Up in the Air

7.4

1. Aug 22, 2010
    If you want to see 'George Clooney' play 'George Clooney' then good for you, you'll love this! If you don't want to feel like an unsophisticated plebian while watching these 2 incredibly smug people seeing who has the best comeback I'd recommend a pass, watch Lost in Translation instead, it's much better. Also the feel of this film is like pretentious wannabee Oscar material. in factIf you want to see 'George Clooney' play 'George Clooney' then good for you, you'll love this! If you don't want to feel like an unsophisticated plebian while watching these 2 incredibly smug people seeing who has the best comeback I'd recommend a pass, watch Lost in Translation instead, it's much better. Also the feel of this film is like pretentious wannabee Oscar material. in fact pretentious basically sums this movie up. For Smug, high Class idiots really. Expand
  2. Aug 14, 2010
    Seriously? This movie was humorous and all, but the ending was really stupid, I mean, Ryan finally finds a woman, but then it turns out that she was married w/ children?! That's just sad. I was disappointed that I spent, like, 5 dollars on this on VOD on Buckeye, and it sucked! Don't see this movie if you haven't yet...
  3. EveG
    Feb 1, 2010
    This movie is way overrated. It was sort of fun to watch, had some clever bits of dialogue, but is in no way as good as the critics make it out to be. It is very superficial.
  4. MichaelJ
    Jan 31, 2010
    The casting was poorly chosen, moments that were too contrived, which ultimately ruined the film.
  5. JefferyP
    Mar 6, 2010
    Overrated and overhyped. If some people trash the room when they get fired, what will they do when they get fired over the internet? Why wouldn't they just trash computer? No many laughs, either. I
  6. LordB
    Feb 15, 2010
    Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist Overhyped and overrated. Ultimately a conservative, sententious piece, which is a pity as it didn't start out that way. Clooney's casting, which seemed masterful given his real life rejection of moral 'essentials' like marriage, in the end became jarringly contradictory. Imagine Charlie Sheen playing the Pope, or Amy Winehouse playing Anne Frank. The shallowist 'deep' film I've seen. Expand
  7. Aug 27, 2011
    It was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney areIt was a well done movie, but I was bored in the middle of it, so I've left. I watched the other half few days later so. I don't know. It didn't keep my attention. I wouldn't say it was predictable. I thought that George and Vera's character will hook up and get married but it wasn't so. I also like Anna's character and that's all. All together, it was boring. Fans of George Clooney are gonna love it. Expand
  8. DoodleT
    Apr 6, 2010
    Film is going well until Detroit. Then it deflates into cheap propaganda. The 'existential' ending makes no sense. Nothing gained from watching this. Ryan is who we thought he was!
  9. RayB.
    Jan 1, 2010
    The critics hype is disproportional to the substance. The Users have this one pegged!
  10. MaxL
    Dec 17, 2009
    Good acting and dialogues make up for the airy plot that's a bit bumpy once it hit the ground that's not the airports. The ending is rather nice but feels tacked on.
  11. BenW.
    Dec 10, 2009
    I would have given it a ten if it hadn't just stopped right when things were at their emotional peak. Great set up, Great characters, wonderful performances, fun, sexy, and entertaining, but with no resolution or aftermath of Clooney's character's growth, it just kind of leaves you pissed off and depressed. And the worst part of it all, is that it is still once of the best I would have given it a ten if it hadn't just stopped right when things were at their emotional peak. Great set up, Great characters, wonderful performances, fun, sexy, and entertaining, but with no resolution or aftermath of Clooney's character's growth, it just kind of leaves you pissed off and depressed. And the worst part of it all, is that it is still once of the best movies I've seen in the last year. Expand
  12. JohnC
    Jan 17, 2010
    This film is definitely overrated by the critics. It starts with an interesting idea and it features fairly good acting and a few nice lines. However, the plot development is neither captivating nor compelling.
  13. DavidC
    Jan 22, 2010
    As mediocre as movies get. Jason Reitman's worst movie to date. Thank you for smoking is a far superior movie in every way and I don't remember much oscar buzz surrounding that. Ridiculous hype, do not believe it.
