Paramount Pictures | Release Date: June 21, 2013
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 1141 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ZerpnosMar 5, 2017
Başrolünde Brad Pitt'in oynadığı film beklentileri karşılamıyor. Klişe bir senaryoyla dünyanın zombi istilasının altında olduğunu işleyen film, senaryo bakımından sınıfı geçemiyor. Birazcık gerilim, azıcıkta aksiyonla birlikte ortalama birBaşrolünde Brad Pitt'in oynadığı film beklentileri karşılamıyor. Klişe bir senaryoyla dünyanın zombi istilasının altında olduğunu işleyen film, senaryo bakımından sınıfı geçemiyor. Birazcık gerilim, azıcıkta aksiyonla birlikte ortalama bir film oluyor. Expand
MasterRileyDec 11, 2016
World War Z is an entertaining apocalyptic movie with really awesome special effects and fun action sequences. I also enjoyed Brad Pitt's performance and the overall story.
reviewfrom19842Oct 30, 2016
Did not really like this movie that much. The person who Brad Pitt plays is boring and dull the only reason we are caring about is he has kids and is the main character Fuc k ing hate that s hit. Everything else is just meh.
Castiel_AngelOct 9, 2016
The only zombie thing better than this in my opinion is the walking dead. I could not possibly word how amazing this movie is. Brad Pitt played his role perfectly as did every other actor.
drlowdonSep 1, 2016
The movie adaptation of Max Brooks (superior) novel forgoes much of the political and social commentary that made the book such an interesting read and replaces it with high paced chases and explosions. If you can ignore the ropey CGI, andThe movie adaptation of Max Brooks (superior) novel forgoes much of the political and social commentary that made the book such an interesting read and replaces it with high paced chases and explosions. If you can ignore the ropey CGI, and the fact that Brad Pitt’s character surviving his MANY brushes with death is almost laughably unrealistic, World War Z does make for a relatively entertaining watch for the most part but quite why you’d bother using the World War Z name just to make an action film is beyond me. Expand
KaprawiecAug 8, 2016
Another great zombie apocalypse movie. For the fans of this setting, this is 10/10. For the rest of us, the movie is also worth watching. Great role by Brad Pitt, the tension rises with every minute, by the end of it i was on the edge of myAnother great zombie apocalypse movie. For the fans of this setting, this is 10/10. For the rest of us, the movie is also worth watching. Great role by Brad Pitt, the tension rises with every minute, by the end of it i was on the edge of my seat. The idea isnt fresh, but it is definitely one of the best movie in this genre. Expand
AaronWasserman1Mar 26, 2016
A big surprise by this movie. Brad Pitt nails this role and the premise, while always used, takes an interesting spin by the end. I have no idea how much this is like the book, but I enjoyed it.
EpicLadySpongeFeb 4, 2016
World War Z is a success. Enjoying this depends on your opinion... if you're highly opinionated, don't watch this unless you know you're going to love it the same way as I did.
CineAutoctonoDec 5, 2015
Rather than worship zombie movies , " World War Z " is a chillingly interesting movie , from the beginning of the zombie apocalypse until the end , done for us, although it is not over until said there sequel, no more by thank Brad Pitt movie.
SpangleSep 28, 2015
An action-packed thrill ride, World War Z does a great job blending those two genres with some elements of horror and really manages to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout. Brad Pitt is great in the lead role and entirely convincingAn action-packed thrill ride, World War Z does a great job blending those two genres with some elements of horror and really manages to keep you on the edge of your seat throughout. Brad Pitt is great in the lead role and entirely convincing as humanity's last hope. The film also does a great job eliciting emotion from the audience, as there are a few scenes that really keep you on the edge of your seat and that take you by surprise. This is in large part thanks to the some great direction from Marc Forster and some very good cinematography. The special effects with the zombies are also incredible, as is the makeup. The film definitely feels as though it is setting up for a sequel and I would definitely love to see one be made, especially considering how this one does not quite feel finished due to that. Overall, World War Z is an expertly made action-thriller that manages to entertain throughout. Expand
GregePorterAug 31, 2015
Bottom line: Standard big budget zombie movie; it has its thrilling moments but it isn’t particularly innovative and, yet, I've seen it twice.

Brad Pitt plays Gerry, a top former UN war crimes investigator. He left the service to spend more time with his wife and two daughters. A strange infection, initially thought to be rabies, envelopes the world in zombie chaos so, in exchange for the safekeeping of his family, Gerry goes back into service searching for the source (and a cure) for the plague.

This is a very global movie. We have the American Gerry, working with the UN as he drives from Philadelphia to Newark to a military base in Korea to Israel to Whales ultimately finding himself in Nova Scotia. If you notice in the trailer, Brad Pitt asks a man, “How do I get into Moscow?” The man answers, “Moscow is a black hole.” In the movie, they say India instead of Moscow. From what I hear, it was one of several production decisions made for marketing purposes.

One of the more interesting aspects of the film is the positioning of Israel. A week before the outbreak, the soldiers from the Korean UN military base send out an email with the word “zombie.” Everyone but the Israeli president ignores the email who orders the construction of a massive wall around Jerusalem. A week later, the zombie scourge planet is enveloped in the zombie plague. “What made you believe the memo,” asks Gerry. He explains that during WWII, they could not believe that Jews were being sent to concentration camps and they could not believe they would be attacked during the 1974 Olympics and they could not believe that they would be attacked despite Arab troop movements. He explains that there had to be a change otherwise, they could quite possibly be destroyed. What is the downfall of Jerusalem? They let anyone into the city. While charitable, once a Palestinian group starts singing songs of praise using a megaphone, the noise draw zombies who overrun the wall.

Gerry meets an Israeli soldier named Segen (Kertesz). In a dash to escape, a zombie scratches her hand and, to prevent the spread of the disease, Gerry cuts it off. To what extent can we examine this sequence with respect to the larger role Israel plays in the movie and to what extent can we look at this as a statement about US/UN/Israel relations? Allegedly, North Korea pulled the teeth out of every one of its citizens to prevent people from spreading the disease through bites. We hear this story from a former CIA agent (who was caught selling guns to North Korea) whose teeth have been removed. The role each of the nations seem to play within the movie is interesting. It's one of the reasons I've seen this twice (and why I wouldn't mind seeing it again).

I don’t really have too too much else to say about this movie. Brad Pitt does a great job. It doesn’t feel like a long movie. It is more thrilling than scary. It would be fun to see on a Friday night or Saturday night in the comfort of one’s home.
grandpajoe6191Aug 27, 2015
Led by veteran actor Brad Pitt, "World War Z" is a surprising treat to the viewers as it makes the overly exaggerated plot feel like nothing with its grand-scale visuals.
AaronDWassermanJun 26, 2015
Better than most typical zombie flicks. Brad Pitt is pretty solid in this role. The main criticisms i have for the film are it is a little long and not the best written.
LuizFelipeJun 12, 2015
This is Perfect, i love all... this film shows people that they should not expect the disease to reach the world and then treat them , the world has to see things that harm arising from other things that come acontencendo wrong and solveThis is Perfect, i love all... this film shows people that they should not expect the disease to reach the world and then treat them , the world has to see things that harm arising from other things that come acontencendo wrong and solve these problems in the bud... Expand
MadMaxFuryRoadMay 23, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This isn't really a scary film but rather an emotional one. You care for the characters and you actually want them to survive. Brad Pitt is awesome in this film and the little boy in the beginning is also really good. The zombies aren't that frightening, however the last scene in the medical center is pretty thrilling. There are many moment where Gerry was luckily saved. Definitely one of his best movies. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
orld War Z contains some impressive set pieces - sequences that, taken on their own, are either tense or visually arresting. As a whole, however, it's a letdown with a strange mixture of epic apocalyptic material and generic zombie stuff. Theorld War Z contains some impressive set pieces - sequences that, taken on their own, are either tense or visually arresting. As a whole, however, it's a letdown with a strange mixture of epic apocalyptic material and generic zombie stuff. The episodic storyline is scattershot, moving from location to location (sometimes without seeming rhyme or reason) just to keep the action mobile and the setting from becoming static. The special effects are certainly impressive but some of World War Z's biggest scenes (all of which are in the TV commercials and trailers) don't have the best payoffs. The screenplay feels like the culmination of all sorts of things being thrown against a wall to see what sticks. As it turns out, there's not enough.

