6.8

1. Feb 23, 2013
    In Tony Scott's third straight feature starring Denzel Washington, he takes a look at an incident that occurred 3 years prior in Ohio. The event was nowhere near the magnitude seen in Unstoppable, but it defiantly put lives at risk, and put people to the test. The story follows an incident with a runaway train and the two men who risk everything to save lives from it's dangerous cargo. Washington is terrific as always, thriving in these unsung hero roles. Chris Pine, the virtual newcomer who plays the rookie, on his first day of work, is also really good and shows the potential for a strong film career. While it's not going to surprise or shock anyone, Unstoppable was fast paced, visually impactful, and very entertaining. Expand
  2. Jan 20, 2013
    Aunque ya sabes lo qué vas a ver, te pone los pelos de punta, mantiene la adrenalina activada y una vez más demuestra que las personas normales pueden ser los verdaderos héroes.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    One of the better action flicks I've seen in while. Other films try to take the intensity a little too far, but I thought Unstoppable was very well done. Intense from the very first scene to the last. Very good movie! Also, I like Rosario Dawson alot in this!
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    Featuring some solid acting from Chris Pine and Denzel Washington, "Unstoppable" is an almost relentless thrill ride from its humble start to its grand finish.
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    A well paced, high octane action thriller that'll have you on the edge of your seat until its predictable finale, which is a let down. It's the 21st century, and to end a movie like this, you need something more than what is here.
  6. Nov 2, 2012
    I seen this movie in the cinema expecting a Thrill ride, what I got was Speed 4 (The Father Ted Episode Speed 3 was more exciting than this movie), but only even more predictable, boring, stale... if not for the acting... I would have filed a petition to metacritic attempting to get them to add a minus rating to the score system and this would be sitting at -5 at least, waste of time and money.
  7. Aug 25, 2012
    A very good thriller which was just a little too cliched and cheesy for me to rate it any higher. Still I enjoyed myself and thought that Pine was rather good. Denzel and Tony Scott always tend to produce good action films.
  8. Apr 7, 2012
    Unbearable. Though I didn't expect much, the movie started off with some promise. But when we learned that Frank's' daughters worked at Hooters, I got a bad feeling. Tension was great until the blue engine started chasing the runaway train. Then things became predictable and manic. Some good actors were given some poor dialog and character motivation. Hard to believe such a situation reacted to and handled this way by railroad employees. And, Hooters...Really?? 04/08/12 Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2011
    A decent film at the least. Unstoppable will keep you from going on restroom, snack, and smoke breaks. Another worthy movie with Denzel that won't fail to please.
  10. Nov 11, 2011
    UNSTOPPABLE is an entertaining and fun action flick that is a great time when watched in cinemas.
  11. Sep 29, 2011
    The movie "Unstoppable" is a train itself. It frantically speeds up with a powerful pace and a active engine. Its......Unstoppable.
  12. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Predictable and cheesy acting. Almost feels like a bad 80's movie. The movie, moreover, had it's moments of suspense.
  13. Sep 21, 2011
    How this movie gets an average that pushes it into the green scores from the 'professional' critics makes me question exactly how corrupt they are; more than I thought, apparently. Swag must be good.
    I agree with JamesL that "Denzel has quit acting". I hope he gave his salary to charity. A-listers are responsible for what projects they choose, period. He's the most powerful person on
    this project, it's his fault.
    Stupid movies make everyone stupider, and our eye-holes are chock-full of them since I don't know when.
    Critics, I hope you soon join politicians and lawyers and wall street pirates as the most despised professionals, 'cause most of you are dirt.
  14. Aug 25, 2011
    I'll admit I know less about the railways and railroading than Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock combined! So whether this was factually or technically accurate in reflecting the true nuances of railroading, I will never know and neither do I give a hoot. And it is probably for those reasons that I enjoyed this film.
    Denzel was his usual wily, knowledgeable character who plays the underdog
    who comes out smelling like champagne and roses.
    Chris Pine is proving himself to be an actor of class who brings a believable feel to his character.
    Beyond the obligatory America-centric fist pumping and show of corporate negligence, the film rolls on at a consistently fast pace with some novel ideas.
    This is no Speed - because it is better due to credible actors keeping this "on track" and making it a very enjoyable few hours of entertainment.