  14. JL
    Jan 22, 2010
    Somebody MUST have had a lot of critics on the payroll. I loved "Thank You For Smoking" and "Juno". But "Up In The Air" is really a take it or leave it kind of film. Fine for a DVD watch on a rainy afternoon, but nothing more. The characters are interesting and there's a little bit of conflict and revelation. But best film of the year?! Best actor?! I haven't been this surprised Somebody MUST have had a lot of critics on the payroll. I loved "Thank You For Smoking" and "Juno". But "Up In The Air" is really a take it or leave it kind of film. Fine for a DVD watch on a rainy afternoon, but nothing more. The characters are interesting and there's a little bit of conflict and revelation. But best film of the year?! Best actor?! I haven't been this surprised about the critics ravings since "Million Dollar Baby". The only excuse I can come up with is that critics and Hollywood types relate to the movie because they are always flying on planes and on the go with no time for serious relationships and/or a preferce for non-committed relationships. I simply didn't relate to the movie themes. Expand
  15. CarolynM.
    Jan 4, 2010
    Great cast--expecially Clooney--but the last five minutes spoil it. I like something to *happen* in my movies.
  16. JoshuaF
    Jan 6, 2010
    Possibly the worst let down in a movie that I was looking forward to in a long time. I want my money back. Very pretentious synopsis of corporate America. I must be missing the critics view by a mile, because I'm usually in agreement. Sorry Reitman, Juno was fantastic...this is a dud!
  17. WayneL.
    Feb 11, 2010
    When the movie was over, I couldn't answer the question of why it was made.
  18. KarenG.
    Feb 2, 2010
    The most overpraised movie I've seen in ages. Cute and nicely tucked in artifice posing as something "poignant." I find it really disappointing how many people apparently were seduced by the surface-level fluff, "sexiness," and doc-style interviews with real laid-off people (the best part of the movie, by far -- but lacking an organic connection to Bingham's story) into thinking The most overpraised movie I've seen in ages. Cute and nicely tucked in artifice posing as something "poignant." I find it really disappointing how many people apparently were seduced by the surface-level fluff, "sexiness," and doc-style interviews with real laid-off people (the best part of the movie, by far -- but lacking an organic connection to Bingham's story) into thinking they were seeing something with real relevance and meaning. Whoever pegged it as a movie with a "juvenile sense of seriousness" -- I couldn't agree more! George Clooney was, well... a very good... George Clooney. And the Vera Farmiga character, while impressive for awhile, was a big disappointment in the end -- the revelation/twist was so poorly done! A convenient, unbelievable fabrication obviously contrived so that Bingham could have his big "transformative moment." Slight problem: now we suddenly we have something else thrown on our plate to muddle the story even more: a truly unlikable, deceitful, screwed-up woman, masquerading around as some kind of male fantasy creature -- but who (as if this woman could even exist in the real world) is the most messed-up character in the movie by far (and that says a lot.) And what is Bingham's big enlightenment in the end: oh, that maybe this lifestyle he was so proud of is really kind of vapid & meaningless. But I'm going to keep on with my job of firing people (oh -- but with integrity! Not distantly over the internet!) -- because my story has nothing to do with a revelation about the meaning of THAT (as opposed to the Natalie's enlightenment, which at least found some way of connecting the story in a human way to the big, depressing picture of the economy and all the tragic lay-offs.) What a disappointment. Please don't let it win an Oscar! Expand
  19. MelanieS.
    Dec 26, 2009
    Enjoyed the movie, but felt it did not live up to the hype. Great performance by Clooney and supporting cast was good. Don't feel the movie should be an Oscar contender.
  20. PaulS.
    Dec 26, 2009
    Usually I trust the reviews/metascores on this site, but in this case I was sorely disappointed. The performances are pretty good but the story and characters are painfully generic. I went in expecting dark satire akin to American Beauty, but I got mostly generic romantic comedy crap.