At its best, World War Z is capable of generating suspenseful stretches. Two sequences in particular - the military guys preparing to re-fuel the plane in South Korea and the mission into the zombie-infested wing of the WHO building - recall scenes from Aliens. The airplane segment is also high on the excitement scale. Unfortunately, these are exceptions. Much of World War Z comes across as generic zombie/apocalypse material that replicates beats from previous films. Maybe it's not possible to make a unique or surprising zombie movie considering how overexposed the category has become but I was expecting something a little more intelligent than a re-hash of other productions.

World War Z violates two of my rules. The first is never to neuter R-rated material so the final release gets a PG-13, and that's exactly what happens here. Based on content, this should have been an "R," but the needs of the studio outweigh the needs of the adult viewer, so odd shot angles have been incorporated (including an overabundance of shaky hand-held shots that obscure not only gore but pretty much everything else) and most of the hacking, slashing, and biting occurs just off-screen. Then there's the 3-D precept: use this tool only when it positively impacts the viewing experience - something routinely ignored by would-be blockbusters, and this is no exception. The 3-D serves no purpose here and should have been jettisoned. World War Z isn't 3-D neutral; it's 3-D negative.

As Gerry, Brad Pitt does a solid job providing an "everyman" hero who, despite his military background, isn't some kind of superman disguised as a mere mortal. Gerry knows how to use a gun but isn't a sharpshooter. He can hold his own in a fight but won't be sending Zod crashing through three-dozen skyscrapers. His powers of deduction are a little Sherlockian - he figures out important things with minimal information, but I'll forgive World War Z for that. It's easy to root for Gerry although it would have been easier if the secondary story with his family received more than perfunctory development. Along the way, he acquires a sidekick (Daniella Kertesz) but she's as forgettable as everyone else not played by Brad Pitt.

World War Z still leaves me looking for the first Great Blockbuster of 2013. It's passable big budget entertainment and works as a diversion but the movie frequently substitutes impressive CGI shots of zombie swarms for storytelling. The rushed ending also leaves a bad taste. And fans of Brooks' source material are going to wonder what happened. Zombie lovers will probably enjoy this but it doesn't offer much meat to anyone else. Add director Marc Forster to the list of directors who have missed the mark in developing something riveting to shake up this year's roster.
teddylukeApr 6, 2015
a okay zombie is you have nothing to do. I do not like every much but hey I can see some people like this movie. it not really bad to say but there where a few thing is was like that was stupid.
keve16Mar 26, 2015
8.2/10................................................................................................................................................
Another_NerdMar 12, 2015
I'm not a big fan of the zombie genre, but this was a great zombie film, and makes good entertainment. There were moments, which made it not-your-average-cliched-horrororzombie-film. It had to show a plague, and it showed it well.

The one

The one disappointment I have is that it was never directly adapted from the book, which is, well, nothing short of amazing. Obtaining the rights to the book never came to much use anyway, I guess. So much for that.
oDjentoMar 5, 2015
I was interested in seeing what this film could be, but it didn’t deliver. It’s an action movie with pretty lame action sequences for most of the time. Brad Pitt is alright in his role but pretty basic, and also his family seem prettyI was interested in seeing what this film could be, but it didn’t deliver. It’s an action movie with pretty lame action sequences for most of the time. Brad Pitt is alright in his role but pretty basic, and also his family seem pretty obsolete and irrelevant after he leaves them to fight the zombies. They’re just there for him to come back to something. The story is pretty unbelievable that somehow he’s the only one that figures it out by noticing it in the middle of a zombie attack. Some sequences are downright stupid as well and utterly unbelievable. The film does have its moments though, or me being the moment he has to navigate the science facility full of zombies and his roof top scene where he is worried about the zombie blood going onto his face. In conclusion, the film is a relatively entertaining zombie film but it really doesn’t fully excel in trying to do what it wants to. A perfect example of a straight average film. Expand
UltimateBubFeb 15, 2015
"World War Z" is a very entertaining, thrilling and exciting film. However, it's so full of cliches, you can't help but notice the little mistakes. Brad Pitt does a terrific job here, but I doubt the rest of the cast does. Probably because"World War Z" is a very entertaining, thrilling and exciting film. However, it's so full of cliches, you can't help but notice the little mistakes. Brad Pitt does a terrific job here, but I doubt the rest of the cast does. Probably because they don't have enough screen time, and that may be a problem. The movie is very story-driven, maybe too much, which leads to poor characterization. Even then, it's very, very imaginative and original, and that's kind of enough for an apocalyptic zombie film. Expand
PlasmaGravyFeb 5, 2015
Watched this not too long ago (maybe 3 months ago) thinking THIS IS GOING TO BE ATROCIOUS LOL. Well, I was sort've right, but it wasen't ALL bad..

The acting in the movie is not the bad thing in this movie, it's just the lazy boring plot. The movie starts off with HARDLY any breathing time, all you know is that there is a loving family, and their going out for a drive. The zombies come, and from here on there it just keeps going.... =.=

You basically follow Brad Pitt the whole movie as he travels around the world, searching for a cure, and reuniting with his personality drained family. I can't just go on and on how the story goes, I'll just mention some scenes.

A guy slips and on accident, shoots himself in the face

A bunch of zombies pile up on each other and make it past giant wall protecting a city

Brad Pitt survives a plain crash, and although wounded, walks it off and survives

These scenes are just silly, and don't make sense, and the zombies piling up on each other is borderline cartoony. I don't know why I hate the guy shooting himself on accident so much, it just seemed lazy, and I laughed my ass off when i saw it. Surviving a plane crash? No comment.

It ends off with Brad Pitt finding a cure, and reuniting with his family. Humanity finds a way to fight back against the zombie plague, as they start bombing zombies with jets. This ending didn't really bother me, it left off with a happy note. Overall, this is just a boring movie, although some scenes will give you a good laugh
arcangelJan 30, 2015
Ah another brad Pitt movie, this movie is amazing I have never seen someone try so hard as to try and tick off as many zombie movie cliches and plot points s this, I can hear Brad on the side making check marks with his pencil checking offAh another brad Pitt movie, this movie is amazing I have never seen someone try so hard as to try and tick off as many zombie movie cliches and plot points s this, I can hear Brad on the side making check marks with his pencil checking off boxes saying "ok got that done and that" do not see this movie it will annoy you as it attempts lame jump scares and drops plot points entirely after almost five minutes. And the book was about the after math and how the humans were rebuiliding but instead we got a stereotypical Hollywood piece of **** movie that tries too damn hard to be like other zombie flicks, completely uninspired and void of originality. Expand
heeldavidDec 28, 2014
Brad Pitt puts on a very good performance, but I feel like the movie could have went on for an extra 10 minutes. but i guess they want to make a sequel
raporgiDec 28, 2014
blatant cash in using a known zombie novel and brad f*cking pitt! theater was full of phaggots and women wearing mini skirts! the movie is basically BP going to different places watching people getting carved up because of stupidity. Noblatant cash in using a known zombie novel and brad f*cking pitt! theater was full of phaggots and women wearing mini skirts! the movie is basically BP going to different places watching people getting carved up because of stupidity. No smarts or intelligence to this movie as it relies on BP's star power and charisma over mindless hordes of women and phaggots who will watch this movie. Expand
ydnar4Dec 22, 2014
World War seems like it is nothing more than a get rich quick scheme. I found most of the film fairly uninteresting. The ending was one of the few moments in the movie that kept my attention. Although zombie movies are about the most recycledWorld War seems like it is nothing more than a get rich quick scheme. I found most of the film fairly uninteresting. The ending was one of the few moments in the movie that kept my attention. Although zombie movies are about the most recycled films on the planet some people just can't get tired of seeing them. World War Z doesn't really establish anything creative, its just the same old zombies that we've had in movies for the past 40 years, all the same characteristics and weaknesses. George A. Romero established all this before with all his films. Save yourself some time and watch Dawn of the Dead or Night of the Living Dead instead of World War Z. Brad Pitt is a highlight however, its hard not to root for him and he was well cast as Gerry Lane. Expand
JohnKristoferDec 22, 2014
Zombies Are everywhere from video games to Movies to Costumes,But Now Get ready for another Zombie Movie But This Time it's got Brad Pitt **** World War Z is just another Zombie bringing zombie movie cliches and you might expect this isZombies Are everywhere from video games to Movies to Costumes,But Now Get ready for another Zombie Movie But This Time it's got Brad Pitt **** World War Z is just another Zombie bringing zombie movie cliches and you might expect this is horror movie nope its just a movie that Brad Pitt Goes to different kinds of Places and runs away from zombies or killing them! and remember its a PG-13 Movie!! Expand
Ray-MDec 5, 2014
This is the only Zombie movie/show that makes you believe a zombie apocalypse could actually spread. Most zombies move slow and it takes hours or days for the bitten to turn but these zombies are fast and it takes 10 seconds to turn thisThis is the only Zombie movie/show that makes you believe a zombie apocalypse could actually spread. Most zombies move slow and it takes hours or days for the bitten to turn but these zombies are fast and it takes 10 seconds to turn this makes you think the scenario is possible, slow zombies could never spread and would easily be contained. Forget the book, it was good and the movie is good but the only thing in common is the tittle. Expand
GuillermoBMNov 23, 2014
Summary: World War Z is thrilling, scary and fast-paced. 82/100 [B+]

