7.1

1. Dec 21, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hmmm makes me wonder why some of the reviews are over analyzing this movie. The movie is near perfect in bringing TRON to today's audience. The acting was well done and the visual effects blew me away. I guess my only complaint is that I would of liked to have seen more of TRON (Bruce Boxleitner), but maybe in the next movie. Daft Punk really delivered in the muscial score...I hope this is not the last of Kevin Flynn...

Me: I have been a loyal fan of TRON since I was a kid, owned both TRON and Discs of TRON arcade machines, attended the 2000 E3 show to help promote TRON 2.0 the PC game with then rumors of Disney looking at scripts for a movie...I'm happy to say that I loved the film and it exceeded my expectations.

Disney really owes a lot to www.tron-sector.com, who helped keep TRON alive all these years..and here we are ;-)
  2. Jan 1, 2011
    OK, what the heck? Whats wrong with these critics!? This movie was AMAZING. I loved every thing about this movie. Great action. Great effects. Great actors. Love it. DON'T LISTEN TO THE CRITICS. WATCH IT.
  3. Dec 22, 2010
    The movie didn't have to be 3D, because most of it wasn't, but the 3D scenes were nicely done and the digital visual world was pretty cool. The first half of the movie was somewhat intriguing and interesting. But the second half really hit a lull and didn't recover. The dialog was horrible and the characters dull, almost trite. Some of the story seem borrowed from Star Wars.

The visual

The visual effects and the first half was good to see in the theater in 3D, but I wouldn't want to rent it.
  4. Dec 22, 2010
    This movie really did pay tribute to the original. I have been a fan sense the first one and this one is exactly in the same spirit. It is slow at times, fast paced at others as well as being visually and musically a landscape. The sound and sites are a treat, the story, while not perfect, is, when compared to the first, a perfect sequel. I can't wait to see if this series can ramp it upThis movie really did pay tribute to the original. I have been a fan sense the first one and this one is exactly in the same spirit. It is slow at times, fast paced at others as well as being visually and musically a landscape. The sound and sites are a treat, the story, while not perfect, is, when compared to the first, a perfect sequel. I can't wait to see if this series can ramp it up in following movies, or if it dies do to over critical inter-net snobbery. See the first one again, then go see this. You will not be disappointed and in the end that is why you bought the ticket and took the ride.

END OF LINE
  5. Dec 23, 2010
    An absolute spectacle. Breathtaking, cinematic and inspired. The story is fairly weak (but fashionably Disney), and the dialogue a little forced ("Radical, man"), but the experience is far from disappointing. The musical score has an undeniably exciting leitmotif, and the fact that it was composed by first-timers Daft Punk really emphasises its brilliance.
  6. Dec 24, 2010
    I loved this movie... I want more! Go see it.
  7. Dec 26, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Daft punk's soundtrack is outstanding, but is hard to think of any other reason to watch the movie. The visuals are great? Indeed they are. But you can't stand watching a whole movie only for its visuals, specially as they are the same in all the movie. It seems that the designers first created wonderful images, but then run out of ideas. Action sequences were not as entertaining as they should have been and the plot was developed terribly. There was never tension, and the audience never really connects with any character. Acting is good, though not great. Jeff Bridges, Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett did a great job. Hedlund's Sam Flynn is however a soulless character; he acts as if he was a bored teenager playing videogames all the time. There was more humanity in Quorra, a 'program', than in Sam, the 'user'. Expand
  8. Dec 28, 2010
    I was pleasantly surprised by Tron: Legacy.
    First off, this movie has the best matched soundtrack in a very long time. Daft Punk do/does the music and it figuratively drives the film.
    The visual effects are very nice and help tell the story as opposed to overshadowing it. The acting was good and it was fun to see Bruce Boxleitner and Jeff Bridges back on The Grid. I also thought it was
    I was pleasantly surprised by Tron: Legacy.
    I also thought it was cool that there was a brief reference to the old MCP.
    There was plenty in this movie to create new TRON fans and enough bones tossed to old TRON fans to make them (me) feel acknowledged.
    I give it an 8/10.
    I think the movie could have been edited down to improve pacing and reduce the overall length of the film.
  9. JMB
    Dec 28, 2010
    "Sure it's not an Oscar-worthy, deep, intelluctual sci-fi masterpiece, but why should it be?"

