6.8

1. Sep 6, 2013
    World War Z is a very good Action, Horror movie because it brings out all the horror and action you can get, in some parts it's very gory bust mostly action love this movie I think it's a little bit underrated.
  2. Aug 25, 2013
    A very good zombie movie. A little bit underrated. For me it's a very good movie with very beautiful soundtracks by Marco Beltrami. The most important is that it's not a scary movie but a very good adventure movie. Brad Pitt was amazing at his role. Watch this film and have fun!!
  3. Oct 20, 2013
    I'll start by saying as an adaptation it is a failure. That said not comparing this to the book and looking at it as it's own movie with nothing else, I have to say this movie is boring and on more than one occasion I was actively hoping Brad Pitt would die and we could follow some other more interesting character that is around him.

The story follows a complete Mary Sue or Gary Stu

The story follows a complete Mary Sue or Gary Stu who is incapable of failing at literally anything he does. Even in his failures he succeeds! He robs a pharmacy and find the exact looter who is not only willing to help him but then encourages him while complete chaos break out around him and did I mention he gets the exact last bit of medicine that he need? After being led on to believe it is all out the looter shows up to ask him what he is looking for and give it to him and wish him luck. Oh but it was just humanity helping each other out. It would be if it happened again or maybe if while he wasn't looking for it his wife wasn't about to get raped. He and his children survive a car crash, not just a fender bender but a full of T-bone collision while his asthmatic daughter isn't buckled up and the only problem she has is that she is hyperventilating but she is still capable of running since at that exact moment they are swarmed by "zombies". We are introduced to much more interesting characters all through the movie only to watch them die or just leave. Brad Pitt tells people he need to get back to his family, only to have a random no named soldier try to reprimand him by questioning why he thinks he is so special since they all have families that want to get back to and he never gives a reason why he is so important. In fact his character has no importance there is nothing that makes him so special. They say he was a reporter at one time and that he was good but he does nothing that no one else can't do. Everything about this movie is boring or bad. I'm a fan of the original book but I knew going into this it had nothing to do with it in anyway other than title and I still came out disappointed and upset that it cost me after matinee.
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    Really fun and awsome. I like the massive zombie scenes and i like Brad Pitt as an actor. World War Z is for me one of the best zombie movies i ever seen. GO WATCH IT!
  5. Jun 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brad Pitt muddles through this messy nonsense with a supporting family you just want to strangle. A clinging wife sniffling and sickly children do more to distract their father placing them all in more danger than the zombies. The young scientist who was the world's best hope to find a solution to the zombie problem is unfortunately put In a situation that required a different skill set.

A wall protecting a whole country letting everyone in failed to plan to keep the zombies out! Planes land with their off ramp left open. Come on in zombies Oh what about using the ventilation system in the WHO lab to zap the zombies with a sleeping agent or to navigate through the building without running into the zombies.

Ok it's a good trick to drop the audience into the middle of the story. We don't have a clue what created the zombies or how they will be cured. But we do know that Lane is the hero and a good man who loves his family.

But Lane gave Lane enough insight the find a solution to survival.
  6. Jun 21, 2013
    An edge of your seat, never let's go, smart and powerful thrill ride. The film makers achieved a great blend of a global perspective with out loosing the personal story. I haven't enjoyed a film this much in years.
  7. Jun 23, 2013
    Bred Patts is good ector. He be all in zombie face like the face of a zombie. Zombies also have good act and moksup and stuff. Movie sucks. 3/10 stars.
  8. Jun 23, 2013
    I was simply blown away with how amazing this film really was. It's safe to say it's up there as one of the best zombie films, but its also one of the more unique zombie movies that has been made as they put a real twist on the genre. Brad Pitt leads the way in a cast of no other real stand-outs as family man Gerry trying to get his loved ones to safety along with working out what startedI was simply blown away with how amazing this film really was. It's safe to say it's up there as one of the best zombie films, but its also one of the more unique zombie movies that has been made as they put a real twist on the genre. Brad Pitt leads the way in a cast of no other real stand-outs as family man Gerry trying to get his loved ones to safety along with working out what started an outbreak. It had minor flaws but they were overshadowed by effective scenery & impressive CGI. Top stuff! Expand
  9. Jun 21, 2013
    I was extremely disappointed. I read the book and this film had barely a passing resemblance to the plot. I couldn't help but mutter how stupid the last third of the movie was. Frankly the book lent itself to being the basis of a TV show, and not a movie adaptation.
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    So it wasn't like the book? Get over it. It happens pretty often. I thought it was still a very entertaining movie and am looking forward to the sequel.
  11. Jun 21, 2013
    It was a real solid movie that was structured well and took you along for the ride. I will say that it does stray in many key ways from the book but it does work. Pitt's role did not exist in the book and to tell the story through so many different charters, as Brooks did in the book, would be more suited for a tv series. A must see!
  12. Jun 22, 2013
    Wonderful Cinematography! Love this movie so much more than 28 Days Later and I love that movie! Great depth and subtext, I will absolutely buy the 3D version when it's available. If you like pandemic or zombie flicks at all GO SEE THIS MOVIE!
  13. Jun 23, 2013
    This was a great summer blockbuster with a thrilling plot that kept you engaged. It was an impressive amount of science fiction and story for an action/zombie movie. Far superior to any other Zombie movie in history...and yes...even better than Night of the Living Dead.

The negative reviews must be from those that abhor action, zombie, and/or science fiction movies. No clue why you would watch this if you weren't into at least one of those categories (and I am not a big fan of action movies...tired of the car jumping the hill in downtown San Francisco...know what I mean).
  14. Jun 24, 2013
    Not sure if the "Z" means the last World War or if it stands for zombie. Either way, there's a worldwide outbreak of undead and Brad Pitt is dispatched by the UN to solve the crisis. The plot is standard formula (there's even a kid with asthma) and dotted with leaps of logic. The frantic fervor of the zombies is the only cool special effect. Throughout his worldwide quest, the action neverNot sure if the "Z" means the last World War or if it stands for zombie. Either way, there's a worldwide outbreak of undead and Brad Pitt is dispatched by the UN to solve the crisis. The plot is standard formula (there's even a kid with asthma) and dotted with leaps of logic. The frantic fervor of the zombies is the only cool special effect. Throughout his worldwide quest, the action never loses momentum and borders on gripping. Expand
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is something about zombies and the the death of humanity and then there's this guy and he's Brad Pitt and some computer zombies and a Israeli army lady and some zombies and something about disease and then it ends but it doesn't end and hugs all around. Eff-U World War Z. I'm 116 minutes older. Expand
  16. Jun 22, 2013
    My true score is 6,7. This isn't a bad movie... it isn't great either...
    It offers good moments such as the abundance of infected people trying to reach a city, specially in the big screen and in 3D, but lacks creativity... This is the typical movie that you watch the poster, see Brad Pit's name in it and you know he is going to save the humanity somehow.
    It isn't a boring movie, but
    My true score is 6,7. This isn't a bad movie... it isn't great either...
    It isn't a boring movie, but it's to predictable, and unrealistic: [BEGIN SPOILERS]
    First they get straight to the point, a little rushed in my opinion.
    Then, the great finale... In a room full of controlled diseases, the "Hero" has to guess what will he inject himself with so he'll be able to camouflage himself from the infected people and.... Yes! What a surprise, you guessed it right!!! the right disease, the right quantity, and ONE person saves the world.
    It's a clear cly che, but you know... It's not mind blow movie but it's an okay one.
    If the movie you wanted to see in the theaters is full or unavailable, this is a fine choice.
  17. Jun 28, 2013
    This movie is just a mess. It's not... awful. The effects are nice, and some of the action scenes are actually quite well directed. A scene set in Jerusalem where hordes of zombies form a human ladder stands out as particularly memorable. Brad Pitt does a decent, if not particularly memorable job as Jerry. All of the other characters whinge dramatically at the camera in hushed tones aboutThis movie is just a mess. It's not... awful. The effects are nice, and some of the action scenes are actually quite well directed. A scene set in Jerusalem where hordes of zombies form a human ladder stands out as particularly memorable. Brad Pitt does a decent, if not particularly memorable job as Jerry. All of the other characters whinge dramatically at the camera in hushed tones about the horrors they've witnessed in a manner that has become par for the course in zombie fiction, but the problems with this film lie not with the actors, the effects, or the direction. The good things about the film are bogged down by the fact that the plot is absolutely abysmal. Almost every single action that drives the "story" forward is predicated entirely on human stupidity. SPOILER ALERT: The crowning achievement actually comes rather early on when the man who is supposed to be the last, best hope for humanity; the most brilliant scientist on the planet, trips and accidentally shoots himself in the brain. That is absurd. END SPOILERS It's just a bad story poorly told, so much so that, for me, by the end of the movie, it felt as though it were interminable (even though it's only about 100 minutes long). That said, it does have some cool set-piece moments. If you can catch it on TV in a few months, you'll have paid the perfect price for it. Expand
  18. Jun 22, 2013
    The characters are actually really intelligent. In most horror movies, I catch myself thinking "Don't do that, don't do that you idiot!" over and over again. There was none of that here; lots of people die, but the people who live don't live because of plot armor or random chance. They survive because they're determined and intelligent, and that's rare in most movies. Even the minorThe characters are actually really intelligent. In most horror movies, I catch myself thinking "Don't do that, don't do that you idiot!" over and over again. There was none of that here; lots of people die, but the people who live don't live because of plot armor or random chance. They survive because they're determined and intelligent, and that's rare in most movies. Even the minor characters are capable of taking hints and taking measures to defend themselves and each other. Even crowds of people are not just mindless lemmings.

