7.4

1. RebeccaT
    Apr 18, 2010
    I loved this movie. Ryan's character is so much like myself. That's not the reason I love it, it's just a very well-put together film. =)
  2. Dec 25, 2010
    A really entertaining, good film that definitely make you wonder about the American lifestyle and how good and rewarding (or unrewarding) it actually is. With great direction, screenplay and some really good performances, "Up in the Air" manages to make one laugh as well as feel the desperation of Clooney's character. Definitely a film worth watching!
  3. Aug 27, 2010
    Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney,Jason Reitman's tale of corporate downsizing is bound to strike a chord with moviegoers in our modern recession and was released at the perfect time. However, unlike most topical films, which tend to slide into obscurity after their time in the limelight, I feel 'Up in the Air' will be remembered as a timeless classic which can really reach out to anyone. All three leads (George Clooney, Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick) are breathtaking in their character roles, each carrying a sense of enigma affixed with their own goals and expectations for love and life, and as always each is compromised along the way. The relationship between Clooney and Farmiga has incredible chemistry, and Kendrick's conjunction of professionalism and idealism was handled perfectly (I smell Oscars here....) Though most of the dialogue is infused with the quick wit you can always expect from Reitman films, this movie is really one of the most devastating and heavy films of the year. It perfectly embodies the journey of middle-age angst just as 'Juno' represented the indifference of smart-ass teenagers, but like 'Juno', it may appeal more to the age group it is depicting. Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2010
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging. There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed
    Sorry for the traslation, is mechanical.

Sense of belonging.

There is a man who can rightfully share the record with the eagle winged space. This man is accustomed to "take flight". What can it mean, "take flight". Travel with your mind? Going straight down the stairs? Seek freedom? Or ... escape, disappear, vanish? Or maybe, and why not, a call to the enterprise? I try to proceed in an orderly and point my eye, but not random gossip on a man. This man, able to defend themselves from the threat of a nature that loves to challenge those who dream and strives to make real and concrete objects of their desire, is ready for anything. Throughout his life, sooner or later happen to face painful events. The death of a loved one, our dog, a love story ended, a financial investment bankruptcy, dismissal. Mr. Ryan is interested in layoffs. The dismissal, for the sufferer, it can cause serious, serious mental disorders. The pain caused by it, can turn into anxiety, existential closure too often, the next step and "extreme" is suicide. All these "inner beatings, mental" can be turned into disruptive forces in new psychic energy, in increasing self-esteem, desire to relive. Ryan Bingham (G. Clooney) offers his skills to those companies that have to lay off people. Travels the skies of the U.S.A. far and wide. Thousands talks "motivational" making, not to mention those covered. The plane is his first house and this house is tastefully furnished and mentally occupied with pleasure. His travels take place in a frequent flyer program of American Airlines. Its status is excellent. The goal is that at heart is to reach ten million miles. Incredible ten million miles. Many people who meet during the various movements. One of them, Alex (Vera Farmiga), fascinates him, trapping him, his travels thus become a bit 'less instrumental and a bit' more human. A relationship develops between the two. Third stage entrance. A young graduate, Natalie Keener (Anna Kendric) is supporting so vehemently, a project that allows her dismissal "from the ground" in the sense that, the unfortunate party, sitting in front of the monitor gets the sack over the internet. Ryan is forced to return home. Witnessing a demonstration and exposes all its perplexities. Miss Natalie claims that did not mind that this type of profession needs a "human linguistic semantics" and not "computerized management of human feelings." But you know, when you can save millions of dollars at the expense of the mental health ... do not think twice. Indeed, we do not think so. Ryan suggests to his boss to entrust Natalie, so will the "field" whether his theories deserve to be reviewed. Begins with Natalie unprecedented adventure, learn the rhythms and techniques of flight, initial approaches are not happy. The novel taste flyer on his body the marks they leave the informal words, without the bon-ton human relationships. The boyfriend download by SMS. I stop here to not remove the viewer the pleasure of discovery. ... The plot is nice and full bodied. Love, economic welfare, psychological and physical discomfort, maturity and youth, experience and novitiate, certainties and uncertainties, isolation and companionship, joy and sadness there is something for everyone. These themes are presented with such elegance and sobriety. Almost in a whisper. When you reach a goal achieved with sacrifice "flights" growing up. Whether this objective tell you that you have reached when you are "on" How do you feel? Ryan feels like the end of his journey? For miles routes, will add a few meters? Ulysses was a flyer, in a sense, returned to Ithaca, he finds his wife and son. Throughout his travels, he has never forgotten the ultimate goal. The return home. His house, his suffering, emotional stability. See, in conclusion, what he left. Its origins. Even Ryan there are traces of Odysseus. I think.

Welcome aboard and good trip.
  5. Sep 2, 2010
    Generally funny, and heartwarming. Up in the Air proves to be Jason Reitman's best since Juno. George Clooney is brilliant as the cut-throat businessman being grounded by his company, while his co-stars Farmiga and Kendrick are also outstanding. The story was definitely interesting and proves to be one of the best films of last year.
  6. Sep 7, 2010
    Great movie. I was really pulling for Clooney to win the Oscar but I guess Jeff Bridges finally deserved one. I was pleasantly surprised by Anna Kendrick's performance. I had no idea that anyone from Twilight could actually act but she did a great job. In a way this was a very sad but real movie.
  7. Sep 19, 2010
    One of the best new movies I've seen in a long time. It met all my expectations. With the charm and comedic sensibilities of Broadcast News, the brutal realism of Glengarry Glen Ross and the humanity of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, this movie is a must-see.
  8. Mar 16, 2012
    One of my favorite films ever, is amazing, incedible, emotive. And the better... the cast, Anna Kendrick, Vera Farmiga, George Clooney, are amazing. The story can be sad, but the film is fantastic. Up in the Air is a classic.
  9. Sep 15, 2011
    What "Up in the Air" wants us to do is not to watch in boredom equipped with popcorn, but to understand the emotion and the characters the movie has to present to us.
  10. May 21, 2011
    This is one of my favorite movies. George Clooney is an amazing actor, and should have gotten the Oscar. In fact, this movie should have gotten the Oscar over the Hurt Locker. It's such a beautiful look into what love and relationships are, without taking a side either way.
