer movie as I am an action movie fan and this movie does do that well. When there isn't action however it gets boring and a lot of cheesy dialogue. My least favourite Transformers to date.
  61. Jul 2, 2014
    Transformers: Age of Extinction tem diálogo terrível, representações deploráveis ​​de mulheres, seqüências de explosões e muito pouco de humor. Em outras palavras, é um filme de Michael Bay.
  62. Jul 2, 2014
    I actually thought the first half of the film was a lot of fun and had some great really well done action sequaces but then the film started to become really overlong and full of pretty cheezy bad dialogue and I kinda almost felt like I wanted to walk out it just became super competitive with its self, all though the performances were good and i was surprised to find my self actually really routing for the girl a lot in the film. Expand
  63. Jul 2, 2014
    So I decided to skip Dark of the Moon and just go straight to Age of Extinction since that's the only one that people care about right now. This movie is just a really fun and enjoyable experience and their really isn't too much to say other than that. Sure the plot doesn't really make any sense and it wont be winning any Oscars but who really cares about that in a movie where Optimus Prime rides a giant, robotic, fire-breathing dinosaur (Grimlock but he is not actually given a name) into battle. The only reason I didn't rate this movie higher is because its WAY TOO LONG. Seriously I know all of Michael Bays movies are about 2 and a half hours but 45 minutes could've easily been cut from this movie. (P.S Lockdown is AWESOME) Expand
  64. Jul 2, 2014
    Once again, Michael Bay creates a movie not worthy of the Transformers name. He focuses too much on the human aspect instead of the Robot personalities. Where were all of the Decepticons?? Megatron did not become Galvatron from humans. He has destroyed the Transformers image with his bad actors and horrible plots which make absolutely no sense. Don't see this in the movie, it will just encourage him to make another one. Expand
  65. Jul 2, 2014
    Saw the reviews here and went to see the movie anyway just out of curiosity for why it made a 100 million so quickly at the box office.

If you're looking for depth, riveting storyline, and something extraordinarily different from the earlier movies, this movie isn't for you.

But if you put that aside, like to see cool CG effects, hot women, and generally have a popcorn flick where
    you can switch off your brain and watch the spectacle unfold, this movie isn't half bad. Its far from being a great movie, but it is even further from being a terrible or unwatchable one. Give it a go Expand
  66. Jul 2, 2014
    And it goes like BOOM BOOM BOOM HERES YOUR HOT CHICK WALKING IN A BILLION DOLLAR SCENE ROBOTS HERE DIES ROBOT THERES KILL GRIMLOCK ON F**K THOSE DECEPTICONS BOOM BOOM BBOOOOOOM MICHAEL BAAAAAAAYYYYYYY AND IN THE END PEOPLE KISS AND EPIC MUSIC AND EPIC SPEECH BY OPTIMUS PRIME 10/10 TRANSBOREMORES AGE OF EXTINCTION OH GOD I WISH MICHAEL BAY IS THE ONE WHO EXTINCT.
  67. Jul 2, 2014
    Sifting through the different reviews though the weekend I have noticed one primary criticism of TAOE – The movie’s length. Personally, I felt (somewhat stubbornly) that as long as Michael Bay just keeps me entertained I can look past the length and enjoy the movie. The problem – The first half of the movie was a drag, with little entertainment, little humor, little action and terrible (nonexistent) character development. Michael Bay could have easily trimmed the first hour and a half into a half hour. (Thus you have a 2 hour movie instead of a 3 hour movie – those movie theater seats are tough to sit through for 3 hours)

Halfway through this movie was well on its way to being the worst Transformers movie to date – and then something rare happened – Bay finally found his niche – and when he did – it was something special. The human story and the Transformers story found cohesiveness, the action picked up, the musical score made you care and a terrible film turned into a really solid entry. As usual the plot serves as an excuse for Michael Bay to blow things up, but it wasn’t as atrocious as the last two entries, it just needed to blow things up faster!