  15. Jun 16, 2011
    I wouldn't go so far as to call it a mindless action thriller but it did meet my low expectations. It's a great movie to watch when there's nothing better to do and you're totally bored, other than that not really worth buying the DVD.
  16. Jun 1, 2011
    After rail workers lose control of a train and it begins barrelling down on rural towns in Southern Pennsylvania veteran rail worker Frank Barnes and Rookie Will Colson are the last hope in tracking it down before it destroys towns and becomes the biggest tragedy in rail history.

Unstoppable is what I would define as a standard action flick. You know the premise, you know there will be
    tense moments and you know that are only two real possible outcomes. Why I say standard action flick, is because there are going to be attempts mid way through the film to stop this runaway train, but because this plot is focused on the train and it being on the run, you know these attempts are more then likely going to fail. Itâ Expand
  17. Apr 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. We live in a world where, unless someone sucks it up and makes a sad, tradgedy, you will be able to predict what will happen. Therefore, it's the stuff that happens in the middle that really matters. And Unstoppable does a good job with that. The characters are all dealing with their personal problems (except for the guy in the pickup truck) and little personality tugs (except, once again, for the guy in the pickup truck). Most of the plot holes were filled except for: why not just keep chasing the train down in a pickup truck instead of a bunch of crazy other options. And of course, I wish it was a sadder story. Probably wouldn't even have picked it up the shelf ifit wasn't. I mean, why would there be a train with toxic chemicals running off and crashing into things!? They explained that nicely with the fat guy that ended up in the fast food industry. And I think the school children should have died. But it was still one of the best movies I've ever seen (and it's competing with The Dark Knight, Inception, Gladiator, Lord of the Rings, Batman Begins, and IRobot (at least one of these names has to mean something to you)). And to criticmike: the train that was "unstoppable" was going to fast to sidetrack. Expand
  18. Apr 17, 2011
    Maybe I was expecting too much from this movie, given what I was told, but I was very disappointed. Itâ
  19. Apr 12, 2011
    I was actually completely taken by surprise with this movie. I went into the theaters expecting this to be boring, as it is a movie about stopping a train. I stand corrected as the acting was superb and the editing kept things fresh and I liked how they gave the perspective of the news, and then the perspective of the people involved. I found it to definitely be worth the price of admission and I would recommend a rental if you have the time! Expand
  20. Mar 30, 2011
    This is the first film in a long time that has given me as much thrills as it has. It is had to pick up everything that is going on in the beginning, but you'll pick it up soon enough. A great thrillride!
  21. Mar 23, 2011
    Hmmm...hard movie to rate. I have to say I enjoyed it as I love D. Washington and Capt Kirk is very good in this one as well. But, a bad train can only run so long and this movie ran to long. Also, I can't get over the goofy plot involving Pine and his wife. What's that all about? She leads him to believe she is texting a lover so he draws a gun on another human, AND, he is the bad guy!!!!! Yes, there should be a protective order but it should only be to protect the wife from the justice she sorely has coming. By the end of the movie we were cheering for the train to take her out. Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Way too predictable. Before I watched the movie, I knew how it was going to end. They were going to stop the train and hug their families. Very disappointing. Expand
  23. Mar 19, 2011
    Script: a runaway train named 777 is heading at a rapid speed towards the city of Stanton. Meanwhile as it goes on, two persons frank and will are undertaking a locomotive named 1206. As they come to know about the unstoppable , frank devises a plan through which there are chances of stopping it. What is the plan frank devises ? how they stop the train is the movie about!
    Execution: the
    two questions are been effectively answered. The movie ran for 92 minutes with perfect execution without any boring scenes. Right from the start till the end , the movie had adrenaline rush. Thanks for the crisp editing for the thrill to keep alive at regular intervals. Direction and screenplay: tony scott had done a commendable job. Though the script is in one line , the movie is definitely a catchy one. Screenplay is very fast without any slowness.
    Casting: densel Washington and chris pine are the main characters of the movie. They have done a good job. An equal support by Rosario dawson and galvin gives the movie equal benefit. Rest characters fit well.
    Background score: the rustling train sounds right from the start till the stopping of the engine , the train roars. Set in a perfect soundscape , the train 777 will rustle and roar in the cinema halls. A perfect movie for home theatres also. The score is soothing , scintillating and sometimes picks up at right intervals. The sound editing is awesome. Editing: the editing of the movie is crisp and standard. The movie ran for 90 minutes and it seemed that the runtime was still far better. But due to crisp editing , the movie was perfectly driven with the train on board and 2 people on its way.