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    The best part of Up in the Air isn't the excellent performances or even the pitch-perfect script, it's how real the movie is, and that comes from Reitman's careful direction.
  12. SaraJ.
    Feb 4, 2010
    This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically This film was entertaining - it kept me completely engaged until the end, BUT... I was so disappointed by the ending. It felt as though the film was viewed by a 'test audience' and the George Clooney character was required to suffer for disconnected lifestyle and thus became cliche. For me, it was a shame that the mid American character had to become -well... so stereotypically mid-American. Expand
  13. BobN
    Jan 6, 2010
    Relatively few films capture the zeitgeist of an age, or even a brief moment in time. This film does. There is an existential doubt, a grim nihilism floating in the background, as well as a hope for better things present throughout this film. How many films achieve that? Hardly any. Fantastic film that has incredible depth below the surface. It reminds me of Garden State, but for grown Relatively few films capture the zeitgeist of an age, or even a brief moment in time. This film does. There is an existential doubt, a grim nihilism floating in the background, as well as a hope for better things present throughout this film. How many films achieve that? Hardly any. Fantastic film that has incredible depth below the surface. It reminds me of Garden State, but for grown ups. If the film would have worked out perfectly, or happy, then it would have sucked. The fact that things are left messy, disordered, yet still hope remains for something in the future...that alone makes this a fantastic film. I don't give a flying crap about awards, or even mentioning if the actors did an amazing job...actors get paid to act...that IS their job. The question is: does the film capture something special. Answer: Yes, this film captures much that is NOW. Expand
  14. TonyB
    Feb 8, 2010
    George Clooney, thanks to an absence of his frequent irritatingly cutesy charm, gives as good a performance as he did in "The Perfect Storm." With considerable help from Vera Farmiga and Anna Hendrik, this turns out to be one of 2009's better films.'
  15. MitchC
    Jan 13, 2010
    This is an adult movie, watching the pains and seductions of now without blinking. It's a romance, a comedy and a tragedy, on point at every moment. The concept is straight out of the existential mindset: life is absurd, and its absence of coherence and reliable meaning is a void at the edge of even the most upbeat moment. We see the stark, documentary-style suffering of people This is an adult movie, watching the pains and seductions of now without blinking. It's a romance, a comedy and a tragedy, on point at every moment. The concept is straight out of the existential mindset: life is absurd, and its absence of coherence and reliable meaning is a void at the edge of even the most upbeat moment. We see the stark, documentary-style suffering of people suddenly fired and cut loose from their moorings for no good reason, intercut with scenes of delight in the mating ritual of practiced pleasure seekers, circled by everybody's inescapable isolation and amplified by a young woman's confusion at the unspooling of values in these modern times. Contrasts: The writing is witty in the telling of somber events; penetrating observation is conveyed in the idiom of farce; an ugly business is packaged as a nimble growth industry. Clooney's acting is spotless and his luminous leading lady stays with him step for step like Ginger Rogers with Fred Astaire. The nerdy young woman who accompanies them is a full equal partner. This is sociology, philosophy and entertainment wrapped tightly together in a package you don't want to let go of. Expand
  16. kgm
    Jan 16, 2010
    Clooney does his role well, very well, in this enjoyable mature movie. It
  17. AhmedA
    Jan 18, 2010
    im a single man and a lot of the time at my job i have to break the bad news to clients about stuff that's really beyond my control. Makes me feel like the meat in the sandwich. looking at Clooney in this movie, it was like i was looking at myself.
  18. markj
    Jan 18, 2010
    "Up in the Air" is a nuanced, grown-up romantic comedy that is firmly rooted in the what-is, not the make-believe. Anyone who has spent any time in an airport lounge, dined on rubber steaks in hotel restaurants, crashed another company's pep rally party, charged a cable movie to an expense account, kept a suitcase on the living room floor and not in the closet or been downsized will "Up in the Air" is a nuanced, grown-up romantic comedy that is firmly rooted in the what-is, not the make-believe. Anyone who has spent any time in an airport lounge, dined on rubber steaks in hotel restaurants, crashed another company's pep rally party, charged a cable movie to an expense account, kept a suitcase on the living room floor and not in the closet or been downsized will get it. George Clooney gives a superb and subtle performance that is certain to be overlooked by those handing out awards. Mark J. Expand
  19. Sandy
    Jan 23, 2010
    Laugh-out-loud funny in places, good playing from the leads, gorgeous formailty in the photography, witty script, human characters, with an ending that, whilst a bit fuzzy, does not draw obvious conclusions. Some here obviously missed the point that 'traditional values' are no more preferable than 'modern life.' What matters is not marriage and family life, but Laugh-out-loud funny in places, good playing from the leads, gorgeous formailty in the photography, witty script, human characters, with an ending that, whilst a bit fuzzy, does not draw obvious conclusions. Some here obviously missed the point that 'traditional values' are no more preferable than 'modern life.' What matters is not marriage and family life, but 'only connect.' Expand
  20. JamesD
    Jan 25, 2010
    Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film Up in the Air is a very realistic interpretation of reality. I find that George Clooney's character in this film was one for having an elegant way of life that few dare choose. I thought that the narration and the early part of the film really dragged me into the narrative. The only subtle weakness is that it does drag on a bit but I thought the messages and values that the film presents are quite endearing to the purpose of life. Expand
  21. MarkH
    Jan 4, 2010
    An excellent movie! Witty comedy by Clooney, Anna Kendrick plays the millenial role to a T, and Vera Farmiga's sexy character propel this movie to the heights of a streamliner. I am 27 and can appreciate the late30's/early 40's middle age dilemma's and drama. Really enjoyed this movie, saw it twice and will buy the DVD.