(Pros – Stanley Tucci, Kelsey Grammar, Lockdown, Dinobots and the final battle – Cons – The entire first half of the movie and the lack of humor) – Side Note: Mark Wahlberg’s character is an upgrade over the previous protagonist but you don’t realize it until the second half of the movie.

To conclude - it was all about the length - had Michael Bay trimmed (and he could have easily done so) an hour off of this film - it might have turned out to be the best Transformers yet - but one cannot look past, nor forgive the first hour and a half bore that this movie was. First Half gets a 5/10 and the Second Half gets a 10/10. Final Rating 7.5 out of 10 (Rounded to 8)
  68. Jul 2, 2014
    Transformers age of endorsement! This pile of rubbish has more product placements than regular television. The characters were exciting a wallpaper paste and the visuals were pornographic. This is 165 minutes of Michael bay madness. If you wish to see this, don't think too hard about the plot or you will hurt yourself and make sure you are comfortable.
  69. Jul 1, 2014
    If I had those 165 minutes back, I could so much more creative things with my life. Much better than this movie - like for example smashing my head against the wall...

Movie lacks continuity, good story, people you cheer, it is full of explosions and nonsense
  70. Jul 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't believe that this **** pile of a **** movie was able to hit the screen. I also can't believe that a transformers movie could come along and be worse than the second one. You know when a movie is bad when my friends (who liked the second one) thought this movie was terrible. The flaws were so noticeable, that Helen Keller could point them out to you. The first hour of the movie was literally **** useless. It set up **** that I could give two ****s about. Imagine setting up characters that get maybe thirty minutes of screen time in the movie. We then get to the middle of the movie it just **** drags on for about another forty five minutes to an hour. Pointless **** after pointless **** We finally get to the dining where they then start to rush things. We get two hours of straight of bull**** and 37 minutes of rushed action scenes that were alright.

These movies are known for its great special effects, but it seems like they took the cheap route and decided to make graphics that would be terrible for a 2005 movie. Some of the graphics looked straight up cheap and were actually glitch most of the time. The first transformers had better graphics than these. So basically imagine taking the second Transformers movie and making the graphics ****tier, the characters more unforgettable, having two hours of **** around, with terrible acting. Well the second transformers didn't have the most stellar acting, but dear god was it better than this movie.

Speaking of acting and characters. I could literally give tow **** ****s about anyone in this movie besides Optimus Prime. Mark tired to save his character with some pretty descent acting, but dear god was his character a **** He was getting run over by his daughters boyfriend the whole time. Saying **** about his daughter and without blinking an eye. . It was as if Michael Bay wanted one of the worst families of all time. At least Michael was smart enough to kill that brain dead **** in the beginning. Save us from 2 and a half hours of ****ty jokes. Though the worst acting in the movie goes to the daughter. See looked familiar and I had trouble pin pointing. If you don't know, she's that annoying girl from the last airbender. That's all you need to know about her acting ability

The storyline wasn't even cornerstone half the time. They had like five different story lines going at one time, with flaws that were so damn obvious. Michael bay keeps trying to bring back Megatron and it's flipping annoying. He's now brought back as Galvatron, a man made transformer that was built Stanley's company. He basically has the same memories, but a different boy. Boy was he dumb looking as well. We move onto this random bounty hunter that wants Prime because the creators of these Transformers want him. Probably the worst looking transformer, with the ****iest back sorry, and pretty much disappears randomly throughout the movie. While that going on, we Stanley's character working with Kelsey Grammar's character to true and get the seed to get more metal. This metal is what the transformers are made out of and they're a able to make man made transformers out of it. Some how this **** can float and break apart whenever it feels like it, but not when it's convenient for survival. It's as if monkeys made the story for this movie.

The only thing I liked about this movie was the Dinobots, they were pretty **** cool and were the highlight of the movie. Though they decided to only have them in the last thirty minutes. I would have to say Mark also was good. Did his best to not make his character totally **** unmemorable.

