7.6

1. Jun 27, 2011
    As somebody with only a passing interest in the game of tennis, I must admit to finding this movie quite enjoyable. It was nice to see somebody other than Hugh Grant play the awkward English gentleman and the chemistry between Bettany and Dunst is believable. I felt the supporting cast we not really given enough screen time to properly develop but this does not detract from the mainAs somebody with only a passing interest in the game of tennis, I must admit to finding this movie quite enjoyable. It was nice to see somebody other than Hugh Grant play the awkward English gentleman and the chemistry between Bettany and Dunst is believable. I felt the supporting cast we not really given enough screen time to properly develop but this does not detract from the main storyline which proceeds along at a nice pace. A typical rom-com but one that is well worth a watch. Expand

1. Boasts appealing leads and dazzling court play, but the film never rises above its by-the-numbers plot to generate emotional heat.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    A fanciful tennis-themed romance that compounds the old dilemma of "Will he get the girl?" with "Will he get the trophy?" But the answers are too predictable and laughs too scattered for this middling Universal release to generate much in the way of humor or suspense.
    The appealing leads have strong chemistry, but it's the wrong kind: an affectionate big-brother/little-sister rapport that leaves a discomfiting taint on their more amorous clinches.