Watchmen

8.1

1. KerryL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is the best movie based on a comic book/graphic novel I have ever seen. The acting is spectacular, and every detail that had to be included is, without feeling watered down. The movie transitions between past and present well, not causing confusion about what is taking place.
  2. KarlK.
    Mar 6, 2009
    The best super hero movie ever made, and one of the best films ever made. Each character is distinct, all of their own unique perspective on the human condition, and all are terrible and terrific, just like us.
  3. MichaelR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I absolutely loved this movie! Best superhero movie so far to be made, in my opinion. The special effects were amazing!
  4. RaymondG.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Loved it. Ignore Mainstream critics, unless you consider yourself mainstream, aka average and uninteresting. Movie is for those that don't grovel at Madagascar and Benjamin Button.
  5. JoshD.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Saw the midnight release and thought it was awesome! Great directing, acting, writing, and soundtrack. If you have read the comic go see it and if your new to watchmen then I think you'll find this to be a great movie on it's own merit.
  6. Turner
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just watched this for the second time, and enjoyed it vastly more the 2nd time. It's so true to the spirit of the graphic novel, it's a totally immersive experience. I really liked it the first viewing, but really loved it the second. Can't wait for the blu-ray with all the additional scenes!
  7. CameronS
    Mar 10, 2009
    It was almost like the novel and i get that nowadays american public cannot sit or like a movie that makes you think that is what the american cinema once was in its hayday.
  8. richardg
    Mar 14, 2009
    Glad to see this movie. It was awesome. It should please the fans of the comic. To me the movie matched exactly the comic. I can understand the hate, this ideas in this story are a bit complicated but the movie kept its form compared to the comic. The movie itself is a historic and visual restoration of the comic. For that am greatly thankful. That's all i wanted and i got it. Glad to see this movie. It was awesome. It should please the fans of the comic. To me the movie matched exactly the comic. I can understand the hate, this ideas in this story are a bit complicated but the movie kept its form compared to the comic. The movie itself is a historic and visual restoration of the comic. For that am greatly thankful. That's all i wanted and i got it. I'm glad it was done this way. I didn't want watchmen story to change. It was the best! Expand
  9. Will
    Mar 6, 2009
    read "Watchmen" 7 days ago - that was great! just watched the film and i was blown away Great Film - Great Sound Track
  10. AlexB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Action sequences were perfectly shot, excellent casting, great direction, the acting really made you feel the hopelessness and despair of their world. Loved the book, loved the movie, enough said.
  11. BretG.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Saw it as a sneak peek early screening. Was blown away by how faithful many of the scenes were transferred from the graphic novel, a huge fan service. The altered ending was not surprising, but not a total loss either. For die hard fans, this is a must see. For people not familiar with the book, they may be less inclined to do so or care to understand the story. Overall, it's a Saw it as a sneak peek early screening. Was blown away by how faithful many of the scenes were transferred from the graphic novel, a huge fan service. The altered ending was not surprising, but not a total loss either. For die hard fans, this is a must see. For people not familiar with the book, they may be less inclined to do so or care to understand the story. Overall, it's a beautiful story full of vengeance, carnage, and mystery that compels the viewer to want more. But don't bring your kids. Expand
  12. DaveR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Near perfect adaptation of the source, superb casting, the ending has been changed slightly to good effect. didn't pull any punches - very enjoyable.
  13. NateR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It was extremely faithful to the book and was wonderfully well done. However, at times it was extremely cheesy at times (the sex scene)
  14. Bret
    Mar 6, 2009
    Everything the book was, with a better ending. Superb movie!
  15. JamesB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I just saw the midnight viewing. This may already tip you off that I liked the graphic novel. If you also are a fanboy, you will love this movie. Hands down. I wish I could give it a different score for people who hadn't seen it. We brought along a friend who knew nothing about Watchmen except that it had a giant blue guy in it, and he loved it, too. Didn't understand it as I just saw the midnight viewing. This may already tip you off that I liked the graphic novel. If you also are a fanboy, you will love this movie. Hands down. I wish I could give it a different score for people who hadn't seen it. We brought along a friend who knew nothing about Watchmen except that it had a giant blue guy in it, and he loved it, too. Didn't understand it as much, though, so he said he'd give it an 8. Expand
  16. DavidB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    As a fan of Watchmen, this movie was great, like watching the graphic novel. Those negative reviews out there are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, I had high expectations, I did with the Lord of the Rings too, but I wasn't disappointed then and I haven't been now. What Peter Jackson did for fantasy, Zack Snyder has done for the graphic novel. He is a genius and this masterpiece As a fan of Watchmen, this movie was great, like watching the graphic novel. Those negative reviews out there are absolutely ridiculous. Sure, I had high expectations, I did with the Lord of the Rings too, but I wasn't disappointed then and I haven't been now. What Peter Jackson did for fantasy, Zack Snyder has done for the graphic novel. He is a genius and this masterpiece shows it. It's gritty and epic, not missing out on the depth behind everything. But don't just take my word for it, sure Watchmen is not for everyone, it's a little more graphic than I expected, but it fit the setting. If you're up for a thrill ride, give Watchmen a shot. Expand
  17. JustinH.
    Mar 6, 2009
    One of the most well paced, perfectly acted and socially relevant movies I have ever seen
  18. JosephD.
    Mar 6, 2009
    This is easily the best movie I've ever seen.
