6.8

1. Jul 5, 2013
    This is like missing start episode of walking dead.Nice scientific thriller with awesome 3D effects,Can't wait till the sequence out.Story flows so fast so the viewer may not get chance to even blink.
  2. Jul 5, 2013
    Not sure why this movie is getting somewhat mixed reviews from fans. I thought they did a solid job with the CG for the massive hordes of zombies. I do have a few gripes, though. The movie is not particularly scary, the opening scene of the movie has way too much shaky cam, and Brad Pitt isn't giving it his all throughout the entire film. Still, it's a solid thriller.
  3. Jul 7, 2013
    As an action film, World War Z is a great film! It is an exciting film filled with loads of action and very few boring scenes. It is no similarity between the movie and the book, but it is still a great movie. It is a must-see!
  4. Jul 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. first off I wish to say having see this film then going home and playing Left 4 Dead 2 made it more enjoyable. That game is awesome already.

Yes this is not faithful to the source material. However I'm judging this as a film alone and not comparing it to the source material.

Overall World War Z is an average movie. It doesn't deserve a 0 and definitely is not a 10 film either. The positive aspects are offset by the negative aspects. I left the cinema neither happy nor sad.

Pros: good special effects, great scope of destruction, surprisingly good suspense.

Cons: uninteresting characters, muse's repetitive use of one song to evoke emotion, plot holes, silly implausible ending.

If you are really interested in seeing this film maybe you might enjoy it more than me. But don't expect too much
  5. Aug 25, 2013
    This movie is great! quit downvoting this movie just because it isn't just like the book. movies based on books are almost always different than the book. (this is supposedly part one of three so quit complaining. you probably will get your battle of yonkers in part 2 or 3)
  6. Sep 18, 2013
    Since a PG13 rated zombie movie is not going to match the gore level of The Walking Dead, or your run-of-the-mill direct to video zombie "nasty", it had to up the ante by making the zombies move like some hive-minded insects, and expand the action to a global level. The most effective scenes, ironically, are the ones in enclosed spaces like the plane, the stairwell, the science lab..It does become a bit of..Pitt flies to foriegn location, something happens, Pitt jumps on next flight, repeat. One positive..a genre movie that comes in UNDER two hours?!! Amazing. Expand
  7. Jun 26, 2013
    At one point, I honestly thought Hollywood had lost all hope. Then when I found out that this is based on a book, i was really shocked. After watching this, i was really surprised that it was better than I thought it was. But it barely says much. Most of the time it has its moments. It's an unoriginal story, but with some good elements. The ensemble may not be the best in a movie like this, (I mean, lets face it, who expected Brad Pitt to star in a zombie movie) but it surprisingly works. The movie does slow down at times, but overall, with it's strange and unoriginal idea, it's still a decent movie. Expand
  8. Jun 28, 2013
    As far as thrills and suspense go, it delivers. But originality, not at all. Also the PG-13 rating does make it feel pretty nerf. Its a good summer flick but nothing more.
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    World War Z is for the most part an action film where just by pure coincidence happen to be zombies; sort of. Unlike most zombie genre films the plot isn't about getting somewhere, gathering resources or simply trying to ride out the apocalypse, instead it focuses on some important guy rather than some average Joe and seems more about finding the cause and cure of the outbreak. The film focuses on Gerry '(Brad Pitt) and his kind of forced mission to get to the bottom of the mess the world is now in. Pitt is good for the most part but seems to ironically struggle in the scenes with his on screen family. the plot is fairly repetitive: go here talk run repeat and this got on my nerves after the first time even with the fairly short run time. The special effects look good compared to in the trailer and convey the idea of a horde of zombies on screen. If there was a gaping flaw in this film it was the lack of scope in the film. The plot was almost totally revolving around Gerry with little else; survivors or zombie outbreaks even being mentioned in passing would have been nice.
    Rating 7 out of 10
    A slightly above average action/zombie film that doesn't feel as global as the name suggests
  10. Sep 11, 2013
    When you watch this film, don't expect the book. They've had to adapt it to the hollywood screen and I feel it's a fantastic adaption. The story is told at a good pace, with really solid acting throughout especially from Brad Pitt. It's mostly an action film, with occasional moments of gore and horror. But all in all, an entertaining film well worth a watch.
  11. Jun 21, 2013
    I really wanted this to be awesome, I mean, who doesn't right? Brad Pitt at the helm of a big budget zombie flick amidst the increasing popularity of the post-apocalyptic phenomenon, what’s not to like? Truth is, the audience just like the countries of the world should have seen the inevitable. Unfortunately the film’s real virus was the poor script that it can’t shake, despite its blockbuster CGI immune system. It saving grace, comes when you pair it against what where used to, gory, suspense but reasonably ‘low scale’, i.e. we never really get to see the initial panic. Movies like 28 days later transport us to the barren remains of the earth. World War Z doesn't stop at the before and after shots, we get everything in-between. That’s what I liked, and what saved it at times when it lagged behind expectation. This movie had the same feel as ‘The Day After Tomorrow’; essentially the audience gets sold a ‘one size fits all’ zombie movie, hoping for a ‘Goldilocks’ like effect. To its detriment, it lacked the pizazz it was well and truly capable of. Expand
  12. Jun 29, 2013
    A hopeless mess of a movie, with the occasional interesting visuals. If you're going to have absolutely nothing to do with the source material, why bother using the name?
  13. Jul 1, 2013
    Sure, it's not the freshest movie to come out this year (The zombie fad, like zombies themselves, never dies) but it's a fun movie to see and it will keep you entertained the whole way through.
  14. Sep 7, 2013
    Esta pelicula me gusto mucho, me parecio muy buena y brillante.Lo que mas me gusto de la pelicula fueron los efectos y el argumento que tuvo la pelicula.Tambien tengo que agregar que me gusto la actuacion de Brad Pitt.
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the best zombie movie I've seen but definitely worth a watch if you got no other choice. Quite predictable and open ending... I wonder if there is going to be a second part... probably yes. Expand
  16. Sep 3, 2013
    I am not actually sire if I liked or didn't like World War Z. Sure it has great special effects and it has great action scenes and yes it has action from the very first moments, but the vaccine of the virus is completely ridiculous and the the film is made in that way that it seems to be a true story. Couldn't stand that if you have a disease like cancer or something else the zombies won't kill you Zombies can understand if someone is sick.. ok.... Something that I really liked was the plane scene. That was a good one. In general watch the movie but don't expect something really good. That's what I have to say. If you like Walking Dead you will like the movie ,but there is no comparison between the two of them! Expand
  17. Jun 26, 2013
    Finally does the zombie brand justice. Don't expect a bunch pf gore-horror or anything similar to the book, but this movie definitely delivers it on its own- and it's a thriller, 100%, with the most suspenseful and ridiculous conclusion I have EVER seen in one (unless of course horror movies count)
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never read the book but I was very disappointed by this film. The plot is just terrible. It lacks depth almost entirely. Go to South Korea, flight a few zombies and leave. Go to Israel, get overrun by zombies and leave. Survive a plane crash in England and happen upon a WHO facility and magically solve the mystery. Just ridiculous. You know a zombie movie is bad when people start laughing at the zombies in the theater. Comedy and the world ending don't mix too well. Felt like they could have done so much better but this just fell flat on its face... Expand
  19. Jun 22, 2013
    The good well it actually had a good introduction to a beginning on how the zombies came, zombies actually feel like zombies and had the best way of setting out a good plot twist like first you are in Philadelphia then ends up to be on a ship and you go to Jerusalem, and it seems as if Brad Pitt did a good job in this movie.

