8.0

1. DavidR.
    Dec 23, 2006
    This is amongst the best of French Cinema. Charlotte rampling gives an exquisite performance of a lover in denial. Worth watching more than once.
  2. JohnG
    Nov 11, 2005
    Beautifully introspective and subtle. Under The Sand tells the poignant but sad story of a woman struggling to cope with the sudden disappearance of her beloved husband. This film quietly studies the effects of lost love.
  3. JeffM.
    Sep 3, 2002
    There's an interesting idea for a movie somewhere in this material, but for the most part it left me cold and generally uninvolved. How much time had passed between his disapearance and the dinner party that she attended and met her eventual lover? What explanation had her friends/lover received regarding his death? If we knew these details, then perhaps their reaction to her state There's an interesting idea for a movie somewhere in this material, but for the most part it left me cold and generally uninvolved. How much time had passed between his disapearance and the dinner party that she attended and met her eventual lover? What explanation had her friends/lover received regarding his death? If we knew these details, then perhaps their reaction to her state of denial would have had more purpose to it. Expand
  4. PaulaW.
    May 27, 2002
    Great stuff. Charlotte Rampling is brilliant as a woman whose sanity falters under the strain of grief and uncertainty after her husband disappears one day on a beach in southwestern France. A film packed with style and genuine emotion.
  5. HerschelT.
    May 16, 2002
    It's a painful movie to watch, which is to its credit, but the casting and realism are a "10."
  6. X.Y.
    Feb 16, 2002
    Terrific movie. Worth repeat viewings.
  7. GreggV.
    Jan 17, 2002
    Fascinating. Who says there aren't any good parts for "older" women?
  8. RobertB.
    Jan 5, 2002
    I'm not quite sure why all of these critics rate this movie so highly. I think this appeals mostly to the 40 over crowd. I'm 26, so it wasn't too entertaining on a Saturday night.

Ozon -- has finally hit a home run, and Rampling is his most remarkable RBI.
    Rampling has never been as beautiful, not to mention as emotionally naked, nuanced, and affecting as she is here.
  3. Requires careful attention at its abrupt finish. Close concentration on the final shots yields a meaning not possible should a viewer's attention wander or turn away a few moments too soon.