7.4

1. Aug 27, 2010
    Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick) are breathtaking in their character roles, each carrying a sense of enigma affixed with their own goals and expectations for love and life, and as always each is compromised along the way. The relationship between Clooney and Farmiga has incredible chemistry, and Kendrick's conjunction of professionalism and idealism was handled perfectly (I smell Oscars here....) Though most of the dialogue is infused with the quick wit you can always expect from Reitman films, this movie is really one of the most devastating and heavy films of the year. It perfectly embodies the journey of middle-age angst just as 'Juno' represented the indifference of smart-ass teenagers, but like 'Juno', it may appeal more to the age group it is depicting. Expand
  2. Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging.

There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed
    in an orderly and point my eye, but not random gossip on a man. This man, able to defend themselves from the threat of a nature that loves to challenge those who dream and strives to make real and concrete objects of their desire, is ready for anything. Throughout his life, sooner or later happen to face painful events. The death of a loved one, our dog, a love story ended, a financial investment bankruptcy, dismissal. Mr. Ryan is interested in layoffs. The dismissal, for the sufferer, it can cause serious, serious mental disorders. The pain caused by it, can turn into anxiety, existential closure too often, the next step and "extreme" is suicide. All these "inner beatings, mental" can be turned into disruptive forces in new psychic energy, in increasing self-esteem, desire to relive. Ryan Bingham (G. Clooney) offers his skills to those companies that have to lay off people. Travels the skies of the U.S.A. far and wide. Thousands talks "motivational" making, not to mention those covered. The plane is his first house and this house is tastefully furnished and mentally occupied with pleasure. His travels take place in a frequent flyer program of American Airlines. Its status is excellent. The goal is that at heart is to reach ten million miles. Incredible ten million miles. Many people who meet during the various movements. One of them, Alex (Vera Farmiga), fascinates him, trapping him, his travels thus become a bit 'less instrumental and a bit' more human. A relationship develops between the two. Third stage entrance. A young graduate, Natalie Keener (Anna Kendric) is supporting so vehemently, a project that allows her dismissal "from the ground" in the sense that, the unfortunate party, sitting in front of the monitor gets the sack over the internet. Ryan is forced to return home. Witnessing a demonstration and exposes all its perplexities. Miss Natalie claims that did not mind that this type of profession needs a "human linguistic semantics" and not "computerized management of human feelings." But you know, when you can save millions of dollars at the expense of the mental health ... do not think twice. Indeed, we do not think so. Ryan suggests to his boss to entrust Natalie, so will the "field" whether his theories deserve to be reviewed. Begins with Natalie unprecedented adventure, learn the rhythms and techniques of flight, initial approaches are not happy. The novel taste flyer on his body the marks they leave the informal words, without the bon-ton human relationships. The boyfriend download by SMS. I stop here to not remove the viewer the pleasure of discovery. ... The plot is nice and full bodied. Love, economic welfare, psychological and physical discomfort, maturity and youth, experience and novitiate, certainties and uncertainties, isolation and companionship, joy and sadness there is something for everyone. These themes are presented with such elegance and sobriety. Almost in a whisper. When you reach a goal achieved with sacrifice "flights" growing up. Whether this objective tell you that you have reached when you are "on" How do you feel? Ryan feels like the end of his journey? For miles routes, will add a few meters? Ulysses was a flyer, in a sense, returned to Ithaca, he finds his wife and son. Throughout his travels, he has never forgotten the ultimate goal. The return home. His house, his suffering, emotional stability. See, in conclusion, what he left. Its origins. Even Ryan there are traces of Odysseus. I think.