The Bad well the bad ending got me confused like your not
    suppose to do this, the middle of the movie felt like it was really drawn out and as if they were to lazy to come up with a way to do the middle and less action came on and the movie just felt boring in the middle I hope the director makes a World War Z part 2 this movie just has a couple of flaws just from being a solid 10 because if it you must be a fan of zombie thrilling action then you must watch it. Expand
  20. Jun 24, 2013
    If Walt Disney made a terrible zombie movie, this is what it would be. I think if you're a teenager, don't understand basic biology or the military, you'll probably connect well with this movie. Otherwise you're going to count both the time you had to work to pay for it and the time you then wasted watching it as a loss.

Parallels to the book:
    Infected people attack non infected

Israel builds a wall
    And nothing else.

There was one really great scene in the beginning that was novel. The other one hour and fifty nine minutes is uninspired garbage. If you haven't read the books and don't care, it was a mediocre zombie movie. If you have read the books please do not go watch this.
  21. Jun 26, 2013
    Brad Pitt Vs Zombies. It's not the disaster that everyone thought it would be, and I rather enjoyed it actually.

The best way to describe the film is uneven. This is probably partially down to the troubled production, so they may have done a great job with the footage they had. The film definitely has scary moments, but I didn't feel the impending doom and fear growing, it was just a
    bit of fun. Simple.

World War Popcorn is a better title for the film.

The film is a little slow in places, but then picks up again straight away. The characters are fine, and Brad Pitt gives a good performance as usual. But there is nothing special about this, apart from the ant pile of zombies, which I still like. I do think there are fun and action-packed set pieces throughout, and then it almost seems to turn into an episode of The Walking Dead in the third act, as the scale suddenly minimizes. I really enjoyed the third act.

The editing is sometimes a little choppy, and the camera shakes around a little bit too much, but as a whole I thought it fit together well.

It is a fun popcorn flick, that I hope we see a sequel too, to dig a little deeper into the story- and the characters also.
  22. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 'World War Z' is a fast-paced, exciting thriller, which blends the horror, action, and science-fiction genres generally well. Brad Pitt gives a decent performance as Gerry Lane, but the film fails to create a real connection between the viewer and Pitt's family. 'WWZ' ends up being an above average film, which provides a nice new look at an oft-visited idea. Expand
  23. Jul 11, 2013
    I thought that this was overall, a good and decent movie. I was really entertained with all the shootouts and intense scenes with the zombies. Brad Pitt plays the main character and he does a really good job with his character. His character was the only character that was interesting, some of the characters didn't evolve or lacked development throughout the whole movie. Their were a lot of cool scenes from the movie, like where the zombies were climbing on the barricade, all this scenes were cool and big, but their was this intense where Brad Pitt and his companions were trying to sneak past zombies without tracking any attention, for me they could've showed us more of that scene throughout the whole movie. Sometimes the movie lacks an identity, sometimes it's action-packed and sometimes it's horror, but it's just a little gripe that didn't affect the movie experience. Some people didn't like the ending, because for them it was a bit rushed, for some reasons I agree on that statement but for me it was a decent ending World War Z is decent zombie movie and I am going to give it a 7/10. Expand
  24. Jul 7, 2013
    World War Z is a fast paced, well acted zombie movie that doesn't present any flashy new concepts but yet executes their idea of an apocalypse nicely. Believable characters and an emphasis on zombie logic (phone books taped to forearms) place this movie as an above average zombie film.
  25. Jul 9, 2013
    "World War Z" is a perfect example of how to turn a very good book into a total nonsense, spending in the process a few hundred million dollars.

