Up

8.8

1. Mar 1, 2011
    Up isn't a very funny movie, don't get me wrong it has it's funny moments, but I don't believe they were trying to go for the funniest movie out there, they try to get emotion in there, and for the most part they succeeded, it's nice to see a movie for kids that tries to teach them something, but it could have been more interesting, it can get pretty boring at certain points, but this is aUp isn't a very funny movie, don't get me wrong it has it's funny moments, but I don't believe they were trying to go for the funniest movie out there, they try to get emotion in there, and for the most part they succeeded, it's nice to see a movie for kids that tries to teach them something, but it could have been more interesting, it can get pretty boring at certain points, but this is a movie I can recommend, just don't expect a comedy that will keep you laughing through the entire time. Expand
  2. JoseC
    Jul 3, 2009
    After one of the best takeoffs I ever seen, the movie goes straight to hell in an incomprehensible series of scenes in the middle of nowhere with an incredible (even for an animated film) agile old old man, jumping up and down all over the place, and a hero that went mad.
  3. Aug 16, 2010
    After the first 20 minutes or so, the film just falls apart. Enjoy the beautiful beginning because its really the only noteworthy part of this very overrated spectacle. I don't understand why animated films don't need to follow the same common guidelines to making good entertainment other films, but apparently they do. Definitely not Pixar's best.
  4. Buddhamind
    Mar 5, 2010
    Although the movie technically is beautifully made, and there are some really funny scenes, I didn't like it at all. It left me with a kind of cold, uneasy feeling. Not a film I'd like to see a second time.
  5. CB
    Jun 1, 2009
    I feel as though I watched a different movie as everyone else in the theater. "Up" is kind of a ludicrous tale, one that I simply could not get into, and I never felt a connection with ANY of the characters. This does not even come close to movies like Wall-E, which are visually stunning and far out there... in a good way. I cannot possibly recommend this movie to anyone, as it was I feel as though I watched a different movie as everyone else in the theater. "Up" is kind of a ludicrous tale, one that I simply could not get into, and I never felt a connection with ANY of the characters. This does not even come close to movies like Wall-E, which are visually stunning and far out there... in a good way. I cannot possibly recommend this movie to anyone, as it was forgettable even to my son. Expand
  6. AdamL
    Jun 6, 2009
    Kind of a downer. Also the plot was like something out of Rescue Rangers. And I hate how the flaws in the plot bothered me. I mean its a kids movie, but its kind of not. Tries to appeal to too many kinds of people perhaps. Just came off as scattered.
  7. DaveH
    Jan 31, 2010
    While the intro sequence is heart warming and very cute, the rest of the movie is direct to video.
  8. Dave
    Oct 29, 2009
    I've loved pretty much all the other Pixar films, but I can't love this. The first 20 minutes is so sad, but the remainder of Up just isn't funny enough to pull you out of the depression completely. I appreciate there are always adult themes running through Pixar movies, and that should always be the case, but this one pushes it too far. Certainly has some great moments, I've loved pretty much all the other Pixar films, but I can't love this. The first 20 minutes is so sad, but the remainder of Up just isn't funny enough to pull you out of the depression completely. I appreciate there are always adult themes running through Pixar movies, and that should always be the case, but this one pushes it too far. Certainly has some great moments, but not enough. Expand
  9. CindyC.
    May 30, 2009
    The animation is spectacular, and there are many laugh-out-loud moments. To the extent that violence toward animals is central to the plot, however, I was repelled by "Up".
  10. MemoT
    Jun 23, 2009
    We were really excited about the movie, however we came home disappointed... Do you remember abortion topics in some other kids movie?... I'm not pretty sure if I want my toddler girl to be evolved and related to this kind of topics... the animation is amazing, along with the music, however as I told you, we were very disappointed about how Pixar manages death and (again) abortion.
  11. Acena
    Jun 5, 2009
    My children and I were so excited to see this movie and we're very disapointed. I myself felt no interest in the characters and the movie seemed to be depressing at some points. I'm a hugh John Lasster fan. I loved cars and Toy Story. I'm a bit surprised he was involved with this movie... Wait for it on DVD. Not worth the time nor the money otherwise.