Also, there are several strong female and minority characters. The protagonist's wife gets a bit too weepy, but that isn't enough to bring down a suspenseful and intelligent movie.

I really liked how no one wasted time trying to figure out what zombies were. The characters don't break down in disbelief or have long, drawn out arguments about the nature of their enemy. We know what zombies are, the characters know what zombies are--they're perceptive. There's no tacky "IT CAN'T BE!" sequence in which most of the characters deny the threat, a moment most zombie movies fall victim to.

The special effects are also really good. It's just a shame most of the subtleties flew over peoples' heads.
  19. Jun 21, 2013
    Major kudos goes to Brad Pitt, as he navigates the audience through the bumpy, but still enjoyably thrilling ride that is "World War Z." Although, it's certainly funny when it shouldn't be, and askew as hell, it still marks a worthy notch into the belt of the zombie genre.
  20. Jun 23, 2013
    let me save you some money, don't bother. poor writing, implausible in every way, especially with Pitt having a spear through him and three days later he is fighting the zombies again. lame, cookie cutter script makes you sleepy.
  21. Jun 22, 2013
    My problem with this movie might have been my expectations because I love a good zombie movie but to be honest I still think this movie would fall flat again even with a 2nd viewing (which will wait until dvd release). I give a lot of leeay because it's a zombie flick but the staples of a good zombie flick where forgotten in this movie. Couple that with amazing plot holes and that =1My problem with this movie might have been my expectations because I love a good zombie movie but to be honest I still think this movie would fall flat again even with a 2nd viewing (which will wait until dvd release). I give a lot of leeay because it's a zombie flick but the staples of a good zombie flick where forgotten in this movie. Couple that with amazing plot holes and that =1 bummed out zombie fan. Expand
  22. Jun 21, 2013
    Brad Pitt can bring up ratings and I enjoy watching him in the movies but he was not enough for this movie. I do not think this was a good movie. I think the movie was done good. I just think a zombie movie is not the best choice to spend $200,000 million on.
    This movie is not a movie I would watch again so that tells you everything...
    Do you want the truth or a lie???
  23. Jun 29, 2013
    I love this movie. Kinda like the Walking Dead on steroids. Great acting by Brad and the whole cast. I'm hoping they do a sequel because I would like to see where the storyline goes. Seeing as this did not follow the book very closely they have many options where they could take it. I would like to see the characters expanded on a bit and then of course the solution, search for the cure orI love this movie. Kinda like the Walking Dead on steroids. Great acting by Brad and the whole cast. I'm hoping they do a sequel because I would like to see where the storyline goes. Seeing as this did not follow the book very closely they have many options where they could take it. I would like to see the characters expanded on a bit and then of course the solution, search for the cure or just the journey to how they got where they are. Expand
  24. Jun 21, 2013
    Wow it's powerful. Literally keeps you at the edge of your seat and throws twists and turns relentlessly. It's smart, scary and a joy to watch.

The story acts more as a preview of the book rather than a full adaptation. But, I was delightfully surprised that the movie was able to include so many perspectives of the outbreak in various countries.
  25. Jun 21, 2013
    If you loved the book, this will not be a good movie. If you didn't, maybe you can see some redeeming factor in it, because as a fan of the book, i did not.
  26. Jun 22, 2013
    So there you have them: Will Smith, trying to save humanity and find a cure to revert the process and make all zombies human again, and Brad Pitt, choosing to burn them alive or dead, since they're zombies and contribute to our extinction.
    Brad, that's not cool, man, just not cool.
  27. Jun 28, 2013
    This movie was terrible. It was a Syfy movie with better graphics. About half-way through, I decided to continue watching simply because I wanted to see how stupid things got, and I wasn't disappointed. The "solution" is one of the most absurd things seen in a zombie movie yet, and as others have stated, I simply did not care about anyone in this movie. It really felt like they kindaThis movie was terrible. It was a Syfy movie with better graphics. About half-way through, I decided to continue watching simply because I wanted to see how stupid things got, and I wasn't disappointed. The "solution" is one of the most absurd things seen in a zombie movie yet, and as others have stated, I simply did not care about anyone in this movie. It really felt like they kinda filmed the first 2/3 of the script and then got stuck, and then kinda threw together something for the end.

As others have also said, this has nothing to do with the book. I'm fine with that as long as it could at least be in the same universe as the thing it got its name from, which it can't. This definitely goes on the list of the last zombie movies to watch during the zombie apocalypse.
  28. Jul 8, 2013
    For all of the buzz about it delivering, it sure lacks delivery. The CGI zombie warfare destroying cities didn't do anything original, and the film became a globetrotting mission of hilariously-overdone stunts that even in Hollywood is a stretch. You've seen this before and you won't remember this 2 weeks after you've seen it. Worth a rental.
  29. Jun 29, 2013
    A hopeless mess of a movie, with the occasional interesting visuals. If you're going to have absolutely nothing to do with the source material, why bother using the name?
  30. Jun 22, 2013
    The good well it actually had a good introduction to a beginning on how the zombies came, zombies actually feel like zombies and had the best way of setting out a good plot twist like first you are in Philadelphia then ends up to be on a ship and you go to Jerusalem, and it seems as if Brad Pitt did a good job in this movie.

The Bad well the bad ending got me confused like your not

The Bad well the bad ending got me confused like your not suppose to do this, the middle of the movie felt like it was really drawn out and as if they were to lazy to come up with a way to do the middle and less action came on and the movie just felt boring in the middle I hope the director makes a World War Z part 2 this movie just has a couple of flaws just from being a solid 10 because if it you must be a fan of zombie thrilling action then you must watch it.
  31. Jul 15, 2013
    Absolute balls, although spot on if you were to add zz to the title. Brad 'the' Pitts once more shows us his Jesus hairdo, especially in a ridiculous halo lit scene that proves he's not the second coming, 'just a very naughty boy'. Oh, and any film that doesn't properly utilize Peter Capaldi and his prolific use of the word c**t when it's more than apt, should be put to sleep, preferablyAbsolute balls, although spot on if you were to add zz to the title. Brad 'the' Pitts once more shows us his Jesus hairdo, especially in a ridiculous halo lit scene that proves he's not the second coming, 'just a very naughty boy'. Oh, and any film that doesn't properly utilize Peter Capaldi and his prolific use of the word c**t when it's more than apt, should be put to sleep, preferably not to come back from the dead for a sequel. Expand
  32. Jun 25, 2013
    Do not waste your hard earned money on this mess of a movie. Shame on you Brad Pitt. No horror, no plot, no connection between Pitt and his family and not thrilling at all. si-fi is all you will get, and bad at that also.
  33. Jun 21, 2013
    What a bland un characterised piece of that was.No thought or detail was put into the making of this film and instead it was a distorted mess of ideas glued together just because they looked cool.Seemingly the scenes have no connections but the dull and boring characters reveal more plot points than bullets fired in the movie.While it does look impressive and is well acted that does notWhat a bland un characterised piece of that was.No thought or detail was put into the making of this film and instead it was a distorted mess of ideas glued together just because they looked cool.Seemingly the scenes have no connections but the dull and boring characters reveal more plot points than bullets fired in the movie.While it does look impressive and is well acted that does not change the fact that this movie has no character or any emotional connection going for it.Nothing is detailed and the whole thing is rushed,save yourself 10 dollars and don't see it Expand
  34. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst adaptation of a book EVER. There was no reason for them to even claim this was based on the book. If you're expecting the book, don't bother with this movie.

If you've never read or heard of the book, don't bother either. It's so poorly written, and poorly acted. People make unrealistically stupid decisions because the screenwriting couldn't think of a more clever way to move the story along. The zombies are inconsistent with their strength and speed, with these characteristics changing from scene to scene. They go from superhuman speed and strength to clumsy dolts that you can easily outrun.

Honestly, if I hadn't have gone with my wife, I would have just walked out.
  35. Jun 26, 2013
    its the best zombie movie currently out there!better than zombieland, 28 weeks later and many more.im a huge zombie fan and i can say this is fantastic .zombie fans will be thrilled with this.its action packed from start to finish.plots very good, zombies are even better because theyre different,they dont walk they run like ants and theyre making a sequal!a must see! probably the bestits the best zombie movie currently out there!better than zombieland, 28 weeks later and many more.im a huge zombie fan and i can say this is fantastic .zombie fans will be thrilled with this.its action packed from start to finish.plots very good, zombies are even better because theyre different,they dont walk they run like ants and theyre making a sequal!a must see! probably the best movie of 2013 soo far and its actually already one of my favourite movies! Expand
  36. Jun 23, 2013
    I'm not a big fan of zombies, but I really liked this movie.
    I though the idea was very original, the way they figure out the 'cure' for the disease and even the kinda open ending, was very good. It has a little bit of everything, the love Gery shows for his family, a little bit of mistery and one or two surprise moments that make you jump of your seat. I don't regret seeing it in the movies.
  37. Jun 24, 2013
    The movie keeps my interest, however I do not find myself glad for seeing it. Nor do I find myself saying ti is a bad movie. The movie had some parts that were a little cheesy, it was not on the top of my list of zombie films. The movie felt like the focus was more on Brad Pitt being a hero rather than humans trying to stop zombies.
  38. Jun 24, 2013
    If Walt Disney made a terrible zombie movie, this is what it would be. I think if you're a teenager, don't understand basic biology or the military, you'll probably connect well with this movie. Otherwise you're going to count both the time you had to work to pay for it and the time you then wasted watching it as a loss.

