2.7

1. EllenA
    Jan 31, 2009
    While not the best crime/thriller movie, it certainly deserves a far better rating than most critics gave it. The only obstacles to being a truly great movie are the low budget, and bits of clumsy acting here and there. For the most part, the acting is actually average, though at times it jumps to life with both brutality and real human feeling. It's also worth pointing out, that While not the best crime/thriller movie, it certainly deserves a far better rating than most critics gave it. The only obstacles to being a truly great movie are the low budget, and bits of clumsy acting here and there. For the most part, the acting is actually average, though at times it jumps to life with both brutality and real human feeling. It's also worth pointing out, that gritty and disturbing or not, this movie is truly original. The fact of having never seen anything like it actually heightens the suspense. Any possible predictability is thrown off base, and this without resorting to many true plot twists. All said, this is a movie with a tragic hero, a scary villain, and an unusual story with bits of black humor. It is clearly not an attempt at the kind of TRULY vulgar humor of, for example, "Clerks 2", though it seems to be perceived this way by some reviewers. While this movie has it's definite flaws, it's not crap, even if it shows us human ugliness at it's worst. Expand
  2. Oct 6, 2013
    A ragged low-budget dark comedy involving 2 ill-fitting styles of TV satire and sexual violence. Brian O'Halloran takes on the tricky role with fearlessness and impressive range. He holds the films tonal shifts in rhythm and amusing turns by writer-director Bryan Johnson and a talkative Kevin Smith as a TV exec keep the lighter material moving along. Jerry Lewkowitz as the man whoA ragged low-budget dark comedy involving 2 ill-fitting styles of TV satire and sexual violence. Brian O'Halloran takes on the tricky role with fearlessness and impressive range. He holds the films tonal shifts in rhythm and amusing turns by writer-director Bryan Johnson and a talkative Kevin Smith as a TV exec keep the lighter material moving along. Jerry Lewkowitz as the man who assaults and then tries to blackmail O'Hallorn is indeed a scary and effective villain. I don't know if I plan to watch this again even though I own but anybody willing to take the ride it's an involving and oddly effective film. Expand
  3. BrianC.
    Oct 15, 2002
    Garbage. The acting is horrible. The story is insipid and senseless. If you gave an infinite number of monkeys an infinite number of video cameras, by the law of everages one would shoot a masterpiece. The rest of them would shoot something far superior to "Vulgar."
  4. NotIan
    Dec 29, 2002
    This was an amazing movie, and yes it was harsh, brutal and the subject matter was not for the faint of heart, but under it all the movie is actually really really good. I just bought it on DVD, and watched it, as soon it was over I sat there and let the credits roll so I could really take in what I saw. I loved this movie, even with every bad review these so called critics gave it, I This was an amazing movie, and yes it was harsh, brutal and the subject matter was not for the faint of heart, but under it all the movie is actually really really good. I just bought it on DVD, and watched it, as soon it was over I sat there and let the credits roll so I could really take in what I saw. I loved this movie, even with every bad review these so called critics gave it, I think it is awesome, so 10 it is, 10 I ave it, and it should have more than 1/100 as a Metacritic rating, but what the f... do critics know. Expand
  5. Ciggy
    Aug 7, 2002
    You fu..ing clown shoes don't know the first thing about film.
  6. LoddeD.
    Jul 9, 2003
    The most vile, disgusting, pointless, utterly unimaginative garbage ever made in any aspect of entertainment, not only in the world, but in the entire galaxy. For anyone who might be interested in the R rating for disturbing sexual violence, lets just say you will be gravely mistaken if you expect a slight sense of redemption from a glimpse of beautiful breasts or booty. Homosexuality The most vile, disgusting, pointless, utterly unimaginative garbage ever made in any aspect of entertainment, not only in the world, but in the entire galaxy. For anyone who might be interested in the R rating for disturbing sexual violence, lets just say you will be gravely mistaken if you expect a slight sense of redemption from a glimpse of beautiful breasts or booty. Homosexuality does not even begin to describe the ideas portrayed in this awful excuse for filmmaking. Kevin Smith should quit now, it's obvious he has scraped the bottom of the barrel, and has no more original thoughts to contribute to the world. Collapse