  19. Stevie
    Mar 7, 2009
    Don't know how this scored so low. It is incredible.
  20. GrantL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This movie is a visual masterpiece. All the characters are classic, and he story could not be any better.
  21. JackC.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This movie was great. I could see how people wouldn't like it, but personally I read and loved the comic and this was a very faithful and entertaining movie.
  22. AndrewB.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Great movie! I loved the novel, and I was very pleased with this interpretation of it!
  23. DaverS.
    Mar 7, 2009
    I love the comic books. And I loved the movie. I mean, the comic book was epic and there was no way they were going to be able to fit all the information in the movie, unless the movie was about 6 or 7 hours long, perhaps longer. Yes the movie looked like the cinematography was lifted straight out of the comic books, but i don't understand why some others think this is such a bad thing.
  24. mitchellowen
    Mar 7, 2009
    Definitely one of the best comic book movies to date. It admittedly falls apart once it starts rushing things after the prison break scene, but the first two hours are so beautifully done, it makes up for it. Best viewed as an homage to the book. Voted 10 to balance out this ridiculous 56.
  25. GeorgeL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    I loved it. Perfect soundtrack, with Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen topping it perfectly. Stuck to the graphic novel only as much as it needed to. I loved the slow-motion scenes and the actor for the midget in jail. I expected Kramer to be running in any second. ("It's a riot, Mickey!")
  26. MelissaB.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This is a movie without a roadmap. It heads for uncharted territory and doesn't give you a sense of where it is going. If you need the familiarity of the same old action film or ages old story told again and again, this movie is not for you. If you want something different and like doing unexpected things at 3am, then this is your movie. If Hollywood and the Academy are being honest This is a movie without a roadmap. It heads for uncharted territory and doesn't give you a sense of where it is going. If you need the familiarity of the same old action film or ages old story told again and again, this movie is not for you. If you want something different and like doing unexpected things at 3am, then this is your movie. If Hollywood and the Academy are being honest about treating "Superhero Movies" as legit drama, then please consider Jackie Earle Haley for a Best Supporting Actor nod. Full disclosure: I am a female and although in general I have enjoyed graphic novels and comics in the past, I never read the Watchmen. Expand
  27. DonnieH.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Great flick!, I am a SciFi fan and never read the book, but it was a great flick!
  28. IainF.
    Mar 8, 2009
    My expectations were so high, I was scared that the film wouldn't even closely resemble the picture in my head of how it would play out. Yes, I was a huge fan of the graphic novel, as was everyone who's read it, yet the film truly does it justice. Ignore the negative reviews, go and see it and make up a decision for yourselves. This film is the new Dark Knight: A new frontier in My expectations were so high, I was scared that the film wouldn't even closely resemble the picture in my head of how it would play out. Yes, I was a huge fan of the graphic novel, as was everyone who's read it, yet the film truly does it justice. Ignore the negative reviews, go and see it and make up a decision for yourselves. This film is the new Dark Knight: A new frontier in comic book movies. I was left on the edge of my seat for the entire duration of the movie. Expand
  29. NicholasK.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Although not quite as amazing as the original, this is by far the best graphic novel-to-film adaptation I have ever seen. The few changes that had to be made were intelligent and worked well. Overall this movie makes the great story that is Watchmen accessible to all.
  30. RickeyR.
    Mar 9, 2009
    Watchmen follows the novel and turns it into a spectacular and awe-inspiring film.
  31. Yuri
    Mar 9, 2009
    I absolutely loved this movie. I have yet to finish reading the novel but nonetheless I was amazed with the story and characters and how artful every detail was rendered. I loved how long the movie was too, I often feel when I walk out of movie theaters that the movie that I saw was not long enough or that more could have been done but I had none of these feelings for Watchmen. See this I absolutely loved this movie. I have yet to finish reading the novel but nonetheless I was amazed with the story and characters and how artful every detail was rendered. I loved how long the movie was too, I often feel when I walk out of movie theaters that the movie that I saw was not long enough or that more could have been done but I had none of these feelings for Watchmen. See this movie and then read the novel. Both will blow you away! I cant wait for dvd release I'm getting the highest/best edition there is! Expand
  32. VinceS.
    Mar 9, 2009
    This movie was intended for the fanboys of the original graphic novel. It was the best adaptation I could have wished for from the original source material. This story is not the average super hero action film and is more of a psychological thriller that really needs intelligence to fully appreciate it's message.