Parallels to the book: Infected people attack non infected

Parallels to the book:
    Infected people attack non infected
    Israel builds a wall
    And nothing else.

There was one really great scene in the beginning that was novel. The other one hour and fifty nine minutes is uninspired garbage. If you haven't read the books and don't care, it was a mediocre zombie movie. If you have read the books please do not go watch this.
  39. Jun 30, 2013
    Unmitigated swill. We have come to expect much better when Brad Pitt is aboard, since he's a talented draw who can pick and choose his projects. This film, however, demonstrates only that these days, the bigger the budget, the stupider the film. There is almost no plot here, just a zillion cartoonish, CGI zombies with rabies getting shot, hacked, burned, stabbed and punched as theyUnmitigated swill. We have come to expect much better when Brad Pitt is aboard, since he's a talented draw who can pick and choose his projects. This film, however, demonstrates only that these days, the bigger the budget, the stupider the film. There is almost no plot here, just a zillion cartoonish, CGI zombies with rabies getting shot, hacked, burned, stabbed and punched as they just keep comin'. The moment of suspense, such as it is, is near the end, when Brad Pitt must retrieve the save-the-world serum from a lab where zombies dwell. The stupidest plot point of the year involved Pitt's wife and kids getting 86'd from their safe haven by the Guvamint. You have to see it to laugh at it. I'm sure a dozen absolutely talentless hacks worked on the alleged script. Expand
  40. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I never read the book but I was very disappointed by this film. The plot is just terrible. It lacks depth almost entirely. Go to South Korea, flight a few zombies and leave. Go to Israel, get overrun by zombies and leave. Survive a plane crash in England and happen upon a WHO facility and magically solve the mystery. Just ridiculous. You know a zombie movie is bad when people start laughing at the zombies in the theater. Comedy and the world ending don't mix too well. Felt like they could have done so much better but this just fell flat on its face... Expand
  41. Jun 21, 2013
    I really wanted this to be awesome, I mean, who doesn't right? Brad Pitt at the helm of a big budget zombie flick amidst the increasing popularity of the post-apocalyptic phenomenon, what’s not to like? Truth is, the audience just like the countries of the world should have seen the inevitable. Unfortunately the film’s real virus was the poor script that it can’t shake, despite itsI really wanted this to be awesome, I mean, who doesn't right? Brad Pitt at the helm of a big budget zombie flick amidst the increasing popularity of the post-apocalyptic phenomenon, what’s not to like? Truth is, the audience just like the countries of the world should have seen the inevitable. Unfortunately the film’s real virus was the poor script that it can’t shake, despite its blockbuster CGI immune system. It saving grace, comes when you pair it against what where used to, gory, suspense but reasonably ‘low scale’, i.e. we never really get to see the initial panic. Movies like 28 days later transport us to the barren remains of the earth. World War Z doesn't stop at the before and after shots, we get everything in-between. That’s what I liked, and what saved it at times when it lagged behind expectation. This movie had the same feel as ‘The Day After Tomorrow’; essentially the audience gets sold a ‘one size fits all’ zombie movie, hoping for a ‘Goldilocks’ like effect. To its detriment, it lacked the pizazz it was well and truly capable of. Expand
  42. Jul 31, 2013
    Absolutely nothing like the book. and I mean nothing. Did I mention it is an entirely different franchise? It's like they suckered in people by buying rights to the name. It is garbage what they did to the story. Skip this in theaters, go read the book instead.
  43. BKM
    Nov 8, 2013
    As zombie flicks go, World War Z is a surprisingly muted affair. There's never a true sense of fear or mass hysteria and Brad Pitt seems to be on some sort of sedative throughout the film. The suspense finally starts to kick in during the final act, but even that isn't enough to make Marc Forster's popcorn flick more than an afterthought once the credits roll.
  44. Jun 29, 2013
    World War Z is a new zombie film based on the event novel by Max Brooks. The movie is seems to be okay with audiences and critics gave a positive review. I have mix feelings about the new movie because the film is been delayed after they have huge problems to make a big zombie film for redoing the script, take time with the story, and making a realistic event just like the novel. The newWorld War Z is a new zombie film based on the event novel by Max Brooks. The movie is seems to be okay with audiences and critics gave a positive review. I have mix feelings about the new movie because the film is been delayed after they have huge problems to make a big zombie film for redoing the script, take time with the story, and making a realistic event just like the novel. The new story takes place in the United States where UN investigator, Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) and his family are having a good time in a road, unfortunately the crisis of mad zombies taking over the world and of course the entire nation was corrupted by fast zombie diseases. Lane and his family escape from the apocalyptic world, until the crew wants Lane to find someone who has a cure to make the zombies go down or save the entire people in each country. The zombies are fast and blood eating monsters and they capture the people in the fast CG effect including one scene where zombies are climbing the top of the hill like a large ant hill. The scenes are pretty scary to look at and zombies scare away from the screen. The characters are alright, but not closely to the book, but they stay focus on the protagonist to fight over zombies. World War Z is an okay film, but the film is pretty lacking like how the zombies climb on the wall, how does the zombie affect the entire world, or does the book explains about real events of tragedy or survivors. The film is rated PG-13, but it goes down of making this movie pretty decent and we can't sure if the movie is safe for teens and we might quite to make this movie for an adults like putting into the R rated. World War Z is fine and little entertaining, but nothing special. Thumb Down. Expand
  45. Jul 13, 2013
    HORRIBLE! I am a Sci-Fi lover and couldn't wait for this to come out. However, the story is so stupid it reminds me of the my other pick for Worst Ever Sci-Fi, "The Day After Tomorrow". From Brad's idiotic expressions and shallow sentiments ("No, Government Guy, I just CAN'T bring myself to help save the world because I need to be here to tuck my kids into bed at night when they areHORRIBLE! I am a Sci-Fi lover and couldn't wait for this to come out. However, the story is so stupid it reminds me of the my other pick for Worst Ever Sci-Fi, "The Day After Tomorrow". From Brad's idiotic expressions and shallow sentiments ("No, Government Guy, I just CAN'T bring myself to help save the world because I need to be here to tuck my kids into bed at night when they are safe on this big military ship") to the absurd ridiculousness of many of the plot points (like are they REALLY going to waste a military helicopter in an extreme EMERGENCY to remove his family from the ship just because he went MIA? Did they really eat that much food? WTF!). This movie was an EPIC failure. Nothing wrong with the action scenes, but if you like your mind engaged while you watch a movie, you will be sorely disappointed. Expand
  46. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Might as well been called "I am legend meets 28 days later". Brainless action flick that employs jump scares to startle the audience. Has a barely existent plot and logic, and barely has anything to do with either the novelization of World War Z or The Zombie Survival Guide. Is functionally inept when it comes to camera work (shaky cam all over the place), to the point where you can't tell what the hell is going on. Utilizes stock footage in the beginning and then CGI where there doesn't need to be CGI. Did you really have to use CGI actors in the goddamn Harrier scenes? Things happen because the script demands they happen, the dialogue is goofy and sometimes hard to understand, characterization is non-existent, and the way the zombies work in this movie is frankly stupid. No tactics are used by the military to combat the zombies (something that was prevalent in the novelization) and people act functionally retarded in survival situations. The logic behind the infection is parasitic in nature, despite the nature of the infection being viral. No hive intelligence can be born out of a viral infection, no matter how hard the writers to try to convince us or how hard they crap all over the source material. Apparently, all it takes is a serious infection via a deadly but treatable disease to become "invisible" to the zombies... because they don't want to infect hosts who are seriously sick. Yes really. First off, they say a virus wouldn't kill a zombie. Okay... so why would a zombie care if the victim is infected with H1N1? Why would it care? Flesh is flesh. There supposed to be ZOMBIES, NOT rabid humans. 28 days later already did something similar to that guys.

If you want brainless action and can bear with the constant shaky cam and inability to tell what the hell is going on as a result, then go see this movie. If you don't mind that most of the budget was likely spent on Brad Pitt and the CGI, and want to see a poorly executed film, go see this movie. If you want a competently made movie, give this stinker a pass. 4/10: what the hell was Max Brooks thinking when he okayed this?
  47. Jul 6, 2013
    Boring. Really just epically boring. Once you've wrapped your head around that, you've the additional problem with the fact that whoever called the shots on this film didn't once bother to listen to their military advisors. I was gonna give this movie the benefit of the doubt, until I watched a C-whateverthatwas launch off an aircraft carrier (or was it a helicopter carrier?)... that'sBoring. Really just epically boring. Once you've wrapped your head around that, you've the additional problem with the fact that whoever called the shots on this film didn't once bother to listen to their military advisors. I was gonna give this movie the benefit of the doubt, until I watched a C-whateverthatwas launch off an aircraft carrier (or was it a helicopter carrier?)... that's when I kew, this movie was gonna suck.

Wherever Brad Pitt goes (Camp Humpheys, S.Korea; Tel Aviv, Israel; Cardiff, Wales), whatever was working for the survivors up that point just suddenly fails, and the zombie onslaught ensues. No one in the movie really matters, and so you don't care about any of them either, which is fine, since there's like an 80% chance they'll be dead in the next 5~10 minutes.