  12. AnonymousMC
    Jul 18, 2009
    DoONT believe the hype! this movie was not that funny. here and there there were a few jokes that made you chuckle but not enough to call it a comedy, which is what it was advertised as. it was other wise good, in terms of animation and voice acting and sound. I miss pixar's old, funny movies even though they're a little childish. Remember monster's inc. and finding nemo?DoONT believe the hype! this movie was not that funny. here and there there were a few jokes that made you chuckle but not enough to call it a comedy, which is what it was advertised as. it was other wise good, in terms of animation and voice acting and sound. I miss pixar's old, funny movies even though they're a little childish. Remember monster's inc. and finding nemo? those are two my fav movies of all time. at least this movie was better than wall-e(one of the worst movies ive ever seen) Expand
  13. Niv
    Aug 21, 2009
    Starts good but deteriorates up to the end. The good jokes are all spoiled by the teaser trailer and what are left are the lame talking dogs up to the end. Overrated and worst of all the pixar films I have watch.
  14. SL
    May 31, 2009
    Just so-so, even boring at times, and even more so for kids I would think.
  15. LeeW
    Aug 15, 2009
    This film starts off magical. I was believing it to be an amazing film along the lines of other Pixar works. However, it suddenly becomes ridiculous and spews childish humor at the audience. In a movie like Ratatouille, the humor and stories meant something different to both children and adults, but Up just seems to focus on things that would rake more money in from people with children.
  16. TristramM
    Dec 28, 2009
    I really could not relate to the plot or the characters. What a waste of time.
  17. Mar 18, 2011
    This animated movie from Disney and Pixar isn't their best work, far from it. It has it's funny moments, but overall it's just not that funny. The intro of the movie, basically the life of Carl Fredericksen from childhood to the age of seventy eight , is very compelling and the best part of the movie. If Up was just those ten minutes I would give it a perfect score. That part is truelyThis animated movie from Disney and Pixar isn't their best work, far from it. It has it's funny moments, but overall it's just not that funny. The intro of the movie, basically the life of Carl Fredericksen from childhood to the age of seventy eight , is very compelling and the best part of the movie. If Up was just those ten minutes I would give it a perfect score. That part is truely magnificent. The rest of the movie is frankly a letdown, good for a few laughs but nothing more. (6.0) Expand
  18. May 4, 2012
    As an adult, I didn't particularly enjoy this movie. It wasn't bad, but I wouldn't watch it again. I agree with some previous users in saying that the beginning of the movie is the best, and from there it just sort of goes downhill.
  19. Feb 19, 2013
    I know for many this movie is their favorite Pixar movie. But not me. In fact I got to say it is my least favorite Pixar film. Sure it has great visuals and some colorful characters. But I just found most of it a bit dull. The intro, however is absolutely fantastic and sets such a dark tone that I was really surprised to see in an animated movie. Then it goes all light hearted andI know for many this movie is their favorite Pixar movie. But not me. In fact I got to say it is my least favorite Pixar film. Sure it has great visuals and some colorful characters. But I just found most of it a bit dull. The intro, however is absolutely fantastic and sets such a dark tone that I was really surprised to see in an animated movie. Then it goes all light hearted and colorful. I would think that this movie is more for a younger audience that want that kind of thing, but after such a deep intro I had honestly expected that the rest of the movie to be the same, but its not. The whole movie feels like you're waiting for something to happen and it just never reaches a climactic point of note or worthy to the tone set in the beginning. Overall: It isn't a bad movie, but I found it a bit too light hearted to take it seriously. But again, this is just me and I understand why others really like it. Expand
  20. Jun 6, 2016
    The opening of this movie is amazing, and one of the strongest things Pixar has ever done.

The rest of the movie is not nearly as good. There's a few good moments in there, but frankly, it never recaptures the magic of the start for more than a few moments, and a lot of it is just kind of lackluster.