Summary: World War Z is thrilling, scary and fast-paced. 82/100 [B+]

Who hadn't fun watching this? Seriously, the first minutes of the film are so damn good, everything happens so fast. I saw it at 2am and believe me, it was an experience. World War Z is an exciting movie filled with intense sequences of violence, horror and fun. I'm not a huge fan of the zombie sub-genre and I haven't read the book. However this one was very surprising to me, I felt engaged with the main character and I cared about his family.

Yeah it has a few flaws but it delivers lots of astonishing moments, memorable action sequences and great performances. Brad Pitt performs Gerry Lane's character and he does a pretty good job during the whole film. His character is believable and well... he's actually the smartest character in the movie. In addition, shout out here to Daniella Kertesz, she performed "Segen" a very important character in the film. She and Brad Pitt are awesome here.

WWZ relies on human perspective and how we would react if something like this happens. Moving on, its final act is scary and makes you feel claustrophobic. Even though the ending does not explain some important issues about the plot, the whole film was pretty solid and never dull. I recommend you to see it on a huge screen with a loud sound system. So, overall, it is a good flick. World War Z is a tense thriller, decently directed and terrifying at times. [B+]
DCEdmondsNov 13, 2014
"World War Z" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Decent) ...

"World War Z" 10 Scale Rating: 6.5 (Decent) ...

The Good: When the infected start attacking as a mass of humanity, it is very well done and creepy. While it diverges from the book quite a bit, I like the direction. A well written idea and a solid performance from Brad Pitt.

The Bad: When the infected aren't attacking en mass, they aren't scary or creepy at all. In fact, they are silly and humorous, causing most of the crowd to burst out in laughter when they appeared on the screen ... which isn't what they were shooting for. While I enjoyed the final scenes in the end, I disliked some of the events that led up to it. I can suspend belief to an extent, but I can only watch the lead actor survive so many impossible situations and have so many things go his way.
vikesh2206Nov 9, 2014
World War Z aces as a thrilling action flick with good acting and great action sequences, however, it isn't scary for a horror-action fil and emotion lacks its necessary limelight.
SiAScORCHNov 6, 2014
I won't lie, I was hesitant to see Brad Pitt in a zombie movie, but I will be the first to admit he played his part good. This movie was really good and had a ton of action and at times it left you on the edge of your seat. It also has someI won't lie, I was hesitant to see Brad Pitt in a zombie movie, but I will be the first to admit he played his part good. This movie was really good and had a ton of action and at times it left you on the edge of your seat. It also has some very sad parts which I won't spoil for you, but it is a bit heart wrenching. You have to see this movie if you like zombie movies, if not then it probably wouldn't appeal to every person, more so just the zombie lovers. Expand
lordmoo_23Sep 26, 2014
This is a great thriller, filled with impressive visual effects and intense suspense. The set design of this film felt grandeur and spectacular, which I felt was great but it inhibited some much needed emotional human moments. Something thisThis is a great thriller, filled with impressive visual effects and intense suspense. The set design of this film felt grandeur and spectacular, which I felt was great but it inhibited some much needed emotional human moments. Something this film had plenty of were jump scares, which can only be seen as effective in a zombie movie. I did like the realistic tone that was present throughout, making me believe that a zombie outbreak could really happen. Unlike I Am Legend, I thought the way World War Z solved this global catastrophe was believable and eye-opening. Of course the star of World War Z is Brad Pitt, and he does a great job in my opinion portraying the character. My real problem is with the actual character itself. It seems as if this guy is invincible and can overcome any obstacle that comes in his way. I didn't read the book so I'm not sure if that's how the character is written, but it did draw me out of the movie at times. The ending felt very rushed which did affect my grade of the movie; however this is a solid film with more style than substance. Expand
beingryanjudeSep 1, 2014
After much delay, its an impressive surprise--and as a Walking Dead fan, a surprise which left me in awe and more in love with WWZ. Brad Pitt is as good as ever and we love his take on Zombie-culture.
MaricaAug 31, 2014
"Most people don't believe something can happen until it already has. That's not stupidity or weakness, that's just human nature." - Jurgen Warmbrunn

Ok, so this is my opinion.Zombies in movies...only in this movie and "The Walking Dead" is masterpiece..
diogomendesAug 30, 2014
Went to see this movie with my mom, and we both loved it. I mean, the film diverges from the book but who cares? I don't read too much but what matters is if the movie is good, right? And it was! It really was!! It's throughouly entertainingWent to see this movie with my mom, and we both loved it. I mean, the film diverges from the book but who cares? I don't read too much but what matters is if the movie is good, right? And it was! It really was!! It's throughouly entertaining from beggining to end. Brad Pitt is pretty f*cking cool, the action sequences are awesome (despite some shaky cameras) and the pacing in this movie is pretty good as well. Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
I had the misfortune of reading a couple lines from a review before entering the cinema, which spoiled a few scenes for me (scenes which may have been otherwise surprising, but could not be seen coming a mile away). Also, I entered thinkingI had the misfortune of reading a couple lines from a review before entering the cinema, which spoiled a few scenes for me (scenes which may have been otherwise surprising, but could not be seen coming a mile away). Also, I entered thinking that this movie wouldn't be that good, which seems like a good strategy: I enjoyed War World Z.

In the aftermath, the story seems like a highly condensed view into a world overrun by a virus that resembles zombies, but doesn't quite get there. Also, it seems like we get a very narrow view with glimpses of something greater and vaster on the outside, and the overall story-building might have benefited from expanding the experience. Now, the emotional baggage seemed elusive and the audience has a harder time actually feeling the emotional layers that are supposed to be there.

The action, actor performances and CGI were nothing out of the ordinary. All in all, the movie was nothing out of the ordinary. The low rating kept the action rather tame, with a lot of off-screen violence, and save for a few jumpy moments, there was nothing scary about the movie, although there were nice seconds of suspense here and there.
Meth-dudeAug 13, 2014
The action begins really soon in the movie,and there is action non-stop.The zombies are really fast and they are more intelligent than the others.The only bad point is the blood,there is no blood in the movie.In a zombie movie we areThe action begins really soon in the movie,and there is action non-stop.The zombies are really fast and they are more intelligent than the others.The only bad point is the blood,there is no blood in the movie.In a zombie movie we are expecting to see blood but in this one there is none. Expand
ns0lAug 11, 2014
Just a real big movie. I don't know the numbers. But this probably cost them too much. The story is not classic. It's great. The scenes are really amazing. I've never seen something similar. How did they do this? It seems real, not like theJust a real big movie. I don't know the numbers. But this probably cost them too much. The story is not classic. It's great. The scenes are really amazing. I've never seen something similar. How did they do this? It seems real, not like the usual cut scenes and other tricks. I liked this movie, and I really wanted it to be much longer Expand
AdrianChanJul 27, 2014
The story is very well-paced. The plot can constantly keep me interested. Acting is good. A lot of intense moment and action. Special effect / CG is also excellent. Quite a lot of unrealistic scene that don't really make sense though. I alsoThe story is very well-paced. The plot can constantly keep me interested. Acting is good. A lot of intense moment and action. Special effect / CG is also excellent. Quite a lot of unrealistic scene that don't really make sense though. I also think that the movie ends too suddenly. If you a fan of the book you can straight up give this movie a zero but if you are new to World War Z and simply want to watch an action-packed movie, this is the movie for you. BUT you are warned, if you are seeking for a horror movie, don't watch this. This is an exciting movie only. Expand
ThomasSmithsonJul 24, 2014
BRAD PITT COLLECTS ANOTHER PAYCHECK ....and audiences continue to get dumbed down into paying for lazy trash like wwz