  22. BenS.
    Jan 5, 2010
    it is utterly humorous why people dislike this movie. it falls apart in the final act? this is clearly the film's defining point - where it disregards convention and presents a more believable, un-manipulated, and impacting scenario. you want something to *happen*? oh, so like, you wanted them to hook over a montage of popular music? how about a few explosions while we're at it. it is utterly humorous why people dislike this movie. it falls apart in the final act? this is clearly the film's defining point - where it disregards convention and presents a more believable, un-manipulated, and impacting scenario. you want something to *happen*? oh, so like, you wanted them to hook over a montage of popular music? how about a few explosions while we're at it. clooney did the right thing by wanting to make a change in his life. unfortunately, what we want doesn't always come easy or instantaneously. "up in the air" acknowledges that. Expand
  23. EvinC.
    Jan 5, 2010
    Such a great dramedy! Everyone who was cast was awesome. I'm in love with Anna Kendrick, the beautiful actress is going to have such a great career in the future. Clooney, Farmiga, Bateman, and Jones were just so wonderful. Jason Reitman is his father's son. So satisfying.
  24. MrX
    Jan 8, 2010
    As someone who was in a high-stress corporate job, glued to my office blackberry, and flying around to cheesy tech conventions where I had relations with other people I kept running into at said conventions from other companies. . . . UNTIL I was laid off in a massive corporate downsizing fueled by the economic downturn. . . I can tell you all that this film nails so many different As someone who was in a high-stress corporate job, glued to my office blackberry, and flying around to cheesy tech conventions where I had relations with other people I kept running into at said conventions from other companies. . . . UNTIL I was laid off in a massive corporate downsizing fueled by the economic downturn. . . I can tell you all that this film nails so many different aspects of a very common, yet rarely dramatized, lifestyle in ways I would never have imagined. For me, personally, the film was a very cathartic and riveting affair. It was a marvelous and moving experience. . . for ME, the guy who got a small taste of absolutely everything the movie is depicts. THAT being said, I haven't recommended it to any friends whose life experience doesn't overlap those in the film. . . . as I'd imagine the events and characters could seem a bit arbitrary, self important, cold and un-engaging if you haven't seen everything on screen play out in real life in exactly the same way. If you're going into this movie expecting lots of laughs, high-energy quirk, riveting drama, a clockwork-clever plot, or all of the above . . you'll probably hate every second. I didn't like "Brite Star", but that's mainly because I don't like Romantic Era poetry. . . . if you don't have an interest in the absurd realities of corporate downsizing and blackberries'n'powerpoint culture, then don't see a movie about it. . . no matter how much you love George Clooney. Expand
  25. SusanS
    Feb 1, 2010
    this film has been billed as a comedy, it is not funny. It is a thought provoking, sad film. All the main characters are brilliantly portrayed, it is a great film and I was very sad that there were so few people watching it with me.
  26. AndrewG.
    Feb 6, 2010
    My pick for the best film of the year. Reitman's screenplay is easily this year's finest and the movie itself is the best acted of the year too.
  27. CarolP.
    Feb 8, 2010
    After reading these reviews, I'm realize that even less people have good taste then I thought. This movie had a fantastic underlying meaning and was very well-cast. The plot was very original as well, and my only complaint would be that it was weak in certain scenes (ex. the wedding scene).
  28. PaulF.
    Feb 9, 2010
    Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish Let me begin by saying this movie was much better than expected. It had a slow average beginning which ramped up into almost a comedy and became much more heart felt and introspective by the end of the movie. The worst aspects of the movie were the terribly unconvincing crying scene of his female co-worker and the incessant advertising by the hotel, air, car companies. I really wish they'd stop doing this as it vastly cheapens the movie. The best parts of the movie were a couple of funny scenes and the introspective and somewhat surprise of an ending. Don't mistake this as a feel good movie. It at times almost feels that way but in the end you can feel ultimately what Clune's character felt, loneliness. Expand
  29. JamesH
    Mar 9, 2010
    What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as What a wonderful film, great characterizations and excellent performances from everyone, especially Anna Kendrick. She was awesome. J.K. Simmons does an amazing job in a scene that is only a few minutes long.Excellent score, so well photographed. The direction is so controlled, excellent vision of the finished product and the development of the story to that point. It is funny as well as touching, the pacing is perfect. Very memorable. Expand
  30. RyanM.
    Mar 9, 2010
    A thought provoking piece that is reflective and humorous at times. Clooney and the main characters are outstanding and have undeniable chemistry. Though the end of the film may not leave with resolve, it may leave you with loneliness and sadness.
  31. CaroleG.
    Dec 27, 2009
    Easy to watch, especially because of Clooney, who's pitch perfect here,, although there's nothing genuine in the story.
  32. NealC
    Jan 10, 2010
    Great film! Stretched believability in parts, but age has shown me that what's often unbelievable can later be explained by a lack of experience. I suspect that the people who couldn't enjoy the film are uncomfortable with the subject matter and have their own disappointments and insecurities to deal with. If this movie brought that out, I say it's a job well done.
  33. ChaseM
    Jan 12, 2010
    Up In The Air was a great story. I was relieved that it did not follow a predictable story line. It's one of those movies that make you think about your own life.
  34. MikeG.
    Jan 16, 2010
    What a difficult movie to grade. Everything was done "right": the performances were magnificent (though it's Anna Kendrick, not George Clooney, who delivers the best performance), the jokes were funny, and the characters and story were propped up by an extremely strong script. The problem the movie had is that it delivered an interesting, compelling story in the first two thirds of What a difficult movie to grade. Everything was done "right": the performances were magnificent (though it's Anna Kendrick, not George Clooney, who delivers the best performance), the jokes were funny, and the characters and story were propped up by an extremely strong script. The problem the movie had is that it delivered an interesting, compelling story in the first two thirds of the movie before falling back on conventional Hollywood narrative for the last third. For a movie this well written, you can't quite call it treacle, but for a movie that was shooting for such lofty heights, it felt like a swing and a miss. There's a lot of critical love for Up in the Air, but in the end there's something missing from this package. What starts as an intriguing look into the construct of what makes for a "good" life goes off the rails and becomes nothing more than the usual moralizing about how there is a right way and a wrong way to live. Don't be fooled by what some are calling an "unconventional" ending. The movie isn't a masterpiece because the ending insists on winners and losers instead of allowing for the gray areas that were apparent throughout most of the film. Expand
  35. xerxes
    Jan 19, 2010
    What a great film i hope it wins best picture or any other film besides avatar because that film was so average they act like its the best film of all times, my goodness up in the air is way better.
