7.8

1. Mar 16, 2014
    My main issue with this movie is that it seemed like one not so special additional episode of the TV series. I watched every episode when they were originally aired years ago and I enjoyed them. Despite the enthusiasm of the kick starter campaign it seems that the actors were simply going through the motions this time around. I never thought I would say this but Kristen Bell is much betterMy main issue with this movie is that it seemed like one not so special additional episode of the TV series. I watched every episode when they were originally aired years ago and I enjoyed them. Despite the enthusiasm of the kick starter campaign it seems that the actors were simply going through the motions this time around. I never thought I would say this but Kristen Bell is much better as her character in house of lies than she is as the older Veronica Mars. And what the hell happened to Logan Echols? He either looked like a little boy or a shrunken headed bodybuilder in that Navy uniform. I will say that it was cool seeing Veronica's dad and weevil back in action. This is absolutely one for the fans only. If you haven't seen the show skip it. Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2014
    Great Movie. As a fan of the tv series I am more than Satisfied. Veronica Mars is back. It's the perfect series finale, that the tv show didn't have. The movie is entertaining, interesting and suspenseful. For a stranger viewer is still a great thriller to watch with a lot of unexpectd plot twist and funny quotes. Kristen Bell and Rob Thomas at their best.
  3. Jul 6, 2014
    As a huge fan of the TV series, I am disappointed on a whole new level in this movie and I think people who have never seen the TV show would be even more bored and disappointed in this movie. It just feels really lame, it was extremely boring and it seems a too forced. I would liken it to the 9th season of scrubs - actually it's significantly worse than that. I wouldn't recommend this toAs a huge fan of the TV series, I am disappointed on a whole new level in this movie and I think people who have never seen the TV show would be even more bored and disappointed in this movie. It just feels really lame, it was extremely boring and it seems a too forced. I would liken it to the 9th season of scrubs - actually it's significantly worse than that. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone - especially fans of the show. Expand
  4. Mar 22, 2014
    While dong a great job of offering a nostalgic experience for fans, the Veronica Mars movie fails to be a good movie or even a good Veronica Mars episode. The focus seemed primarily on reintroducing old characters and cameos who had very little to do with the plot. The plot that was there was overly simple and not up to the usual Veronica Mars quality.
  5. Mar 15, 2014
    Awesome movie. This is the finale fans had been waiting for. All of the main characters are back and while they may not get too much on screen time it feels we are back in Neptune of yester- years where things may have changed but the sense of familiarity is till there,.
    I hope someone starts thinking about a new show on veronica mars (a la Dr. who) . I can't wait to read the book.
  6. Mar 15, 2014
    Veronica Mars is back! Not sure how I'd view the film if I hadn't seen the series, but as a film made for fans I think it's pretty awesome.

The wit is definitely there:
    Veronica: "Words with Friends?"
    Dick: "Some people just call it texting"

The story was intriguing, and they brought back all the characters that I was expecting!
  7. Mar 16, 2014
    Just saw the movie on Amazon, as the movie wasn't playing in Hawaii; cheaper at $6.99 anyway too. Great movie; just like the TV show series; same great characters; good storyline with Logan. I like the relationship between Veronica and her dad; that adds to the movie. I wish they would bring back the series. They never closed out the end of season 3. If CW doesn't pick it up again,Just saw the movie on Amazon, as the movie wasn't playing in Hawaii; cheaper at $6.99 anyway too. Great movie; just like the TV show series; same great characters; good storyline with Logan. I like the relationship between Veronica and her dad; that adds to the movie. I wish they would bring back the series. They never closed out the end of season 3. If CW doesn't pick it up again, maybe USA, as they have some similar great shows on there as well?! :) Expand
  8. Mar 17, 2014
    A love letter to fans for sure. And exactly the movie that needed to be made to kickstart - pardon the pun - this show back in gear. I hope that this is what is needed to keep the story of Veronica, family and friends going.

It needed to start somewhere and bring her back and introduce the world of non-marshmallows to the town of Neptune. What better way to start than 10 year reunion/ex lover murder suspect. It was a way to give us some old nemesis and bring the friends around with an update on where they are. Even Mac's new job was a nice nod to a very old but relevant story line.