  33. PatL
    Mar 9, 2009
    Never read the novels (wanting to now though). An amazing, original movie for a change. Actually forces viewers to think, while providing amazing effects, and near-sickening brutality. A bit long, but never to a boring extent. Every ten minutes blood gushed, there was a smoking hot woman or something interesting was said. No complaints here...best comic book movie ever.
  34. NathanH>
    Mar 9, 2009
    10 thumps up gore,accion,story,great combination of music, certanly the best super hero movie of all times
  35. HudsonT
    Apr 2, 2009
    The reviewer below me, Tim, is an extremely ignorant human being. He claims that anyone who likes this movie lives in their parents basement, and has their head up their butt hole. Clearly ridiculous, with opponents like this I need to make little argument to prove my point. To begin, I thought the fight scenes in the movie were very well done, and very exhilirating. I thought the story The reviewer below me, Tim, is an extremely ignorant human being. He claims that anyone who likes this movie lives in their parents basement, and has their head up their butt hole. Clearly ridiculous, with opponents like this I need to make little argument to prove my point. To begin, I thought the fight scenes in the movie were very well done, and very exhilirating. I thought the story was an absolute classic, the ending probably being my favorite part. Yes I did have a few qualms with the movie, such as Silk Spectre's acting job, but nothing too serious. I thought the special effects were beautiful. The music during specific scenes such as "The Times are A-Changing" and "Sound of Silence" were meticulously placed. Overall I thought this movie was very good, not only was it thoroughly entertaining, but it also delved deep into philosophical and political issues and portrayed a message that left with each viewer. I truly think this movie is the best so far this year, and it clearly merits a 10/10 in my opinion. Expand
  36. buzznjackallastname
    Apr 4, 2009
    Excellent comic book to movie translation. Visual effects were stunning, acting and plot were very good. I believe that people that didn't enjoy the film was for two major factors. 1. They didn't read the comic book and couldn't follow the complex story involving multiple protagonist. 2. They read the comic and expected every single detail to be included in a two hour 40 Excellent comic book to movie translation. Visual effects were stunning, acting and plot were very good. I believe that people that didn't enjoy the film was for two major factors. 1. They didn't read the comic book and couldn't follow the complex story involving multiple protagonist. 2. They read the comic and expected every single detail to be included in a two hour 40 minute movie, which of course would require the movie to have been over 6 hours judging by the motion comics. Expand
  37. wayney
    Jul 23, 2009
    I have not read the graphic novel, and don't intend to. This film suffices as a wonderful testimony on all our dreams, faults and self delusions. The world we seek to dreate is the world we have and it is really ugly and dark. There are so many references here to religion, politics, relationships, greed, hope etc. and I found it literally amazing. It brought me back to the dyas I I have not read the graphic novel, and don't intend to. This film suffices as a wonderful testimony on all our dreams, faults and self delusions. The world we seek to dreate is the world we have and it is really ugly and dark. There are so many references here to religion, politics, relationships, greed, hope etc. and I found it literally amazing. It brought me back to the dyas I sneaked inot see Clockwork Orange and was never the same again. It is a superhero movie as a vehicle only to shatter our smugness and should not really be in the Spiderman and Batman argument (despite Heaths brilliant part coming close to the same mayhem in us all) but I think in Watchmen we have a much grander canvas and a more unsettling image. Beyond all the technical brilliance it has a real story to tell, and you wont feel the same way again. I bought the soundrack and each song now has new meaning. Expand
  38. JonathanS.
    Aug 1, 2009
    Well I'm a type of person love to watch every type of movie and enjoy the movie i analyze the movie and i think watchmen is a great movie with amazing and the other that surprise me is the movie explained the origins and why the heroes take the path they take this is a good point but other movies don't explain very well the origins this movie is long but is a great movie i like Well I'm a type of person love to watch every type of movie and enjoy the movie i analyze the movie and i think watchmen is a great movie with amazing and the other that surprise me is the movie explained the origins and why the heroes take the path they take this is a good point but other movies don't explain very well the origins this movie is long but is a great movie i like the longest movies because if a pid for a blue ray or i go to theater i want to enjoy and stay for a long time this is great and i hate people don't appreciate and analyze the movies!! Expand
  39. kc
    Mar 10, 2009
    I rate this movie two blue dongs down. The fanboys' perfect ratings are seriously misleading to the average movie-goer. The movie was boring, cliched, and devoid of sympathetic characters. By the end, i was rooting for the nukes.