don't expect to be horrified, expect to be bored and annoyed
DiskJul 14, 2014
This movie was not surprising, and neither too creative nor groundbreaking. You shouldn't be shocked by this movie, but you’re the zombie lover then you should leave content. Brad Pitt was not brilliant with the role he was given but hisThis movie was not surprising, and neither too creative nor groundbreaking. You shouldn't be shocked by this movie, but you’re the zombie lover then you should leave content. Brad Pitt was not brilliant with the role he was given but his attempt was decent. World War Z strays away from the novel it once became and left as a just another movie. Expand
SimpleReviewzJun 25, 2014
When you read this complete review, you'll be very surprised that I still gave World War Z (WWZ) this rating. That's because WWZ has one very big problem, which I will talk about. It's amazing though, that outside of that one problem,When you read this complete review, you'll be very surprised that I still gave World War Z (WWZ) this rating. That's because WWZ has one very big problem, which I will talk about. It's amazing though, that outside of that one problem, everything in WWZ is good enough for it to get a 9 out of 10. WWZ is very different from other zombie flicks. It's not filled with gore, and it's not like The Walking Dead where they try to survive in a post-apocalypse world. It basically is, well, a world war with zombies. In terms of acting, WWZ's only shining star is Brad Pitt. Everybody else is basic. WWZ mixes up genres, too. It is a thriller, horror, and action movie. However, if you are a true die hard horror fan, you might be disappointed (wasn't a problem for me). WWZ's action is hard to describe. It is definitely intense and has good fear building, but it's not the kind of violence you'd expect. I loved the zombie action, but it's not exactly what Transformers fans would want. That's okay. It's beautifully shot, too. Some of the best parts come from when thousands to millions of zombies are piling up on each other to wreck havoc. I loved every single part of WWZ except....THE STORY AND ENDING. It starts off fairly good. As it progresses though, it just becomes so jumbled and convoluted. The plot can get dumb at times, too. It was a big problem as it went on. The conclusion leaves so much to be desired and it's one of those types that just screams "SEQUEL!". I hate those kind of endings. Besides the story and ending, WWZ is constantly entertaining. Expand
43in2014Jun 17, 2014
Prior to watching this: I have not read the comics.
Review: Disjointed film with isolated incidents. Same old zombies stuff. The film was only saved by its last act. Not worth watching.
DuckNationMay 25, 2014
World War Z is a entertaining movie but the fact that is shares the same name as the best-seller book is an insult. This film has nothing to do with the book and it should have never been called World War Z to begin with. I was expecting soWorld War Z is a entertaining movie but the fact that is shares the same name as the best-seller book is an insult. This film has nothing to do with the book and it should have never been called World War Z to begin with. I was expecting so much from this movie since it was going to be a Blockbuster zombie film staring Brad Pitt so what was not to like. With all the production problems this film had id have to say i was actually pretty surprised by how much it didnt suck. Sure i would have loved a different director i just dont think Marc Forster can do action movies i think we all remember how bad Quantum of Solace was. Another thing is the fact that its a PG-13 movie makes it a hard sell there was barely any gore in the movie and thats what zombie movies thrive on even the uncut version they released was weak. Watching the trailer though i thought the CGI was going to be crap esspecially the Israel part but i was wrong and it ended up looking pretty decent. The editing was a mess and it felt like we would go to one place kill some zombies then go to another place and do the same thing it was pointlesss. The ending was crap though i see that they opened it up for a sequel but id rather hope this film doesnt get one.

Overall i give it a 6.5
phildogMay 9, 2014
One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I was literally yawning while watching a plain crash from inside the plane. Total snooze fest. The whole time I wasn't invested with bland characters and absurd plotlines. At least the disasterOne of the most boring movies I've ever seen. I was literally yawning while watching a plain crash from inside the plane. Total snooze fest. The whole time I wasn't invested with bland characters and absurd plotlines. At least the disaster movie 2012 knew it was being absurd, but this movie seems to take it's absurd unpolished ideas seriously.

I owe this movie this, it inspired me to read the book, and the book really is a superb reflections of the times we live in. It's such a shame they took the idea and skewered it so bad.
JleylandMar 25, 2014
World war z follows he story of a UN employee (brad Pitt) on his mission to halt a zombie pandemic. The film starts off great and gets abit dull in the middle but towards the end it picks up. It is tense from start to finish the only thing IWorld war z follows he story of a UN employee (brad Pitt) on his mission to halt a zombie pandemic. The film starts off great and gets abit dull in the middle but towards the end it picks up. It is tense from start to finish the only thing I would heavily criticise is the fact they barely go into detail as to how the outbreak started, they could of added a whole new layer to the story but instead they just used the main character as the focal point without adding anyone else into the fray. The film has got some bad press but generally I'd say its worth watching as it's not your usual zombie movie, it's actually believable and the zombies actually seem intelligent rather than walking around aimlessly. The acting as a whole is pretty bad imo, the only actors that really deserve credit are the kids, as brad Pitt barely says anything and all his wife does is look into the camera looking **** scared. I would of gave the movie a much higher rating if they would of just built on the plot, which I have heared the book does very well. Expand
oblique15Mar 24, 2014
I was expecting World War Z to be an over the top zombie movie, but it actually had a good story, and was fun to watch.I have not read the book, so I have no clue if it will live up to the expectations of those who have.
SpankyMar 20, 2014
I put off watching this film for a long time because I hate and avoid Zombie movies. Having said that, this was a pretty good action film. Surprise, surprise. The Zombies weren't overly gory and the race to find a cure kept me interestedI put off watching this film for a long time because I hate and avoid Zombie movies. Having said that, this was a pretty good action film. Surprise, surprise. The Zombies weren't overly gory and the race to find a cure kept me interested throughout the film. Expand
lukechristianscMar 11, 2014
i love brad pitt's world war z it is the most exciting zombie film and marc foster film i have ever seen in my life . if there's a sequel then i cant wait to watch it
OfficialMar 8, 2014
It has its moments, but they're not enough. The script falls short in places, and it needs more emotion. The film does offer us effective suspense and tension in several scenes, and it will be a good film for zombie fans.
AlienSpaceBatsMar 1, 2014
I think the Z stands for Zzz. A banal, wishy-washy showcase of faceless people running away from faceless zombies. World War Zzzz quacks and farts around like a gutted 28 Days Later for the stupid, but what's really weird is that it showsI think the Z stands for Zzz. A banal, wishy-washy showcase of faceless people running away from faceless zombies. World War Zzzz quacks and farts around like a gutted 28 Days Later for the stupid, but what's really weird is that it shows little to no real gore, the result is an bloodless chase by rasping extras in bad make-up. Expand
SwiftWafflesFeb 16, 2014
It did not live up to what we all were hoping for. It has a few interesting scenes here and there but if you go in and watch it expecting a grand and epic zombie film, you're going to be disappointed. There's not a whole lot of "zombie"It did not live up to what we all were hoping for. It has a few interesting scenes here and there but if you go in and watch it expecting a grand and epic zombie film, you're going to be disappointed. There's not a whole lot of "zombie" elements to the movie as it's not very gory at all. And that's fine, there are movies like that but this one didn't do it right. If you enjoy zombie films, it's not for you. If you want something to watch and you have nothing to do, go for it. Expand
DukeJonJan 24, 2014
One of the best zombie films I've seen. Heard lots about the production problems but if you put that to one side you get a taught, believable and exciting drama. Some of the acting is superb, though personally I thought Brad Pitt was out ofOne of the best zombie films I've seen. Heard lots about the production problems but if you put that to one side you get a taught, believable and exciting drama. Some of the acting is superb, though personally I thought Brad Pitt was out of his comfort zone playing this character - they should have got someone else to do it. For me he was actually the weakest character in the film. The epic nature of the plot captures the end of humanity in a very convincing way, last film I saw when it felt this good was war of the worlds. Some of the set-pieces, such as the attack on Jerusalem, are exhilarating. Ending felt very tacked on (as it actually was) and the change of pace at the end let the film end on a slightly disappointing note. However if you want a great zombie film then give this a try. Expand
HMB2481Jan 21, 2014
The move was ok, but It could have been better. If you haven't read the book, Go ahead and watch it. If you have, you might be a little disappointed, but overall, it is a good movie i would watch again
TheHorrorLabJan 21, 2014
How best to describe this movie? Umm... Well have you ever sat through a 2-hour film and at the end just uttered the sound Blah? Well this is that movie. World War Z is full of uninspiring characters, a woeful script and a narrative withoutHow best to describe this movie? Umm... Well have you ever sat through a 2-hour film and at the end just uttered the sound Blah? Well this is that movie. World War Z is full of uninspiring characters, a woeful script and a narrative without any meaningful content. Yes the ridiculous turbo charged zombies with cat like reflexes do capture your attention, if that’s what you think a zombie should look like. The truth however is this, World War Z doesn't spend enough time making you believe, evoking emotion between characters and developing the story in an intellectual manner. Each scene feels like its made out of toilet paper and then stuck to the next with super glue, you may think I'm being harsh but this is a movie with an enormous budget based on a fantastic book. Its certainly action over content my friends.