I have heard some critique of the shows look, well they only had $5 million. That's small potatoes considering it cost 1.5 to 2 million to do an episode. So to bring this to the big screen was going to need to cut a few corners and rely on the generosity of the stars to bring it all together. So for that I say, let it go.

The story is familiar territory but still fun. I didn't guess the end. I jumped in a few spots as did my kids. We laughed. I got a few goosebumps. It's what I needed. I'm happy with the movie I saw.

If I had 1 complaint it would be not enough cool quips from Veronica. But they still were there and fun when they happened.

If you are a fan, go see this movie. If you are a movie-goer and want to open yourself up to a fun world, then go see this movie.
  9. Aug 29, 2014
    Swan song for the cult series...with budget raised through a 'Kick-starter' campaign. Kristen Bell is back in the role that made her a pop culture mainstay and she's as good as ever. The bad thing about this flick is that it feels like a double episode of its original series. But it's entertaining and funny..one of the hidden gems this year.
  10. Mar 20, 2014
    From the very beginning you sense that time has stopped and this is a fresh new episode of the tv show. A long, self contained episode.
    If you never watched the show you will still be able to catch up on the events and to relate to the characters. The only really downside of the movie is that it ends, the audience is left wanting for more.
  11. Jun 8, 2014
    Veronica Mars has one of the most boring openings to a movie I have seen in a long time. The movie seems lazy and is very uneven in the way it is told. It is like a very long T.V show that sucks.
  12. Jun 17, 2014
    After an underwhelming first half, the movie then kicks into high gear with an interesting and funny story that ultimately delivers. It had potential to be much better, but I enjoyed it.
  13. Jun 9, 2014
    I never watched the television series in which this movie influenced. So had no faint idea about the movie and its theme. All I know is that the movie borrowed most of the cast and crew from the original as the movie database says. The story that revolves around a mysterious death and its investigation. The Puzzled characters which leaves us to keep guessing what might have happened.

I

I never attracted to the Kisten Bell. I don't know why I always say that when it comes to the review of her movies. I hate myself for being a sarcastic, though I never doubted her performances. She might not be a pretty among the other Hollywood actress, but I love her acting. She got a great voice I guess and she's always great as usual on the screen. So, now you might know the reason why watched this movie.

Veronica Mars is a newly law graduate on the verge to get placement in her dream NY law firm. On the same day she gets a message that her ex-boyfriend Logan from the school days is accused of a murder. Personally, he requests her presence around him to help to recruit best lawyer. Beside that her old experience as partners with her father who's a private eye digs the case herself and muddle the thing around. What she finds is the perfect answers for the darkness that haunted everyone.