I need to stop or I will just go on and on about this **** terrible movie. Basically, **** Bay and I will never pay for another Transformers movie. 1/10
  71. Jul 1, 2014
    Everything except transformers is too cheesy and unnecessary (I mean all that family and government crap, stupid chick rescue sequences also). Wahlberg was okay, playing a loser as always. Tucci was really good. The dinibots and the spaceship were cool. Overall, the movie was too long.
  72. Jul 1, 2014
    Dont know why everyone criticising this movie,eventhough the story/script is not upto the mark...the action sequences are all outstanding...really i loved this movie...best movie in the series..... no boring at all.... :)
  73. Jul 1, 2014
    This is great !! Start and middle were amazing, good plot and it went something, only negative was the last 15 minutes were Michael bay decided to blow up everything. Apart from that this was much better then the others!
  74. Jul 1, 2014
    Do not under any circumstances watch this movie. this is beyond simply not worth the money, i would PAY money to not watch this movie, i felt like i am being tortured. if you cant make up a story and all you can do is put as much as explosions as possible on the screen, then dont make your movie 3 hours long.
  75. Jul 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Transformers as a film series has a reputation for visual excess & narrative deficit. This movie takes this reputation, supercharges it, and rockets the results at the audience and break-neck speed and expects to satisfy - and to a large proportion of the film going public, seems to achieve its goal. At this very moment, as I write this review, Transformers 4 has 101 positive reviews on Metacritic.com. These reviews are littered with repeated phrases like "no Sam Witwicky", "*insert robot name here* was badass" & "omg the action was awesome". And you can't really argue with these sentiments. The visuals have always been impressive in the Transformers movies, and while I personally never felt one way or another about the character of Sam Witwicky, it appears to be consensus that he was highly disliked. What lacks in the Transformers movies is, among many, many things, is a coherent story and fleshed out characters.

The story - if you can even call it that - leaps from action set piece to action set piece with no regard for common sense, mood or character motivation. The story plods along at snails pace (for an insane 165mins) transmitting relevant information to the movie-goer almost solely through exposition and overlong establishing shots. Further, I was never sure about why anybody was doing anything. Nothing is explained in any detail - we as the audience are just expected to accept that humans in black clothes = bad guy, humans in pastels = good guys. The same thing corresponds to the Transformers themselves.

The characters in this latest Transformers movie are among the weakest and most poorly written of any I have seen at the movies in the longest time. While Mark Wahlberg attempts valiantly to inject some energy in to this train wreck of a film, he is weighed down with a daughter/boyfriend subplot (communicated wholly by only the snappiest Michael Bay dialogue) and the convoluted (and pointless) good-guy motivations of the hero. The daughter and boyfriend were dead weight, contributing nothing whatsoever to the film. Bay, nonplussed with his failure to contribute anything meaningful character-wise decides to go full-retard instead adding a frustratingly unfunny "slacker-employee" character into the 1st act, who vomits rapid-fire sarcasm into the air during the initial action scenes. His death at the end of act 1 was highly satisfying, and in line with the terrible storytelling, largely ignored by the other characters. The characters in Transformers are an unequivocal failure on all levels. Of particular disappointment to me was Stanley Tucci and Kelsey Grammar, who like Wahlberg, are clearly here just for the paycheck.

And since I've used the terms rapid-fire and failure already, lets talk product placement. This is a particular peeve of mine as a movie-goer which partly explains the rage I felt as I left my local cinema. Michael Bay, while never shy about plugging products in his film, takes it to a whole new level. Its as if he is standing in front of the audience with a shotgun, which he uses to simultaneously blast you in the face with hip and happening products (Beats headphones - **** you) while insulting your intelligence by thinking you won't notice it happening. Unforgivable and further evidence that Transformers is first and foremost advertising. Who needs to consider the art of film-making when you can sell stuff, right?

These monumental failures reduce my interest in the film. No amount of explosions and car-driving montages can supplement for these deficits.