On a positive note Brad Pitt does have some gravitas and the solution to conquering the Undead is pretty cool, but that said it's still a very disappointing outcome to what should have been a great movie.
BrinncdeewhyJan 16, 2014
Excellent! I love the zombie's in this picture. They mound into giant piles! whats not to love. Brad Pitt does a wonderful job leading this film though adventure, carnage and excellent zombie encounters.
Iky009Jan 6, 2014
Grande título de 2013, um dos filmes que mais gostei do anoGrande título de 2013, um dos filmes que mais gostei do ano Expand
python2000Jan 3, 2014
Brad Pitt and his long, luscious locks star as the main character Gerry Lane in this supposedly political thriller. Director Marc Forster unsuccessfully tries to emulate the mix of exciting and political effects which others (George A Romero,Brad Pitt and his long, luscious locks star as the main character Gerry Lane in this supposedly political thriller. Director Marc Forster unsuccessfully tries to emulate the mix of exciting and political effects which others (George A Romero, Danny Boyle) have done so well. The action scenes are clear and don't overuse shaky cam, even though there is a lot of it. While the acting is quite good and benefits from Tyler Durden himself Brad Pitt (and the new Doctor Who Peter Capaldi), the story is eerily familiar cough cough 28 Days Later cough cough and the resolution is just ****
When the most exciting thing about a movie is Brad Pitt's new haircut, you have to accept that it's failed at being enjoyable. World War Z is nothing special, pretty much everything about it is just satisfactory.
Tss5078Dec 26, 2013
When the first World War Z book was published it took young readers by storm and climbed to the top of the New York Times Best Sellers list. It was destine to become a movie, especially now, with the popularity of zombies, but ultimately, theWhen the first World War Z book was published it took young readers by storm and climbed to the top of the New York Times Best Sellers list. It was destine to become a movie, especially now, with the popularity of zombies, but ultimately, the highly anticipated film fails to deliver anything different. U.N. Employee, Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt), is out with his family when a recently discovered virus hits the United States and all hell breaks loose. The first 45 minutes of this film were literally like the pilot of The Walking Dead. No one knows what's going on, people are panicking, it was all very predictable. The film does go into a different direction after that, but how many different ways of doing a zombie film are there? Lane starts traveling the world seeking a cure for the disease, while at the same time trying to avoid being attacked. The unfortunate fact is that no matter how good the acting or the writing, there is very little you can actually do with a zombie film. The zombies and the circumstances behind the outbreak are always a little different, but ultimately it becomes about survival or the race to find a cure. Brad Pitt is terrific, and as I have been saying for year, it doesn't matter how good looking the guy is, he belongs in action films! This is the genre where he excels and even though World War Z was painfully predictable, Pitt makes it worth watching. He is the focus of the story and it takes a lot of quick thinking and tremendous stunts to keep him alive. For me that was the best part of the film. There was a lot of hype behind World War Z and it was a very intense film, but like I said, there is very little you can do with an end of the world/zombie film that hasn't been done over and over again. While some what entertaining, World War Z is ultimately just another copy cat. Expand
ShaddixDec 23, 2013
The movie is great at what it aims to be: a disastermovie. It has not much to do with the book besides the name. If you want a scarry horrormovie this isn't for you. But if you want an entertaining adventure/disastermovie World War Z is great!
Hallow_99Dec 22, 2013
It was a very wonderful film! The best film about zombies I've ever seen. I don't like a lot of blood and guts, severed limbs and toilet humour in zombie-films. Yes, this film of course has some stupid or impossible moments, but the film,It was a very wonderful film! The best film about zombies I've ever seen. I don't like a lot of blood and guts, severed limbs and toilet humour in zombie-films. Yes, this film of course has some stupid or impossible moments, but the film, despite all bad, is fantastic. I enjoyed it in 3D and I watch it at home sometimes... seldom. Cool film! Expand
racingforlife13Dec 13, 2013
No question about it: 10 our of 10. The whole movie is intense from the opening scene, to the happy ending. Those zombies were so intense and awesome i cried The movie did have some scary moments that just made it all the more better. TheNo question about it: 10 our of 10. The whole movie is intense from the opening scene, to the happy ending. Those zombies were so intense and awesome i cried The movie did have some scary moments that just made it all the more better. The movie was really fast paced for some people which is understandable (super quick zombie), but hey, if i have thousand of zombies sprinting towards me, i'll be running for my life.

This is personally for me is my favorite movie (apart from the Fast and Furious series. R.I.P. Paul Walker.) it is by far my most favorite zombie movie. This is honestly the only thing that could have been better than The Walking Dead TV Series.

Bottom Line: Best Zombie Movie; World War Z.Best Zombie TV Show; The Walking Dead. (also 10 out of 10)
KaptainHutchinoDec 12, 2013
Jumping straight into the action is both a blessing and a curse. Most of it seems recycled, but is sure to please fans of the zombie genre. The lab scene was by far the best part.
AGarcia732Dec 10, 2013
While I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombieWhile I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombie apocalypse. The movie felt rushed; but with all the trouble World War Z had during production I'm surprised it wasn't a complete disaster If you're a zombie gore fan than you'll be disappointed since the violence was toned down. (Though I appreciated the lack of bloody gore, since I'm honestly not a huge fan of it. However, you could get the Unrated version if you want to see blood and gore.) If you're also a fan of the book, please note: The movies nothing like the book. The only things the book and movie have in common are the title. Nothing else. It's like I Am Legend, just with more people and zombies. I did not like the script, and I think there should've been more depth to the story and characters. The movie was kinda anticlimactic. You should watch The Walking Dead instead.

If you liked this review, read my other work by clicking on my name and mark this as helpful. I review movies, TV shows, and videogames.

(P.S, you may have seen this review by me under t
eagleeyevikingNov 29, 2013
Rox22Nov 26, 2013
A decent enough movie that seems to be the only good "fast-zombie" movie I have seen. But that is all that this is: A generic zombie movie, but updated to be a bit more modern than traditional.

The pacing is just far too fast, and I get

The pacing is just far too fast, and I get the feeling this movie would have worked better as a TV series (oh wait it does, Walking Dead anyone.) While I get the rushed narrative is intentionally put there to emphasize the atmosphere of the movie and also make us feel as rushed as the characters. But I went into this wanting to watch a movie, not partake in it.

Overall:
World War Z is entertaining and can be very enjoyable if you want action and adrenaline in almost every scene. But, I prefer to see a movie with a bit more depth, and for me that is what this movie lacks. For me, I just say *meh* when I'm asked what I thought of it.

