7.0

1. Feb 3, 2013
    this movie should be watch as (Annie Hall 2), Allen ended the earlier by describing relationships "They’re totally irrational and crazy and absurd", and after many years he completed his idea and made it crystal clear, and now I can see the whole artistic work of Woody Allen as a masterpiece.
  2. AlaD.
    Apr 23, 2009
    Great, clear, funny.
  3. Maurice
    Aug 14, 2008
    One of Woody's best!
  4. MikeR.
    Aug 21, 2008
    Woody Allen can still create a film that weaves between comedy and drama and give the viewer something to retain when the lights go on
  5. Casper
    Aug 20, 2008
    Perhaps it's only flaw (and the same that beset Cassandra's Dream) is that lately Allen has a tendency to send all of his thoughts out to character's incapable of truly expressing them. In other words, on occasion, they're simply offshoot personalities of Allen's own worldview & set of expressions, resulting in dialogue that seems a little too intellectual or Perhaps it's only flaw (and the same that beset Cassandra's Dream) is that lately Allen has a tendency to send all of his thoughts out to character's incapable of truly expressing them. In other words, on occasion, they're simply offshoot personalities of Allen's own worldview & set of expressions, resulting in dialogue that seems a little too intellectual or esteemed for some of the personalities involved. Now, Cassandra's Dream didn't suffer from highbrow dialogue but rather that it had working class stiffs using Allen's own ideas in less educated language. Don't get me wrong, when he reigns it in as he did in his earlier work or features believable upper-class representatives, then I can totally buy it. Here there's a few times, usually involving the straight-edged grad student where I feel the characters would be over-reaching in order to utilize such lofty language. Other than that, it's probably his strongest overall work since Husbands & Wives. There's great cinematography, a well-balanced story (NEVER one of Allen's shortcomings) and fabulous acting all around. Go check it out and try and ignore the forced lines in the first half hour. Expand
  6. SteveM.
    Aug 24, 2008
    This movie was throughly engaging from the first moment to the last. He writes a diverse cast of characters with such virtuosity. The cast is spot on perfection. And though I was looking forward to seeing it from the bouncy title and great cast, I was not prepared for what I saw and how deeply it reverberated. The melancholy story is punctuated by lots of laughs. If you have ever liked a This movie was throughly engaging from the first moment to the last. He writes a diverse cast of characters with such virtuosity. The cast is spot on perfection. And though I was looking forward to seeing it from the bouncy title and great cast, I was not prepared for what I saw and how deeply it reverberated. The melancholy story is punctuated by lots of laughs. If you have ever liked a Woody Allen film...GO! Expand
  7. BillyS.
    Sep 18, 2008
    In my 40 years of movie going there's been two constants that are a dependable annual reason to remind me why I love the movies - The Oscars and a film by Woody Allen. Sometimes I'm not happy with the Oscars, I've never been unhappy with Woody. He's made a few classics and many great films and the rest are just very good. Vicki Cristina Barcelona is a great film and In my 40 years of movie going there's been two constants that are a dependable annual reason to remind me why I love the movies - The Oscars and a film by Woody Allen. Sometimes I'm not happy with the Oscars, I've never been unhappy with Woody. He's made a few classics and many great films and the rest are just very good. Vicki Cristina Barcelona is a great film and Spain is the perfect location in which Woody makes a city another character in his film the same way he canonized NYC for all those years. Looks like this will be another year when Woody and the Oscars will be together again!! Expand
  8. SumitD.
    Jul 3, 2009
    An excellent film about how we love. The romanticism of picturesque locales and beautiful people in a film that, despite being sent in the 21st echos an almost Renaissance-esque devotion to cultural achievement and academic pursuits. The film ends on a slightly melancholy note but on the whole is an extremely satisfying picture.
  9. Chrisa
    Aug 9, 2009
    I really enjoyed this film. It was simply romantic & funny . The actors beautiful and I liked that it did not have sweaty sex scenes.
  10. YvesMorton
    Aug 13, 2008
    Unforgettable film. One of the best works by Woody Allen. Superb Penélope Cruz.
  11. chessb
    Aug 13, 2008
    Rarely do the emotions of quiet people get as much interesting attention as the emotions of the extroverts. This film lavishes insight on them both, wonderfully and wittily. Oh yes, and lots of pretty people having sex. Beautiful architecture, beautiful shots of Barcelona and surrounding countryside. In my fantasies, I now live in the artist's studio in this film, with or without Rarely do the emotions of quiet people get as much interesting attention as the emotions of the extroverts. This film lavishes insight on them both, wonderfully and wittily. Oh yes, and lots of pretty people having sex. Beautiful architecture, beautiful shots of Barcelona and surrounding countryside. In my fantasies, I now live in the artist's studio in this film, with or without Javier Bardem. Expand
  12. liliJ
    Aug 16, 2008
    This is one of the best movies lately with astonishing performances by most of the cast
  13. JG.
    Aug 17, 2008
    Loved it! Kept me interested the entire time... made me want to move to spain :)
  14. JW.W.
    Aug 17, 2008
    This film is outstanding! A must see for all ages.