No one said it had to be. That wasn't the problem with the movie, and if you read the reviews, you'd see the main complaint is the same as mine - this movie wasn't fun enough. Too much talking, not ENOUGH flair and flash. This movie didn't have to be deep, but for an action film it wasn't break neck, non-stop enough. When it did stop to talk about the plot (show, don't tell, dammit!) the film slowed to a screeching halt.

The visuals are pretty, if uncreative after a while. Teal and orange glow only last so long. Daft Punk's score was superb. All told, I can't say I regret paying five bucks for a ticket to see this (matinee prices FTW!), but I was definitely checking the time a bit too often for a sci-fi action flick..
  10. Dec 29, 2010
    It's like your usual guns and girls action movie... for a nerd. Everything from the light cycles to the disk throwing to aerial techno dog fights looks absolutely stunning and are truly the highlights of the movie. Everything else is forgettable. Acting is sub-par and the only memorable personality is that of Jeff Bridges who plays a mix of god and hippie. If you want a nice looking movie,It's like your usual guns and girls action movie... for a nerd. Everything from the light cycles to the disk throwing to aerial techno dog fights looks absolutely stunning and are truly the highlights of the movie. Everything else is forgettable. Acting is sub-par and the only memorable personality is that of Jeff Bridges who plays a mix of god and hippie. If you want a nice looking movie, I would suggest it but like others have said, it lacks a grabbing story. Expand
  11. Dec 29, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Interesing movie, but it's a cliche, it doesnt give us something new and the music i expected more of Daft Punk, the only really good it's the visual effects but the don't know how to use in its totallity the 3D.... its only a movie that you can see in your room in a borin sunday afternoon. i hope my "critic" could help you for make a descicion to see it Expand
  12. Dec 30, 2010
    This movie is brilliant. Everything about but especially the visual effects and the soundtrack were quite FTW. And nickissortacool. I recommend this movie to everyone with eyes and ears.
  13. Jan 4, 2011
    I do not understand the negative reviews for this film because I LOVED it! I think that some people are forgetting who this film was made by and who it was made for. Of course the film isn't intense and or deeply intellectual it was made byt he Disney company for ALL AGES. I am a college student and went to the film with my boyfriend who is also in college and his twin brothers who are 13.I do not understand the negative reviews for this film because I LOVED it! I think that some people are forgetting who this film was made by and who it was made for. Of course the film isn't intense and or deeply intellectual it was made byt he Disney company for ALL AGES. I am a college student and went to the film with my boyfriend who is also in college and his twin brothers who are 13. All four of us enjoyed the movie and want to see it again. The visuals are breath-taking and the musical score is excellent. I wish that the critics would take a step back and reassess the movie as a whole instead of comparing it to movies which were made for completely different audiences and purposes. Expand
  14. Jan 6, 2011
    SERIOUSLY ignore then hate bandwagon that's rolling along (it seems it cool to hate this film) and go see a damn good action movie. Obviously my score gets a +1 as it was IMAX but still think it was great.
  15. Jan 6, 2011
    This movie is pretty much awesome, don't freakin listen to the critics! It's an amazing audio/visual experience that will definitely blow your mind!! The acting is great, the directing is great and i was pretty stunned when i saw it was made from a non-famous director. The music score... all i can say is that after i saw the movie i was in youtube for hours listening to the soundtrack.This movie is pretty much awesome, don't freakin listen to the critics! It's an amazing audio/visual experience that will definitely blow your mind!! The acting is great, the directing is great and i was pretty stunned when i saw it was made from a non-famous director. The music score... all i can say is that after i saw the movie i was in youtube for hours listening to the soundtrack.
    About the story... i don't get it, how can some ppl say it lacks in story (ofc it's not "silence of the lambs" or "shutter island") but i guess ur mind was blacked out from the visual awesomeness and u didn't really pay attention to the film (poor IQ).
  16. Jan 6, 2011
    I don't know why this movie got such a bad critic score, but i loved this movie, it is one of my new favorite movies, i even paid to see it in 3d Twice, and i normally will only go see movies if i have a coupon or get in free. The music is awesome, i even downloaded the Daft punk album! lots of action great storyline, and Olivia Wilde is Strangly extremely attractive :p
  17. Jan 25, 2011
    The movie was a spectacular show with regards to its special effects. The story is however a bit off what would have been was for Disney to let another studio handle this to increase its action sequence and improve its script. What I can say was that this movie combined with Daft Punk's score made it a truly remarkable piece of work.
  18. Jan 9, 2011
    The Tron Legacy maybe not a matrix caliber film, but even it is a breathtaking masterpiece with unique design and incredible spectacle. The music is clearly one of the best soundtrack. Simply phenomenal. A good hint, if you can watch it in 3D!
  19. Jan 9, 2011
    Certainly it lacks strong characters but I'd risk to say Olivia Wilde's performance as an 'app' is somehow praise-worth. I enjoyed. The highlights are the visual effects --the colors combination fits the virtual environment and takes you into it -- and the soundtrack. Never would expect to like Daft Punk.
  20. Jan 12, 2011
    If you were expecting a thought provoking and intensely deep and mind blowing story, A) you went to the wrong movie B) Did you see the original Tron? Come on now... Really? You were expecting an incredible story?