  40. Seans
    Mar 12, 2009
    I thought this movie was great very true to the book which is pretty hard to say for most books turned into movies.
  41. JulianR
    Mar 12, 2009
    The first thing you have to learn about this movie is: if you never read the book it's not for you. I read the graphic novel and therefore understand the subtleties in the film. There was absolutley no way anyone could put the entire novel in and keep a reasonable time limit.
  42. YonatanJ
    Mar 13, 2009
    Perfectly captures the brilliant graphic novel.
  43. IsaacN
    Mar 15, 2009
    Ok, I know some people might hate me but. I don't think the technology was right for this movie still. I still think It's almost an unfilmable movie. It was great amazing. It didn't catch me but it was good for what it was supposed to be.
  44. R.L
    Mar 10, 2009
    Over hyped? No. A beautiful piece of movie making? Most definitely, the Watchmen is one of the best Anti-hero series ever made. I've had the innate pleasure of reading the graphic novel and I've just seen the movie and let me tell you it was exceptional, the movie had almost captured the graphic novel and completely put it no film, I had never been thus impressed in my entire Over hyped? No. A beautiful piece of movie making? Most definitely, the Watchmen is one of the best Anti-hero series ever made. I've had the innate pleasure of reading the graphic novel and I've just seen the movie and let me tell you it was exceptional, the movie had almost captured the graphic novel and completely put it no film, I had never been thus impressed in my entire life by a comic book adaption. The Watchmen tells the story of a group of not so heroic heroes, and as the film states one of them is killed and now the rest have to find out why. The Watchmen is an amazing visual feat that no comic book adaption has ever come even close to before it has the same feel, the same style that the watchmen graphic novel did and I promise you, fans of the graphic novel will not be disappointed at all by this magnificent film, it's a treat for the eyes and the senses; and will keep you going all the way till the shocking end. Expand
  45. JoshW
    Mar 16, 2009
    I had never heard of Watchmen until recently so I decided to but the graphic novel before seeing the film. I know the hardcore fanboys are getting ridiculously distraught over what has been changed etc but in my opinion Zack Snyder has taken a good book that in places was boring and downright stupid (squid anyone?) and made it into a brilliant film that stays faithful to the novel whilst I had never heard of Watchmen until recently so I decided to but the graphic novel before seeing the film. I know the hardcore fanboys are getting ridiculously distraught over what has been changed etc but in my opinion Zack Snyder has taken a good book that in places was boring and downright stupid (squid anyone?) and made it into a brilliant film that stays faithful to the novel whilst also improving many scenes and especially improving the end (especially between Nite Owl and Ozzy). Well made, well acted (nixon looked idiotic though with THAT nose) and I cannot wait for the blu ray edition. Expand
  46. Kewlkat
    Mar 10, 2009
    Not since The Dark Knight have comic book movies felt so real. And now, not since the Watchmen has that premise been so built upon.
  47. KellyO'O.
    Mar 20, 2009
    Brilliant, just brilliant. Snyder did the impossible and made a credible film version of the greatest comic ever written. I hated 300, but this is way more intellectual, super hero movies cannot be the same after this, it's on another level.
  48. DerekH
    Mar 23, 2009
    This was a very faithful translation of the book. It shed only the unnecessary parts and kept the theme. The soundtrack and effects were well chosen.
  49. TimL
    Mar 23, 2009
    A fantastic adaptation to a novel considered unfilmable. This movie certainly won't appease the fanboys (but what actualy does?). The most drastic change in the plot between novel and movie was probably necessary to keep the movie under 3 hours long. The pacing of the various stories does well in keeping the overall movie moving. The use of The Times They Are A-Changin to tell the A fantastic adaptation to a novel considered unfilmable. This movie certainly won't appease the fanboys (but what actualy does?). The most drastic change in the plot between novel and movie was probably necessary to keep the movie under 3 hours long. The pacing of the various stories does well in keeping the overall movie moving. The use of The Times They Are A-Changin to tell the tale of the Minutemen is an ingenious way to give a background to the history of masked vigilanties. Having read the novel before seeing the movie, I have to say that people who expected every page to be present in the movie are dreaming. The screenplay holds onto Moore's ideas of a lost society and anyone who is angry Moore didn't take part in this adaptation have to realize he wouldn't have taken part in any retelling of his novel. The actors do an excellent job of portraying these beloved masked crusaders and I personally think every actor was perfect for their role. If this film was released later in the year we could easily be seeing James Earl Haley nominated for a Best Supporting Actor nomination. People have to go see this movie for what it is, an adaptation to what Time magazine called one of the 100 best novels of the past 80 years. Expand
  50. donm
    Mar 24, 2009
    I knew nothing of the book or tghe characters. I found the movie experience thrilling from the first moment. It aimed high and had serious themes under the story. A great movie going experience and arresting visuals - fresh and yet satisfying.