The score of 1 is just for the reference to the book. Otherwise it should be ZERO. Or less.
  26. Jul 11, 2013
    Overall, A decent movie, but there are two factors that really put me off. One, The relation with the book and the movie is like comparing Shakespeare to Modern day Drama. Two, Brad Pitt's mumbling, In many instances I hear Pitt quickly mumble dialogue that is almost impossible to understand. The fact that he was the only well known actor in the movie didn't help either. 6/10
  27. Jul 15, 2013
    Absolute balls, although spot on if you were to add zz to the title. Brad 'the' Pitts once more shows us his Jesus hairdo, especially in a ridiculous halo lit scene that proves he's not the second coming, 'just a very naughty boy'. Oh, and any film that doesn't properly utilize Peter Capaldi and his prolific use of the word c**t when it's more than apt, should be put to sleep, preferably not to come back from the dead for a sequel. Expand
  28. Jul 17, 2013
    It was all right, though one too many dull moments. I don't get how this is what they decided to go with, when they had a really good plot in the book.
  29. Jul 31, 2013
    Absolutely nothing like the book. and I mean nothing. Did I mention it is an entirely different franchise? It's like they suckered in people by buying rights to the name. It is garbage what they did to the story. Skip this in theaters, go read the book instead.
  30. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the best zombie movies ever.The graphics are cool,the actions are awesome too,but the story not so much.The only problem in this movie is that the story of this movie in really not interesting.I mean can you explain the story of this movie.Of course not.And some parts of the movie is boring.It only gets awesome and interesting when the zombies start going all up on the walls like ants.When that part happened I was thinking that it was starting to get better.But after that part it started to get boring again.But still because of that part when the zombies start going up like ants and attacking the people inside the wall I will give this movie a score of 7/10 because that part is absolutely awesome. Expand
  31. Aug 12, 2013
    This a good movie not great not amazing but good, the reason is, the story is freaking I know its supposed to be an action thriller but besides Pitts character I honestly don't give 2 ****s if anyone else dies. This also barely shows any gore given its PG 13 this movie could have been better had it been something like R rated, though PG 13 does do better money wise so I understand the need, but besides that you should watch it. Its suspenceful, fun, and overall a quality movie Expand
  32. Aug 14, 2013
    This zombie-thing is pretty much overused by games movies media....
    i still enjoyed this movie even without blood :D It just tells a story and creates a matching atmosphere.
    But I would not watch again.
  33. Aug 16, 2013
    I'm surprised this movie got a 6.8 out of 10. I find this movie amazing, easily in my top 5 list. Although some people get old of the idea of zombie, I love it. 10/10
  34. Sep 6, 2013
    World War Z is a very good Action, Horror movie because it brings out all the horror and action you can get, in some parts it's very gory bust mostly action love this movie I think it's a little bit underrated.
  35. Aug 25, 2013
    A very good zombie movie. A little bit underrated. For me it's a very good movie with very beautiful soundtracks by Marco Beltrami. The most important is that it's not a scary movie but a very good adventure movie. Brad Pitt was amazing at his role. Watch this film and have fun!!
  36. Sep 27, 2013
    I sat down to watch this movie with no expectations whatsoever, but it was hard to ignore the fact that this is not a zombie movie at all, because, you know there are some indications in the title that led me to believe that this in fact will be a zombie movie, so I'll stick with that from now on.
    I did not red the book, I merely saw this sorry excuse for a zombie apocalypse movie a
    genre that I love and cherish as it is. I grew up on George A. Romero's zombie movies, the ones with sluggish undead people craving for human "braaainz!". I realize of course that that type of monsters are too slow for our modern movie munching society but consider this, if the British were managed to make a fast paced zombie movie with great action scenes and compelling story from a marginally smaller budget (28 Days Later), then why could not the Americans achieve the same?
    The protagonist the average male figure who is just looking out for his loved ones is common enough in these movies (and video games of the genre), but this movie failed to utilize him the way it meant to be. We got Brad Pitt loosened on a wild goose chase across continents and countries achieving virtually nothing, and without skills relying on sheer luck to survive and magically save the whole world at the end.
    The story was not engaging and the climax came too late to stimulate my attention, although it would have been great for a family drama, but clearly not for a thriller/horror show.
    My verdict is that this movie is a one time popcorn movie which did not deserve the £13 fee I had to spend on it.
  37. Nov 25, 2013
    Well, it turns out to be true, what people have been saying; that this movies takes zombie apocalypse more seriously than everyone else. The story is very much different from the book, though. In the end, it was very thrilling but not quite entertaining.
  38. BKM
    Nov 8, 2013
    As zombie flicks go, World War Z is a surprisingly muted affair. There's never a true sense of fear or mass hysteria and Brad Pitt seems to be on some sort of sedative throughout the film. The suspense finally starts to kick in during the final act, but even that isn't enough to make Marc Forster's popcorn flick more than an afterthought once the credits roll.
  39. Jun 29, 2013
    World War Z is a new zombie film based on the event novel by Max Brooks. The movie is seems to be okay with audiences and critics gave a positive review. I have mix feelings about the new movie because the film is been delayed after they have huge problems to make a big zombie film for redoing the script, take time with the story, and making a realistic event just like the novel. The new story takes place in the United States where UN investigator, Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) and his family are having a good time in a road, unfortunately the crisis of mad zombies taking over the world and of course the entire nation was corrupted by fast zombie diseases. Lane and his family escape from the apocalyptic world, until the crew wants Lane to find someone who has a cure to make the zombies go down or save the entire people in each country. The zombies are fast and blood eating monsters and they capture the people in the fast CG effect including one scene where zombies are climbing the top of the hill like a large ant hill. The scenes are pretty scary to look at and zombies scare away from the screen. The characters are alright, but not closely to the book, but they stay focus on the protagonist to fight over zombies. World War Z is an okay film, but the film is pretty lacking like how the zombies climb on the wall, how does the zombie affect the entire world, or does the book explains about real events of tragedy or survivors. The film is rated PG-13, but it goes down of making this movie pretty decent and we can't sure if the movie is safe for teens and we might quite to make this movie for an adults like putting into the R rated. World War Z is fine and little entertaining, but nothing special. Thumb Down. Expand
  40. Oct 27, 2013
    Why does this movie have a PG-13 rating is this Hollywood's answer to making more money?
    I really liked 28 weeks later best zombie movie ever, alright plot great suspense great gore.
    This is not that movie, this is boring actors, dumb story and eventual who cares.
    Why do we need PG-13 zombie movies? I would not take my thirteen year old to this movie unless it was having sleeping
    difficulties.
    If you like zombie movies this probably isn't for you.
  41. Jul 13, 2013
    HORRIBLE! I am a Sci-Fi lover and couldn't wait for this to come out. However, the story is so stupid it reminds me of the my other pick for Worst Ever Sci-Fi, "The Day After Tomorrow". From Brad's idiotic expressions and shallow sentiments ("No, Government Guy, I just CAN'T bring myself to help save the world because I need to be here to tuck my kids into bed at night when they are safe on this big military ship") to the absurd ridiculousness of many of the plot points (like are they REALLY going to waste a military helicopter in an extreme EMERGENCY to remove his family from the ship just because he went MIA? Did they really eat that much food? WTF!). This movie was an EPIC failure. Nothing wrong with the action scenes, but if you like your mind engaged while you watch a movie, you will be sorely disappointed. Expand
  42. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Might as well been called "I am legend meets 28 days later". Brainless action flick that employs jump scares to startle the audience. Has a barely existent plot and logic, and barely has anything to do with either the novelization of World War Z or The Zombie Survival Guide. Is functionally inept when it comes to camera work (shaky cam all over the place), to the point where you can't tell what the hell is going on. Utilizes stock footage in the beginning and then CGI where there doesn't need to be CGI. Did you really have to use CGI actors in the goddamn Harrier scenes? Things happen because the script demands they happen, the dialogue is goofy and sometimes hard to understand, characterization is non-existent, and the way the zombies work in this movie is frankly stupid. No tactics are used by the military to combat the zombies (something that was prevalent in the novelization) and people act functionally retarded in survival situations. The logic behind the infection is parasitic in nature, despite the nature of the infection being viral. No hive intelligence can be born out of a viral infection, no matter how hard the writers to try to convince us or how hard they crap all over the source material. Apparently, all it takes is a serious infection via a deadly but treatable disease to become "invisible" to the zombies... because they don't want to infect hosts who are seriously sick. Yes really. First off, they say a virus wouldn't kill a zombie. Okay... so why would a zombie care if the victim is infected with H1N1? Why would it care? Flesh is flesh. There supposed to be ZOMBIES, NOT rabid humans. 28 days later already did something similar to that guys.

If you want brainless action and can bear with the constant shaky cam and inability to tell what the hell is going on as a result, then go see this movie. If you don't mind that most of the budget was likely spent on Brad Pitt and the CGI, and want to see a poorly executed film, go see this movie. If you want a competently made movie, give this stinker a pass. 4/10: what the hell was Max Brooks thinking when he okayed this?
  43. May 9, 2014
    One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I was literally yawning while watching a plain crash from inside the plane. Total snooze fest. The whole time I wasn't invested with bland characters and absurd plotlines. At least the disaster movie 2012 knew it was being absurd, but this movie seems to take it's absurd unpolished ideas seriously.

I owe this movie this, it inspired me to
    read the book, and the book really is a superb reflections of the times we live in. It's such a shame they took the idea and skewered it so bad. Expand
  44. Jul 6, 2013
    Boring. Really just epically boring. Once you've wrapped your head around that, you've the additional problem with the fact that whoever called the shots on this film didn't once bother to listen to their military advisors. I was gonna give this movie the benefit of the doubt, until I watched a C-whateverthatwas launch off an aircraft carrier (or was it a helicopter carrier?)... that's when I kew, this movie was gonna suck.

Wherever Brad Pitt goes (Camp Humpheys, S.Korea; Tel Aviv, Israel; Cardiff, Wales), whatever was working for the survivors up that point just suddenly fails, and the zombie onslaught ensues. No one in the movie really matters, and so you don't care about any of them either, which is fine, since there's like an 80% chance they'll be dead in the next 5~10 minutes.

What was the point of this movie anyway? I mean, it's not really a zombie movie, or at least not a very convincing one. It's not really a disaster movie either. It's not a moving drama, on any level, despite the annihilation of human civilization, which, if you remember, we don't care about anyway! It's not even a good action movie. It is however a disaster OF a movie.

The pacing is awful, since it's in a big damn rush to get somewhere, and ignores anything that's interesting along the way, to arrive at, well, what feels an awful lot like a sneaking around video game (think MGS, or Splinter cell, only stupid, boring, and not really that tense). The solution, once finally arrived at, is haltingly stupid. War of the planets stupid. "Oh, it was all just a dream" kind of stupid.

And then, right when we've done all the heavy lifting, suspended all disbelief, given the last of the benefit of the doubt we can afford, right when our ultra-megaviolence should kick in, we get a montage ending that looks suspiciously like a middle finger. Not a proper middle finger either. A metaphorical one.