  36. AntonisZ.
    Jan 19, 2010
    A really wonderful film, one of the best of 2009!
  37. LarsR
    Jan 2, 2010
    Near flawless movie. Clooney/Farmiga is as close to Tracey/Hepburn as one could hope for.
  38. MichaelH
    Jan 21, 2010
    Up in the Air probably won't win the big awards but it is very poignant and in most parts beautiful meditation on mid-corporate life and as another commenter says here loneliness. The plot is beautifully constructed, the acting generally excellent. I have two criticisms: 1) the transitions between the serious and the comical parts of the movie were sometimes a little awkward..I feel Up in the Air probably won't win the big awards but it is very poignant and in most parts beautiful meditation on mid-corporate life and as another commenter says here loneliness. The plot is beautifully constructed, the acting generally excellent. I have two criticisms: 1) the transitions between the serious and the comical parts of the movie were sometimes a little awkward..I feel Reitman could have given his actors better direction at these points. 2) The song "Up in the Air" that rolls at the very end of the credits should have been placed within the movie. The song is amazingly poignant and fits beautifully with the theme of the movie. Expand
  39. MelissaE
    Jan 2, 2010
    Very witty and wonderfully acted. Clooney never disappoints.
  40. B.R
    Jan 23, 2010
    Finally an intelligent movie with a star I respect delivering an engaging story that has
  41. roberti
    Jan 24, 2010
    Oddly vacant, overpraised social comedy of contemporary manners.
  42. WaldoJ.
    Jan 26, 2010
    If you haven't seen the film and are wondering whether to trust the 83/100 critic rating or the 6.6/10 user rating, trust the critic rating in this case. The film is truly excellent: wonderful performances from the three leads, a great script, with biting dialogue, a stunningly relevant plot, and filled with witty and heartbreaking moments. Subtly moving, this great film is a must If you haven't seen the film and are wondering whether to trust the 83/100 critic rating or the 6.6/10 user rating, trust the critic rating in this case. The film is truly excellent: wonderful performances from the three leads, a great script, with biting dialogue, a stunningly relevant plot, and filled with witty and heartbreaking moments. Subtly moving, this great film is a must see, and is a vast improvement over director Jason Reitman's first two films, Thank You For Smoking and the overrated Juno. Expand
  43. Sausage
    Jan 27, 2010
    Its Like a polished ping pong ball...slick and light skipping along at a great bouncy pace. Once dissected however, its filled with nothing more than forgettable air!!!
  44. GrantP.
    Jan 28, 2010
    A surprising amount of people didn't like this movie. After reading these reviews, it seems like these are the kind of people that don't give a damn about the meaning behind it.
  45. JasonM.
    Jan 4, 2010
    I'd like to address the first user review by Agnes. First of all, critics are not "bought and paid for", whatever that even means. Some of them are, but most are truly neutral and not any more biased than the rest of us. Second, this was not universally panned by the "movie going public". I loved it and everyone I know who has seen it enjoyed it as well. I don't know what you I'd like to address the first user review by Agnes. First of all, critics are not "bought and paid for", whatever that even means. Some of them are, but most are truly neutral and not any more biased than the rest of us. Second, this was not universally panned by the "movie going public". I loved it and everyone I know who has seen it enjoyed it as well. I don't know what you saw with the casting, but I saw three of the finest performances of the year. Expand
  46. AlexK
    Jan 4, 2010
    This is a fantastic film! the acting is great. this is the kind of movie that you can watch over and over again because it has depth.
  47. BobW
    Jan 6, 2010
    Intelligent, beautifully written, provocative,,,a treat for the adult mind.
  48. RobA
    Jan 6, 2010
    Up in the Air is a movie about loneliness. Granted, it masks itself as a film about corporate culture, the troubled economy, and following your dream. In the end though, what makes Clooney
  49. NicholasM
    Jan 6, 2010
    Absolutely incredible, one of my favorite films of the year, consistently hilarious, life affirming, and heartbreaking. Jason Reitman has crafted a film that captures our era the way Frank Capra captured his.
  50. ChristianD
    Jan 7, 2010
    A great movie with great performances by the cast. Especially Clooney. It was sad at the end, but overall I think it fits the realism of the entire movie.
  51. AdamE
    Jan 7, 2010
    The film was outstanding and a lot of the negative comments on here are outlandish. The film literally is up in the air, going over a lot of peoples heads. For those who got it, like myself, we are damn lucky.
  52. RickA
    Jan 8, 2010
    I thought it was a very good movie. It could be for the feel good ending missing it may have been lacking for some movie goers, none the less acting was very good and story line mostly good, but It was some what unique making it a "for entertainment only movie" and that is why I go the the movies any way.
  53. m1
    Feb 13, 2010
    For anyone who walked out around the 30 minute mark: you have just missed a wonderful cinematic achievement. George Clooney was TERRIFIC in the role (I don't know what performance you watched when critiquing him). How this only has a user average of 6.7 as of now is beyond me. AND yes, there WAS character development. The characters were built upon as the movie progressed. My For anyone who walked out around the 30 minute mark: you have just missed a wonderful cinematic achievement. George Clooney was TERRIFIC in the role (I don't know what performance you watched when critiquing him). How this only has a user average of 6.7 as of now is beyond me. AND yes, there WAS character development. The characters were built upon as the movie progressed. My favorite scene was toward the middle where the three stars enjoy a drink while bantering about love, and then crash a party. The end is arguably dispiriting. However, this is the best Academy Award contender since UP and a superior film to the entertaining but slightly overpraised Avatar. Expand
  54. KaseyS.
    Feb 15, 2010
    To say this is the best movie of the year is to minimize what it is and what it does. There are so many good things about this movie that it is difficult to begin a list. The actors are phenomenal. The story is told in a unique (in today's world) voice that focuses on the effects that certain events have on the characters, not the other way around. It's hysterical, To say this is the best movie of the year is to minimize what it is and what it does. There are so many good things about this movie that it is difficult to begin a list. The actors are phenomenal. The story is told in a unique (in today's world) voice that focuses on the effects that certain events have on the characters, not the other way around. It's hysterical, heartbreaking, and, for most professionals sitting in the audience, haunting. It's so frighteningly on point, that you will not shake the movie for months. Very powerful. Very good filmmaking. Expand
  55. EggyG
    Feb 15, 2010
    Perfect movie for this time of crisis. Amazingly portray in really brilliant way some of the hard issues in life. George Clooney was perfect...totally cool & charming but with depth. Great cast, music & directing. Just perfect!