  51. GiovanniC.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Zack Snyder's Watchmen is an amazing movie. Zack Snyder does a fantastic job delivering Alan Moore's novel onto the big screen. Zack sets that mood in the world that Alan sets in the novel the world is exactly like ours just with these costume characters in the middle. The acting is top notch especially with Dr. Manhattan from being a wimpy little scientist to never feeling fear Zack Snyder's Watchmen is an amazing movie. Zack Snyder does a fantastic job delivering Alan Moore's novel onto the big screen. Zack sets that mood in the world that Alan sets in the novel the world is exactly like ours just with these costume characters in the middle. The acting is top notch especially with Dr. Manhattan from being a wimpy little scientist to never feeling fear for the rest of his days. The soundtrack was simply epic! Every scene has a tune that sets the mood so perfectly, especially the opening credits with the Bob Dylan song. The action is brutal and non-stop never ceasing to keep the audience up in their seats. Watchmen is surely a movie you can't miss. Expand
  52. ChrisV.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Those looking for a story like Spiderman, or Iron Man will leave disappointed, however I don't think we've ever seen a deeper comic book based movie. Without reading the graphic novel prior, I really enjoyed the movie and found it very easy to jump right into an alternate 1985...
  53. JasonR.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Just WOW! Don't remember the last time, that a movie impressed me that much. Actually I have no idea why so many review sites don't like Watchmen at all. It has nearly everything a movie should have and what I like the most that it is so different. The style, the setting, the humour: I likes it all. I have never read a Watchmen comic, but I could follow the whole (awesome) plot, Just WOW! Don't remember the last time, that a movie impressed me that much. Actually I have no idea why so many review sites don't like Watchmen at all. It has nearly everything a movie should have and what I like the most that it is so different. The style, the setting, the humour: I likes it all. I have never read a Watchmen comic, but I could follow the whole (awesome) plot, even though it's sometimes not easy. And...I think I will buy some of those Watchmen comic books.... Expand
  54. MerryJ.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Very visual, dark, and great to see more than once. one of the best of the year despite a lot of no name critics giving it a low rating.
  55. TimN.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I'm starting to think you have to be a fan of the book to love this movie. Otherwise, it's just too much to process in one viewing.
  56. MarkW.
    Mar 6, 2009
    An astounding adaptation to the big screen. Pitch perfect, accessible, entertaining, thought provoking. I just hate to say this but... I liked it better than the graphic novel. People will make noise and cry about it's departures from the graphic novel but it's a movie. Hard choices needed to be made and the director et al made them well. Low points were the actress who played An astounding adaptation to the big screen. Pitch perfect, accessible, entertaining, thought provoking. I just hate to say this but... I liked it better than the graphic novel. People will make noise and cry about it's departures from the graphic novel but it's a movie. Hard choices needed to be made and the director et al made them well. Low points were the actress who played Jupiter (she looked 25 not 40) and Ozymandius. A couple of times the exposition was a little preachy. Overall, this movie is art for the masses. Expand
  57. ChrisM.
    Mar 6, 2009
    I am a long time and huge fan of the book and I was very happy with the film
  58. Jason
    Mar 6, 2009
    There really is one of best movies ever made. Regardless of whether you've read the comic or not you will enjoy this film. Great action , beautiful cinematography(imax even better) , a complex and engaging story (streamlined from the comic but they had to , the movie would be 10 hours long if they hadn't) I really feel that the director picked the best scene and the strongest There really is one of best movies ever made. Regardless of whether you've read the comic or not you will enjoy this film. Great action , beautiful cinematography(imax even better) , a complex and engaging story (streamlined from the comic but they had to , the movie would be 10 hours long if they hadn't) I really feel that the director picked the best scene and the strongest moments to translate into film. Even the acting was perfect, particularly Rorschach. It really a movie you must see to believe. Expand
  59. ToddB.
    Mar 6, 2009
    This movie was fantastic. Best comic to film adaptation ever, and I enjoyed more than The Dark Knight. Visuals are inspired, music is fantastic, and great story. I can't wait to see it again. Kudos, Zack.