What was the point of this movie anyway? I mean, it's not really a zombie movie, or at least not a very convincing one. It's not really a disaster movie either. It's not a moving drama, on any level, despite the annihilation of human civilization, which, if you remember, we don't care about anyway! It's not even a good action movie. It is however a disaster OF a movie.

The pacing is awful, since it's in a big damn rush to get somewhere, and ignores anything that's interesting along the way, to arrive at, well, what feels an awful lot like a sneaking around video game (think MGS, or Splinter cell, only stupid, boring, and not really that tense). The solution, once finally arrived at, is haltingly stupid. War of the planets stupid. "Oh, it was all just a dream" kind of stupid.

And then, right when we've done all the heavy lifting, suspended all disbelief, given the last of the benefit of the doubt we can afford, right when our ultra-megaviolence should kick in, we get a montage ending that looks suspiciously like a middle finger. Not a proper middle finger either. A metaphorical one.

And rumor has it they wanna make another one of these.
  48. Jul 8, 2013
    There were so many eye rolling moments that the movie became ridiculous. In the theater I was in people were laughing at the teeth chattering zombies. This was not a scary film at all, but how can you possibly be scared when the camera is moving so erratically that you can't see anything that is happening? The trendy "constantly moving camera" that is so in favor with directors theseThere were so many eye rolling moments that the movie became ridiculous. In the theater I was in people were laughing at the teeth chattering zombies. This was not a scary film at all, but how can you possibly be scared when the camera is moving so erratically that you can't see anything that is happening? The trendy "constantly moving camera" that is so in favor with directors these days must end! I shouldn't have to take a motion sick pill to watch a movie, and it is simply a trick that Hollywood uses so they don't have to properly choreograph scenes. The Brad Pitt character is obviously a super genius. He figures out how to stop the zombies with only one or two VERY minor clues. This is not the worst film I've seen this year, but I was sorry I wasted my money on it. Expand
  49. Jul 16, 2013
    Having been de-sensitised after watching "The Walking Dead" series I guess I wasn't so shocked to see more zombies but it was still pretty nail biting stuff. Where the movie falls down in a big way is just the silliness of the plot, and the acting was not up to scratch either.
  50. Jul 3, 2013
    Weak plot, wooden dialogue and at times breathtakingly stupid.

The zombie effects were somewhat interesting (which is why I didn't give it a plain zero) but aside from that the movie was an utter waste of time and money.
  51. Jul 9, 2013
    Based on the book by Max Brooks, World War Z tells the story of a zombie outbreak and a fathers quest to keep his family safe. The film ultimately thrives thanks to director Marc Forster's grasp of tension and wonder and how to bring them both out simultaneously in his shots. The film follows Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), a stay at home father who was a UN investigator before his kids were born.Based on the book by Max Brooks, World War Z tells the story of a zombie outbreak and a fathers quest to keep his family safe. The film ultimately thrives thanks to director Marc Forster's grasp of tension and wonder and how to bring them both out simultaneously in his shots. The film follows Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), a stay at home father who was a UN investigator before his kids were born. When an outbreak occurs, Gerry is sent to discover the source of the outbreak, patient zero, which sends him all over the world as he tries to find a way to save humanity and by extension, his family. World War Z really does feel like 2 films due to its highly publicized re-shoots. There are famous actors (Matthew Fox) reduced to bit parts thanks to story retooling, differences in dialogue from the trailers, World War Z just shifts about halfway through the film from political thriller to all out thriller. The overpowering politics of the first half effectively vanish in the new material in favour of a tense final set piece that is incredibly well made. That doesn't mean the first half is bad, in fact World War Z is smart, cleverly constructed and well filmed. The script however is cliche ridden in the first act of the film with the outbreak being unique but often times sullied by cheesy dialogue or unclear action set pieces (a particular scene on a apartment block staircase is really hard to watch). Pitt makes Gerry a likeable lead but at times it comes across as slightly unbelievable, his ability to escape situations even the strongest people couldn't. The film lacks the feel of an apocalyptic event at times as the film is restricted by its 12A rating but it doesn't take much away from the experience. To be honest, this is a zombie apocalypse I will happily watch again. Expand
  52. Jul 12, 2013
    If you enjoy zombie movies or read the book do not go see this movie. There are no zombies in the movie just a bunch of things that run 4 times faster than a humans, so I guess it's a superhero movie with brad pitt as the star.

If you like zombies, read the book, its amazing. This film is an insult to it and writing in general. There were so many straight up stupid moments I almost left the movie. The whole reason zombie movies are scary is because there is this huge hoard of unfeeling creatures which will never stop coming after you, just like Jason or Freddy or plenty of others they don't need to hurry...because they always catch you. Unlike a human they never tire out, that's creepy. So why make them run at ludicrous speed?!

Uber-stupid writing moments from the movie:

Example 1: You are a highly trained group of soldiers, a plane needs refueling, and there are creatures running around that are attracted to sound. Do you: Go out in the night when its raining and completely dark or hmmm wait a few hours for some sunlight...

Example 2: Singing on loudspeakers causes zombies to get smarter, adapt and climb a 100 ft wall....

Example 3: We are safe on an airplane and after a very long flight the zombie (who normally runs at ludicrous speed) decided to come out of hiding as the plane makes its final descent! OMG ...(I'm picturing the zombie sitting on some luggage drinking a fruit juice as we waits for his perfect moment....)

Dramatic moments don't have to be stupid and not follow logic. The book is full of creepy moments and it all feels real. THE BOOK ALL FEELS REAL and that is truly scary to convince you of what the a world war against zombies would really look like. You arent questioning it, but just immersed which is quite an achievement, which this movie missed altogether.

This movie is a brad pitt film. The book was not about a hero it was about surviving. Brad Pitt does his normal character and he is the hero, the story is random stuff to send him jetsetting across the world so he can save it. Oh brad...the world does not revolve around you buddy. He should not be producing. He had the perfect script and ignored every bit of it to create an insulting film made merely to take your money.
  53. Jun 28, 2013
    The biggest problem I came across with this movie is the lack of action. Every single scene is shown in the trailer... and this leaves you with a lot of filler. Crucial plot points are given away in the trailer, too.

Also, there is an over-abundance of "boo" scenes... which belong in a cheap horror film. Walking down a hallway, real quiet.... then "BOO" AHHHHHH. However, the story

However, the story itself is pretty good. The ending is lac,king, but it moves along quite nicely.
  54. Jul 6, 2013
    Ok so this was mildly entertaining.
    The first act was by far the best section of the movie...very tense, fast paced action and great presentation.
    Ok so this was mildly entertaining.
    From this point on the movie went downhill on a grand scale. I mean, the Israel sequence was bordering on insanity...what the hell was going on there? It seemed as soon as Pitt showed up all hell broke loose wherever he went. Better for him to have just stayed at home.
    The 3rd act just drove home how poor this film was and perhaps how great it could have been.
    The lab sequence relegated this in to Hollywood tosh with the generic hero saves the day nonsense. Tired formula...
    If the film had followed the book more closely (Yonkers could have been epic) and not have been a vehicle for brad pitt to once again show us how he cant act, we would have ended up with a film that wasn't just a bunch of chase sequences mashed together with a ridiculous plot line.
  55. Sep 5, 2013
    I read the book, and yes the movie isn't exactly like it.

Now that we got past the obvious... While the movie is not exactly like the book and clearly been redone for a movie it does follow the same premise of a journalist type guy trying to piece together and find out what happened to cause zombies. The book is really good, so if you liked the movie go read it. The movie itself
    I read the book, and yes the movie isn't exactly like it.

Now that we got past the obvious...