    Cinematography: the visuals in the movie are good. But cannot say they are awesome. The train moves and the surrounding scenaries of various towns across pensylvennia are captured. Nice view from the helicopters. It looked decent.
    VFX: the visual effects in the movie are not there to that extent. Few crashes and explosions are there. It moves off very quickly. But anyway , the scenes had good visual effects.
    Action episodes : there are 3-4 action episodes and stunt scenes performed by the lead cast. Not in terms of bashing of goons , but in terms of jumping onto the train. They are good enough. Camera zooming is good and the thrill during jumping , is intense.
    Production values: the movie has a good budget. Nicely taken and it deserves
    Entertainment value: the movie is entertaining. It is a perfect adrenaline rush movie. The viewers are hooked to the seats right from the title and the start of the 777. Till the climax scene everyone are hooked and this is a perfect treat for the weekend night along with the family. Rating: 3.5/5.0
    Final word: unstoppable is well packed action entertainer. It is a good movie. A sure hit. It deserves 4 stars but , due to lack of startling graphics and interesting cast , the movie stays with 3 ½ stars.
  24. Mar 18, 2011
    I'm sure that many people have watched this movie based solely on its surprisingly high scores on critic aggregate sites, and now I can count myself among their ranks. Of course, my expectations going in were still low enough that there was no real danger of being disappointed. I knew to expect shallow action, and that's exactly what it delivered, with a side of the good old blue collar workers as protagonists/white collar workers as antagonists dynamic thrown in for good measure. There was no more than token interest given to developing the characters, instead pretty much every scene was designed to increase the tension and excitement, and the movie was definitely both tense and exciting as a result. (http://diversionary-tactics.blogspot.com) Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2011
    I was surprised that this film was actually good. The first 5 or 10 minutes for me was pretty boring but the rest was really awesome. The acting of the most characters were really good (the acting of the daughters and Darcy wasn't that good). This is probably the best train-disaster film in recent years. The film made me believe that the characters were real (yeah only the unmanned train part of the film is based on a true story). This film is really interesting and awesome. Expand
  26. Mar 5, 2011
    The film lacks a certain amount of emotion, and maybe that's because it's so harsh (especially around the middle of the picture), but it sure does satisfy. Unstoppable is funny when it wants to be, has a great attention to detail and old-school, edge-of-your-seat action. Chris Pine and Denzel Washington shine as a duo. Due to the great cinematography and sound (not Academy Award worthy, however), the audience gets the feel of the immense power of the train which provides consistency throughout the film. Overall, this movie brings back the classic intensity and fun that brings back memories of 'Speed' with Keanu Reeves. Expand
  27. Feb 24, 2011
    Denzel is the kind of actor that could make a boring film seem interesting by his sheer presence, and he nearly does here... The film is too predictable and the once exciting director (Man on fire, True Romance,...) seems to be repeating himself...
  28. Feb 22, 2011
    I was hoping this movie might be accurate in depicting railroads as I have railroaded for over 30 years. This movie was terrible. Every cliche from the threatening boss, the rogue engineer, the kid winning his respect, the train clearly going about 15 mph when it is said to be going 70. Please. The spunky dispatcher, the lazy hostler. Trust me, when railroaders want to derail something, it gets derailed. My wife and I took 3 hours to watch this mess as I had to stop it so many times to laugh. It was insulting to railroaders and audiences. Denzel must have needed some money or was doing someone a favor. Expand
  29. Feb 21, 2011
    Denzel is lower key until the role calls for action. Every character is perfectly cast and the movie is well edited to avoid the usual long soapy scenes. The lead character is definitely the train, but I bet that was so when a similar incident happened. It was edge of the seat action. Held our attention and kept us engaged. Great fun - everything it should be.

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Dec 14, 2010
    I wouldn't want to see five movies like this one each week but it's a cheeky, madcap joyride.
  2. Reviewed by: Roger Moore
    Dec 14, 2010
    this is a straight-ahead ticking clock thriller, with the usual Tony S. trademarks - punchy dialogue and men doing what needs to be done.
  3. Reviewed by: Steven Rea
    Dec 14, 2010
    Scott shoots and edits Unstoppable with roller-coaster momentum and an eye (and ear) on that roaring tonnage of steel.