  21. RichardF.
    Dec 27, 2009
    O.K. Why would a married women give the man she is screwing around with her home address..?!? And really.......wouldn't any of us call before we jumped on a plane to Chicago.......?!? The second half turned into stupid, manipulative Hollywood bullsh.......the wedding scene/reception went on way to long and was totally out of context.....the movie stayed real around the cold reality O.K. Why would a married women give the man she is screwing around with her home address..?!? And really.......wouldn't any of us call before we jumped on a plane to Chicago.......?!? The second half turned into stupid, manipulative Hollywood bullsh.......the wedding scene/reception went on way to long and was totally out of context.....the movie stayed real around the cold reality of losing one's job, but got sentimental and unrealistic when it came to getting married and "living happily ever after"........Oh, and the product placement was ridiculous......having Hertz, Hilton, and American Airlines crammed down my throat was so obvious and quite nauseating.......Please tell me we can do better..... Expand
  22. FranceL.
    Dec 28, 2009
    George Clooney's smooth presence is insufficient to overcome the meandering plot and stream of unsteady dialog. For every fine moment, there is a false one. I guess the critics who found this movie hugely entertaining must be smugly certain of their own job security.
  23. BrienC.
    Dec 31, 2009
    Decent movie but not great. Save your money and see it when it comes out on video.
  24. JeffS.
    Dec 5, 2009
    A good movie but not a great movie. The first half is smart and entertaining, while I felt the second half lost it's way.
  25. TomR.
    Dec 17, 2009
    How can we call a film with no true idea of what it is saying "era defining"?! This film is a cinematic rope-a-dope. It's saying "Hey look over here at these fantastic and attractive actors acting well but pay no attention to the fact that what the say and do doesn't add up or bring to light any clear statement or comment on anything." It's one thing to show a tragic trend How can we call a film with no true idea of what it is saying "era defining"?! This film is a cinematic rope-a-dope. It's saying "Hey look over here at these fantastic and attractive actors acting well but pay no attention to the fact that what the say and do doesn't add up or bring to light any clear statement or comment on anything." It's one thing to show a tragic trend in our culture (and kudos for taking it on) but when you don't really say anything about the why's or what to do's of that trend while acting like you have, that's where I have a problem with you. The emperor has no clothes. Expand
  26. LindaL.
    Dec 24, 2009
    Clooney is good as his usual cad-with-a-heart-of-gold. The movie is smart and engaging. Yet I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me, especially after a twist that really alters our view of one of the characters. Don't need a film to tell me downsizing sucks, or that people who need people are the luckiest people in the world. Still, I give them credit for some laughs and Clooney is good as his usual cad-with-a-heart-of-gold. The movie is smart and engaging. Yet I'm not sure what it's trying to tell me, especially after a twist that really alters our view of one of the characters. Don't need a film to tell me downsizing sucks, or that people who need people are the luckiest people in the world. Still, I give them credit for some laughs and for not going for the easy resolution. Expand
  27. CindyC.
    Dec 24, 2009
    Every year in late December, Hollywood rolls out its designated Oscar Worthy Movie. Critics rave, name it to their Top 10 lists, and the film receives many nominations. It is only later, when the rest of us have the chance to see it, that we realize the film is overhyped and ordinary. This year, that film is "Up in the Air". The film boasts some strong individual performances, but the Every year in late December, Hollywood rolls out its designated Oscar Worthy Movie. Critics rave, name it to their Top 10 lists, and the film receives many nominations. It is only later, when the rest of us have the chance to see it, that we realize the film is overhyped and ordinary. This year, that film is "Up in the Air". The film boasts some strong individual performances, but the story was boring and predictable. Midway through the film, I was checking my watch and wondering when the film would end. Up in the Air: overrated. If you want to see great film-making, see Avatar or District 9 instead. Expand
  28. GuillermoP.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Up in the air is this years critical favorite but all I saw was a well acted, smartly written, good movie. It won't even make my top 10.
  29. HiredGun
    Dec 26, 2009
    Cute. But the wedding scene was poorly scripted. It was a necessary part of the movie but didn't hang together well. It brought the entire movie down.
  30. Mar 31, 2012
    A very boring film. The acting is overpraised so much that it is ridiculous. The critics are so wrong. Everything about it, had nothing new to offer. This movie even makes me more sick of George than I already am.
  31. Apr 20, 2013
    The movie's subtle thematic plot, at first, confuses and leaves the audience with a hollow, unfulfilled catharsis at the end.........................................
  32. Oct 28, 2014
    it's really a great movie except when Anna Kendrick cried when her boyfriend broke up with her via text it was obvious that she was trying to fake it.

1. It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.