And rumor has it they wanna make another one of these.
  45. Jul 8, 2013
    There were so many eye rolling moments that the movie became ridiculous. In the theater I was in people were laughing at the teeth chattering zombies. This was not a scary film at all, but how can you possibly be scared when the camera is moving so erratically that you can't see anything that is happening? The trendy "constantly moving camera" that is so in favor with directors these days must end! I shouldn't have to take a motion sick pill to watch a movie, and it is simply a trick that Hollywood uses so they don't have to properly choreograph scenes. The Brad Pitt character is obviously a super genius. He figures out how to stop the zombies with only one or two VERY minor clues. This is not the worst film I've seen this year, but I was sorry I wasted my money on it. Expand
  46. Jul 26, 2013
    This feels like a good (not great) movie with some brilliant scenes (especially the opening ones and the exit from Jerusalem), a cohesive story line, and characters with actual emotional pull. It is not preachy, it is not a slave to special effects, and it does not drag. However, nothing in the movie is really spectacular enough to make this a must-see movie. I'd recommend watching it, but I wouldn't cancel existing plans to do so. Expand
  47. Jul 16, 2013
    Having been de-sensitised after watching "The Walking Dead" series I guess I wasn't so shocked to see more zombies but it was still pretty nail biting stuff. Where the movie falls down in a big way is just the silliness of the plot, and the acting was not up to scratch either.
  48. Sep 27, 2013
    A surprisingly realistic take on the zombie movie genre. The plot is smart and the information it presents is plausible. Characters act like real people and make intelligent decisions quickly and when their back is against the wall. Also the acting is superb. Surprisingly this is a zombie movie that shy's away from blood and gore by hiding the bloodier moments just off screen. This movie is tense, exciting, and most importantly smart. If the zombie apocalypse does happen it will be a lot like this movie. So if you're a zombie fanatic like myself this is a must watch. Expand
  49. Aug 8, 2013
    This film has the honor of being one of the worst movies that I remember ever seeing. It´s like a throwback to a 50´s horror B-movie. It often is more funny than horrific. It has no pretensions of philosophical nor ecological undertones. It is just zombies being nasty zombies biting people and getting hacked off. I am very surprised that Brad Piitt would accept to participate in such a production disaster. I am giving it 1 point for special effects in mass zombie attack scenes. But terrible makeup. Expand
  50. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the book which is OK so I won't compare apples to oranges. Overall the movie was a decent zombie apocalypse movie that ended poorly. Worth watching once at the theater. The bad news the first act is good but the family should have not made it off the roof intact. Second act is where to many holes open in the story, why did the "best chance for humanity" only have a couple of half baked military guys in their unlimited range cargo plane? Gerry Lane should have fallen on his gun here, load up the troops from Camp Humphreys who seem to know what they were doing and move out. While visually stunning the Israel portion makes no sense with streams of still living refugees and ignores the political implications of the wall they are already building. The third act is tolerable but a let down, Gerry should have been long dead by now since the UN & WHO would have collapsed in the first minutes of this disaster. The last screen shot of the happy family reunion is pathetic. So if a sequel is to be made remember that this is first and foremost a zombie war movie and forget the gee whiz Lost ending. Take a lesson from Battle for Los Angeles or Aliens and let us see a good cathartic war/horror film with zombies vs. hard core military on an epic scale. Expand
  51. Jul 5, 2013
    I can only retread what most reviews have already said fans of the book will be disappointed, fans of zombie movies will be disappointed. That's not to say this movie is absolutely terrible, it just refuses to enjoy all the things that would make it an amazing zombie movie. They were too scared to even show the lopping off of a hand; any fans of the Walking Dead TV show are going to find this movie incredibly pedestrian in comparison. There is no social commentary here. It never bothers to explore how dangerous other people can be when the world falls apart. In fact it hardly even establishes that the infected are, in fact, undead. It is mentioned in passing only, but you won't see anybody walking around with missing limbs or jaws. They don't look dead to me, they just look kind of unwell.

So basically when it comes to the zombie aspect it is completely JOYLESS. If you have watched the trailer you have seen most of the impressive scenes (which sadly, have very noticeable CG in them!). What we're left with here is a film that is surpassed by other zombie films and other plague films in most ways. You will probably leave the theatre hungry to watch one of your old favorites. It's not a movie about horror, or terror. Only suspense. I think that my expectations of a zombie movie are just very different from what they tried to do here.
  52. Mar 1, 2014
    I think the Z stands for Zzz. A banal, wishy-washy showcase of faceless people running away from faceless zombies. World War Zzzz quacks and farts around like a gutted 28 Days Later for the stupid, but what's really weird is that it shows little to no real gore, the result is an bloodless chase by rasping extras in bad make-up.
  53. Jan 24, 2014
    One of the best zombie films I've seen. Heard lots about the production problems but if you put that to one side you get a taught, believable and exciting drama. Some of the acting is superb, though personally I thought Brad Pitt was out of his comfort zone playing this character - they should have got someone else to do it. For me he was actually the weakest character in the film. The epic nature of the plot captures the end of humanity in a very convincing way, last film I saw when it felt this good was war of the worlds. Some of the set-pieces, such as the attack on Jerusalem, are exhilarating. Ending felt very tacked on (as it actually was) and the change of pace at the end let the film end on a slightly disappointing note. However if you want a great zombie film then give this a try. Expand
  54. Jul 3, 2013
    Weak plot, wooden dialogue and at times breathtakingly stupid.

The zombie effects were somewhat interesting (which is why I didn't give it a plain zero) but aside from that the movie was an utter waste of time and money.
  55. Jul 9, 2013
    Based on the book by Max Brooks, World War Z tells the story of a zombie outbreak and a fathers quest to keep his family safe. The film ultimately thrives thanks to director Marc Forster's grasp of tension and wonder and how to bring them both out simultaneously in his shots. The film follows Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), a stay at home father who was a UN investigator before his kids were born. When an outbreak occurs, Gerry is sent to discover the source of the outbreak, patient zero, which sends him all over the world as he tries to find a way to save humanity and by extension, his family. World War Z really does feel like 2 films due to its highly publicized re-shoots. There are famous actors (Matthew Fox) reduced to bit parts thanks to story retooling, differences in dialogue from the trailers, World War Z just shifts about halfway through the film from political thriller to all out thriller. The overpowering politics of the first half effectively vanish in the new material in favour of a tense final set piece that is incredibly well made. That doesn't mean the first half is bad, in fact World War Z is smart, cleverly constructed and well filmed. The script however is cliche ridden in the first act of the film with the outbreak being unique but often times sullied by cheesy dialogue or unclear action set pieces (a particular scene on a apartment block staircase is really hard to watch). Pitt makes Gerry a likeable lead but at times it comes across as slightly unbelievable, his ability to escape situations even the strongest people couldn't. The film lacks the feel of an apocalyptic event at times as the film is restricted by its 12A rating but it doesn't take much away from the experience. To be honest, this is a zombie apocalypse I will happily watch again. Expand
  56. Jul 21, 2013
    This movie has a lot of entertainment appeal--Brad Pitt is always impressively handsome, having grown out the crew cut that he wore for years when he was married to Jennifer Aniston. Now he's gone to the other extreme, where his blonde locks hang down to his shoulders, and he is even a model for Chanel No. 5. From the buzz cut that detracted from his looks to the long locks that make him look like a romantic Lancelot, Pitt has found a middle-aged role for himself as husband (practically) to Angelina Jolie and father of their six children.

This new persona shines through in World War Z, a movie that holds your interest in spite of the formulaic presentation. There is a contagion that is spreading quickly, and at first it appears to be a typical superbug, but this one is different. It is in fact a zombie contagion, and anyone who gets bitten is quickly infected and turns into a zombie within twelve seconds. This is a fairly typical fear-based disaster movie, but Pitt's character Gerry Lane is so strong, protective, and good-looking that fans will be mesmerized just because they love Brad Pitt.

The suspense is masterful, even though the gorier aspects of the genre have been thankfully toned down. The zombies are ugly and scary, but they never mutilate or devour, although they act as though they are about to. They are simply very bad-tempered, they destroy property, and they bite people. With the virus spreading like wildfire, there is a real chance that the entire human race is doomed to this fate. There is no sex in this film, for Gerry is deeply in love with his wife Karin, played by Mireille Enos, who looks like a red-headed Jolie, and who has to separate from Gerry early in the film. (They only share scenes at the beginning and very end of the film.) As in real life, Pitt's character is a devoted husband and father. No one can seduce him, not even when he becomes attached to a female soldier named Segen, who serves in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and who for some strange reason is sporting a shaven head. (Female IDF soldiers, unlike their male counterparts, are not required to cut their hair for military service, so this unusual attribute seems to announce up front that Segen is not a love interest.) The movie gets extra points for avoiding foul language. I counted only two instances of “Godd*mn,” and then only when Gerry was facing almost insurmountable obstacles, and one instance of the English equivalent of the French expletive, merde. The f-bomb is never dropped. For Hollywood, this alone is an almost impossible feat. Bravo.