I am sure you might have seen some of the movies that takes place around a mysterious death. That makes you, you are on verge to predict the twist comfortably. But in this case it is not, because there's no earlier story in the movie about characters that reveals before or after the commencement of the mainstream story. So it puts you in the constant state as you entered to watch this till the twilight of the storytelling and it unfolds itself. Yeah, the story itself held back all the crucial incidents and characters to avoid the mess in the name of mystify the viewers. I don't know it is good or bad, but made the movie look better in a way. In the end it is not your best mystery solving theme, but a decent one around you find.
  14. Mar 17, 2014
    For a movie, Veronica Mars seems a lot like an extra-long TV show. Fortunately, that's exactly what the fans wanted. For devotees of the much loved series, this long-awaited Veronica Mars feature film is a five-star proposition. For everyone else, Veronica Mars is a pleasant diversion. (And you need know nothing about the young sleuth or her past exploits on TV to like it.) The film is aFor a movie, Veronica Mars seems a lot like an extra-long TV show. Fortunately, that's exactly what the fans wanted. For devotees of the much loved series, this long-awaited Veronica Mars feature film is a five-star proposition. For everyone else, Veronica Mars is a pleasant diversion. (And you need know nothing about the young sleuth or her past exploits on TV to like it.) The film is a charming exercise in contemporary girl power, with mystery and romance thrown in for good measure. Kristen Bell puts her approachable persona to good use in the role of Veronica, a semi-outcast from Neptune, Calif., who never ran with the cool kids in high school. Still, it was made clear she'd outstrip them all eventually. And she has. The movie opens with Veronica being interviewed for a top job with a New York law firm. A brief voiceover from the title character fills in most of the past, explaining her need to get out of corrupt little Neptune and make a life for herself. Veronica has walked away from Neptune, sleuthing, and her rocky relationship with Logan Echolls (Jason Dohring), building a new life as a fledgling lawyer on the opposite coast and dating her college boyfriend (Chris Lowell). Brisk and clever (and often very funny), Veronica Mars has a terrific ensemble cast that includes a couple of stand-outs: Krysten Ritter, back as Gia Goodman, for example, and Gaby Hoffman, who turns up as a character named Ruby Jetson. The story also has a handful of cameos and inside jokes, including a bit with James Franco; there's a general irreverence to the writing that's one of the movie's best features. The uninitiated can be assured that Veronica Mars is entertaining from start to finish. Expand
  15. May 28, 2014
    While I was a fan of the TV series, this movie is a lame re-interpretation of that. The investigation is very lame, the writers continue to stick Veronica with that idiot Logan, and overall it was a waste of a couple hours. Come to think of it, the TV series went downhill in season 2, recovered a bit in season 3, and this movie tops it off with a total crash.
  16. Jul 14, 2014
    Boring, wholly unnecessary, and irritating, most filmgoers who are not fans of the hit TV Show will find Veronica Mars a less than entertaining experience.
  17. Mar 20, 2014
    A great cast returns to this film reboot of one of my favourite film series. Unfortunately the myriad of characters sometimes bogs down the mystery, which at times feels a bit light. The TV series pushed the boundaries on humour in detective work while solving homicides, while the movie feels more nostalgic than fresh. I would have liked to have seen more twists and turns, however KristenA great cast returns to this film reboot of one of my favourite film series. Unfortunately the myriad of characters sometimes bogs down the mystery, which at times feels a bit light. The TV series pushed the boundaries on humour in detective work while solving homicides, while the movie feels more nostalgic than fresh. I would have liked to have seen more twists and turns, however Kristen Bell and Jason Dohrings performances are excellent. Expand
  18. Mar 17, 2014
    Veronica Mars deserves a marshmallow on top of an awesome movie. I have to admit, even though a based-on-a-television-series movie seems like a bad idea, Veronica Mars shines as a feature film. The storyline was great, the charm that Kristen Bell brought to the character was absolutely fantastic, and I like the fact that the writers threw in some humor in this thrilling mystery drama. IVeronica Mars deserves a marshmallow on top of an awesome movie. I have to admit, even though a based-on-a-television-series movie seems like a bad idea, Veronica Mars shines as a feature film. The storyline was great, the charm that Kristen Bell brought to the character was absolutely fantastic, and I like the fact that the writers threw in some humor in this thrilling mystery drama. I wasn't a fan of the series before watching the movie and now it makes me want to watch all 3 seasons of the series. Job well done Rob Thomas. Expand
  19. Jun 7, 2014
    I enjoyed this. Straight-forward murder mystery set against a Big Chill reunion of characters from the original series. I must admit that I never watched the TV series and knew little about the characters going in, but that didn't deter my enjoyment of the film one bit.
  20. Mar 14, 2014
    The fan support for this movie was really unprecedented. Those supporters will likely be pleased. The story advances the timeline, brings back almost all of the characters, and reprises the twisty, mildly provocative mystery plotting and snappy dialogue of the show. There's even a joking reference to the fan support that nudges the fourth wall.

As someone who had watched most of the

As someone who had watched most of the show several years ago but wasn't enough into it to rewatch it or memorize all the details, there were a lot of inside references that I'm quite sure I didn't get. Don't get me wrong; it's better to do fanservice than to dumb it down for the masses, but be aware that if you haven't seen the show you'll be a tad lost, despite the prologue the movie has explaining the gist of it all.

The movie looks like an extended TV episode; the locations feel small and the action is minimal save for a few jump scares. However, given the budget I think they got what they could out of it, and you weren't watching the mystery series for its visual art anyway. The murder mystery is indeed mysterious, but the climax didn't do much for me, and of course you can't develop as much in a movie as in a season of television.

