6.1

1. AliC.
    Jan 30, 2006
    Hilarious. Maybe more so for Brits though.
  2. WontadmitIsawthis
    Feb 17, 2006
    This review is for the first hour of the film, because we left after that. Simply put: Dull. Not funny. Not interesting. Not clever. Not diverting. Yes, it's tongue in cheek, but only in attitude; there is no real shared joke behind the deadpan. Example: a woman screaming in childbirth for minutes on end while men ignore the noise and instead fumble with a huge pair of forceps, This review is for the first hour of the film, because we left after that. Simply put: Dull. Not funny. Not interesting. Not clever. Not diverting. Yes, it's tongue in cheek, but only in attitude; there is no real shared joke behind the deadpan. Example: a woman screaming in childbirth for minutes on end while men ignore the noise and instead fumble with a huge pair of forceps, squashing a canteloupe prior to trying it out on the newborn baby's head. That is funny? The only good thing I can say is that the theater gave us our money back (which is why this rating was not a zero). By the way, I have walked out on about three films in my life, including this one and Mel Gibson's religious snuff flick, which was just about as funny as this one. Collapse
  3. TomF.
    Jul 3, 2006
    First of all, I have not laughed so hard in a cinema in a long time, however, i doubt it will appeal to all those who see it. If you love digression based and dry humour, in addition to 'metafiction' narrative, i guarantee you will love this film.
  4. Julio
    Mar 6, 2006
    Nothing to do, this film is waste of time.
  5. TimW.
    May 20, 2006
    There seem to be two major complaints with this movie, both of which baffle me. 1)"It's just not funny." Even if I hadn't gotten a single joke, this would still have been one of the greatest movies I've ever seen because of the rebuttal to 2)"The 'real life' bits are tedious and irrelevant"---in fact they parallel and subvert the book so well this movie that is There seem to be two major complaints with this movie, both of which baffle me. 1)"It's just not funny." Even if I hadn't gotten a single joke, this would still have been one of the greatest movies I've ever seen because of the rebuttal to 2)"The 'real life' bits are tedious and irrelevant"---in fact they parallel and subvert the book so well this movie that is ostensibly about the making of movies becomes for the viewer who wants more than a few cheap laughs, one of the most literary films ever made. Expand
  6. SteL.
    Aug 9, 2006
    Simply brilliant. I pity anyone who doesn't find this movie hilarious. Best comedy I've seen all year.
  7. SteveC.
    Sep 11, 2006
    This film was bloody awful. I'm really shocked it got so many positive reviews, it's really a bad movie.
  8. AldoB.
    Feb 1, 2006
    A film about nothing.
  9. DavidH.
    Feb 23, 2006
    This is unquestionably the worst movie I've seen. It starts with a boy having his penis injured (A female audience member laughed hystrically), then continued with a prolonged "Woman giving birth scene," with endless yelling and flailing about, while the men in the next room are strangely unaffected. I didn't get the joke... Very sad.
  10. BillA.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Don't always trust the criticis. Worst movie I have seen in a LONG time. Only the 3rd movie in my life (am age 63) that I have walked out of.
  11. WendyA.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Very dull, flat, overly talky, and not the least but funny.
  12. Dominic
    Mar 5, 2006
    Possibly the greatest movie about making movies, sits perfectly next to this is spinal tap. it's complex, but you never feel lost, coogan and brydon play off of each other beautifully. extra metion to jeremy northam, basically playing michael winterbottom. it's not to everyone's tastes, but a wonderful 100 minutes.
  13. ClayM.
    May 1, 2006
    If I was alone I would've walked out.
  14. JonathanC.
    Jul 16, 2006
    Comparing this to Spinal Tap or Monty Python is a disgrace to those classic films. I don't know what film these critics watched, but it certainly wasn't the one I watched. Worst film of the year.
  15. JohnN.
    Jul 24, 2006
    I love the fact that DVD's allow you to get English sub-titles so that you can understand British movies such this. Be that as it may, I really found the humor lacking in this film. Oh yes it was creative a "the film within the film", but ongoing jokes such as war injuries to the genitalia were just plain dumb and not funny. I find British humor a bid odd, but I still get a good I love the fact that DVD's allow you to get English sub-titles so that you can understand British movies such this. Be that as it may, I really found the humor lacking in this film. Oh yes it was creative a "the film within the film", but ongoing jokes such as war injuries to the genitalia were just plain dumb and not funny. I find British humor a bid odd, but I still get a good chuckle out of Rickey Gervais, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers etc... I just couldn't find any reason to get interested or laugh at this one. Expand