The movie itself starts really bad and is all about annoying kids, then once Brad Pitt gets separated it gets good. If you like zombie type movies you'll like it.
  56. Jul 5, 2013
    Disappointing, frustrating, when you expect the movie to begin, it ends in a boring and predictable way. Doesn't worth the money of the ticket. Don't waste your time, and money, watching this bad written mess.
  57. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The level of shock and awe that this movie gives off is astounding. Proving to be a happy surprise I have seen this summer, World War Z is quite a chilling thriller. The feeling of hopelessness is on par with the 70's remake "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", as their is literally almost no place safe on the once life filled planet we all love. The movie is scary to bet, but the most surprising aspect of the story is how emotional it is. The characters almost always react at how they would in certain situations. The expressions and emotions are felt as the characters themselves understand the horrifying situation they are in. It's what the world would be like in the middle of an apocalyptic crisis such as this. My only problem with any failed reaction is the little boy the family picks up early in the film. This kid narrowly escapes the bloody massacre of his family and is even chased by his undead parents and yet you hardly see any fear or state of shock from this poor kid whose life had just been completely destroyed within a day. While I am at it I should point out the ridiculousness this film has offered a few number of times. The so called "spectacular" zombified wall climb isn't impressing to me at all. This is where CGI get's overdone in many movies. The way they make the zombie break in scene is absolutely ridiculous. Their is no way sound would make the zombies attract themselves to the walled structure so much, that they would be able to pile on top of each other and scale a 200 ft wall! There could have been many more logical problems that could have arisen for the zombies to overtake the city. Things like these are what makes the movie slip whenever the tension that drives the story forward, come off as overdone and cheaply slapped on. The clumsiness of the zombies massing over each other like marbles are sometimes dumb as well. Still I praise the originality this movie has to offer. Brad Pit does an excellent job acting as the father of a desperate family trying to survive the terror. Now I have heard many people critic over the amount of violence in this movie. Well if you want to see an over the top blood and gorefest (their's enough horror movies made every year), than you came to the wrong place. You don't need to see everything and frankly it's what you don't see that will scare you the most in this film. Wherever you go you can almost feel the infected are going to pop up anywhere at anytime. Granted the INTENSE and violent nature of this film will leave you on the edge of your seat. The zombies are absolutely ruthless, doing whatever it takes to kill you. Just at how they hurl themselves at the characters and the speed at which they do will make you jump. Without a doubt, the last scene in the movie the most pulse pounding. Truly one of the most tense driven times I ever experienced in the cinema. It's really at the end where it all comes down to for originality. I love how ending is played out and it's uncertainty is faced. Give this flick a look. Expand
  58. Jul 6, 2013
    I honestly think if the director would've separated the movie on 2 or 3 different parts it would've been so much better. On the other hand what you get is 2 hours of complete non sense and rush. If Mark Forster tried to show the illustration of horror and chaos in the begging then he did on 8/10, however the rest of the story was represented so poorly and with no logical conclusion. EndingI honestly think if the director would've separated the movie on 2 or 3 different parts it would've been so much better. On the other hand what you get is 2 hours of complete non sense and rush. If Mark Forster tried to show the illustration of horror and chaos in the begging then he did on 8/10, however the rest of the story was represented so poorly and with no logical conclusion. Ending also didn't give the answers.
    ..I would've given it 7 or 8 out of 10 if the main role would character would be played by somewhere else BUT Brad Pitt. No offence to Brad, but his overacting just pissed me off. I did like a bit of humor on back ground...but apart from that....the movie was meh...I wouldn't recommend to waste our money on this movie, but if you REALLY want to watch movie about zombies on a background
    then go ahead.
  59. Rem
    Jul 12, 2013
    Thrilling, exciting, and grand scale moments really sell the movie, however, some hamfisted storytelling and the fact that I didn't care about the main character's family shows how much they wanted an emotional experience. The scenario is more dire than ever and the zombies in this film are amazingly animated. It could have been more if it gave a more meaningful goal at the start. TheThrilling, exciting, and grand scale moments really sell the movie, however, some hamfisted storytelling and the fact that I didn't care about the main character's family shows how much they wanted an emotional experience. The scenario is more dire than ever and the zombies in this film are amazingly animated. It could have been more if it gave a more meaningful goal at the start. The ending though I have to say is an impressive one, and one of the more powerful scenes I have seen this year. Expand
  60. Jun 26, 2013
    Lte me start with my big problem no blood no cursing no gore and this movie needed it it felt like they censored and im watching it in Malaysia. And generic story as expected. i like the zombies movement and graphics do not watch it in 3D took away from experience they ahd almost nothing not a even one great 3D shoot.
  61. Jul 6, 2013
    This is going to be a short review. I make it no secret that I hate zombies. Not the zombies themselves, but how they are shown in different medias. Why? Because the all feel the same if you have seen one zombie movie you've seen them all. You know what? World War Z is no different. It's your standard zombie movie that we already have too much of. This movie is based off of the 2006 bookThis is going to be a short review. I make it no secret that I hate zombies. Not the zombies themselves, but how they are shown in different medias. Why? Because the all feel the same if you have seen one zombie movie you've seen them all. You know what? World War Z is no different. It's your standard zombie movie that we already have too much of. This movie is based off of the 2006 book of the same name. I haven't read the book because, well, I can't care. Not that it matters seeing as this movie has nothing to do with the book it is based on. But whatever. I would talk about the story, but again standard zombie flick. What I will say is plot holes a plenty. The biggest problem I have is how pointless all of the characters really are. They are nothing but a bunch of read shirts whose only purpose is to appear give out exposition and die. Even characters who seem important will die quickly and be forgotten even quicker. The only character who survive the zombies beside Pitt and his family is an Israeli soldier whose name you won't remember so you will just call her Israeli soldier. The only thing quicker than the red shirts' deaths is the poor pacing of the movie. the character will spend only seconds in a scene before it ends. There are important scenes where you think something will happen or be explained, but instead it is over within seconds. I find this really lazy as it takes up the films entire running time almost two hours, leaving an unsatisfied feeling from the watcher. Also there is a lot of things that just happen to happen, like when Pitt gets to Israel and the zombies get through the wall. Why? Because the peoples chanting, because as we know Israel is known for how quiet it is. The actors bring nothing to the table. Alonso Duralde of The Wrap put it best when he said, "For all its effectiveness at portraying the horror of possible human extinction, the film's actual humans are so soulless that this could just as well be the movie version of the video game Plants vs. Zombies." If you see the actions of the zombies you will find it just as funny. Finally the ending, I will say I am one of those who was surprised and impressed with how they defeated the zombies as it made total sense. However, Brad states, that despite this, that it isn't over yet. Which makes no sense as literally the next scene has some guys setting a mountain of zombies on fire. All Paramount is trying to do is give a reason to make a sequel. No. Really. They have confirmed that World War Z will be a trilogy. I look forward to nothing changing in the future. As for this movie, it has to be a 3/10. This was a lazy movie even by zombie standards and to think that a movie like this warrants a sequel just increases my annoyance with the capitalism in the movie. Disagree comment below. Expand
  62. Jul 4, 2013
    Are you looking for a thrilling zombie film with a masterfully crafted plot and interesting characters? Well, keep looking. The experience you get from this film is on par with that of the latest resident evil movies. The spoon-fed story is predictable and full of lame excuses for light-'em-up zombie action sequences, which are only mildly entertaining. A more suitable title for this filmAre you looking for a thrilling zombie film with a masterfully crafted plot and interesting characters? Well, keep looking. The experience you get from this film is on par with that of the latest resident evil movies. The spoon-fed story is predictable and full of lame excuses for light-'em-up zombie action sequences, which are only mildly entertaining. A more suitable title for this film could have been "Generic Zombie Movie Blockbuster #3462." Expand
  63. Jul 6, 2013
    Unbelievable. This summer the most-anticipated movies turn out to be mere shells of entertainment. After an infantile Iron Man 3, a superficial Superman, we are not treated to the dumbest movie of them all. At least I hope so. Because for some reason enough critics and customers seem to enjoy this picture. So the studios might be tempted to create more of this lowest-common-denominatorUnbelievable. This summer the most-anticipated movies turn out to be mere shells of entertainment. After an infantile Iron Man 3, a superficial Superman, we are not treated to the dumbest movie of them all. At least I hope so. Because for some reason enough critics and customers seem to enjoy this picture. So the studios might be tempted to create more of this lowest-common-denominator stuff.

Brad Pit does his thing, the fx are decent enough. but the story is an insult for any adult thanks to a plethora of plot holes and obvious inconsistencies. The purpose of the story seems limited to being a vehicle for all-American family values. There is not even enough content to appreciate the picture as a fun and relaxing joke.

Read the book or watch a decent movie like 'Oblivion', or even a superb one like 'Shaun of the Dead'.
  64. Jul 4, 2013
    This movie was not surprising, and neither too creative nor groundbreaking. You shouldn't be shocked by this movie, but you’re the zombie lover then you should leave content. Brad Pitt was not brilliant with the role he was given but his attempt was decent. World War Z strays away from the novel it once became and left as a just another movie.
  65. Jun 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z is a slow-paced typical zombie apocalypse story. Gerry Lane, his wife, and their two children are looking forward to a normal day of family fun when everything goes wrong. It all starts with simple chaos, then the occasional explosion. When they step out of the car to see what is happening, they discover something beyond this world. Zombies. The Lanes run to seek refuge, and receive a call from Gerry's old partner in the UN. Hours later, they wait atop a building for the helicopter that has been dispatched to come and rescue them, and barely make it out alive. While at the UN headquarters, Gerry learns that most countries have gone dark, and most of the world's population has been zombified. Can Gerry and his fellow UN workers find a cure to this "disease", or is it already too late? SPOILER WARNING. Well, it is too late. Once you have been bitten, unless you amputate the body part you become a zombie. But what Gerry does discover is that zombies do not attack those who are already sick. The movie comes to a close with an announcement on the radio saying that special injections are being delivered to every part of the country that will prevent being bitten. SPOILER WARNING END.

It was very slow paced and trite. Trite. It seemed inexplicably obvious at times. There'd be a long pause with no music or talking and be followed by, of course, a zombie attack. I liked how short the character development was at the beginning, it gave us time to really grow with the character and fear alongside them. I could really relate to the kids, Constance and Rachel, the most since they are the closest to my age. There were a couple of other parts that got a bit long with the buildup of suspense, but it was otherwise action-packed the whole time. I don't recommend you seeing World War Z; I felt as if it was a waste of my time, as good as it was. 53%.
  66. Jun 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's a popcorn movie and a pretty intelligent one at that given the global threats of HIV/AIDS; hantivirus; SARS; Ebola and just the effing flu FCOL. We live in the a country (if you live in the USofA) where they are allowed to atomize pig and dead pig parts into the air and water. Where they feed dead diseased animals to chickens and then kill the chickens and send them to SAFEWAY and KFC.

I was on the edge of my seat until after the lab. SUPER film!!!!
  67. Jul 1, 2013
    World War Z is just an average film that hits this summer as a blockbuster, that can easily be, but not more than that, its only a giant production with Brad Pitt as the big bet of the movie.