Once upon a time, I had hopes that the great cartoon from my childhood would make for a great adventure movie. 4 movies later, my hopes have been well and truly dashed. I will not be returning to the cinema to see any more Transformer movies. I implore you all the do the same thing.
  76. Jun 30, 2014
    Thank you, Michael Bay, for killing Transformers for future generations. This movie is similar to the previous Transformers like a formula. Pointless characters, no plot, plenty of explosions, its all there. The movie is extremely long at 2.5 hours and it dragged halfway through. Going into the movie, I knew I would be disappointed and am upset I spend money on this piece of crap. Avoid and save your money for something better. Expand
  77. Jun 30, 2014
    The movie is not as bad as every review is making it out to be. It certainly is not a perfect movie, but if you've enjoyed the previous ones, then don't let anyone dissuade you and just go see it. A lot of the complaints are just people nitpicking because their jobs as "reviewers" have warped their mind and keeps them from enjoying anything. However some of the complaints aren't just opinion, but fact. Yes, the movie is 30min to an hour too long and Yes, the third act goes to China just to appeal to Chinese audiences at the expense of the plot. I was tired of the childish humor from the previous movies and this one did away with it and just focused on the robots, which is good. So, go see it or don't, but make sure it is your own decision. Expand
  78. Jun 30, 2014
    Expectations lower than dirt are what I had going into this movie. To my surprise the first hour and a twenty minutes were great. Age of Extinction follows all new characters set five years after the events of the third film. The movie’s plot is pretty much the same format we saw in the first three films: “Get the spark before the Decepticons do.” The start of the film focused more on introducing the new cast rather than showcasing the
    Transformers, which I personally liked. I was in awe of the creative and energetic camera work, smooth editing, and well executed soundtrack. One thing this movie had going for it right out the gate was the totally revamped cast. Mark Wahlberg did a much better job carrying the film than previous stars. We all can admit that none of us could stomach watching Shia LaBeouf run around screaming for Bumble Bee while the same predicable plot unfolded. The cliché plot is still present in the forth installment, and got boring during the two hour forty-five minute runtime. The movie had a lot of great things going for it during the early stages. It set up characters well, established a sturdy plot for the first couple of acts and captured humor and attention spans very well. Once the film got closer to the halfway mark it started to lose it’s magic. The rest of the film was weak and the prolonged fighting sequences became annoying. Even though the plot is about an alien race taking over earth, the makers pushed the envelope on what humans could realistically, physically withstand. This left me and many in the audience thinking, “That’s impossible,” several times. I felt the superhuman-like portrayal and unrealistic abilities of the main stars to repeatedly escape life-threatening situations, unscathed, was way over the top. It started to remind me of the second and third film in the series. The same sort of battles were beginning to unfold with predictable outcomes. The CGI was the film’s saving grace, as it looked good most of the time with only occasional hiccups. In my opinion the only reason to watch this movie would be to see the special effects on the big screen. There’s really nothing deeper than cool CGI and cheesy laughs in the film, but I have to say I was entertained by how it looked on the outside. Inside, Age of Extinction is nothing we haven’t seen before from Michael Bay.
  79. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok I give this movie a solid 6.75 I couldnt put 6.75 but I did not agree with the movie critics because lets face it they really are the bad ones in this. I think this movie did need lots of work still let me talk about the good stuff then the bad. First Voices of the transformers new team loved them love john goodman loved Petter cullen, Ken Watanbe. They were witty and funny. Second, Stanley's character Josh I enjoyed he was funny as well. The music with Imagine Dragons was really cool I loved the dino bot scenes and select of the action sequences. This is where is goes sour, I liked the idea on the story it seemed like the characters plots were cool idea but the characters who played them were really bad the daughter was very boring the boyfriends was a whiner the dad was ehh the better out of the 3 but still needed more personality hes a inventor not a fighter? Does the daughter HAVE too look around the dads age I get he had her when he was 18 I get that but I didnt really like that concept. It was basically giving the actors a eccues to be young a good looking. I think throw that away make a actual legit real characters with matching personality. This movie was WAY too long almost 3 hours of non stop action felt like too much action. I wanted to like this movie through the whole thing. At parts im like ok thats cool ok thats no yea what? I had alot of wtf why moments. I actually liked this movie better than the 3rd one. the 3rd one was really bad and you felt nothing out of no one. This movie actually had a little bit of a spark. Expand
  80. Jun 30, 2014
    Forget the critics. Buy a ticket and spend 3 hours at the edge of your seat watching a movie that's originally Michael Bay action only. You will never regret that decision ever.
  81. Jun 30, 2014
    I don't understand why this movie is receiving such negative reviews. Did people even watch the movie? It feels like a lot of these 0-3 point reviews, especially some of the "professional" ones that amount to little more than an artsy description of emotions, are little more than jumping on the bandwagon of how the previous Transformers movies were pretty weak. Fortunately, this movie is completely different. I just saw it like literally 30 minutes ago, and it was the best transformers movie yet, in fact, in many ways it was the Transformers movie that we all wanted instead of what we got with "Nerd meets Fox, oh and btw there are robots 1-3" with the previous movies.

