Whatever Works

6.4

1. HeyGuys
    Nov 10, 2009
    When a mildly intelligent film comes to theatres, you can count on mediocre critics everywhere jumping at the chance to tear down something smart in an effort to make themselves seem smarter. It's boring, doodz. And it's not constructive either. This is one of a very small handful of thoughtful movies to come out this year. And because you give pass after pass to shoddy action When a mildly intelligent film comes to theatres, you can count on mediocre critics everywhere jumping at the chance to tear down something smart in an effort to make themselves seem smarter. It's boring, doodz. And it's not constructive either. This is one of a very small handful of thoughtful movies to come out this year. And because you give pass after pass to shoddy action movies and palatable romances, your affected snobbery just comes across as anti-intellectual. And I'm not even saying this is a super duper intellectual movie! But compared to... everything else... well. Expand
  2. JamesH
    Jan 4, 2010
    I'm a huge Woody Allen fan and I think this is the best film he's done since his 80's heydays. Larry David is brilliant and I was laughing right from the start and kept laughing throughout. Some people were turned off by the pessimism of the Larry David character, but being a pessimist myself I could relate and thought he was hilarious. I liked it even better than Vicki I'm a huge Woody Allen fan and I think this is the best film he's done since his 80's heydays. Larry David is brilliant and I was laughing right from the start and kept laughing throughout. Some people were turned off by the pessimism of the Larry David character, but being a pessimist myself I could relate and thought he was hilarious. I liked it even better than Vicki Christina Barcelona or Point Blank - the other two great recent Woody films. Collapse
  3. margaritar
    Oct 13, 2009
    I enjoyed every minute.
  4. Dec 27, 2010
    I'm a huge Woody Allen fan and I think this is the best film he's done since his 80's heydays. Larry David is brilliant and I was laughing right from the start and kept laughing throughout. Some people were turned off by the pessimism and sarcasm of the Larry David character, but I thought he was hilarious. Even the other characters in the film ignored him and didn't take him seriously. II'm a huge Woody Allen fan and I think this is the best film he's done since his 80's heydays. Larry David is brilliant and I was laughing right from the start and kept laughing throughout. Some people were turned off by the pessimism and sarcasm of the Larry David character, but I thought he was hilarious. Even the other characters in the film ignored him and didn't take him seriously. I liked it even better than Vicki Christina Barcelona or Point Blank - the other two great recent Woody films. Expand
  5. JohnD
    Jul 4, 2009
    An excellent Woody Allen film. He seems to go back to his routes with the dry humor about how life is terrible and everyone on this planet stinks. Great movie.
  6. AaronJ.L.
    Jul 5, 2009
    I smiled all the way through. Witty, surprising, easy to watch, and refreshing. Also, for whatever it is worth, there is a lot of sex appeal.
  7. PhilG.
    Jul 7, 2009
    I really feel like maybe this movie got one bad review, and then all the other critics just decided to follow suit. I agree with Norm that this is one of the best Woody Allen movies I've ever seen. Still laughing about some of it the next day.
  8. dennisl
    Jun 23, 2009
    Not too bad. You gotta like Allen's New York angst to enjoy Larry David as his mouthpiece. As always, Woody's New York looks like a great place to have brunch. Don't understand why one critic called the movie 'sour'. It's sweeter than most Allen movies.
  9. WodekS
    Jun 26, 2009
    If originality is your thing, then this film is not for you. However, if you think it is Woody Allen's right to remind us -- over and over again -- to protect ourselves from the temptations of nihilism, then "Whatever Works" was made for you. Besides it is very, very funny, sweet and - if that wasn't enough, it is a blue, New York, grenade aimed at the stereotypical heart of red If originality is your thing, then this film is not for you. However, if you think it is Woody Allen's right to remind us -- over and over again -- to protect ourselves from the temptations of nihilism, then "Whatever Works" was made for you. Besides it is very, very funny, sweet and - if that wasn't enough, it is a blue, New York, grenade aimed at the stereotypical heart of red America. Expand
  10. RichardW
    Jun 27, 2009
    The Allen mix of cynicism and warmth plays so well with a superb cast making the most of NYC's magiic affect on even the most sarcastic.
  11. dfwforeignbuff
    Nov 29, 2009
    Whatever Works 2009 Allen
  12. JayH
    Oct 23, 2009
    Interesting vintage style Woody Allen film, rather typical in his unique style. Very entertaining and well written. I do feel the cast lacked spark, with the exception of Patricia Clarkson. Evan Rachel Wood