  56. BrianM.
    Feb 16, 2010
    Like most movies that receive loads of critical praise, Up in the Air doesn't live up to expectations. But if you can put aside the gushing reviews and view the movie with an open mind, what you'll find is a genuinely smart and entertaining comedy that deals with a familiar theme: that life is more fulfilling when you have people that you care about to share it with.
  57. PFinlay
    Feb 21, 2010
    A really nice film! Not trying to reinvent cinema or trying to blow up the white house, just simply telling a fantastic story and telling it well through excellent acting!
  58. A.E.
    Feb 21, 2010
    Clever film that I could easily relate to--great character development and good acting. Glad to see that "flyover" territory gets some respect.
  59. KaariJ
    Feb 23, 2010
    Excellent movie. I think those not liking it cannot relate to the flying for business. For those of us that do, this movie resonates in so many levels.
  60. TomD
    Feb 3, 2010
    Are you guys serious? This movie was effortlessly funny and dramatic without become to sentimental or ribald. The writing was smart and clever. Clooney was at his finest; Anna Kendrick was terrific as the twenty-someting out to change the world; Vera Farmiga was seductive and beautiful in her role as well. Great movie!
  61. LaureO.
    Feb 6, 2010
    Nice, clever, pleasant, a few tears... A good one that you may not remember in a year, but actors play well and it is well done. I recommend for a "no brainer" night.
  62. Brett
    Feb 7, 2010
    Love movies that make you look at your life. Yes the movie is smug, but the key message is 'look at your life, in how many of your favorite moments were you alone?'. If your favorite movie of the year was Transformers 2, you should probably not consider seeing this, as you will deem it 'overhyped', if you on the other hand have a few brain cells, you should enjoy it in Love movies that make you look at your life. Yes the movie is smug, but the key message is 'look at your life, in how many of your favorite moments were you alone?'. If your favorite movie of the year was Transformers 2, you should probably not consider seeing this, as you will deem it 'overhyped', if you on the other hand have a few brain cells, you should enjoy it in some fashion. Expand
  63. Oldyag
    Feb 7, 2010
    How can you not say that is good? You fleas fail to see that it has got nothing to do with down sizing or Clooneys job and he doesn't have an epiphany at the end and realise that he would be happier with someone else. Its about how men have affairs with integrity whereas women do it heartlessly. If she had of said she was married, he wouldn't have cared. No moralising necessary, How can you not say that is good? You fleas fail to see that it has got nothing to do with down sizing or Clooneys job and he doesn't have an epiphany at the end and realise that he would be happier with someone else. Its about how men have affairs with integrity whereas women do it heartlessly. If she had of said she was married, he wouldn't have cared. No moralising necessary, but she wanted to build farken snowmen and go to his sisters wedding. WHYYYYYYYY? Steve S, 'The Book of Eli' is pure dross!!! Stop going to the movies and stick your head in a bucket of sand. Expand
  64. eliasc
    Mar 16, 2010
    'Up in the Air' is one of those multi-layered films that define good direction, great scriptwriting, and superb acting. I was amazed recently when I talked to a person who saw the film and thought it was about a corporate quest for the 10 million dollar airline frequent flyer card. Here was an adult with the mind of a teen who could not see beyond surface plot lines and did not 'Up in the Air' is one of those multi-layered films that define good direction, great scriptwriting, and superb acting. I was amazed recently when I talked to a person who saw the film and thought it was about a corporate quest for the 10 million dollar airline frequent flyer card. Here was an adult with the mind of a teen who could not see beyond surface plot lines and did not understand that the film was about a wasted life, and did not have a clue that the title 'Up in the Air' had a double meaning as well. The only fault I had with this film was after you realize what the film was really about after about 30 minutes, the coming resolutions were obvious. Or was it only I who realized that in the scene with Anna Kendrick, George Clooney, and Vera Farminga in which Vera's character talks about her goals to soothe Anna being dumped by her boyfriend, that she was really talking about herself; her real life. And as empty as George Clooney's character was, Vera Farminga's character was a whole lot worse. A great film by a director to watch. Expand
  65. ChadS.
    Dec 23, 2009
    An expression of astonishment comes across Alex's face upon learning from the horse's mouth that Ryan(George Clooney) was a jock in high school, a basketball player good enough to be immortalized in the trophy case. We're amazed too, probably for the same reason as this sexy, vibrant, thirtysomething woman, who probably pegged her new friend as a loner, back in the day. But An expression of astonishment comes across Alex's face upon learning from the horse's mouth that Ryan(George Clooney) was a jock in high school, a basketball player good enough to be immortalized in the trophy case. We're amazed too, probably for the same reason as this sexy, vibrant, thirtysomething woman, who probably pegged her new friend as a loner, back in the day. But no, Ryan was part of the mainstream, which makes his current persona ever the more enigmatic. What chain of events helped turn Ryan Bingham, star point guard, into Ryan Bingham, misanthrope, a man who gets off on firing people? Natalie(Anna Kendrick), his protege, ended up in this industry due to the circumstances of her love life; she followed a boy to Omaha. Consequently, the boy dumps her, and in the film's pivotal scene, Natalie makes a spectacle of herself in the hotel lobby. When Ryan says, "It happens," he's speaking from personal experience; his profession pertains to having an axe to grind with some woman in the past. He's like a Neal LaBute protagonist: Aaron Eckhart from "In the Company of Men". Both men eviscerate people's lives as compensation for their broken hearts. Ryan, however, has a shred of humanity, which starts to grow exponentially as he consoles Natalie in a halfway sincere clinch. It forces this impersonal man to become personal. Being there for somebody in pain spells the beginning of the end for his positive outlook on living an intimacy-free life. Holding Anna, he experiences something akin to fatherhood. It's only a matter of time before he starts seeing Alex(Vera Farmiga), his friend with benefits, as wife material. Love can do that. Expand
  66. PaulBruhn
    Dec 25, 2009
    Just really well done in every respect - one of the very best in a while.