  60. AlexV.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Unbelievable imagery and vision. Action pack sequences with romance in between. A true Masterpiece. The graphic novel will never be topped, but the movie gives a unique demonstration of Snyder's vivid imagination. Kudos to all cast and crew that developed an ultimate classic into an explosion of beauty phenomenon in 2 hours and 35 minutes. p.s. great job Tyler Bates with an Unbelievable imagery and vision. Action pack sequences with romance in between. A true Masterpiece. The graphic novel will never be topped, but the movie gives a unique demonstration of Snyder's vivid imagination. Kudos to all cast and crew that developed an ultimate classic into an explosion of beauty phenomenon in 2 hours and 35 minutes. p.s. great job Tyler Bates with an INCREDIBLE soundtrack Expand
  61. Deneb
    Mar 6, 2009
    With Watchman, the superhero genre in film has taken another couple steps forward and set the bar much higher than it was before. The emotional impact towards the film and initial impression is simply that it is amazing. Every detail within the film, from the script, setting, atmosphere, special effects, character development, and narrative the film is superb. The director and writers With Watchman, the superhero genre in film has taken another couple steps forward and set the bar much higher than it was before. The emotional impact towards the film and initial impression is simply that it is amazing. Every detail within the film, from the script, setting, atmosphere, special effects, character development, and narrative the film is superb. The director and writers should be given credit for understanding that material throughout. Expand
  62. DaveW.
    Mar 6, 2009
    It could be better, but after all it´s a great history and a great film!
  63. JuanF.
    Mar 6, 2009
    Sets the new standard in adaptation while preserving the intent and spirit of the original comic.
  64. ObieS.
    Mar 7, 2009
    I thought is was great. it follows the comic pretty close. but for the non reader its just as entertaining.
  65. TylerM.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Unlike anything I've ever seen, original and very very deep
  66. EricG
    Mar 7, 2009
    I loved it. It is the most entertaining film I have seen since the LOTR trilogy.
  67. ddsdssddsd
    Mar 7, 2009
    Ignore the bad reviews, if you read them youll find theyre extremely badly written. if you look on IMDB the film has an 8.5 which is very good for the site. Its a great film, im a huge fan of the novel and found they seem to compliment each other, seeing rorschach and manhattan in motion is amazing. Remember this is also Zack snyders ADAPTATION of the book, not an exact replica.
  68. VittorioR.
    Mar 7, 2009
    If you're a fan of the comic books, please go see this movie. Only you can see the hard work that Warner Brothers has put into including all the suttle nuances. Those who have not read the Graphic novel, will likely feel overwhelmed, this was intended purposely. If you look a majority of these reviews both user and critic you will see those who have read the graphic novel, adored it, If you're a fan of the comic books, please go see this movie. Only you can see the hard work that Warner Brothers has put into including all the suttle nuances. Those who have not read the Graphic novel, will likely feel overwhelmed, this was intended purposely. If you look a majority of these reviews both user and critic you will see those who have read the graphic novel, adored it, and those who didn't found it average. It's because you pick up the allegorical, and biblical references if you've read the novel. If you haven't they will fly past your head because you're not prepared. It's a deep movie on several layers, although sill not as deep as the book. Overall fantastic movie, don't let the ninth grade reviews who don't know what allegory or symbolism to change your opinion of this movie. Expand
  69. CharlesL.
    Mar 7, 2009
    amazing movie. loved every second of it
  70. BillH.
    Mar 7, 2009
    This was a great movie, the pacing is done in a manner which directly mimics Dr. Manhattan's removed perception of events and reality, reviewers are really missing the point of this, I don't get what they are all banging it up for, yes it's a little long, but there's so much to pack into one film, I could see how the director's cut might actually improve the This was a great movie, the pacing is done in a manner which directly mimics Dr. Manhattan's removed perception of events and reality, reviewers are really missing the point of this, I don't get what they are all banging it up for, yes it's a little long, but there's so much to pack into one film, I could see how the director's cut might actually improve the viewing experience! Expand
  71. DavidR.
    Mar 7, 2009
    Kudos to Zack Snyder and the cast and crew of this amazing adaption of the graphic novel. I can't wait to see the extended edition.
  72. CamP.
    Mar 7, 2009
    While some things from the graphic novel are left on the cutting room floor, the heart and soul of it are still there! The movie is an extremely faithful adaptation, going so far as to making each scene and line in the movie a direct recitation of the graphic novel. Mind-blowingly good graphics and soundtrack as well.
  73. DonQuixote
    Mar 8, 2009
    An outstanding postmodern exploration of the superhero concept.
  74. DavidK.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Faithful to the comic, movie was interesting and moved smoothly between the different characters.
  75. ElCid
    Mar 8, 2009
    Just a masterful, masterful work. Visually stunning, perfectly directed, and brutal and violent when it needs to be.
  76. BigM.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Wow, I was totally blown away by this movie. What a great fantasy. The reason I go to the movies is to escape reality and this was the best escape I've had in a long time.
  77. O.O>
    Mar 8, 2009
    One of the most incredible superhero movies i've ever seen. Don't believe the critics!
  78. KyleF.
    Mar 8, 2009
    This movie was incredible, the incredibly dark, deep tale was told perfectly.