  7. Jay.G.
    Aug 5, 2003
    Johnson tried to "smith" up his dialogue, but obviously wasn't smith. Acting could've been MUCH better. Yet, I felt the stroy was very dark and compelling.
  8. RobinK.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Well, it certainly caught my attention. Graphic, violent, sick, frightening because you know this sht has happened (well, maybe not to a clown). I found myself getting bored in spots though. It was a long, but interesting half hour.
  9. JakeH.
    Jun 24, 2008
    I don't know what anyone else thinks.... but this was horrifically disurbing
  10. JackL.
    Oct 4, 2002
    Shocking doesn't mean it has worth. Worst movie of the year.
  11. k-doglambo
    Jun 12, 2002
    I loved the man on man action.
  12. MarkO.
    Sep 6, 2002
    Worst thing I ever saw. I want my money back.
  13. FormerlyKnownAsGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jul 13, 2003
    I'm not easily offended. I have a very high threshold for sickness, provided it's entertaining, faintly tongue-in-cheek sickness. This movie uses male rape (represented by a scene so horrible that Gaspar Noé would cough a little) as a plot point. Thank you, goodbye. Kevin Smith: please don't quit, but do in future get a second opinion.
  14. Rob
    Jul 2, 2003
    This movie was pointless and disgusting. Whomever is calling it, "brilliant", "an undiscovered gem", or "true art", needs to get their pretentiously artsy heads out of their respective asses.
  15. JonathanH.
    Apr 19, 2004
    Bad in every single way, which means it'll most likely become a cult film.
  16. AustinA.
    Mar 10, 2005
    The name says it all.
  17. NanrekK.
    Sep 16, 2005
    Watching this movie is almost as painful as getting kicked in the groin!
  18. StephenC.
    May 8, 2008
    An insult to amateur filmmaking. I have friends who's college movies were better than this very badly acted and written and directed movie that wants to be "indy" but looks like someone shot it with a camcorder. Didn't find it disturbing because I didn't buy a minute of the movie. Terrible.
  19. JohnC
    Jun 14, 2009
    Ugly, absurd and absolutely terrible. So dirty you will need a few showers after this one.
  20. RichardP.
    Dec 8, 2003
    This is not a bad movie. It's a low budget movie. It is, perhaps ,disturbing. It's not bad though. I think those that find the homo=sexual rape scene so "vulgar" (it is not graphic) would,most likely, not be similarly offended were it a hetro-sexual rape. In short: Worth seeing.
  21. DaneY.
    Jan 16, 2004
    A frightening and disturbing piece. The thing about this movie is that it's shot with style, emotion and energy... and it really has something to say. Johnson meshes quirky, campy, cute and scrappy little comedy with horrifying drama scenes. It doesn't have a leaden moral or a lot of comedy in it, but here is a movie which euro-film lovers would love. Maybe this movie should A frightening and disturbing piece. The thing about this movie is that it's shot with style, emotion and energy... and it really has something to say. Johnson meshes quirky, campy, cute and scrappy little comedy with horrifying drama scenes. It doesn't have a leaden moral or a lot of comedy in it, but here is a movie which euro-film lovers would love. Maybe this movie should have been releaseh in Europe. It probably would have played better overseas. In the US, imagination is often unappreciated. So much has ben done with a micro-budget. But many Smith-fans saw this movie to see more of the same. No wonder they were so disappointed. Oh, there's some Smith here and there, but above all, this is an exploitation piece that hits all the notes. Maybe it tries to be too many things, but it's a real piece of filmmaking. When the victim has been raped, you can genuinely feel his pain in a way I don't think has been captured on film. I bought the DVD and I'm glad. Big props to writer/director/actor/editor Bryan Johnson. Expand
  22. Sam
    Oct 16, 2005
    Absoloutley overated. Notice the 5 on the metacritic score, YOU FOLLOW?!?

Overwhelming dislike - based on 10 Critics

The acting tends toward the cartoonish (not in a good way), and the story is built on a series of illogical motivations.
  2. The only thing shocking about it, however, is the degree to which self-congratulatory gutter exhibitionism has become the degraded ash end of indie ''edge.''
  3. Reviewed by: Henry Sheehan
    Johnson does seem to have some psycho-sexual ax to grind amid all this visual and sexual crudity. For instance, women barely figure in the action, with Will taking on various stereotypical feminine attributes. But good luck finding meaning in all this mess.