What makes this movie good it: IT'S FUN. It's not about about a well developed story. I agree, there were some holes, and it was lacking in answers and it was extremely simple. But how crazy involved was the original Tron? Not so much. The characters were decent, not great, again they didn't add massive amounts of story to get you really feeling sympathetic towards them, but they were different and fun.

What makes Tron: Legacy good is its atmosphere. The music is incredible. Daft Punk absolutely blew my mind. When "Son of Flynn" start playing while Sam was on his motorcycle towards the opening, the hair on the back of my neck stood on end, my eyes widened, and my jaw dropped to the ground. I fell in love with the score right away. Obviously if you don't like electronic music (with very obvious classical influences and basis), you may not have a very good taste in music, but hey, who am I to judge.

Second, the "light" of the entire movie was gorgeous. The costuming and character make-up was so well created that it was obvious how much time and effort they put into the physical appearance of the characters. Lights, buildings, clothing, even the ambient mountains, oceans, fireworks, and overall background had the electronic and mathematical precision and feel of a computer. You felt like you were there.

Thirdly, and finally my last major point, the action was fantastic. For true Tron fans, getting to see the light cycles in a whole new light (pun intended) was absolutely stunning. The disc battles made you feel like you were watching a deadly gymnastics competition. Even the scene with the planes trailing light ribbons was beautiful.

And again, if you had scene the original tron you would have gotten many of the Easter Egg lines and nods to the original movie making it feel even more heart warming after being a fan for so long.

So yes, it was an incredible movie. Yes it had it's problems. But in the end, I felt like I had watch the sequel to the original Tron. I fell in love with the music and the atmosphere. I didn't want the movie to end.