  67. StevenC.
    Dec 5, 2009
    Start with a good script, with a timely theme, add good acting and good direction and you've got a top film. Great chemistry, surprising turns and a tragicomedy worth seeing.
  68. Dave
    Dec 8, 2009
    Definitely one of the best of the year, Clooney and Farmiga were both fantastic. On a side note, does Keith Uhlich ever give a good review to anything!!?? Just a quick check, he gave 40 to this, An Education, Bright Star and Precious. Oh, he did manage to gove Fantastic Mr.Fox a 60 though, how generous!
  69. MattK.
    Dec 9, 2009
    The less you know about this movie before you see it, the better your experience will be. This film masterfully utilizes its assets (Clooney, its relevance, sleek presentation and somewhat unique subtext) to build up a good movie and then transcend the normal parameters of its genre.
  70. SeanE
    Jan 18, 2010
    This is really an excellent film - have seen it 3 times - and can only find one small problem with the story (it has to do with Alex - and the behavior of Player-type personalities - so I would really give the film a 9.75 grade). The film is spot-on placing the personalities within the larger context of their roles in society - and demonstrates that we have much work to do to start caring This is really an excellent film - have seen it 3 times - and can only find one small problem with the story (it has to do with Alex - and the behavior of Player-type personalities - so I would really give the film a 9.75 grade). The film is spot-on placing the personalities within the larger context of their roles in society - and demonstrates that we have much work to do to start caring about one another again. It's funny/sad/real and makes a statement. See this film - you won't be sorry. Expand
  71. LisaB
    Jan 18, 2010
    Best movie I have seen this year. It was awesome, real, dark, painful, and beautiful. Just like real life.
  72. AbhitB
    Jan 22, 2010
    The best film I've seen in a year. The storytelling and development of George Clooney's character is truly expertly done, in a way that's both believable and emotional
  73. DavidG.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Every thing about this movie was amazing. The things that really standout are the script and George Clooney. The script is witty and funny. It has just the right doses of comedy and realism. It is depressing and funny at the same time. I'm not a big fan of George Clooney, but this was his best role. He did a fantastic job. He should win the Academy Award for best Actor. He should of Every thing about this movie was amazing. The things that really standout are the script and George Clooney. The script is witty and funny. It has just the right doses of comedy and realism. It is depressing and funny at the same time. I'm not a big fan of George Clooney, but this was his best role. He did a fantastic job. He should win the Academy Award for best Actor. He should of won the Golden Globe for acting, but was robbed because Jeff Bridges actually did a decent job at acting. Expand
  74. CollinP
    Feb 11, 2010
    The genius of this film lies in its duality. Yes, George Clooney's character is self-centered, irresponsible and at times shallow. But he also makes many good points about how we don't all have to follow one singular path. He chooses to live a life different from the mainstream, and while most people (understandably) may think this is a shallow decision, he's proving that The genius of this film lies in its duality. Yes, George Clooney's character is self-centered, irresponsible and at times shallow. But he also makes many good points about how we don't all have to follow one singular path. He chooses to live a life different from the mainstream, and while most people (understandably) may think this is a shallow decision, he's proving that we shouldn't feel like there's only one way we can "live" this life here on earth. Not everyone wants to have kids, get married, buy a house, and live a sedentary, domesticated life. Yet, all the while throughout the film (though obviously a bit contrived) he comes to see that it's maybe he himself who is narrow-minded about the way one should live their life (and that a human connection is likely one of the most fulfilling things we can accomplish). That's why I loved this movie. It allows you to take many different messages from it, without shoving one down your throat, right down to the harshly ambiguous ending. Easily top 5 of the year. Expand
  75. StanA
    Mar 23, 2010
    The best film of the year. Anna Kendrick is going to be huge. She simply invigorated every one of her scenes and was unforgettable. If you really hated this film then either the subject matter has no meaning for you - astonishing given the current economy - or you have absolutely no understanding of cinema . As for the guy who left after 30 minutes and then has the gall to tell us this The best film of the year. Anna Kendrick is going to be huge. She simply invigorated every one of her scenes and was unforgettable. If you really hated this film then either the subject matter has no meaning for you - astonishing given the current economy - or you have absolutely no understanding of cinema . As for the guy who left after 30 minutes and then has the gall to tell us this film was a train wreck, at least I read your entire review before I concluded that you're an idiot. Expand
  76. AndrewRosenthal
    Dec 19, 2009
    Movie was OK but a few trouble moments and never show why main character is the way he is
  77. SusanP.
    Dec 20, 2009
    It' s so refreshing to go to a movie and be totally entertained the entire time on a purely adult level. No guns, no bombs, no special effects, just exceptional acting. Bravo George Clooney!
  78. anned.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Couldn't be better. Clooney is natural yet complex, pacing is perfect. There isn't a weak performance.
  79. GabrielR.
    Dec 26, 2009
    Incredible performances by the leads and deftly done cameos by a nice assortment of familiar faces. A movie that actually comes along that means something in today's day and age and isn't 1-2 years late, like all wanna-be relevant movies usually end up being. Terrific stuff - funny, sad, meaningful.
  80. JamesH.
    Dec 28, 2009
    "Up In The Air" is a good film, but I don't understand all the Oscar buzz. It's not THAT good. There were moments of disbelief in the dialogue or actions of the characters for me, but they were brief and did not destroy the overall successes of the movie. All the acting is very good. The movie started a little slow then got legs and kept getting better. The ending was perfect.