Pitt's Gerry may be a family man, but he's no namby-pamby. A former U.N. Operative, he is about to save the world single-handedly, using his wits and his formidable powers of observation. Gerry is a hero, and a faithful one at that, for the affection he develops for Segen is such that he should have had an affair with her, even with her buzz cut, but he doesn't. To make that even clearer, at one point he has to chop off her bitten hand to save her from the virus. If they were going to have an affair, that pretty much finished it off.

There is a lot of talk about how the ending was changed. The original synopsis is on the Internet, and far from having a different ending, the original screenplay was pretty much thrown out. This version is a completely different film starting from the escape from Jerusalem. In this version, after escaping from Jerusalem, Gerry and Segen survive an unsurvivable plane crash, and then they conveniently find themselves walking distance from the W.H.O. lab that they need to visit to find a cure for the virus. The cure is based on a clever theory devised by Gerry after he has made shrewd observations about zombie behavior. The ending is somewhat reminiscent of the vampire film, Daybreakers, starring Ethan Hawke, a film where the quest to save humanity from being completely converted to vampirism was less formulaic and more inventive than what we have here in World War Z.
  57. Jul 12, 2013
    If you enjoy zombie movies or read the book do not go see this movie. There are no zombies in the movie just a bunch of things that run 4 times faster than a humans, so I guess it's a superhero movie with brad pitt as the star.

If you like zombies, read the book, its amazing. This film is an insult to it and writing in general. There were so many straight up stupid moments I almost left
    the movie. The whole reason zombie movies are scary is because there is this huge hoard of unfeeling creatures which will never stop coming after you, just like Jason or Freddy or plenty of others they don't need to hurry...because they always catch you. Unlike a human they never tire out, that's creepy. So why make them run at ludicrous speed?!

Uber-stupid writing moments from the movie:

Example 1: You are a highly trained group of soldiers, a plane needs refueling, and there are creatures running around that are attracted to sound. Do you: Go out in the night when its raining and completely dark or hmmm wait a few hours for some sunlight...

Example 2: Singing on loudspeakers causes zombies to get smarter, adapt and climb a 100 ft wall....

Example 3: We are safe on an airplane and after a very long flight the zombie (who normally runs at ludicrous speed) decided to come out of hiding as the plane makes its final descent! OMG ...(I'm picturing the zombie sitting on some luggage drinking a fruit juice as we waits for his perfect moment....)

Dramatic moments don't have to be stupid and not follow logic. The book is full of creepy moments and it all feels real. THE BOOK ALL FEELS REAL and that is truly scary to convince you of what the a world war against zombies would really look like. You arent questioning it, but just immersed which is quite an achievement, which this movie missed altogether.

This movie is a brad pitt film. The book was not about a hero it was about surviving. Brad Pitt does his normal character and he is the hero, the story is random stuff to send him jetsetting across the world so he can save it. Oh brad...the world does not revolve around you buddy. He should not be producing. He had the perfect script and ignored every bit of it to create an insulting film made merely to take your money.
  58. Jul 12, 2013
    Despite its mixed reviews, I went to see World War Z with no expectations, and was very pleasantly surprised. Interesting and clever, I can't think of any dull moment throughout.

I would guess that a lot of the disappointment comes from the relative lack of gore. The are plenty of scares, but they are the occasional jump scare and well-executed suspense, not grisly disembowelment and
    macabre set pieces.

There are a lot of comments that World War Z doesn't fare well as a zombie film, and I'd agree but with the caveat that it really isn't one. This is a thoughtful outbreak film, more along the lines of Contagion than visceral Romero massacre porn. Not to say that it's purely cerebral no excuse for apocalyptic carnage is passed up, with excellently executed special effects and a shocking explosion at least every twenty minutes, guaranteed.

It's not perfect I have to concede that the ending feels abrupt (although it came exactly when I was ready for it). Nevertheless I'd thoroughly recommend World War Z as a very entertaining and slightly brainier than average action contagion movie. NOT as a zombie flick.
  59. Sep 18, 2013
    I should preface this review by stating that I have not read the novel that this movie is based loosely off of. Therefore, my entire review is ignorant to any source material and is judging the movie as a stand alone film. As far as that goes, I thought this was one of the best zombie films ever made. Yes, it is plagued by the same exaggerations all zombie films suffer from. However, World War Z is actually a genuinely good movie, zombie nonsense aside. The acting, led by Brad Pitt, is fantastic and the plot develops well. The intensity in the movie starts up right away so there's no lag time to deal with while they develop the setting. The setting is already familiar... it's America today. The discovery of the zombie outbreak is part of the joy in watching the film and the initial sequence where you're first introduced to the situation is one of the most intense segments in recent memory. The action itself feels very realistic, aside from the aforementioned exaggerations that is. Pitt isn't made out to be some superhero or anything so he feel real too. The only real flaws for me were the exaggerations and that the ending felt like it was rushed. The entire two hours builds to this culmination that just ends right away and doesn't give you much closure. I suppose they were going for that with how they set the scene in the closing moments but from a viewer's perspective, I would've liked it a bit differently. Overall though, this is a great movie that most people will almost certainly enjoy. Expand
  60. Mar 20, 2014
    I put off watching this film for a long time because I hate and avoid Zombie movies. Having said that, this was a pretty good action film. Surprise, surprise. The Zombies weren't overly gory and the race to find a cure kept me interested throughout the film.
  61. Sep 20, 2013
    Like gold dust, a hefty-invested blockbuster with a problematic partial re-filming (including a complete overhaul of the ending owing to its financial curb) and a procrastinated release date could actually trounce its foreboding karma and pans out to be a competent money-maker in the bloodthirsty summer season, not to mention has earned itself a sensational caption as the highest grossing film ever for the mega-star Brad Pitt”.

Directed by Marc Forster (QUANTUM OF SOLACE 2008, 7/10; STRANGER THAN FICTION 2006, 7/10; STAY 2005, 8/10; FINDING NEVERLAND 2004, 7/10; MONSTER’S BALL 2001, 7/10), who is to some extent oscillating between a major company’s hack and an accomplished auteur in the indiewood. WORLD WAR Z craftily grafts mind-blowing visual feasts onto an apocalyptic milieu with rapid-running zombies infected by unknown virus, and keep contaminating the residual humankind. The backstory sounds familiar but film constructs an alternative coda, not the hackneyed one-man-saves-the-world heroism, instead, it offers a more plausible expedient to both avoid the callow overkill and underscore the future with a bleaker hope for the story to continue.

The film never stray from a standard zombiefest routine, but the execution is commendable, an indeed white-knuckle experience from A to Z, the process of this prerogative family’s running away from a zombie-invading Philadelphia has been handled even-handedly, although Pitt’s wife and daughters would only be the burden for his further mission.

Bounding from South Korea to Jerusalem, then a considerably smaller-scaled finale inside a secular lab in Scotland, the film brings us a gripping journey but there is no superhero to save mankind.

In the South Korea chapter, an unexpected self-shooting accident happens out of the left field, in view of the executor’s seemingly essential role as the last straw to stop this mess. This is a wonderful surprise I don’t mind watching more on screens nowadays. Moreover, the treatment of silence is another feat creatively applied here, pretty contrasts to the common hubbub in the action pack, but as a corollary, there will be an inconvenient silence-breaker thanks to the unwitting wife’s timely call, otherwise, the act is too smooth and casualties can never be spared in this case (farewell, James Badge Dale).