Fun, but instantly forgettable.
raviopatraNov 25, 2013
Well, it turns out to be true, what people have been saying; that this movies takes zombie apocalypse more seriously than everyone else. The story is very much different from the book, though. In the end, it was very thrilling but not quiteWell, it turns out to be true, what people have been saying; that this movies takes zombie apocalypse more seriously than everyone else. The story is very much different from the book, though. In the end, it was very thrilling but not quite entertaining. Expand
Dimitris01Nov 25, 2013
Unlike other zombie movies ‘World War Z’ isn't scary or disturbing. It has a resourceful hero played by Brad Pitt, a constant race against time in various regions of the world, large-scale, well-directed action (the opening sequence in theUnlike other zombie movies ‘World War Z’ isn't scary or disturbing. It has a resourceful hero played by Brad Pitt, a constant race against time in various regions of the world, large-scale, well-directed action (the opening sequence in the city center conveys the sense of panic and death) and secondary characters who aren't decorative. There are some plot holes (no armour is used against the undead, the Israelites do not supervise the area beyond their wall) and the climax is not strong enough but generally this is a satisfying film.
argonautis.eu
JermsNov 22, 2013
A tad cheesy, and the storyline is completely lacking backstory. Over all it's a good movie but a onetime watcher for sure. It jumped into the insanity of the zombie hoard onslaught without explaining anything about the main charactersA tad cheesy, and the storyline is completely lacking backstory. Over all it's a good movie but a onetime watcher for sure. It jumped into the insanity of the zombie hoard onslaught without explaining anything about the main characters except that he used to be important. I just didn't really connect with the main character and the ending really seemed corny and obvious. Expand
IamthejuanNov 22, 2013
Wow, I am actually shocked. After years of horrible, homogeneous zombie apocalypse movies, this movie is a breath of fresh air. When I saw brad pitt on the cover, I knew it couldnt be terrible, and it turned out to be worthy of such a topWow, I am actually shocked. After years of horrible, homogeneous zombie apocalypse movies, this movie is a breath of fresh air. When I saw brad pitt on the cover, I knew it couldnt be terrible, and it turned out to be worthy of such a top rated actor. I am really glad they made this because the R.E films were a huge disappointment, and if I have to watch another british port of 28 adderol later I think I would puke. If you want a good modern zombie flick, this is it. Who cares if it isnt like the book, its not like this is a Tolkien port, and it's still a great movie. I dont understand how people are saying there was no plot. The plot was easily the most intricate of any zombie series other than R.E. which actually had too long and complex of a manifestation. There is plenty of suspense rather than simply relying on gore and zombies popping out of nowhere at easily predictable moments. The character development and conflict resolution were brilliantly written and acted. Some of these people putting down Brads acting should try their own hand at theatre and see if they can even get in the door of a film studio.

****************MINOR SPOILER********************

Best part of the film: after days of running and killing zombies, Brad Pitt finally figures out a way to "avoid" the zombies "smell". So what does he do? He sits down in a hallway full of them and pops a can of soda.
BKMNov 8, 2013
As zombie flicks go, World War Z is a surprisingly muted affair. There's never a true sense of fear or mass hysteria and Brad Pitt seems to be on some sort of sedative throughout the film. The suspense finally starts to kick in during theAs zombie flicks go, World War Z is a surprisingly muted affair. There's never a true sense of fear or mass hysteria and Brad Pitt seems to be on some sort of sedative throughout the film. The suspense finally starts to kick in during the final act, but even that isn't enough to make Marc Forster's popcorn flick more than an afterthought once the credits roll. Expand
andrewgarcia732Nov 6, 2013
While I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombieWhile I am a fan of both Brad Pitt and zombies, I was pretty disappointed. It had action and the CGI was pretty good, but apart from that, everything else was just another interpretation of an overused theme: zombie survival/a zombie apocalypse. The movie had a lot of plot holes; felt rushed; and was somewhat predictable. If you're a zombie gore fan than you'll be disappointed since the violence was toned down. (Though I appreciated the lack of bloody gore, since I'm honestly not a huge fan of it.) If you're also a fan of the book, please note: The movies nothing like the book. The only things the book and movie have in common are the title. Nothing else. It's like I Am Legend, just with more people and zombies. I did not like the script, and I think there should've been more depth to the story and characters. The movie was kinda anticlimactic. You should watch The Walking Dead instead.

HouseClarkzoniaNov 6, 2013
Well I do enjoy zombie films, this one sticks out saying; "Over Here, watch me!" The first and second segments of the film where great although when the survivors begin to Infect themselves with Sexual diseases, cancer and other nasties. IWell I do enjoy zombie films, this one sticks out saying; "Over Here, watch me!" The first and second segments of the film where great although when the survivors begin to Infect themselves with Sexual diseases, cancer and other nasties. I was left in the Cinema with my jaw on the floor because of how ridiculous that Idea was, Die faster then the Infection. Nice, why not throw yourself into the horde of the infected. Expand
thekillergreeceOct 30, 2013
Its great game, I loved it...Great story,setting and acting.... This zombie movie however is totally different from Classic zombies where zombie bite you,walk terrible etc. This one, they move very fast like sport car and bite you and youIts great game, I loved it...Great story,setting and acting.... This zombie movie however is totally different from Classic zombies where zombie bite you,walk terrible etc. This one, they move very fast like sport car and bite you and you turn in 12 seconds...Great film! Expand
kris2furOct 27, 2013
Why does this movie have a PG-13 rating is this Hollywood's answer to making more money?
I really liked 28 weeks later best zombie movie ever, alright plot great suspense great gore.
This is not that movie, this is boring actors, dumb story
This is not that movie, this is boring actors, dumb story and eventual who cares.
Why do we need PG-13 zombie movies? I would not take my thirteen year old to this movie unless it was having sleeping difficulties.
If you like zombie movies this probably isn't for you.
DaEagleOct 27, 2013
It's nothing unique or special, but it surprises with the great twists and turns. I was prepared to watch a mediocre zombie film, but I ended up watching a relatively decent movie. It's also visually striking. But, despite it's twists, it'sIt's nothing unique or special, but it surprises with the great twists and turns. I was prepared to watch a mediocre zombie film, but I ended up watching a relatively decent movie. It's also visually striking. But, despite it's twists, it's sometimes even cliche and cheesy. The story isn't so impacting, ending with a predictable conclusion.
Despite it's numerous disappointments, it's still a very enjoyable and tensional film. (Final Score: 7.10)
ZombifactionOct 20, 2013
I'll start by saying as an adaptation it is a failure. That said not comparing this to the book and looking at it as it's own movie with nothing else, I have to say this movie is boring and on more than one occasion I was actively hoping BradI'll start by saying as an adaptation it is a failure. That said not comparing this to the book and looking at it as it's own movie with nothing else, I have to say this movie is boring and on more than one occasion I was actively hoping Brad Pitt would die and we could follow some other more interesting character that is around him.