  15. KR
    Aug 18, 2008
    Very confused as to why The New York Times score is a 70 even though it's only movie highly recommended by one critic at The Times. Really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. I think it also dealt very well with the struggle to find and maintain passion versus love. Woody was smart to stop making movies in New York. He had really gotten into a rut. Although it's sad that a Very confused as to why The New York Times score is a 70 even though it's only movie highly recommended by one critic at The Times. Really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. I think it also dealt very well with the struggle to find and maintain passion versus love. Woody was smart to stop making movies in New York. He had really gotten into a rut. Although it's sad that a lot of people won't see this movie simply because they hate woody as a person. My response always is would you not read a great book or not listen to great song just because you object to the artist's personal life? Would you not go see a Bruce Willis movie, for example, if you're a Democrat since Willis is a die hard Republican? Anyway... Woody does it again. Now if only Scarlett Johansson can learn to act. Expand
  16. JadeI.
    Aug 21, 2008
    Wow! As much as I defend Woody and try to find encouraging signs of regained competency when he misses the mark, I have to admit, to my shame, I didn
  17. IqbalF.
    Aug 20, 2008
    Woody Allen's best in years with a very refreshing set of themes and dialogue among the Spaniards. A very poignant story that's also funny. What a pleasant surprise!
  18. AlanG.
    Aug 28, 2008
    YES, Male fantasy, but it makes senset hat women should reallly get along and support one another; what woman really wants a full-time man anyway ? IF other American Writers were authoring, the ending might have been more formulaic and less believable; but perhaps more satisfying and with slightly higher audience reviews/satisfaction.
  19. TonyO
    Jan 15, 2009
    Come on guys! Why all the moaning? This is a funny, funny film. Lots of little homages to European film (Jules et Jim, etc) but at no stage does Woody's respect and fondness for film history overwhelm the entertainment. And the star quality on show here is a delight. In particular, Javier Bardem is an absolute hoot, but everyone else is in there having a great time as well. It is an Come on guys! Why all the moaning? This is a funny, funny film. Lots of little homages to European film (Jules et Jim, etc) but at no stage does Woody's respect and fondness for film history overwhelm the entertainment. And the star quality on show here is a delight. In particular, Javier Bardem is an absolute hoot, but everyone else is in there having a great time as well. It is an ensemble show through and through. Not perfect - the film is made on a tight budget and sometimes it shows - but this is so much better written than every other American comedy this year (apart from Burn After Reading) that it is embarrassing. I chuckled about all sorts of elements of this film for a week afterwards. Great fun. Expand
  20. BecquerM.
    Jan 31, 2009
    Unlike many triangular-love films, Vicky Cristina Barcelona has achieved the important feat of making a point and few (perhaps only those who have lived in Spain) have the capacity to understand the degree of perfection achieved by Penelope Cruz's portrayal of Maria Elena, the half psychotic, half genius artist who teeters on the brink of insanity; she makes this movie, and for that Unlike many triangular-love films, Vicky Cristina Barcelona has achieved the important feat of making a point and few (perhaps only those who have lived in Spain) have the capacity to understand the degree of perfection achieved by Penelope Cruz's portrayal of Maria Elena, the half psychotic, half genius artist who teeters on the brink of insanity; she makes this movie, and for that reason alone, this movie should be regarded as Woody Allen's best. Expand
  21. jasperL
    Feb 16, 2009
    This was great. Woody's back to his best. The dynamics of the relationships between the leading characters was nicely judged and Mr Bardem and Penelope Cruz were outstanding. It had a lovely continental and arthouse feel.
  22. CarlosF.
    Jul 18, 2009
    It's a film to love or hate because it's a very complex film, reflecting the complexity of human relationships. Johanson and Cruz are amasing here. And the way Barcelona is shot is visually beautiful. Woody Allen is a master.
  23. Joanna
    Nov 12, 2009
    Wise! Woody was so wise when he created these characters in these situations. I don't think a young person will understand the poignant point, but, I surely do. Cruz in her neurosis was like my alter ego. I related to the characters, the scenery, the message, all of it. And I laughed aloud at the hysteria. Wonderful and wise!
  24. Aug 31, 2011
    I fell in love with this movie. I fell in love with the story, the passion and the acting. The direction is really good and the story too. Rebecca Hall, Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem and super super Penélope Cruz all acted really great. All the bad comments go to hell...
  25. AaronL.
    Sep 21, 2008
    The best woody allen film in many years, the writing feels like his old films, but wiser. Fun, sexy, surprising, witty, well worth it.
  26. JayH
    Jan 18, 2009
    Woody Allen is a genius when it comes to character development. That is what makes his films so rich and interesting. He ingeniously weaves the characters together and it makes the story fascinating. Excellent performances, particularly Penelope Cruz.
  27. J.D.
    Jan 26, 2009
    One of the best films I've ever seen. Catches very well a lot of human experiences and feelings and it's very nicely done.
  28. JohnS
    Dec 18, 2008
    Fun exciting, portrays real questions that people have about real relationships.
  29. Apr 18, 2011
    Amusing, airy, fun, and incredibly artistic, Vicky Cristina Barcelona is beautiful in every possible way. This movie is Woody Allen's true masterpiece. The screenplay, direction, acting, cinematography, music, and location came together in a beautiful, remarkable, revolutionary way.
  30. Jan 31, 2014
    Damn. Not bad, didn't think I'd like a Romantic Drama movie, but I enjoyed it thoroughly.
    A lot of the movies I watch seem to drag on at some points, some are tedious to watch at some parts. This one doesn't have that, and that's precisely why I believe it deserves around 8.5 (closer to 9 though).
    Woody Allen is really good at character development, and the actors really did a good job of conveying Woody's characters.
    Recommended.

An atypical Allen film. Some of his usual themes are present - in particular, his neuroses about sex and love - but this movie does not bear enough Allen hallmarks to single it out as his work.
    Allen can be literal-minded about his thematic polarities, but, in this movie, he has put actors with first-class temperament on the screen, and his writing is both crisp and ambivalent: he works everything out with a stringent thoroughness that still allows room for surprise.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Offers potent romantic fantasy elements for men and women and a cast that should produce the best commercial returns for a Woody Allen film since "Match Point."