  81. MatthewM.
    Dec 4, 2009
    In my opinion the best movie of the year, with Hurt Locker a very close second. I am not a huge fan of Reitman, but the writing, directing, and acting in this is incredible, not to mention the subtext of our culture, who we've become as people, and what we're doing to our uncles, aunts, fathers, and grandfathers. This film has humor, pain, joy, sadness, and moments of belief in In my opinion the best movie of the year, with Hurt Locker a very close second. I am not a huge fan of Reitman, but the writing, directing, and acting in this is incredible, not to mention the subtext of our culture, who we've become as people, and what we're doing to our uncles, aunts, fathers, and grandfathers. This film has humor, pain, joy, sadness, and moments of belief in love followed by deep existential loneliness. Amazing work, gonna see it again very soon. Expand
  82. NicholasF.
    Dec 5, 2009
    Beautiful, charismatic, charming, well-made, sharp-looking, era-defining, relevant, poignant, thoughtful, hard-hitting, did I mention beautiful. The scene with the wedding? That's really a killer. See it, now.
  83. Qwerty
    Dec 8, 2009
    This is a good one--almost, but not quite, in a class with The Hurt Locker. Clooney's not just a pretty face after all.
  84. EVANQ.
    Dec 16, 2009
    Very well done and 'different' in my opinion. I thought it was very genuine with the inclusion of real people who were fired and asked to speak to the camera as if it was their boss. Great story that pulls at the hearts strings and makes you think about your own life with a new perspective.
  85. MathewH.
    Dec 17, 2009
    Most together film I've seen in a while - thoughtful, funny and well-played. Clooney can be a little too smug to really relate to but he does a great job here, showing just enough cracks in his armor to be convincing. The two female leads hold their own against his charm, the three of them bouncing off one another with great comic timing, from a witty script. Visually it's Most together film I've seen in a while - thoughtful, funny and well-played. Clooney can be a little too smug to really relate to but he does a great job here, showing just enough cracks in his armor to be convincing. The two female leads hold their own against his charm, the three of them bouncing off one another with great comic timing, from a witty script. Visually it's stark, bland even sometimes, but that reflects the world these people live in. It's barely noticeable either way with the zing between the actors filling the screen. I think it might edge a little too much into sentimentality towards the end, not feeling quite so tight, but the overall effect is very enjoyable, and thought-provoking too with the topical subject matter. Highly recommended! Expand
  86. NicholasP.
    Dec 21, 2009
    Definitely the best movie of the year thus far. I went into the theater with pretty high expectations and actually got more than what I hoped for, the first time I can remember this happening. It's funny in a way that makes you smile more than laugh, it's happy, it's sad, it's emotional, unpredictable, depressing, fascinating and beautiful from one scene to the next. Definitely the best movie of the year thus far. I went into the theater with pretty high expectations and actually got more than what I hoped for, the first time I can remember this happening. It's funny in a way that makes you smile more than laugh, it's happy, it's sad, it's emotional, unpredictable, depressing, fascinating and beautiful from one scene to the next. Worth the trip to the movies, and you'll probably be willing to pay for a second screening. Expand
  87. MaxM>
    Dec 24, 2009
    One of my favorite movies of the year. The chemistry between the leads was proof that it is an important element. Anna Kendrick shows that she is one to watch.
  88. DickL.
    Dec 26, 2009
    Best movie oscar, best actor oscar, at least!
  89. Sep 1, 2010
    Up in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of theUp in the Air is a wonderful film that I've just seen two times already! George Clooney is one my favorite actors of all time and one of the coolest guys ever and he did really good on his performance. Vera Farmiga & Anna Kendrick did their job really supportive and very clever. The scenes are very good like they travel away to United States with great cinematography with each shot of the clouds,cities,and course the entire cast. The story is very interesting way that you see Clooney was traveling to each airport and tells the perfect story about his life that he do all day for working on the company that he fires to everyone in their jobs. I really love this movie of all time and one of the best 2009 films ever! And one of my favorite films in my decade of 2000's. Expand
  90. Feb 6, 2012
    Up in the Air was one of the best movies of 2009. George Clooney gave a great performance and the movie was funny and heartwarming. It managed to do what most movies can't do. Feel real.
  91. Sep 28, 2010
    Being a minor with not much responsibility other than taking the next test or completing a major homework assignment, I have not really been affected by the downturn of the economy. I can see how other people are affected by it, but I have not really felt what it is like to lose a job, losing a home, or having no money to my name.

Jason Reitman's (director of Juno) explores the downturn

Jason Reitman's (director of Juno) explores the downturn of the economy through characters Ryan Bringham played by veteran George Clooney. Ryan is hired by other companies to fire workers simply because the managers do not have the "balls" to do so. Bringham experiences the fast life, traveling from city to city, only really exploring the airport and the monotonous lives of office buildings. During his ventures to airports, he meets fellow Alex Goran, Vera Farmiga, a fellow "fast-lifer" and goes into a "casual" relationship with her. Clooney is content with his life of little personal human communication until young Natalie Keener, Anna Kendrick (Twilight), tries to make Clooney's company more "efficient," threatening Clooney's lifestyle. Clooney then spends most of the film taking Keener to fire people showing her that her "developments" will ruin the basis of the job.

Up In The Air is a commendable movie. Being a fan of Juno and other "hipster" films, I immediately fell in love with the artistic shots, indie music, and funny one-liners. But unlike Juno, Reitman's film actually has meaning. It is a true representation of today's economy, focusing and conveying the "lows" of our society. Up In The Air is not a "feel-good" movie as it portrays death, loss, and love, in a very negative way. But because of this, it establishes the purpose of the film, showing life is ugly.

The cast of the movie achieves a well-acted feat. George Clooney acts in his truly apathetic character to the point of realism. Although Clooney performs an Oscar-worthy performance, his character's emotions are not consistent throughout the movie. Clooney's character goes through an emotional change, that would seem to drastic for it to be possible. Clooney's love interest, Vera Farmiga likewise plays her character to perfection without the flaws of an emotional change. Although actors Clooney and Farmiga make this film shine, Anna Kendrick's performance is less than stellar. Kendrick, known for her roles in Twilight, doesn't move beyond the teen acting she displays in the teen-vampire hit. Her character is important to the story, but I sometimes found her character to be both bothersome and somewhat annoying. Kendrick's performance got her a nomination for Best Supporting Actress for the Golden Globes which in my opinion, is not deserved. The acting in Up In The Air is great, but it contains some minor flaws that can be overlooked.

