7.1

1. Jun 13, 2014
    Unbreakable thinks its smarter than it is, and Shyamalan is so self confident that everything in the movie feels manipulated and forced. In fact, the whole movie seems pointless. Even great actors like Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, and Robin Wright seem wooden and disinterested. Although i will admit this is a great movie for a drinking game. Every time a character mentions being sick, drink. Every time Bruce Willis and Robin Wright talk about their sinking marriage, drink. That should be a fun night. Expand
  2. May 27, 2014
    It lacks the suspense and creepiness that gives 'The Sixth Sense' its captivating thrills, but this is no way a stepdown. I dare to say it almost matches up with 'Sixth Sense'. The pacing is perfect, the eeriness (a trademark technique of M. Night Shyamalan) succeeds in drawing us in, and the subtle yet alluring acting (particularly Samuel L. Jackson) all adds up to be one of smartest of superhero movies. Expand
  3. Apr 12, 2014
    Having been involved in a terrible train crash David Dunn awakes in hospital to find that, not only is he is the sole survivor, but that he is completely unharmed. He is soon confronted by an odd stranger who has some peculiar claims about why he was able to survive the crash leading David on a journey to fulfil his destiny.

Making a follow up to the universally acclaimed Sixth Sense
    was always going to be a difficult task but M. Night Shyamalan fully delivers here. Davids transformation from lowly security guard to something much bigger (I wont spoil what) is both fascinating and yet still believable in part thanks to the understated performance of Bruce Willis in the lead role and Samuel L Jackson is as watchable as ever. This of course would not be an M. Night Shyamalan movie if it didn’t have a twist at the end and, while perhaps not quite as clever as The Sixth Sense, it again certainly comes as a surprise.

Often unfairly compared to M. Night Shyamalans debut Unbreakable is an excellent film in its own right that will entertain most who watch it.
  4. Jan 10, 2014
    M. Night Shyamalan is filming boring movies with really good ideas, nice actors and awesome ending twists. This movie is a perfect example of my statement.
  5. Nov 12, 2013
    Unbreakable exerts incredible mysteriousness.
    Following up The Sixth Sense, Director M. Night Shyamalan succeeds in continuing his enchanting style and creative concepts.
  6. Oct 12, 2013
    Very good movie that can touch you and show you that a movie with a hero doesn't have to be dynamic, full of action and CGI with exploding cities. Its very relaxing, smooth and calm with a good ending.
  7. Aug 1, 2013
    The film develops a tense and engaging atmosphere that seizes the attention of its audience. One major quality the film has is the element of unpredictability which in some instances, creates moments of sheer awe. Also, Willis and Jackson give fantastic performances together, partnering five years after doing so in Die Hard With A Vengeance, and this time, in a more serious and collected measure that works to perfection. Unbreakable is an entertaining superhero origin tale and the type of film that director M. Night Shyamalan needs to return back to. Expand
  8. Jul 10, 2013
    My favorite M. Night Shyamalan movie. This film has the same chilling tone as The Sixth Sense with another great performance by Bruce Willis and an equally strong performance by Samuel L. Jackson.
  9. Jul 5, 2013
    It's not the biggest or longest movie ever, but it wasn't meant to be. Unbreakable is a very good example of how to make a satisfying movie on a small scale. It's atmospheric, intriguing, well acted, and directed with skill and patience. At times it can even be emotionally powerful. It's twist ending could have been handled a little better, but it's far better than most twist endings. Even though the movie received mostly positive reviews I still find it to be underrated. It shows that M Knight Shamalan can make a good movie when he really tries. I wonder if he will ever return to form. Expand
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    Shyamalan brings back his good directing skills as he creates yet another awesome film. Sixth Sense was better, but there is no doubt that Unbreakable is an unforgettable film.
  11. Feb 23, 2013
    Unbreakable is the legend of a real life superhero brought to you by M. Night Shyamalan. The idea is profoundly unique and the cast is great, but I really didn't like how it turned out. The first half of the movie was awesome, but as Shyamalan movies tend to do, it got weird, in this case too weird. While I love Samuel L. Jackson, his character was just annoying and I didn't really consider him a threatening villain. Bruce Willis on the other hand was amazing as usual, but his character was kind of bland. Shyamalan wanted to keep the story as real and believable as possible, but a super hero who just can't get hurt and has no other real powers is just kind of dull. I love the uniqueness of the story, but the film just didn't do much for me. Expand
  12. Jan 30, 2013
    Like all Shymalan movies Unbreakable moves along at a steady pace, if you are looking for fast paced action then this is not the movie for you. However if you are wanting something that changes and keeps you guessing without being confusing then I would highly recomend this movie.
    Excellent performance from SLJ, Willis plays a similar role to the Sixth Sense.
  13. Nov 28, 2012
    "Unbreakable" is a 2000 M. Night Shyamalan film about David Dunne (Willis), an everyman, who becomes involved in a train wreck that leaves him mysteriously unscathed. With the help of a mysterious man (Jackson), Dunne soon learns that he is, in fact, an extraordinary man with superhuman attributes. Now, I know that the first mention of the name "Shyamalan" nowadays leads many people to think, ". . .ew 'The Last Airbender' ". However, there was a time when Shyamalan actually made pretty good movies. This, thankfully, is one of the only 3 he has made. "Unbreakable" is a truly compelling study of the narrative mechanics of comic books. I, being a big nerd who loves comic books, found this movie to be intensely interesting to watch because it clued me into things which I didn't know about them. Like the fact that a villains eyes are always portrayed to slightly bigger than the hero's because it shows that his view on the world is slightly more off-kilter than the hero's. And the fact that the hero's origin is often tied/interconnected with the villain's origin. These are just two of the many interesting concepts of comic book writing that are discussed throughout "Unbreakable". Now make no mistake - this movie isn't a documentary. Yes, it does discuss a lot of the methods comic book writers utilize to convey their very distinct messages, but it does this verbally and nonverbally. This movie maintains a very quiet, yet intensely brooding tone. This tone is amplified by the really somber and mesmerizing performance from Bruce Willis. The cinematography is really intelligently executed, as I found myself saying, "oh that was pretty cool/clever", to a very large amount of this film's shots. The ending could've used some work, but I'm sure with time I can learn to appreciate it. In the end, I found "Unbreakable" to be a very good film that delves deeply into some really cool subject matter. Expand
  14. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    Very underrated film and probably M. Night Shymalan's best film (in which, I know is not saying much). The story is very compelling and thought provoking.
  15. Oct 2, 2011
    i really liked where the plot of this movie went. it gives a realistic approach of typical superhero cliché's.
  16. Sep 5, 2011
    It may not be the best movie from the past eleven years, but for fans of M. Night Shyamalan, this is a very good film.