The movie was a chunky, good length, with good exposition and plot, the acting was much better than previous installments, and Whalberg was definitely a good fit to his character.

Most of all, the movie focused on the robots being awesome and not some stupid comic book love story. Although there is a little bit of campiness with certain elements like how the humans are turning their backs on the Autobots ...(again) at least as a premise to the story, and some cliche stuff when they focus on the human actors, the movie was really really great.

Perfect mix of balance between robots and human actors, with emphasis on robots. (Epic Optimus Prime riding a giant robot trex while flailing a sword around)

Great use of special effects, with (surprisingly) appropriate amount of pew pew explosions from Michael Bay

Good plot development and character relation, along with a nice long movie run time to let the story properly get fleshed out and play out nice chunky scenes giving great exposition to all the robots kicking but.

The cherry on the cake is that the "cliffhanger" if you can call it that, or rather the open ended possibility for the next movie (that we all know is coming) was actually really interesting and appropriately engaging, instead of the standard "see you next time" message that is lazily given like in the first movies, because they didn't know where the story was going in the next movie.

TLDR: Really great Transformers movie, lots of negative reviews are quite frankly ridiculous. Especially the "professional" ones. Worth the price of admission.

Gave it a 10 because Metacritic is basically the war of extremes now, where people only give 0-3 points if they didn't like a movie, instead of giving it a fair score. I think this movie deserves a solid 8.5
  82. Jun 30, 2014
    You have to have low expectations and your brain in neutral to watch a Transformers movie, but even so this movie is BAD. The transformers don't really look anything like the cartoon series characters they are based on, they're all pretty similar and the film just ends up like two junkjards fighting eachother for nearly 3 hours. A film needs to be Epic or have a compelling story to entertain for that amount of time, and this has neither. Its dull, mind-numbing, rubbish. Expand
  83. Jun 30, 2014
    It is what it is. You know going in what you're going to get. My 8 year old loved it, which is the way it should be since it's a movie based on toys. And it kept me entertained the whole way through...barely. Would've been a lot more enjoyable were it a half hour shorter.
  84. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes. Perfect. This is what the other movies should have been. Great Acting, Amazing CGI. The Dinobots are amazing, just yes. For those who say this is terrible, you don't terrible. I hated when they killed off the last of the wreckers and Ratchet, But the rest is stunning, Megatron returning as Galvatron, introducing Lockdown, the showing of how the Autobots feel now that humans have turned on them and are creating new transformers using what's known as "Transformium", and Bumblebee, just Bumblebee. He freaking hilarious in this movie. I remember one part where they find stinger, which is a human created transformer based off him, but "Better in every way", He went BALLISTIC, gave a hefty "AW HELL NO", and almost wrecked that **** up! Great Movie. Now, there has been speculation that this will be Micheal Bay's Last TF movie. If it is, then amazing job ending your run at it, and deliver it to someone else who's good at making movies in this Genre, like J.J. Abrams. 10/10