  79. AndyD.
    Mar 8, 2009
    Not familiar with the book......yet. I was blown away by the scope and ambition of this. Who cares if it 'fails' by any detailed standards? It's a classic. See it.
  80. MarcH
    Mar 8, 2009
    Brilliant film...people who give this movie below an 8 wouldn't appreciate a good film is it slapped them in the face. This is the best comic book movie adaptation ever made!
  81. FredF.
    Mar 9, 2009
    I saw the movie before reading the book, and it's amazing. I'm currently halfway through the book and I'm amazed by how closely the filmmakers actually stuck with it... Great movie.
  82. GunnerL.
    Mar 9, 2009
    this was an incredible movie. beatifully designed and fully realized. beats the heck out of the dozens of other super hero movies that are "decent fliks" this movie portrays the brutal reality of the realm of super heroes. a bit lengthy but a MUST SEE!
  83. TomBagby
    Mar 9, 2009
    I actually have seen this movie three times already. The people who give it 0 obviously have no brain or semblance of thought processes. This movie is great and the soundtrack is amazing. Go see it, it is amazing
  84. JC
    Mar 9, 2009
    i dont understand why people didnt like this movie, my only complaint was that it was so long
    it stuck to the source material for the most part, the action was great, and zack snyder actually showed the characters history and problems which is something i expected him to ditch in favor of more action scenes.
    people just dont want to like this movie, ask one person and theyll say its not
    people just dont want to like this movie, ask one person and theyll say its not enough like the graphic novel, ask someone else and theyll say it was too much of a direct interpretation. some people say its too long, others say it wasnt long enough. People are just really bitchy and half no attention span, thats why a lot of people didnt like this movie, i mean the acting was freakin great, people bitched that some of the characters were emotionless, BECAUSE THATS HOW THEY WERE IN THE NOVEL YOU IDIOTS. Snyder just tried too hard to please everyone, but honestly, this has to be the best interpretation of a graphic novel or comic book ever made, and before any of you even think the words The Dark Knight, yeah it was great but it really had almost nothing to do with the comics except for the character names. So if you are thinking of going to see watchmen, just be prepared for a long movie and if theres not a fight scene every 5 minutes, dont bitch about it just because you have A-D-fuckin-D
  85. JacobP.
    Mar 9, 2009
    People who give this movie a low rating are either fans of the comic who are angry that they didn't make the film like it was in their own head. This is the best movie I've seen in a long, long time. It blows 'Dark Knight' out of the water.
  86. RobbieM
    Apr 26, 2009
    I really liked this movie, i just don't get why so much people are bashing this movie to death.
  87. fabios
    Apr 5, 2009
    I am really glad that most of the users are actually putting positive comments I read the comic and watched the movie, the movie was great tons of action, a great story line, and to revive the book that rocked millions for so many years with a movie, is a big honor, snyder took something that not a lot of people know about and turned it into a movie, I am willing to watch watchmen more I am really glad that most of the users are actually putting positive comments I read the comic and watched the movie, the movie was great tons of action, a great story line, and to revive the book that rocked millions for so many years with a movie, is a big honor, snyder took something that not a lot of people know about and turned it into a movie, I am willing to watch watchmen more than twice in the movie theater it deserves that, sure it isn't as good as the dark knight, but atleast watchmen lived up to it's hype. Expand
  88. WickerB
    May 22, 2009
    There are going to be alot of damn good movies this year, but I doubt one of them will override the awesome experience that is the first time of seeing Watchmen. It was flawless, simply. It exacted the graphic novel in every element. I even liked the ending better in the movie. This is everything movies should be. July 21st, Bluray and dvd.
  89. AlexB
    May 6, 2009
    This is such a good adaptation. Fantastic film!!
  90. TJ
    Jul 15, 2009
    Astonishing, visual and viseral feast, edge of the seat for entire movie, story is highly absorbing, even as a "virgin" to the story.
  91. JoeF
    Oct 17, 2009
    Every super hero movie should be like this!