The story follows a complete Mary Sue or Gary Stu who is incapable of failing at literally anything he does. Even in his failures he succeeds! He robs a pharmacy and find the exact looter who is not only willing to help him but then encourages him while complete chaos break out around him and did I mention he gets the exact last bit of medicine that he need? After being led on to believe it is all out the looter shows up to ask him what he is looking for and give it to him and wish him luck. Oh but it was just humanity helping each other out. It would be if it happened again or maybe if while he wasn't looking for it his wife wasn't about to get raped. He and his children survive a car crash, not just a fender bender but a full of T-bone collision while his asthmatic daughter isn't buckled up and the only problem she has is that she is hyperventilating but she is still capable of running since at that exact moment they are swarmed by "zombies". We are introduced to much more interesting characters all through the movie only to watch them die or just leave. Brad Pitt tells people he need to get back to his family, only to have a random no named soldier try to reprimand him by questioning why he thinks he is so special since they all have families that want to get back to and he never gives a reason why he is so important. In fact his character has no importance there is nothing that makes him so special. They say he was a reporter at one time and that he was good but he does nothing that no one else can't do. Everything about this movie is boring or bad. I'm a fan of the original book but I knew going into this it had nothing to do with it in anyway other than title and I still came out disappointed and upset that it cost me after matinee.
Trev29Oct 19, 2013
Another zombie movie is more than I can handle, but World War Z manages to bring a darker tone and intensity than the usual funny gore fest. However, there is too much boring dialogue and the characters are humorless and uninteresting.
SoricfullOct 17, 2013
Well. It's a good movie, but, the thing that like 90% of the Earth's population gets infected in 1-2 days, it's not that well think ed, and to be honest, this movie is more known because it has Brad Pitt in it.
ElucidateOct 9, 2013
World War Z is not a movie that you should take too seriously. Being a fun movie, there is nonetheless some good acting and excellent visuals to be found.
SwatiOct 5, 2013
The first one and a half hour was a roller coaster ride. It was splendid. Fighting in South Korea, in the streets of Israel and inside a plane. The climax, unfortunately, dragged the tempo to a halt. Where it was epic in scale before, theThe first one and a half hour was a roller coaster ride. It was splendid. Fighting in South Korea, in the streets of Israel and inside a plane. The climax, unfortunately, dragged the tempo to a halt. Where it was epic in scale before, the movie decided to draw inward and concern itself with a petty WHO facility. That wasn't a very important event in the face of the worldwide pandemic. It should have been resolved quickly and the scope once again returned to epic. That event, even if it was very difficult to resolve, was not worthy of the climax and should have not been afforded more than ten minutes. The climax should have been something more in tune with what had happened before it. The production values are of course brilliant and it shows. The zombies, in my opinion, have not been done better than this. Brad Pitt plays his usual suave self, unflustered by anything going on about. It could have been better. The Israeli actress was a pleasant surprise. She played her character with resolve and skill. Expand
FirebalaOct 4, 2013
Not a fan of zombie movies but I asked if Mr. Pitt had the main character look, but I was disappointed, no more than an average movie, even better and more exciting I've seen in this genre.
TheMatureSqueakOct 2, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World War Z is a realistic movie with impressive CGI. However, the story is very repetitive on how the main character(s) are the only ones that survive in every catastrophic event. For example, how come the two main characters survived and no one else? Expand
JMastersSep 29, 2013
I found this movie very enjoyable. I was nervous it was going to be like any other "zombie" movie, kind of like the Vampire fad had gotten really played out, but it wasn't anything like that. Honestly who gives a crap if it was nothing likeI found this movie very enjoyable. I was nervous it was going to be like any other "zombie" movie, kind of like the Vampire fad had gotten really played out, but it wasn't anything like that. Honestly who gives a crap if it was nothing like the book. I haven't read the book, nor do I plan too. Reading is just not enjoyable for me. Only giving it a 9 because I am hoping they make a sequel. Expand
Dr_FetusSep 28, 2013
Could have been worse. It wasn't anything like the book, but I sat through it and felt neutral about it. It was a bit of a let down in the fact that the trailers looked so much better than the film actually turned out to be, but I'veCould have been worse. It wasn't anything like the book, but I sat through it and felt neutral about it. It was a bit of a let down in the fact that the trailers looked so much better than the film actually turned out to be, but I've definitely seen worse. Expand
SJ-ULTI-ReiewsSep 27, 2013
World War Z has a pretty good story, the way the infection starts and how they get rid of the infection. I did not like brad pitt in this movie, during the whole movie he had a look on his face like if he was bored or something.
TheQuietGamerSep 27, 2013
A surprisingly realistic take on the zombie movie genre. The plot is smart and the information it presents is plausible. Characters act like real people and make intelligent decisions quickly and when their back is against the wall. Also theA surprisingly realistic take on the zombie movie genre. The plot is smart and the information it presents is plausible. Characters act like real people and make intelligent decisions quickly and when their back is against the wall. Also the acting is superb. Surprisingly this is a zombie movie that shy's away from blood and gore by hiding the bloodier moments just off screen. This movie is tense, exciting, and most importantly smart. If the zombie apocalypse does happen it will be a lot like this movie. So if you're a zombie fanatic like myself this is a must watch. Expand
lordcsxSep 27, 2013
I sat down to watch this movie with no expectations whatsoever, but it was hard to ignore the fact that this is not a zombie movie at all, because, you know there are some indications in the title that led me to believe that this in factI sat down to watch this movie with no expectations whatsoever, but it was hard to ignore the fact that this is not a zombie movie at all, because, you know there are some indications in the title that led me to believe that this in fact will be a zombie movie, so I'll stick with that from now on.
I did not red the book, I merely saw this sorry excuse for a zombie apocalypse movie a genre that I love and cherish as it is. I grew up on George A. Romero's zombie movies, the ones with sluggish undead people craving for human "braaainz!". I realize of course that that type of monsters are too slow for our modern movie munching society but consider this, if the British were managed to make a fast paced zombie movie with great action scenes and compelling story from a marginally smaller budget (28 Days Later), then why could not the Americans achieve the same?
The protagonist the average male figure who is just looking out for his loved ones is common enough in these movies (and video games of the genre), but this movie failed to utilize him the way it meant to be. We got Brad Pitt loosened on a wild goose chase across continents and countries achieving virtually nothing, and without skills relying on sheer luck to survive and magically save the whole world at the end.
The story was not engaging and the climax came too late to stimulate my attention, although it would have been great for a family drama, but clearly not for a thriller/horror show.
My verdict is that this movie is a one time popcorn movie which did not deserve the £13 fee I had to spend on it.
LTRSep 24, 2013
This is a decent zombie movie.It might be me but I thought this was more of a comedy than it is serious.The story is okay,the characters are not that good and the action is decent.
hendraoneSep 23, 2013
the new concept of zombies... well at least its virus and lethal. i very much enjoy the movie. cant stop to amaze, no room for rest. brad pitt played very well. and u have to give credit for the "zombies". they look so scary, scarier thanthe new concept of zombies... well at least its virus and lethal. i very much enjoy the movie. cant stop to amaze, no room for rest. brad pitt played very well. and u have to give credit for the "zombies". they look so scary, scarier than residen evil's zombie Expand
theseparatorSep 22, 2013
World War Z must have one of the shortest first acts in film history. The first act, usually the first half hour is generally where the conflict is introduced. This film opens with Gerry Lee, Brad Pitt, a former UN investigator havingWorld War Z must have one of the shortest first acts in film history. The first act, usually the first half hour is generally where the conflict is introduced. This film opens with Gerry Lee, Brad Pitt, a former UN investigator having breakfast with his family. Five minutes later, BAM, zombies. No time is wasted getting straight to the conflict. Begin second act.

The story is not complicated: zombies take over the world and Brad Pitt is obliged to save the day. The assault of zombie movies over the past few years has been such an onslaught that by default the genre itself now gives me an automatic feeling of “I don’t care.” World War Z is very much another zombie film, but a damn exciting one. Even the script’s name for becoming a zombie, turning Zeke, is subtlety refreshingly

“It’s not what you say but how you say it.” With cinematic excellence, Director Marc Forster breaths new live into this tired cliché. It’s all in the delivery, and WWZ is all delivery.

As Gerry Lee (Pitt) travels the world trying to solve the mystery behind the infection causing people to turn “Zeke,” the scenes that unfold during his expedition are so exciting that story arc is incidental in comparison. A memorable scene is when a military commander becomes infected. He’s got about ten seconds: “I’m a goddamn Zeke…I got this one boys.” He puts a bullet in this own head

The exotic set designs of the adventurous locales are the highlights of the film. First an adrenaline pumped escape from an infested Philadelphian housing project, then to a US navy ship at sea, then over to a US military base in Korea where a massive fire fight breaks out. Next Lee arrives in Israel where the citizens have protected themselves against the Zekes in a totally ingenious, but vulnerable walled up construction. The set design here is just incredible and when the situation goes awry, and things start blowing up, the visual effects are some of the best around, bar none.
geedupSep 22, 2013
Not really a fan of the genre so my rating is not so high. However if you like this sort of thing, you'd probably like this movie. Good action but missing the blood and gore which seems to define the genre. Although, beware the plot is slowNot really a fan of the genre so my rating is not so high. However if you like this sort of thing, you'd probably like this movie. Good action but missing the blood and gore which seems to define the genre. Although, beware the plot is slow to develop and painfully obvious to endure at times. This is not Pitt's strongest performance either in my opinion. Expand
MarkDetrelSep 20, 2013
Great movie! Maybe is not like the book, but is really funny, creepy (in some moments), cool, the performances are great, the effects WOW amazing. World War Z is one of my favorite movies of this year.
lasttimeisawSep 20, 2013
Like gold dust, a hefty-invested blockbuster with a problematic partial re-filming (including a complete overhaul of the ending owing to its financial curb) and a procrastinated release date could actually trounce its foreboding karma andLike gold dust, a hefty-invested blockbuster with a problematic partial re-filming (including a complete overhaul of the ending owing to its financial curb) and a procrastinated release date could actually trounce its foreboding karma and pans out to be a competent money-maker in the bloodthirsty summer season, not to mention has earned itself a sensational caption as the highest grossing film ever for the mega-star Brad Pitt”.