Welcome aboard and good trip.
  3. Sep 7, 2010
    Great movie. I was really pulling for Clooney to win the Oscar but I guess Jeff Bridges finally deserved one. I was pleasantly surprised by Anna Kendrick's performance. I had no idea that anyone from Twilight could actually act but she did a great job. In a way this was a very sad but real movie.
  4. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  5. Sep 1, 2010
    Up in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of the clouds,cities,and course the entire cast. The story is very interesting way that you see Clooney was traveling to each airport and tells the perfect story about his life that he do all day for working on the company that he fires to everyone in their jobs. I really love this movie of all time and one of the best 2009 films ever! And one of my favorite films in my decade of 2000's. Expand
  6. Feb 6, 2012
    Up in the Air was one of the best movies of 2009. George Clooney gave a great performance and the movie was funny and heartwarming. It managed to do what most movies can't do. Feel real.
  7. Nov 18, 2010
    The best movie of 2009. The characters and events in the film are fairly different from those in the book by Walter Kirn, but I enjoyed both. The main and supporting actors performed really well. Anna Kendrick showed how great she can be. Jason Reitman keeps improving as a director besting Juno, which bested Thank You For Smoking. Great satire.
  8. Nov 26, 2010
    A very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, other actors/actress weren't too bad either. The film generally does well to depict the story of a corporate business expert and maybe a child prodigy, which is a pretty unique experience. This is not a very fast paced film but not too slow and boring either. It is very enjoyable if you have the time to sit back and relax. Probably not suited for people with a small attention span or lack of intelligence. I'd give it 8/10 just put 10 to boost the score as it doesn't reflect how good the film is atm. :P Expand
  9. Jul 15, 2012
    Up in the Air is a fantastic piece of existential character study. Powered by a masterful performance by George Clooney, the movie hits all the right notes before coming to a subtle yet wrenching conclusion. Excelling in all departments from directing to soundtrack, Up in the Air is a must see.
  10. Mar 15, 2011
    Up in the air was witty and funny. It's a story about a man who doesn't realize how lonely he really his and how he changes as a person throughout the movie. Not to mention George Clooney was outstanding, he fit the role perfectly.
  11. May 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies. George Clooney is an amazing actor, and should have gotten the Oscar. In fact, this movie should have gotten the Oscar over the Hurt Locker. It's such a beautiful look into what love and relationships are, without taking a side either way.
  12. Jun 13, 2011
    A mature comedy-drama for adults with a really neat twist at the end. All the principle actors are really fine and the direction is right on, with a first rate screenplay and dialog. One of my favorites and one of George Clooney's best.
  13. Oct 9, 2011
    Up in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forced and disconnected to the main plot but its only a minor gripe. Up In The Air is great and a must see. Highly recommended. Expand
  14. Dec 27, 2011
    "Up In The Air" One Line Review! "A-"

Extremely timely, thought provoking and emotional - And just when I thought they were going to wrap things up a little too neatly, BAM - I loved it, I think everyone would benefit from seeing it.
  15. CRL
    Jul 30, 2011
    Billed to me as a comedy, Up in the Air is much more than that. It's an emotionally moving and laugh-inducing drama with stellar acting from George Clooney. The premise is so sarcastically dry, as is Clooney's character, that by itself it invokes a few laughs. Add to that some surprisingly dark themes towards the ending and it becomes complete in every possible way.
  16. Mar 12, 2012
    I really liked this movie. Solid acting by the cast, An interesting plot, and overall its just a solid film that I really enjoyed watching. Im suprised that the fans dont like it more but hey, I guess its not for everyone. But to me, Its definently worth the watch.
  17. Aug 27, 2014
    Jason Reitman + George Clooney + Vera Farmiga + Anna Kendrick = cinematic perfection. Smart and bold. You know it's good when you begin to question your own life.
  18. Nov 15, 2012
    The best part of Up in the Air isn't the excellent performances or even the pitch-perfect script, it's how real the movie is, and that comes from Reitman's careful direction.
  19. Feb 24, 2013
    Just a terrific film! An honest picture of charming, but flawed, people. Perfectly acted by George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick. Brilliant script, brilliant film!
  20. Jan 6, 2013
    A great movie of a solitary life. Everything in this movie makes me sad and I find it beautiful. George Clooney is back again and he is amazing. The writing is sharp and witty with a fun story about what it's like in the modern society.
  21. Dec 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Slickly rendered and intelligently scripted, offering a deft mixture of comedy and pathos, "Up in the Air" is entertaining but also painstakingly grounded in reality, seamlessly entwining humor with an existentially bleak edge that this troubled era of downsizing and recession makes all the more meaningful and relevant.

As far as acting goes, the performances here are exceptional, and are largely what makes it work. J. K. Simmons and Steve Eastin are fantastic in their brief but brilliant cameos as fired employees; Amy Morton and Jason Bateman offer some good supporting work; and Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick deliver richly layered performances in their respective roles, Kendrick in particular. But George Clooney is the centerpiece of the film evoking Ryan Bingham with charisma and suave interlaced with loneliness, desperation and fear.

A fantastic view.

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.