  92. EvanS
    Dec 7, 2009
    Brilliant. I am astonished by the low scores. The source material, of course, is brilliant in its own right, but the movie manages to take the book from ink and skillyfully put it into motion. Rorschach moves in a peculiar, practiced motion that seems perfect for his disturbed persona. Adrian is swift and graceful. I would suggest that this movie is not for everyone, which perhaps Brilliant. I am astonished by the low scores. The source material, of course, is brilliant in its own right, but the movie manages to take the book from ink and skillyfully put it into motion. Rorschach moves in a peculiar, practiced motion that seems perfect for his disturbed persona. Adrian is swift and graceful. I would suggest that this movie is not for everyone, which perhaps explains the low scores. The movie and the graphic novel both have complicated plots that you really won't get all of the first time through, which may put off the typical comic book movie goer. On the other hand, the brutal violence and over-the-top everything may offend people who don't typically go for this kind of movie. Freaking amazing. Expand
  93. RobB
    Mar 10, 2009
    Big fan of the graphic novel and was amazed at how great a job the director did at staying true to the book. sooo many times in the movie i thought to myself how perfect it was. how exactly the same the scene was as in the book. rorschach i my new fav character. he was incredible. i really loved how all of the actors in the movie are pretty much no names. yes they have all done stuff Big fan of the graphic novel and was amazed at how great a job the director did at staying true to the book. sooo many times in the movie i thought to myself how perfect it was. how exactly the same the scene was as in the book. rorschach i my new fav character. he was incredible. i really loved how all of the actors in the movie are pretty much no names. yes they have all done stuff before. but there isnt like a brad pit or any other big name in there. in my opinion that would have ruined the movie. I absolutely loved it. yes it was long but i only realized that when it was over and looked at my watch. I could have sat there longer. I cant wait for the blu ray. Expand
  94. KimberlyG
    Mar 11, 2009
    I thought the movie was pretty close to amazing. It met the expectations that I had from reading the graphic novel (with the exception of a few details that they left out). Rorschach and Silk Spectre II were dead on and all of their performances really reflected the deep psychological characteristics that each of the characters held. It is pretty long I guess, but regardless I would have I thought the movie was pretty close to amazing. It met the expectations that I had from reading the graphic novel (with the exception of a few details that they left out). Rorschach and Silk Spectre II were dead on and all of their performances really reflected the deep psychological characteristics that each of the characters held. It is pretty long I guess, but regardless I would have stayed in the theatre two extra hours to see more of it. It's not the stereotypical "super-hero movie", so I would advise you not to take your children to go see it unless they can handle seeing gore, nudity, and sexuality. But if you are a fellow comic book nerd like myself and enjoyed "300," "V for Vendetta," and "The Matrix".... then grab your popcorn and Raisenettes and enjoy a mindblowing movie with awesome music and killer performances!!! Expand
  95. ShivaS
    Mar 11, 2009
    I really loved the movie and though it was an excellent adaptation of the book. If I hadn't read the book multiple times, I am sure I would have been much more confused as they are trying to pack so much plot in. But pretty much everything was done with excellence.
  96. MichaelB
    Mar 10, 2009
    What can I say? I'm a huge fan of the book and was a total skeptic going in, but this film was better than I could have imagined. I've seen it twice, and you should, too.
  97. TonyM
    Mar 12, 2009
    One of the finest pieces of cinema it has ever been my privilege to witness. The graphic novel was brought to life on screen with a scintillating mix of style and substance.
  98. WayneA
    Mar 12, 2009
    Great adult oriented superhero flick. Purists to the graohic novel either say he was too faithful or not faithful enough. I loved the source material but kept that seperate in my mind while watching the movie and loved the movie. Bravo for giving us a R rated superhero flick.
  99. RyanL
    Mar 15, 2009
    While some people had a problem with the ending straying from that of the graphic novel I like it more because it gives it makes it more personal and direct to the story. Other than that it perfectly represents the novel (or as much as is possible in 2:45), which was perfect itself.
  100. CraigE
    Mar 16, 2009
    Apparently this is one of those movies that are either Loved or Hated...I Loved this movie - having just recently finished reading the graphic novel (which I had intended to for quite some time but was spurred into action upon the news of the movie) I was curious to see how it was adapted to the big screen. I was Entirely impressed. The casting was phenomenal, I thought each character Apparently this is one of those movies that are either Loved or Hated...I Loved this movie - having just recently finished reading the graphic novel (which I had intended to for quite some time but was spurred into action upon the news of the movie) I was curious to see how it was adapted to the big screen. I was Entirely impressed. The casting was phenomenal, I thought each character looked/acted/embodied their inked counterparts to a T. Obviously the movie was not able to delve completely into the social commentary and more subtle undertones that the book did, but I felt that what was omitted was probably for the better, due to the fact that it would most likely make for boring movie watching (as it was some of the more difficult reading to get through as well) I was intrigued the whole way through the movie and each characters story was so well portrayed that for me, the 2.5 hrs flew by...The movie did NOT feel as long as it was. My sister in law (who has not read the book) also liked it tremendously, and she can be a very harsh critic. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Okay, it isn't the graphic novel, but Zack Snyder clearly gives a toss, creating a smart, stylish, decent adaptation, if low on accessibility for the non-convert.
  2. Snyder and writers David Hayter and Alex Tse never find a reason for those unfamiliar with the graphic novel to care about any of this nonsense. And it is nonsense.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    The movie is ultimately undone by its own reverence; there's simply no room for these characters and stories to breathe of their own accord, and even the most fastidiously replicated scenes can feel glib and truncated.