Heading more to the story, is a little boring and predictable, but enjoyable, Brad Pitt will always appear as the hero that can do anything with such a damn luck that is just predictable, although the production delivers some scenes that are truly interesting but this are the least in the movie, also we can have bad created characters that make you only care about Brad Pitt in scene.

As verdict I can say that this will be a movie that the most of us can barely remember.
  68. Jul 2, 2013
    To start off by saying that the movie was absolutely amazing. For once the zombies looked real it followed the story of the book well and had good characters. One complaint of mine about the movie was that they made it a bit difficult to follow because of skipping days and time. Another complaint is that they tried too hard to advertise company's like Pepsi and certain cars. Other thanTo start off by saying that the movie was absolutely amazing. For once the zombies looked real it followed the story of the book well and had good characters. One complaint of mine about the movie was that they made it a bit difficult to follow because of skipping days and time. Another complaint is that they tried too hard to advertise company's like Pepsi and certain cars. Other than that the movie was top notch. Expand
  69. Jul 2, 2013
    Eh.... Don't understand why they advertise David Morse, he is just a cameo. Brad Pitt is the only star in this movie and it shows. He even seems to be smirking at some of the inaccuracies from time to time. It was enjoyable but not good or quality.
  70. Jul 4, 2013
    his is not a horror film, not really a zombie film either. It's a plague film, and any gore porn fan will be disappointed to find that this is not a scary zombie film filled with guts and gore. What you will find is a very good story, a well paced and thrilling romp through the mind of a survivor. The story is solid, and has many harrow and life affirming moments for many of th
  71. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z does something that no other movie I've ever seen has managed to do it completely embodies the concept of an "alright" film. In terms of quality, there are no real ups or downs, no real thrills or low points it's just alright, and it's going to stay in my memory purely on the basis that it is phenomenally middle-of-the-road.

Brad Pitt saving the world is not something new to films, and it's not exactly something to get excited about either, but going into the film I had high expectations for a lot of zombie action. The film is hit hard by the PG-13 rating, as there's basically no gore whatsoever, but the hordes of zombies were pretty impressive at times. The main problems with the film lie in looking back at it and realising just what Brad Pitt's character has managed to go through and survive, with basically no goal in mind for most of the movie. He flies all over the world, survives a plane crash, then aimlessly wanders through Wales for a bit, with very little narrative direction.

The concept of the zombies was handled interestingly at least, with the idea of the zombie plague avoiding unhealthy hosts to strengthen itself being its one weakness. It's just a shame that there wasn't any proper zombie gore, or at least some frights and jumps at some points World War Z is, and will forever be, an absolutely alright film the epitome of 5/10s.
  72. Jul 6, 2013
    My very first review. This is not a horror movie no blood no gore, it has tons of cheesey lines
    This is very disappointing for a zombie genre. Myself i have never read the book but what i have heard it's not the same as the book. You also get to barely know the characters there just some family. The story is very unintresing. Some effects can be good at times but that's all to it.
  73. Jul 16, 2013
    This movie was probably one of the worst zombie/post-apocalyptic films I have ever seen, especially for a movie in this time period. It was cheesy, unoriginal, and on top of all it was a major waste of time and money.
  74. Sep 8, 2013
    Movies will almost always fall short of the books they are based on, this is no exception. I did not read the book since i am not a fan of the genre but i can clearly see why this falls short of its book counterpart. The story is unoriginal, story telling is like jumpcuts that fail to immerse the viewer into itself. I had the idea that film was made to milk the genre that bulls..t seriesMovies will almost always fall short of the books they are based on, this is no exception. I did not read the book since i am not a fan of the genre but i can clearly see why this falls short of its book counterpart. The story is unoriginal, story telling is like jumpcuts that fail to immerse the viewer into itself. I had the idea that film was made to milk the genre that bulls..t series called walking dead (first season was the only good part) and it is a great excuse for cgi and expensive action scenes.

tl&dr: This film is made for stupid people that like pew pew, eye candy and badly portrayed cliche relationships with an unoriginal storyline.
  75. Sep 6, 2013
    It really is a thriller because it keeps you on the edge of your seat when the action starts. Although it has recycled about 100 times plot. It starts like many other apocalypse movies with a family and you just wait until the movie turns into a babysitting for the protagonists kids and listening to their boring problems so that you can turn the movie off and go do something else. ThatIt really is a thriller because it keeps you on the edge of your seat when the action starts. Although it has recycled about 100 times plot. It starts like many other apocalypse movies with a family and you just wait until the movie turns into a babysitting for the protagonists kids and listening to their boring problems so that you can turn the movie off and go do something else. That isn't the case here. There are lot of change of scenery where the action takes place, the CGI is excellent and one more thing: humans finally get to win the zombie apocalypse which is a nice change. Expand
  76. Nov 6, 2013
    While I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombie apocalypse. The movie had a lot of plot holes; felt rushed; and was somewhat predictable. If you're a zombie gore fan than you'll be disappointed since theWhile I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombie apocalypse. The movie had a lot of plot holes; felt rushed; and was somewhat predictable. If you're a zombie gore fan than you'll be disappointed since the violence was toned down. (Though I appreciated the lack of bloody gore, since I'm honestly not a huge fan of it.) If you're also a fan of the book, please note: The movies nothing like the book. The only things the book and movie have in common are the title. Nothing else. It's like I Am Legend, just with more people and zombies. I did not like the script, and I think there should've been more depth to the story and characters. The movie was kinda anticlimactic. You should watch The Walking Dead instead.

If you liked this review, read my other work by clicking on my name and mark this as helpful. I review movies, TV shows, and videogames.
  77. Sep 5, 2013
    Started as mundane zombie movies, but the banality was removed at the end with a message. Generally, a movie is supposed to supply a good message and i believe this one did it pretty well "fight if you can, help each other, be prepared for anything". A good one to watch.
  78. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z, good title right? Well, after seeing it, I have to say that that was one of the best parts. I walked into World War Z hoping for big things. The movie Starred Brad Pitt, Mereille Enos, Matthew Fox, and many other big actors which made me pumped for the film.

When the film starts, Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) is watching TV at breakfast hearing about Taiwan treating an outbreak of rabies and we as an audience are not supposed to think too much about this but given the name, it was blatantly obvious that this had to do with the zombie outbreak. Gerry used to work for the United Nations as a troubleshooter who flies into conflicts but later quit. We see him driving his wife Karin (Mereille Enos) to work and his kids to school stuck in regular city traffic, when a cop on a motorcycle clips the cars side view mirror off. More cops are telling them to stay in their cars when the cop gets run over by a big truck that is plowing cars over and Brad follows the truck to get out of traffic.

The movie displays zombies, hurling themselves through windows and at cars trying to infect others. When a train is counting down with time to board, we learn that it only takes twelve seconds for a human to turn into a zombie. The family hijacks an RV and gets out of the area. They get to an apartment building and stay with a family until a helicopter from Gerry's previous job comes to pick them up.

They are taken to a shelter and are only allowed to stay if Brad can go to Jerusalem to observe the situation. Events then occur such as Gerry in a plane crash and waking up in a medical facility. Without revealing the ending, I can say that I was not surprised at all and actually got friends upset with me because I would predict correctly everything that would happen in the movie out loud, before it did.

Being thirteen, the movie had a basic concept and was not very surprising at all. Brad did not act at his full potential and I think that impacted the movies quality dramatically. Would I go expecting an enjoying movie? No. I would see this film only if you were dying to see a movie and this is what happened to be playing. I think that World War Z had a lot of potential, but lacked in the long run.
  79. Oct 27, 2013
    Why does this movie have a PG-13 rating is this Hollywood's answer to making more money?
    I really liked 28 weeks later best zombie movie ever, alright plot great suspense great gore.
    This is not that movie, this is boring actors, dumb story and eventual who cares. Why do we need PG-13 zombie movies? I would not take my thirteen year old to this movie unless it was having sleeping
    Why do we need PG-13 zombie movies? I would not take my thirteen year old to this movie unless it was having sleeping difficulties.
    If you like zombie movies this probably isn't for you.
  80. May 9, 2014
    One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I was literally yawning while watching a plain crash from inside the plane. Total snooze fest. The whole time I wasn't invested with bland characters and absurd plotlines. At least the disaster movie 2012 knew it was being absurd, but this movie seems to take it's absurd unpolished ideas seriously.