"I hate cheap knockoffs."
    -Bumblebee
  85. Jun 30, 2014
    I actually liked the first Transformers,the 2nd is horrible and the 3rd was slightly better but still wasn't that good.I actually thought this movie was going to be good of how the plot sounded,with Mark Whalberg and the dinobots.I did see it get critically panned but I want to judge it for myself and I would have to say that I agree with the critics.This is probably one of the worst movies I've ever saw.This is probably on par with Revenge of the Fallen.This is basically a rehash from the previous films with a new cast.The action scenes aren't interesting.Its just nothing but explosions that are never ending and offers nothing new.The plot is poorly executed cause all you see is explosions than what's going on with the plot.It is also not very convincing.It is also twisted at one point where you feel like that shouldn't happen right now and later.The camera work is awful and hurts your brain after seeing it.The autobots have no soul including Optimus Prime and the movie seems lifeless.The dialogue is bad.I also didn't like how the dinobots are shown towards the end of the movie.Also the length is ridiculous with it being almost 3 hours.The only good things I can say about this movie is that the transformers look better,the plot was decent, and the performance by Whalberg and Tucci.But that can't make up of how many flaws this movie has.This movie hurts your mind and I really suggest you don't see it.Save your money.This is one of the most unpleasant experiences I had at the movies. Expand
  86. Jun 30, 2014
    why does this movie exist? why does michael bay keep getting work? anyone who would give this... thing a score past a 6 for what ever reason are even mouthbreathers or sellouts. the movie is the worst story ever writen with the sole purpose of shoving in as much nostalgic crap as they can. The acting is really bad but i will give it a pass because i assume they know this movie is not worth giving a crap, except for the love interest who is just the worst actress since Jim Barneys coffin. Expand
  87. Jun 30, 2014
    this movie action are good but the storyline are **** Michael bay always have an awful storyline movie.The worst franchise movie i ever watched TRANSFORMER
  88. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Following much of the formula of the previous Transformers movies, but without the relative novelty of the first two, this one is subpar at best. The script is practically garbage. The characters are poorly developed, shallow, and much of the acting is terrible. Mark Wahlberg is a good actor and does the best job of the lot, but I think he was miscast for this role.

The movie is outrageously long and drawn out - almost 3 hours of basically CRAP that not even the pretty visuals and fight scenes could save.

While the special effects, explosions, and overall action scenes are spectacular as usual, some of the camera work is basically wobbling and out of focus as robots zoom by shooting at each other so that you don't really appreciate those parts of the fighting. The plot is shakier than ever, and as usual a major villain is still alive and manages to escape once again.

The humor is too forced at times, and many of the lines are eye-roll and head-shake worthy. The sexy girl is for the most part lost, helpless, and put in more for the looks than anything else. There are the usual prodigious camera close-ups and various angles showing off her sexy body. The characters are once again rather shallow and dumb, particularly the girl and especially her boyfriend, who seems to have been more of an afterthought in the script.

I don't even want to go on anymore with this review. Suffice it to say, I hope this is Michael Bay's last foray into the Transformers universe, for the sake of everyone genuinely interested in the Transformers.
  89. Jun 30, 2014
    In my humble opinion, everyone should read this review.

I am a regular guy who is married with kids, educated and normal. I grew up with Transformers and have seen all the movies. I went in a bit negative thinking this was just going to be eye candy and thinking 2 hrs and 45 mins! Good God that is too long. I saw a couple trailers, but not much media on it.

I really liked the
    first one and I did enjoy the second one. The third one was very bland for me. I am not one of those stupid reviewers who think they need to compare this kind of a movie to say The Godfather. The Transformer movies are action, cgi, eye candy movies and we only hope the story is decent. SO the bar is set lower as it should.

I highly doubt most professional reviewers even watched more than 10 mins of the film. Rather than go to enjoy a movie, they are looking to stupid reasons why they can rip into this movie. Reviewers hate Michael Bay. We all know this.