  13. billc
    Oct 29, 2009
    Feels very woody allen like of course and with a dash of Larry davids Curb charactor. Certainly watchable if you enjoy Curb or Woodies works. NOTHING
  14. BobJ
    Jun 19, 2009
    Ignore the reviews. This film is excellent. The best Woody Allen film in 20 years. If you love Woody and you love Larry David, there is no way you won't love this film.
  15. BrianF
    Jun 21, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed this film! Yes it does seem like Mr. Allen wrote it originally as a play, but so what. Whatever Works worked for me.
  16. StuartL
    Jun 24, 2009
    Yes, it's a reprise of all you've already seen and heard from Allen and David. So it's not the cutting edge of cinema. But it is still one of the very few charming, entertaining films of a year already half over.
  17. WendyS.
    Jul 14, 2009
    Do not believe the critic reviews--judging from the roaring laughter in the theater, a good time was had by all!
  18. RichardG.
    Jul 18, 2009
    One of his best works in a decade. A sweet, funny movie that is a great follow-up to Vicky Christina Barcelona. A pure celebration of life. I really am loving his new direction in comedy. Two very good films in a row. (The later even better than the first). Evan Rachel Wood performance is impeccable and to my surprise Larry David exceeded my expectations, and was a joy to watch.
  19. SandraP
    Jul 4, 2009
    Brilliant movie, beautiful, well-integrated story, fabulously funny lines and characters, basically optimistic, romantic, even mystical. this film in tradition of broadway danny rose. woody's a genius!!!!!
  20. Norm
    Jul 6, 2009
    The critical critics, and there are many, complain about all the talk...talk...talk...talk. I say funny...funny...funny...funny. "Whatever Works" is the funniest Woody Allen movie ever. At least that is how I feel today, an hour after seeing it. Sure the familiar theme of the old guy hooking up with the young women is there (Without it we would suspect it wasn't really a Woody Allen The critical critics, and there are many, complain about all the talk...talk...talk...talk. I say funny...funny...funny...funny. "Whatever Works" is the funniest Woody Allen movie ever. At least that is how I feel today, an hour after seeing it. Sure the familiar theme of the old guy hooking up with the young women is there (Without it we would suspect it wasn't really a Woody Allen film). Larry David, with Woody's script, is terrific and does the best job I have ever seen of breaking the "4th wall." He does some hilarious talking to the audience which only he sees (because he is the only one smart enough to see the "big picture.") Evan Rachel Wood brings a break out comedic performance. Patrica Clarkson (always solid) takes advantage of her wide range of acting chops. Supposedly written in the '70s "Whatever Works" has been fine tuned for 2009 (with references to automatic flushing toilets; and a black president). Expand
  21. RubyG
    Aug 14, 2009
    Loved the movie. We saw it in N.Y. and can't figure out why it hasn't played in the S.F. Bay Area.
  22. KathleenCm
    Sep 20, 2009
    Time's review is correct, it is a life affirming film and very funny.
  23. BillyS.
    Jul 13, 2009
    Any Woody Allen film is a guarantee that it's better than 90% of all the other films out there. He's back in New York and he's got Larry David in one of the most brilliant casting moves in his career, he's brought Patricia Clarkson back for another hilarious turn and with Harris Savides behind the camera how can it not be great! Come on, It's WOODY ALLEN!
  24. Fantasy
    Jul 15, 2009
    This was a very funny movie. Larry David played well Larry David AKA a younger Woody Allen. The professional critics got this wrong. If you are from NYC you will LOVE this movie. Go and enjoy.
  25. ChristianB.
    Jul 26, 2009
    Deep philosophy hidden behind superficial humor. Great actors. One of the best American films I watched recently. Meets European quality on acting, while telling an American story.
  26. murrayr
    Jul 29, 2009
    I loved the film, and so did the audience judging the way they applauded at the end.
  27. Jun 6, 2016
    It is an outrageously pedantic movie, the characters are misanthropists, misogynists, misandrists; and they play every stereotype in the book... but lovingly. It is a deeply dark comedy, sweet and acrid: you'll ever love or hate it, I enjoyed it, even if it is made by Woddy Allen.
  28. Aug 25, 2012
    I am not sure why this website continually knocks intelligent films but this was actually highly funny. Larry David is always on top form and Woody Allen produced yet another hilarious and witty film. Evan Rachel Woods was completely different to normal too, I didn't even recognise her!

1. It's hard to get past the primitiveness of Allen’s fantasies.
    It isn't the laugh riot of the year.
  3. Features enough genuine laughs to give it decent commercial traction.