Up In The Air is a movie that I recommend to most mature movie goers. Like Jason Reitman's other directed films, it has a dark feel that leads to a good film. Young audiences will not appreciate this film, of course, due to a representation that will just "go over their heads." The final song in the credits composed by an average citizen, sums this movie up, as it brings reality to the film from a true representative. Never has a film's credits been so touching. Overall, Up In The Air is the movie that this recession will be represented by for generations to come.
  92. Nov 18, 2010
    The best movie of 2009. The characters and events in the film are fairly different from those in the book by Walter Kirn, but I enjoyed both. The main and supporting actors performed really well. Anna Kendrick showed how great she can be. Jason Reitman keeps improving as a director besting Juno, which bested Thank You For Smoking. Great satire.
  93. Nov 26, 2010
    A very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, otherA very entertaining and intriguing story of a man and his peculiar job. I'm not sure how realistic the whole plot was but nevertheless I think the film was able to captivate the audience for the majority of the time. Some parts of the film was pretty humorous but other parts seemed a bit boring and pointless. Still, it was a brilliant performance by Clooney and Kendrick, other actors/actress weren't too bad either. The film generally does well to depict the story of a corporate business expert and maybe a child prodigy, which is a pretty unique experience. This is not a very fast paced film but not too slow and boring either. It is very enjoyable if you have the time to sit back and relax. Probably not suited for people with a small attention span or lack of intelligence. I'd give it 8/10 just put 10 to boost the score as it doesn't reflect how good the film is atm. :P Expand
  94. Jul 15, 2012
    Up in the Air is a fantastic piece of existential character study. Powered by a masterful performance by George Clooney, the movie hits all the right notes before coming to a subtle yet wrenching conclusion. Excelling in all departments from directing to soundtrack, Up in the Air is a must see.
  95. Dec 31, 2010
    Overall I enjoyed this movie and appreciated its complex, all-is-not-black-or-white message. However, I had a few issues with it. For instance, WHO would buy into that "What's in your backpack" message? Companies want to create the illusion that they're warm and fuzzy families, and no one would tolerate someone who blatantly told them to fly solo. That sideline plot hit us over the headOverall I enjoyed this movie and appreciated its complex, all-is-not-black-or-white message. However, I had a few issues with it. For instance, WHO would buy into that "What's in your backpack" message? Companies want to create the illusion that they're warm and fuzzy families, and no one would tolerate someone who blatantly told them to fly solo. That sideline plot hit us over the head with a message that we already "got" just by observing Clooney. Also, the George Clooney character never seems lonely, sad, or depressed until he learns his lesson about the importance of having a co-pilot. The movie could have done more to make you think he KNEW was missing something in life, because he seemed quite satisfied. But as I said, it's an excellent movie, despite its flaws. Expand
  96. Jan 20, 2011
    It is a simple and spontaneous movie, but it turns out to be deep and inspirational one. The movie directed by Jason Reitman, the young Director and the son of Ivan Reitman. Ivan Reitman known-well as a Producer and acclaimed Director, through his fun and pop corn movies such as: GHOSTBUSTERS (1984), KINDERGARTEN COP (1990), and EVOLUTION (2001). Flip over with his father, Jason ReitmanIt is a simple and spontaneous movie, but it turns out to be deep and inspirational one. The movie directed by Jason Reitman, the young Director and the son of Ivan Reitman. Ivan Reitman known-well as a Producer and acclaimed Director, through his fun and pop corn movies such as: GHOSTBUSTERS (1984), KINDERGARTEN COP (1990), and EVOLUTION (2001). Flip over with his father, Jason Reitman known-well in these recent years as thoughtful and serious but enjoyable dramas like: THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (2005) and JUNO (2007). The trio Casts in thiz movie fill the characters properly. George Clooney once again shows his talent on the one man show, Clooney is one of the Actors could delivers such character with his aura. Vera Farmiga appears a little bit sexy, charming, and loveable. It is a fantastic flirtatious appearance. Anna Kendricks emerges annoying but acquired sympathy in the end, just fit well on her character. The unique story is about Ryan Bingham (Clooney) who is a frequent flyer across the states. His job is to fire people, representing his boss that did not bold enough to do it himself. Maybe for many people, thiz is a life drama movie. But personally for me, thiz is a great romantic movie with the most of scenes contain with tremendous chemistry between Clooney and Farmiga. It has been a long time I did not have such a feeling since LOST IN TRANSLATION (2003). In the end, The movie was convincing us that we need a partner in life. It is ironically played by life-time bachelor Clooney (in the real life-at least until now). Yup, maybe that is true, Everybody needs a co-pilot.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE: http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  97. Feb 22, 2011
    Good movie. It was a great display of life as some one who's always travels for there company. I think this was a good role for George Clooney and he did a great job.
  98. Mar 15, 2011
    Up in the air was witty and funny. It's a story about a man who doesn't realize how lonely he really his and how he changes as a person throughout the movie. Not to mention George Clooney was outstanding, he fit the role perfectly.
  99. Jun 13, 2011
    A mature comedy-drama for adults with a really neat twist at the end. All the principle actors are really fine and the direction is right on, with a first rate screenplay and dialog. One of my favorites and one of George Clooney's best.
  100. Oct 9, 2011
    Up in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forcedUp in the Air is a movie that I found myself relating to on many levels and its impact I found personal, something that is missing from most movies. The characters are very real, the theme of how boring everyday life can be is interesting and the 3rd act of the film is awesome and memorable. The interviews and theme of people losing their jobs seems relevant on one hand but a little forced and disconnected to the main plot but its only a minor gripe. Up In The Air is great and a must see. Highly recommended. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    It's rare for a movie to be at once so biting and so moving. If Ryan's future seems bleak, there's something exhilarating about a movie made with such clear-eyed intelligence.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    The timing in the Clooney-Farmiga scenes is like splendid tennis, with each player surprising the other with shots but keeping the rally going to breathtaking duration.
  3. Up in the Air is poised to be a smash, and Clooney--slim, dark, perfectly tailored--glamorizes insincerity in a way that makes you want to go out and lie.