Directed by Marc Forster (QUANTUM OF SOLACE 2008, 7/10; STRANGER THAN FICTION 2006, 7/10; STAY 2005, 8/10; FINDING NEVERLAND 2004, 7/10; MONSTER’S BALL 2001, 7/10), who is to some extent oscillating between a major company’s hack and an accomplished auteur in the indiewood. WORLD WAR Z craftily grafts mind-blowing visual feasts onto an apocalyptic milieu with rapid-running zombies infected by unknown virus, and keep contaminating the residual humankind. The backstory sounds familiar but film constructs an alternative coda, not the hackneyed one-man-saves-the-world heroism, instead, it offers a more plausible expedient to both avoid the callow overkill and underscore the future with a bleaker hope for the story to continue.

The film never stray from a standard zombiefest routine, but the execution is commendable, an indeed white-knuckle experience from A to Z, the process of this prerogative family’s running away from a zombie-invading Philadelphia has been handled even-handedly, although Pitt’s wife and daughters would only be the burden for his further mission.

Bounding from South Korea to Jerusalem, then a considerably smaller-scaled finale inside a secular lab in Scotland, the film brings us a gripping journey but there is no superhero to save mankind.

In the South Korea chapter, an unexpected self-shooting accident happens out of the left field, in view of the executor’s seemingly essential role as the last straw to stop this mess. This is a wonderful surprise I don’t mind watching more on screens nowadays. Moreover, the treatment of silence is another feat creatively applied here, pretty contrasts to the common hubbub in the action pack, but as a corollary, there will be an inconvenient silence-breaker thanks to the unwitting wife’s timely call, otherwise, the act is too smooth and casualties can never be spared in this case (farewell, James Badge Dale).

However, the pinnacle no doubt should attribute to the raiding of City of David, excellent airborne shots render viewers a stately sacredness to witness the havoc, a sarcastic indication of a rabble of Muslims hymning cheerfully would insanely precipitate zombies to rally outside the bulwarks and eventually break into the city thanks to their umpteen quantities, which is a tad offensive but from the prospect of a non-believer, the irony is a bonanza since we are in desperation for some gallows humor under the circumstances.

Most dissenters would argue the reshoot of the final act (an original plan includes a massive combat sets in Moscow) is a letdown simply because it is not epic enough to culminate the prescribed “the bigger the better” adrenaline drive, nevertheless, this thriftier approach options a no-gut-no-glory scheme which turns out to be a fairly conducted indoor thriller, and one can even laugh about the ostentatious plugging of the beverage company during the revelational discovery. The cast is inherently viable, Pitt underplays his charisma to be more approachable, it is rather comforting to see Enos clench a major film role and she could have been a better fighter than her screen hubby.

In a nutshell, WORLD WAR Z is an entertaining popcorn fare, and doesn’t try to patronize and outsmart its audience and showboats its CGI stunts to offer a bombarding sense of instantaneous grandiosity, which ultimately will fall bland in aftertaste. This alone can make most tentpoles pale in comparison!
Kevbo85Sep 19, 2013
Your enjoyment of World War Z doesn't hinge solely on your enjoyment of the book which it claims to be based on, but owes it to anyone who has read the book to disclaim "loosely based". That being said, if you've read the book beforehand, theYour enjoyment of World War Z doesn't hinge solely on your enjoyment of the book which it claims to be based on, but owes it to anyone who has read the book to disclaim "loosely based". That being said, if you've read the book beforehand, the trailers alone should let you know that the film is going in wholly different direction that Max Brooks laid out in his novel.

I am a huge fan of the zombie franchise, which George Romero essentially put a patent on and dozens of films have branched off from over the years. What "World War Z" does is attempt to mesh the behavioral patterns of the "28 Days Later" infected undead (I refuse to call them zombies, zombies are the slow, shuffling Romero staple) with the essential ideas behind Brooks' book. It does this admirably, but it's a direction that ultimately didn't need to be taken in order to make the film successful. In my mind, it felt like a lazy way of telling a story that builds itself up, cutting time off of the reel in favor of a more fast-paced, energized film experience.

Being a huge fan of the book, I refused to shell out the $10 to see it in the theaters; as I said, the trailers told me clearly that the film was going to diverge far enough from the book for me to lower my expectations. As a rental, and for what it is, it's nowhere near terrible. Remove all comparisons to the book it takes minor inspirations from, and Brad Pitt does a solid job of weaving his way through a decently scripted and constructed horror film.

This ended up being Pitt's highest grossing film to date, and a combination of factors play into that, not least of which being a rather stale list of opposing options in theaters at the time of its release. Still, it's an enjoyable film, however far it deviates from the source material, and however ridiculous some of us may think calling something that runs a zombie. Could have been better...and could have been a whole lot worse.
Nesbitt10Sep 18, 2013
Watchable zombie blockbuster with decent special effects, some effectively tense moments, and a solid central performance from Brad Pitt. However, it's a letdown with a strange mixture of apocalyptic/zombie material, an episodic storyline inWatchable zombie blockbuster with decent special effects, some effectively tense moments, and a solid central performance from Brad Pitt. However, it's a letdown with a strange mixture of apocalyptic/zombie material, an episodic storyline in constant motion (sometimes just to keep moving), and an emotionally blank script tagged with a PG-13 rating for the masses. The movie frequently substitutes impressive CGI shots of zombie swarms for storytelling. The rushed ending feels cheap, and fans of Brooks' source material are going to wonder what happened. Too often it feels like empty chaos in an over elaborate disaster movie. Expand
Bruce722Sep 18, 2013
I should preface this review by stating that I have not read the novel that this movie is based loosely off of. Therefore, my entire review is ignorant to any source material and is judging the movie as a stand alone film. As far as thatI should preface this review by stating that I have not read the novel that this movie is based loosely off of. Therefore, my entire review is ignorant to any source material and is judging the movie as a stand alone film. As far as that goes, I thought this was one of the best zombie films ever made. Yes, it is plagued by the same exaggerations all zombie films suffer from. However, World War Z is actually a genuinely good movie, zombie nonsense aside. The acting, led by Brad Pitt, is fantastic and the plot develops well. The intensity in the movie starts up right away so there's no lag time to deal with while they develop the setting. The setting is already familiar... it's America today. The discovery of the zombie outbreak is part of the joy in watching the film and the initial sequence where you're first introduced to the situation is one of the most intense segments in recent memory. The action itself feels very realistic, aside from the aforementioned exaggerations that is. Pitt isn't made out to be some superhero or anything so he feel real too. The only real flaws for me were the exaggerations and that the ending felt like it was rushed. The entire two hours builds to this culmination that just ends right away and doesn't give you much closure. I suppose they were going for that with how they set the scene in the closing moments but from a viewer's perspective, I would've liked it a bit differently. Overall though, this is a great movie that most people will almost certainly enjoy. Expand
jamessSep 18, 2013
Since a PG13 rated zombie movie is not going to match the gore level of The Walking Dead, or your run-of-the-mill direct to video zombie "nasty", it had to up the ante by making the zombies move like some hive-minded insects, and expand theSince a PG13 rated zombie movie is not going to match the gore level of The Walking Dead, or your run-of-the-mill direct to video zombie "nasty", it had to up the ante by making the zombies move like some hive-minded insects, and expand the action to a global level. The most effective scenes, ironically, are the ones in enclosed spaces like the plane, the stairwell, the science lab..It does become a bit of..Pitt flies to foriegn location, something happens, Pitt jumps on next flight, repeat. One positive..a genre movie that comes in UNDER two hours?!! Amazing. Expand
MovieGuysSep 17, 2013
Director Marc Forster is to be congratulated for a well done zombie apocalypse movie that never lagged and kept me entertained the whole time. Now, only if it had followed the book even one small bit, would this movie have worked perfectly.Director Marc Forster is to be congratulated for a well done zombie apocalypse movie that never lagged and kept me entertained the whole time. Now, only if it had followed the book even one small bit, would this movie have worked perfectly. But, the book's storyline wasn't one to be made into a movie of this caliber, so basically Forster is between a rock and a hard place with this one. Expand