Go see it, but see it for fun.
  21. Jan 20, 2011
    This was Great contrary to what the critic's say TRON is everything that could have been expected from a sequel and even more, Jeff Bridges retains his Flynn character masterfully and the updated technology in cinema and CGI helps set this as a masterpeice... On a side note what really blowed me away was the Amazing score by Electronica duo DAFT PUNK, the robot pair set up an amazingThis was Great contrary to what the critic's say TRON is everything that could have been expected from a sequel and even more, Jeff Bridges retains his Flynn character masterfully and the updated technology in cinema and CGI helps set this as a masterpeice... On a side note what really blowed me away was the Amazing score by Electronica duo DAFT PUNK, the robot pair set up an amazing soundtrack mixing electro with orchestral music Expand
  22. Feb 14, 2011
    Do NOT see this movie. Although the costumes, visual effects, and sounds are state of the art, the rest of this movie just sucks. Although Jeff Bridges once again comes through in his acting, its not enough to make this movie watchable
  23. Mar 9, 2011
    I loved this movie. It felt like a movie 100% geared towards me. The details of the TRON universe are impossible to explain in a movie such as this. It touches on things but does not go into detail, nor can it. Considering the world of TRON was made up by 1 person, how interesting can the world ultimately be. The only X factor is the "race" of digital beings Jeff Bridges discovers butI loved this movie. It felt like a movie 100% geared towards me. The details of the TRON universe are impossible to explain in a movie such as this. It touches on things but does not go into detail, nor can it. Considering the world of TRON was made up by 1 person, how interesting can the world ultimately be. The only X factor is the "race" of digital beings Jeff Bridges discovers but yet are all extinct but 1. Anywho....visuals are amazing and that is what this movie is all about to be honest. I wish there was more in terms of a universe or sequal material but there isn't and I'm ok with that. I walked away from the movie feeling satisfied, the ending was acceptable in terms of liking the movie and being able to walk away. I recommend to see but yet not try to "grasp" every detail, just accept. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2011
    Eventually saw this movie, it was better than i was expected, at first for it's plot, which is quite interesting, however ending was very ''casual'' and expectable with some traditional Hollywood tricks, which slightly disappointed me, but overall this really good, with spectacular design and soundtrack, but it doesn't matters against main idea of the film- Seeking of perfection.
  25. Apr 2, 2011
    The only positive things about this movie are the special effects and Jeff Bridges. Their plot was incredibly bad, almost to the point where I left the movie theatre. If you can overlook writing and a plot that any amateur could have done, the special effects are worth seeing, but I wouldn't waste my time on it knowing what I know now.
  26. Apr 23, 2011
    This movie is the embodiment of mediocre. I love the original, even though it too had it's moments of poor writing. Yet it was really original for it's time. This one loses some of the originality, and has way too many terrible lines. Even the elder Flynn throws out way too many 80's slang words. This movie is mostly a cash in on a movie that has become a cult classic. The onThis movie is the embodiment of mediocre. I love the original, even though it too had it's moments of poor writing. Yet it was really original for it's time. This one loses some of the originality, and has way too many terrible lines. Even the elder Flynn throws out way too many 80's slang words. This movie is mostly a cash in on a movie that has become a cult classic. The on redeeming quality is the amazing special effects. Yet the story is weak, the dialogue is poor, and much of the acting sub par. Expand
  27. Apr 23, 2011
    The film to be frank was a good one although i didnt understand the plot until near the end i enjoyed it it would have got an 9/10 or 10/10 but the ending lacked something
  28. Apr 27, 2011
    I really enjoyed TRON-Legacy, perhaps not so much because of the story, but the fact that the visuals and music were stunning. The story was pretty normal and rather clichéd; and as stated in previous reviews actually rather weak. However, the fact that there was the fantastic soundtrack by the French dance geniuses Daft Punk which were so fantastically intertwined with superbI really enjoyed TRON-Legacy, perhaps not so much because of the story, but the fact that the visuals and music were stunning. The story was pretty normal and rather clichéd; and as stated in previous reviews actually rather weak. However, the fact that there was the fantastic soundtrack by the French dance geniuses Daft Punk which were so fantastically intertwined with superb visuals that really made the film stand out. I was perhaps slightly dissapointed with some of the rather lacklustre acting performances, but hey, when the visuals and soundtrack are as brilliant as that, who gives a **** Expand
  29. Mar 31, 2012
    It does not surprise me the subtle nuance of Tron: Legacy is lost on this new generation of "critics". The subtle elegance of Tron Legacy may be lost on kids of this generation who did not grow up into a digital world but, rather, were born into it after it was already here. As a result I expect this sequel is directed more towards my generation rather than the kids who were born longIt does not surprise me the subtle nuance of Tron: Legacy is lost on this new generation of "critics". The subtle elegance of Tron Legacy may be lost on kids of this generation who did not grow up into a digital world but, rather, were born into it after it was already here. As a result I expect this sequel is directed more towards my generation rather than the kids who were born long after Tron hit the big screen.