I owe this movie this, it inspired me to

I owe this movie this, it inspired me to read the book, and the book really is a superb reflections of the times we live in. It's such a shame they took the idea and skewered it so bad.
  81. Jul 26, 2013
    This feels like a good (not great) movie with some brilliant scenes (especially the opening ones and the exit from Jerusalem), a cohesive story line, and characters with actual emotional pull. It is not preachy, it is not a slave to special effects, and it does not drag. However, nothing in the movie is really spectacular enough to make this a must-see movie. I'd recommend watching it,This feels like a good (not great) movie with some brilliant scenes (especially the opening ones and the exit from Jerusalem), a cohesive story line, and characters with actual emotional pull. It is not preachy, it is not a slave to special effects, and it does not drag. However, nothing in the movie is really spectacular enough to make this a must-see movie. I'd recommend watching it, but I wouldn't cancel existing plans to do so. Expand
  82. Sep 27, 2013
    A surprisingly realistic take on the zombie movie genre. The plot is smart and the information it presents is plausible. Characters act like real people and make intelligent decisions quickly and when their back is against the wall. Also the acting is superb. Surprisingly this is a zombie movie that shy's away from blood and gore by hiding the bloodier moments just off screen. This movieA surprisingly realistic take on the zombie movie genre. The plot is smart and the information it presents is plausible. Characters act like real people and make intelligent decisions quickly and when their back is against the wall. Also the acting is superb. Surprisingly this is a zombie movie that shy's away from blood and gore by hiding the bloodier moments just off screen. This movie is tense, exciting, and most importantly smart. If the zombie apocalypse does happen it will be a lot like this movie. So if you're a zombie fanatic like myself this is a must watch. Expand
  83. Aug 8, 2013
    This film has the honor of being one of the worst movies that I remember ever seeing. It´s like a throwback to a 50´s horror B-movie. It often is more funny than horrific. It has no pretensions of philosophical nor ecological undertones. It is just zombies being nasty zombies biting people and getting hacked off. I am very surprised that Brad Piitt would accept to participate in suchThis film has the honor of being one of the worst movies that I remember ever seeing. It´s like a throwback to a 50´s horror B-movie. It often is more funny than horrific. It has no pretensions of philosophical nor ecological undertones. It is just zombies being nasty zombies biting people and getting hacked off. I am very surprised that Brad Piitt would accept to participate in such a production disaster. I am giving it 1 point for special effects in mass zombie attack scenes. But terrible makeup. Expand
  84. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not the book which is OK so I won't compare apples to oranges. Overall the movie was a decent zombie apocalypse movie that ended poorly. Worth watching once at the theater. The bad news the first act is good but the family should have not made it off the roof intact. Second act is where to many holes open in the story, why did the "best chance for humanity" only have a couple of half baked military guys in their unlimited range cargo plane? Gerry Lane should have fallen on his gun here, load up the troops from Camp Humphreys who seem to know what they were doing and move out. While visually stunning the Israel portion makes no sense with streams of still living refugees and ignores the political implications of the wall they are already building. The third act is tolerable but a let down, Gerry should have been long dead by now since the UN & WHO would have collapsed in the first minutes of this disaster. The last screen shot of the happy family reunion is pathetic. So if a sequel is to be made remember that this is first and foremost a zombie war movie and forget the gee whiz Lost ending. Take a lesson from Battle for Los Angeles or Aliens and let us see a good cathartic war/horror film with zombies vs. hard core military on an epic scale. Expand
  85. Jul 5, 2013
    I can only retread what most reviews have already said fans of the book will be disappointed, fans of zombie movies will be disappointed. That's not to say this movie is absolutely terrible, it just refuses to enjoy all the things that would make it an amazing zombie movie. They were too scared to even show the lopping off of a hand; any fans of the Walking Dead TV show are going toI can only retread what most reviews have already said fans of the book will be disappointed, fans of zombie movies will be disappointed. That's not to say this movie is absolutely terrible, it just refuses to enjoy all the things that would make it an amazing zombie movie. They were too scared to even show the lopping off of a hand; any fans of the Walking Dead TV show are going to find this movie incredibly pedestrian in comparison. There is no social commentary here. It never bothers to explore how dangerous other people can be when the world falls apart. In fact it hardly even establishes that the infected are, in fact, undead. It is mentioned in passing only, but you won't see anybody walking around with missing limbs or jaws. They don't look dead to me, they just look kind of unwell.

So basically when it comes to the zombie aspect it is completely JOYLESS. If you have watched the trailer you have seen most of the impressive scenes (which sadly, have very noticeable CG in them!). What we're left with here is a film that is surpassed by other zombie films and other plague films in most ways. You will probably leave the theatre hungry to watch one of your old favorites. It's not a movie about horror, or terror. Only suspense. I think that my expectations of a zombie movie are just very different from what they tried to do here.
  86. May 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I don't know where to start ... This movie is a trainwreck. I'll just summarize what bothered me about it:

Storyline: Absolute nonsense: Tries to be an action movie but fails to provide us with a proper action hero.
    Does not at all go deeper into the backstory yet asks us that we believe everything on the screen.

Acting: Atrocious: Cliche family, annoying Hollywood kids. Brad Pitt plays a rather conflicted character (not intentionally) and most of the supporting characters are killed off without you ever getting to know 'm just so Brad Pitt can be the UN-equivalent of a ninja.

SFX: Zombies are dull, there is almost no blood in this movie. That would be fine if the zombies and scenes were actually "scary" but they're not, they behave like angry football fans.

From surviving the plane crash to surviving an amputation to watching Israel being overrun by zombies because Arabs sing off-key, this movie just takes the cake. Should have been made a comedy.
  87. Mar 1, 2014
    I think the Z stands for Zzz. A banal, wishy-washy showcase of faceless people running away from faceless zombies. World War Zzzz quacks and farts around like a gutted 28 Days Later for the stupid, but what's really weird is that it shows little to no real gore, the result is an bloodless chase by rasping extras in bad make-up.
  88. Jan 24, 2014
    One of the best zombie films I've seen. Heard lots about the production problems but if you put that to one side you get a taught, believable and exciting drama. Some of the acting is superb, though personally I thought Brad Pitt was out of his comfort zone playing this character - they should have got someone else to do it. For me he was actually the weakest character in the film. TheOne of the best zombie films I've seen. Heard lots about the production problems but if you put that to one side you get a taught, believable and exciting drama. Some of the acting is superb, though personally I thought Brad Pitt was out of his comfort zone playing this character - they should have got someone else to do it. For me he was actually the weakest character in the film. The epic nature of the plot captures the end of humanity in a very convincing way, last film I saw when it felt this good was war of the worlds. Some of the set-pieces, such as the attack on Jerusalem, are exhilarating. Ending felt very tacked on (as it actually was) and the change of pace at the end let the film end on a slightly disappointing note. However if you want a great zombie film then give this a try. Expand
  89. Jul 21, 2013
    This movie has a lot of entertainment appeal--Brad Pitt is always impressively handsome, having grown out the crew cut that he wore for years when he was married to Jennifer Aniston. Now he's gone to the other extreme, where his blonde locks hang down to his shoulders, and he is even a model for Chanel No. 5. From the buzz cut that detracted from his looks to the long locks that make himThis movie has a lot of entertainment appeal--Brad Pitt is always impressively handsome, having grown out the crew cut that he wore for years when he was married to Jennifer Aniston. Now he's gone to the other extreme, where his blonde locks hang down to his shoulders, and he is even a model for Chanel No. 5. From the buzz cut that detracted from his looks to the long locks that make him look like a romantic Lancelot, Pitt has found a middle-aged role for himself as husband (practically) to Angelina Jolie and father of their six children.

This new persona shines through in World War Z, a movie that holds your interest in spite of the formulaic presentation. There is a contagion that is spreading quickly, and at first it appears to be a typical superbug, but this one is different. It is in fact a zombie contagion, and anyone who gets bitten is quickly infected and turns into a zombie within twelve seconds. This is a fairly typical fear-based disaster movie, but Pitt's character Gerry Lane is so strong, protective, and good-looking that fans will be mesmerized just because they love Brad Pitt.

The suspense is masterful, even though the gorier aspects of the genre have been thankfully toned down. The zombies are ugly and scary, but they never mutilate or devour, although they act as though they are about to. They are simply very bad-tempered, they destroy property, and they bite people. With the virus spreading like wildfire, there is a real chance that the entire human race is doomed to this fate. There is no sex in this film, for Gerry is deeply in love with his wife Karin, played by Mireille Enos, who looks like a red-headed Jolie, and who has to separate from Gerry early in the film. (They only share scenes at the beginning and very end of the film.) As in real life, Pitt's character is a devoted husband and father. No one can seduce him, not even when he becomes attached to a female soldier named Segen, who serves in the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) and who for some strange reason is sporting a shaven head. (Female IDF soldiers, unlike their male counterparts, are not required to cut their hair for military service, so this unusual attribute seems to announce up front that Segen is not a love interest.) The movie gets extra points for avoiding foul language. I counted only two instances of “Godd*mn,” and then only when Gerry was facing almost insurmountable obstacles, and one instance of the English equivalent of the French expletive, merde. The f-bomb is never dropped. For Hollywood, this alone is an almost impossible feat. Bravo.

Pitt's Gerry may be a family man, but he's no namby-pamby. A former U.N. Operative, he is about to save the world single-handedly, using his wits and his formidable powers of observation. Gerry is a hero, and a faithful one at that, for the affection he develops for Segen is such that he should have had an affair with her, even with her buzz cut, but he doesn't. To make that even clearer, at one point he has to chop off her bitten hand to save her from the virus. If they were going to have an affair, that pretty much finished it off.

There is a lot of talk about how the ending was changed. The original synopsis is on the Internet, and far from having a different ending, the original screenplay was pretty much thrown out. This version is a completely different film starting from the escape from Jerusalem. In this version, after escaping from Jerusalem, Gerry and Segen survive an unsurvivable plane crash, and then they conveniently find themselves walking distance from the W.H.O. lab that they need to visit to find a cure for the virus. The cure is based on a clever theory devised by Gerry after he has made shrewd observations about zombie behavior. The ending is somewhat reminiscent of the vampire film, Daybreakers, starring Ethan Hawke, a film where the quest to save humanity from being completely converted to vampirism was less formulaic and more inventive than what we have here in World War Z.
  90. Jul 12, 2013
    Despite its mixed reviews, I went to see World War Z with no expectations, and was very pleasantly surprised. Interesting and clever, I can't think of any dull moment throughout.

