• Studio: A24
  • Release Date: Apr 4, 2014
6.7

1. Jun 30, 2015
    A Sci-Fi horror film methodically shot in ways that pay homage to the genres classics, but misses both the lore and revulsion necessary to justify much appraisal. The “fill in the blank” story route seems more ignorant and apathetic than artistic or thought provoking. Aliens in human skin is not so revolutionary a concept that it needs much explaining (just examine any politician), butA Sci-Fi horror film methodically shot in ways that pay homage to the genres classics, but misses both the lore and revulsion necessary to justify much appraisal. The “fill in the blank” story route seems more ignorant and apathetic than artistic or thought provoking. Aliens in human skin is not so revolutionary a concept that it needs much explaining (just examine any politician), but to the degree that Scarlett’s character knew English, how to drive, how to walk, possessed property, rationalized target selection, knew how to seduce, etc., I couldn’t help but wonder what backstory must exist in order for any of that to seem slightly plausible in its fictional world without simultaneously contradicting Scarlett’s jejune character. Alternatively, the poor backstory may have been overlooked if the horror aspect of the film was stronger. Outside of seeing a dude get his organs Criss Angel’d, red goop on a slide (artsay symbologay!!!), babies being Tarzan’d (beginning of crab people?), and perverts, for an alien horror movie this is located fairly low on the terror spectrum. I think it is worth noting that Johanssan’s hidden camera improv was good, but her awkward attitudes manifested in a fairly unnatural or disingenuous way (awkwardly acting awkward-ception). Also, why was nudity a thing? Naked people still= artsy? Seemed more like eye candy for boner grins instead of an honest illustration of on the surface beauty. Overall, certainly not a bad movie, especially for its genre, but personally I did not find it all that great either (less is not always more). Maybe robot instead of alien (perhaps a bit easier to explain)? Illuminati confirmed… Expand
  2. Feb 18, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Long waitings for those who doesn't like sensorial movies (intentionally dragged) or feel it not so absorbing or whatever lest disgusting. The insensibility of Johansson's character by what is typically human is terrifying. Her wanderings stops in a slaughterhouse art-movie, over a syllogism of fragmented images where the black stuff and the annoying sound are the materialization of the Johansson's human emptiness. Maybe once banished, some experiments for feel like humans (eat, sex) come back to her with disgusting aversion and put she lost in the mist of peculiar human nature. Human cognitive world is as annoying to "they" as the plain life for/of some of us. She then tasted be preyed by weird human inhumanity of a sort of men (as the same of her own kind of fellows). Fixing of human skin by other kind of taxidermist, the visitors wrenching out the resemblance of humanity that is present in all men for disguise of some. There is a strong appeal in this experimental movie, cumbersome and disturbing. Expand
  3. Apr 27, 2014
    If I had to characterize this movie in two words, I would say, artsy and weird.
    It's a science fiction movie that takes place in nowadays Scotland.
    If I had to characterize this movie in two words, I would say, artsy and weird.
    It's a science fiction movie that takes place in nowadays Scotland.
    There is a small number of human-looking aliens that in some way consume humans but they try to be unnoticeable so they seek lonely people. The female (played by Scarlett Johansson) hunts for lonely but promiscuous men. Being attractive and sexy, she lures them to a remote house and then to their death. Those people are gone but nobody is looking for them. I assume that male aliens are similarly hunting for lonely human females. The movie makes you think what is it to be a human.
    Johansson is not only a very attractive woman but a very tented actress as well.
    But I do not expect this movie to become a crowd-pleaser.
  4. Apr 13, 2014
    What a tease! The film presents an enigmatic premise and then drags its feet all the way to the conclusion, without ever letting us in on its secrets. I enjoy a quiet, contemplative movie, but there were so many long empty stretches and so few details that I found myself without much to contemplate.

There's some great imagery and music, and a few fascinating glimpses of humanity through the eyes of an alien... But I found myself thinking more about the unusual production of the film than the vague narrative. In the end, it felt more like an over-extended short film than a fully-formed feature.
  5. Aug 10, 2014
    Under the Skin was generally disappointing, but if you don't mind watching a movie that gets really confusing and never explains anything it might fit your taste.