  16. JeremyK.
    Sep 17, 2006
    A phenomenal piece of work. This is the artist's hand steadily at play. A collaborative comedy with an underlying current that reminds us of how much facical our world views and sense of self vs others always leaves us wanting. By embracing a post-modern jester of his time (Sterne) and this wonderful age-old satire - Winterbottom, Boyce, Coggan and crew have done just that - created A phenomenal piece of work. This is the artist's hand steadily at play. A collaborative comedy with an underlying current that reminds us of how much facical our world views and sense of self vs others always leaves us wanting. By embracing a post-modern jester of his time (Sterne) and this wonderful age-old satire - Winterbottom, Boyce, Coggan and crew have done just that - created a blazing re-definition of post-modernism and as much as we hate the cliche --- it is unabashedly "ahead of it's time". As bold and awe-inspiring as the film medium has the potential to be. Brilliant. Expand
  17. RG
    Feb 28, 2007
    This is one of the fuuniest movies last year and one of the smartest in a very long time. Post modernism has never been embraced so beautifuly in a movie as this. very interesting approach taken by the film makers: Coogan plays himself, Tristram and then his father, as he just turns a father. Great chemistry between Coogan and Rydon. Rydon also plays a caricature of himself and This is one of the fuuniest movies last year and one of the smartest in a very long time. Post modernism has never been embraced so beautifuly in a movie as this. very interesting approach taken by the film makers: Coogan plays himself, Tristram and then his father, as he just turns a father. Great chemistry between Coogan and Rydon. Rydon also plays a caricature of himself and Tristram's uncle. Whatever parallels that are drawn between characters played by characters, the director himself draws by the medium of film on the book, tristram shandy. That a little hard to digest but its def worth seeing, it makes more sense when you are watching it brilliant and winterbottom is def becoming one of the best and most consistent directors. Expand
  18. JamesM.
    Jan 29, 2006
    Brilliantly directed and acted, and very funny. Fast and witty, largely centred on interplay between Coogan and Bryden, mining the charming egoism and self-indulgence of the novel itself.
  19. TomS.
    Jan 31, 2006
    A clever interpretation which is hilarious. Well worth seeing.
  20. ClaireH.
    Feb 15, 2006
    A funny, funny film. Brydon is a dellight and steals the film. In the period setting, Moran and Hawes are terrific: believable and funny.
  21. DeWayneP.P.
    Feb 18, 2006
    This is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I left the film after one hour, and I have never done that before. I give it no higher than a 0, only because I didn't get my money back from the theatre!. This film demonstrates just how deeply rooted comedy is to our cultural language; and if you understand the British (and who really does!...just kidding!) then this film is a This is one of the worst films I have ever seen. I left the film after one hour, and I have never done that before. I give it no higher than a 0, only because I didn't get my money back from the theatre!. This film demonstrates just how deeply rooted comedy is to our cultural language; and if you understand the British (and who really does!...just kidding!) then this film is a scream! If not, then join me and scream in horror as you run for the exits! Expand
  22. ElizabethC.
    Mar 1, 2006
    People seem to either love or hate this film. I found it really frustrating. This is basically two films - the 18th century story of Tristram Shandy and the "mockumentary" of the making of the film. There isn't really much of a narrative, but I understand that this is true to the book. There is some witty interplay between Coogan and Brydon at the beginning and end. Some of the People seem to either love or hate this film. I found it really frustrating. This is basically two films - the 18th century story of Tristram Shandy and the "mockumentary" of the making of the film. There isn't really much of a narrative, but I understand that this is true to the book. There is some witty interplay between Coogan and Brydon at the beginning and end. Some of the period scenes are hilarious, such as Tristram's explanation of why this is called "a cock and bull story". Yet the viewer may become impatient with most of the modern day sequences, which aren't really insightful or all that intersting, and the lack of a story line. Expand
  23. ZethB.
    Mar 12, 2006
    Excellent film, funny throughout and all the cast were perfect.
  24. AndrewT.
    Mar 12, 2006
    A few laughs, but really not enough ideas here for a movie. The worst movie I have seen at the theater in a while. Goes to show that the critics are wrong sometimes.
  25. VinceS.
    Mar 31, 2006
    So many of you, it seems, missed the point of the movie. The book upon which it was based was about life, and how hectic and unrelatable it is which they even say in the movie. Of course, they could never really show this in a movie, so they make it about trying to adapt the book, and it becomes a hectic mess - about life! A perfect adaption, and a brilliant look at life.
  26. BrianS.
    Apr 10, 2006
    I so enjoyed this movie, not your normal crap that gets churned out from the majors. Steve Coogan is the reason I went to this movie, and he didn't dissapoint! I haven't laughed at a movie this hard in a long time! I'm betting that people that don't like this movie, don't get the British sense of humor.
  27. KarenL
    Apr 5, 2006
    No Vince S., you miss the point. It doesn't matter what the filmmakers were trying to do, or were trying to say. The bottom line is that they ended up with an extremly dull, unfunny movie. If we rated movies based on the filmmakers intentions, every movie would be a masterpiece.
  28. Sparkle
    Jun 2, 2006
    Perfect in every way. A superbly clever adaptation with its heart in surprising places.
  29. TatianaH.
    Jul 13, 2006
    Utterly confusing and yet completely delightful. I've rarely seen a film that captured how messy life is so well, and it made me eager to read the novel itself. Plus, I became as deeply interested in the faux Coogan's life as I was in Shandy's, a rare feat when there are parallel sotrylines.
  30. HenryW.
    Jul 17, 2006
    Has its moments, but it's not nearly as clever as it thinks it is. It sells itself as a mocumentry although the mockumentry elements feel forced and unrealistic compared to Christopher Guest stuff. Biggest problem is that it's not actually funny.

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    A successful mix of literary adaptation, meta-fictional discourse and inside-showbiz comedy. Both funny and clever.
  2. Long deemed unfilmable, the 18th century novel finds the perfect interpreters in director Michael Winterbottom and actor Steve Coogan.
    Has about a dozen layers of in-joke, and up to the eighth or ninth layer, they mostly work.