  21. Jan 14, 2016
    Did I watch a different movie from everyone else? The one I saw was a boring, unimaginative 90-minute film that left me completely numbed from boredom. The only thing preventing from hating this one is the incredible voice performance from Ed Asner and the fantastic animation, as always, from Pixar. However, the rest really left much to be desired. I hated the beginning and did not find itDid I watch a different movie from everyone else? The one I saw was a boring, unimaginative 90-minute film that left me completely numbed from boredom. The only thing preventing from hating this one is the incredible voice performance from Ed Asner and the fantastic animation, as always, from Pixar. However, the rest really left much to be desired. I hated the beginning and did not find it sad in the least. It was cute sure, but I hate montages. This one is no different. It is a major storytelling cop-out and, as a result, it never resonated with me when the end result was revealed. Even more, that wound up being the best part of the story, which is truly astonishing. After creating this real, believable world, it delves into the absurd, stupid, and incredibly dumb (talking dogs?). The film felt so manufactured and manicured, it seemed to me that Pixar had found a formula they thought worked and could plug any story into. Tragically, it did not work with Up as it felt entirely fake and, as such, that prevented me from feeling any sort of emotion. I thought it would be this sad, funny, and entirely charming, experience, but instead I was left feeling incredibly annoyed as I waited for yet another lame attempt at a joke and some juvenile talk on the emotional impact of losing your spouse. Just let the damn house float away you moron. Plus, I have to ask; wouldn't Russell's mother wonder where the heck her son went? How can this old man, who is shown to be unable to do much of anything, be so agile towards the end? Just the magic of being around an annoying child? Anyways, Up is massively overrated. Though technically brilliant and Asner is a complete delight, so it is not all for naught, but I wonder if I watched a different film. The one I had had the worst storytelling of any Pixar film I have seen, felt completely contrived, and lack any sort of emotion. Instead, it was a dumb adventure romp that felt fake. Yes, I know Toy Story is about talking toys, but it feels real. Here, it felt like a bad parody of other Pixar films Expand
  22. Jan 31, 2014
    I think this is Pixar's worst film. I love the first twenty minutes, but they belong to another movie. The rest of the movie reminds me of Jim and the Giant Peach (a decent film, nothing spectacular) because the plot is just silly and random. The differences between Jim and Up are that the animation in Up is far less interesting, and the characters are boring and forgettable, or annoying.I think this is Pixar's worst film. I love the first twenty minutes, but they belong to another movie. The rest of the movie reminds me of Jim and the Giant Peach (a decent film, nothing spectacular) because the plot is just silly and random. The differences between Jim and Up are that the animation in Up is far less interesting, and the characters are boring and forgettable, or annoying. Forty minutes into the movie and I was looking at my watch, so boring. Expand
  23. Apr 24, 2014
    While I have nothing against Up's animation or story, the film itself is just average. The montage of Carl's life with his wife is touching and maybe even tear-jerking, but the rest of the film is not one of Pixar's best.
  24. Jan 6, 2016
    Sorry I don't get all the praise about this movie.
    It was ok but at the end one of the weaker animated films in my opinion.
    Especially the second half was a letdown.
  25. Jan 19, 2015
    After one of the greatest opening sequences I've seen in any animated film, Up turns monotonous. Now to be honest, Up had a to to live up to, given Pixar's previous installment (Wall-E) is one of the greatest animated films ever made. Up, in comparison, is just mediocre pish-posh. It's so random that I might have learn't a lesson in chaos. Had they concentrated on the relationship betweenAfter one of the greatest opening sequences I've seen in any animated film, Up turns monotonous. Now to be honest, Up had a to to live up to, given Pixar's previous installment (Wall-E) is one of the greatest animated films ever made. Up, in comparison, is just mediocre pish-posh. It's so random that I might have learn't a lesson in chaos. Had they concentrated on the relationship between Carl and his late wife more, the film would have been far more interesting. After a while the boredom wears off and it just gets annoying. Even for a children's film, dog's flying planes is just silly. It's the overload of plot devices that really brings down the film. Had Up been even the least bit innovative, it would've been a far better film. Aside from its first 10 minutes, UP is nothing more than just another animated film which had the potential to be a lot lot more. Expand
  26. Jun 17, 2014
    Prior to watching this: Love all the previous Pixar films and was hoping this will be great too. The reviews said so.
    Review: Was not roped in by the saccharin and sad bit at the beginning. For those who were, you fools! Was frustrated by the totally unrealistic bit with the floating house on many levels. Was bored by lack of things happening after the house had arrived at the destination til the discovery of others on that site.
  27. Dec 22, 2014
    this is not one of Pixar's bests. I found it too dark, too sad, and yet it's heartwarming...? At no point i felt heartwarmed... Although it did have a few parts that made me chuckle. The whole time sitting there watching this, I wanted to kick Russell in the face! Visually it looks okay. 4/10.
  28. May 8, 2016
    The beginning and ending was really god, with lots of humor in between. But, it was like a plane ride with a sturdy takeoff and landing, but loads of turbulence in between. The plot was weird and wonky in this movie. i was so excited for this movie when i got it, but the plot in between was bad. To every movie, the plot is everything, so it kinda ruined the movie.

1. Winsome, touching and arguably the funniest Pixar effort ever, the gorgeously rendered, high-flying adventure is a tidy 90-minute distillation of all the signature touches that came before it.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A captivating odd-couple adventure that becomes funnier and more exciting as it flies along.
  3. By all means, see Up in its 3-D incarnation: The cliff drops are vertiginous, and the scores of balloons--bunched into the shape of one giant balloon--are as pluckable as grapes.