However, the pinnacle no doubt should attribute to the raiding of City of David, excellent airborne shots render viewers a stately sacredness to witness the havoc, a sarcastic indication of a rabble of Muslims hymning cheerfully would insanely precipitate zombies to rally outside the bulwarks and eventually break into the city thanks to their umpteen quantities, which is a tad offensive but from the prospect of a non-believer, the irony is a bonanza since we are in desperation for some gallows humor under the circumstances.

Most dissenters would argue the reshoot of the final act (an original plan includes a massive combat sets in Moscow) is a letdown simply because it is not epic enough to culminate the prescribed “the bigger the better” adrenaline drive, nevertheless, this thriftier approach options a no-gut-no-glory scheme which turns out to be a fairly conducted indoor thriller, and one can even laugh about the ostentatious plugging of the beverage company during the revelational discovery. The cast is inherently viable, Pitt underplays his charisma to be more approachable, it is rather comforting to see Enos clench a major film role and she could have been a better fighter than her screen hubby.

In a nutshell, WORLD WAR Z is an entertaining popcorn fare, and doesn’t try to patronize and outsmart its audience and showboats its CGI stunts to offer a bombarding sense of instantaneous grandiosity, which ultimately will fall bland in aftertaste. This alone can make most tentpoles pale in comparison!
  62. Jul 15, 2013
    Es una lastima como gran fan de los zombies le tenia esperanza a esta pelicula, pero la verdad les recomiendo no ir a verla, algo le falto y esta aburrida..pretty boring..
  63. Aug 2, 2013
    Pitt and Enos are very satisfying leads, The acting overall is rather solid and I have no complaints. While the film may look impressive, It's really just...nothing. The plot is ok but I'd have liked to see more depth to it, A little more story you know instead of just the straight forward story that it is. The biggest problem with World War Z is that it tries so hard not to be another zombie movie but it ends up being just that. There is nothing that really separates it from any other zombie film I have seen and that was the real killer in my opinion. Expand
  64. Aug 4, 2013
    World war z was a pleasant surprise i loved it. the only thing i would take away points for is it was not a rated R film. For me it was one of the best releases of the year so far to this date. Great story and action.
  65. Mar 7, 2014
    Just a real big movie. I don't know the numbers. But this is probably costs them too much. The story is not classic. It's great. The scenes are really amazing. I've never seen something similar. How did they do this? It seems real, not like the usual cut scenes. I liked this movie, and I really wanted it to be much longer.
  66. Oct 19, 2013
    Another zombie movie is more than I can handle, but World War Z manages to bring a darker tone and intensity than the usual funny gore fest. However, there is too much boring dialogue and the characters are humorless and uninteresting.
  67. Mar 8, 2014
    It has its moments, but they're not enough. The script falls short in places, and it needs more emotion. The film does offer us effective suspense and tension in several scenes, and it will be a good film for zombie fans.
  68. Jun 27, 2013
    World War Z Director: Marc Forster Starring: Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, James Badge Dale Runtime/Rated: PG-13, 1hr.55min Brad Pitt stars in and only BRAD PITT in the zombie war epic ‘World War Z’. What I mean with Mr. Pitt is that he’s the only character that matters, the movie shall be called ‘World War Brad Pitt’. Pitt plays Gerry Lane, a retired United Nations employee who must travel the world to find a way to stop a zombie pandemic.

This movie is based on the book called (World War Z: An Oral History Of The Zombie War) written by Max Brooks. I personally never read the book, but after watching the film, it has my interest in reading the book. I really enjoyed ‘World War Z’ very much, now it’s not the best summer movie out right now and with a competitive summer, I don’t know where it will rank afterwards, but still a very good movie overall. What I admired the most about this zombie film was the realism that it brought. From the extremely realistic acting from lead great Brad Pitt, to the realistic style of directing and techniques that Marc Forster brought. One of the biggest attributes to that tale was the shaky camera technique. The feel of the shaky camera felt terrifyingly real, where you didn’t really see the zombies that much but you knew they were lurking around trying to kill our protagonist. Another aspect of the film that I valued a lot was the focused and development on our main character Brad Pitt. The movie really didn’t feel like a zombie move at all, not until the end that is. The movie focused on it’s main character throughout the whole film and never shied away from it. You feel all the emotions that our main character goes through, which is very beneficial for this type of genre. (Again, this movie shall be called ‘World War Brad Pitt’. The movie is very entertaining from beginning to end. The first act of the movie is very surreal, it’s the opening act to a zombie outbreak, and boy is it full of chaos. The third act of the movie is even more intense and thrilling then the first act of the film, which is very interesting because the makers of the film had to re-shoot and re-write the entire third act of the movie. Therefore, it was very intriguing to see how they play out the third act. The whole movie is intense and thrilling and has great visuals effects; it’s a great summer flick. Yeah, it’s not the best summer movie out right now only because it’s been a great summer for movies so far but ‘World War Z’ is still a great movie, which it’s worth every penny, defiantly a full price film.
  69. Sep 14, 2013
    Ive didnt watch this on theater due to bad reviews; I was stupid! this movie has everything going for a Zombie movie; and it's not afraid to use the Z world like they do nowadays. Don't know if the cut on bluray is very different from theaters, but it was thrilling from beggining to end. Great job too from mr. Pitt.
  70. Sep 22, 2013
    Not really a fan of the genre so my rating is not so high. However if you like this sort of thing, you'd probably like this movie. Good action but missing the blood and gore which seems to define the genre. Although, beware the plot is slow to develop and painfully obvious to endure at times. This is not Pitt's strongest performance either in my opinion.
  71. Sep 12, 2013
    First off, I did not read the book. It seems that most people who have, hated the movie. Me? I went in to it thinking it would be just like the rest of the zombie flicks, and I already have zombie burnout. But, low and behold Pitt fits the role perfectly, a baddass, but also an every-man who takes us through both well done suspense and outrageous action. The plot has a couple weak spots, yes, but as far as big action movie plots these days go, it's above average, and not a total slap in the face like many movies are. It's a popcorn munching thrill ride, and one of the better "overall experience" movies I've seen all year. That said, don't expect too much, because that always ruins it lol. Expand
  72. Jun 28, 2013
    The biggest problem I came across with this movie is the lack of action. Every single scene is shown in the trailer... and this leaves you with a lot of filler. Crucial plot points are given away in the trailer, too.

Also, there is an over-abundance of "boo" scenes... which belong in a cheap horror film. Walking down a hallway, real quiet.... then "BOO" AHHHHHH.

However, the story
    itself is pretty good. The ending is lac,king, but it moves along quite nicely. Expand
  73. Jul 4, 2013
    World War Z has a familiar feel to it considering all the zombie and apocalyptic movies that have been coming out lately, but it is certainly among the best of those movies. I was on the edge of my seat for pretty much the whole movie and I liked how they wasted no time before starting the action. If I was to complain about anything it probably be the ending where it seemed like they were setting the stage for a sequel. Expand
  74. Jul 6, 2013
    Ok so this was mildly entertaining.
    The first act was by far the best section of the movie...very tense, fast paced action and great presentation.
    From this point on the movie went downhill on a grand scale. I mean, the Israel sequence was bordering on insanity...what the hell was going on there? It seemed as soon as Pitt showed up all hell broke loose wherever he went. Better for him to
    have just stayed at home.
    The 3rd act just drove home how poor this film was and perhaps how great it could have been.
    The lab sequence relegated this in to Hollywood tosh with the generic hero saves the day nonsense. Tired formula...
    If the film had followed the book more closely (Yonkers could have been epic) and not have been a vehicle for brad pitt to once again show us how he cant act, we would have ended up with a film that wasn't just a bunch of chase sequences mashed together with a ridiculous plot line.
  75. Sep 5, 2013
    I read the book, and yes the movie isn't exactly like it. Now that we got past the obvious... While the movie is not exactly like the book and clearly been redone for a movie it does follow the same premise of a journalist type guy trying to piece together and find out what happened to cause zombies. The book is really good, so if you liked the movie go read it. The movie itself starts really bad and is all about annoying kids, then once Brad Pitt gets separated it gets good. If you like zombie type movies you'll like it. Expand
  76. Jul 5, 2013
    Disappointing, frustrating, when you expect the movie to begin, it ends in a boring and predictable way. Doesn't worth the money of the ticket. Don't waste your time, and money, watching this bad written mess.
  77. Jan 6, 2014
    Grande título de 2013, um dos filmes que mais gostei do ano
  78. Jun 30, 2013
    I'm going to be honest, I came into this movie with pretty low expectations, and a whole bunch of negative preconceptions.