"Age of Extinction is just another warmed-over, cynical, ATM machine of a movie. It’s soulless eye candy." Richard "useless" Roeper. Thanks, Dichard. Why even to bother to write that. Just skip it next time.

"Everything about Michael Bay’s fourth Transformers movie is too much. Its 165 minute running time. Its convoluted plot. Its deafening score. Its product placement. Its never-ending action scenes. Its swooping camera work. Its overwhelming stupidity. Well before it finished I was numb from its bludgeoning excess." David McGinn Sounds like a jealous, bitter man to me.

"The Bay-man has made the worst and most worthless Transformers movie yet. I know, hard to believe, right? How could any summer blockbuster be as dull, dumb and soul-sucking as the first three Transformers movies? Step right up. " Peter Travelers He gave it a zero. So he just hates Bay and I don't even know why he bothered to write anything as the reader has learned nothing. I doubt he watched the movie at all.

Let's ask some important questions.
    Is this movie way to long? Yes. Bay could have cut 30 mins from the film and given us the same effect.
    Is this movie loud? Yes. Why does that matter? Is war and crashing robots quiet?
    Is there a bunch of product placements? Yes, but only critics care about this. Welcome to the world of profit ****
    Is this just the same old story and nonsense as the first three? No. A million times no.

The story is a bit complicated and jumbled, but I assure you of this the movie moves along quickly and you will get the story. You will also be happy of the new storyline if you enjoyed the first movie.

From a visual aspect, I have no idea how this only cost $210 million. There is so much going on visually, I was amazed. I have seen many more movies that cost nearly that much and have only 1%CGI of what is in this movie. Honestly, the people who made this movie must be insane. How can they even think of this and then put it on screen and make it look real. Let's get real here, the CGI is the main character and it is pure awesome.

I really liked the new characters. I like that one of them was killed off within the first 30 mins.

The story has evolved and is original. Trust me. The Transformers themselves are not as nice as they used to be and I love that. Marky Mark is fun and I like his character. I do not like to give away plot points or break down a movie for you. I like to tell you if it is worth your money and some sort of a reasonable expectation.