Here is a little secret, I am old enough to remember the original movie in theaters when it was first released. Riding my deck to the arcade at the mall to play the "new" Tron video game.

We who spent our lives discovering this new digital frontier may be more apt to notice the opening scene, the scene with a younger Jeff Bridges and the young Sam Flynn, is completely digitally rendered. We have come a long way baby from Pong and Space Invaders haven't we? Yes even Sam's grandparents and the opening scene of the front of the house being hit by rain, it's all digital. The movie seamlessly transitions from digital to camera footage and it quickly becomes difficult to tell what is "real" and what is not from scene to scene. This muddy distinction between fact and fiction leads the perceiver to appreciate this movie as more than just a pretty picture with some cool tunes. There is more going on here than just that.

As a sequel Tron Legacy ties up very neatly what has transpired since Flynn was trapped on the Grid so many cycles ago. Sometimes sequels in the video game or digital pop genre can have an ever present feeling of contrivance and surreality that overcomes the story and narrative appeal. Luckily Tron Legacy is so well done that there is nothing to interrupt the telling of the story of what happens next. It is clear to me that a great deal of care and love went into the creation of Legacy as a sequel and I am grateful the producers and director decided to do it right.

A word to a new audience. Even though you may be tempted to jump straight into the world of Tron without accessing the first iteration, I would highly advise against it. Without the knowledge of the first story, new viewers in the world of the Grid may not be able to appreciate the subtleties of the back story that make Tron Legacy a very worthy sequel. Without that back story and the knowledge of what happened to Flynn in the original movie, I can easily see how a new generation would perceive this movie as little more that a colorful music video with some effects thrown in. This perception would be a shame, truly a disservice in my opinion to a great and deep story. Much of the narrative in this movie would surely be lost on a new viewer unfamiliar with the original.

The music created by Daft Punk is excellent and fits the narrative sequences without becoming overbearing. In my opinion Daft Punk captured the essence of what it would be like to experience the Grid in an aural sense and, as a result, the mood they create with their beats works together seamlessly with the flow and telling of the story. The soundtrack by itself is masterfully done and worth a listen in its own right.

For these reasons, and probably a few more that will come to me in a few more cycles, I highly recommend this movie but make sure to see the original first.

Don't mess with my Zen thing man.

