Triad Election

• Studio: Tartan
  • Release Date: Apr 25, 2007
7.1

1. Nov 1, 2013
    "Triad Election" takes viewers deep into a ritualized world of the Triad Society crime organization which is full of betrayal, backstabbing, and power-grabbing moves for power. The movie contains complex characters, scheming political machinations, and explosive action sequences that creates balance against Jonnie To's unique directorial style and subversive plot twists. "Triad" is the"Triad Election" takes viewers deep into a ritualized world of the Triad Society crime organization which is full of betrayal, backstabbing, and power-grabbing moves for power. The movie contains complex characters, scheming political machinations, and explosive action sequences that creates balance against Jonnie To's unique directorial style and subversive plot twists. "Triad" is the sequel to the wildly successful "Election" (2005), which earned a number of awards and nominations including Best Film, Best Director, and Best Screenplay at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 2006. The "Triad" storyline expounds from its predecessor with a political subtext: the candidates here, elegantly played by Koo and Yam, are not only trapped by their own lust of power or wealth, but also by the mainland Chinese government’s omniscient influence. To merges an intelligent screenplay with the hardball tactics of the Hong Kong underworld which contains political undertones and transcends an otherwise conventional crime drama storyline.

The slow burn caper maintains a business-like atmosphere, while its general sense of tranquility is interrupted with sudden bursts of intense violence. Noticeably absent is the trademark two-fisted gun play, sunglasses, and highly stylized action sequences so prevalent in Woo's films. To underplays the spectacle of violence he's more interested in the how the escalation reveals the character of the candidates. The majority of "Triad Election" is about the political maneuvering of organized crime, but when the conversations end, make no mistake, the blood flows mightily. "Triad Election" strongly resembles "The Godfather Part II" (1974), but it's resolutely a Chinese story, reaching back to the origins of Hong Kong crime syndicates, and showing how they struggle to keep a foothold in a modernized world. There are great modern crime movies out there Michael Mann's "Heat" (1995), Martin Scorsese's "Goodfellas" (1990), and Andrew Lau and Alan Mak's "Infernal Affairs" trilogy. "Triad Election" unquestionably belongs with such illustrious company.
  2. KenG.
    May 16, 2007
    I have to admit, I haven't seen the first movie (Election) that this is a sequel to, and if I had, maybe my view would be different. But a good sequel should be able to stand on it own, and this doesn't. The first half of the movie is slow, very talky, and vague (I had trouble making sense of what was going on, and who everyone was, but again, maybe that would have been I have to admit, I haven't seen the first movie (Election) that this is a sequel to, and if I had, maybe my view would be different. But a good sequel should be able to stand on it own, and this doesn't. The first half of the movie is slow, very talky, and vague (I had trouble making sense of what was going on, and who everyone was, but again, maybe that would have been different if I had seen the first movie). There is a lot of brutal violence in the second half, to hold your attention, but this comes across more as just a collection of scenes with brutal violence, than it does coherent story telling. Expand
  3. MarcK.
    Nov 10, 2007
    Somewhat disappointing. Very stylish, and I can see why it was so widely acclaimed. But in the end, very little soul.

As in the first movie, To deftly references the "Godfather" trilogy, examining the moral equivocation and shifting alliances among various syndicate members.
  2. A muscular sequel to To's riveting 2005 gangster picture "Election."
    In To's movies no one is innocent, and the social corruption has reached down to the soul. He orchestrates action scenes with an elegance that suggests Scorsese.