The opening scenes, with piss poor character development and dialogue, a token, barely explained Mexican family, further accompanied by one of the fastest, jarring movie escalations I've ever seen barely helped my opinion here.

However, I stuck with it, forcing
    myself to grit through these early pitfalls, and to my surprise the movie actually got quite a bit better after it was done tripping over itself in the first 20 minutes.

Whilst character development remained poor at best, the protagonist travelled to a whole variety of interesting locations, which gave way to some incredibly tense action sequences throughout the film. Huge props to the special effects team on this one.

Overall, the writing was sub par, and one scene in South Korea involving Navy Seals felt like a first person shooter right wing nationalist circle jerk, giving off a feel of "hey look how cool and badass our special forces are!! yeah America!!" However, the film was saved through its plot sequence and variety of characters and locations, serving to keep each scene fresh somewhat unexpected.
  79. Mar 24, 2014
    I was expecting World War Z to be an over the top zombie movie, but it actually had a good story, and was fun to watch.I have not read the book, so I have no clue if it will live up to the expectations of those who have.
  80. Oct 5, 2013
    The first one and a half hour was a roller coaster ride. It was splendid. Fighting in South Korea, in the streets of Israel and inside a plane. The climax, unfortunately, dragged the tempo to a halt. Where it was epic in scale before, the movie decided to draw inward and concern itself with a petty WHO facility. That wasn't a very important event in the face of the worldwide pandemic. It should have been resolved quickly and the scope once again returned to epic. That event, even if it was very difficult to resolve, was not worthy of the climax and should have not been afforded more than ten minutes. The climax should have been something more in tune with what had happened before it. The production values are of course brilliant and it shows. The zombies, in my opinion, have not been done better than this. Brad Pitt plays his usual suave self, unflustered by anything going on about. It could have been better. The Israeli actress was a pleasant surprise. She played her character with resolve and skill. Expand
  81. Sep 18, 2013
    Watchable zombie blockbuster with decent special effects, some effectively tense moments, and a solid central performance from Brad Pitt. However, it's a letdown with a strange mixture of apocalyptic/zombie material, an episodic storyline in constant motion (sometimes just to keep moving), and an emotionally blank script tagged with a PG-13 rating for the masses. The movie frequently substitutes impressive CGI shots of zombie swarms for storytelling. The rushed ending feels cheap, and fans of Brooks' source material are going to wonder what happened. Too often it feels like empty chaos in an over elaborate disaster movie. Expand
  82. Jul 5, 2013
    For some parts of this movie, I was actually on the edge of my seat and found it rather thrilling. Brad Pitt is good and the others act decently enough, though the backgrounds of the characters aren't really explained thoroughly enough to make an impression, at least for me. The zombies are pretty cool, and scary to think about fast, strong, and more violent.

The lack of much blood and
    gore is a disappointment, to be sure, but it still had some decent action scenes. There were several rather questionable parts where there was either a lack of logic or a big leap in it.

A decent movie.
  83. Jul 16, 2013
    It's not bad for a zombie movie that has, reportedly, had a troubled production. Marc Forster directs with confidence and energy managing a large cast and the CGI to good effect. Ariel shots of crippled or panic stricken cities are impressively delineated and the mayhem is excitingly edited to within an inch of it's celluloid life, deploying the odd shock tactic to jumpy effect. The film has holes and implausibilities in abundance, but it is never less than entertaining. Two set pieces stand out. One aboard a plane and another, at the film's climax, in a lab. Both are riveting. Sound Design is excellent and the music unnervingly adds tension to the proceedings. In summation it is a lot better than anticipated. Expand
  84. Nov 26, 2013
    A decent enough movie that seems to be the only good "fast-zombie" movie I have seen. But that is all that this is: A generic zombie movie, but updated to be a bit more modern than traditional.

The pacing is just far too fast, and I get the feeling this movie would have worked better as a TV series (oh wait it does, Walking Dead anyone.) While I get the rushed narrative is intentionally
    put there to emphasize the atmosphere of the movie and also make us feel as rushed as the characters. But I went into this wanting to watch a movie, not partake in it.

Overall:
    World War Z is entertaining and can be very enjoyable if you want action and adrenaline in almost every scene. But, I prefer to see a movie with a bit more depth, and for me that is what this movie lacks. For me, I just say *meh* when I'm asked what I thought of it.