The visual aspects of the film were nice, but the overall composition and artistic direction were mild at best. That said, it did provide some thought provoking perspectives on male and female relations.
  6. Jul 7, 2014
    I don't remember the last time I walked out on a movie, even so this is not the case because I saw it all, however never did I have the before the urge of leaving the theater since 30 min in. This might be one of the worst movies I have even seen. If this were 70's sci-fi maybe I'd have given it a pass but now it just passed as pretentious BS. Don't lose your money or time in this.
  7. Apr 16, 2014
    The film is not very interesting. It is boring to watch as things occur. When you wait until the end to think you have it figured out, you probably won't. It will lead to many discussions about what is was about and what it will lead to. Not a very fun film to view. One I will not watch when it make it to cable, or if it makes it.
  8. Sep 4, 2014
    I'm left needing something more... despite a masterful performance from Scarlett Johansson. Under the Skin takes a look at an alien taken human form as Scarlett Johansson somewhere in Scotland over the course of a week. That's about all you'll take away from this one.
  9. Aug 5, 2014
    If you just roll with it, it is intriguing and kind of fun. However, there were just too many moments of sheer nothingness that detracted from this otherwise good movie.
  10. Jul 21, 2014
    Creepy little movie with a Big Star Scarlett Johansson, she rides around in a Van picking up men then takes them to a weird little shack where they sink and die, like quicksand... it's boring ... and very slow, kind of interesting though... as at the end she sheds her skin as it were....

If you're not an Intellectual you'll hate this...

Based on a book by Michel Faber.
  11. Oct 22, 2014
    While I was extremely disappointed at the end of the movie, I don't want to give a scathing review. This film is meant to be watched several times. It's meant to be studied, and I didn't study it.

As a work of art, this movie shines. As a science-fiction movie, this movie fails utterly. The science fiction aspects are cast aside, as if the details are unimportant. Who are they? Where are they from? What are they doing? What do they want? If you're watching the film as a piece of art, the answers don't really matter. But as someone who enjoys science fiction, the film ended prematurely before most of the questions were answered, or in some ways even addressed.

Under The Skin's merit lies almost entirely in its subtle, deeper analysis. As a viewer, we're not expected to enjoy the movie without a considerable amount of effort on our part. This is not to say that all movies should spoon-feed a plot to the viewer, but I think there is a healthy balance between story-telling and allegory, and this film seems miss that happy medium.
  12. Jul 17, 2014
    This was one of the worst Sci Fi movies I have seen, and I LOVE Sci Fi! I waited for months for this to come out on DVD because it wasn't playing anywhere around where I live, and now I know why. I gave it a 4 instead of a 2 only because of Scarlett J. She is the only good part of the movie because she is so beautiful and sexy (so if you are a Scarlett fan it is worth seeing). ItThis was one of the worst Sci Fi movies I have seen, and I LOVE Sci Fi! I waited for months for this to come out on DVD because it wasn't playing anywhere around where I live, and now I know why. I gave it a 4 instead of a 2 only because of Scarlett J. She is the only good part of the movie because she is so beautiful and sexy (so if you are a Scarlett fan it is worth seeing). It seemed like the slow, dreary pace would all be worth it when it explained itself in the end, but this movie didn't even try to, which made me angry for wasting my time on it. I do like odd, cultish movies (like Rocky Horror Picture Show , John Waters movies, etc.) but this really missed the mark. If the ending had wrapped things up, I could have forgiven the slow pace and often boring scenes, but it didn't. A horrible, very disappointing ending for several reasons. Expand
  13. May 19, 2015
    This feature-length sci-fi thriller has all the makings of an excellent short film. If you can get past the lack of dialogue and the lengthy scene shots, you will enjoy this film.

All this is initially fascinating, and then progressively less so. The problem is the usual serial-killer issue – things, no matter how weird and kinky, get repetitive.
  2. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Apr 18, 2014
    A deeply creepy and mysterious noir.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Apr 18, 2014
    Under the Skin is, in short, a film that does just that: gets under one's skin, shining a light on what it means to be human -- even if what we end up seeing is something less than comforting.