end of line
  30. Dec 21, 2011
    The original Tron holds a sentimental value to me, as my father and I watched it early on in my childhood. I was always interested in computers, and from that day on, video games too. The story of Kevin Flynn being trapped in a digital world with no means of escape and to be there for almost 25 years before an aggressive CLU(codified likeness utility) took it upon himself to lure Flynn'sThe original Tron holds a sentimental value to me, as my father and I watched it early on in my childhood. I was always interested in computers, and from that day on, video games too. The story of Kevin Flynn being trapped in a digital world with no means of escape and to be there for almost 25 years before an aggressive CLU(codified likeness utility) took it upon himself to lure Flynn's son Sam into the machine makes for one HELL of a great story, and it grabbed a hold of me right from the start. Jeff Bridges does a great job of playing himself, young and old, and CLU, the program that ultimately turns on him and drives him into exile.
    And the movie wouldn't be the same without the TOP-NOTCH soundtrack done exclusively by Daft Punk. They have a rare gem on their hands with this Album, and I'm listening to it now as of this being typed....
    I can say enough about it: emotionally attaching, great soundtrack, gripping storyline, and a decent job by the actor portraying Sam Flynn, Kevin's son, Garrett Hedlund-all makes for a great movie I can't seem to watch enough.
  31. Dec 17, 2011
    This movie did not disappoint, with loads of action, great special effects, and an awesome soundtrack, I spent most of the time with a big grin on my face! Disney have done a very good job here, entertaining for adults but at the same time not too hard for children to understand what was going on (my 5 and 7 year old sons both understood it). Also, there are some very cool nods to theThis movie did not disappoint, with loads of action, great special effects, and an awesome soundtrack, I spent most of the time with a big grin on my face! Disney have done a very good job here, entertaining for adults but at the same time not too hard for children to understand what was going on (my 5 and 7 year old sons both understood it). Also, there are some very cool nods to the original Tron (no spoilers, you'll just have to watch it) and Jeff Bridges is amazing! Well done Disney, hope there is another on the way. Expand
  32. Nov 17, 2011
    The world inside the computer looks amazing, the soundtrack totally emerges (?!) you into the film, there's plenty of action, a decent story, in short: i enjoyed it very much.
  33. DKE
    Feb 7, 2012
    Tron: Legacy is an action packed Sci-Fi Fantasy that captures the true potential of the human imagination in the digital world. Jeff Bridges (Kevin Flynn and Clu) goes all out and plays a two-part role in this digital adventure. When Kevin Flynn discovers a portal into the digital world, he replicates himself by creating a program that he named Clu. Together, Flynn and Clu worked to createTron: Legacy is an action packed Sci-Fi Fantasy that captures the true potential of the human imagination in the digital world. Jeff Bridges (Kevin Flynn and Clu) goes all out and plays a two-part role in this digital adventure. When Kevin Flynn discovers a portal into the digital world, he replicates himself by creating a program that he named Clu. Together, Flynn and Clu worked to create a Utopia, until Clu betrays Flynn. Flynn cannot defeat his digital self and therefore goes into hiding in the digital world from Clu. For over 20 years, Kevin Flynn is trapped in the grid, while Clu builds his empire. Cluâ Expand
  34. Jan 18, 2013
    I waited 28 years to see a sequel. The light cycle scene was better than expected, but then it is 28 years later. I've seen several complaints about "dude" and "radical" being used, truth is that if you were trapped in the system since the 1980's, your vocabulary would be the same. Visually, overall, it was spectacular. The storyline could have been better, but it's a 28 year inI waited 28 years to see a sequel. The light cycle scene was better than expected, but then it is 28 years later. I've seen several complaints about "dude" and "radical" being used, truth is that if you were trapped in the system since the 1980's, your vocabulary would be the same. Visually, overall, it was spectacular. The storyline could have been better, but it's a 28 year in waiting Disney movie sequel. The performances were good. Having Daft Punk do the music score, and the timing was excellent. My only real complaint is that the movies namesake didn't have more screen time. Worth buying. My copy is going up beside the 20th anniversary edition of the first Tron. Expand
  35. Aug 3, 2013
    This movie gets a 1 for me only because of the visuals and the music. I torrented this because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth my money and boy was I right. A ridiculous plot with plot holes you could drive a tank through, some truly terrible performances and the title character being a bad guy for most of the film (not that you would even notice unless you were really payingThis movie gets a 1 for me only because of the visuals and the music. I torrented this because I had a feeling it wouldn't be worth my money and boy was I right. A ridiculous plot with plot holes you could drive a tank through, some truly terrible performances and the title character being a bad guy for most of the film (not that you would even notice unless you were really paying attention) before changing sides for no discernable reason to help the good guys win. This film is horrible and should not be watched by anyone. Expand
  36. Jan 3, 2014
    In my opinion, this a great movie! It has a great story, and the effects and the fake lights are amazing! I saw it in 3d, and it was one of my favorite movies I have ever seen! I would definitely get this movie on dvd or blueray!

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Dec 17, 2010
    When director Joseph Kosinski flips the switch on action, TRON: Legacy is entertaining enough. Especially in 3D IMAX, with a mega-audio system booming Deft Punk's droning Xbox-ready musical score, nearly drowning out the collisions.
  2. Reviewed by: John DeVore
    Dec 17, 2010
    Tron: Legacy will only be enjoyed by men in their thirties and early forties searching for a Proustian moment.
  3. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 17, 2010
    That's the culture we live in, where the once-proscribed Pleasure Principle has become iron law and where the recycled, bloated, fish-belly emptiness of something like TRON: Legacy carries boredom to extravagant new heights.