It ends with a new direction for the characters that I frankly did not like. I won't spoil it, but most of the major characters make a certain choice with regards to their old lives that felt wrong to me. I don't know how the true blue fans will take it; maybe they'll like it more than I did or maybe not.

All told, though, anyone who liked the show will find it worth the wait. So many of these projects never get off the ground that it's gratifying to see when the fans get something made that Hollywood producers gave up on. The jokes and plot twists are entertaining enough.
  21. Oct 1, 2014
    "a mysterious action packed movie full of mystery , comedy and turns it out a die hard fun mystery".......................................................................................
  22. Mar 14, 2014
    It is GREAT MOVIE! Yeah, they messed up an entire investigation, but is still was so Veronica Mars, so clear, so dramatic, so good. I really liked it, although i'd prefer to see her in the NYC rather than having job at MI. Also i am one of these guys who's sad about Piz(
  23. Nov 23, 2014
    Veronica Mars es una pelĂ­cula simple, pero brillante al mismo tiempo, logra enfocar su historia en un buen punto para que luego todo colisione y haga del resultado del film una muy buen destello.
  24. Mar 17, 2014
    If you are a fan of the television series, then this movie is the closure you need. With a kickstarter reaching 5.9 million dollars from donations world wide, just goes to show that the fans, want more. The Veronica Mars movie, coming back to the town of Neptune to help her old friend friend, 'Lachlan' because he is framed for murder. Or course he is! Watching this made me think about theIf you are a fan of the television series, then this movie is the closure you need. With a kickstarter reaching 5.9 million dollars from donations world wide, just goes to show that the fans, want more. The Veronica Mars movie, coming back to the town of Neptune to help her old friend friend, 'Lachlan' because he is framed for murder. Or course he is! Watching this made me think about the series again, you get to see older characters, what has become of their lives, and what has changed since Veronica's departure to the 'Big Apple' to become a big time lawyer. But the voices of Neptune call her back for one last stand. For a Kickstarter of 5.9 million, i have to say that this is amazing, the script has been in the making for a few years now, and you can tell that it was well thought out. The voice over narration of Veronica brought back memories from the TV Show and was urging me to watch it again. Surely there are things that would be plainly obvious to happen (just like every part of the TV Show) but that is what i think makes VM so attractable, we know what is going to happen, we just don't know how she is going to get out of it. If you are a fan, watch it, if you are not a fan, watch it. It is good fun to watch, but still at the same time there will be reunions so you might want to read up on those relationships which is shown to be the downfall to TV series to sequel movies.

Positives + Good script, actors are cool, fans will love this, actors from other series that you may know and love.

Negatives - non-fans may be confused with the amount of characters and their relationships between one another, even thought here is a little bit of an introduction at the start.

Overall:
    Music: B -
    Acting: B
    Cinematography: B+ (for a 5.9M kickstarter)
    Narrative: B - for fans C for non-fans
  25. Mar 20, 2014
    Loyalty and what may be construed as blinkered enthusiasm have been the catalysts for many things. Here, this crowd-funded Kickstarter project gathered enough momentum from lovers of the original television series of the same name to get it across the finish line and get the film greenlit. People power. Don't you just love it?

Well, yes and no. I do love the fact that the opportunity

Well, yes and no. I do love the fact that the opportunity for someone to beg for money to get their project made is a viable option and an achievable reality. However, where does this stop? If I get enough people to give me a dollar, should I make 'my' movie too? As Jeff Goldblum says, "you realised that you could, but didn't stop to ask yourself if you should." Having not seen the television series on which this film is based, yet still acutely aware of the dreams upon which all these small investors precariously hang, you have to wonder just how good an idea this was.

Hindsight will no doubt prove me wrong, however. As an example of this expectation, you don't have to look too far. I'm reviewing it. I didn't watch the television show, yet I am still reviewing the film. Already, the reach of the film has gone beyond the apparently rather flimsy grasp of it small screen predecessor. But does that make it any good? As it is being paid for by the fans, should it actually be allowed to be anything else? A studio risking its own money is one thing, but playing foolishly with other people's money would not be a wise move at all. This had better work. For everyone's sake. Otherwise this won't be happening again, any time soon.