Fun, but instantly forgettable.
  85. Jan 3, 2014
    Brad Pitt and his long, luscious locks star as the main character Gerry Lane in this supposedly political thriller. Director Marc Forster unsuccessfully tries to emulate the mix of exciting and political effects which others (George A Romero, Danny Boyle) have done so well. The action scenes are clear and don't overuse shaky cam, even though there is a lot of it. While the acting is quite good and benefits from Tyler Durden himself Brad Pitt (and the new Doctor Who Peter Capaldi), the story is eerily familiar cough cough 28 Days Later cough cough and the resolution is just ****
    When the most exciting thing about a movie is Brad Pitt's new haircut, you have to accept that it's failed at being enjoyable. World War Z is nothing special, pretty much everything about it is just satisfactory.
  86. Jul 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. world war z is far from a faithful retelling of the book the only thing they share is the title Israel and the patient zero idea but that does not mean it's a bad film. the story basically consists of Brad Pitts character traveling to different country's around the world looking for answers to where the outbreak began and how to stop it. He goes to one place it all goes wrong he escapes and that is basically the film so it gets repetitive. Despite this the mass amounts of zombies and chaos is fun to watch and means you sort of forget about the repetitive nature of the story. Towards the end the film goes for a more calm suspenseful take which kind of makes it feel disconnected from the rest of the film but it still works. The idea that to make our troops invisible to the zombies by giving them a disease is interesting but I question how effective it would be i mean you cant expect an army of sick soldiers to fight the zombies it will be interesting to see how the idea works in the sequel. the ending is a bit abrupt but it works. Overall this is a great movie and defiantly worth a watch. Expand
  87. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The level of shock and awe that this movie gives off is astounding. Proving to be a happy surprise I have seen this summer, World War Z is quite a chilling thriller. The feeling of hopelessness is on par with the 70's remake "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", as their is literally almost no place safe on the once life filled planet we all love. The movie is scary to bet, but the most surprising aspect of the story is how emotional it is. The characters almost always react at how they would in certain situations. The expressions and emotions are felt as the characters themselves understand the horrifying situation they are in. It's what the world would be like in the middle of an apocalyptic crisis such as this. My only problem with any failed reaction is the little boy the family picks up early in the film. This kid narrowly escapes the bloody massacre of his family and is even chased by his undead parents and yet you hardly see any fear or state of shock from this poor kid whose life had just been completely destroyed within a day. While I am at it I should point out the ridiculousness this film has offered a few number of times. The so called "spectacular" zombified wall climb isn't impressing to me at all. This is where CGI get's overdone in many movies. The way they make the zombie break in scene is absolutely ridiculous. Their is no way sound would make the zombies attract themselves to the walled structure so much, that they would be able to pile on top of each other and scale a 200 ft wall! There could have been many more logical problems that could have arisen for the zombies to overtake the city. Things like these are what makes the movie slip whenever the tension that drives the story forward, come off as overdone and cheaply slapped on. The clumsiness of the zombies massing over each other like marbles are sometimes dumb as well. Still I praise the originality this movie has to offer. Brad Pit does an excellent job acting as the father of a desperate family trying to survive the terror. Now I have heard many people critic over the amount of violence in this movie. Well if you want to see an over the top blood and gorefest (their's enough horror movies made every year), than you came to the wrong place. You don't need to see everything and frankly it's what you don't see that will scare you the most in this film. Wherever you go you can almost feel the infected are going to pop up anywhere at anytime. Granted the INTENSE and violent nature of this film will leave you on the edge of your seat. The zombies are absolutely ruthless, doing whatever it takes to kill you. Just at how they hurl themselves at the characters and the speed at which they do will make you jump. Without a doubt, the last scene in the movie the most pulse pounding. Truly one of the most tense driven times I ever experienced in the cinema. It's really at the end where it all comes down to for originality. I love how ending is played out and it's uncertainty is faced. Give this flick a look. Expand
  88. Jul 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Nothing like the book which was excellent.
    It should have focused more on the terror of the individual in a typical housing estate, rather than onboard a totally safe Aircraft Carrier. The film's action seemed to be over 48 hours from infection to solution, as for the plane crash in Wales don't get me started. When are film makers going to have a central character that has human weaknesses and flaws Brad Pitt is superhuman in the film, surviving a farcical plane crash and a 10 inch piece of shrapnel through his vital organs.
  89. Jul 6, 2013
    I honestly think if the director would've separated the movie on 2 or 3 different parts it would've been so much better. On the other hand what you get is 2 hours of complete non sense and rush. If Mark Forster tried to show the illustration of horror and chaos in the begging then he did on 8/10, however the rest of the story was represented so poorly and with no logical conclusion. Ending also didn't give the answers.
    ..I would've given it 7 or 8 out of 10 if the main role would character would be played by somewhere else BUT Brad Pitt. No offence to Brad, but his overacting just pissed me off. I did like a bit of humor on back ground...but apart from that....the movie was meh...I wouldn't recommend to waste our money on this movie, but if you REALLY want to watch movie about zombies on a background
    then go ahead.
  90. May 14, 2014
    Consensus: World War Z despite its flaws, is thrilling, well acted, extremely intense and directed with energy. 83/100 (B+)

Who hasn't fun watching this? A completly unlikable and embittered person, it's really hard to hate this film because it was so exciting and intense every minute. I watch this film at 2:00 AM and believe me, it was an experience. World War Z is full of intense
    sequences of violence, astonishing horror and fun.

Not a big fan of the zombie sub-genre, but this one was very interesting, and one of the last year's greatest films. It's worth it, if you're reading this right now and you haven't seen the film yet, please stop reading and watch it!, just don't expect a well executed plot and a complex and smart screenplay. World War Z (as i said) has lots of fun, lots of action and lots of violence plus good performances... no more.

Brad Pitt performs Gerry Lane's character and he does a remarkable job during the hole film, he was so believable and probably the smartest character in this film. Also spotlight here to Segen (performed by the talented woman Daniella Kertesz), she and Brad Pitt make a good couple.

Its final act i found it confusing, unbelieveable and dumb. But still scary at times. Overall this film was great (despite its final act, that is very surreal and dumb) World War Z is an instant classic that has some flaws but all the action, all the tension and vibrant direction makes this film special, a must watch. Visit my blog: www.memobosque.blogspot.mx and follow me on Twitter: @MemoBosque
  91. Sep 3, 2013
    It's not a game changer in the zombie genre, but with a strong performance like always from Brad Pitt and just enough nuanced differences from its predecessors World War Z is just a fun time. B+
  92. Jun 27, 2013
    I thought that Max Brooks' "World War Z" was overrated because it lacked any real connection to any of the characters. The movie adaptation solves that problem to an extent, mostly because Brad Pitt can pretty much carry any movie he stars in. It's by no means a great movie, but it's suspenseful, thrilling entertainment for a few hours and worth seeing.
  93. Jul 2, 2013
    In my opinion this movie was awesome.It was no where near perfect,but it was fun and had me engaged the whole time.The story was amazing,but it had its fun and tense moments.Especially the first days after the outbreak and the final hallway scene.Actually any moment that involved infected was tense and fun.I really enjoyed this movie and i recomend it to any zombie fan.
  94. Oct 30, 2013
    Its great game, I loved it...Great story,setting and acting.... This zombie movie however is totally different from Classic zombies where zombie bite you,walk terrible etc. This one, they move very fast like sport car and bite you and you turn in 12 seconds...Great film!
  95. Sep 12, 2013
    I originally had low expectations for this movie (even as a huge fan of the Walking Dead, I'm feeling "zombie-fatigued"). But the idea that zombies are both fast and "swarm" (like ants crawling on top of each other) to climb a huge wall is a unique twist that could make this movie fun to watch (written May 2013). And it ended up being a blast. It introduced an original story-line to
    the zombie-apocalypse genre. First, an origin to why the zombie plague
    started. Second, the potential for a cure? And lastly, Brad Pitt as the
    best dad/survivalist ever. If I had to pick my team to battle the
    zombie apocalypse, I'd want Brad on my team, no matter that he is 20
    times more handsome than me. (written July 2013)

After-note: If you saw the movie, don't read the book. In this rare
    case, the book falls short of the movie. The book is told in
    "documentary-style" based on memos etc. that recall the events "after"
    World War Z. The movie tells it in real-time which is how it should be
    experienced.
  96. Jul 11, 2013
    From someone who hasn't read the book to this movie i really enjoyed it. Id highly recommend this movie to my friends.
    Its full of action and suspense.
  97. Rem
    Jul 12, 2013
    Thrilling, exciting, and grand scale moments really sell the movie, however, some hamfisted storytelling and the fact that I didn't care about the main character's family shows how much they wanted an emotional experience. The scenario is more dire than ever and the zombies in this film are amazingly animated. It could have been more if it gave a more meaningful goal at the start. The ending though I have to say is an impressive one, and one of the more powerful scenes I have seen this year. Expand
  98. Jun 26, 2013
    Lte me start with my big problem no blood no cursing no gore and this movie needed it it felt like they censored and im watching it in Malaysia. And generic story as expected. i like the zombies movement and graphics do not watch it in 3D took away from experience they ahd almost nothing not a even one great 3D shoot.
  99. Jun 27, 2013
    Interesting plot good acting intense moments one of the best zombie movie ever! Also the big of "World War Z" is satisfying conclusion. Overall it's a fresh view of this genre!
  100. Jul 11, 2013
    Accion que no deja que los que suelen dormir en los cines no duerman, es una película con sentido de lo que solian ser los zombies en las diferentes peliculas se encuentran y se matan, una buena pelicula y deja algo que pensar al fin de todo

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 29, 2013
    World War Z is the most gratifying action spectacle in years, and one reason for its success if the Pitt doesn't play a superhero. [1 July 2013, p.76]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Director Marc Forster is very good at amping up the terror, but after a while, we reach zombie overload and we might as well be watching an infestation of Transformers.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jun 21, 2013
    Given how efficiently World War Z has delivered jolts and screams over the course of its sleek 116-minute running time, it’s easy to forgive this rushed and slightly muted finale.