If you liked the first Transformers movie, you will like this movie. All the negative comments by others really don't matter. If you like action cgi movies, this is a very good one. I give it a 7. 8 if it would have cut 30 mins from it. As an action movie, it main job is to excite me. If it has a decent story it adds points. Action is a 10. Story for an action movie is a 7. Overall, 7.
  90. Jun 30, 2014
    I was a little baffled by the end of this Michael Bay movie, Transformers 1-3 were filled with potty humor and glamorizing hot female bodies. Age of Extinction made 1 reference to 'hot teenager' and thats about as far as the high school mentality went in the movie.
    The first hour of the film dealt heavily on establishing a story that rid it of the 'eck' of Transformers 1-3. Mark Wahlberg
    brought a breath of new life into the franchise as a calm collected scientist versus a kid that just screamed 'NO NO NO' for 2 straight hours through 3 movies.
    I would consider this without a doubt the best in the series, though some people will note that it did have less considerable earth damage as compared to the Battle of Chicago in Transformers 3, which I think the battle sequences in that film are the best battle sequences in film history that were not based on real events (don't want to piss of Tora, Tora, Tora or Saving Private Ryan Fans).
    If you even tolerated T1-3 and thought they could be vastly improved with better acting/actors and something that resembled more of a plot. You will like this.
  91. Jun 29, 2014
    One of the best movies i have ever saw! The dinobots are sexy and the action is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! it is one of the rare movies that can make you get adrenaline
  92. Jun 29, 2014
    Good writing/dialogue, good action, proper casting, appropriate length, memorable - Transformers: Age of Extinction could not be described with any of those adjectives. Instead, the fourth installment of the series shows that you need more than a pretty face to be considered enjoyable. If you thought the second movie was weak, then prepare yourself for a new low. I had loved the first film and found the third to be decent. With Age of Extinction, everything is just flat. The plot is extremely fragmented, almost as if the writers all suffered from a bit of schizophrenia and Alzheimer's disease at the same time due to plot points immediately melting and new storylines forming out of thin air. The action, which usually saves the films from total meltdown, isn't even that impressive anymore. Michael Bay has a flare for great visuals, often making average scenery look dreamy and lush, but that's about all that really goes well for the movie. Clocking in at around 2 hours and 40 minutes, this film was way too long. If you don't HAVE to see it, wait for DVD/Blu-Ray and you might feel better. Expand
  93. Jun 29, 2014
    Urrrgghhhhh.... plausible storyline? nah. good dialogue? nope. good action scenes? negative. crappy jokes? check. heart felt conversations at the stupidest possible times? yessir.
  94. Jun 29, 2014
    In my opinion this movie was great and even maybe one of the best films in the summer, the story line was good, but there were a few sub plots and it could be confusing but in the end these sub plots do make sense, the actors were great and special effects were also good. In the end though this movie was great.
  95. Jun 29, 2014
    I love to see hypocrite people criticizing this movie so hard, and still it rules the box office with $100 Mil. People are idiots, specially critics. They think because they didn't like a movie, is bad. I know, if a high number of people think the same, it has to mean something. But, c'mon, this is a TRANSFORMERS movie, what did they expect? Also, the "Hey, this movie is pretty good, it's worth the 3 hours runtime! / Hey, this movie is very bad, don't waste 3 hours of your life!" argument is complete **** Expand
  96. Jun 29, 2014
    what a movie saw it my first time in a imax3d theater. this was a first movie nation release we where told by the manager that used imax full screen movie. he said the other movie usually the top and bottom are smaller. it was just amazing me and my friend saw it at the 8am showing. we both like it cannot wait for it to come out in blue ray. it is about 3 hours long for the movie and the coming attractions. so go easy on the soda i almost had to leave near the end i had to go badly but i made. Expand
  97. Jun 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. transformers is amazing! i now realize that everybody hates this series because everybody hates Michael bay! this movie was funny it was very thrilling and it had a lot different storyline. this movie changed the face of Transformers. i love the part when the Dinobots come! Expand
  98. Jun 29, 2014
    Same of same, even more boring with the story line, Its more like 3hrs of noise, noise and more noise, the movie focused mainly on 3 people the whole time, imagine such size of Chaos and no military or government intervention. It doesnt make sense that some bunch of robots come out of nowhere fighting each other and all people do is just run, no plans to intervene of at least querry the situation. Really senseless. Expand
  99. Jun 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I believe this movie was mind blowing it had a lot of action and was just great. It was probably the second best in the franchise when it comes to plot but best in action terms. lockdown is a brilliant villan. Expand
  100. Jun 29, 2014
    This Movie was BOSS!!! Excellent once you get past the character intros that go along with 99% of all movies these days. The Action was Excellent, the CGI was better than the last 3 movies combined, the battle sequences were perfectly played out, and the motivations for the action sequences were well justified. Best movie of the Summer of 2014 Easily!

1. Reviewed by: Ed Frankl
    Jul 10, 2014
    Does Michael Bay fit the criteria of an auteur? He certainly has his own line of distinctive tropes: the migraine-inducing noise, the fetishistic gloss, the playground-bully characters elevated to hero status and a fervently male gaze.
  2. Reviewed by: Owen Williams
    Jul 7, 2014
    The loyal fans — and they are legion — will trot out clichés like, “Leave your brain at the door,” and defend Age Of Extinction’s right to be nothing but a succession of varoom! and kersmash! sequences. For those who aren’t still blindly faithful to something they liked when they were nine, despite the colossal scale, there’s little to see here.
  3. Reviewed by: Amy Nicholson
    Jun 30, 2014
    There isn't enough visual beauty to forgive the screenplay's ugliness, but Bay does brave a daring new standard in product placement.