Kristen Bell reprises her role of the titular detective from all those years ago, drawn back to the town she went to school in to help an old friend who has been charged with murder (he is still walking around and not locked up, why is this?) and at the same time, take the opportunity to attend a school reunion and spend a few days with her father, who still lives there in the family home. Three birds, one stone.

Feeling a little too much like an extended television episode (what would I know, I've never seen the show. that's just how it feels) the script is sharp in most places and witty in others, even if the direction seems a little uninspired. For starters then, the writers have done sterling work and have seemingly honoured the literal quality of the show, mooted to be one of its strong points in various quarters.

Bell's Veronica is a little bit sassy, confident and smart and you can see why this teenage detective would have gathered a loyal following at the time. Beautiful, smart and funny? What's not to like, right? The character Bell plays may well be a tentpole for girls of a certain age, reassuringly brainwashed into believing that they could be like their hero, or come to that, anything they want. A nice positive message, regardless of its place in reality.

The delivery from the majority of the cast falls a little flat and at times you do wonder if you have inadvertently stumbled into a live-action re-make of Scooby-Doo as convenient plot devices are a little too commonplace here to feel natural. The narrative is, at best, convenient and if we're brutally honest, its screams at a market that is less demanding than your usual thriller-driven cinemagoer.

In all, a fairly harmless re-visit to a much loved franchise. Safe, certainly, for possibly those reasons mentioned above. Whether the responsibility placed upon the project by the method by which it secured its financing has forced it to play a little safer than we might expect. A vanilla production which will have a hard time impressing an audience outside its already wide circle of friends, even if it touches more people along the way, due to its revelatory conception. Alright, I guess, but it won't be setting the world alight.
  26. Mar 21, 2014
    Should I start with I didn't feel comfortable for Kristen Bell's voice as a narrator? "Veronica Mars" sounds good and delightful, but not original.

The story goes exactly like an episode of a series, where Veronica the talented PI involves herself in a mysterious case about unnatural death of a Pop singer which was in a love affair with her own ex-boyfriend "Logan Echolls" (Jason Dohring) who is the prime suspect as the last one saw her. Ignoring her sex tape scandal with Logan, and her father's warnings she continues her research to the truth discovering a serious relationship between this death and another case, so Veronica starts to use her cleverness and deception to reach her evidence.
    I guess Rob Thomas was so ambitious to make the story very thrilling looks like a noir movie, but for me it was complicated and less attractive than I expected, although it was fairly smart sometimes but not so long! It was a wide script, with unpleasant romantic minutes and heavily Technological means. How to talk about police corruption if Veronica Mars as a detective was totally crook?

Apart of her as a narrator, Kristen Bell was really good, she gave the character even more that it needs. I regard that was a Kickstarter project with a certain budget, so I must say "Well done" even I was a bit disappointed.
  27. Jul 10, 2014
    I am a massive fan of the show but this movie has little of any worth in it. It reintroduces us to all the characters for old times sake, and sure it is nice to see them again, but the rest of the film is really lacking. The story is dull as dish water and the writing was fairly poor. It lacked all of the charm and wit of the original show and simply wrapped a bunch of lame cameos around aI am a massive fan of the show but this movie has little of any worth in it. It reintroduces us to all the characters for old times sake, and sure it is nice to see them again, but the rest of the film is really lacking. The story is dull as dish water and the writing was fairly poor. It lacked all of the charm and wit of the original show and simply wrapped a bunch of lame cameos around a story that was impossible to care about. Only worth your time if you're a fan of the show and even then it's questionable. I can't say I've made up my own mind of whether it was worthwhile seeing this. Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2014
    Imagine myself being a fan of Veronica Mars back when the show first aired in 2004. I would be 7 years old by that year but let's just say I am quite older than 7. Like 17 years old, my current age. Anyway, I would have no idea what the show will have in store for the next three seasons. Murder, potential incest, a deadly bus crash, frame, rape, adultery, corruption and the list goes on inImagine myself being a fan of Veronica Mars back when the show first aired in 2004. I would be 7 years old by that year but let's just say I am quite older than 7. Like 17 years old, my current age. Anyway, I would have no idea what the show will have in store for the next three seasons. Murder, potential incest, a deadly bus crash, frame, rape, adultery, corruption and the list goes on in Neptune, California. I would be intrigued with the show because of the titular character. The way she deals with the mysteries despite her difficult personal life is amazing for a teenager and I get to experience that with many other fans tuning-in