The premise about a man who survived the train accident and learns that a man who likes comic books and heroes is stalking him was spooky, but very good. The story was a very nice concept, but suffered from a weaker ending.

The acting was very solid and the chemistry
    between Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson was well built together and the pacing was very decent.

The suspense was chilling and very satisfying it got me interested to want to know what's going on. The soundtrack from James Newton Howard was a lot of fun I want to check it out soon.

Unbreakable's weaker ending doesn't cover it up, but like The Sixth Sense and Signs, M. Night Shyamalan did his best to give me some scares.

7.3 out of 10
  17. Aug 8, 2011
    This movie has many different elements but boring it's audience is not one of them. After a second viewing of the film one will see the true masterpiece that is unbreakable
  18. Aug 4, 2011
    This is one of the better films by M. Night. Good stuff; compelling idea and great twist. Just overall good acting, plot, and flow. I really hope they make an "Unbreakable 2".
  19. Jun 16, 2011
    God, this movie really got to me. I don't know why but I really, really teared up in the end. "They called me mr. Glass". Just wow, amazing performances, well written script and just amazing movie. Must see, even if you don't like comic books [stories].
  20. Mar 4, 2011
    Although it was not as good as The Sixth Sense it was still a good movie worthy of me watching it a few times. The twist was very good.
  21. Jan 15, 2011
    This movie is amazing. It is a true story of opposites coming together to separate. Great acting by Bruce Willis and Samuel L Jackson, and great directing by Night. The end leaves you thinking why? why? why? This movie is even better than the sixth sense!

1. Even the surprise ending arrives with a thud and makes us wonder why Shyamalan didn't try something new instead of recycling his "Sixth Sense" recipe.
    A gloomy, preposterous psychological thriller.
    Even if the ending doesn't entirely succeed, it doesn't cheat, and it comes at the end of an uncommonly absorbing movie.