2.9

1. Apr 2, 2013
    I went into this movie with an open mind! I didn't even have to buy the ticket! And I sure wasn't pressed for time. I had nothing to lose with getting even the slightest bit of enjoyment from this film. I'm pretty certain that even the most mediocre slurry of a movie could have entertained me enough to simply shrug and say "whatever" and I would have been fine with that.
    Sadly... No...

What I got in return was a lasting nightmare that won't ever go away. I am prohibited, by law, from filing any formal charges for what I believe to be psychological torment and/or aggravated assault.

WARNING: TOXIC!
    NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION!
    IF MOVIE COMES INTO CONTACT WITH EYES, RINSE THOROUGHLY AND IMMEDIATELY AND CONTACT YOUR NEAREST POISON CONTROL CENTER!
  2. Mar 29, 2013
    The full title of Tyler Perry’s new film is “Tyler Perry’s Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor” which is a big handle for what would make a good TV movie with about 15 minutes cut from this fairly slow moving film. I am a big fan of Tyler Perry (except for his Madea character) and I keep hoping his films will ‘crossover’ to an additional crowd to his usual fan base. Though it was a little larger audience today Allen and I were the only white faces in the audience.

The screenplay, based on his stage play, and directed by Perry, this film is all cliches. An amatuer director, when showing New Orleans, would feature someone singing “When The Saints Come Marching In” and a couple eating beignets at the Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter or having them walk down Bourbon Street sipping Hurricanes. Perry, far from an amatuer, does just that as in the Washington D.C. scenes there are ALL the monuments and buildings an audience will be familiar with.

Regarding the actors, and including a couple in that list seems offense to include as actors, I was familiar with Renee Taylor, who gets the wise crack lines, Vanessa Williams, whose reason for her accent distracts from her performance and doesn’t pay off when the reason is given and Brandy Norwood who gives a good performance. Ella Joyce is a familiar face and most of her background is in theatre.

Jurnee Smollett-Bell, Lance Gross and Robbie Jones, all mainly from TV sitcoms and series, were new to me. One of the fun things in seeing Tyler Perry films are the point at which the male leads take off their shirts and the reactions from the audience. In Gross and Jones he picked the right guys for those scenes and though given cliche rolls they handle them well. The film revolves around Smollett-Bell who though not giving an embarrassing performance really needs more experience to tackle rolls like this.

I may be the only person who is seeing Kim Kardashian for the first time except in print and, no disrespect intended, like many others I am shaking my head as to how she has come to the point in ‘fame’ that she has reached.

This is not as good a film as his “Why Did I Get Married?” or “Why Did I Get Married Too?”. The biggest disappointment is you would have had to never seen a movie in this genre if you didn’t know where it is heading as soon as you meet the three leads. It wouldn’t be a Perry movie without some sermonizing and he brings the church, the bible, AIDS and HIV+ into the script adding to the already lengthy, at 111 minutes, of the slow moving story.

By the way if you want to see why movies are so expensive to make just sit, and read, through the end credits!
  3. Mar 29, 2013
    This is NOT a Tyler Perry movie, twelve minutes into it and you will be bored. Is this the laugh out loud funny Madea Tyler Perry? No, it's not. The film is just not good, it has no meaning all of it is kissing and Obsessions and none of the script has meaning. I say this Tyler Perry Garbage Sucks.
  4. Apr 1, 2014
    An absolute nightmare of a movie. I felt no emotion towards the characters, plot, or anything related to the movie at all. It tries hard to be a deep relationship style drama, but the way it ends just feels so pointless. What's the message here? Is it for men to treat women better and not take them for granted? Is it a warning for women not to cheat on their spouses? Or is it a look at how it can be hard to keep the fire in a relationship? To be honest it feels like all of these and yet at the same time none of these.

I found the majority of the acting here to be pretty bad, which is made worse by the fact that I found no reason to like any of these characters anyway. Each scene feels lifeless and hollow. The way christianity and religion in general is displayed here is truly awful and serves no purpose other than give both a worse name than they already have thanks to the way the religious characters are portrayed as nut jobs who have no passion in regards to any aspect of life. There's overall just a really sleazy feeling to the whole thing. When the movie tries to tackle the more serious, mature, and dark aspects of the story, it does so is such a goofy, immature, and predictable manner that I no way could take any of it seriously at all.

All of the negative reception you see from the critics and other users on here is truly well deserved. Tyler Perry should just stick to his "Madea" comedies in the future and leave the drama to people who better know how to handle it. Do yourself a favor and avoid this one no matter how big of a Tyler Perry fan you are. I give it a 2.1/10-Awful.
  5. Mar 31, 2013
    Thanks a lot Tyler Perry for making a sarcastic waste of 1 1/2 minutes of seeing Kim Kardashian cheats with every celebrity she has (Kris Humphries, for example). If Tyler doesn't make a good and improve dramatic non-Madea "Young and the Restless"-like movie, then I will never ever gonna see a Tyler Perry movie ever again. I am pissed, the critics are pissed, so does the fans. Temptation is by far the worst Tyler Perry movie of 2013. Bar none. Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2013
    Tyler Perry is not Tyler Perry even for the pathetic director Tyler Perry already is. This film was so hard to watch not because it tryed to sentimental but because it wasn't put together well. Tyler Perry's fault all around. Maybe if he could actually write a decent script for all audiences and not all black people this film wouldn't of hard both races so hard. Maybe if he took time to direct something this movie wouldn't of sucked. The script is impossible to make into a good film and with Tyler Perry controlling this film all hell breaks loose. I'm so upset I even gave this movie my movie and my time. Expand
  7. Oct 25, 2013
    acted badly misdirected a story predictable and slow the temptation to tyler perry is a path that leads to nowhere or the divercion far the concern which should be the goal of a movie like this
  8. Jul 12, 2013
    This is by far Tyler Perry's worst movie ever. I think he needs to get away from these certain plots and stick to Madea and the funny movies. If I were to give this movie a grade, it would be an F! It was horrible!

1. Reviewed by: Peter Sobczynski
    Jun 11, 2013
    The film is flat-out ludicrous from beginning to end.
  2. Reviewed by: Marjorie Baumgarten
    Apr 3, 2013
    Apart from its dramatic predictability, Temptation is a snooze because of its languid pacing and rudimentary camerawork.
  3. Reviewed by: Zachary Wigon
    Apr 2, 2013
    Temptation’s refusal to find nuance in its didactic worldview ensures that the film will ultimately only succeed for audiences already in agreement with it.