I would guess that a lot of the disappointment comes from the relative lack of gore. The are plenty of scares, but they are the occasional jump scare and well-executed suspense, not grisly disembowelment and macabre set pieces.

There are a lot of comments that World War Z doesn't fare well as a zombie film, and I'd agree but with the caveat that it really isn't one. This is a thoughtful outbreak film, more along the lines of Contagion than visceral Romero massacre porn. Not to say that it's purely cerebral no excuse for apocalyptic carnage is passed up, with excellently executed special effects and a shocking explosion at least every twenty minutes, guaranteed.

It's not perfect I have to concede that the ending feels abrupt (although it came exactly when I was ready for it). Nevertheless I'd thoroughly recommend World War Z as a very entertaining and slightly brainier than average action contagion movie. NOT as a zombie flick.
  91. Sep 18, 2013
    I should preface this review by stating that I have not read the novel that this movie is based loosely off of. Therefore, my entire review is ignorant to any source material and is judging the movie as a stand alone film. As far as that goes, I thought this was one of the best zombie films ever made. Yes, it is plagued by the same exaggerations all zombie films suffer from. However, WorldI should preface this review by stating that I have not read the novel that this movie is based loosely off of. Therefore, my entire review is ignorant to any source material and is judging the movie as a stand alone film. As far as that goes, I thought this was one of the best zombie films ever made. Yes, it is plagued by the same exaggerations all zombie films suffer from. However, World War Z is actually a genuinely good movie, zombie nonsense aside. The acting, led by Brad Pitt, is fantastic and the plot develops well. The intensity in the movie starts up right away so there's no lag time to deal with while they develop the setting. The setting is already familiar... it's America today. The discovery of the zombie outbreak is part of the joy in watching the film and the initial sequence where you're first introduced to the situation is one of the most intense segments in recent memory. The action itself feels very realistic, aside from the aforementioned exaggerations that is. Pitt isn't made out to be some superhero or anything so he feel real too. The only real flaws for me were the exaggerations and that the ending felt like it was rushed. The entire two hours builds to this culmination that just ends right away and doesn't give you much closure. I suppose they were going for that with how they set the scene in the closing moments but from a viewer's perspective, I would've liked it a bit differently. Overall though, this is a great movie that most people will almost certainly enjoy. Expand
  92. Mar 20, 2014
    I put off watching this film for a long time because I hate and avoid Zombie movies. Having said that, this was a pretty good action film. Surprise, surprise. The Zombies weren't overly gory and the race to find a cure kept me interested throughout the film.
  93. Aug 24, 2014
    I had the misfortune of reading a couple lines from a review before entering the cinema, which spoiled a few scenes for me (scenes which may have been otherwise surprising, but could not be seen coming a mile away). Also, I entered thinking that this movie wouldn't be that good, which seems like a good strategy: I enjoyed War World Z.

In the aftermath, the story seems like a highly

In the aftermath, the story seems like a highly condensed view into a world overrun by a virus that resembles zombies, but doesn't quite get there. Also, it seems like we get a very narrow view with glimpses of something greater and vaster on the outside, and the overall story-building might have benefited from expanding the experience. Now, the emotional baggage seemed elusive and the audience has a harder time actually feeling the emotional layers that are supposed to be there.

The action, actor performances and CGI were nothing out of the ordinary. All in all, the movie was nothing out of the ordinary. The low rating kept the action rather tame, with a lot of off-screen violence, and save for a few jumpy moments, there was nothing scary about the movie, although there were nice seconds of suspense here and there.
  94. Sep 20, 2013
    Like gold dust, a hefty-invested blockbuster with a problematic partial re-filming (including a complete overhaul of the ending owing to its financial curb) and a procrastinated release date could actually trounce its foreboding karma and pans out to be a competent money-maker in the bloodthirsty summer season, not to mention has earned itself a sensational caption as the highestLike gold dust, a hefty-invested blockbuster with a problematic partial re-filming (including a complete overhaul of the ending owing to its financial curb) and a procrastinated release date could actually trounce its foreboding karma and pans out to be a competent money-maker in the bloodthirsty summer season, not to mention has earned itself a sensational caption as the highest grossing film ever for the mega-star Brad Pitt”.

Directed by Marc Forster (QUANTUM OF SOLACE 2008, 7/10; STRANGER THAN FICTION 2006, 7/10; STAY 2005, 8/10; FINDING NEVERLAND 2004, 7/10; MONSTER’S BALL 2001, 7/10), who is to some extent oscillating between a major company’s hack and an accomplished auteur in the indiewood. WORLD WAR Z craftily grafts mind-blowing visual feasts onto an apocalyptic milieu with rapid-running zombies infected by unknown virus, and keep contaminating the residual humankind. The backstory sounds familiar but film constructs an alternative coda, not the hackneyed one-man-saves-the-world heroism, instead, it offers a more plausible expedient to both avoid the callow overkill and underscore the future with a bleaker hope for the story to continue.

The film never stray from a standard zombiefest routine, but the execution is commendable, an indeed white-knuckle experience from A to Z, the process of this prerogative family’s running away from a zombie-invading Philadelphia has been handled even-handedly, although Pitt’s wife and daughters would only be the burden for his further mission.

Bounding from South Korea to Jerusalem, then a considerably smaller-scaled finale inside a secular lab in Scotland, the film brings us a gripping journey but there is no superhero to save mankind.

In the South Korea chapter, an unexpected self-shooting accident happens out of the left field, in view of the executor’s seemingly essential role as the last straw to stop this mess. This is a wonderful surprise I don’t mind watching more on screens nowadays. Moreover, the treatment of silence is another feat creatively applied here, pretty contrasts to the common hubbub in the action pack, but as a corollary, there will be an inconvenient silence-breaker thanks to the unwitting wife’s timely call, otherwise, the act is too smooth and casualties can never be spared in this case (farewell, James Badge Dale).

However, the pinnacle no doubt should attribute to the raiding of City of David, excellent airborne shots render viewers a stately sacredness to witness the havoc, a sarcastic indication of a rabble of Muslims hymning cheerfully would insanely precipitate zombies to rally outside the bulwarks and eventually break into the city thanks to their umpteen quantities, which is a tad offensive but from the prospect of a non-believer, the irony is a bonanza since we are in desperation for some gallows humor under the circumstances.

Most dissenters would argue the reshoot of the final act (an original plan includes a massive combat sets in Moscow) is a letdown simply because it is not epic enough to culminate the prescribed “the bigger the better” adrenaline drive, nevertheless, this thriftier approach options a no-gut-no-glory scheme which turns out to be a fairly conducted indoor thriller, and one can even laugh about the ostentatious plugging of the beverage company during the revelational discovery. The cast is inherently viable, Pitt underplays his charisma to be more approachable, it is rather comforting to see Enos clench a major film role and she could have been a better fighter than her screen hubby.

In a nutshell, WORLD WAR Z is an entertaining popcorn fare, and doesn’t try to patronize and outsmart its audience and showboats its CGI stunts to offer a bombarding sense of instantaneous grandiosity, which ultimately will fall bland in aftertaste. This alone can make most tentpoles pale in comparison!
  95. Jul 15, 2013
    Es una lastima como gran fan de los zombies le tenia esperanza a esta pelicula, pero la verdad les recomiendo no ir a verla, algo le falto y esta aburrida..pretty boring..
  96. Aug 2, 2013
    Pitt and Enos are very satisfying leads, The acting overall is rather solid and I have no complaints. While the film may look impressive, It's really just...nothing. The plot is ok but I'd have liked to see more depth to it, A little more story you know instead of just the straight forward story that it is. The biggest problem with World War Z is that it tries so hard not to be anotherPitt and Enos are very satisfying leads, The acting overall is rather solid and I have no complaints. While the film may look impressive, It's really just...nothing. The plot is ok but I'd have liked to see more depth to it, A little more story you know instead of just the straight forward story that it is. The biggest problem with World War Z is that it tries so hard not to be another zombie movie but it ends up being just that. There is nothing that really separates it from any other zombie film I have seen and that was the real killer in my opinion. Expand
  97. Aug 4, 2013
    World war z was a pleasant surprise i loved it. the only thing i would take away points for is it was not a rated R film. For me it was one of the best releases of the year so far to this date. Great story and action.
  98. Sep 1, 2014
    After much delay, its an impressive surprise--and as a Walking Dead fan, a surprise which left me in awe and more in love with WWZ. Brad Pitt is as good as ever and we love his take on Zombie-culture.
  99. Aug 11, 2014
    Just a real big movie. I don't know the numbers. But this probably cost them too much. The story is not classic. It's great. The scenes are really amazing. I've never seen something similar. How did they do this? It seems real, not like the usual cut scenes and other tricks. I liked this movie, and I really wanted it to be much longer
  100. Oct 19, 2013
    Another zombie movie is more than I can handle, but World War Z manages to bring a darker tone and intensity than the usual funny gore fest. However, there is too much boring dialogue and the characters are humorless and uninteresting.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 29, 2013
    World War Z is the most gratifying action spectacle in years, and one reason for its success if the Pitt doesn't play a superhero. [1 July 2013, p.76]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Jun 21, 2013
    Director Marc Forster is very good at amping up the terror, but after a while, we reach zombie overload and we might as well be watching an infestation of Transformers.
  3. Reviewed by: Dana Stevens
    Jun 21, 2013
    Given how efficiently World War Z has delivered jolts and screams over the course of its sleek 116-minute running time, it’s easy to forgive this rushed and slightly muted finale.