Fast-forward to 2007, The CW announced that the show is cancelled leaving numerous fans trying their best for the network to reconsider renewing the show with no avail. I would have been devastated.

Then fast-forward to 2013, the creator of the show Rob Thomas created a Kickstarter campaign asking for fans to donate with a goal budget of at least 2 million dollars to finally have the Veronica Mars movie we have been asking for so long. If I have seen the show before the movie is announced, I would be excited. But I heard this news with no idea about the show itself. Having a fan-funded movie of 5 million dollars is impressive for a show that has a small yet loyal fanbase.

Because of that, I decided to check the show before seeing the movie. Of course, I enjoyed the show for reasons above. Watching the entire series before watching the movie was the best decision I have ever made. If I have not seen the series before watching the movie, I would be totally clueless.

But that's what it bothers me. The movie lacks appeal for non-fans as the movie is totally for the fans of the show. If you're going to make a movie continuation of a TV show, you have to make sure it appeals to non-fans as well. Clearly, this is not the case and it bothered me.

However after watching the movie, I felt very satisfied. This felt like a series finale to me. All the loose-ends left by the TV show are tied in this movie and I am happy that this movie existed. I also liked how the end of the movie sets up a potential sequel. I highly doubt that it would continue in a form of a movie but if there is a sequel, I will try to donate this time if it needs to be funded by the fans again. Sequel or no sequel, this is a satisfying conclusion for one of my favorite TV shows of all-time.

The character development was well done. They have matured very well as an adult. Their character development was the reason why this movie felt matured from its TV show, which is quite teenager-y at times. This is a very nice transition.

The plot was well-organized and the mystery in this movie was very intriguing even though this movie is more of the "tying loose-ends" type of movie. My only problem with the plot is its subplot, which I am not going to spoil what it is. It felt rushed and it didn't have a proper ending to it. I think this was left intentional as a way to set up a sequel. Nonetheless, it could have given more time for that subplot to have a proper ending.

The script was amazingly well done by the creator of the show. It felt like watching a brand new episode of the show in a good way. The dialogues were freshly delivered by the characters.

The direction in this movie however felt a bit weird. It's like a new experience for me as a fan of the TV show. Overall, the direction and the cinematography is really good. That also explains the movie's maturity from its TV show.

The cast performances were very good in this movie. Not only the actors remained faithful in playing their characters but they also much improved their acting in this movie. I guess with a better budget, that's when they can get full potential in their acting.

The humor is the highlight of this movie for me. It's classic Veronica Mars humor and I love it! It's funny, sarcastic and witty which is also one of the reasons why Veronica Mars is one of my favorite TV shows.

It's not the greatest movie ever. If you haven't seen the show, don't watch the movie as you will be completely clueless on what's going on. But if you're a fan of the show like me, you will be satisfied with this movie and you're going to be happy seeing your favorite characters once again on the big screen.
  29. Sep 29, 2014
    This movie is so clearly a love letter to the fans, it hit as many possible fan-desired things as it could in the time constraint. Do I wish there had been more Wallace and Mac and Dick and Keith... of course. Am I sad to not know more about the Weevil transformation story? Yes. But the movie held the spirit of a beloved show with gusto. No complaints.

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    As someone who enjoyed the show enormously while it was on the air, I am relieved to report that the film felt to me like it successfully recaptured the spirit of the show's first season.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Mar 17, 2014
    Proves more footnote than fresh start.
  3. Reviewed by: Margaret Lyons
    Mar 17, 2014
    Somehow, miraculously, the Veronica Mars movie is definitely not bad. It's pretty damn good, actually.